#102 HWW

HWW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:sailing and superconducting magnet technology

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:26 PM

I am stunned. My sincere condolances to his family and friends.

Rust in vrede Hans. Sterkte aan familie en vrienden.

Huub Weijers
Tallahassee, Florida

#103 Ayes

Ayes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Skiing, Iceboating and Land Surveying

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:35 PM

Shocked and saddened to hear the news this morning. My thoughts and prayers go out to Hans family, friends and shipmates. just a tragic, tragic loss. Fair winds Hans

I am also upset by the fact that it takes a tragedy like this for the world media to focus on this event.

Ayes

#104 duncan

duncan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts
  • Interests:.25% above prime

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:36 PM

my condolences to family friends & crew

#105 the paradox of thrift

the paradox of thrift

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Interests:I like sailing

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:38 PM

This is terrible news. I follow this every sched and all of a sudden the race doesn't seem very important at all.

I feel very sad for his family - absolutely tragic.

Good luck to the crew getting home safely after all of this.

#106 Triceratops

Triceratops

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:39 PM

What a terrible, terrible thing to happen after sailing so far around the world. My deepest sympathy to the family, and friends.

An amazing recovery in the middle of the night. At the speeds these guys go it must have been really rough finding him.

My only question beyond was he wearing a lifejacket (I'm sure he was) was did he have a harness/tether on. Aren't they required at night? The report was that a wave came over the bow, I'm sure we have all seen video of the waves washing over the bow into the cockpit, as a captain I would insist of harness/teathers. AS a sailor I would insist on drysuits.

Anyway you look at it, its a sad thing. Maybe the rest of the fleet will let them finish first out of respect.

#107 Mid

Mid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,409 posts
  • Interests:T 'n A ,

S D 'n R&R

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:39 PM

Latest statement issued by the Volvo Ocean Race: Hans Horrevoets a crew member aboard ABN AMRO TWO, one of the two ABN AMRO yachts competing in the Volvo Ocean Race 2005 – 2006, died earlier this morning after failing to regain consciousness after being swept overboard from the boat. The young crew, who have sailed this boat so well, are devastated.

more here

#108 francesco

francesco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:40 PM

my condolences to family friends & crew

No words...

#109 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,221 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:41 PM

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a gray mist on the sea's face, and a gray dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way, where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,

And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

J.M.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

rocked, just put my lil girl to bed, and saw the news here, my anguish is for the young one ......

bring that ship in Luke M.

GS, O&O.

#110 Liquid

Liquid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:43 PM

With a young family of my own... it's not hard to imagine the magnitude of the tragedy for those that are a par tof it. Very sad.

No harness on while sitting on deck?

#111 NACRADUDE

NACRADUDE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,286 posts
  • Interests:Various women, various boats, and various states of consciousness.

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:49 PM

Terrible news, as many have said he died doing something that he loved which is what most of us would hope for ourselves when it is our turn, unfortunately whilst that helps most of us reconcile his loss it can only be but a minor consolation for his friends and family.

I couldn't have said it better

R.I.P. Hans

#112 gusmus

gusmus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:49 PM

ABN AMRO Two crew devastated
Earlier this morning, Hans Horrevoets (NED) was washed overboard from the deck of ABN AMRO Two as they raced across the North Atlantic on their way to Portsmouth, UK, in leg seven of the Volvo Ocean Race. The young crew, who have sailed this boat so well, are devastated.

The boat was sailing downwind in 25 - 30 knots of wind under mainsail, fractional spinnaker and staysail. Sebastien Josse, skipper of ABN AMRO Two, was at the helm, Hans was trimming the spinnaker sheet, Nick Bice, Andrew Lewis and Lucas Brun were also on deck. A wave washed back down the deck and when the water cleared Hans was no longer on deck.

"We are all devastated by the events that took place this morning and all our thoughts are for Hans' family," said skipper Sebastien Josse. "I would like to stress that throughout the whole man overboard procedure, the crew handled themselves calmly, professionally and with the utmost maturity. It is with deep regret that we were unable to resuscitate Hans," he commented.

