#1 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:31 AM

kantner-abu-sayyaf-video-16x9.jpg

The Abu Sayyaf group has threatened to behead a German hostage unless a $100,000 ransom is paid by February 26.

The hostage, long-time sailing cruiser Jurgen Kantner, was captured in November near the pirate stronghold of Tawi Tawi. In a video released last week, Kantner – surrounded by Abu Sayyaf fighters – addressed the German government, warning that the terrorists will kill him if the ransom is not paid soon.

The Philippine military is still working to confirm the authenticity of the video, but a spokesman discouraged the idea of paying for Kantner's release. “We don’t support ransom. They will just build their capability some more if they have money,” said Colonel Cirilito Sobejana, commander of Joint Task Force Sulu in comments to the Inquirer.

Abu Sayyaf has often made good on its threats. Last year, the group beheaded three prisoners – John Ridsdel, Robert Hall, and Philippine national Patrick Almodovar – after ransom demands went unmet.

The group is believed to be holding more than two dozen hostages at present, most of them seafarers who were captured from tugs and trawlers. It has released eleven captives since last June, including Norwegian national Kjartan Sekkingstad. Philippine Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana recently told CNN that Abu Sayyaf had released so many hostages thanks to the pressure of an intensified government offensive. (Analysts suggest that kidnapping is a lucrative practice for Abu Sayyaf, but the Philippine government does not generally comment on whether ransoms have been paid.)

Fight against Abu Sayyaf continues

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is engaged in a full-scale campaign against Abu Sayyaf in Sulu, Basilan and Mindanao, and it has recently stepped up its efforts under orders from Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte. Duterte has also encouraged Indonesian and Malaysian forces to join in the anti-piracy effort, granting them permission to pursue suspected pirates into Philippine waters; In addition, he recently said that he had asked China to contribute to patrols off Sulu and Basilan. "They can't patrol international waters without necessarily intruding into the territorial waters of countries," he said. "We would be glad if they have their presence there.”

Japan may also join in the campaign, according to Raymund Quilop, the Philippines' assistant defence minister for international affairs. Quilop said Tuesday that Japanese vice minister Ro Manabe had offered assistance "in addressing piracy and terrorism" at a meeting in Tokyo. However, a Japanese defense official told ChannelNews Asia that the assistance would be limited to capacity building. Thanks to the Maritime Executive.

#2 Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:46 AM

Those savages killed his wife last year when they were caputured IIRC

#3 edmorales

edmorales

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:17 AM

the philippine president duterte is a commie and a closet sympathizer of the abu sayaf. each night i pray for divine intervention to touch him. in the form of a TLAM or a JDAM

#4 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:56 AM

This thread has been following the antics of these pricks.

http://forums.sailin...l=&fromsearch=1

#5 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,358 posts
  • Interests:reminiscing,, and bugging Gouv <;-]

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:29 PM

...such a tough dilemma,, especially for the families of someone captured....

...... nobody wants to support and fund the captors,, but nobody wants to lose their dad,husband,son either.   :mellow:

#6 Boo-Yah

Boo-Yah

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Interests:Offshore and Star Boats

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:46 PM

As long as the victims were where they should be?  All our governments should do what they can with negotiations, money, and the military to get them back with the lowest possible risk to the rescuers. The moment the victims are free or gone.  The entire area and every place they have been or might go should be destroyed from the air.  Future pirates should get the message.  There is not upside or chance to proper as a pirate or taking the citizens of another nation hostage.  If you try to sneak into the likes of North Korea for excitement.  You are on your own.  If you vessel is snatched in international waters.  Hell should appear from the sky in all directions. 

Do not see the payments as ransom or negotiation in the true sense. The payments are nothing more than bait and tools to be used to destroy the perpetrators all all those near them.

#7 Boo-Yah

Boo-Yah

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:03 PM

...... nobody wants to support and fund the captors,, but nobody wants to lose their dad,husband,son either.   :mellow:

The key is making examples for all to see and setting precedent so it never happens again.   If you pick up the telephone and demand a ransom for the safe return of another person.  The only certainty is you will die along with all those around you.  The message.  Don't do it, stop it the moment you see anyone else with idea to hold someone for ransom.

