Boatpix-Stay or Go

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Poll: Should BOATPIX be allowed to advertise here? (281 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the Ed ban this guy and his shameless advertising?

1. YES-Ban Him (157 votes [74.41%])

Percentage of vote: 74.41%

2. NO-Let him plug Shamelessly (54 votes [25.59%])

Percentage of vote: 25.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Damn Yankee

Damn Yankee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:24 PM

Should this guy be shot out of the sky?

#2 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:26 PM

He just purchased a year of advertising here - cut him some slack.

#3 Damn Yankee

Damn Yankee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:29 PM

He only purchased it after he got a reaction out of people and he expresses no sympathy for running a sub-par operation. How many complaints vs. compliments have you seen in the past two days?
If you were smart you would give this guy his money back and tell him to screw....

#4 Bowgirl

Bowgirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,481 posts
  • Interests:Heineken HPDO, Tempest sailing, tending orchids

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:32 PM

OK, so he's in ... let him stay. It doesn't mean anyone has to buy from him.

Personally I'd like to see some response from him to the issues expressed by his customers before I'd trust him.

#5 glexpress

glexpress

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:37 PM

Boatpix has every right to advertise here. People complained that they should buy space and they did, nothing wrong with that. That doesn't mean that people have to patronize them, or like them. I don’t feel compelled to go out and spend money like that on a picture, but to each is own.

#6 Assman

Assman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:39 PM

Look. I have been banned twice and have made comebacks.. cut the guy some slack. Lets put him on probation especially since he bought advertising. Unlike Tookie, maybe he can be reformed. Despit all the crap, I did buy a nice foto from them I wouldnt have otherwise.

D.Y. - The fact that there are 2 threads on this guy now blows.

#7 dyslexic dog

dyslexic dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:42 PM

Well, he says he did pay for his adv. but that has nothing to do with having him shot out of the air. To answer that question, the answer is yes. While I have paid for pictures from him, I get pissed,(thats angry, not drunk) when I see him coming now. I swear that he has no clue as to what his wash is doing to a fleet in light air. Is it illegal to shoot bottle rockets up at him?

#8 BJSailor

BJSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:45 PM

Ed, I can understand your shameless capitalist approach in taking advertising $'s. Beer money is always good. But I don't understand why you would accept a sponsor who not only has a large number of dissatisfied customers here on SA, but apparently disregards safety and respect for the sailors on the course.

Many people have expressed dissatisfaction with the product he provides, his pricing, and the cut-throat methods used to extract payment (apparently, many of them in error).

Obviously there is a track record of the helicopters flying too close to the fleets in the interest of getting shots. People have publically posted here on SA that they have been unfairly interfered with during races by these aircraft.

SA'ers have also voiced opinions that the pics are not what they are interested in purchasing, and some even complain that their boat wasn't even included in the shoot.

Shall we talk about business practices? Apparently this company commits to shoot events and then doesn't show. What would have been the outcome if the Event had not lined up an on-the-water photographer?

Personally, I don't have any experience with this outfit - either to purchase pictures or have them shoot one of my events. I think it's safe to say that I will consider long and hard before these guys get any consideration.

:) :P :D

#9 glexpress

glexpress

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:48 PM

Well, he says he did pay for his adv. but that has nothing to do with having him shot out of the air. To answer that question, the answer is yes. While I have paid for pictures from him, I get pissed,(thats angry, not drunk) when I see him coming now. I swear that he has no clue as to what is wash is doing to a fleet in light air. Is it illegal to shoot bottle rockets up at him?

That's it right there, I think that issue at heart for most people is the low flying, which has been disputed as to which company is guilty of the accusation. Is it boatpix or helepix? Ignoring that issue people have had customer service issues like being taken to collections with out agreeing to a purchase. Luckily I’ve only dealt with the low flying… by someone.
I think weather or not advertising space was purchased is not the hot button issue.

#10 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,900 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:51 PM

He only purchased it after he got a reaction out of people and he expresses no sympathy for running a sub-par operation. How many complaints vs. compliments have you seen in the past two days?
If you were smart you would give this guy his money back and tell him to screw....

I don't think BoatPix is the first advertiser abused into ponying up for ad space, no?

Let's just see if he can restrain himself and be useful like Mark at SPS, or if he's just going to pop up and flog his product from time to time. I'm sure he won't be making any friends if he shamelessly shills and doesn't add anything else.