ABN AMRO Two navigator Simon Fisher explains what happened:

"Immediately Seb hailed 'man overboard' and called everyone on deck while I remained below to put in place our man overboard procedures and GPS positioning. The spinnaker was immediately dropped, the staysail furled and the starboard daggerboard lowered. The engine was switched on and we attempted to motor-sail back on a reciprocal course. Due to the strong headwinds it was decided we drop the main, and go under motor alone as it was difficult to maintain a direct course to the man overboard position.

"Once Hans was located, Simeon Tienpoint put on his dry-suit, harness and diving gear in order to assist in the recovery. Once back on board Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, UK was notified that we had a major medical emergency and asked to stand by. In the meantime Hans was moved downstairs. No pulse was found so CPR (cardio pulmonary resuscitation) was initiated by the crew's medics George Peet and Nick Bice, assisted by Andrew Lewis, Lucas Brun and Luke Malloy, all of whom are medically trained for such emergencies. CPR was stopped at 0420 UTC."

Speaking from race headquarters, Volvo Ocean Race CEO Glenn Bourke said: "All of us at the Volvo Ocean Race are deeply saddened to learn of the loss of Hans Horrevoets. At this time our thoughts are with Hans' family and friends, his fellow crew members and all the members of Team ABN AMRO.

"Ocean racing carries inherent risks and we do our utmost to minimize those risks with the mandatory safety equipment we have on board. However, when an accident like this occurs it is a shock to everyone associated with the race. The Volvo Ocean Race family is a close-knit community and we will all lend whatever support is needed at this tragic time."

In Holland, Jan Berent Heukensfeldt Jansen, managing director of TEAM ABN AMRO said: "We are all shocked and devastated by this terrible news and our thoughts now are very much with Hans' family. We are all aware of the risks that sailors face but nothing can prepare you for this kind of tragedy. My thoughts are also with the crew who I understand behaved in the most professional manner and reacted immediately and I wish them a safe passage home."

ABN AMRO Two is 1420 nautical miles from Portsmouth. The boat is under sail and the crew are making their way towards landfall as quickly as possible where a decision will be made on their further participation in the race.

Yachting World, 18 May 2006

#113 Kevin

Kevin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:50 PM

I never really know what to say when something like this happens... aside from condolences & respect, I'm at a loss. :(

#114 Old Man On The Bow

Old Man On The Bow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:54 PM

Such a sad thing, My thoughts and prayers are with hid family, friends and fellow crew, at least he passed doing something he loved.
Regards

#115 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,280 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:00 PM

i think that the activity of this thread is a good representation of the sailing community, and anyone who says different should be 'told' otherwise.
The trajedy brings out and reminds us that undertaking any race, is a serious event and that are real and true dangers.

Hans, rip.

#116 oldskool

oldskool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:01 PM

Nothing to say that already hasn't been said. This is an awful thing to happen. I can only wish the best for everyone involved.

Having worked very closely with their shore team and some of the crew on the US stopover, this is a total heartbreaker. The whole ABN program is top rate with fantastic people involved. Condolences to his family and friends.

#117 sailthebay26

sailthebay26

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:02 PM

I wish the family the best of wishes I couldn't image being in the situation they are in. I can only hope that they find comfort in knowing the entire sailing community is here to support them and that his wife may have some comfort in knowing he died doing what he loved.
Best wish am2 we support you here.
Nick

#118 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:08 PM

As those of us in the Northern Hemisphere begin our offshore seasons, it's important to remember that the sea is a dangerous place, and if this can happen to the best in the world, it can happen to any of us. Keep Hans in your mind as you head offshore.

Also, hats off to the rest of the competitors who immediatly stopped racing to join in the search and rescue operations. We all wish this had a different outcome, but I hope the level and magnitude of the response is comforting to Hans' family.