#8 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:04 PM

As long as the victims were where they should be?  All our governments should do what they can with negotiations, money, and the military to get them back with the lowest possible risk to the rescuers. The moment the victims are free or gone.  The entire area and every place they have been or might go should be destroyed from the air.  Future pirates should get the message.  There is not upside or chance to proper as a pirate or taking the citizens of another nation hostage.  If you try to sneak into the likes of North Korea for excitement.  You are on your own.  If you vessel is snatched in international waters.  Hell should appear from the sky in all directions. 

Do not see the payments as ransom or negotiation in the true sense. The payments are nothing more than bait and tools to be used to destroy the perpetrators all all those near them.

You are fucking clueless. Watching too many movies.

There is no clearing where a group of pirates exchange the hostage for a bag of cash.

There are so many third parties involved, it is extremely difficult to work out who exactly the captors are.

#9 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,427 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:12 PM

There is no clearing where a group of pirates exchange the hostage for a bag of cash.

There are so many third parties involved, it is extremely difficult to work out who exactly the captors are.

Yeah, let's continue to handle these things the politically correct way, since it's been working out so well that way.

You must have voted for Hillary 

#10 Boo-Yah

Boo-Yah

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:28 PM

I am not looking for a clearing.  I expect some big holes in the ground in the middle of town.  The village, town, city, or state where the most local authorities did not deal with their problem.  Allowing their problem to spill over and become the world's problem.  The point if this shit is happening out of your corner of the world you will lose in some major way.  

#11 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:30 PM

Yeah, let's continue to handle these things the politically correct way, since it's been working out so well that way.

What do you propose?? Leaving a bag of cash next to a palm tree and have your precious Seal Team Six ambush who ever picks it up?? Have fun with your military bluster.

#12 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:31 PM

I voted for Hillary and I'm wondering why German Special Forces can't pull an OBL type raid and go get their guy back.  Worst case the guy still dies along with a bunch of pirates, best case they save the hostages and the pirates are still dead.

#13 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,427 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

What do you propose?? Leaving a bag of cash next to a palm tree and have your precious Seal Team Six ambush who ever picks it up?? Have fun with your military bluster.

The SEAL Team gets to have some fun

I voted for Hillary and I'm wondering why German Special Forces can't pull an OBL type raid and go get their guy back.  Worst case the guy still dies along with a bunch of pirates, best case they save the hostages and the pirates are still dead.

How did that vote work out for you?

I do agree 100% about the way you would handle it

#14 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

My votes not keeping me up at night but this ain't PA so I'll leave it there.  Paying ransoms to terrorists not only emboldens them but directly funds further terrorism.  If the Philippine government doesn't want to deal with terrorists kidnapping and murdering foreign nationals in their own backyard, I have exactly zero qualms with NATO dealing with it. 

#15 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:49 PM

This isn't an OBL case of going after one of the most dangerous people in the world.

This isn't a case of rescuing blameless children or aid workers.

This is an arrogant yachtie. Whether German, American, British or who the fuck it, doesn't matter.

This fuckwit decided to run the gauntlet in waters known for piracy.

He gambled and lost. Don't waste money on ransom and definitely don't waste money on military action.

#16 Par Avion

Par Avion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • Interests:Fighting fires, sailing, travel.

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:15 PM

I was cruising some Caribbean waters over new years with a large flotilla. The first anchorage we stopped in, we were approached fairly quickly by a common "pirate" skiff style boat with armed men. They "asked" for 5 usd per person to stay overnight. Of course we handed the money over straight away. Boat is easily seen in the middle of our raft. 

This encounter made me realize how vulnerable cruisers and liveaboards are. There is quite literally no way I would ever sail my own boat for an extended period of time in ANY waters without being heavily armed. I hope that the outcome is somehow good for this guy, but I can't help but think that there is a serious case of "that can't happen to me" going on with a lot of people traveling in known hostile waters. 

Attached Files

#17 SENDITBOYS

SENDITBOYS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:08 PM

There is quite literally no way I would ever sail my own boat for an extended period of time in ANY waters without being heavily armed.

