Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:40 AM

From the front page...

Big Pimpin'

This Contest is Rigged

Free POWERLITE PBO standing rigging! SA advertiser West Marine Rigging is offering a free POWERLITE PBO rig to the person that can tell us why they are most deserving of free high tech standing rigging for their boat. As always, creativity counts! This is a great opportunity for one lucky Anarchist to receive this new performance product that incorporates big weight savings with complete compatibility to improve the overall performance of their boat. Visit their web site to review all the technical information or here to see if your boat would benefit from this killer offer.

A panel of West Marine Rigging associates and of course SA will select the Anarchist contestant that best describes why they should be the lucky recipient. Once a winner has been selected the rig will be produced and their boat will be featured in an upcoming Sailing Anarchy article.

All entries must be submitted in the SA forum by June 10th and the winner will be announced on June 19th. Have fun!

You can be an owner or a regular crew of a boat that really could use this very cool freeu pgrade. Write a couple of paragraphs that best tell why you should be The Chosen One.

Boat Guidlines:

A - Length of Boat that will supply contest (22' to 38')

B - Rigging will be supplied for Continuous Rigging.

C - Rigging will be supplied to Dis-Continuous that use intersect points with Toggle jaw to marine eye. Tip cup version is still under Research and Development.

D - PBO sized only in the 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" and 7/16".

E - No Headstay will be supplied as we do not supply at this time.

F - Detailed lengths and fitting termination to be supplied by customer or existing rigging to be sent in to duplicate to PBO.

#2 soling2003

soling2003

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts
  • Interests:sailing, of course, retired now. Diving, skiing, etc.

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:47 AM

Ok, here goes.

Like a typical Anarchist, we are out sailing and racing our boat whenever possilble.

I purchased the Peterson 37 about 5 years ago from a non-profit organization, and the proceeds went to help the juniors at our local club.
After purchasing the boat, I spent the next two years adding a semi-cruising interior in the cabin so that we could race AND cruise her, and stripped down all the hardware off the deck and repainted her from top to bottom, gettin rid of the 80's huge orange and white stripes with a much more traditional dark navy blue with gold waterline and sheer stripes.

Now comes the fun part. I have been racing for years with sailing friends since we were kids. I had been asked by alot of the guys from work over the years if they could go out with me sometime. So I got a group of fellow firefighters, and on our days off, we went out and I taught them how to sail, then we started racing. The first major mid distance series, we were first in class and 2nd overall! Then we repeated our selves the following year.

They were all hooked, and even converted a few die hard powerboaters.
At our local Whidbey Island Race Week last year, we were 2nd in class, plus the only boat to sport a keg of Hale's Ale Blonde chilling down below during each race!

Now to the point, we are a bunch of firefighters here in Seattle out having fun and sailing hard. I have a group of 20 guys to draw from, depending on our schedules, I can get 10 out for each race. Our racing team was even written up a few times in our local Union newspaper.

Racing both the major races here and the great Duck Dodge beer can races with themes. You should see 14 guys all dressed in their finest prom dresses during "Prom night", and my beautiful wife in white tails!! And yes, it did happen as we have "pictures to prove it".

As firefighters, we don't make much money, but keepin' What? A Tripp! in tip top shape with her bueatiful blue topsides and white bottom takes all my time, money and energy. Having a new set of Powerlite PBO rigging would just top off the set up. It might give us that edge to make the hurdle into first.

#3 soling2003

soling2003

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:10 AM

Attached File  Blake_Island2__2005.jpg   96.3K   181 downloadsalmost forgot...2 great pics

#4 soling2003

soling2003

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:15 AM

Attached File  DSC_158956_2.jpg   112.95K   124 downloads

#5 walterbshaffer

walterbshaffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts
  • Interests:Formerly Member No. 9720

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:17 PM

Because I can get you an overnight date with her.

#6 buchhla

buchhla

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:29 PM

Having a new set of Powerlite PBO rigging would just top off the set up. It might give us that edge to make the hurdle into first.

Only if continue with the guerilla warefare banana tactics at whidbey! :)

That was a great series last year though...

#7 Captain Bastard

Captain Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:07 PM

Someone is probably more deserving yet I'll cast my lot in...

I need the rigging as I bought my Olson 30 from SH/DH sailor and fellow anarchist who had his ride (Hobie 33) dismasted on the DH leg back from Bermuda last year. Knowing the vintage on most of the critical items on board with the exception of the rod rigging makes the rigging a great candidate for replacement.

I have not used the boat much in the last year as I have a new son (now 13 months old) born with no right ventricle in his heart. He is doing great now but it is time to take the family weekending and new rigging would be an awesome plus. I have, on accasion, looked askance at the rig while sailing in a blow wondering if I would be able to cut the rig away if need be.

Thanks,

#8 thumper

thumper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Classboats, Sport Boats, Innovation, Cruising

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:34 PM

I'm going to enter this contest like a true Anarchist. I should get the rigging for reasons of power and greed! I own an International 110. It has 4 wires. The forestay is 1/8", shrouds 3/32", and the backstay is kevlar thread. It cost me about $10 to re-rig the thing, hardly worth wasting a good contest like this on.

My part-time, part-time is whoring on my friends "big boats" (all relative). Melges 24, J29, J33 whoever has the cutest chicks, coldest beer, less bitches, or I can trade favors for. I once traded one afternoon crewing on a J24 (skipper was desperate) for 3 days of pulling new electrical wires thru my attic in 140 degrees (the guy was also small, I'm 245#). It's all in fun but I'm a pretty good sailor and I've got an extended group of friends. Besides, I get to go to more crew parties at Christmas.

So, now for the power and greed. As and Anarchy contest, you give me the winning ticket and I wave it around to in front of the boys to see who will bark like a dog, kiss my ass, and generally lower themselves to the level of a moron to get free rigging. I tell you what, that "feature" write-up will be a lot more fun! For those on the selection committee, I belong to KYC so you can also come to Hawaii, enjoy the Pacific Cup Finish, get free drinks from the barking morons kissing my ass in hopes to get free rigging and when I arbitraily give it away, you can do the write up in true Anarchy style. Cool Huh!

#9 boatschit

boatschit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:46 PM

... I need to know what the PHRF knock is going to be...

Come now, out with it...

#10 The Winner

The Winner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:57 PM

Attached File  Pete.jpg   147.35K   251 downloadsI think this guy could use some

#11 papa

papa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:04 PM

Greetings!

I would like to submit my entry here for an upgrade to the Powerlite PBO standing rigging.

Racing in the One-Design R33 fleet here in Southern California is exciting. The racing is always close, and often times I am competing against very accomplished sailors (i.e. world A-class champion Pete Melvin, world Tornado champion Johnny Lovell, world 505/18' skiff champion Howard Hamlin, world Tornado champion Charlie Ogletree, 2 time National NACRA Champion Scott Klodowski, etc, etc. ... not to mention the boat's designer Randy Reynolds and his top notch crew). Racing against these guys is really a challenge.

Additionally, this is our second year racing with the PHRF-A fleet monohulls in Long Beach Yacht Club's Wet Wednesday Series. These high-end monohulls (Peligroso, Locomotion, etc) and their expert crews dish out punishment on the race course almost as much as the SA regulars do here in this forum. A race start sequence with these professionals is like asking for a beating!

Bottom line, I could really use an advantage, and I believe stronger, lighter, high-tech rigging would provide just such an advantage!

Posted Image

John Papa, R33 #11

#12 RobLyman

RobLyman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:RC-27 Catamaran

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:07 PM

Why Daddio?

Every ounce counts. We are currently running rod rigging for diamonds and shrouds with titanium chainplates on Daddio, our 27.5' x 16' RC-27 catamaran. Daddio has an all up weight of 950 lbs. Any weight savings, particularly up high, will make a difference. I would like to see the shrouds, diamonds and trapezes replaced with Powerlite PBO. The covering is nice, since it protects against UV and fraying, something the synthetic stays on my A Class suffer from. Our current rod rigging is a pain to coil and transport. I see a 2' diameter coil much easier to handle than the current 3' diameter we deal with. Additionally, any reduction in diameter would pay off quite a bit, considering the apparent wind we sail in.

We are in the process of of adding a masthead spinnaker and reacher to the boat. Again, Powerlite PBO would be great for the additional masthead shrouds and possibly the new spinnaker pole dolphin striker lines. A Powerlite PBO rig would be just the ticket to keep us on top and complement our new upgrades this year.

We don't have a lot of money. I recently took on a partner to make the upgrades to our 1988 vintage boat possible. We showed them that the boat is still a contender at the Mug Race and want to keep improving the boat.

#13 pete

pete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:25 PM

Attached File  Pete.jpg   147.35K   251 downloadsI think this guy could use some

I could definetly use some, although that was a result of a pair of Harken block blow-outs.
So, why do I deserve a set for free? Cause I have been trying to get a price for a set since first of Feb. So, since they can't give me a price, that would allow me me to buy a set, they should just give me a set. I have tried everything else, maybe this will do.

#14 sirstopher

sirstopher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 08:55 PM

It all started with my father, Mike a 3 time North American Mini Ton Champ, and winner of the Mini Ton Worlds in 1980. I was 7 at the time, and like all sons they want to grow up like their father. My father had been Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 1974, he was looking to add his name in the record books to accomplish something worth while, and sailing was the ticket.

I have grown up around sailing all of my life, never on a boat, always in the background hearing the stories. In 1995 my father was now a quadriplegic, his sailing days were just memories, and he lived a life of watching sailing on the T.V. His crew stayed very close to him over the years and always came to town to say hello.

In 2003 I really wanted to buy a sail boat, I got on the internet and started my local search for something I could afford. My wife and I found a boat that was listed on E-bay and drove up to have a look, the owner of the boat was very nice, and took us out for a sail. There was no wind, and the boat was a buccaneer something. The add stated all of these new upgrades to the boat, but all we saw was a do-it-yourself project gone wrong. We were driving back from the lake and I thought of another marina that had a sailing club that I remembered my father talking about.