I would've vote for a flick if he hadn't pony'd up, but he should get a shot as a legit advertiser.

#11 BJSailor

BJSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:56 PM

What about that SpliceNut guy? Bought and ad and was fairly trounced.

#12 HookEm

HookEm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:09 PM

There appear to be two issues:

1) Whether the guy is abusing the list with unpaid avertsing. However, he has not bought an ad and it would seem to now be a non-issue and

2) Whether we like this guy's business or not. The fact that he charges a bunch of money for photographs should be beside the point. If he charges too much, don't buy his product. There is a lot of stuff sold to sailors I don't buy because it costs too much. If someone thinks they can sell photos for less, they should hire their own helicopter, its called capitalism. I think all photographers seen pretty expensive, but if they can get it, good from them. If his collections department is too agressive turn him in to the BBB. Besides there are other vendors of sailboat stuff such as "The National Boating Retail Store" that also irritates people, but people keep buying from them too.

PS: I think sails cost too much, and sailmakers interfere with my racing by winning the races.

#13 jibeset

jibeset

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Fishing, Hunting and anything with ing on the end.

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:58 AM

The fact that boat pix pictures are high priced in my mind have no berring on the issue. It is the business practices that they use that are the issue. I am one of the people that they have sent to collection. I signed the agreement after a KWRW to have them send me the pictures that they had taken. They sent the pictures to me and they where nice shots. We as a team decided not to purchase the shots mainly due to the price and sent the pictures back according to there agreement. Over a year later I am sent to collections for not returning the pictures to them. I sent the pictures back to them the way they wanted. I think that if I have to hold on to a UPS reciept or Fed-ex however I sent it for over a year to be able to prove that they where sent is crap! I could understand if it was under 6 months. This was 14 and a half months later. They SUCK.

Hey Editor ----- Give them the money back for the advertising.... They are not upright or honest.

jibeset

#14 zk.kz

zk.kz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:21 AM

The fact that boat pix pictures are high priced in my mind have no berring on the issue. It is the business practices that they use that are the issue. I am one of the people that they have sent to collection. I signed the agreement after a KWRW to have them send me the pictures that they had taken. They sent the pictures to me and they where nice shots. We as a team decided not to purchase the shots mainly due to the price and sent the pictures back according to there agreement. Over a year later I am sent to collections for not returning the pictures to them. I sent the pictures back to them the way they wanted. I think that if I have to hold on to a UPS reciept or Fed-ex however I sent it for over a year to be able to prove that they where sent is crap! I could understand if it was under 6 months. This was 14 and a half months later. They SUCK.

Hey Editor ----- Give them the money back for the advertising.... They are not upright or honest.

jibeset

Same story only worse. He sent me grainy pictures of my boat with just the main up, no Head sail no Spin. Guys on other boats have taken better pitures with their cell phone camera's then what he sent me.

I sent the pictures back ( lucky for me Fedx, kept the recite) more then a year later I get a letter from a collection agency.
I'm trying to forget how much I had to spend to get this cleared up. But I did hire an attorney.
There are plenty of good photogs outthere we don't need this bozo. Don't buy from him.
Ed -----Dump him!!!

#15 Damn Yankee

Damn Yankee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 10:09 PM

No slack here.....77% say dump him and he does not even have the balls to defend himself.

#16 blubberboy

blubberboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 03:43 AM

Why not let him advertise his helicopter school too....

#17 dyslexic dog

dyslexic dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 04:11 AM

Tough crowd eh?

#18 Town Drunk

Town Drunk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 04:19 AM

Who needs Boatpix when we have Da Woody!

#19 MangoMan

MangoMan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:52 AM

I have never had any dealings with this Boat pix fellow, and hopefully never will from the sounds of it.

All I can say is, after recently dealing with the rigamarole of fixing my credit report due to an identity theft, that if some fucker sent me to collections after I had returned the product as per his instructions, and had the proof in the form of a receipt, there would be hell to pay.

Can you imagine having to hire a fucking attorney because some asshat is a shithead? Not to mention the hidden cost of the higher interest rates , insurance premiums, etc that you will have to pay because of a tarnished credit rating.

#20 jibeset

jibeset

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:05 PM

Hey Ed,

With a response like this from everyone I would have thought that you would have dumped them! Not run them on the front page....

