679 replies to this topic

#1 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:50 PM

Hope all is well with the TCC membership this new year. Please use this 2016 page for continued communication and look out for news about the new web site and schedule. As soon as you can, please sign up for the 2016 season once the new site is up. We will stay with PayPal for dues.

Thanks!

#2 Big D

Big D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:14 AM

Just paid my membership dues to The Texas Centerboard Circuit. Not sure they went to the right place but I paid someone. The rest of you deadbeats pay up. Ya hear

#3 yeoshuacohen

yeoshuacohen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:48 AM

woohoo new forum page! happy new year everyone!

hey I'm up in dallas and irving till wednesday...anyone over there down for a sail or a bike ride?

#4 yeoshuacohen

yeoshuacohen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:54 PM

disregard...cancelled!

#5 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:30 PM

Thanks Big D; your dues got here just fine.

#6 True North

True North

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:(Hopeful) Baylor Football

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:11 PM

Can you put a link up for dues?

#7 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:27 PM

It's on the current web site and will be added to the new one in short order.

#8 True North

True North

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:27 PM

Never mind.

#9 duwke

duwke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:25 PM

It took way longer than expected to find the pay link.

http://www.texascent...ard.org/pay.htm

#10 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for posting the link.

Big D and Darin lead the way.

#11 duwke

duwke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:34 PM

Do we have a calendar set up yet?  Those who know my wife, know she likes a busy schedule.  Weekends are dropping like flies.

Also, I was notified of some AustinCat races in the books - Ides of March Regatta (Lake Somerville in March) and the Hill County Regatta (Lake Buchanan April 23-24).  AustinCats are fun sailors.

#12 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:20 AM

A lot of the clubs we travel to won't have their schedules set until later this month. Once that happens we can finalize ours. I like the idea of sharing regattas with the cat dudes and dudettes.

And the Ortega Kid is now official and paid. Numbers are starting to grow.

#13 DTA

DTA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:36 PM

It took way longer than expected to find the pay link.

http://www.texascent...ard.org/pay.htm

Just to be clear (since this will be my first year to join TCC): the "circuit fee" in the referenced link is the fee for being a member of TCC, correct? Since it didn't say "dues fees", and there's talk about an "old" site vs a "new" site, just wanted to make sure I'm paying for the right thing.

#14 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:49 PM

Yes DTA, the link provided by duwke will get you "dues" to the right place. Once we have them, I'll list you here until the new website is up (soon).

#15 RedTuna

RedTuna

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts
  • Interests:Sprints & Wetas

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:02 PM

Just sent mine in.

Larry

#16 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts
  • Interests:High performance sailing.

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:49 PM

Remember, I'll have TCC flag stickers and ovals at all events!

#17 DTA

DTA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:28 AM

I just sent mine in via PayPal - or rather my wife did. So it will show up under her name: "Nisha Limaye".

#18 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:14 AM

Red Tuna and DTA are now official.

#19 Claire1000

Claire1000

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Boats

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:36 PM

I am NOT trying to make Dave feel bad. Just a general reminder to all of us to tone it down sometimes, of which I am certainly guiltier than most about l not paying attention and/or being overly aggressive at times (again not blaming Dave or saying that's what happened). Accidents are gonna happen and that's part of any competitive sport. Anyways, that said...

Just a reminder to all of us to avoid touching boats whenever possible. Small ding on Theos boat was $380 to repair. We probably could have done it ourselves but have a bit on the plate. Anyways, stay away from each other folks!

Hope this came across as the friendly reminder I intended. Baby McD is still brewing but should be here in a few weeks.

#20 DTA

DTA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:10 PM

So, I've been in only one sailing race at LCYC. It was great fun, but there weren't many boats at each of the turns. Easy to stay clear of others. If it was crowded and I had boats all around me at the turn, I would freak out, forget all the rules about right-of-way, and try to steer away from everyone, which would probably result in me causing a huge pile-up. Anyway, that's my nightmare scenario about racing, but I still plan to give it the ol' college try this year!