We got lucky as the gate was open and drove in. There were a row of boats up for sale, the one that caught my eye was a Santana 20, but my wife wouldn't even get out of the car "Its too small" she told me out the window. Back in the car and down to the dock where we were stopped by the superintendent. He wanted to know why we were there, and how we got in the gate. I told him that we were looking for a used sailboat, and he told us that there was a used boat for sale by a charity event that they hold every year. He took me out to the boat sitting on a mooring, and told me to board her and take a look around.

The boat was a San Jaun 24, it had been sitting in the water some time, and the interior was black with mold. I was amazed with the boat, It reminded me of the days of the type of boat my father raced with the sloped transom. The boat was for sale for the amount of $1800.00. It was also owned by the Multiple Sclerosis non profit organization. At this point I knew that I had found our new boat. It didn't matter what kind of shape she was in, I will fix her up and tell my father wonderful stories about what I doing to keep his mind busy.

I told my dad about the boat right away, and by chance he remembered the boat. A year went by and dads condition was getting worse, My wife and I had been out many times on the SJ24, we had fallen in love with the boat, and my wife and I joined the sailing club, and started to race with another group of people to become more knowable about sailing and racing.

In 2004 we were now up at the lake every other weekend racing, And the sailing club holds this Regatta every year for the Multiple Sclerosis Society. Right away my wife got involved with helping out the M.S. Regatta. We raced in the regatta for the first time and got 3rd place in our class. It was great going over to my parents and telling my dad the stories of racing the boat. He would light up with joy, and give me advice on getting to the line first, and protecting our lead.

2005 came around and dads condition was getting worse, we had gotten rid of the San Juan 24 and purchased a Catalina Capri 25. The boat had been damaged on Port tack, and I got a deal on the boat I couldn't refuse. I fixed the 14" crack in the deck and fixed the hull to deck joint that had been crushed, I sanded the boat, and repainted her back red. This took me 12 8 hr. days over the course of 6 months, I was getting the boat ready for the 2005 M.S. regatta. It was going to be our first year racing our own boat, I was very excited about seeing my dad out on the lake and watching us sail the boat as he did the year before.

I was a week away from launching the boat last year when my father passed away the 1st of July. He had a long battle with M.S. and I was glad to provide him with the first hand stories of working on the boat, and getting her ready to race. I really was sad to see him go. I was really working hard to get the boat put back together for him to tell me where I could make improvements.

We took a road trip down to Corpus Cristy on August 30th 2005, my fathers birthday, and spread my fathers ashes over the side of a boat. One of the crew members of Mr. Bills dog lived in the area, and provided us with a great time. Another close friend of my dads was the one who took us out to sea in the gulf. Dads rules were that it had to be blue water. I don't know if the Gulf ever gets that really dark glowing blue like he was talking about, but it was a wonderful site to finally set him free of this debilitating disease.

10 days later I asked my oldest brother to helm our Capri 25 in the M.S. Regatta Sept. 10th in memory of my father. We sailed a good race, and it was blowing really hard out that day. It seemed that we were always in last place, but we finished second in our fleet. It was a great time, the boat won the "Best boat Award" and my wife won the "Spirit of the Regatta Trophy" for the volunteer work she had done.

So you ask why I need new PBO Rigging? I have patched, glassed, sanded, premiered, painted, polished, tuned, bought, and practiced on this little Capri 25 for the last year. She is finally ready for this coming up 2006 M.S. Regatta. I have done all the work on our boat by myself, and I have been pinching penney's all the way. I got used sails, old rigging, and I want some thing fast on the boat that I will know will be fast and light weight. I cant' promise a first place this year, but I will try and do my very best.

Thanks Dad
Christian S. McKillip

Posted Image Posted Image

#15 walterbshaffer

walterbshaffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:28 PM

Because I can get you an overnight date with her.

It's still like I said. Anybody who gets the rigging will just sell thier boat, make a nice profit and buy another. On the other hand, memories last forever...

#16 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,488 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:03 PM

I need some of that hot shit because I traded my food stamps for drugs.

#17 Problem Child

Problem Child

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:45 PM

Attached File  pic3small.jpg   118.54K   70 downloads

In 1992 I completed my dream of designing and building my own boat. It was a first effort at both design and construction. Built under a temporary structure and poly tarp in my back yard, it is constucted of Baltek Durakore with E glass and West System skins.

Always on a budget, I do all the Awlgrip and Baltoplate spraying myself. All rigging and splicing is done in-house, electrical and mechanical too. Though I'm not much of a mechanic... :P Crew help out as needed for the constant maintenance a successful program requires.

I modify the boat almost every year learning what works and what doesn't. There is always room for improvement and we look for those possibilities. A lot of hard work has resulted in five High Point championships in the last eight seasons.

Although the boat is for sale and is listed in the SA classifieds, I feel the West Marine Powerlite PBO rigging would be the next logical step in performance and would add resale value to the boat. I still can't afford a new carbon stick! I'd like to use the rigging on my next project (seen on my website) but I have to sell "Problem Child" first to finance it. Hopefully that happens soon 'cause I got the itch to build another. Maybe a new set of Powerlite PBO might help make that happen.

Thanks...

Attached File  temp.jpg   122.96K   143 downloads

#18 soling2003

soling2003

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:43 AM

buchhla.....
What bananas? I thought that they were bad luck on boats! Obviously they didn't give you enough bad luck though. Maybe without your huge chute, we may be able to keep up this year. But unfortunatly our "Top of the morning to you" guy will be overseas for Uncle Sam.

#19 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:50 PM

On the "Gone Troppo" while not my boat as i just skipper and organise crew for the owner, we race the old girl with an alloy mast against all the carbon jobs and while still consistantly beating them, the pricks are getting closer and getting the rig weight down closer to only double of the carbon jobs, would be great. The owner would love a bit of money spent on it, not just hers.

Attached Files

#20 peejay

peejay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:10 PM

Dear West Marine

If I don't win this prize (which I really need) I will never shop at your stores again (which I actually do as often as possible, probably unlike most of the other guys?)

Thanks and best regards

#21 jdougherty

jdougherty

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:23 PM

I could definetly use some, although that was a result of a pair of Harken block blow-outs.
So, why do I deserve a set for free? Cause I have been trying to get a price for a set since first of Feb. So, since they can't give me a price, that would allow me me to buy a set, they should just give me a set. I have tried everything else, maybe this will do.

we got a winner!

s.

Agree.

#22 DRDNA

DRDNA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:32 PM

I deserve to win for 2 basic reasons:
1- i'm a public school teacher trying to afford to race competetively in my Olson 30
2- i'm a friend of Gary and Deke and have dirt on the editor from his formative years. :-)

#23 boatschit

boatschit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 05:28 PM

... I know that I asked already but nobody answered, so does anyone know if there is a PHRF rating hit and if so what's the call?

I'm thinking that if you're taking 60 or 100 pounds off the rigging there has to be some PHRF penalty hit...

I'm also thinking that if you're the only one with the stuff in your one design fleet, people will raise an eyebrow...

Are there any Powerlite Rigging experts or PHRF experts on this board that care to share their answers?...

#24 Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:28 PM

Since PBO rigging is too new to have been 'observed' much, most phrf boards will not have a standard number picked out yet. Also, asking "What's the phrf hit" is futile because if will be different in each region. Lastly, there's no reason why you would get hit for this rigging unless suddenly your boat started going much faster (at least 3 sec/mile). Did you get hit for switching from wire halyards to rope? No.

PS 60-100 pounds? What the hell kind of boats are you sailing, boatschit? Are you replacing galvanized wire?

#25 Rode Warrior

Rode Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:05 PM

We could use this rigging more then anyone bc we race a Mega 30 at 138 phrf. :)

We are the Willy Lowman of lake sailing. We lose, and we keep going sailing. We get ridiculed but we keep sailing. We break stuff but we keep sailing. We give time to boats that can beat us scratch without breaking a sweat but we keep sailing. Why? because we love sailing, and we love racing, and we have FUN and we can't afford to do it in a boat people think is cool that will fit all the people we think are cool in it.

#26 pete

pete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:14 PM

we got a winner!

s.

Agree.

Really need the rigging now, picking up mast in the AM. Still no word from West Marine, I would buy it but they won't sell it to me. Winning the contest appears to be the only way I can can get it.

#27 celphtaught

celphtaught

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:the great blue yonder. and random bits of string

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:08 AM

why should i get free rigging?
I am currently rehabilitating an old j29, scarred by not one, but 2 (possiblty 3, we havent figured that out yet) lightning strikes. My friend and I put all of our free time into this boat, rain or shine, as it is in need of a little TLC. We need new rigging for this boat because it would be the only thing we havent rebuilt yet, and I dont really trust a rig that has been struck 3 times by lightning (superstitious, yes). Both of us work at our local yacht club teaching kids how to sail, and the plan was for this boat to become part of the program, showing them the other side of sailing, getting them out of dinghys into big boats. In addition to teaching at the club, I also am on the board of directors for our community sailing center, and volunteer my time fixing it up. The CSC is currently located in an old electric plant, which is not only broken down, but a health hazard.
I think I deserve this rigging for all the volunteer hours I have put in to provide the joy of sailing to more people out in our community, and a current lack of funds required to retrofit this boat. Not only will getting this rigging provide more time for me to help others discover sailing, but the rigging itself will contribute to our great sport by providing a competitive boat for kids who wouldnt usually get the opportunity to enjoy sailing.

thanks

#28 sailfast28590

sailfast28590

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:23 AM

we got a winner!

s.

Agree.

Really need the rigging now, picking up mast in the AM. Still no word from West Marine, I would buy it but they won't sell it to me. Winning the contest appears to be the only way I can can get it.

You are a real classy guy ( all the world was bitching about the melges being a cheater boat in your class at key west, you wrote a quality article about how well sailed they were) You are a real class and deserve it.

and also loosing 2 mast is 4 years must have been a real bitch

#29 doubleexpresso

doubleexpresso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:26 AM

My Viper 830 could benefit from some new POWERLITE PBO standing rigging. We are currently #1 in the Berger Series out of MDR. http://www.dryc.org/. The boat is in great shape but POWERLITE could be a huge advantage

Attached Files

#30 tweaker

tweaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:20 AM

Why do I deserve the free Powerlite PBO rigging from West Marine? Because even 4-knot shit boxes deserve love and I love my boat. I learned to sail and race keelboats on our Catalina 30. My Dad bought her new in 1986 and passed her on to my brother and I in 1998. The skills and tools I have learned flogging that boat around the courses have served me well.

