• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 jibeset

jibeset

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Fishing, Hunting and anything with ing on the end.

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:19 AM

a bad credit score because of their SHITTY accounting. This is MY monthly reminder to every newbie that might come in contact with them. They have shafted LOTS of people. Don't get sucked in and order pictures from them!

jibeset

#2 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:57 PM

Jibeset,
If you follow there directions they wont send you to collections, not that i am defending BP but its spelled out in there contract dont blame them.
John

#3 blubberboy

blubberboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:22 PM

Jibeset,
If you follow there directions they wont send you to collections, not that i am defending BP but its spelled out in there contract dont blame them.
John

If you want to learn how to fly a helicopter, this is the school for you....

boatpix??

#4 blubberboy

blubberboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:32 PM

And remember,

'Helicopters are expensive and the cost is recovered in the pictures. Our least expensive picture is a huge 16”x20” color picture, about the size of a 25” TV for $250. If this is out of your price range, please have someone photograph your boat from another boat.'

At BOATPIX.com, we take great care to capture high quality, vibrant and exciting pictures to sell at reasonable prices. Selling pictures by mail can create unusual problems. In order to control all situations such as fraud, we require your agreement to certain policies before sending you pictures.

1. Delivery: We will send the pictures out via United Parcel Service to the address you provide and our agreement will consider the pictures received when the United Parcel Service agent delivers these to your address and logs the delivery as such on his/her electronic recording device. As the United Parcel Service agent will not require personal identification upon delivery, we contractually agree that the person that receives the package is acting on your behalf and that you have no claim against no-receipt provided the United Parcel Service list the package as delivered to the address you provided.

2. Returns: If you choose not to buy pictures and exercise your right to return pictures in the allotted ten day time period (ten days from your receipt as listed by United Parcel Service), you agree to return the pictures by a traceable carrier and will demonstrate delivery to our address if asked. If you cannot demonstrate delivery to our address you agree to pay for the full package immediately. All photographs are custom work.

3. Shortages: We accurately count the pictures that we send you and accurately count those that you return. Our count of photographs is the one that matters and is final. If you return a package to us and pictures are missing we will assume that you kept them and wish for us to bill you. You agree to pay for all kept pictures immediately.

4. Collections: We agree that you will return those pictures you do not wish to buy within ten days and you will pay immediately for pictures you keep more than ten days. Failure on your part to comply with the terms and conditions of this contract shall constitute a default entitling us to pursue any legal or equitable remedies, including the collection of reasonable attorney's fees and court cost incurred as a result of the default.

5. Copyright: All images remain the property of BOATPIX.com which has exclusive rights to the images. You are buying an individual photograph of our image and not the image itself. No pictures can be copied for any reason. No uses in magazines, T-shirts,brochures,paintings,sketches,artwork,postcards,business cards, web sites, computer screen savers, brokerage ads, mugs, making your own photographs or any other uses.

6. No-SPAM Policy: BOATPIX.com DOES NOT condone SPAM eMail. As a BOATPIX.com customer, you may occasional receive an unsolicited eMail message requesting information regarding upcoming boating events in your area. This information is used to help us select events that are of particular interest to our valued customers. BOATPIX.com customers have the option of removing their eMail address from future mailings. BOATPIX.com honors all removal requests.

7. Privacy: BOATPIX.com respects your privacy. BOATPIX.com does not disclose customer information to third parties. Customer information is used only for order fulfillment and an occasional eMail message as described in Section 6.

8. Participant Mailing Lists: BOATPIX.com will not disclose nor share any event participant list with any 3rd party. List data is used only by BOATPIX.com for direct marketing of BOATPIX.com photo products to event participants.

BOATPIX.com expressly retains all ownership of copyright in the subject photograph(s) described or displayed on this web site (the "Work") including the exclusive rights to reproduce the Work in all media, to prepare derivative works based on the Work, to distribute copies of the Work to the public by the sale or other disposition, and to display the Work publicly. The sale of a copy of the Work to Customer does not convey the copyright into the Work.

