A life well lived

#2 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,349 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:29 AM

RIP Bob. You changed the game. Sail on old boy.

#3 SCANAS

SCANAS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts
  • Interests:Water and Mud

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

Fair Winds Mr Oatley - RIP

#4 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:48 AM

Racing till the end of life. Wow.......

#5 Terrafirma

Terrafirma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:29 AM

Sad to see him go. He was a great attribute to Australian sailing and the business world. I hope Sandy continues his cause. RIP Robert Oatley.

#6 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,662 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:37 AM

8 Bells

#7 DickDastardly

DickDastardly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:49 PM

Nice to see SA getting on the bandwagon after kicking the crap out of the WOXI program post S2H. Full of shit? I'd never say that.

#8 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,303 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:29 PM

Nice to see SA getting on the bandwagon after kicking the crap out of the WOXI program post S2H. Full of shit? I'd never say that.

We have covered Bob since the beginning.  We have spent time on WOXI on Bob's invitation, we have gotten to know the wonderful crew, and we have enjoyed his time in the sport immensely.  The fact that they screwed up the race this year was fact, and we covered that too. 

You are one of those smarmy fucks who thinks bad performances should be secret.  PUSSY.  Thank god most aussies are not as whinging.

Back to thoughts for Bob now.

#9 George Hackett

George Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:47 PM

condolences to the family.  a legend.  RIP

#10 water ratz

water ratz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Interests:Sailing...

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:49 PM

RIP Mr Oatley.  I will open a bottle of Wild Oats and drink a toast to you this evening.  

#11 theramblers

theramblers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:SAIL NOW work later ;-)

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:24 PM

I hope to have the same chance to follow my passion for all my life

RIP Mr Oatley

#12 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:30 PM

Viking funeral?

#13 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

Condolences to family and friends. Bob played hard all the way to the end. He will be missed. Fair winds sir...following seas...

#14 Who?What?

Who?What?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:13 PM

Godspeed Mr Oatley

#15 Done With SA

Done With SA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:XXXXXXXXXXX

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:59 PM

Tonight, in Seattle, glasses will be raised and prayers rendered for a life well lived and with heartfelt condolences for all the Oatley family and friends!

#16 charisma94

charisma94

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Anarchy

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:22 PM

A wonderful man that will be missed.

RIP Mr. Oatley.

#17 Par Avion

Par Avion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Interests:Fighting fires, sailing, travel.

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:58 PM

Absolute legend.

RIP sir. 

#18 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:19 AM

He was sorely missed when he moved out of smaller boats and now the ultimate departure. Thanks Mr Oatley.....enjoy Valhalla.

#19 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,657 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:27 AM

Tonight, in Seattle an aronde the worlde, glasses will be raised and prayers rendered for a life well lived and with heartfelt condolences for all the Oatley family and friends!

:)

#20 Third Reef Grim

Third Reef Grim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:05 AM

I wouldnt say he changed the game as muchs as he "was the Game"

As far as maxi sailing in Aussie and probably the world he was better than the rest of the millionaire maxi boat owners at...

Getting the best boat design

PUtting together the best crew

Funding the right things

Kmowing when to change and when not to.

Anybody can throw money at sailing but Boatley threw some smart thinking and great commitment at it.

RIP

#21 Abbo

Abbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Interests:Kite Surfing, binge drinking.

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:01 AM

We have covered Bob since the beginning.  We have spent time on WOXI on Bob's invitation, we have gotten to know the wonderful crew, and we have enjoyed his time in the sport immensely.  The fact that they screwed up the race this year was fact, and we covered that too. 

You are one of those smarmy fucks who thinks bad performances should be secret.  PUSSY.  Thank god most aussies are not as whinging.

As usual Clean your recollection of the facts is heavily influenced by current events to suit your own delusional version of reality. Let's take, for example, your most recent post (on the front page no less) concerning Wild Oats, titled "the Smackdown downunder" or something equally childish. You gush like a schoolgirl at a Justin Beeber concert about how Comanche dominated Wild Oats. Wild Oats retired because of equipment failure, you fucking nimrod. Hardly a dominant victory story now is it? You imply that their retirement was a soft option. Why don't you elaborate on how you would have repaired a mainsail that was torn almost completely in two. Or better yet, how you would have managed the rig stability issues( and associated risks) facing them sailing largely upwind for another 400 odd miles with no mainsail. You also conveniently fail to mention that Comanche officially retired from very same race just because they broke a dagger board and damaged their steering. Who is soft now? They only re-joined the race after they discovered the steering was fixable when trying to reach port. Never say die attitude? Ken Read a hero? Give me a break.