Any waters? 

Never mind the fact that a weapon by no means guarantees you any degree of increased protection - dear we forget what happened to Sir Peter.

#18 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:11 PM

Guns didn't quite work here. Wife fired at them first so they shot her on the spot. They must have thought she would drive them mad if taken hostage.

Abduction and hostage number 2...wtf..this kraut looney seems to attract trouble like shit to a shoe.

https://mobile.nytim...l=&fromsearch=1

#19 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:21 PM

Noone of this would ever happen if the planet had a universal guaranteed income. Please write your local representative.

#20 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:29 PM

I was cruising some Caribbean waters over new years with a large flotilla. The first anchorage we stopped in, we were approached fairly quickly by a common "pirate" skiff style boat with armed men. They "asked" for 5 usd per person to stay overnight. Of course we handed the money over straight away. Boat is easily seen in the middle of our raft. 

This encounter made me realize how vulnerable cruisers and liveaboards are. There is quite literally no way I would ever sail my own boat for an extended period of time in ANY waters without being heavily armed. I hope that the outcome is somehow good for this guy, but I can't help but think that there is a serious case of "that can't happen to me" going on with a lot of people traveling in known hostile waters. 

This past year? Which Island? Which Anchorage? Did the men have uniforms and identify them selves? "Armed men" in the Caribbean is pretty serious.

#21 Boo-Yah

Boo-Yah

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:53 PM

There is no practical way to cruise a boat with firearms.  Not even in the US, the chance is very great you will end up in the local jail enjoying a rape or two along with your three hots and a cot.  Nothing screams morons like Moorings charter boats flying all kinds of laundry rafted up together.  That skiff looks a lot like the game wardens you will meet in the anchorages around St. Lucia and The Tobago Cays.  Did you assholes have the right cruising permits for the trip? 

#22 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:47 AM

I would just take the Dubinator with me...

#23 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:48 AM

He'd take those pirates for a little moonlight stroll.

#24 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:30 AM

terminator-52.jpg?w=720&cdnnode=1

photo.jpg

#25 Bull City

Bull City

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Interests:monthly Social Security check, oil painting, martinis

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:13 AM

Piracy is a plague. The world's governments have to track them down and bring them to justice. Cruisers have to be smart and avoid the areas where they operate.

#26 bigrpowr

bigrpowr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Interests:big horsepower

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:23 AM

terminator-52.jpg?w=720&cdnnode=1

photo.jpg

did always love dubinator's fanny pack .

#27 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:12 AM

And its still going strong...

happy-birthday-lord-d-ver-2-p41400551.jp

#28 NORBowGirl

NORBowGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:There is more to life than just being really, really good-looking.

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:59 AM

The key is making examples for all to see and setting precedent so it never happens again.   If you pick up the telephone and demand a ransom for the safe return of another person.  The only certainty is you will die along with all those around you.  The message.  Don't do it, stop it the moment you see anyone else with idea to hold someone for ransom.

Russian style. After some examples have been made in the middle east, I bet Russian tourists are pretty safe around the world....

#29 remmie

remmie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • Interests:Bow<br />Sailing<br />Girls<br />Computers<br />(in that order)

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:05 PM

This past year? Which Island? Which Anchorage? Did the men have uniforms and identify them selves? "Armed men" in the Caribbean is pretty serious.

That's the BucketLust bitches... they were down in Belize.  Quite frankly I'm surprised they didn't get them disgustingly drunk and laid.

The whole Kjartan release has a bit of additional twist to it.  He was expat local and obviously has local friends; one of them is a "business man", "B".  Remember this is a country where big rollers move about in armoured cash vans as limos, a hit can be bought for $100US and any off-track tourist hotels will have shotgun wielding doormen; I'd look askew at anyone successful in Phillipines.

Story I'd heard...  B was somewhat upset ("apoplectic" was the term that was used) that someone had the audacity to kidnap a friend of his.  B had people on ground, located Kjartan, and started "negotiations" (offered to send the rest of his boys to visit if Kjartan was harmed) within a couple weeks of the whole incident.