Jibeset

#21 Spyder

Spyder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:14 PM

Has anyone been to their site? I just visited it again since it has been a while and what do I find? They ask more "required" questions than my doctor does at my annual check up. I thought this guy said all you nneded to do was eneter the name of the regatta and go. Well if I need to remember my hull registrastion number to look at pictures some one is trying to sell me then screw that.

#22 Sea Dog

Sea Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:20 PM

So long as he doesn't start threads about how his pictures can hold a can of piss up to conventional eye splices, then who really gives a crap.

#23 redboat

redboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,275 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:29 PM

Difference between SPS and this guy is that Mark offers explanations for fuck ups and makes an effort to do the right thing. Boatpix doesn't.....at least I don't recall seeing any.

#24 1sailor

1sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts
  • Interests:'SuperFly' Audi / Melges 20

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:21 PM

Hey Ed,

With a response like this from everyone I would have thought that you would have dumped them! Not run them on the front page....

Jibeset

Unbelievable-- this is total rejection by the SA commmunity. Keep his advertising money, doesn't mean we gotta use the guy.

I have yet another story just like those above but I won't bore you with the (same) details it's just like all the others.

This guy is a total ass clown, and based on his lack of response is a total weakling.

#25 AYACHT

AYACHT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:03 PM

They sent me some awlsome photo's of my old boat, problem was I don't know anyone on the boat!

They should fly around with clown costumes on :lol:

#26 This Is My Alternate Identity

This Is My Alternate Identity

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:12 PM

They sent me photos of my boat a couple of years ago. I had never asked for them or filled out a request to have them sent to me. So, I kept them - thank you very much!!!

Sure, about a year later here come the collection guys. Ended up in small claims court with my attorney (pro bono, since he's my crew) quoting postal regulations about the legality of the recipient being within his legal right to not return (or even acknowledge) unsolicited postal deliveries. My answer - "What pictures?" My office looks good with a big pic hanging there:-) My attorney/crew got the other one:-)

#27 Shorthanded

Shorthanded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:53 PM

Hey Ed,

Jibeset

Unbelievable-- this is total rejection by the SA commmunity. Keep his advertising money, doesn't mean we gotta use the guy.

I have yet another story just like those above but I won't bore you with the (same) details it's just like all the others.

This guy is a total ass clown, and based on his lack of response is a total weakling.

I'm with 1sailor - Ed should keep his money and we shouldn't buy from him. He sets up in the lobby of the Chippewa Hotel after each Chi/Mac. Have him show you every picture of your boat and then tell him no thanks. Oh, and don't forget to point out that everyone on the boat was flipping him off.

#28 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:07 PM

Well, he says he did pay for his adv. but that has nothing to do with having him shot out of the air. To answer that question, the answer is yes. While I have paid for pictures from him, I get pissed,(thats angry, not drunk) when I see him coming now. I swear that he has no clue as to what is wash is doing to a fleet in light air. Is it illegal to shoot bottle rockets up at him?

That's it right there, I think that issue at heart for most people is the low flying, which has been disputed as to which company is guilty of the accusation. Is it boatpix or helepix? Ignoring that issue people have had customer service issues like being taken to collections with out agreeing to a purchase. Luckily I’ve only dealt with the low flying… by someone.
I think weather or not advertising space was purchased is not the hot button issue.

It's a violation of Federal Law to operate an aircraft in a populated area under 500'. Just get a pic of the helo on the deck by a bunch of masts and send it to the FAA. The pilot will lose his ticket very quickly, the FAA takes this shit seriously.

#29 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,961 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:30 PM

It's a violation of Federal Law to operate an aircraft in a populated area under 500'. Just get a pic of the helo on the deck by a bunch of masts and send it to the FAA. The pilot will lose his ticket very quickly, the FAA takes this shit seriously.

Hard to believe BUT:

FAA don't give much of a rats ass about choppers

I Called about a chopper that droped down and flew no more than 50' above houses in Bay Park

All Rules pertain to "Fixed Wing Aircraft" for 500' Etc.

FAA Does take Flying Dangerously by all aircraft “Seriously”

Sad to think some cowboy can rip around in a Big Heavy Fuel filled POS wherever they want

When you contact the FAA the only problem that they will address is if::

The chopper interfered with your use of your boat ( Blows you around )

The operator made you fear for your “SAFTEY”

The fact that they made it back to land is there argument that they flew safely

If everyone gives the “You’re # One” salute they will get the hint

Tell the Guy that for the last two days of racing

You would like to Buy Lots of Tight Close-up shots of your Spinnaker from over your transom .