#21 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:46 PM

Claire, if memory serves me, your accident was in Austin, right? I would blame that stupid "aromatic cocktail' inspired race course as much as anything. I got hit by three Lasers in succession at the mark prior to the finish. The scratches are still in the very expensive Imron. I do understand your point though. Pretend like we're all flying airplanes.

#22 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:51 PM

DTA, with some time and experience you will get the hang of it. No need to scatter when there's traffic. Learn the rules (at least the basics) and keep them in your head as you approach other boats. Are you on starboard or port? Do you have the right of way? Then, if the other guy has to give way you tell him so. If he does not, then you scatter. Stick your nose in there and get dirty, you'll learn a ton. And you'll become a better racer.

#23 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:45 PM

And yer gunna love it and become addicted like the rest of us fools!

#24 DTA

DTA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:02 PM

I get all of these right. I know the basic ROW rules. However, when sailing w/ the windsurfers at Bird Island Basin (when things usually come into play for me), it's like: "OK, I'm on a starboard tack, and so is he. OK, so we're both on the same tack. OK, so the wind is coming from over there. OK, so it looks like I'm higher into the wind than him. OK, so I think I better give way." - I usually figure that out 10 seconds or so after the windsurfer and I have already passed and have nothing to worry about anymore.  :-)

#25 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:07 PM

Is gunna be real simple with us, you will hear from the starboard boat most every time and not have a problem. But head on swivel is most important as speeds vary.

#26 US 307

US 307

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:sailing, fishing, archery

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:00 PM

You could try SailX.   www.sailx.com  It is a sailing game with emphasis on the rules.  They have a protest room and tutorials and lots of stuff on tactics and starting etc.  It has helped my "in real life" sailing tremendously.

#27 View from the back

View from the back

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:45 PM

Just don't run into my Finn, that's all I ask. 

#28 Fishingmickey

Fishingmickey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:14 AM

I'm in, I'm going back to the Contender this year.

FM

#29 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:27 PM

I have great news. The Corpus Christy folks have committed to hosting a TCC regatta sometime in July. And our calendar is shaping up to be great. Website going up by the end of this week (I hope). Please help me get anyone you might know who participates with us to sign up for 2016 by making their $20 contribution via Paypal on the old website. Wow, this year is going to be a blast.   

#30 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,830 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:42 PM

I get all of these right. I know the basic ROW rules. However, when sailing w/ the windsurfers at Bird Island Basin (when things usually come into play for me), it's like: "OK, I'm on a starboard tack, and so is he. OK, so we're both on the same tack. OK, so the wind is coming from over there. OK, so it looks like I'm higher into the wind than him. OK, so I think I better give way." - I usually figure that out 10 seconds or so after the windsurfer and I have already passed and have nothing to worry about anymore.  :-)

That's excellent practice.

The rules are simple (despite what is often said). It's applying them in action, especially when there are three or more boats converging, that it gets hairy.

FB- Doug

#31 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:57 PM

Christi

#32 DTA

DTA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:20 PM

I'm in, I'm going back to the Contender this year.

FM

That's awesome! Can't wait to see it. I plan to start learning my Laser Vago in earnest this year, so I'll race my bathtub skiff against your rocket ship!

#33 DTA

DTA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:22 PM

I have great news. The Corpus Christy folks have committed to hosting a TCC regatta sometime in July. And our calendar is shaping up to be great. Website going up by the end of this week (I hope). Please help me get anyone you might know who participates with us to sign up for 2016 by making their $20 contribution via Paypal on the old website. Wow, this year is going to be a blast.   

Yipppeeeeeee! I have one family vacation planned in July, so as soon as you know even general dates (first half or last half of month), please post. And thanks for setting that up!!!!

#34 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:43 PM

Oh come on Mikey, if you do that I might have to sail my Laser 2, but no, will be on the impossible ship, my AC!

#35 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:31 PM

I love the IC but I also love having fun at regattas (and finishing races). At my age, just not the right choice for me. If I had some time to learn it better, what a weapon. I think Mickey did better on the Contender and will be in the hunt this year. Ya got to do what feels good.