Level of influence I'm not sure of but Kjartan was the only foreigner to walk away; with out question there was some local politics going on.

#30 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,427 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:19 PM

If you carry a firearm, why didn't you shoot the fucks?

It looks like there was only 2 of them 

#31 NORBowGirl

NORBowGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:There is more to life than just being really, really good-looking.

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:35 PM

Story I'd heard...  B was somewhat upset ("apoplectic" was the term that was used) that someone had the audacity to kidnap a friend of his.  B had people on ground, located Kjartan, and started "negotiations" (offered to send the rest of his boys to visit if Kjartan was harmed) within a couple weeks of the whole incident.

Level of influence I'm not sure of but Kjartan was the only foreigner to walk away; with out question there was some local politics going on.

He was held captured almost a year.....must have been slow negotiations.

#32 Sail69

Sail69

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:10 PM

This isn't an OBL case of going after one of the most dangerous people in the world.

This is an arrogant yachtie. Whether German, American, British or who the fuck it, doesn't matter.

He gambled and lost. Don't waste money on ransom and definitely don't waste money on military action.

Isnt this his second time back to retrieve his boat...after being captured the first time?

#33 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:11 PM

Isnt this his second time back to retrieve his boat...after being captured the first time?

Yup, what a clown. Deserves what he gets. 

#34 Autonomous

Autonomous

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts
  • Interests:Boats & stuff

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:41 PM

Dunno if he deserved it but he sure as hell is a slow learner.

#35 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

Yup definitely deserves to be beheaded on video...you're a clown.

#36 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:32 PM

No first time was Somalia eventually got released and then went to SW Phillipines....not sure you could pick 2 worst locations on planet earth if you tried. Assume the next stop was Nth Korea?

#37 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,023 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:06 PM

Yup definitely deserves to be beheaded on video...you're a clown.

Nobody deserves, well maybe a couple in hindsight.

But he's a grade one fucking idiot and deserves almost no sympathy at all, and most definitely not the lives of others that might go in there to find him and get out.

Maybe the only way to fix his kind of stupid.

#38 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:08 PM

What you never banged a crazy redhead a second time after working out she was a nut job?

#39 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:39 PM

What you never banged a crazy redhead a second time after working out she was a nut job?

I was fortunate it didn't lead to beheading.

#40 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:05 PM

Did she take her teeth out?

#41 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:15 AM

A she???...it was Eric the Red.

#42 tane

tane

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:00 AM

...the proverbial german thoroughness: you gotta get abducted by all baddies worldwide to be able to form an educated opinion! what a clown! & now taxmoney should be used to free him?

a bad situation can arise very quickly with no forwarning & in an area where no incidents were recorded before (we had a bullthole in our mast, several in the main & nightmares for quite some time...), but to go from the worst area worldwide straight to the second after having gotten away..."slow learner", to put it mildly!

#43 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,364 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

Armed men asking for *$5*

:lol:

I think you met the park rangers. Pirates would have added a zero or three to that ;)

#44 LionessRacing

LionessRacing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Interests:club racing, navigation,

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:54 PM

you know my first wife 

#45 Par Avion

Par Avion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • Interests:Fighting fires, sailing, travel.

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:35 PM

There is no practical way to cruise a boat with firearms.  Not even in the US, the chance is very great you will end up in the local jail enjoying a rape or two along with your three hots and a cot.  Nothing screams morons like Moorings charter boats flying all kinds of laundry rafted up together.  That skiff looks a lot like the game wardens you will meet in the anchorages around St. Lucia and The Tobago Cays.  Did you assholes have the right cruising permits for the trip? 

Yeah St. Lucia is the only place in the world with skiffs.

I love the prison jargon, you sound like you're really in the know. Thanks for the advice. 

Partying assholes: definitely Morons: absolutley not. We're not new to this. 

#46 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,364 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:59 PM

So where and when did "pirates" extort $5 from you at gunpoint?

