#1 Enrique Ortiz

Enrique Ortiz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:SAILING
    skiing.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:10 AM

Hello, I am thinking of buying new sails to my IMX-45.

My local sailmaker has offered me a membrane called TRILAM which is made in France. I want a high performance sail but which can last at least 5-6 seasons, that's why I need something stronger than a simple membrane.

Option 1 is to buy a membrane with inside taffeta.

Option 2 is this TRILAM membrane, which consists on a film with dyneema threads to make it stronger, instead of the taffeta. It is lighter comparing with the inside taffeta (and more expensive).

I would like to have a reference of this TRILAM membranes, to decide if it's worth it or not.

Has any ANARCHIST tried these sails?

Link to their website here: http://www.trilam.com

#2 Alcatraz5768

Alcatraz5768

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

Apparently the north 3di sails have a half life of a million years. Cheaper option is the nor lam aramid. Not affiliated, just been doing the same exercise myself.

#3 rmb

rmb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

Most of the class 40 fleet uses Trilam, it comes from All Purpose sails.  It definitely lasts a while, probably not 5-6 seasons in ocean racing conditions, but I guess it really depends on how much sailing you are doing.

If you want your sails to actually last a long time, there is only one way to do it: Specify a higher fiber content than normal.  If you have 20-30% more fiber, your sails will weigh that much more, but will last SIGNIFICANTLY longer.  

This is the ugly little secret of sailmaking so that they can sell sails every season, they just put the bare minimum of fiber in them in order to make them as light as possible, but then they die instantly, selling another set automatically.

If you are worried about lightness for Valencia, just get the main, and everything but the light jib built this way, and get a low fiber light jib.  You will never notice the difference in the other sails, except they will last longer.

This does not change the fact that the sails do have mylar in them, and it is always the mylar that dies.  Unfortunately for the other sailmakers, 3di lasts a very long time as there is no mylar.

#4 Enrique Ortiz

Enrique Ortiz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
    skiing.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

Most of the class 40 fleet uses Trilam, it comes from All Purpose sails.  It definitely lasts a while, probably not 5-6 seasons in ocean racing conditions, but I guess it really depends on how much sailing you are doing.

If you want your sails to actually last a long time, there is only one way to do it: Specify a higher fiber content than normal.  If you have 20-30% more fiber, your sails will weigh that much more, but will last SIGNIFICANTLY longer.  

This is the ugly little secret of sailmaking so that they can sell sails every season, they just put the bare minimum of fiber in them in order to make them as light as possible, but then they die instantly, selling another set automatically.

If you are worried about lightness for Valencia, just get the main, and everything but the light jib built this way, and get a low fiber light jib.  You will never notice the difference in the other sails, except they will last longer.

This does not change the fact that the sails do have mylar in them, and it is always the mylar that dies.  Unfortunately for the other sailmakers, 3di lasts a very long time as there is no mylar.

This answer has been really helpful!

The program of the boat is club racing almost every week (using old sails), and then 3/4 grand prix inshore races of 3 days each one using the new sails. Then the days using the good sails can be like 10 days racing, and 10 more training and setting up the rig.

North Sails 3di is sadly out of the budget. Trilam offers an option called TRILAM INSHORE which only has this reinforced membrane on one side...

Comparing this TRILAM INSHORE with a NOR LAM north sails which I think have a similar price, What do you think is best performance/durability? 

#5 Enrique Ortiz

Enrique Ortiz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
    skiing.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

Apparently the north 3di sails have a half life of a million years. Cheaper option is the nor lam aramid. Not affiliated, just been doing the same exercise myself.

So, do yo mean that Nor Lam is price equivalent with Trilam?

If so, would you choose Nor Lam? They are so different, Nor Lam sails are built by radial cut, and Trilam is one piece membrane…

#6 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Recently used some dimension polyant sails that were 10 yrs old, summer use only, still in surprisingly good shape considering, helps to start with a flatter cut if your boat can tolerate it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailmaking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users