Fair Seas, RIP

#119 Sailing Pro Shop

Sailing Pro Shop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Racing, Youth sports

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:16 PM

Good morning- I have just now become aware of the events of last night and simply want to add my name to the list of thousands who I am sure are feeling the loss of "our family" in the high performance end of the sailing world. Hans: rest in peace and for the family our deepest condolences and we pray that you are in the best of company right now with support from your family and town. Our hearts go out to you. There are no words to describe the loss but wanted you to know that we are thinking of you and hoping in some small way our prayers help.

Mark Michaelsen

#120 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,280 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:25 PM

i see absolutely nothing on the websites of cnn (which i didnt expect, they are assholes anyway), nor on msnbc. Not even a blurb in sports. So much for breaking news etc, american media sucks. I also found that they show what they are airing on tv, still nothing. I expect that if they do say anything, it will be somehow demeaning to both Hans and the sport of sailing anyway. I'll give them time, but i think they've had enough.

#121 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,854 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Surfing Flying Skiing

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:27 PM

My condolences.

Max Rosenberg

#122 stumbler

stumbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:30 PM

rip.

#123 Eastport Grrl

Eastport Grrl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:31 PM

i see absolutely nothing on the websites of cnn (which i didnt expect, they are assholes anyway), nor on msnbc. Not even a blurb in sports. So much for breaking news etc, american media sucks. I also found that they show what they are airing on tv, still nothing. I expect that if they do say anything, it will be somehow demeaning to both Hans and the sport of sailing anyway. I'll give them time, but i think they've had enough.

WJZ, out of Baltimore, had it on first thing this morning. It must have been around 6:45- 7 a.m. Just the barest of facts but enough to get me ot of bed and on the web.

My condolences to the family.

#124 vouz etes ici

vouz etes ici

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:32 PM

U leefde een van zeeman de droom en leefde het goed. Rust in vrede.

#125 Jim E

Jim E

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:34 PM

what a tragedy -our thoughts with his friends, family and fellow crewmembers. RIP

#126 Guest Anarchist Samiam_*

Guest Anarchist Samiam_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:34 PM

The first rum and coke I drink tonight will be in honor of Hans, and his wife and child.

The second one will be out respect to the crew who were amazing in their efforts to actually find him in those extreme conditions. What seamanship.

The third one will be out of respect to the other boats who turned on a dime...no questions asked to come to the aid of another boat.

#127 DanM

DanM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • Interests:Homebrewing beer, Sailing, Cycling. IDPA/IPSC Shooting

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:35 PM

My condolences. RIP my friend.

#128 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:36 PM

Awful news - my thoughts and prayers go out to the family and his team mates

RIP

#129 AttitudeAdjuster

AttitudeAdjuster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Finn Sailing<br />Dinghy Sailing in general especially RS700 &amp; K6 (possible future boats)<br />Leadmining in the Solent: Mumm 30, Prima 38, J-39, Farr 45

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:43 PM

Sail on my friend - RIP.

#130 ibcrewin

ibcrewin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Interests:4.875% fixed

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:43 PM

I've been sitting here taking all this in and I am lost for words.. I looked through the pictures on the Volvo site and it still seems surreal. They were all so happy. Now this..so so sad. My condolences and deepest sympathies go out the family and crew.

#131 arr4ws

arr4ws

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:48 PM

no words i could say could tell what i feel.... no words

while i didnt knew him until this tragic news , i feel like someone i cared for died.

Events like that bring the community closer . We put all are problem aside and we celebrate the remembrance of this sailor..

RIP

#132 arr4ws

arr4ws

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:54 PM

"The boat was sailing downwind in 25 - 30 knots of wind under mainsail, fractional spinnaker and staysail." and at night.

So where was his harness ?

nice third post...
it happen , who care about the harness now uh?

fuck off

#133 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,615 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:54 PM

Condolences to Family and friends. Tragic.

Was he one of the amatures that tried out for a spot, or is he one of the originals??

Fing Tragic

Shag

#134 SRP

SRP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:55 PM

If you listen very carefully, you'll hear the sound of heart break as we all first hear about this tragedy today. My thoughts go out to his daughter, his wife Petra and the rest of his family. Also to the crew of ABN II and all the competitors.