#47 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,381 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:33 PM

And its still going strong...

happy-birthday-lord-d-ver-2-p41400551.jp

Ist ashamme that Ian Dubbs dossente visitte "spunck soacked munkey pitte" anny morre.        :)

#48 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:07 PM

I agree Snaggs but some of the shit stained Monkey masturbating cunt pussies here might disagree. I think after his fine efforts here, Amazon have snapped him up to promote all their books worldwide.

#49 Freedom Skipper

Freedom Skipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Sailing and Singing

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:17 AM

...and the world thinks we American's are crazy because we want to keep guns in our homes!  When one's home is a boat and may sail into troubled waters, doesn't it make sense to want small arms to repel boarders if necessary?   

#50 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:56 AM

When one's home is a boat and may sail into troubled waters, doesn't it make sense to want small arms to repel boarders if necessary?   

Unless your definition of small arms is large calibre automatic to match what they have then it makes no sense. Your better off with a flare gun and a good supply of white shells. BTW white is COLREG's attention not distress colour and they can be very effective especially at night, when your not sure, against gas powered boats etc and at least don't cause customs issues, well in most places anyway.

If you think you must have something more than that well an RPG should give you the upper hand out there...in court because you have just smoked a local dive boat probably not.

#51 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:04 AM

...and the world thinks we American's are crazy because we want to keep guns in our homes!  When one's home is a boat and may sail into troubled waters, doesn't it make sense to want small arms to repel boarders if necessary?   

No, you should travel more .

#52 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:17 AM

When one's home is a boat and may sail into troubled waters, doesn't it make sense to want small arms to repel boarders if necessary?   

Your better off with a flare gun and a good supply of white shells. 

Someone could invent a long barreled repeating flare gun, complete w/red dot sights and an accurized flare.

#53 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:45 AM

Your better off with a flare gun and a good supply of white shells. 

Someone could invent a long barreled repeating flare gun, complete w/red dot sights and an accurized flare.

They already do ...but it takes a long time painting the shotgun pellets luminous white.

#54 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:11 AM

The public can buy white phosphorus in easy to apply paintable liquid?  :o

#55 Gun Club Jeff

Gun Club Jeff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,066 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting, making Jocal's head explode and any other action sports.

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:30 AM

the problem is the Euros, the Germans in particular, have funded Al Qaida and ISIS to the tune of several hundred MILLION dollars.  All it does it make them try harder to capture people from the countries they know will pay and that funds their terrorist enterprises.  Abu Sayaaf is just taking their cue from their other radical islamic brothers in the ME.

#56 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:35 AM

The public can buy white phosphorus in easy to apply paintable liquid?  :o

By the way we Lee in all seriousness a flare gun with a good supply of white shells is nearly a must have in Asia. Between fishing boats who suddenly cut across your bow on account they believe a near miss brings good luck in the catch department and the fuckers who tow unlit barges on long strings ...you go through a lot of shells. Trouble is old fashioned metal flare pistols are now nearly impossible to get and their plastic facsimilies are unreliable if not dangerous on account their specs are boarding on one off use. I am told some now use sawn off shotguns and 12g flare shells now because of that....which also become handy in the piracy deterent department.

#57 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:54 AM

This?

flare-guns-atf-fail.jpg

No, this....

Screen-shot-2015-12-27-at-1.04.17-AM.png

#58 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:28 AM

Lee I think you have an obsessive flare or anything gun obsesion thing happening son. It will make you famous or infamous, I suspect.

In the early 70's I was in Montreaux, Switzerland overlooking Lake Geneva and at a Frank Zappa concert. Some fuckin idiot (wasn't me) fired off a flare pistol and the theatre caught fire and was destroyed. We didn't get our fucking money back, and I got seperated from a Danish girl I had just met...so I was pretty pissed. Anyway a little bit later. 

Seems Deep Purple were also in town that night, recording I assume and observed all that smoke hanging over Lake Geneva.. Listen carefully to the lyrics of their "Smoke on the Water" for that story of flare pistols.

So Lee stay the fuck away from music festivals if your packing more than a toothbrush.