#36 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:51 PM

Here is the tentative schedule for 2016:

March 6             AYC                   Opening Day            1 day           Austin

March ?             Stillhouse           Bridge too far           1 day           Stillhouse

April 9 & 10       CYC                    Spring Fling             2 day           Conroe

April 30 & 1       RCYC                 Spring Dinghyfest    2 day           Rush Creek

May 28 & 29     AYC                    Turnback                  2 day           Austin 

June 18 & 19    SSC                    Summer Solstice      2 day           Seabrook

July 9                Corpus                No Name regatta     1 day            Corpus Christi 

July 23-24         LBYC                  Heart of Texas         2 day            Belton

Aug ?                TCDYC               Texas City Dike        1 day           Texas City      

Sept 17 & 18     AYC                    Centerboard             2 day           Austin            

Oct 15 & 16       RCYC                 Fall Dinghyfest         2 day           Rush Creek 

Oct 29 & 30       AYC                    Governors Cup        2 day           Austin

Nov                   LCYC                   Wurstfest                 2 day           Lake Canyon

#37 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:57 PM

Looking for one more race up in the Dallas area.

#38 USA389

USA389

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:12 PM

Here is the tentative schedule for 2016:

March 6             AYC                   Opening Day            1 day           Austin

March ?             Stillhouse           Bridge too far           1 day           Stillhouse

April 9 & 10       CYC                    Spring Fling             2 day           Conroe

April 30 & 1       RCYC                 Spring Dinghyfest    2 day           Rush Creek

May 28 & 29     AYC                    Turnback                  2 day           Austin 

June 18 & 19    SSC                    Summer Solstice      2 day           Seabrook

July 9                Corpus                No Name regatta     1 day            Corpus Christi 

July 23-24         LBYC                  Heart of Texas         2 day            Belton

Aug ?                TCDYC               Texas City Dike        1 day           Texas City      

Sept 17 & 18     AYC                    Centerboard             2 day           Austin            

Oct 15 & 16       RCYC                 Fall Dinghyfest         2 day           Rush Creek 

Oct 29 & 30       AYC                    Governors Cup        2 day           Austin

Nov                   LCYC                   Wurstfest                 2 day           Lake Canyon

Does anybody have or know of any boats for charter for the first three events?  

I'm moving to Austin next week for three months and will be itching to do some sailing. 

#39 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:34 PM

I HAVE 3 EXTRA BOATS, ONE LASER TWO, TWO LASERS, ONE WITH HANSEN TURBO SAIL, HAPPY TO LET YOU USE IF WE CAN FIND A WAY TO TRANSPORT THEM. My car will only tow one, and that's my AC

#40 duwke

duwke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:25 PM

Opening day regatta (Mar 6) is on a Sunday? with a 1:30 start?  does that make any sense?

#41 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:38 PM

We usually sprinkle in a couple of 1 day races. We did this one last year and got about eight boats if I remember correctly. I go the day before and sail then camp for the Sunday race. Same with Corpus except in reverse. I'll sail the race Saturday and stay to sail on Sunday just for fun. I like the camping part.

#42 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:40 PM

IT'S AWESOME!, SLEEP IN, DRINK BEER FOR BREAKFAST, GO HOME EARLY EVE!

AND YOU CAN MAKE THEM ALL ONE DAY SUNDY RACES, THAT WAY I CAN MAKE THEM ALL!

#43 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:18 PM

You've already committed to all of them, Sunday or not.

#44 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:32 PM

You've already committed to all of them, Sunday or not.

I know, just funnin ya!

#45 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:45 PM

Wink

#46 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:19 PM

We are finalizing the schedule this week. Does anyone what changes? Comments?

