6 replies to this topic

#1 Luckyduck

Luckyduck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Sailing fishing hunting

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:40 AM

I'm curious if anyone has any experience in retro fitting a boat with a CRO (contained retractable outboard).

How much does it cost?
How hard is it?

What about a folding/retractable inboard shaft like the Columbia Carbon 32.

I'd like to retain the boats performance of not having a sail drive or shaft but I'm tired of hulling that outboard over the rail every race. Not to mention the noise.

Comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

What boat you got? Center boarder / lead mine? Glass / Wood? ClAssic, 5kSB, sled, Cat??? What size motor you need??

#3 Luckyduck

Luckyduck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Sailing fishing hunting

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

I'm not 100% sure how realistic this is or how serious I actually am considering it, hence the post.  I currently have an Antrim 27 (sport boat with lifting keel).  I've also considered a J29 MHOB.  Like i said, in the spirit of keeping the prop out of the water, how can i enjoy some of the benefits of an inboard?     

#4 Lex Teredo

Lex Teredo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Beer, bikes, woodworking, and beer.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:08 PM

I had my older Catalina 27 retrofitted from an outboard well, to a standard transom mounted outboard. The thing was impossible to deal with in the well, it was at risk of swamping in following seas, and was hard to lift, relying on a jury rigged line and block from the top of the plate to the center of the backstay.  The transom needed rebuilding anyways so I switched over.  The new outboard mount isn't perfect, needed 4" backset to deal with the outward slanting transom and raising it takes a little effort with a boat hook but it's way better than the old outboard-in-well.   My next boat is going to be a little larger and have an inboard... I'd rather have that set of problems than outboard in well problems, or regular outboard hassle.  

If you're interested in getting outboard benefits from an inboard have you thought about a Saildrive 280?  I think you're looking at around 8-9 boatbucks, installed. 

#5 barefoot children

barefoot children

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Carbon boats and carbon golf clubs

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

There's at least 1 Antrim 27 with a Saildrive 280 ( A converted Honda OB at 110lbs) that's not retractable. 

Beware that the aluminum lower unit will corrode if left in salt water, not a problem for you however.

#6 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

Here you go. I am sure they are really cheap too.

Retractable Propulsion System

#7 Py26129

Py26129

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, the missus and the kids. Not in that order .......maybe!

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

Working link: http://www.retractab...cts/100-series/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users