#59 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,364 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:40 PM

I have 25 mm flare pistol and actually have shot magnesium white flares at someone who was playing at half-ass pirate. It did work, they ran off at high speed B)

Another time facing a potential adversary in a steel ship, the 12 gauge looked as useful as a BB gun. We had a fake radio conversation between each other and someone played being the USCG. The ship went off and did something else  :lol: 

#60 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:03 PM

Lee I think you have an obsessive flare or anything gun obsesion thing happening son. It will make you famous or infamous, I suspect.

In the early 70's I was in Montreaux, Switzerland overlooking Lake Geneva and at a Frank Zappa concert. Some fuckin idiot (wasn't me) fired off a flare pistol and the theatre caught fire and was destroyed. We didn't get our fucking money back, and I got seperated from a Danish girl I had just met...so I was pretty pissed. Anyway a little bit later. 

Seems Deep Purple were also in town that night, recording I assume and observed all that smoke hanging over Lake Geneva.. Listen carefully to the lyrics of their "Smoke on the Water" for that story of flare pistols.

So Lee stay the fuck away from music festivals if your packing more than a toothbrush.

Yes, I'm aware the lyrics of that song have basis in fact.

I also saw Deep Purple do a double bill with Fleetwood Mac in the Mpls. Armory (may or may not have been packing acid) in '71 or '72 or '73 so when you were there @ Mont. it was the very early '70's or maybe even the late '60's? 

#61 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:13 AM

Pirates tend to keep clear of Texan girls...so always good to have one or two on board.

Attached Files

#62 Sail69

Sail69

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:13 PM

I thought Smoke on the Water came from the hotel that they were to record the album in burned down before they could get in there.  

#63 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:20 AM

I thought Smoke on the Water came from the hotel that they were to record the album in burned down before they could get in there.  

Both actually...They had a mobile studio. The Casino was where Frank was playing. Some DP guys were also in the audience.

Lyrics:

We all came out to Montreux
On the Lake Geneva shoreline
To make records with a mobile
We didn't have much time
Frank Zappa and the Mothers
Were at the best place around
But some stupid with a flare gun
Burned the place to the ground
Smoke on the water, a fire in the sky
Smoke on the water

They burned down the gambling house
It died with an awful sound
Funky Claude was running in and out
Pulling kids out the ground
When it all was over
We had to find another place
But Swiss time was running out
It seemed that we would lose the race
Smoke on the water

We ended up at the Grand Hotel
It was empty, cold and bare
But with the Rolling truck Stones thing just outside
Making our music there
With a few red lights, a few old beds
We made a place to sweat
No matter what we get out of this
I know, I know we'll never forget
Smoke on the water

#64 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,552 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:06 PM

the problem is the Euros, the Germans in particular, have funded Al Qaida and ISIS to the tune of several hundred MILLION dollars.  All it does it make them try harder to capture people from the countries they know will pay and that funds their terrorist enterprises.  Abu Sayaaf is just taking their cue from their other radical islamic brothers in the ME.

The US is funding Al Qaeda right now. Make sure you double check which group is getting funding from who.

#65 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:49 PM

The US is funding Al Qaeda right now. Make sure you double check which group is getting funding from who.
The US is finding Al Quasda there. WTF. TPG have you ever been to this part of the world..do you understand the local political situation? I suggest not you Turnip.

If just for your edification it is a minute divided by a minute divided by 1000 version of the shit fight in the Middle East, so consequentially no western nation gives a fuck including the US....well until these pricks start acting more global than beheading cruising sailors.

After all quick change of strategy and they can get on a plane and be in say Sydney Australis in 6 hours. Even the big dick swinging Phillo President doesn't worry too much about these muslim extremist/ ISIS pricks down south posing as poor pirates. That's because they are not a problem in the more populated north where the votes are for him.

This sailor guy is fucked because of his own Germanic stupidity plus no one cares other than his family.

Go have a look at what is happening in Mosul in Nth Iraq ...that is where sympathy and resources should be going and every Western country including the US are trying to help put this ISIS shit to rest.

Probably 100 inocent people, women and children included died in that joint in the short time it took me to write this rant about your idiotic comment. That's fucking horrifying by any measure.