Another ridiculous quote from your article... "despite a decade of design and redesign from the Oatley’s skinny recordholder specifically for this race – and only this race –  "   I can probably forgive you for missing two trips to the maxi worlds in Sardinia this vessel has done earlier in her career, and also the many other events she regularly competes in on the Aussie east coast, but I fail to see how even someone as ignorant as you can fail to acknowledge that less than 9 months ago she visited your own backyard on the good old West coast of the USA to compete in and WIN the Transpac. "Only this race"? Really?

Only someone as intellectually challenged as you could look at these two boats and declare Wild Oats to be the one trick pony. What's more the results of the last Hobart prove this beyond any doubt or opinion, and yet you continue to grind this totally fictitious axe.

The truth is you have consistently for many years gone out of your way to put shit on WOXI and Bob Oatley. You were scathing in your coverage of his withdrawal as COR for AC35, suggesting all sorts of horse shit when it seemed pretty obvious to most educated folks that it was largely a commercial decision prompted by Oracle's refusal to host the event again in San Fran. (Hint:- North America is huge market for winemakers!) Now looking back at how many times Oracle have moved the goal posts since then, Oatley's decision looks pretty dam solid to me.

So please cease and desist from your feeble attempts at being respectful to the memory of this giant of the sport. It's a hypocritical and completely transparent attempt to save face, and in very poor taste.

Sail on Bob, you have done an enormous service to the sport you loved, from the grass roots right up to the very top. Australia thanks you. Rest in Peace.

#22 Cheap Beer

Cheap Beer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:49 AM

+1

#23 savoir

savoir

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:03 AM

Gollygosh Abbo, that's one tough act to follow. Oh well here goes . . . .

Uncle Bob has one record that can never be taken from him . . . . he won the last Admiral's Cup.

#24 Third Reef Grim

Third Reef Grim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:04 AM

As usual Clean your recollection of the facts is heavily influenced by current events to suit your own delusional version of reality. Let's take, for example, your most recent post (on the front page no less) concerning Wild Oats, titled "the Smackdown downunder" or something equally childish. You gush like a schoolgirl at a Justin Beeber concert about how Comanche dominated Wild Oats. Wild Oats retired because of equipment failure, you fucking nimrod. Hardly a dominant victory story now is it? You imply that their retirement was a soft option. Why don't you elaborate on how you would have repaired a mainsail that was torn almost completely in two. Or better yet, how you would have managed the rig stability issues( and associated risks) facing them sailing largely upwind for another 400 odd miles with no mainsail. You also conveniently fail to mention that Comanche officially retired from very same race just because they broke a dagger board and damaged their steering. Who is soft now? They only re-joined the race after they discovered the steering was fixable when trying to reach port. Never say die attitude? Ken Read a hero? Give me a break.

Another ridiculous quote from your article... "despite a decade of design and redesign from the Oatleys skinny recordholder specifically for this race and only this race   "   I can probably forgive you for missing two trips to the maxi worlds in Sardinia this vessel has done earlier in her career, and also the many other events she regularly competes in on the Aussie east coast, but I fail to see how even someone as ignorant as you can fail to acknowledge that less than 9 months ago she visited your own backyard on the good old West coast of the USA to compete in and WIN the Transpac. "Only this race"? Really?

Only someone as intellectually challenged as you could look at these two boats and declare Wild Oats to be the one trick pony. What's more the results of the last Hobart prove this beyond any doubt or opinion, and yet you continue to grind this totally fictitious axe.

The truth is you have consistently for many years gone out of your way to put shit on WOXI and Bob Oatley. You were scathing in your coverage of his withdrawal as COR for AC35, suggesting all sorts of horse shit when it seemed pretty obvious to most educated folks that it was largely a commercial decision prompted by Oracle's refusal to host the event again in San Fran. (Hint:- North America is huge market for winemakers!) Now looking back at how many times Oracle have moved the goal posts since then, Oatley's decision looks pretty dam solid to me.

