#1 Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • Interests:N/A

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:38 PM

I have a lead on an older Capri 37. I know the sails are going to be expensive, but aside from that what should I look for good and bad in the boat?

Many thanks.

#2 dopo

dopo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Interests:Member # 535

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:50 PM

solo your thoughts?

I have never seen one do well, but thatmight just be the crew

#3 Schnick

Schnick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:51 PM

I think there are a few versions. The one that is on yachtworld right now with open transom/big wheel and a floor in the interior is one of the later versions. The older (prototype?) ones have closed transom, and a weird cockpit with compartments. Also smaller wheel and I think they rate quite a bit slower. Pretty solid, not too much to go wrong, but the actual congressional cups ones will have been whipped when racing, limited controls means people tortured the few controls they had; vang etc.

#4 Kaptainkriz

Kaptainkriz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, duh!
    Tanzer 25 #28, Akoni
    Capri 30 #11, Rock Lobster (sold)
    http://www.tqci.net/~jkriz/Tanzer25.html

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:36 PM

These claim to rate 68 and 74 and both been modified to have lifelines for PHRF:
http://www.sailboato...267928315.2&bd=[bd]&p1=[p1]&p2=[p2]&xs=[xs]&l1=[l1]&l2=[l2]&active=T&sb=[sb]&dr=[dr]&ad=%5Bad%5D

http://www.marinesou...37__6410316.cfm

Aren't 92's like 108phrf?

...if the 37 is anything like the 30, check for core delam EVERYWHERE.... <_<

#5 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,927 posts
  • Interests:scallop mining and rudder fairing
    stair falling book cover mending

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:56 PM

solo your thoughts?

yeah, it's slower downwind than a j92.

s.

rating?

#6 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:01 PM

I've been recently considering one too. The "for public consumtion" ones IE - For PHRF - seem to have a slighty revised deck and interior, new keel and rudder and taller rig. Oh, and life lines. Base PHRF at least was 66, but most seem to be 72 to 78. I believe the Congressional Cup versions were built in 1990 and the only ones I've seem as PHRF versions have been 1992. As such, they should not have the same problems as the older Capri 30's. The one in CA is Infringer - was on the Cheasapeak. I used to race against her (as crew on a N/M 46) and she seemed to do well sometimes. Some do not have folding props (Probably was not standard eguip.) and some have roller furling. The "experts" have told me that it should prove to be an easy boat to sail in most conditions with a short crew - 5 to 6 - and should not have many problems - it's pretty simple after all. But of course, it is built by Catalina so.... Anyway - I was thinking of a Capri 30 as an interm boat - I sail a Capri 22 now - long story - but the idea of a Capri 37 for the price of a trashed and much older and problem filled J35 or Schock 35 and not much more than a J29 or Olson 30 is very attractive. Sails would cost more, but it's only money! Check out the web site for the Congressional Cup - you can see top sailors playing bumper cars with 37 foot boats! ANy additional inof on these boats would also be appreciated!

www.lbyc.org/concup/

Attached Files

#7 porttack

porttack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:29 PM

One for sale in New Orleans, was owned by the broker him self (Stanton Murray) good guy, boats seems cheap for a 37 fter http://www.marina42....me.cgi?d=murray good luck.

#8 sailsd

sailsd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:48 PM

Just remimber that LBYC did not choose the Capri 37 for the Congressional Cup because it was fast or that it was a boat they really wanted to sail. The same goes for the sailors. The Capri 37 was chosen because Frank Butler/Catalina was nice enough to support sailing and give them a great deal on the boats. You can say what you want about Catalina but they did help out and the boats have held up resonable well with the abuse given.

#9 35degreesofheel

35degreesofheel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:06 PM

It's a neat boat for an open keelboat racer. Can't really do anything overnight in them though, can you? There are faster boats that can be had that would cost less in slip fees. If they are as fun to drive a Capri 25's that would be one hell of a boat.

It's too bad catalina didn't put even some of a cabin on them, they could have made nice r/c's.

Maybe when LBYC finally gets rid of their fleet one can be had for practically nothing and a cabin could be added.

#10 XPHRFer

XPHRFer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:21 PM

I think they are a heavy air boat?

#11 Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • Interests:N/A

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:27 PM

Thank you all! This is great info.

I'll check out the boat and let you know how it turns out. Unfortunately, the wife and kids already hate it because of the lack of interior - just what I like most about it!

