15 replies to this topic

#1 5degrees

5degrees

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:25 PM

Midnight Rider finished first in the Charleston -Bermuda Race.

Which SC 70 is it ??? a.k.a

Looks like Renegade to me - No windows.

#2 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:27 AM

Yeap... that's the girl with the new owners. Looks like they did a great job and TLC to her. That's the ex-Renegade, ex-Luna Barba. But she's not a standard SC70. This one's got a tall fractional carbon rig running both frac and masthead kites and a deaper keel with a bulb.

Great boat to sail and I sure miss her.

LZ

#3 5degrees

5degrees

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:40 AM

LZ - She looks great - What's the new rating?

Renegade was one of the fasted GL70's on the Great Lakes.

Tried to call you when I saw that they took 1st to finish, got your voice

mail, so I thought you might be you where on board.

#4 True Lies

True Lies

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:01 AM

Yeap... that's the girl with the new owners. Looks like they did a great job and TLC to her. That's the ex-Renegade, ex-Luna Barba. But she's not a standard SC70. This one's got a tall fractional carbon rig running both frac and masthead kites and a deaper keel with a bulb.

Great boat to sail and I sure miss her.

LZ

Renegade is an Andrews 73, Luna Barda was a turboed SC70.... Different boats

Attached Files

#5 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:15 AM

True Lies, you need to do your homework before you correct others.

Yes, you're right. But you're only right about one thing... there are two different boats. The were both owned by the same guy from Detroit, MI, both called "Renegade", with same graphics and both sail numbers USA55.

The Andrews 70 (not 73 unless stretched since) was a sistership to the old "Trader" Andrews 70 built in Estonia in the early '90. She came to the Great LAkes, sailed a couple of years and went off to live in Vancouver with new owners.

The SC70 was previously/originally named "Luna Barba" (turbo at that time) from the NW and was purchased by the guys in Detroit in the mid/late 90s, detuned back to a standard SC70, raced in the Great Lakes with the rest of the SC70 fleet and in early 2000 or 2001 shipped down to FL and turboed again. She was sold to the current owners this past Fall/Winter and renamed "Midnight Rider".

LZ

#6 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:16 AM

5Degrees,

You must have called me either while I was driving over to Buffalo this afternoon or while was at dinner with Dad. Will check voice mail. Otherwise, buz me tomorrow (Fri). Either number will reach me. We'll chat.

LZ

#7 bobbyh

bobbyh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:17 AM

I watched the Charleston to Bermuda start before our d12 laser regatta. Looked like a pretty sweet boat, even though it basically had to drift out of the harbor :D

#8 True Lies

True Lies

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:54 AM

True Lies, you need to do your homework before you correct others.

Yes, you're right. But you're only right about one thing... there are two different boats.  The were both owned by the same guy from Detroit, MI, both called "Renegade", with same graphics and both sail numbers USA55.

The Andrews 70 (not 73 unless stretched since) was a sistership to the old "Trader" Andrews 70 built in Estonia in the early '90. She came to the Great LAkes, sailed a couple of years and went off to live in Vancouver with new owners.

The SC70 was previously/originally named "Luna Barba" (turbo at that time) from the NW and was purchased by the guys in Detroit in the mid/late 90s, detuned back to a standard SC70, raced in the Great Lakes with the rest of the SC70 fleet and in early 2000 or 2001 shipped down to FL and turboed again.  She was sold to the current owners this past Fall/Winter and renamed "Midnight Rider".

LZ

Well maybe I am confused but that happens.... I have seen both boats side by side in Vancouver.

http://www.fraseryac...aseryachtsales

#9 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 01:29 PM

It's possible that you saw the two together. Renegade (Andrews) went to Vancouver in late 94-95 and Luna Barba (SC) was still there. They did not buy her until 97-98.

LZ

#10 Bcam

Bcam

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 02:10 PM

Dan had the Andrews out for Sailpast last weekend. Looking pretty spiffy from a distance. Is the SC the one that was damaged in the hurricanes last year?

#11 5degrees

5degrees

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 02:54 PM

LZ - Can't chat today - taking Leo from Blondie to Cubs vs Sox Game @ Wrigley. Big day her in Chi-town.

Quick Update.. Windancer N/M 68 sold and moving to Chicago Yacht Club members ... Cynosure going over to Muskegan to replace Windancer. Looks like Stripes might be in Chicago for most of the Summer. Looks like we'll have 7-8 Sleds for bouy racing and 10 for the Macs. Great work on the Bayview Mac Websight.
We'll catch up next week..

#12 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:53 PM

Sounds lke a great day in ChiTown. Yea, I heard about the boat switches. Who ended up with the NM68 at CYC? Glad she at least stayed around the area.

Keep in touch. I look forward to seeing you guys this summer. May not be until sometime before Chi-Mac. Doing Detroit NOOD, Mills race in Lake Erie than on to Block Island to do some RC work (scoring and other computer stuff). Will miss Chi NOOD :-(

Cheers and say Hi to Leo/Louie for me and have a great day at the ball park

LZ

p.s. glad you like the sites... seen the CYC Mac lately? ;-)

#13 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,244 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:12 PM

I believe Gene McCarthy is one of the new owners of the NM68. Cyno is Muskegon bound today or tomorrow. LZ, are you looking for a ride for the Tripp?

#14 WaterDog

WaterDog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Sking and bicycling

Posted 22 May 2005 - 11:50 PM

Talked to John yesterday and the new Winddancer is it the dock it Torresen. I'm only guessing he will keep the name but I have been wrong before. This should be a step up for them . The old 68 was showing it's age.

#15 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,244 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:32 AM

The new boat will keep the Windancer name. Will see the new one next weekend, looking forward to getting out on it.

#16 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 04:07 AM

I believe Gene McCarthy is one of the new owners of the NM68. Cyno is Muskegon bound today or tomorrow. LZ, are you looking for a ride for the Tripp?

Barley,

Thanks for the thought on a ride. I would love to do the races again this year but need to wait for a little while to see how things are running with the races. As you know, I'm RC for the Bayview Mac this year (I'd love to get my Mom & Dad out on the starting line and up to Mac if his health allows him to go) and having just setup the new Chicago Mac web site, I need to make sure things are running OK and the RC volunteers are comfortable with the running of the program at least until I get to the Island.

I'll keep you posted on how things are going and look forward to seeing you guys on the water this summer.

LZ

p.s. I hope the new owners are still planning on coming over to this side for our race too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users