#66 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,552 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:38 PM

The US is finding Al Quasda there. WTF. TPG have you ever been to this part of the world..do you understand the local political situation? I suggest not you Turnip.

If just for your edification it is a minute divided by a minute divided by 1000 version of the shit fight in the Middle East, so consequentially no western nation gives a fuck including the US....well until these pricks start acting more global than beheading cruising sailors.

After all quick change of strategy and they can get on a plane and be in say Sydney Australis in 6 hours. Even the big dick swinging Phillo President doesn't worry too much about these muslim extremist/ ISIS pricks down south posing as poor pirates. That's because they are not a problem in the more populated north where the votes are for him.

This sailor guy is fucked because of his own Germanic stupidity plus no one cares other than his family.

Go have a look at what is happening in Mosul in Nth Iraq ...that is where sympathy and resources should be going and every Western country including the US are trying to help put this ISIS shit to rest.

Probably 100 inocent people, women and children included died in that joint in the short time it took me to write this rant about your idiotic comment. That's fucking horrifying by any measure.

Thank you for backing my point.

#67 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:15 PM

Thank you for backing my point.
Fuck off and how dare you try and walk away with your hollow agreement shit ..Your highlight quote of what I said wasn't your point at all..Your point as you posted in black and white and for all to see was the US was directly or indirectly funding these fuckers.

Know the subject and think before you post political/country centric shit you turnip. Keep doing it and I will put John Wick on your arse.

#68 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,552 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:44 PM

Fuck off and how dare you try and walk away with your hollow agreement shit ..Your highlight quote of what I said wasn't your point at all..Your point as you posted in black and white and for all to see was the US was directly or indirectly funding these fuckers.

Know the subject and think before you post political/country centric shit you turnip. Keep doing it and I will put John Wick on your arse.

Awww snowflake.

#69 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:29 PM

Keep sucking on that bag of dicks backpedaller

#70 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,984 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:56 PM

https://twitter.com/...915039353765888

#71 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:05 PM

well, shit.

#72 sailingk8

sailingk8

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,881 posts
  • Interests:- wind and waves
    - breathing underwater
    - graphics and illustration

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:53 PM

http://m.philstar.co...7b5cf5e9af2ed/?

#73 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,072 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:21 PM

So that's it then, all four that were kidnapped from the marina are now dead?

#74 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:50 PM

http://m.philstar.co...7b5cf5e9af2ed/?

Part of me thinks this is awful, the other part of me thinks it's just Darwin at work. It's just not very smart to go into areas where this sort of stuff happens all too often. What horrific human beings these people are.

#75 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,940 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:54 PM

Not being interested in reading Any part of this thread

Nore going to PA

I wonder if GA might be better for this to be in PA ??

Pretty Sure The KING haz the keys to His Castle and all - But none the less 

#76 dash34

dash34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • Interests:Sailing my boat, playing bass and classical guitar, flying sailplanes, skiing, cycling and hiking.

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:13 PM

Someone needs to correct the front page.  It mentions Indonesia, when these events happened in the Phillipines.

#77 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:49 AM

So that's it then, all four that were kidnapped from the marina are now dead?

Marina 4 seperate. I think 2 of 4 are still held other two beheaded.

#78 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,072 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:40 AM

Whatever happened to Bedford, did he get the hell outta there safely??

#79 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:50 AM

Whatever happened to Bedford, did he get the hell outta there safely??

A Robert Hall from Bedford was mistakenly identified as the Canadian Robert Hall who was beheaded along with the other Canadian. I just checked, the other 2 from the Marina 4, a Norwegian (who managed the Marina) and a local were released last year.

#80 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,072 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:29 AM

SA's Bedford.

http://forums.sailin...c=168504&page=2

#81 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:06 AM

Thanks hobot..I must have dementia

#82 Mowgli Aquaticus

Mowgli Aquaticus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Diving, Surfing, Climbing and running amock.

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:55 AM

I agree - how much in the way of financial and military resources could a small terrorist group like Abu Sayyaf have that would pose any oppositional threat to an elite task force of any nation nearby. Why not launch a Navy Seal stealth type operation, and sweep through these islands, mount a rescue and then blow the bejesus out of the culprits. This is an attack on all sea farers and should snuffed out quickly, cleanly and efficiently. 