JYD

#12 Former MDR Vandal 1

Former MDR Vandal 1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:26 PM

I've been recently considering one too. The "for public consumtion" ones IE - For PHRF - seem to have a slighty revised deck and interior, new keel and rudder and taller rig. Oh, and life lines. Base PHRF at least was 66, but most seem to be 72 to 78. I believe the Congressional Cup versions were built in 1990 and the only ones I've seem as PHRF versions have been 1992. As such, they should not have the same problems as the older Capri 30's. The one in CA is Infringer - was on the Cheasapeak. I used to race against her (as crew on a N/M 46) and she seemed to do well sometimes. Some do not have folding props (Probably was not standard eguip.) and some have roller furling. The "experts" have told me that it should prove to be an easy boat to sail in most conditions with a short crew - 5 to 6 - and should not have many problems - it's pretty simple after all. But of course, it is built by Catalina so.... Anyway - I was thinking of a Capri 30 as an interm boat - I sail a Capri 22 now - long story - but the idea of a Capri 37 for the price of a trashed and much older and problem filled J35 or Schock 35 and not much more than a J29 or Olson 30 is very attractive. Sails would cost more, but it's only money! Check out the web site for the Congressional Cup - you can see top sailors playing bumper cars with 37 foot boats! ANy additional inof on these boats would also be appreciated!

www.lbyc.org/concup/

These are simply not a fast boat. I sailed on the one in the picture, which was eventually owned by a Cal YC member named Abbott. He was very generous and would lend it to various challenge teams for the Club for practice prior to events (Ficker Cup, US Offshore, etc.) in Long Beach. In that picture one of the in-house designers from Catalina, Daniel, is driving. There are a lot of guys from Evolution on board, soon after they won the Cal Cup. It still didn't do well. Its PHRF (Pretty Horrible Rating Formula) number was 60 at first, but they keep on raising it.

The Congo Boats always had lifelines. The Congo Cup skippers petioned LBYC to remove them so that they could save a few bucks on the damage deposits.

There was one in Jersey City in NY Harbor which would race in Wed. night races sponsored by the local sailing club. They would do OK, but when they would leave the confines of the Harbor and travel to LIS or Block, they would get completely trounced. This was a reflection of the quality of the program, the quality of the competition in NY Harbor coming out of Jersey City (non-existent, what a bunch of yabbos!!!) and the quality of the boat.

The Congo boats are great for what they are used for, but the Capri 37 version isn't a happening boat. A good daysailer, maybe.

#13 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:45 PM

These are simply not a fast boat. I sailed on the one in the picture, which was eventually owned by a Cal YC member named Abbott. He was very generous and would lend it to various challenge teams for the Club for practice prior to events (Ficker Cup, US Offshore, etc.) in Long Beach. In that picture one of the in-house designers from Catalina, Daniel, is driving. There are a lot of guys from Evolution on board, soon after they won the Cal Cup. It still didn't do well. Its PHRF (Pretty Horrible Rating Formula) number was 60 at first, but they keep on raising it.

The Congo Boats always had lifelines. The Congo Cup skippers petioned LBYC to remove them so that they could save a few bucks on the damage deposits.

There was one in Jersey City in NY Harbor which would race in Wed. night races sponsored by the local sailing club. They would do OK, but when they would leave the confines of the Harbor and travel to LIS or Block, they would get completely trounced. This was a reflection of the quality of the program, the quality of the competition in NY Harbor coming out of Jersey City (non-existent, what a bunch of yabbos!!!) and the quality of the boat.

The Congo boats are great for what they are used for, but the Capri 37 version isn't a happening boat. A good daysailer, maybe.

Thanks for the info. Still confused though - its it the boat or the subjective PHRF rating that makes it a bad choice? I guess what I'm asking is - does it have a good "fun" factor regardless of rating issues or is it a "dog" and would be a frustrating boat to sail period?

#14 Former MDR Vandal 1

Former MDR Vandal 1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for the info. Still confused though - its it the boat or the subjective PHRF rating that makes it a bad choice? I guess what I'm asking is - does it have a good "fun" factor regardless of rating issues or is it a "dog" and would be a frustrating boat to sail period?

I think the fact that it couldn't sail close to its predicted PH rating is indicative of a problem with the boat. But you are really asking a subjective question -- Cal 20's are "dogs," but racing in the Cal 20 Nationals is a blast. So it really depends on your definition of "fun."

One time during an Area J US Offshore qualifier, we were sent outside down to Eva and Emma (two oil rigs). It was decent breeze, about 18. The boat was sort of labored, despite the fact we had a good driver (Sleds, etc. and former sailmaker for WeBeGe). It just never "took off." I delieverd Schock 35's down the same track with the kite up and had a much more fun time. It is a heavy boat with a heavy rig.

#15 Former MDR Vandal 1

Former MDR Vandal 1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:46 PM

"that's the dumbest comment ever."

Great. Now I have no where to go but up.

#16 haz

haz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:34 PM

If you're looking in the $35M range, there's a Schock 41 on Yachtworld.

I've sailed on and against this boat years ago. Has the flush deck look of the Catalina, full kit, and an interior.

I'm not affiliated in any way, but just think it's a cool boat sitting unused.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users