JUST Steer to the Marks + Finish line At least you’ll be going in the desired direction !!

#30 charlie don't surf

charlie don't surf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:37 PM

Send the flaming a**hole and his helicopter to Iraq to be shot at! Something a little more serious than bottle rockets!

#31 7.9 sailor

7.9 sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts
  • Interests:7.9's, other OD, rigging, Great Lakes racing

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:41 PM

Could we could take up a fund and UN-buy his ad's........

my 'chopper season' license application is still pending with the MiDNR. If he is over Michigan Territorial waters.........

#32 glexpress

glexpress

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:52 PM

Seems to me like someone is going to contact the FAA or the Coasties before I have a chance to next season, the Detroit NOODS aren't till June. Oh well, who ever narc's them please provide all the funny anecdotes here in SA.

#33 Damn Yankee

Damn Yankee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:01 PM

75% say this guy is a douche. Nough Said

#34 HigherNFaster

HigherNFaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:04 PM

Hated it!

#35 JOD

JOD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Libra who likes lawsuits and Cooking with spice

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:14 AM

75% say this guy is a douche. Nough Said

make that 78%

#36 Ned

Ned

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:38 AM

75% say flush boatpiques. How many say the Ed has sold out?

#37 Fluffy

Fluffy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:41 AM

Selling out would be banning this thread.

By taking his money while allowing us to pash him epitomizes anarchy.

#38 thirstyman

thirstyman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:24 AM

I not here much and thinking I'll be here less if half of the threads that I read are essentially canned advertising like the one he started. Yeah its free to be here but please respect the audience a bit more.

#39 usaboat

usaboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:34 AM

i contacted boatpix for pix and it took 3 times for a response.not including the multiple times trying to find the pix on his website. i finally got thru and got a bunch of pix which were so blurry,you couldn't make out people or details. i wondered why they would even think someone would accept the pix. the heineken photographer is great-nice website,easy to search and locate.even my 65 year old mother found our oix the next day-not months later.plus, i got clear,crisp photo's shipped from england within days of my order.

#40 Town Drunk

Town Drunk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:39 AM

Selling out would be banning this thread.

By taking his money while allowing us to pash him epitomizes anarchy.

What does pash mean?

#41 Fluffy

Fluffy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:34 AM

hmmmm, i think that was supposed to be bash.

Makes me wonder what words I mispelled on the exam I just wrote.

#42 Cleat

Cleat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 11:13 PM

I dont like him buzzing my boat, its annoying.

#43 GTYellowJacket

GTYellowJacket

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:05 PM

I just got the boatpix "You owe us 800 bucks for pics that you supposedly never sent back 20 months ago email". From the sounds of it, if I don't have the return receipt it's either pay for the pics or pay for an attorney. Is that pretty much the game?

#44 ScreaminO

ScreaminO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:09 PM

I just got the boatpix "You owe us 800 bucks for pics that you supposedly never sent back 20 months ago email". From the sounds of it, if I don't have the return receipt it's either pay for the pics or pay for an attorney. Is that pretty much the game?

Just got the same email...mine was from over 3 years ago! This shit is rediculous. Who is expected to keep a return receipt for 3 years??!! Although its probably their plan, wait till everyone throws the receipt away, then take them to collections with no evidence.

What have other people done to get out of this without their return receipt? These guys need to be shut down. I'm at the least reporting it to the BBB.

#45 gonzo

gonzo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:42 PM

I got the same email as well last night. what a bullshit tactic.

So I am no lawyer and if there are any lawyers that read this and can provide input, that would be great.
Would boatpix knowingly asking for money for a product that they know has been returned constitute fraud?
It seems that once you tell them the tracking number they all of a sudden say oh yeah we have it, sorry for fucking up your credit. :ph34r:

#46 WildRover

WildRover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:44 PM

Yup...Just got the you owe us $525 ASAP e-mail. I'm guessing that its from KWRW '04. If so, the pix were so blurry and dark that they went right back. Of course now I assume its up to me to find the return receipt. Any ideas if I can't?

By the way, called the collections guy this morning (voicemail, of course) and the boatpix main number. The woman that answered the main line basically said she was inundated with calls regarding collections this morning. Guess they sent out a lot of e-mails last night!