So please cease and desist from your feeble attempts at being respectful to the memory of this giant of the sport. It's a hypocritical and completely transparent attempt to save face, and in very poor taste.

Sail on Bob, you have done an enormous service to the sport you loved, from the grass roots right up to the very top. Australia thanks you. Rest in Peace.
A bit harsh i think.

Why? Well nobody is beyond reproach and it is important for the sport and sportsman to be challenged or we end up with what Cricket is...namely full of cheats, dodgy dealings etc...

And i dont think Clean would have even been on Boatley,s radar in terms of "things to worry about this lifetime"

Challenge is part of that "sweet feeling" you get when you win!

#25 Never was

Never was

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:09 AM

I wouldnt say he changed the game as muchs as he "was the Game"

As far as maxi sailing in Aussie and probably the world he was better than the rest of the millionaire maxi boat owners at...

Getting the best boat design

PUtting together the best crew

Funding the right things

Kmowing when to change and when not to.

Anybody can throw money at sailing but Boatley threw some smart thinking and great commitment at it.

RIP

Agreed. He was a consumate gentleman sailor. Ratty roped me into doing a harbor race years ago on the 43 with Bob, and at the time he struck me as a great sailing enthusiast, but not on par with Kurtsy. Beyond the man, the teak cockpit floor of his 43 contrasted with the unpainted interior carbonation and honeycombed "windows" of the then-new Madeline's Daughter. Of course, the Sardinia Cup was not the Admiral's Cup. Bob okay'ed the CBTF adaptation of the 60, gave the helm to Kurtsy's old BN, and won the last Admiral's Cup. The boldest stroke was building a clone of Croaky's new sled, and this one made the history books. We should all be so fortunate. Fair winds and following seas, sir!

#26 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:11 AM

As a condolences thread all arguments best go down the corridor

#27 SAIL59

SAIL59

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Golf

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:16 AM

Dear All,

We should all respect that Mr.Robert Oatley has had a huge influence in promoting ocean racing here is Australia. Guys like Oatley and Syd  are few and far between, and along with Lou they have been so influential  in progressing O/S sailing Down Under. RIP.

Lets hope the legend continues with Sandy at the helm. Good luck to the Oats family.

#28 Norm

Norm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:26 AM

So what were his boats ?ng this thread we have

If the last one was wo 11 then am I missing 8 boats ?

#29 yachtie2k4

yachtie2k4

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts
  • Interests:http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/yachtie2k4/

Sailing Sailing Sailing Sailing Sailing Sailing Sailing RC boats, Virtual Skipper 5

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:56 AM

RIP Mr Oatley, fair winds and you shall forever sail into the sunset. Thank you for giving so much to sailing in Australia.

#30 SCANAS

SCANAS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts
  • Interests:Water and Mud

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:52 AM

So what were his boats ?ng this thread we have

If the last one was wo 11 then am I missing 8 boats ?

1 FARR 43
9 RP 60 now wild Joe
10 RP 66
11 RP100

Some power boats too apparently.

#31 rgeek

rgeek

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:43 PM

Legend. RIP

#32 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,303 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:23 PM

As usual Clean your recollection of the facts is heavily influenced by current events to suit your own delusional version of reality. Let's take, for example, your most recent post (on the front page no less) concerning Wild Oats, titled "the Smackdown downunder" or something equally childish.

little whinging babies everywhere.  Waaaaa...our boat got beat and Sailing Anarchy was mean about it!!!!Waaaaaa!!!!

The fact that your tiny brain can't remember that 'something equally childish' was a reference directly to the best thing ever produced about the 18s during the DVD era is weak tea.

And the fact that you and your idiot friend turned a tribute to a great man into your own personal sniping game shows just how little respect you actually had for him. 

You should be ashamed.

#33 Abbo

Abbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:31 PM

Riiight, so you shit can a bloke at every possible opportunity for several years and upon his demise you rush to join in the chorus of worldwide tributes to the great man.... And yet somehow I'm the one who should be ashamed? Obviously no mirrors in your house.

Ok here's a challenge. Why don't you find us an example of the last time you had something positive to say about Bob and the WOXI program. Good luck with that.