BOATPIX.com grants Customer the right to privately display the Work at Customer's home or business. However,no license is granted to use the Work for purposes of commerce or advertisement of any product or service. In the event Customer fails to make full payment for the Work to BOATPIX.com within ten days from Customer's receipt of Customer's copy of the Work, Customer shall be liable for liquidated damages equal to the purchase price, interest thereon at the highest rate permitted by law or 18% per annum (whichever is lower), plus BOATPIX.com's actual attorney's fees incurred at all levels including pre-litigation, litigation and appeal, and Customer shall pay all cost incurred by BOATPIX.com incident to collection.

In the event Customer infringes on BOATPIX.com copyright in and to the Work in any manner, Customer agrees that (a) BOATPIX.com shall be entitled to obtain and immediate injunction to prevent further infringement (in which event BOATPIX.com shall not be required to post bond or if bond is not waivable such bond shall not exceed $100.); (B) BOATPIX.com shall be entitled to recover the greater of its actual damages or statutory damages in a sum not to exceed $20,000 in cases of non-willful infringement; © BOATPIX.com shall be entitled to recover it's actual attorney's fees at all levels and cost incurred in enforcing its right under the U.S. Copyright Act (Title 17, U.S. Code) and under any federal or ancillary state claims for relief. Under no circumstances will BOATPIX.com or its principals be responsible for Customer's attorney's fees or cost unless it shall have been judicially determined that BOATPIX.com brought suit maliciously and in bad faith, and there was a total absence of any justiciable issue of law or fact.

The parties agree that the sole and exclusive venue for the resolution of any and all disputes arising of this Contract or for copyright infringement shall lie in a Court of competent jurisdiction situated only in Broward County, Florida. The parties further agree that service of process will be deemed valid if it is effected in the manner prescribed by the law of any State in the United States, including Certified or Registered U.S. mail return receipt requested.

If customer should decide not to buy the Work or other BOATPIX.com photographs sent to Customer, then Customer agrees to return all such unwanted photographs immediately to BOATPIX.com by Federal Express, United Parcel Service, Registered U.S. Mail (insured), similar "traceable" carrier. Customer assumes responsibility for all lost, damaged, or unreturned photographs.

#5 Sharks With Frikkin Lasers

Sharks With Frikkin Lasers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:54 PM

Jibeset,
John

If you do a search on SA for threads on Boatpix, you will see that people who followed the directions still ended up being sent to collections.

#6 XPHRFer

XPHRFer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:33 PM

BoatPix is pretty good and they are the only ones out there taking the shots from the air(at least here in NY).
If you send the Pix back and they still go to collections thats a whole different story?The photos are expensive
but there are ways to make the photos cheap ;) depends if you buy one or a whole package.I dont think there is another company out there that is gonna send you a bunch of Pix(5) of your boat at no charge with the option to just send them back if you dont like them?I would bet they get burned all the time, thats why they end up in collection.If you send them back and they still go to collection then you should have sent them registered or certified or whatever you call it when they have to sign for them saying they recieved them.You could also insure the photos when you send them back and then your totally covered(only costs a few bucks)so they are taking all the risk sending the photos. And they do take great Pix we have bought Pix from them several times and never had a problem.If they dissappear who will take ariel shots?

#7 boatschit

boatschit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:04 PM

... has anyone gone to the extent of purchasing one of those RC Helicopters with cameras mounted in them?

I've heard that they are becoming more popular and without a doubt far less expensive than flying a real helicopter around.

Not too mention an RC Chopper is far less likely to be OBTRUSIVE durning a race being that they won’t change the wind direction every time they hover near the course...

#8 blubberboy

blubberboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 11:26 PM

... has anyone gone to the extent of purchasing one of those RC Helicopters with cameras mounted in them?

I've heard that they are becoming more popular and without a doubt far less expensive than flying a real helicopter around.

Not too mention an RC Chopper is far less likely to be OBTRUSIVE durning a race being that they won’t change the wind direction every time they hover near the course...