#47 BJSailor

BJSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:45 PM

Did all of you request them to send you pics for review or were they sent to you unsolicited?

#48 gonzo

gonzo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:47 PM

sent for review and sent back. verified they recieved them and did not worry about it for the last 3 fuckin years!

#49 LoopyGirdleSniffer

LoopyGirdleSniffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:51 PM

Of course now I assume its up to me to find the return receipt. Any ideas if I can't?

How did you send the pix back? UPS, DHL, FedEx etc. Some service with trackable Air Waybills? You know the approximate date of return, and you know who they were sent to and from. Call at the management level of your courier company and tell them what's up. They don't just throw away your tracking info when the package gets there. They should be able to find it.

#50 ScreaminO

ScreaminO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:53 PM

sent for review and sent back. verified they recieved them and did not worry about it for the last 3 fuckin years!

Same here. Asked for them, didn't want them, sent them back. Made sure they made it and were signed for. I even kept the receipt for a few months too, just in case. But, threw it away over 3 years ago.

Left them a voice mail this morning, still haven't heard back. Basically stating what kind of records do you guys keep if it takes you 3 1/2 years to think I never sent the pics back (even though I did).

#51 Fluffy

Fluffy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:59 PM

Wow, so these guys wait untill they advertise on SA and there is a thread dedicated to trashing them to send a number of SA members to collections?

In the words of LR, Boatpix is more unpredictable than a retarded kid playing craps!

#52 Essex

Essex

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:59 PM

Well I just check the better business bureau website and boatpix.xom has been a member since 2003.
In that time he has has all of 3 complaints which were 'resolved satisfactorily'.

So have at it folks, take your stories right over there and lets watch that rating....

http://www.bbbsouthe...633000020000057

#53 GTYellowJacket

GTYellowJacket

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:01 PM

Mine were from 04 St. Pete NOOD. I requested them, got them, saw the prices, choked and returned them via USPS. I got the signature confirmation back, kept it in the wallet a couple of months and trashed it.

It seems clear to me that it's a scam....the amount they want is substantial, but still less than lawyering up would cost.

EDIT: I especially like the 15% discount if you send your money by 1-Jan and 10% discount if it goes before 10-Jan. What a crock of shit.

#54 BJSailor

BJSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:05 PM

Wow Boatpix is going a long way to trash their own business. What, do they think this group of people won't express their displeasure to regatta organizers about this group? They don't think that we'll be out there telling everyone what a crappy business they run?

#55 GTYellowJacket

GTYellowJacket

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:06 PM

Re: BBB....I'm going to give them a chance to return my call...however, if they don't get it straightened out, a BBB complaint is on the way.

#56 gonzo

gonzo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:10 PM

just send the BBB this thread and lets see what happens.

#57 Greg B

Greg B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:13 PM

You think the BBB is something BoatPix should be afraid of? The worst BBB can do is take away their membership. Big deal. Who actually goes to the BBB records before dealing with a sailing related vendor? Not many people.

This board and SA is actually far worse than any BBB could ever be. I see a certain trend when reading through a lot of people's letters they JUST received and all have similar stories.

What a crock of crap. BTW, BoatPix has STILL not come on and defended any of his side. Interesting.

#58 NACRADUDE

NACRADUDE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts
  • Interests:Various women, various boats, and various states of consciousness.

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:20 PM

This shit is absolutely unreal. If I ever see that chopper over my boat, I sense an emergency that will require a flare gun salute. Not that he fly's over many cat regattas.

#59 Valentin

Valentin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:20 PM

My crewmate bought me a picture of our boat from KWRW 04 as a gift with delivery to my address.
The print quality was soooo poor, however the web preview was descent.
I sent it back, mentioning the order number.
Neither my friend got a refund nor I got re-print.
$70 loss.

#60 ScreaminO

ScreaminO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:27 PM

Of course now I assume its up to me to find the return receipt. Any ideas if I can't?

How did you send the pix back? UPS, DHL, FedEx etc. Some service with trackable Air Waybills? You know the approximate date of return, and you know who they were sent to and from. Call at the management level of your courier company and tell them what's up. They don't just throw away your tracking info when the package gets there. They should be able to find it.

I called UPS. They don't have any info for tracking numbers after a year at most. I told them my problem, and she apologized, but they don't have any records 3 1/2 years back.

#61 BJSailor

BJSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:28 PM

Just e-mailed boatpix this thread. Asked them to repsond.