#47 Big D

Big D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:11 PM

I thought being in charge you'd have more than one event at your club. It's a long drive from N. Texas to both Corpus and City Dyke for a 1 day regatta. Just saying. We'll see if lower gas prices makes for better participation. Thanks Lindy for taking over. Hope to see some new as well as old faces. Sailing with the Cats was brought up but we are already having problems with speed differences in this fleet. Maybe more than 1 reverse pursuit race is in order. Wind adjusted rating should be used for every race. My .02

#48 DTA

DTA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:30 PM

Pretty sure I'll make six of these. Looking forward to it!

#49 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:33 PM

I got in touch with the cat sailors (Austin Cats) and it was a no go. They are having real trouble getting anyone to show to races as it is. Not sure how we would hurt that, but oh well. Regarding another race or two in Conroe, I'm game for that. I think a reverse pursuit distance race of two laps would be a blast.

We will be using Beaufort ratings at each event as well as each race within the event. That's what they did at Wurstfest at it worked really well although seeing my Scot at an 87.5 through me off the first time I saw it.

I think Texas City Dike could easily become a two day event, especially as it is so easy to camp on the beach down there. Same with Corpus. I'll look into it. Do you all want to blow off the fist one day in Austin? I'm all about participation and whatever we do, let's make sure it accommodates people showing up to sail.

Where are all the usuals? John? Dave? Mickey? Claire? Theo? Tuna? We need your input.

#50 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:18 PM

I hope we do use all the correct bf's this year, and I'm all about one dayers, and I love opening day!, such nice shirts they give out!

So looking forward to all the newbies, and hope we can get everyone at some of them, Springding my fav!

You just keep the wind below bf10 like it usually is at all the regattas I come to, and I'll be happy!

And I love the reverse pursuits! Why I have an IC!

#51 RedTuna

RedTuna

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:29 AM

Where are you seeing the Mar 6 Opening Day Regatta?  Nothing on the full calendar and the draft calendar is showing a regular series race. I'm missing something, obviously.

#52 View from the back

View from the back

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:38 AM

Question from the Finn guy that came out to tour Texas and meet a couple of you.....  with the long drive from North Texas/Dallas down to Austin, why not a secondary circuit that covers Rush Creek, Ft. Worth Boat Club, White Rock Lake, etc.?  Seems you'd have better participation if the North Texas guys had some close by sailing, and the Central Texas guys had some close by sailing?  And then support each other by traveling your normal circuit.  Just curious.  (I think it was White Rock Lake that I saw about half way between Dallas and Ft. Worth on a map?)

#53 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:51 AM

RedTuna, Vic Manning sent me the provisional schedule about a week ago that has it listed and had a less than zero chance of being changed, according to Vic.

View, never really thought about it. We get decent turnout at most regattas. I don't know if we have enough boats to split it up. Remember, we're in Texas. The distance isn't really that far for us.

#54 View from the back

View from the back

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:38 AM

RedTuna, Vic Manning sent me the provisional schedule about a week ago that has it listed and had a less than zero chance of being changed, according to Vic.

View, never really thought about it. We get decent turnout at most regattas. I don't know if we have enough boats to split it up. Remember, we're in Texas. The distance isn't really that far for us.

Just seems that a north Texas or a central Texas might be good for the one day'ers.  Kind of like our SoCal and NorCal events for the small stuff, but we travel for the bigger stuff.

#55 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:12 AM

Good idea, never work here it big T, it's a normal deal to drive for a day in Texas, not like stupid so cal where it takes 4 hours to go 50 miles on a Saturday!

#56 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:01 AM

It looks like Texas City Dike is getting changed to a two day event, so that only leaves two one day events on the schedule. So we've got 13 scheduled and I'm still looing for #14 in the Dallas area. Stay tuned.

If you haven't signed up yet, please do.

#57 Fishingmickey

Fishingmickey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:04 AM

Howdy y'all,

Lindy since ya asked for input. I'll give ya my thoughts. I haven't been nearly as active on here due to not being on the computer nearly as much due to a new job and spending weekends in Austin computerless.

I love how you have shown such enthusiasm for the Commodore's role and trying to get some new things going with the web site.