Scott

#135 Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:56 PM

My condolences. I wish you strength and peace

#136 Kevin

Kevin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:01 PM

Was he one of the amatures that tried out for a spot, or is he one of the originals??

Fing Tragic

Shag

Pro sailor, on the selection comittee for the rest of the ABM2 team.

#137 Inattentive Observer

Inattentive Observer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Bloody hell.

This was the first thing I read when I got in from work this morning.

My condolences to Hans' family and teammates.

#138 lucas

lucas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Fing Tragic

Shag

Hans was one of the three judges selcting the crew. Together with M Paardekoper and Roy Heiner did he flew around the world to select the crewmembers. After a Brasilian and an American stepped off due to personal issues he came on board. He had been training with them and could bring some experience.

I keep thinking about the storie of Hans emphasizing the importance of a harness over PFD...
(for all Dutch: http://cgi.omroep.nl...veiligheid.wmv)

It has become the talk off the town, today here in the Netherlands. How unfourtunate that this is the reason.

#139 smelly weasel

smelly weasel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:05 PM

I have two small children as well- I am deeply saddend-

do you guys think we (the SA community) should put togehter a fund for his family?

#140 tamkvaitis

tamkvaitis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:07 PM

Few years ago my father died in similar conditions. I was onboard and I can understand the guys onboard AA2. They should feel like...I dont know the right word...that's a fucken unfairines, that the most experienced and wonderfull people leaves us..shit I am crying.. I know how his family feels....that's why I am crying..because I remember my father and I miss him very much..although i think everybody of us would die in conditions like these rather than in hospital conected to dozen of hoses and other crap....

#141 the_chick_on_the_boat

the_chick_on_the_boat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:09 PM

Everybody jokes about sailors as rock stars but today we lost one of the real rock stars of our sport --
-- my colleagues at work don't understand why this is hitting so hard -- but I think for anyone who sails and who has watched these boats in action, we are in awe of these guys. We've probably all imagined how cool it must be to sail one of those boats but then the ultimate risk of sailing happens and we can understand how easily it could happen . . . whether he was tethered or not (I find it hard to believe he wasn't), it ultimately doesn't matter . . . he's gone and we as a community are saddened by it.

Considering that he was unconscious when they got him back on board, and looking at Bekking's May 17 post on the front page ( . . . water temperature is only 7 degrees C [44.5 F]) I'm inclined to think hypothermia set in . . . again, not that it really matters . . .

like everyone here, my condolences go to his family, friends, and fellow crewmembers. . .

#142 southernocean

southernocean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:11 PM

Condolences to family and the crew. It is an utter shock, but the remainder of the crew did exceptionally well to get back and recover him! Awesome seamanship, but a huge loss to our sailing family.

#143 Tornado_ALIVE

Tornado_ALIVE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:12 PM

RIP Hans and condolences to his family and friends. :(

#144 arr4ws

arr4ws

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:13 PM

"The boat was sailing downwind in 25 - 30 knots of wind under mainsail, fractional spinnaker and staysail." and at night.

nice third post...

fuck off

I fell as sad as anyone in this forum for such a tragic loss.. and yes my thoughts go out to the crew, his family, his wife and young daughter.

And yes I do care about the harness, it can often prevent such tragedies.

then at least say it...

was a pretty rude post in my opinion

#145 easywind

easywind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Viking 28

Again, as it has been said, hard to say more than what has been said already- an absolute tragedy... My condolences to family and all close to Hans.

An Honorable Man. An Honorable Crew. Maximum Respect.

ez

#146 remmie

remmie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Interests:Bow<br />Sailing<br />Girls<br />Computers<br />(in that order)

Read on....

#147 Wino

Wino

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:15 PM

do you guys think we (the SA community) should put togehter a fund for his family?

Yes...I also have 2 small children and as one who enjoys open ocean sailing/racing, I too am deeply saddend.