What skills and tools can you learn from sailing sloooow boats you ask? Many.

#1.You better have good boat prep, have a fast and smooth bottom, get the weight off the boat and out of the rig, have good sails and a folding/ feather prop, Etc. Rig the boat to make sail handling faster and easier.

#2. You learn tactics, like getting good starts. If you are the slow boat in your fleet and get a bad start you can never recover. You learn local knowledge, like where there is better wind pressure, lifts and current advantages in certain spots on the courses you race on. You also learn how to avoid the holes, find lanes of clear wind and when and were to make your tacks and jibes to stay ahead especially in mixes fleets.

#3. Yes you can develop a good feel for the helm even if it is a wheel by being super sensitive to what little feed back you get. I think learning to helm on a Catalina 30 made me a good helmsman. Those skills easily transferred to all the other boats I have raced on including tiller boats.

#4. You learn how to trim sails and a key, which I think many sailors fail to get, is to sail the proper angle of heel for the wind conditions you are in. When the wind is constantly changing having the main trimmer respond by easing the sheet/traveler in the gusts and bringing them in in the lulls to maintain that fast heel is key.

You might ask how can you have fun sailing a 4-knot shit box? That is an easy question to answer. You race other 4-knot shit boxes. At one time here in San Diego we had over 40 Catalina 30’s in Fleet 13. Out of those 40 @ 15 regularly raced. This was almost OD racing, but more like level 30 racing. I spent years learning how to beat the top guys in the fleet. The top guys all knew the things listed above that took me a while to learn. They mostly shared what they knew, but not all if it. They had their dirty little secrets (like cut down spreaders, shaved keels, oversize sails/pole, etc.) They always looked for some advantage over each other no mater how small. Kind of like the J 105’s with the hull and keel fairing controversy. I especially like the different bow profile bit. Of course the boats with the newest bottom and sails and best sailors were always at the top of the fleet.

This brings me back to the point of this diatribe. Why I need the FREE Powerlite PBO rigging from West Marine. While my skills have improved and I have moved on to race sexier, faster and bigger boats leaving my poor Catalina 30 wasting away in her slip. Those skills have let me race in 3 Transpacs with a 4th one coming up, a SD-Puerto Vallarta race and 16 Newport-Ensenada races and 13 SD- Ensenada races among others. I have gotten to race on some very cool boats: an Olson 40, Choate 40, C&C 37+, J-35 &105, Henderson 30, the new Columbia 30 and of course my C-30. I still love my Catalina 30. Fat girls need love too and my fat girl could use some love in the form of new Powerlite PBO rigging from West Marine. I have a new partner now and we are fixing her up to kick some ass on some of our C-30 buddies. We are going to “DC” her and try to smoke the local fleet. Notice I said, “try and smoke the fleet” we are not DC but we can prep our boat like he does. We already are putting on a new bottom with new sails to come.

Check it out! West Marine you would be a fool NOT to give it to us. New Powerlite PBO rigging from West Marine will start an arms race among the local C-30 fleet that could spread like cancer to the more than 7000 Catalina 30’s world wide. I have 5 C-30 buddies in SD alone that will have to buy it in order to beat our now 4.1 knot shit box. Not to mention all the PHRF wankers in the local Beer can fleet who will now be whining about our rating. All the 4-knot shit boxes will want it. Plus I still have pull in the International Catalina 30 Association as a past commodore and we can put a plug up on the web site.

All of you losers give it up. “ I am poor firefighter”, “ My mast fell down waaaa” (yeah right! It fell down twice you want to give it to him he will make you look good, not!), “I have to have a partner, because my wife spends all of our money on Bon Bons while sitting on the couch watching TV so I don’t have any money to spend on my high tech racer, poor me”. The sympathy card: Sirstopher that is a great personal story. Please accept my deepest sympathy for the loss of your Dad from MS. My sister also has MS and is now almost totally wheel chair bound. Keep up the good work for MS. If I don’t win I want you to win. That way at least another 4-knot shit box will get it.

I have pictures too. Here is one of us on the way to a first in class in the SD- Ensenada race a couple of years ago. You can see us pointing at something, we just saw a Mac 26 go by in the forth mode. HWMNBN was that you?
Attached File  sd_ensenada_5.JPG   46.11K   63 downloads

Boatpixs took this shot. No I didn’t have any trouble with him. I bought it direct from him right at the race HQ. He did have problems with me with from an earlier photo that took me 10 months to send in the payment for. He was cool about it. Maybe I was the one who made him start using collection agency tactics to get his money. Fricken flaky sailors! They are always scanning, copying and using the photos with out payment and authorization. O yeah! Boatpixs is it ok if I use this scanned copy to plug you on SA? Tia.

I have saved the best for last. The ED is right his contests ARE rigged. ED you owe me. I should sue you for breech of contract. Yes the L card. You are an “Indian Giver”. You have screwed me out of the prize you promised me in a Caption Contest (SAers do a search). I won 3rd place for a T-shirt and you never it gave it to me despite repeated attempts on my part to collect it. I think you were pissed at me for yanking your chain with some of my captions and you wanted to yank mine some back. Either that or you are pretty f**king lame after receiving at least 6 emails with my info on where to send it and me also waiting at SDYC to pick it up. Pretty funny. So which is it, yanking my chain or Pretty F**king Lame? If it was yanking my chain we are even. If you are a man of your word PAY UP. I’ll send you my info on where to mail it, or come and pick it up. NOT!

PAY UP! Or I’ll sue if any SA lawyer wants to represent me. Any takers? I have plenty of evidence. No takers. Why? Don’t you want to be the next POD on SA with me? We can get banned for life together. That would be like locking the inmates out of the insane asylum. How would I get my fix? I would miss vancoal trolling the FT-10 forum and all the other anarchy. I love this place. Where would I go? I can’t sue you.

The R&D card. Yes you have to give me the New Powerlite PBO rigging from West Marine. Why? Because now that I have outed and degraded myself and my reputation on SA by admitting that I actually own and race a 4 knot shit box. I will never get another ride on a fast and sexy boat. I will be forced to go back to my first love the old fat girl. She still needs love too and you never forget your first love. She still has the original rigging and this PBO stuff would be like a boob job. Reinvigorating.

After I win the NEW Powerlite PBO rigging from West Marine if any of you losers come to San Diego I will let one of my partners take you out for a sail. Yes, she does show her tits. And I have pics.
Attached File  on_fire.jpg   41.23K   134 downloads

All of you SA armchair sailors who don’t have a boat get a 4- knot shit box and learn to sail. Waaa! I can’t afford a boat. Yeah right! There are only 5,000 Catalina 30’s for sale from $10,000 – $25,000. Get partners and buy one.

All of you losers bring it on! Or go home.

Tweaker Standing by on channel six niner.

#31 wraith

wraith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:25 AM

All the above entries are no doubt very worthy - but I've got a greater need.

As the owner of a Schock 40 the reduction in weight aloft and increase in stability is more important to me than anyone else.

#32 pete

pete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:38 AM

Why do I deserve the free Powerlite PBO rigging from West Marine? Because even 4-knot shit boxes deserve love and I love my boat. I learned to sail and race keelboats on our Catalina 30. My Dad bought her new in 1986 and passed her on to my brother and I in 1998. The skills and tools I have learned flogging that boat around the courses have served me well.

What skills and tools can you learn from sailing sloooow boats you ask? Many.

#1.You better have good boat prep, have a fast and smooth bottom, get the weight off the boat and out of the rig, have good sails and a folding/ feather prop, Etc. Rig the boat to make sail handling faster and easier.

#2. You learn tactics, like getting good starts. If you are the slow boat in your fleet and get a bad start you can never recover. You learn local knowledge, like where there is better wind pressure, lifts and current advantages in certain spots on the courses you race on. You also learn how to avoid the holes, find lanes of clear wind and when and were to make your tacks and jibes to stay ahead especially in mixes fleets.

#3. Yes you can develop a good feel for the helm even if it is a wheel by being super sensitive to what little feed back you get. I think learning to helm on a Catalina 30 made me a good helmsman. Those skills easily transferred to all the other boats I have raced on including tiller boats.

#4. You learn how to trim sails and a key, which I think many sailors fail to get, is to sail the proper angle of heel for the wind conditions you are in. When the wind is constantly changing having the main trimmer respond by easing the sheet/traveler in the gusts and bringing them in in the lulls to maintain that fast heel is key.

You might ask how can you have fun sailing a 4-knot shit box? That is an easy question to answer. You race other 4-knot shit boxes. At one time here in San Diego we had over 40 Catalina 30’s in Fleet 13. Out of those 40 @ 15 regularly raced. This was almost OD racing, but more like level 30 racing. I spent years learning how to beat the top guys in the fleet. The top guys all knew the things listed above that took me a while to learn. They mostly shared what they knew, but not all if it. They had their dirty little secrets (like cut down spreaders, shaved keels, oversize sails/pole, etc.) They always looked for some advantage over each other no mater how small. Kind of like the J 105’s with the hull and keel fairing controversy. I especially like the different bow profile bit. Of course the boats with the newest bottom and sails and best sailors were always at the top of the fleet.

This brings me back to the point of this diatribe. Why I need the FREE Powerlite PBO rigging from West Marine. While my skills have improved and I have moved on to race sexier, faster and bigger boats leaving my poor Catalina 30 wasting away in her slip. Those skills have let me race in 3 Transpacs with a 4th one coming up, a SD-Puerto Vallarta race and 16 Newport-Ensenada races and 13 SD- Ensenada races among others. I have gotten to race on some very cool boats: an Olson 40, Choate 40, C&C 37+, J-35 &105, Henderson 30, the new Columbia 30 and of course my C-30. I still love my Catalina 30. Fat girls need love too and my fat girl could use some love in the form of new Powerlite PBO rigging from West Marine. I have a new partner now and we are fixing her up to kick some ass on some of our C-30 buddies. We are going to “DC” her and try to smoke the local fleet. Notice I said, “try and smoke the fleet” we are not DC but we can prep our boat like he does. We already are putting on a new bottom with new sails to come.