Part of what I think made things go well for the TCC was that we kept it low key. Focusing more on the social aspect and not so much on the racing. With the advent of all the newer and faster boats. I feel it makes it more so to focus on the social side.  I talked with you when we had our phone conversation about the TCC and decided to give you the nod for Commodore.I believe I mentioned making sure we had at least a couple of events in each of the three core areas, Dallas, Houston and Austin. Those have always been our initial core events. I feel you have way too many events or are trying to schedule way too many. I think seven to ten is a good number and count 6 or 7 to scoring for the season. The one day events are more just for fun and shouldn't carry the same weight as a two day round the buoys regatta. The one day events are usually just a long distance race and doesn't follow the prescriptions for US sailing Portsmouth ratings but usually a darn good party afterwards.

I also think that by having so many events your going to dilute the turnout from the core events that made us welcome at the clubs. Being RCYC, AYC, Seabrook and LCYC. I think it is great trying to add new clubs but it must be done within reason. Having a event at Corpus Christi yacht club would be sweet. Sailing at Texas City Dike would not be do-able for some. I don't know what kind of facilities they have for launching, trailer parking, hosing down your boat or cleaning up after a day on salt water. Camping on the beach is great if it isn't blowing stink or raining. Wind on the beach gets sand into everything and can be really miserable.

Trying to get the clubs to score wind ratings when for the most part they don't get it right with DN ratings might be asking a lot from them. We can approach them about just getting the raw times and we do our own figuring with a excel program would be the best way around that (again my opinion). If they are using Regatta networks it does it automatically. Or we just let it roll and straighten it out afterwards if needed as we have done in the past. A lot of the newer boats don't have wind ratings or any ratings at all listed on US ailing.

I think it would be good if we can maybe set up a time to get Crumps, yourself, myself and Harpoonette together and talk about it. I don't have any particular time frame in mind though.  I think that is about ten cents worth of my opinions and probably eight cents too much.

It is great that your enthusiasm and ideas to make the TCC grow are fantastic. I'm worried that you'll lose sight of what makes it successful..

Regards,

FM

#58 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:00 PM

All well said as usual FM, and since I'm never in the medals, all good . Will prob only make 7 or so anyways. It's never about winning to me anyways, just having fun sailin with friends, but truly like the enthusiasm Lindy! Don't camp so no issue, but you set the schedule and I'll be there as much as possible!

#59 True North

True North

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:36 PM

Thanks, Darin, for putting the pay link up.  I am now paid up.

Given that I am paid up, and given that Lindy asked for opinions, I agree 100% with FM.  Too many events dilutes the cause.  I much prefer fewer events with more participants since, to me, this is about having fun.  More boats means more people with whom to have fun.  It also makes the racing better, in my opinion.  I would rather be chomping at the bit to attend a regatta than be covered up in them.  Six per year seems a reasonable number of events.

I have yet to have raced in a TCC event, so this opinion is worth less than zero $.  I do plan to make some, so regardless of the decision, I will be on the line several times in 2016.

#60 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:50 PM

Here are my thoughts on the schedule; the more races we schedule, the more opportunity people have to sail. The more opportunity people have to sail, the more sailors participate in the circuit. Maybe I'm wrong.

We could make certain "core" events double points and change our points system to a reverse points where the most points wins the overall at years end. For instance 1st place would actually pay max points for a given regatta. A double points race would reward those who raced the "core" events. Just a thought.

With regards to my personal philosophy, I'm a racer. Always have been. While I appreciate the trimmings of regattas, that's not the only reason I go. I go to race. Now, if we all want to have a sailing club instead of a racing circuit we can do that too.

#61 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:55 PM

Like the double idea, we always had those in my racing days also. But since my chosen toy will never be sailed well enough by me to win anything, don't matter, more beer.

#62 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:20 AM

The new site is up and running. Please bear with me as there is some house keeping still to be done. This new site allows us to communicate via Sailing Anarchy and the FORUM button directs you here. We will use this forum as our principal communication channel for all notifications.