#83 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

Well that Mr Mow your "just blow the bejesus out of the culprets' is coming from someone who has spent zip time in the third world let alone southern PI. These pricks don't run around wearing a target. This shit is an industry that many feed off incl local law enforcement. The locals have to deal with this shit first if it is to be effective, Bringing in John Wayne or John Wick will not work.

#84 fivestar

fivestar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Yachting, diving

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:11 PM

Sorry to say it looks like the news is correct.

There is a video of the beheading on https://www.zerocensorship.com/

#85 Terry Hollis

Terry Hollis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:39 PM

I agree - how much in the way of financial and military resources could a small terrorist group like Abu Sayyaf have that would pose any oppositional threat to an elite task force of any nation nearby. Why not launch a Navy Seal stealth type operation, and sweep through these islands, mount a rescue and then blow the bejesus out of the culprits. This is an attack on all sea farers and should snuffed out quickly, cleanly and efficiently. 

Good luck with that .. there is more than 7,000 Islands in the Philippines .. 2,000 of them are inhabited.

#86 siesta

siesta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Cruising in Asia and began racing Prindle cats, Nacra's and Lasers and introduced these classes to Thailand in 1982

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:21 AM

There was an attack force of Navy Seals backed by aircraft embedded in the area with the mission to wipe out Abu Sayyaf but the Philippine clown President Duterte kicked the Americans out. " Now who you gonna call " ?

#87 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,145 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:52 PM

There was an attack force of Navy Seals backed by aircraft embedded in the area with the mission to wipe out Abu Sayyaf but the Philippine clown President Duterte kicked the Americans out. " Now who you gonna call " ?

there is an entire academic discipline devoted to the study of insurgencies - both past and present.., and how political and military powers have attempted to deal with them.

i know, because my daughter studies it

it goes back to the roman empire - actually even further back.., except the records of what actually happened before then get kind of thin.

mostly.., it is the study of failure

#88 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:08 PM

there is an entire academic discipline devoted to the study of insurgencies - both past and present.., and how political and military powers have attempted to deal with them.

it goes back to the roman empire - actually even further back.., except the records of what actually happened before then get kind of thin.

Fuck me..what unadulterated drivel...I'm speachless. Have you idealistic fuckwits ever being shot at in a shit hole like this where it doesn't matter who is shooting who? Get your hands off your dicks.

#89 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,145 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:20 PM

Fuck me..what unadulterated drivel...I'm speachless. Have you idealistic fuckwits ever being shot at in a shit hole like this where it doesn't matter who is shooting who? Get your hands off your dicks.

which part makes you "speachless".., the field of study.., or what I said about it?

#90 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:24 PM

which part makes you "speachless".., the field of study.., or what I said about it?

Simple...your naivety

#91 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,145 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:31 PM

Simple...your naivety

you haven't clarified much about your opinion.., so let's review:

I said that using military power to deal with insurgencies is usually not successful

you said that this belief is naive 

so, I guess that means that you think that military power can be used with success against insurgencies

perhaps you even think military power could be used successfully against Abu Sayaaf in this situation

OK...

This is now in the realm of topics covered in PA, and while I have read what happens there.., i don't post, so let's agree to disagree and leave it at that

#92 jack_sparrow

jack_sparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:39 PM

Simple...your naivety

I said that using military power to deal with insurgencies is usually not successful

so, I guess that means that you think that military power can be used with success against insurgencies

perhaps you even think military power could be used successfully against Abu Sayaaf in this situation

OK...

This is now in the realm of topics covered in PA, and while I have read what happens there.., i don't post, so let's agree to disagree and leave it at that
I have said nothing of the sort...you clearly can't comprehend plain English. Stop preaching about something you know fuck all about....and as for tieing it it back to the Roman empire...Your on fuckin crack.

#93 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,145 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

Simple...your naivety

OK...

I have said nothing of the sort...you clearly can't comprehend plain English. Stop preaching about something you know fuck all about.

Ok..

so let's agree to agree!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users