Check it out! West Marine you would be a fool NOT to give it to us. New Powerlite PBO rigging from West Marine will start an arms race among the local C-30 fleet that could spread like cancer to the more than 7000 Catalina 30’s world wide. I have 5 C-30 buddies in SD alone that will have to buy it in order to beat our now 4.1 knot shit box. Not to mention all the PHRF wankers in the local Beer can fleet who will now be whining about our rating. All the 4-knot shit boxes will want it. Plus I still have pull in the International Catalina 30 Association as a past commodore and we can put a plug up on the web site.

All of you losers give it up. “ I am poor firefighter”, “ My mast fell down waaaa” (yeah right! It fell down twice you want to give it to him he will make you look good, not!), “I have to have a partner, because my wife spends all of our money on Bon Bons while sitting on the couch watching TV so I don’t have any money to spend on my high tech racer, poor me”. The sympathy card: Sirstopher that is a great personal story. Please accept my deepest sympathy for the loss of your Dad from MS. My sister also has MS and is now almost totally wheel chair bound. Keep up the good work for MS. If I don’t win I want you to win. That way at least another 4-knot shit box will get it.

I have pictures too. Here is one of us on the way to a first in class in the SD- Ensenada race a couple of years ago. You can see us pointing at something, we just saw a Mac 26 go by in the forth mode. HWMNBN was that you?
Attached File  sd_ensenada_5.JPG   46.11K   63 downloads

Boatpixs took this shot. No I didn’t have any trouble with him. I bought it direct from him right at the race HQ. He did have problems with me with from an earlier photo that took me 10 months to send in the payment for. He was cool about it. Maybe I was the one who made him start using collection agency tactics to get his money. Fricken flaky sailors! They are always scanning, copying and using the photos with out payment and authorization. O yeah! Boatpixs is it ok if I use this scanned copy to plug you on SA? Tia.

I have saved the best for last. The ED is right his contests ARE rigged. ED you owe me. I should sue you for breech of contract. Yes the L card. You are an “Indian Giver”. You have screwed me out of the prize you promised me in a Caption Contest (SAers do a search). I won 3rd place for a T-shirt and you never it gave it to me despite repeated attempts on my part to collect it. I think you were pissed at me for yanking your chain with some of my captions and you wanted to yank mine some back. Either that or you are pretty f**king lame after receiving at least 6 emails with my info on where to send it and me also waiting at SDYC to pick it up. Pretty funny. So which is it, yanking my chain or Pretty F**king Lame? If it was yanking my chain we are even. If you are a man of your word PAY UP. I’ll send you my info on where to mail it, or come and pick it up. NOT!

PAY UP! Or I’ll sue if any SA lawyer wants to represent me. Any takers? I have plenty of evidence. No takers. Why? Don’t you want to be the next POD on SA with me? We can get banned for life together. That would be like locking the inmates out of the insane asylum. How would I get my fix? I would miss vancoal trolling the FT-10 forum and all the other anarchy. I love this place. Where would I go? I can’t sue you.

The R&D card. Yes you have to give me the New Powerlite PBO rigging from West Marine. Why? Because now that I have outed and degraded myself and my reputation on SA by admitting that I actually own and race a 4 knot shit box. I will never get another ride on a fast and sexy boat. I will be forced to go back to my first love the old fat girl. She still needs love too and you never forget your first love. She still has the original rigging and this PBO stuff would be like a boob job. Reinvigorating.

After I win the NEW Powerlite PBO rigging from West Marine if any of you losers come to San Diego I will let one of my partners take you out for a sail. Yes, she does show her tits. And I have pics.
Attached File  on_fire.jpg   41.23K   134 downloads

All of you SA armchair sailors who don’t have a boat get a 4- knot shit box and learn to sail. Waaa! I can’t afford a boat. Yeah right! There are only 5,000 Catalina 30’s for sale from $10,000 – $25,000. Get partners and buy one.

All of you losers bring it on! Or go home.

Tweaker Standing by on channel six niner.

Even I was feeling bqad for him, gonna give it up to him if I won , but then the he had to go an lie. That is not his partner, that's his wife that is supposedly sitting around eating Bon-Bon's. We should all have it so tough

#33 schafseckel

schafseckel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:34 AM

I should get it for 2 reasons:
- my boat is small, so it does not cost them much, if they choose me.
- I am the only one in my class in europe, sailing an us-built boat, and therefore they call me crazy.
with that west marine stuff I could confirm my reputation.

#34 grimreaper

grimreaper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:43 AM

My Bene would really benefit from the light rigging, as we usually sail shorthanded, with my 10 yr old steering while I do foredeck, then maybe they would let me off the rail to try steering my boat sometime, plus it probably wouldn't tear up my new #1 as quick, as I have been racing with hand me down soveral 33 #1's all these years.

#35 swestervelt

swestervelt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:34 PM

I race with pete up here in NC, I had heard about the rig failure, but i hadn't seen it. Damn that looked ugly, so time for stick number three?

#36 The Winner

The Winner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:38 PM

we got a winner!

s.

Agree.

Oh no now someone had to go and bring tits into the game. Those are gonna need some PBO to hold em up in a couple of years

#37 redboat

redboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,278 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:32 PM

So, everyone now loves West Marine. Everyone's favorite marine retailer. All is forgiven.

#38 walterbshaffer

walterbshaffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:16 PM

She's wating to hear.....keep thinking about it....

#39 k1qar

k1qar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:52 PM

Arrrgh

Hey, cap'n Bastard, hope you enjoy de good ship Banzai. Bring 'um to BI sometime.

Yup, da guy whut lost his Hobie 33 mast mebbe mo' deserving, no? Das' me.

De Hobie Topaz be one fast boat, wit' de sprit an' code zero be catchin' da Quest 32, gain 11 mile in 12 hour, wen da foolish tang broke an' put de rig inna' drink. Awe!

Now if'n dis PBO been on 'er, it be bettah fo' de hardware, it save de tang an' da rig.

An' dat's not all. De less weight PBO up dere be bigger help dan for most, for dis narrow Hobie is way tender. An de new mast is de light 2 spreader kine, but it pau da money tree.

So, West Marine, you kanakas geev' Topaz da kine, an' she put de hurt on dat Quest fo' sure.

Aloha

Someone is probably more deserving yet I'll cast my lot in...

I need the rigging as I bought my Olson 30 from SH/DH sailor and fellow anarchist who had his ride (Hobie 33) dismasted on the DH leg back from Bermuda last year. Knowing the vintage on most of the critical items on board with the exception of the rod rigging makes the rigging a great candidate for replacement.

I have not used the boat much in the last year as I have a new son (now 13 months old) born with no right ventricle in his heart. He is doing great now but it is time to take the family weekending and new rigging would be an awesome plus. I have, on accasion, looked askance at the rig while sailing in a blow wondering if I would be able to cut the rig away if need be.

Thanks,
[/quote]

#40 EVK4

EVK4

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:06 PM

I'm not a very good sailor and my boat sucks too. I blame this on the standing rigging but that's not why I should win the Free POWERLITE PBO standing rigging.

After my initial insurance survey, my insurance company told me that I needed the rigging inspected at the masthead despite the fact that they had failed to list this in the requirements. I said "hell no, I just spent hundreds of dollars on a survey and you want me to spend hundreds more due to your incompetence?" They relented when they realized that I was angry.

Now, every time I go out sailing, I'm convinced that my freakin' mast is going to fall down. I live in fear, constant fear. It's like a real-life Edgar Allan Poe story, I'm sailing along in 20+ upwind not hearing the sounds of sailing but my rigging's heartbeat as it contemplates its last breath. Sailing with this rigging is a living hell. Please help a fellow sailor get back on the water.

#41 MoMP

MoMP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:44 PM

my boat is 23 feet long, 18 feet wide and weighs 1000 lbs. it was built in production in 1978. when i was choosing a boat to buy i ended up searching only for this one boat, a tremolino trimaran.

in order to find one i built a website for tremolino owners. the email list grew by several hundred members since i started the website - i have the list subscription form right on the front page. in 5 years i got 44K hits on the site and it is the first google result for this boat and really the only source of information about it. the site has source page with huge amount of detailed info about the boat, owners' pages, history pages and stories about people sailing their tremolinos from florida to bahamas and around long island. it also has classifieds for small trimarans. it also has a page for my boat where i keep photo record of my projects on the boat. after i got the website going someone contacted me and he had a boat to sell right in my vicinity. so i got it.

since i bought the boat i put it on a 5 year plan. i slowly removed a lot of metal from it and replaced it with modern rigging like spectra, kevlar and vectran. i replaced the mast with another rig 3 feet taller. the halyards are 3:1 vectran or spectra to controll compression. my forestay connects to the deck by a 1/4 spectra bridle. this used to be 3/16 steel wires with thimbles. my 4 foot carbon bowsprit with spectra sidestays and waterstays weighs 1 lbs 11 oz for everything. this used to be a 1/4 bow bracket, plus 1.5" alu tube, plus wire stays and 3:1 purchase blocks on the waterstays. just this year, with suggestions from this forum, i rebuilt the rudder bracket where i replaced 1/4" alu plates with G10. each plate is now lighter by 1 lbs 4 oz. i also rebuilt 7 foot long tiller which was an aluminum box section, now it is a carbon tube. much lighter. instead of steel wires controlling the kickup rudder i now have spectra as well.

all of the materials for this boat's projects were purchased from SA sponsors even before they were sponsors. our own minister of multihull propaganda considers my boat his next boat purchase, which i support as the price of the boat inevitably climbs up in reverse relationship to the weight of the boat as each piece of metal is being methodically removed and replaced by synthetic materials. "faster sailing through chemistry" is my boat restoration motto. momp held the gps in his hand when we were surfing at 17 knots in boston harbor. he also failed to beat my boat's speed record with his own trimaran over a 15 mile triangular make-a-wish course which is normally sailed in august as a fundraiser for the charity. momp's little baby boy is growing quickly and it would be a shame if he ended up learning to sail on a boat, or worse yet, raced on this boat in a future make-a-wish regatta, with those horrible heavy steel shrouds, being minister's son and all. imagine if he cut his finger on a wire randomly sticking from the shroud. minister would be in big trouble then.

the boat is now burdened by its steel shrouds. so much that i can sense how it sits lower in the water, just because of them. of course it contributes to hobby horsing especially considering the heavy shackles that connect the shrouds to the mast. these will be replaced by lashing for the synthetic shrouds. i considered the precourts but i think they add a lot of windage. plus i'd have to build the protection jacket for the shrouds. the pbo will be suitable not only because of the weight but also because it will not wear the rotating rig. the capshrouds for the rig are short and simple and there are no spreaders, so your material outlay will be minimal but my gain will be maximum, as well as will be your exposure since this project will go on record on my site (as well as here). but don't do it for me - do it for momp's son.