I've never heard of an RC helicopter with a camera mount. First off, there would be too much vibration that would lead to poor quality images. Secondly, they are very difficult to fly. And last of all, you'd have to follow the RC chopper around in a powerboat.

#9 Emu

Emu

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 11:40 PM

I had Boatpix send me a set of pictures a few years ago. I think I kept 2 8x10s, and sent back the big ones. No issues, but it's a little more hassle to send stuff back that you knew you didn't want to buy.

This year, I just ordered 2 8x10s directly off the web site. Totally unique pictures of the boat, and nice quality.

I have no association with Boatpix, but thought people should hear another view.

#10 THOR

THOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts
  • Location:brown water white knuckle racing, former Member Number 1957

Posted 19 March 2006 - 01:20 AM

Geez are them lawyers or fotographers ? Always seem to me that outfits who need all that lawyer yumble REALLY need it, cause they are out to get you....

Sending out photos with UPS to a private address without the remark : Has to PERSONALLY sign , do NOT leave on BAck door !!! AND THAN HAVE THE ODESSITY TO TRY TO COLLECT if the original recepient has NOT signed is just laughable at best ... C'mon guys

Sending a bunch of photos without having an order for everyone you receive ? And you have to send them back ... well you might do good pics, but this is way old fashinioned and so un necessary...
Option one : have thumbs on website with logo superimposed ...order exaclty what you need from Website.
Option two : have full pics and block the save as function ... I am not a web pro by all means but its done all over ....

250 bucks for one shot, and although you can use my picture, I cannot make t shirts from it ( not that I want to ) , or use it on my website ??????

It boils down to this, if you dont like those prices, dont buy from them, its their job ...if they dont make enough dough they go away and somebody else will step up .

Now it would be soooo easy if you could buy a pic and get full use no matter what . They wouldnt have to go through all the expenses of sending and back counting and processing and what else not, just email the original file and thats it... done ... easy fair and without any problems .......

thor

#11 jsmin

jsmin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 01:37 AM

just scan all the pics when you get them, then send them back. sounds like free pics then, just cost you the shipping back.

#12 flumpmaster

flumpmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 01:44 AM

I've never heard of an RC helicopter with a camera mount. First off, there would be too much vibration that would lead to poor quality images. Secondly, they are very difficult to fly. And last of all, you'd have to follow the RC chopper around in a powerboat.

The latest Hobie calender has an aerial shot of the Tiger Worlds taken with an RC helicopter. Looks pretty good to me - I can read my sail number.

#13 f off

f off

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:28 AM

They are dirtballs and screw with every race course they shoot. so many bad stories about them screwing with good sailors and good people.

STAY AWAY.

#14 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,363 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:30 AM

Not too mention an RC Chopper is far less likely to be OBTRUSIVE durning a race being that they won't change the wind direction every time they hover near the course...

hustler found some free space on the foredeck after they moved the mast parnters so they now are going to have an RC pilot monkey during all OD regattas.

s.

Yeah and you can always recognize the heli by the fact that it is the only one out there with the guido chains on it

#15 Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:52 AM

RC, Helicopter and RC plane photos and videos aren't anything new, however they are becoming more and more widely used. The US Airforce has been using RC spi-planes for a fair while not to mention Geologists doing Aerial surveys, all from the back of a station wagon.

As technology gets better with respect to Gyro-stabilizers and anti-shake, the pictures are only going to get better, and given todays Offshore Capable speedboats, this form of photograghy could well be the "Normal" thing of the future.

#16 jibeset

jibeset

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:30 AM

Jibeset,
John

John, I did and they still sent me to collections a year and a half after I had sent the pictures back.

jibeset

#17 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:38 AM

The RC heli photos are all the rage on the RC sailing circuit. Pretty soon there will be RC drinking after the RC sailing events...

#18 Mid

Mid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,409 posts
  • Interests:T 'n A ,

S D 'n R&R

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:44 AM

from the 3rd world ...?

http://www.helicam-asia.com/

#19 Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:37 PM

Some of the RC Helicopters they are using for aerials are awesome bits of gear - oh yeah and big too?