If you go to the schedule page you will be able to click on any of the dates and get info about that regatta. If it's prior to the regatta, NOR and notices about that regatta will be posted. If it's after that regatta, results, a place for commentary from anyone who wishes to comment via Facebook and photos will be posted. I plan to do a write up after each race and post and will probably do it in SA style with ribbing going where it is deserved. You can then comment back and tell me to go to hell.

So in a nut shell we now have the framework for the new site in place. It will be forever changing and added to. It's for everyone who is a club member and even for those who are not. Enjoy it.

Lindy

#63 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:12 AM

www.texascenterboardcircuit.org

#64 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:01 AM

Freakin awesome Mike! Gunna be a banner year, a banner year ya hear!

#65 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:12 AM

I screwed up the web address. Should be www.texascenterboard.org

Lindy

#66 RedTuna

RedTuna

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:43 AM

Shiny.  Great job, Lindy.

#67 Fishingmickey

Fishingmickey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:58 AM

Here is a couple of more thoughts to ponder... Avoid having or try to avoid anything inland in July or August. Almost guaranteed no wind and blistering heat. If there is it is because of afternoon thunderstorms or a hurricane/tropical depression. High pressure loves to camp over Texas in those two months. If it is at or close to the coast you can get some really awesome sea breeze (sometimes). The Duwke will probably be better able to comment on the coastal conditions then me.

I forgot what the second thing was, I'll ponder more tomorrow. Good night all!

FM

#68 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:49 PM

We have Corpus and Texas City Dike schedule for July & August. Both of those races are TCC only and not affiliated with any club and scheduled on those dates and those locations for this very reason. The Heart of Texas regatta on Belton on July 23-24 is Lake Belton Yacht Clubs scheduled regatta. Last year we had a number of people wanting to sail in July and we had nothing scheduled.

But Mickey I agree with you that it's hotter than hell and no fun to sail with no wind. Maybe we play Belton by ear and throw it out if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Tuna, thanks for the accolades but my son Anders is who deserves the credit. It's a work in progress and will get better with time. 

#69 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:34 PM

where's the new site?

#70 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:49 PM

Your old link is messing with the system somehow. It was working this morning, now it's not. I'm told it can take a day or so for the system to work right. Try a Yahoo search of Texas Centerboard Circuit.

#71 DTA

DTA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:15 PM

If you've actually changed the physical server (not just the HTML pages on the previous server), then it can take up to two days for the new IP address of the new server to propagate out via DNS to the Internet. When I go to www.texascenterboard.org, I get the old site b/c the schedule still shows the 2015 schedule. Haven't said anything b/c I'm waiting a couple days for the new ip address to filter out through DNS.

#72 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:57 PM

It works now. The schedule hasn't been updated on the new site yet, we'll do that over the weekend. The new site has a grey tint on the cover photo and shows a Moth 3727.

#73 DTA

DTA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:04 PM

It works now. The schedule hasn't been updated on the new site yet, we'll do that over the weekend. The new site has a grey tint on the cover photo and shows a Moth 3727.

Thanks Lindy. Then yes, I do indeed see the new site. Thanks!

#74 Fishingmickey

Fishingmickey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:50 PM

We have Corpus and Texas City Dike schedule for July & August. Both of those races are TCC only and not affiliated with any club and scheduled on those dates and those locations for this very reason. The Heart of Texas regatta on Belton on July 23-24 is Lake Belton Yacht Clubs scheduled regatta. Last year we had a number of people wanting to sail in July and we had nothing scheduled.

But Mickey I agree with you that it's hotter than hell and no fun to sail with no wind. Maybe we play Belton by ear and throw it out if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Tuna, thanks for the accolades but my son Anders is who deserves the credit. It's a work in progress and will get better with time. 

Lindy, Here is something to ponder.. I am assuming the "no affiliation" means no support boats, no ramp (Texas city dike),  and your on your own (skipper's discretion) to self rescue.

FM

P.S. I'm outie headed to see Harpoonette.

