• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,906 posts
  • Interests:- wind and waves
    - breathing underwater
    - graphics and illustration

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:08 PM

^^^

My Italian is limited but I can just imagine.....

Another view, from the ship

https://weather.com/...i-tsunami-italy

#3 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,801 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:20 PM

They've got lots of money - lawyers will have fun.

#4 Snore

Snore

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  • Interests:Sailing,

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:46 PM

^^^

I believe he said "that will burr right out"

#5 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,443 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:39 PM

Hey...You scratched my Azipod.....  

#6 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:59 PM

I thought that Capt'n Schettino was in jail.

#7 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,801 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:48 PM

He is but he was the senior captain so he probably (apparently) ran their training program.

#8 bgytr

bgytr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:57 PM

More thruster!

#9 RKoch

RKoch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:05 PM

I think the cruise ship went on their way? That's a bit of a surprise as I thought intl law was to stop if you caused damage.

#10 Marcjsmith

Marcjsmith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:10 PM

on the plus side.  I didn't see any sail boats damaged...

#11 h20man

h20man

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:36 PM

^^^

you can always go to youtube... click on closed captioning, and in settings ask it to auto translate.... not perfect.. but a lovely way to help with comprehension....   Although.... this whole event is incomprehensible........ :(

#12 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,581 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:40 PM

They have agents to deal with insurance claims. Also, if you did that would you want to hang around :rolleyes:

I think the cruise ship went on their way? That's a bit of a surprise as I thought intl law was to stop if you caused damage.

#13 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 03:45 PM

Just a little rubbing compound guys.

#14 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,801 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 03:57 PM

A few nails will put that marina back together.

#15 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:36 PM

If the cruise ship was actually drifting sideways into the marina, might have been worse had they not "gunned it".     How do you say "marina pancake" in Italia ?

#16 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:23 PM

That Weather.com vid has issues playing on my PC, but here's a higher-res video:

#17 SR CHIEF (RET)

SR CHIEF (RET)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:18 PM

Not a thruster. he is backing at full power on the port shaft . 100% pitch and max shaft RPM. Thrusters donts produce that amout of screw wash. Those ships are equipped with the Azipod drive units.

#18 Deepsea

Deepsea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:21 PM

I saw this in person from on board- was on a family trip and was on deck with my family explaining how the undocking was taking place. (I am actually a ship captain.) Way before that video started you could see things slowly going wrong- I was pointing out to family that it was a bit strange how they were maneuvering and a bit of "I wouldn't do it this way."  Then a bit of they can make this better if they do this...but they didn't do that.  And then they get to where the video started and there was no good way out of the situation.  Wind was not a factor, tugs were not a factor, situational awareness and basic ship handling failures, as well as I'm sure an interesting bridge team / pilot interaction were the cause.  Interesting that not a word was mentioned of it on board the ship.  They did do a lot of testing on the port azimuth after we were clear of the harbor- I would not be surprised if the port azipod prop touched bottom during the incident.  

#19 axolotl

axolotl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Camping

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:25 PM

It could be the captain did the right thing by powering up engines and avoided crashing through the marina and hitting the rocks.  His boat is worth many millions and the damage to the marina caused by prop wash is a pittance in comparison.  His error was prior to the video where he allowed his vessel to get in to such a compromised position.

He should be fired for that.

#20 resalsail

resalsail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:48 PM

Not a thruster. he is backing at full power on the port shaft . 100% pitch and max shaft RPM. Thrusters donts produce that amout of screw wash. Those ships are equipped with the Azipod drive units.

You sure ?  Looks like that's the stern closest to land/marina, not the bow.  

It looks like it was forward thrust from the screws that broke the dock

This one from onboard.

#21 Deepsea

Deepsea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:12 PM

The thrust was from the port azipod thruster.  The thruster was pointed to port.

#22 sailingk8

sailingk8

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,906 posts
  • Interests:- wind and waves
    - breathing underwater
    - graphics and illustration

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:43 PM

I saw this in person from on board- was on a family trip and was on deck with my family explaining how the undocking was taking place. (I am actually a ship captain.) Way before that video started you could see things slowly going wrong- I was pointing out to family that it was a bit strange how they were maneuvering and a bit of "I wouldn't do it this way."  Then a bit of they can make this better if they do this...but they didn't do that.  And then they get to where the video started and there was no good way out of the situation.  Wind was not a factor, tugs were not a factor, situational awareness and basic ship handling failures, as well as I'm sure an interesting bridge team / pilot interaction were the cause.  Interesting that not a word was mentioned of it on board the ship.  They did do a lot of testing on the port azimuth after we were clear of the harbor- I would not be surprised if the port azipod prop touched bottom during the incident.  

Thanks for the input and insider perspective. Out of curiosity what could they have said aboard at the time other than, "free drinks now being served in the Starboard Lounge, next ten minutes only!! 

#23 Deepsea

Deepsea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 09:27 PM

Thanks for the input and insider perspective. Out of curiosity what could they have said aboard at the time other than, "free drinks now being served in the Starboard Lounge, next ten minutes only!! 

Free drinks would have been great!  I think openness and transparency in the face of an incident is usually a better approach.  I've been using the example of a Quantas Airlines Pilot  for a lesson in crisis management in a leadership class I have been teaching.  Full disclosure about the event rather than 4000 passengers all gossiping about things they know nothing about might have better a better PR plan.  

#24 Leo from Rio

Leo from Rio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:19 PM

Unlucky bastard had a professor from kings point onboard watching his shit. Ha hahahah.

#25 Deepsea

Deepsea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:53 PM

Unlucky bastard had a professor from kings point onboard watching his shit. Ha hahahah.

Former- just a dirty boat driver now!

#26 Jaramaz

Jaramaz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:58 AM

Free drinks would have been great!  I think openness and transparency in the face of an incident is usually a better approach.  I've been using the example of a Quantas Airlines Pilot  for a lesson in crisis management in a leadership class I have been teaching.  Full disclosure about the event rather than 4000 passengers all gossiping about things they know nothing about might have better a better PR plan.  

+1.

/J

#27 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,584 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:38 PM

Thanks.  good to hear from an expert on the scene.  

#28 Snipe sailor

Snipe sailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:22 PM

Was a pilot in Board?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users