Posted Image

s.

Yes and Mini-MoMP thanks you in advance...

#42 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:49 PM

Why do I deserve to win the new PBO rigging? Don’t know. Why does anybody? We sail an old Capri 22 in PHRF. The rating probably isn’t as bad as we are. We actually finished the Spring Series with three lasts, one DNF and two DNS. Impressive, isn’t it? We know we are better than this, but we are struggling to “find” it again, whatever it is. The four of us are all fifty-something and have been sailing since we were little, but did take from 10 to 16 years off from sailing until just over a year ago. OK, so that’s not exactly true. Gloria never sailed a day in her life until we got this boat, but it is true for the rest of us.

We decided to try racing again this year. If you have a list of everything you needed to be good at to win a sailboat race and say there were one hundred items on that list, then we have probably put a check mark by about 50 of them. Some of those items got double checked. For instance, we went from fairly new Dacron sails to new Pentax sails and had to figure out how to tune the rig, trim the sails and generally “shift gears” all over again.

In our pasts, there have been successes in racing. For me personally, I was lucky enough to be crew for a few very good skippers and got to share the joys of winning. Now, I am hoping to do that again, but by running my own boat. Our own boat, for it as much the crews boat as it is mine. After all, any win will be a direct result of the crew as much as anything I may do.

We will be practicing a lot over this Summer with dreams of a bullet sometime in the fall. We’ll see. In the meantime, a new boat is being designed and will see the water sometime early next year. The design’s goal is one of recycling as much as anything. It has been designed around the existing rig and hardware off our little Capri. Giving the heart and soul of our poor little water logged boat new life.

Do I or we deserve to win the PBO? Still don’t know. All I can say is that it would be on a boat that is enjoyed. The little Capri is the most used boat at our marina and is sailed at least twice, often three times a week. We seriously practice some, but mostly we just enjoy. We are no longer fifty-something on the boat. We are sailors.

#43 MoMP

MoMP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:58 PM

my boat is 23 feet long, 18 feet wide and weighs 1000 lbs. it was built in production in 1978. when i was choosing a boat to buy i ended up searching only for this one boat, a tremolino trimaran.

in order to find one i built a website for tremolino owners. the email list grew by several hundred members since i started the website - i have the list subscription form right on the front page. in 5 years i got 44K hits on the site and it is the first google result for this boat and really the only source of information about it. the site has source page with huge amount of detailed info about the boat, owners' pages, history pages and stories about people sailing their tremolinos from florida to bahamas and around long island. it also has classifieds for small trimarans. it also has a page for my boat where i keep photo record of my projects on the boat. after i got the website going someone contacted me and he had a boat to sell right in my vicinity. so i got it.

since i bought the boat i put it on a 5 year plan. i slowly removed a lot of metal from it and replaced it with modern rigging like spectra, kevlar and vectran. i replaced the mast with another rig 3 feet taller. the halyards are 3:1 vectran or spectra to controll compression. my forestay connects to the deck by a 1/4 spectra bridle. this used to be 3/16 steel wires with thimbles. my 4 foot carbon bowsprit with spectra sidestays and waterstays weighs 1 lbs 11 oz for everything. this used to be a 1/4 bow bracket, plus 1.5" alu tube, plus wire stays and 3:1 purchase blocks on the waterstays. just this year, with suggestions from this forum, i rebuilt the rudder bracket where i replaced 1/4" alu plates with G10. each plate is now lighter by 1 lbs 4 oz. i also rebuilt 7 foot long tiller which was an aluminum box section, now it is a carbon tube. much lighter. instead of steel wires controlling the kickup rudder i now have spectra as well.

all of the materials for this boat's projects were purchased from SA sponsors even before they were sponsors. our own minister of multihull propaganda considers my boat his next boat purchase, which i support as the price of the boat inevitably climbs up in reverse relationship to the weight of the boat as each piece of metal is being methodically removed and replaced by synthetic materials. "faster sailing through chemistry" is my boat restoration motto. momp held the gps in his hand when we were surfing at 17 knots in boston harbor. he also failed to beat my boat's speed record with his own trimaran over a 15 mile triangular make-a-wish course which is normally sailed in august as a fundraiser for the charity. momp's little baby boy is growing quickly and it would be a shame if he ended up learning to sail on a boat, or worse yet, raced on this boat in a future make-a-wish regatta, with those horrible heavy steel shrouds, being minister's son and all. imagine if he cut his finger on a wire randomly sticking from the shroud. minister would be in big trouble then.

the boat is now burdened by its steel shrouds. so much that i can sense how it sits lower in the water, just because of them. of course it contributes to hobby horsing especially considering the heavy shackles that connect the shrouds to the mast. these will be replaced by lashing for the synthetic shrouds. i considered the precourts but i think they add a lot of windage. plus i'd have to build the protection jacket for the shrouds. the pbo will be suitable not only because of the weight but also because it will not wear the rotating rig. the capshrouds for the rig are short and simple and there are no spreaders, so your material outlay will be minimal but my gain will be maximum, as well as will be your exposure since this project will go on record on my site (as well as here). but don't do it for me - do it for momp's son.

Posted Image

s.

Yes and Mini-MoMP thanks you in advance...

Actually, forget that. Just send it to MoMP and I'll use it to choke Solo at the time of negotiating a price. This way you know it'll get used, first on the boat, but also to strangle Solo! If that doesn't motivate you I'll throw in a promise to pass it on after it's useful rigging life to Lesbian Robot to add to his Water heater dungeon collection.

So you see..... The value will be most recognized with me.

#44 unlurking1

unlurking1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:48 PM

I have a columbia 22. For those of you who don't know, Columbia invented sailing.

Our particular fleet does allow modifications to boat and rigging.

Already some captains in our fleet are using melges jibs
and, large roach mains. Out board wells are missing or filled.

I need to replace the standing rigging and, add two separate running backstays.

PBO is pperfect for my
(intended) full batten square top main and carbon fiber mast
retrofit. I intend also to have a CF bowsprit with a code
zero. It will flip up so I don't have to pay huge slip fees.

Once I have the PBO rigging installed this
will cause our fleet to scramble to get this same rigging package for themselves -
help me stay ahead of the fleet, please and also make money with this project.

win-win?

#45 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:07 AM

My 81 year old uncle is crazy for speed modifications. He has an Express 37 which we now call the Jones 38.

List of mods includes:

Penalty carbon pole (since cut down to original as the main got bigger)
Self built carbon rudder and stock
New keel with bulb
Carbon rig (broken twice and increased in size each time)
Safety platform (scoop)

Our issue is the rig has the original rod on it and it is the last place he can think of pulling weight out of the boat. He even paid for a trial IRC cert to see what the change would be. This boat is the perfect platform for the upgrade. His attitude is "if it breaks it's too light, if it doesn't, it's too heavy."

Please help a workaholic engineering speed freak out. He's the one wet sanding with 2000 grit as the boat launches. He's the one in the back barking orders.
Attached File  2005_nood_064.jpg   31.11K   31 downloads

#46 jeff E of the GWN

jeff E of the GWN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • Interests:windsurfing, after years of slowboating on a keelboat.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:56 AM

Why do i want your rigging well, i sail a 22 footer sailboat that is currently is collecting weeds in the backyard. The mast sans windex (which blew off lasy year ) lays beside it, and the toggles are showing the rust coloured signs of decay.
The real point is: i dont want to buy any new rigging.
I am spoilt. You see i crew on an imx 38. Its owned by a surgeon who is a great guy and could finance the GNP of a small carribean country. Its goes like this, i like to sail and dont mind showing up every wednesday and the occasional weekend to sail hard be dedicated learn and try and win. For all this puny effort , I get to sail on a well apppointed 150,000 USD boat on the largest freshwater lake around. I dont pay slip fees, yacht club yearly dues or racing fees insurance or even the little bit of diesel we use or for broken or damaged gear which we take good care of.
I bring 12 beer no and again.
Again i am spoilt.
but Alas my little once wingfooted boat awaits me.
Hmm ......yes waits for me along with the cash for beer i need push on people to go out on the water with me (my nickname is li'll hitler) batteries for the bullhorn i use to blast people who do stoopid things and blow up my gear , slip fees, yacht club dues ..etc etc
So to fund all of that nonsense yes i could use some PBO rigging which would decrease the amount of money i funnel from my average job into the money pit of sailing. And theroretically increase our chances of winning a race here or there.......... a miniscule amount. As we probably will just plain suck for a hundred reasons.
so you see i really need that rigging....
actually no i dont there much more deserving campaigns i see here.

#47 Rod Spearin

Rod Spearin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:36 AM

Please consider my boat, a Dickerson built Farr 37 for your contest. The boat was built in 1983 and raced for many years on the Chesapeake. I bought the boat in 2001 and had her trucked to the Detroit area from Virginia Beach. We race actively in the local IRC and PHRF events and also in the PH Mackinac races. This year we'll be taking her around to Chicago for that Mac as well.

I bought this type of boat because I like to tinker. We have experimented with taking out (then putting back in) some internal ballast, and filled in a portion of the IOR bustle. This past winter we had the keel removed and a new stainless plate made to reinforce the keel bolts -- the added weight of a small bulb was distorting the keel bolt washers. Things you can't do with a one-design.