#75 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:20 AM

Mickey,

We're putting together a committee boat and a chase boat for TCD, so we should be good there. Also, there is a ramp on the dike for larger boats like my Scot or Jennys Harpoon. Fishing boats go in and out there all the time.

Corpus is actually going to be run by one of the Corpus yacht clubs that Philip Davis (Melges 24) is putting together for us, so I misspoke about that.

So when you turtle your IC and stick the mast in the mud, there will be someone to drive by in a powerboat and laugh at you for free. Then you might be able to convince them to pull you back up (beer on your boat to barter with will help).

#76 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:35 AM

I'll have some on mine! And since FM will be on his circus boat and not the IC, I'll need the help!  'Sposed to be 75 next weekend, may have to break out the thick wetsuit and practice.

#77 RedTuna

RedTuna

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:59 AM

Sure was a nice surprise to see a couple TCCers out racing with the keelboats at LCYC this weekend.

#78 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:57 PM

Looking for some feedback:

We have several folks that have commented on the number of races being too many. On the other hand we have those who would like to see more. In an effort to satisfy more of our sailors, I propose that we pay points at each event. The better you do at a particular regatta, the more points you earn. The sailor with the most points at the end of the year wins.

Additionally, we vote on what our core eight races are going to be and we award double points for those. That way, if you only want to race the core events, you still have a chance of winning the overall and, those who want to sail all of the events, are rewarded for doing so.

What say you?

Also, the schedule is up and finalized with the exception of a couple of dates.

#79 duwke

duwke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:07 PM

Regarding the dike, it will be a little bigger than just TCC.  Clear Lake Sailing Club is interested in helping.  This will include a few support boats and a few more sailboats too.  So, I was thinking of normal olympic courses on Saturday and a distance course on Sunday.  Registration will probably be a little more than regular to cover fuel and food costs for the support crew, but it is starting to come together.  

#80 duwke

duwke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:11 PM

I like the schedule.   I know that I have a few conflicts, and I'm not that interested in a late single day race on Sunday... but otherwise, schedule looks good to me.  

FM, yeah, it always blows at the dike.  Some days better than others, and it's no Corpus, but there is always wind.

#81 True North

True North

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:08 PM

Will Stillhouse and Corpus be a Sat or Sun?

#82 DTA

DTA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:51 PM

Sure was a nice surprise to see a couple TCCers out racing with the keelboats at LCYC this weekend.

Yes, nice change of pace. I could tell it could get quite exciting in a blow. I might try crewing a bit this Spring in Corpus. 

Also, discovered an unexpected advantage of "wet" boats like the Aero and Laser in comparison to the bigger "dry" boats: going to the bathroom is so much easier in a "wet" dinghy.

#83 RedTuna

RedTuna

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

Isn't that what the open transom on a Melges is for?

#84 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:20 PM

We're waiting on Stillhouse for their calendar. I'm pretty sure Corpus will be Saturday and maybe even turn into a two day event.

#85 DTA

DTA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for the schedule Lindy. I hope to make the 4 Austin events, the Corpus event (YEEEESSS!), and Wurstfest. Others if time permits. Looking forward to it!!

#86 True North

True North

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:25 PM

To the question regarding scoring, and how to drive entries.  In model boats, both classes in which I am active use a format whereby the more boats you beat, the higher your score.  Instead of a low point system, it's a high point system, the theory being it's easier to win a three boat fleet than a 30 boat fleet.  Now if the three boat fleet is Tom Slingsby, Ben A. and, say, Dennis Connor, that's a tough fleet.  If not, then it rewards hitting regattas.  We sail little entry boats called Dragon Forces and we sail in Dallas, Austin and Houston on a rotating basis.  If you win a regatta and there are 20 boats, you get 20 points, second gets 19 points, and so on.  It rewards participation because above a certain number of regattas, you get to keep your highest scores and discard your low ones.  Anyway, I like the format.    

#87 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:43 PM

That is EXACTLY what I had in mind except certain events would pay double plus a bonus. I really like it and believe it would promote attendance.

Thanks for your input, North.