Think we'll hear from them?

#62 PhiloBeddoe

PhiloBeddoe

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Interests:http://farr40.org/

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:43 PM

So I am no lawyer and if there are any lawyers that read this and can provide input, that would be great.
Would boatpix knowingly asking for money for a product that they know has been returned constitute fraud?
It seems that once you tell them the tracking number they all of a sudden say oh yeah we have it, sorry for fucking up your credit. :ph34r:

I had this happen once with Boatpix, I called them and the collections agency. Truthfully I sent them back a little whilel past the return deadline, becuase I was still unsure about buyng them. Finally I figured out all I had to do was scan them before returning. Anyway, I told them both to fuck off, I returned the photos (which I did) , and said if there is any action against me i would sue them. (prior to calling them find out where their kids go to school...and let them know you know, it dosnt hurt). Anyway.. I never heard from them again.

#63 Delta Blues

Delta Blues

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,808 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:01 PM

Well, Boatpix must be a profitable business because it has been around for a number of years. However, the owner would be very smart to glean as much information from this thread and make the corrections part of his business plan in 2006. All he can do is make more money by following the advice given by his clients. The customer is always right!

#64 jibeset

jibeset

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:02 PM

NO! They are to CHICKEN!

jibeset

Just e-mailed boatpix this thread. Asked them to repsond.

Think we'll hear from them?

#65 jo-mama

jo-mama

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:08 PM

your state ag handles consumer fraud.
skip bbb,
go right to your state ag office and file a complaint.

#66 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:19 PM

Hmmm. I wonder what litigation is possible against Boat Pix for this specific type of activity. It certainly sounds as if there are enough people to make up a class of plaintifs.

#67 glexpress

glexpress

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:41 PM

Hmmm. I wonder what litigation is possible against Boat Pix for this specific type of activity. It certainly sounds as if there are enough people to make up a class of plaintifs.

The first ever class action suit formed in SA? Ahh is there anything the www cannot do?

Beer please..............................dammit, ok... well it can't do everything.

#68 LoopyGirdleSniffer

LoopyGirdleSniffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:54 PM

I called UPS. They don't have any info for tracking numbers after a year at most. I told them my problem, and she apologized, but they don't have any records 3 1/2 years back.

I'm not arguing here, but I can't believe that they would trash computer records after 1 year considering the statute of limitations is 7.

The Air Waybill appended to the manifest of the aircraft it was sent on is a document that is required by the authorities (For ships its the Bill of Lading, and I believe Trucks use a manifest as well not sure). The records may not be on the Customer Service Database, but they have them. They can be found.

#69 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:02 PM

The first ever class action suit formed in SA? Ahh is there anything the www cannot do?

Beer please..............................dammit, ok... well it can't do everything.

Can you imagine what a jury would do after it was prove to them that BoatPix habitually engaged in in practices that in the best case scenario were indicative of sloppy book keeping and in the worst case were extortionate.

"So, the defendant mails pictures, which were returned, which Boat Pix managed to "lose" any record of return, which resulted in the plaintiff having a compromised credit history, having to spend time and money researching and potentially having to spend money for pictures they neither wanted nor kept"..... I would think that a sympathetic jury would view that as a lot of pain and suffering.

I bet BoatPix is beginning to regret ever advertising here. Talk about Pandora's Box.

#70 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:05 PM

I had this happen once with Boatpix, I called them and the collections agency. Truthfully I sent them back a little whilel past the return deadline, becuase I was still unsure about buyng them. Finally I figured out all I had to do was scan them before returning. Anyway, I told them both to fuck off, I returned the photos (which I did) , and said if there is any action against me i would sue them. (prior to calling them find out where their kids go to school...and let them know you know, it dosnt hurt). Anyway.. I never heard from them again.

This one's priceless. You signed the agreement for the photos, returned them late, after you stole (scanned) copyrighted material. If that aint the pot calling the kettle black......

#71 Essex

Essex

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:11 PM

Can you imagine what a jury would do after it was prove to them that BoatPix habitually engaged in in practices that in the best case scenario were indicative of sloppy book keeping and in the worst case were extortionate.

Now your beginning to sound more like a RICO case,
and is it significant that they do this across many states ?

#72 Colin

Colin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:13 PM

They don't have any pictures of boats I'm on that don't proudly display the bowman flipping the bird the bird.