My respect for Bob is what compells me to call bullshit on your pathetic attempt at a tribute. How long did it take you? A minute? 5 minutes?

If you truly admired the man why don't you show some respect and perhaps even a little journalistic skill and integrity and take the time write an article with some substance to it rather than your usual 5 lines of bullshit and cliches.

#34 Cement_Shoes

Cement_Shoes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,618 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

Bob Oatley and his Wild Oats boats and sailing program were something that was easy to admire even from afar.   From the personal accounts of the man being told here and elsewhere, it appears that the admiration was well deserved. 

I think he ran the Wild Oats race team the way he wanted to, setting off to chase down the goals he wanted, and ignoring outside criticism.  I would guess that his response to commentary of his sailing team, schedule, boat etc, would be suggest that his critics build their own 100' maxi and run their own program how they see fit. 

The sailing community in Australia and indeed in all the world is emptier with his passing. 

#35 Cement_Shoes

Cement_Shoes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,618 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:15 PM

As a condolences thread all arguments best go down the corridor

+1 

#36 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,303 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:31 PM

Riiight, so you shit can a bloke at every possible opportunity for several years and upon his demise you rush to join in the chorus of worldwide tributes to the great man.... And yet somehow I'm the one who should be ashamed? Obviously no mirrors in your house.

Ok here's a challenge. Why don't you find us an example of the last time you had something positive to say about Bob and the WOXI program. Good luck with that.

My respect for Bob is what compells me to call bullshit on your pathetic attempt at a tribute. How long did it take you? A minute? 5 minutes?

If you truly admired the man why don't you show some respect and perhaps even a little journalistic skill and integrity and take the time write an article with some substance to it rather than your usual 5 lines of bullshit and cliches.

Keep showing your ass, nancy.  You'll find journalism and integrity down the hall in between cut-and-paste and sandy vagina - probably where you belong.

#37 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,102 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:03 PM

Can you lot just knock this shit off? Or at least take it outside.

Show some respect ffs

#38 quezal1

quezal1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:20 PM

Another ridiculous quote from your article... "despite a decade of design and redesign from the Oatley’s skinny recordholder specifically for this race – and only this race –  "   I can probably forgive you for missing two trips to the maxi worlds in Sardinia this vessel has done earlier in her career, and also the many other events she regularly competes in on the Aussie east coast, but I fail to see how even someone as ignorant as you can fail to acknowledge that less than 9 months ago she visited your own backyard on the good old West coast of the USA to compete in and WIN the Transpac. "Only this race"? Really?

wel, said we all know clean has a very selective memory and does nothing to promote events unless they allow him to go be involved in some form 

#39 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,672 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:48 AM

I didn't see any info that said whether he raced the last StH.

Did he? or was he too ill?

#40 ebaumes

ebaumes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:57 AM

Never realised it but I drank a lot of his wine. RIP

#41 arco-oz

arco-oz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:05 AM

I don't think he ever sailed a S2H in WO XI. Too crook. Sent home

from hospital on the morning of the SOLAS Big Boat Challenge as

there was nothing more they could do for him.

Until be became too ill to move, he sailed on WO X in the

Wednesday races on Pittwater.

#42 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,178 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:38 AM

A stunning silver 100 foot rocket ship of a boat turned this non-sailing redneck, from the other side of the world, on to the Sydney to Hobart and I've been hooked ever since.  

Thank you, Mr. Oatley

WetHog   :ph34r:

#43 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,349 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:34 AM

Keep showing your ass, nancy.  You'll find journalism and integrity down the hall in between cut-and-paste and sandy vagina - probably where you belong.

MrW5mUX.gif

#44 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:46 AM

A stunning silver 100 foot rocket ship of a boat turned this non-sailing redneck, from the other side of the world, on to the Sydney to Hobart and I've been hooked ever since.  

Thank you, Mr. Oatley

WetHog   :ph34r:

Bob treated S2H very seriously from the outset in the mid 80's with his first WO, the Farr 43 now Wild Rose. In those days a boat not too far behind the maxi's. I thought there was an earlier and smaller Farr but I can't properly recall. He found the best people and at times his crew looked like the Farr office go fast team. I recall Bob at nearly 60 yo sailed WO in all S2H before selling it to its current owner.