Attached Files

#20 StevenRolland

StevenRolland

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:I part own and race the National Sonata "Figaro" primarily on the rivers Blackwater and Crouch on the east cost of England

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:07 PM

I dont think there is another company out there that is gonna send you a bunch of Pix(5) of your boat at no charge with the option to just send them back if you dont like them?

From my memories in the UK all of the photographers did this until about ten years ago when some clever spark invented the digital camera and now photographers do not need to go to the expense and owners do not need to worry about sending pictures back. Are you telling me they can afford a helicopter but not a digital camera? Seems to me they need to update their equipment if they still have to send out un-solicited photos.

#21 blubberboy

blubberboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:35 PM

from the 3rd world ...?

http://www.helicam-asia.com/

I stand corrected, but you need to get offshore, still need a boat, right? Now you have some extra expences. Rent a plane for $120 an hour.

#22 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:43 AM

Jibeset,
Sorry to hear that, I've dealt with them for years no problems I guess Tom knows what would happen if he sent me to collections, I do the collecting!
And then I would bend up the blades on his toy.

#23 bottlerocket

bottlerocket

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:01 AM

Why not take a few pictures of the copter and send them to them, wait for them to be reutrned and then send them to collections? If everyone does it maybe they'd move on.

It sounds as if the satisfied customers are those that choose to purchase the pictures sent to them. Everyone else thinks they suck.

#24 jibeset

jibeset

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:23 AM

Why not take a few pictures of the copter and send them to them, wait for them to be reutrned and then send them to collections? If everyone does it maybe they'd move on.

It sounds as if the satisfied customers are those that choose to purchase the pictures sent to them. Everyone else thinks they suck.

That would most likely be true. For those of us that do return them like they want and then 1 1/2 years later they send you to collections for the photo's you didn't return. How long do you need to hang on to a ups or fedex label before you think its ok to throw away? I guess it is longer than year and a half.

jibeset

#25 blubberboy

blubberboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:13 AM

Not trying to hi-jack this thread, but since we are discussing RC aircraft for photography....

I was at a rugby tourni at a field just outside of Chicago that was being shared with the local RC fellows. Two planes collided over the pitch and crashed to the ground. The game was stopped while the RC boys went out onto the pitch to recover there busted up toys. When the planes collided and crashed, the folks on the sidelines cheered. When the lads went out to get there broken gear off the pitch they were harshly boo'd.

As for the boys at boatpix, you reap what you sow. It’s a small community…..

#26 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:50 PM

Jibeset,
Sorry to hear that, I've dealt with them for years no problems I guess Tom knows what would happen if he sent me to collections, I do the collecting!
And then I would bend up the blades on his toy.

You're all talk! B)

#27 jibeset

jibeset

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:51 PM

Out of all this trouble all I know for sure is that they have some very PISSED OFF people bad mouthing there business.

jibeset

#28 glexpress

glexpress

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:04 PM

Uhoh, Here's Boat Pix problem, look at their pilot
Posted Image

#29 hdglightning

hdglightning

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:20 PM

RC helis could be used to take pics, but recovering the heli is the problem. Helis are not easy to fly, and are very expensive to crash. I fly them regularly, and have crashed them regularly as well. Plus they sink.

The issue is landing on a moving boat. Prob possible, but only on a large platform. People could get killed.

Also, the time and visibility is an issue. RC have between 5 and in the commercial field 1 hr of flight time. The pilot has to be in visible range of the heli, etc.

Basiclly it is great for on land, but would be near impossible over water.

And yes, I fly helis on occasion for a construction company to take pics (RC) of commercial job sites. The pictures are better and more consistant than from a moving plane. Plus quicker. I can take accurate heights (500ft normally) and positions (gps locator) with downloaded information to a base station. Heli can be positioned within about 5 feet of the ideal spot. I have done work for underwater surveys in some military zones, and even did a survey of several "hot" storage zones that people could not safely work in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users