Someone told me I could be rule 69'd if I kept doing that. Is that true?

#73 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:24 PM

Now your beginning to sound more like a RICO case,
and is it significant that they do this across many states ?

I am no lawyer, but RICO would be a criminal matter and I was thinking more about civil litigation. After all, the agreived parties here don't want Boat Pix in jail, they just want Boat Pix to stop their extortionate practices and pay up for the inconvenience and credit damage they have suffered.

As for the issue of this practice being conducted in multiple states I guess it means that this could be a matter for federal courts versus state courts. It also means that as a plaintiff you could pick the state that offered you the best chances for victory.

But I am sure some one with a legal background can point out 10 different ways I am wrong. Solo?

They don't have any pictures of boats I'm on that don't proudly display the bowman flipping the bird the bird.

Someone told me I could be rule 69'd if I kept doing that. Is that true?

Who is going to protest you? The helicopter pilot? Fuck, I would show him the brown eye.

#74 f off

f off

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:59 PM

Let the ed keep his money and don't buy anything from him. Pretty simple to me.

#75 jo-mama

jo-mama

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 07:16 PM

https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.sta...Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

btw: that was a short answer: you owe me $5

#76 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 07:19 PM

Whew!

Maybe I'm lucky he didn't have the 6yr old negs of my boat still in stock when I asked via e-mail 'cause there was no way from his on-line form I coulda' done so w/a Canadian postal code.

#77 PhiloBeddoe

PhiloBeddoe

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Interests:http://farr40.org/

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:02 PM

This one's priceless. You signed the agreement for the photos, returned them late, after you stole (scanned) copyrighted material. If that aint the pot calling the kettle black......

errrrrr,.....Yeah. You got it. Congrats!

#78 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:41 PM

Got this today. WTF kind of BS is this? Have not dealt with them in years.

Todd,

Let me apologize in advance if you have already been contacted. I am doing a thorough investigation of your records with us. I will send you one more email when my investigation is complete. I assure you, if you don't Owe, I will get your account cleared in the next few days.

If you are found to be in debt, I will be glad to show all proof showing
that debt. I will also be willing to work with you on getting it resolved.

May the New Year bring health and happiness to you and yours.

Sincerely

Frank Woolsey
Accounts Manager
BOATPIX.com

#79 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 03:37 PM

Got this today. WTF kind of BS is this? Have not dealt with them in years.

Todd,

Let me apologize in advance if you have already been contacted. I am doing a thorough investigation of your records with us. I will send you one more email when my investigation is complete. I assure you, if you don't Owe, I will get your account cleared in the next few days.

If you are found to be in debt, I will be glad to show all proof showing
that debt. I will also be willing to work with you on getting it resolved.

May the New Year bring health and happiness to you and yours.

Sincerely

Frank Woolsey
Accounts Manager
BOATPIX.com

Wow.

Sounds like a blanket e-mail to everyone who has ever had dealings with them admitting their shitty bookwork.

I'm floored that they are still in business after reading all this stuff.

Un-fuckin' believable.

DG

#80 more cowbell

more cowbell

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 04:58 PM

Boatpix should not be banned from advertising. It still is a frre country. Don't get me wrong - I don't like the manner they do business either, and I have flown the Rockefeller salute to the helicopter everytime they get to close an backwash our main. Use your $$$ to vote by and do not give them any of your business as in don't ask for the pictures in the first place.

#81 Roadie

Roadie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 31 December 2005 - 08:16 PM

In my experience the guys a dick. Asked for a sample or a website to look at the pictures of my boat and he said "I have a helicopter do you know how much they cost?, I can't do that, then you won't buy my pictures"

I say ban the bastard, the pictures all sucked anyway. :angry:

#82 Charlie Foxtrot

Charlie Foxtrot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts
  • Interests:Thistle #3130

Posted 31 December 2005 - 08:52 PM

1) Ed's sandbox - he can do what he wants with it.

2) Advice to Ed: Our family business - an electrical contracting firm - has been around for 3 generations. One of the reasons for that longevity is an absolute adherence to ethical business practices. Unethical behavior - even if legal - is not tolerated from suppliers, subcontractors, employees, managers, nor the owners. The firm's reputation is its greatest asset. And that reputation can be easily tarnished by associates.

Don't let SA's reputation be tarnished by shady operator.

3) Ed, thanks for these past years. Happy New Year, and best wishes for the coming years.

CF, Out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users