The rig on the boat is a three spreader aluminum rig with discontinuous rod rigging. I think this boat is a great candidate for PBO riggiing. If we could lighten the rig, we may be able to get rid of the the remaining 440 lbs of internal ballast. We tried taking it out one year but the boat seemed too sensitive. Adding the weight back in seemed to give us better stability in 12+ knots of breeze.

Thanks for the consideration.

#48 35degreesofheel

35degreesofheel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:29 AM

...because I'll make it look good.

#49 siler

siler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:27 AM

I am planning to transform my good old "Ecume de Mer" back into race-mode (well, as much as possible) and win every possible regatta! Also because my girlfriend won't 'let me buy the good stuff' :D this could be THE way and this could be perfect promotion for West Marine Rigging in Holland!!!!

Attached Files

#50 Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Interests:N/A

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:04 AM

Because, because,because, because, because...

...because of the wonderful things it does!

#51 AIE PATRIK

AIE PATRIK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Sailracing cruising and boatbuilding

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:51 AM

Because it would be a blessing to reduce the weight of my standing rigging even though i´m temporary out of good lies to my wife why I must have it :huh: ..after my latest sailinvestment she is not in a good mood for more surprises :unsure:
And because my heavy steel rigging does not fit my boat :P

Attached Files

#52 hokie

hokie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:08 PM

35 foot boat that had a cruiser as the previous owner who went with 1x19 wire instead of rod like every other boat in my class. Sometimes I fear for the relatively slender mast because of the amazing amount of stretch the wire has compared to the rod. Eventually I will upgrade, probably not to PBO though because it seems too exotic, but putting PBO on an older weekend warrior like mine would help spread the message that PBO is not just for the elite.

#53 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,488 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:12 PM

In what may be our last season with the owner of the boat, I'd like to give him the gift of new rigging to atone for all the beating I've given to the old.

That, and the nice thick black cover makes a MUCH better pole for the girls to dance around naked.

I'll even take pics and write your promotional materials for nada.

#54 PNWGuy

PNWGuy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:46 PM

Gotta back "Soling2003" he and his crew are the best group I've sailed with. Lots of fun and true professionals. "Soling" is a great sailor, never gets flustered and keep things fun while always teaching the crew how to do it a little better. Did I mention they are firemen that keep the rest of us safe and put it on the line daily? Not to take anything away from the other but I hope these guys get their chance at the rigging, they deserve it!

#55 nemesis

nemesis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:10 PM

So there we were...

Boat: Melges 30
Place: Key West Race Week 2006
Race: 6
Wind: 20-25

Situation:

The first windy day (Tuesday) we found out how leaky the boat was and filled it with 500 or so gallons of water. Fix? Installed 4 new bilge pumps all over the boat. No more huge amounts of water on the boat. Rigging fixes: New jib sheets and pole control lines. Lesson? Never buy anything from the Southern Spars trailer unless you plan on spending 30% more than anyone else's highest prices!

On the second windy day we found out what happens when you break a backstay while planing downwind in 35 knots of breeze with about 25 knots of boatspeed... Somehow we saved the rig. At that time we also found our starboard runner to be within 4 strands of vectran of failing. Fun stuff. Fix? New backstay and a new pair of runners in time for Thursday's races. Lesson? From this day on, my bros at the West van outside the store becomes our one stop shop for evverything else we could break. Great guys, very helpful and, unlike another rigger mentioned above, actually gave a crap about saving you some coin.

So that brings us to our race in question. After a week long trial of breaking nearly everything we could think of on the boat and damn near sinking her, we finally get it patched back together and are racing hard once again. And then the outhaul breaks through the boom and carves about 14"s out of the boom ala cut saw. Regatta over.

Reasons for My asking for the PBO rigging? We have broken just about everything there is to break on the boat, so logic says that the rigging is next! All the cool kids (Melges 32s) already have this sweet rigging and we're tired on our humble old boat od kicking the virtual sand kicked in our eyes. Plus... how cool would a Melges 30 be with PBO rigging? :D

#56 shubrook

shubrook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:11 PM

Sea scouts ship 6, Norwalk, CT need the rigging for our IOR 1 tonner that we still race around Long Island sound. We take kids at 14 and train them into pro sailors. In the last 3 years we have had one guy go on to Anapolis Navy academey and two to Mass. Mariritme academey. We also have several sailors crewing for SA people (Keep your crew pool good, give us tools to train) We sail the boat every teusday, Sat & Sunday and race it all over Long island sound. We have done BIRW four times and won three, came 2nd the other time. We used to race at Ceder pt Yacht Club, but we had a fallout with the commodore when we beat him every race, so now we mainly sail with Norwalk Islands fleet.

We have done multiple Vineyard, around block island and around Long island races but always in the non-spinaker division because we can't afford to replace our rig (running backstays) if we break it.

The program is run entirely on donations. Quantum sail design, Norwalk, has helped us build our own sails on several occasions, and Hathaway's in stamford are another huge asset. We take any people who want to learn and we are an invaluable asset to kids who do not have boats or a Yacht club membership (atleast a couple grand where in our area).

If you give us this rigging we will put an SA logo on our main and ink one onto a spinnaker.

#57 hammonegg

hammonegg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:06 PM

[All right, so this is the real reason I should be chosen for the new,improved upgraded PBO rigging.
I have a Wavelenght 24 which I rescued from a parking lot last year 5 years out of the water, up on a trailer, soaking up the Oregon rain. Moss was growing on this boat! I subsequently have repaired the wet core, replaced the running rigging,rebedded the deck hardware,bought some new sails and had the trailer fixed up so we can safely go to out of town regattas. Now we are out racing, getting our Butts kicked by the local sharks, but enjoying the hell out of the Thursday night beer can races on our local lake, followed by burgers and beer.
So why do I need new rigging, you ask???

Aside from needing any competitive advantage possible to keep up w/ the local sharks, I noticed that several of my stays, have burrs on them as well as rust near the fittings. "So just go buy new rigging you say". I would, but now I'm broke from all the other repairs which have been undertaken!!!!!

So please help this Wavo sailor, bring an old beauty back to life and help promote the resurgence of the Wavelength 24.

Thank You!
Kipp Hammon
"Avalanche"
From the front page...

Big Pimpin'

This Contest is Rigged

Free POWERLITE PBO standing rigging! SA advertiser West Marine Rigging is offering a free POWERLITE PBO rig to the person that can tell us why they are most deserving of free high tech standing rigging for their boat. As always, creativity counts! This is a great opportunity for one lucky Anarchist to receive this new performance product that incorporates big weight savings with complete compatibility to improve the overall performance of their boat. Visit their web site to review all the technical information or here to see if your boat would benefit from this killer offer.

A panel of West Marine Rigging associates and of course SA will select the Anarchist contestant that best describes why they should be the lucky recipient. Once a winner has been selected the rig will be produced and their boat will be featured in an upcoming Sailing Anarchy article.

All entries must be submitted in the SA forum by June 10th and the winner will be announced on June 19th. Have fun!

You can be an owner or a regular crew of a boat that really could use this very cool freeu pgrade. Write a couple of paragraphs that best tell why you should be The Chosen One.

Boat Guidlines:

C - Rigging will be supplied to Dis-Continuous that use intersect points with Toggle jaw to marine eye. Tip cup version is still under Research and Development.

F - Detailed lengths and fitting termination to be supplied by customer or existing rigging to be sent in to duplicate to PBO.
[/quote]

#58 hammonegg

hammonegg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:08 PM

[All right, so this is the real reason I should be chosen for the new,improved upgraded PBO rigging.
I have a Wavelenght 24 which I rescued from a parking lot last year 5 years out of the water, up on a trailer, soaking up the Oregon rain. Moss was growing on this boat! I subsequently have repaired the wet core, replaced the running rigging,rebedded the deck hardware,bought some new sails and had the trailer fixed up so we can safely go to out of town regattas. Now we are out racing, getting our Butts kicked by the local sharks, but enjoying the hell out of the Thursday night beer can races on our local lake, followed by burgers and beer.
So why do I need new rigging, you ask???

Aside from needing any competitive advantage possible to keep up w/ the local sharks, I noticed that several of my stays, have burrs on them as well as rust near the fittings. "So just go buy new rigging you say". I would, but now I'm broke from all the other repairs which have been undertaken!!!!!

So please help this Wavo sailor, bring an old beauty back to life and help promote the resurgence of the Wavelength 24.

Thank You!
Kipp Hammon
"Avalanche"
From the front page...

Big Pimpin'

This Contest is Rigged

Boat Guidlines:

[/quote]

#59 Antony

Antony

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:17 PM

My reasoning is pretty simple:

I was ready and willing to pay for it. However, the manufacturer could not deliver it in time for PacCup. In other words I was willing to pay for it if they delivered it on my schedule. However, now that I have to live in their schedule, I think they should pay for it.

#60 George Hackett

George Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:33 PM

unlike most, i do not deserve new riggings. yes, i want new riggings. as a lot of you know out there, i own a J-35. and since i am not racing in class, but under IRC. wouldn't it be fun to experiment at someone else's expense? like West Marine! i'll even put thier logo on my mainsail. but most importantly, i will not win simply because west marine will not ship my prize to the philippines.

#61 Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:00 AM

To the Ed and West Marine,

As many of you are aware of my physical condition, my entry to this comp is based on "The Cost"

I have a 1991 Built Young 780 MK 3cr, which we've had in the family for upwards of a decade.

3 Years ago after winning the Club Championship, with borrowed sails I might add, I brought the boat home in order to give the old girl a much needed revamp. Three weeks later I was Diagnosed with Testicular Cancer.

Since then I have fought the great fight, lost my business, sold just about everything that was worth anything, however thru everything I've kept the boat.

My humble 26 footer, has given me direction, a purpose and a Goal that I do hope to achieve later this year, and that is to have the OSB Heaven can Wait with me on the start line of my very own Race.

Because of my physical condition I have had to modify the Young to better suit my needs and with this the replacing of the Mast and Rigging.

The Mast the boat has is just too heavy for me to practically stand - up and take down, and whilst replacing the rigging is a given, I hope to get a new mast very much lighter than the one I have now.

The organising of the "Heaven can Wait" 24-hour has been funded by anything I have left from my pension, however whilst I'm blown away by the response to my Race, I will have failed personally if my boat is unable to make that start line in late September.