His philanthropy in the sailing scene will be sorely missed as he provided enormous support to Australian sailing and Olympic representation in particular for nearly 3 decades. That took many forms including individual support, buying boats and even providing Yachting Australia with its head quarters rent free.

His legacy is far more than just the WOXI show for those down-under. That said family members have been reported in the Australian press as saying WOXI will be lining up for this years S2H and beyond just as Bob would want it.

#45 wickham

wickham

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:08 AM

Actually he was just a very rich guy who used his money and influence to fuck over ocean racing for the rest of us.
Just brought a whole bunch of lobbyists and sycophants to change the rules to the detriment of the majority of private owners.

#46 Last Post

Last Post

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • Interests:The truth.

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:15 PM

Actually he was just a very rich guy who used his money and influence to fuck over ocean racing for the rest of us.
Just brought a whole bunch of lobbyists and sycophants to change the rules to the detriment of the majority of private owners.

Interesting view - how so? Care to expand?

#47 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,303 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:03 PM

Show some respect ffs

If some whinging aussie wants to mutate a thread to suit his personal dislike of me and doesn't mind turning off the hundreds of posters who usually say something nice in a tribute thread, that's his prerogative.  Maybe Dick and Abbo are secretly angry at Bob and were tired of the kind messages.

#48 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:25 PM

Show some respect ffs

If some whinging aussie wants to mutate a thread to suit his personal dislike of me and doesn't mind turning off the hundreds of posters who usually say something nice in a tribute thread, that's his prerogative.  Maybe Dick and Abbo are secretly angry at Bob and were tired of the kind messages.

And the post above is helping how??!!
You really need to grow and shut the fuck up sometimes!

But it works to pump up the post count ........

#49 pulpit

pulpit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:05 AM

Love him or hate him, Bob Oatley has lived a amazing life and done some amazing things in his life.

Bob was a self made man and worked hard to get wear he was, I'm shore that over his life he's had to do what he needed to get to wear he was. That's life and we all make decisions that we need to live with and others will not always agree with.

The thing is when I look at Bob and I never met him.

I think that he lived life to his personal creed and had a very full and happy life. So I think his personal creed would of looked some thing like this

1- family comes first no matter what. Just look at how the family always seen so tight and work together.

2- work hard in what ever he did. Self made man

3- live life to the fullest and enjoy your passions, he sill sailed when ever he could and even though he haven't sailed the hobart for years Bob was still a very big part of the team, the planning and the brains trust. Bob was not just the money.

4- be loyal to your mates and back them. Bob always backed his mates and workers as best as he could.

Bob Oatley new that to achieve anything in life you need to have a champion crew not a crew of champions. Bobs boats were sailed by his mates and you always new the smile on his face when oats crossed the line was a true smile of happiness.

So Bob, as you have just rounded the final mark, hoist the big kite and have a glass of your finest and sail into the sunset.

Well sailed and I hope my life can be as full as yours has been.

Pulpit

#50 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,102 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:15 AM

Show some respect ffs

You're right, it's just Clean trolling again.

#51 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,303 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:17 PM

not my troll.

Show some respect ffs

You're right, it's just Clean trolling again.

#52 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:03 PM

I'm told Bob was ecstatic to hear this person was also close to death.....many things.... but a modern music fan he wasn't. RIP David B.

Attached Files

#53 Matagi

Matagi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:01 PM

I got that.
Hilarious.

#54 Abbo

Abbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:10 AM

Show some respect ffs

Sigh.... the delusions are becoming more vivid. You could not be more wrong. I hope you get the help you need soon. Wait, I think I've figured this out.... do you vote republican?

#55 scaredsheep

scaredsheep

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:eating grass

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:47 PM

Thanks abbo. Enjoyed your various posts.

Like binge drinkin too
But mostly doppelbock german style beer.
8.2 current fav.
No more hard licker for this 56 yr old sheep
say hi to Scottie if you see him. Yes that
Scottie

#56 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building sailing boats, cruising, racing, day sailing.

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:00 AM

Bob Oatley achieved many things in his life.  Even more importantly, he helped many others to achieve in their lives as well.  Sail on Mr Oatley - much respect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users