#88 duwke

duwke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:55 PM

But, with his approach, do you need to double it?  If it is well attended, say 20 boats, then you get 20 points for being first.  If it is not well attended, then you get less points.

#89 True North

True North

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:18 PM

In model boats in one class we have modifiers for certain events (a local event gets points (there is a requirement for at least 10 boats in the regatta), a regional event gets points X 1.1, and a national championship get points X 1.2).  In the Dragon Force Texas circuit, we have double points for the last regatta of the year to ensure a well-attended event.  Perhaps you put a modifier on the events you really want to promote, and the do double points for, say, Wurstfest, since that's the crown jewel.  Or as Duwke says, this corrects itself to a degree as the larger events have more points on offer. 

#90 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:20 PM

We are trying to please a number of different views; one being too many races and another being not enough. For those who think there are too many, they can attend the "core" races and stay in the points hunt. For those who want to race more, they are rewarded for doing so. If you happen to be a good racer and attend all the races, you're going to be hard to beat overall, and rightfully so. I sort of addressed this in a previous post. 

#91 cassiusSlowicus

cassiusSlowicus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:45 PM

I am looking forward to making as many events this year as possible in my geriatric I 420. My goal is to get in the way of as many faster boats as possible, not have my rudder fall off, and share as many beers as possible. see you all out there.

#92 duwke

duwke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:47 PM

Lindy, I was wondering if we shouldn't create a FB account for more visibility.  They have revamped their event notifications, and it now shows events that you are attending to all your friends.  This could be a good way to get the calendar out there.  It will definitely confuse the forum vs the site vs the fb page, but it could help.  I don't mind managing it.

#93 Claire1000

Claire1000

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:03 PM

Probably won't get much input from me and Theo this year, and I don't think anything we say should be valued much ad it is likely we won't make any races. But, I do think 8-10 races would be our vote. We can plan those out and try to make them happen. But more than that is just too many and wouldn't know where to start choosing the ones we would try to work the rest of life around. We've sailed circuits for about 5 years now, and the that amount of races seems to be the right balance for most of the circuits that are making it. 

Still no mini human. I suspect she may be stubborn and late like her mama.

We still have both our boats for sale (planning to keep whichever one somebody doesn't want to buy and go to just one boat).

Lastly, we'd be interested in buying 420s or lasers for the Baylor sailing club if anyone know of any older ones that need homes. Just basic older boats.

Claire

ps- Thumbs up Mike for all the hard work so far!

#94 Claire1000

Claire1000

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:05 PM

I am looking forward to making as many events this year as possible in my geriatric I 420. My goal is to get in the way of as many faster boats as possible, not have my rudder fall off, and share as many beers as possible. see you all out there.

We all got handled by a couple kids in a 420, so you may fare better than you think. They were either stud kid sailors or the handicap is way off, but either way they stayed in the mix much longer than I thought the would. 

#95 cassiusSlowicus

cassiusSlowicus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:13 PM

When was that?

My brother and I came out to Wurst last year, and our rudder was dangling by a single boat after Saturday's races and the chain plates were jiggly and ready to fall off.

#96 Claire1000

Claire1000

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:17 PM

That was down at Seabrook. Good young sailors in a decked out nice 420. But I still don't think they beat us as bad as the times said they did. But who knows, and I'm always happy to see kids get a trophy and be excited about sailing. 

#97 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:49 PM

Glad to have ya, and share a beer anytime, before, during or after ya beat me. 420 can kill in a short race. Bring it!

#98 RedTuna

RedTuna

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:07 PM

Beat me too badly and I'll take that rudder bolt back without telling you.

#99 duwke

duwke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:22 PM

You guys are way ahead of me.

https://www.facebook...ardcircuit.org/

Everyone should like it so we can promote the schedule.

#100 cassiusSlowicus

cassiusSlowicus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:17 PM

I keep looking at that super cool picture in the slide show on the homepage with 777, me and USA 11, and i can't help but wonder where in the world am i going? I mean we're all going down wind on port tack, but it looks like i'm point 45 deg to the right. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users