I'll wear my heart on my sleave with respect to my boat, I owe it the opportunity to 'shine' once more as it has inspired me every step of the way to keep going.

I appreciate any offers for assistance to fulfil my goal and will accept graciously any other assistance the Sailing Community can provide.

My Wife, my Children and my boat have all been significant in my surviving Cancer, The Heaven can Wait 24-hour is the Crown Jewel for my Region, and for that I am proud of what I have achieved.

However my goal from the outset was always to compete again, and in a race that I could do with my Young.

The underlying fact for me is I can't do one without the other.

Please..

Attached Files

#62 jbIII

jbIII

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:35 AM

Attached File  DSC04979.jpg   151.9K   41 downloads

Make a contribution to the decimated phrf fleet in New Orleans. Don't forget about us, Katrina kicked our ass.

jb

Schock 34GP

#63 JustDroppingBy

JustDroppingBy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:06 PM

On a Schock 35, the weight savings with PBO is equal to our bowmans weight (according to West specs).

Wouldn't it be nice to pretend the bows not up there when they are?

;)

#64 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:19 PM

I have three boats which need new rigging, an IF Folkboat, a Cole Nantucket and a Halmatic 30. I think an aussie should win this contest so West have to pay the freight costs for the rigging and see how much their freight costs to Oz suck.

#65 xstrapolator

xstrapolator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 01:58 AM

I'd like it because it would make my Capri 25 go faster and I'd just love to see the look on the faces of some of the bigger boats in the fleet when I beat them. Would make pretty good ad copy too...if it makes this 25 footer do this, imagine what it can do for your boat. Worth a shot.

#66 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 12:03 PM

Because I just spent all my money on a mini from Michigan that is in need of quite a bit of upgrading. Here's the picture on weight aloft. 21' boat with a 39' aluminum, 3 spreader mast. 3 spin halyards, 1 jib halyard, one 2-1 main halyard, and two sets of runners with upper and lower check-stays. All this and the boat weighs less than 2k! So there are some real performance benefits for a boat like mine fitting West Marine's PBO rigging. I plan to use the boat to train on for bigger singlehanded events and race in mini events in the States to support the U.S class. I also intend to use the boat to raise awareness of coastal erosion in Louisiana ,my home state. So I will really be putting the boat through a lot of offshore miles and hopefully with a good amount of positive exposure. Coast 2050!

http://www.minisinam...ery/252/252.htm

Thanks for the opportunity.

-Ryan Finn

#67 Sailabout

Sailabout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:Engines

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:37 PM

Ed
Lets vote...

I give mine to H_C_W.

#68 Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:26 PM

But Honey it was such a great deal!

I bought my boat (4 knot shit box) in Khema Tx where it lay in its well for 10 years as a resting place for seagulls and the like. Unknow to me it was aground in the well. The boat dug its own hole so it seemed like it was floating, we had to use twin diesels to get it out of well. Engine pistons had rusted to cylinder walls so engine was shot, I purchased an used replacement engine

Trucked it to Michigan and began working on bottom. Took off ¼ inch of paint to get to bottom - found blisters that surveys missed. Spent next two weeks day and night fixing bottom. Started on keel - had to rebuild bottom of fin keel. The end was elliptical from 10 years of hole digging in well. It took a few days and 1 gallon of epoxy and various fillers to make square again

Replaced 20 year old running rigging with modern stuff and all Nor-delaminate sails. Won 1st race - almost got killed when spin guy ripped out of deck due to rusty stainless steel bolts. Spent next weeks replacing all stainless bolts and nut on boat and rebedding all deck hardware.

Went out for first big race - Port Huron Mac and was struck by lighting while watching a Santa Cruz 70 loose it mast. All wind instruments melted. Spent next few years trying to get instruments working (lesson learned replace everything ). On way back from Mac Rebuilt engine head gasket blows. I spent quality time with wife repairing engine.

Following year messed around with instruments finally got to work. Started Port Huron Mac -1 hour into race instruments bye bye. Later on the "kid" on the crew (all boats have one) forgets to tie up #3 on foredeck discovers top ¼ is dragging in water and decides it not important and not relevant to our slow boat speed. Destroyed #3. On way back we again blow up engine – oil pressure gage breaks off spewing oil in bilge. We put up sails just prior to rainstorm so we can get the oil and bilge water evenly distributed around interior of boat. We get a mercy tow prior to 40 knot winds into port.

Next year with newly rebuilt engine discover severe corrosion on mast. Strip mast using everything but kitchen sink. Much discussion at yacht club about the merits of bare aluminum vrs painted by morons. Get boat in races everything is working except wind instruments. On way back from "The Race" in fact 25 min out of harbor. Engine blows up –we sail back and buy a brand new Volvo 2003.

Next year instruments are fickle but I am now very good at telling wind direction and speed by shaving the back of my neck prior to each race. On way back from "The Race" The Port Sanilac harbor boy tells me there is 7 feet of water in harbor. He forgets to tell us there is 5 feet over the rocks prior to harbor mouth. We run aground - hard breaking many fiberglass ribs in swell. Get boat hauled for repair. Repair guy takes keel off discover keel bolts are as rusty as an Michigan driven 1970 Dodge Dart. Keel disappears for vacation. Miss next season due heated to cost discussions with repair person.

When I get boat back from repair person keel is 1" wider and has many cracks in surface. Discover keel coating is substandard ( 2" of micro light) and remove. Discover that keel lead was poured in fiberglass mold and fiberglass covering had delaminated (most likely the day after the pour - June 1st 1980) and should be removed as keel was too fat for NACA section. Spent next 3 weeks repairing keel. Bought all new instruments and reassembled boat. Everything works!

Following year – This year put mast up discovered wind instruments do not work.

I need to win this contest.

#69 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:31 AM

But Honey it was such a great deal!

I bought my boat (4 knot shit box) in Khema Tx where it lay in its well for 10 years as a resting place for seagulls and the like. Unknow to me it was aground in the well. The boat dug its own hole so it seemed like it was floating, we had to use twin diesels to get it out of well. Engine pistons had rusted to cylinder walls so engine was shot, I purchased an used replacement engine

Trucked it to Michigan and began working on bottom. Took off ¼ inch of paint to get to bottom - found blisters that surveys missed. Spent next two weeks day and night fixing bottom. Started on keel - had to rebuild bottom of fin keel. The end was elliptical from 10 years of hole digging in well. It took a few days and 1 gallon of epoxy and various fillers to make square again

Replaced 20 year old running rigging with modern stuff and all Nor-delaminate sails. Won 1st race - almost got killed when spin guy ripped out of deck due to rusty stainless steel bolts. Spent next weeks replacing all stainless bolts and nut on boat and rebedding all deck hardware.

Went out for first big race - Port Huron Mac and was struck by lighting while watching a Santa Cruz 70 loose it mast. All wind instruments melted. Spent next few years trying to get instruments working (lesson learned replace everything ). On way back from Mac Rebuilt engine head gasket blows. I spent quality time with wife repairing engine.

Following year messed around with instruments finally got to work. Started Port Huron Mac -1 hour into race instruments bye bye. Later on the "kid" on the crew (all boats have one) forgets to tie up #3 on foredeck discovers top ¼ is dragging in water and decides it not important and not relevant to our slow boat speed. Destroyed #3. On way back we again blow up engine – oil pressure gage breaks off spewing oil in bilge. We put up sails just prior to rainstorm so we can get the oil and bilge water evenly distributed around interior of boat. We get a mercy tow prior to 40 knot winds into port.

Next year with newly rebuilt engine discover severe corrosion on mast. Strip mast using everything but kitchen sink. Much discussion at yacht club about the merits of bare aluminum vrs painted by morons. Get boat in races everything is working except wind instruments. On way back from "The Race" in fact 25 min out of harbor. Engine blows up –we sail back and buy a brand new Volvo 2003.

Next year instruments are fickle but I am now very good at telling wind direction and speed by shaving the back of my neck prior to each race. On way back from "The Race" The Port Sanilac harbor boy tells me there is 7 feet of water in harbor. He forgets to tell us there is 5 feet over the rocks prior to harbor mouth. We run aground - hard breaking many fiberglass ribs in swell. Get boat hauled for repair. Repair guy takes keel off discover keel bolts are as rusty as an Michigan driven 1970 Dodge Dart. Keel disappears for vacation. Miss next season due heated to cost discussions with repair person.

When I get boat back from repair person keel is 1" wider and has many cracks in surface. Discover keel coating is substandard ( 2" of micro light) and remove. Discover that keel lead was poured in fiberglass mold and fiberglass covering had delaminated (most likely the day after the pour - June 1st 1980) and should be removed as keel was too fat for NACA section. Spent next 3 weeks repairing keel. Bought all new instruments and reassembled boat. Everything works!

Following year – This year put mast up discovered wind instruments do not work.

I need to win this contest.

Should have bought B&G. Ha. Good luck with the enry, I'd give it to you (or sell it.)

#70 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,488 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:26 PM

Posted Image

That's hot.

c.

#71 CaptKen

CaptKen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:44 PM

I cruise the Chesapeake on my Catalina 34. As the saying goes if another boat is in sight it is a race, so I race every time I’m on the water. Think I’m about 50/50 in the win column. Regularly cruise with a couple of new H36’s, new sails, new rig, little bigger, still it pisses me off as gradually pull away from me. The previous owners took her to the Bahamas and Abacos. She has been in a salt water environment all her life. The rigging is currently 16 years old, although I can see nothing wrong with it, safety says it’s time to replace.

Why do I need the PBO rig?
1. Safety
2. A better chance of keeping up with the neighbors
3. Free rigging means more beer $$ or other WM boat toys
4. Will allow WM to test the longevity of their product. No rig breaking “beyond the edge” sailing.
5. Winless in the Lottery for years, be nice to win something!
6. Great Father’s Day gift!
7. Some would say it is crazy to put PBO in a cruising boat, fits right in with the name: Luna Loca

#72 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,488 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:51 PM

not worry about becoming a conductor.

Actually that brings up a real question: Doesn't carbon conduct electricity really, really well? Like, way better than stainless? I remember that ol' pencil on the battery terminal gag too well.

what about the PBO stuff?

#73 redboat

redboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,278 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:21 PM

Posted Image

s.

update: just launched the boat after a two year hiatus on the trailer. the new jib, new forestay location and new jibleads work great but i need more rake. in this pic the forestay is vectran - a temp measure till i figure out how much rake i need. here is the important part - the shrouds are too long and bottomed out - i will have to shorten them to get the rake i need, which mean i have to get a new set of shrouds. this is where you, West Marine, come in. meanwhile, MoMP's son is two weeks closer to his first multihull experience. will he have to touch steel shrouds with his little hands not used to harsh objects? West Marine, THAT is entirely up to you!

Posted Image

#74 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:27 PM

PBO on a Catalina 34! That would be a sight. Like the Mercedes from Lost Highway.

#75 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 01:24 PM

I bought my Merit 25 this past November needing "a little TLC". Spent the winter doing the bottom, doing a deck job, and replacing most of the blocks, cleats, and all the running rigging. Launched the boat in the spring, and off racing we went. Damn the boat went well, however we've only been able to achieve seconds and thirds. With West Marine POWERLITE PBO standing rigging we definitely would break through. That and the standing rigging does need replacing. Old saltwater stuff.

Thanks.

#76 Jollymon

Jollymon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:18 PM

When you have a rescue boat sitting next to the house waiting to get back in the water you have to enter a contest like this. About a year ago I bought an old Martin 241 that was someone else's project boat until they lost interest in it. I went to Vancouver BC and brought it to Portland to finish the job and join the local Martin fleet here. We did the math the other day and when all of the boats get in the water there will be 6 in Portland (the fleet races the Martin 241 and 242 boats together with many of the 241's using 242 sails, there were 9 boats out for the begining of the current series!).

Since the boat hasn't had the mast up in over seven years and since the rigging is in a wad inside the boat, I will need to replace it. Why not replace it with Powerlite PBO? I could have the first boat in the fleet with the new rigging and as the others start replacing their standing rigging (since the boats are all over 25 years old), why not have lightweight rigging on these small lightweight boats (the Martins are 24' fractional rigged one design boats weighing in at around 2200 lbs). Some of the boats are road warriors, as well. Some of them run up I-5 to race in Puget Sound, and many of the crew have rides on other boats up north. If my boat were to have the new rigging, the word of mouth information would spread not only in the Portland fleet, but to the Puget Sound area as well.

If we were to win the new rigging, well we would be the best dressed new boat coming to the next series of races!

Thank you,
Jollymon

#77 Hitchhiker

Hitchhiker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:56 PM

Me and the missus are into BDSM. We figure that rope is for wimps, so have started using the 1X19 wire from the boat. Works great, but we are sick of swaging it and then cutting it after we are done. Also, it gets pretty expensive to replace the rigging after each session. PBO would work way better, high strength and the ability to tie knots. As they say in our other community, if you can't tie knots tie lots.

#78 razorback

razorback

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:08 AM

We could use this rigging more then anyone bc we race a Mega 30 at 138 phrf. :)

We are the Willy Lowman of lake sailing. We lose, and we keep going sailing. We get ridiculed but we keep sailing. We break stuff but we keep sailing. We give time to boats that can beat us scratch without breaking a sweat but we keep sailing. Why? because we love sailing, and we love racing, and we have FUN and we can't afford to do it in a boat people think is cool that will fit all the people we think are cool in it.

I like this newbie. Perfect attitude.

But my God man, that is an ugly boat!

#79 JayP

JayP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:55 PM

OK, ok, I'm already catching PM flak for writing so long. It was all bullshit anyway. Here's the real story:

When he heard I had given the commission to Tomo, a certain diminuitive West Coast designer who's big into leather flew into a bitch-rage and kidnapped my adorable boat dog Fluffy (not her real name). The ransom took every cent I had saved for standing rigging — the 150-pound jar of dimes from hunting Coke bottles along Interstate 40 at night with a flashlight, the dinner-plate-sized roll of dollar bills filched from strippers at the Red Garter and Upstairz, even the certified check from eBaying my 30-year monk-on-nun porn collection.
"Fluffy" was returned alive but severely traumatized. She refuses to even step on a boat and trembles every time I unroll my blueprints. The vet suspects sodomy.

Attached File  DSC02348.jpg   216.35K   31 downloads

#80 JayP

JayP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:04 PM

After deck spray, awlgrip cloud white, flattening agent and custom blend of spayed non-skid....Attached File  DSC00959.jpg   84.85K   24 downloads

#81 JayP

JayP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:07 PM

bulb after fairing and epoxy primer coat
Attached File  DSC02345.jpg   127.7K   24 downloads

#82 Off Watch

Off Watch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Performance Sailboats
    Sailmaking
    Boatbuilding and Repair
    Offshore Sailing

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:26 PM

JayP Great Story, some of the boat perfection stuff hit a little to close to home.
Pictures look really sweet
Good luck and enjoy.

#83 pipsqueak

pipsqueak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 03:00 PM

the title, 'this contest is rigged!' should be changed to: 'rig this contest!!'
why? because i have a 1971 contest 27 that is badly in need of new rigging. i've owned this boat for ten years, i bought it sitting at a dock in florida, very neglected. i rerigged, (chainplates to masthead) replumbed, bought sails, spliced halyards,painted, mounted a wind vane...well, you get the picture. i spent a fortune, by the way at west marine.
as a middle aged lady i sailed with my little doggie as crew to the caribbean and have probably racked up close to 15,000 nm on it over the last decade. this little dutch built boat has been very good to me over the years; very obediant in the worst of weather and always eager to do my bidding. i have spent all of my resources keeping it seaworthy; i've done all work myself in the steamiest tropic fug..sometimes in over my head, yet managing successful repairs none the less. this little boat has become my home, and though i struggle to keep up with its demands, working all kinds of horrible jobs to pay for its upkeep, this boat will remain my home for as long as i can continue to be a sailor; it fits me just right and i love it. the rig is now 10 years old and being swaged, i am worried for its integrity. i sail bluewater and a little boat takes a long time to get anywhere so i am often caught out in big winds and seas. i would be very grateful for new rigging. here's a picture of my contest wedged between big boys on the hard in grenada, sorry i don't have any better photos.not very cybersavy, hope the photo goes on.Attached File  my_contest.jpg   153.46K   17 downloads

#84 pete

pete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 02:57 AM

OK, ok, I'm already catching PM flak for writing so long. It was all bullshit anyway. Here's the real story:

When he heard I had given the commission to Tomo, a certain diminuitive West Coast designer who's big into leather flew into a bitch-rage and kidnapped my adorable boat dog Fluffy (not her real name). The ransom took every cent I had saved for standing rigging — the 150-pound jar of dimes from hunting Coke bottles along Interstate 40 at night with a flashlight, the dinner-plate-sized roll of dollar bills filched from strippers at the Red Garter and Upstairz, even the certified check from eBaying my 30-year monk-on-nun porn collection.
"Fluffy" was returned alive but severely traumatized. She refuses to even step on a boat and trembles every time I unroll my blueprints. The vet suspects sodomy.

Attached File  DSC02348.jpg   216.35K   31 downloads

Great yarn, but why would west want to put PBO on a boat that will end up in the maritime museum. Launch it. So Fluffy is the reason you won't lauch it? Put it in the water and see if you still need it.
If they would just get me a price I would buy it, still waiting.

#85 The Winner

The Winner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:55 PM

Damn Jay, there went some time my employer will never get back

#86 JayP

JayP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 02:40 PM

Damn Jay, there went some time my employer will never get back

All I can say in my defense is that its an an extremely condensed version of eight years of toil, hundreds of lost weekends, a month and a half of my vacation time blah blah blah.

#87 The Winner

The Winner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:12 PM

So when are you going to splash the bitch

#88 JayP

JayP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:06 PM

So when are you going to splash the bitch

Had a dollar for every time been asked that one I could paid Goetz to build it. This summer sometime. There are literally just a few (long) days of labor left -- maybe 6-7? — though racing has been cutting into it, been on water 5 of last 7 weekends, Ocracoke and Screwpile regattas coming. Little left to do, run wiring for the Tacktick, rig the vang. Mast is up this minute on rope stays to measure for standing rigging, got to take it down and spray it clear at same time as spray tiller. Then have to lift boat about 9 feet up on the temporary boat lift I made out of 4X4's and a tree so I can topcoat bottom of keel, then drop boat again and spray top of keel, that's it.

#89 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:23 PM

All entries must be submitted in the SA forum by June 10th and the winner will be announced on June 19th.

So ED, who won?

#90 deke_morrison

deke_morrison

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:09 PM

[quote name='The Winner' post='746713' date='May 23 2006, 06:38 AM'][quote name='pete' post='743132' date='May 19 2006, 09:14 PM']
[quote name='jdougherty' post='742825' date='May 19 2006, 12:23 PM']
[quote name='Solo' post='741779' date='May 18 2006, 05:33 PM']
[quote name='pete' post='741593' date='May 18 2006, 03:25 PM']
[quote name='The Winner' post='741544' date='May 18 2006, 02:57 PM']
Attached File  Pete.jpg   147.35K   251 downloadsI think this guy could use some[/quote]
[/quote]

we got a winner!

s.
[/quote]

Agree.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh no now someone had to go and bring tits into the game. Those are gonna need some PBO to hold em up in a couple of years
[/quote]

Pete--Should I see if the crew will step-up and show some tits so you can win the rigging?

#91 sirstopher

sirstopher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:03 AM

I would be interested on hearing how this contest worked out?

How was West Marine to work with?

Did they deliver on time?

How is the rigging?

And how much did you have to spend out of your pocket to get the PBO to work with your J29?

#92 celphtaught

celphtaught

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:the great blue yonder. and random bits of string

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:56 AM

we still have quite a bit of work to do on the boat, its a mess, and we left it with the west guys that we would give them a call a few weeks before we were ready to destep the mast. as it is winter here, and very cold, nto much work is able to be done, and it will resume once the weather gets back above 40 degrees, i've found that things tend to be unfrozen then

#93 Asymptote

Asymptote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:29 AM

June 10th is my birthday!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users