#148 Bonamar

Bonamar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:17 PM

nice third post...

fuck off

I fell as sad as anyone in this forum for such a tragic loss.. and yes my thoughts go out to the crew, his family, his wife and young daughter.

And yes I do care about the harness, it can often prevent such tragedies.

then at least say it...

was a pretty rude post in my opinion

There will be plenty of time to disect what happened and this will inevitably cause a lot of chat and discussion about safety.

Please can we keep this thread concentrated on tributes and condolences for the time being. This is what is important for everyone in our community right now.

#149 Cement_Shoes

Cement_Shoes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:18 PM

I am sure that more details surrounding this tragedy will come to light. My feeling is that at this point it is disrespectful to Hans' memory as well to his family, friends and fellow crew members to speculate over the circumstances of his being washed overboard and ultimatetely his death.

Most of us are asking why and trying to make sense of this event. I believe the answers will be forthcoming at least to the how did it occur and especially in this very public forum we should wait for them rather than wildly speculate as to what may have happened.

#150 Justbecause

Justbecause

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:19 PM

A good cry for the unfortunates who remain amougnst the living...

Sail on Hans

#151 amolitor

amolitor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:24 PM

My condolences and sorrow as well, of course. What a tragedy for all involved. The boat must be an appalling place to be right now.

I hope we DO spend the time to dissect the case and learn what can be learned, when the time is right, though. It'd be disrespectful to not try to learn something that might save a life in future.

#152 marian

marian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,942 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:29 PM

If anything in this tragedy can be called at good thing, it is that I am sure that ABN AMRO will take care of Hans family.

#153 WCB

WCB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:30 PM

RIP Hans. My thoughts are with your wife, daughter, family, friends and teammates...

In respect to what Hmsmweasel wrote. This Winter I attended a freeskiing event where one of the athletes tragically hit a tree and while he has his life, he lost one of his legs. The telemark community banded together to create a paypal fund for him and it was an impressive statement. People from all around the world contributed as brothers and sisters of a fellow athlete/skier/telemark skier and he now has $30K US to help him in this next year as he goes through rehab. The telemark community pales in comparison to the size of the sailing industry, I believe, I would love to see this happen through SA for Petra and their daughter. A number of companies, including myself and the company I represent, donated odds and ends to the fund that were drawn at random for the people who gave their hard earned money for E.J. If you would like to see how this was done... http://www.telemarkt...TeleNews71.html

WCB

#154 cms

cms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:31 PM

J.M.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

rocked, just put my lil girl to bed, and saw the news here, my anguish is for the young one ......

bring that ship in Luke m.

GS, O&O.

Here is where SA really matters! We can argue the toss, sling shit, and ogle our Friday porn, but this is ultimately a community of sailors, and today we all have trouble keeping tears from our eyes. We know the risks and respect those who take them. Some of us have been there, others have only had the experience second hand. But we all know how powerfull the sea is, and how small we are in comparison.

Hans goes and we will all follow. Someone needs to make sure that the ABN2 crew and Hans's family have a chance to read this thread when the time is right.

From the small survivors to the big guy who goes before us...

Tears.

Sympathy.

Respect.

#155 J24Soup

J24Soup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:39 PM

Part of the allure of this event for participants and spectators is the extreme nature of what is being done. The teams' willingness to take on this challenge, not to mention ability, makes them our idols and heros. Today most of us lost a hero, but others a friend, husband, and father - my thoughts and prayers are with them.

#156 Mid

Mid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,409 posts

S D 'n R&R

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:41 PM

don't forget to add here

TEAM ABN AMRO is in deep mourning over the death of Hans Horrevoets.

Rijkman Groenink, Chairman of the Managing Board of ABN AMRO expressed his condolences:

"The news of Hans Horrevoets' death left us deeply shocked. Over the past year and a half, from preparation to where we are now, TEAM ABN AMRO has become an integral part of the ABN AMRO family. We shared in the excitement leading up to the race and celebrated our achievements since the race began. Now, in this tragic moment, we feel the loss of a family member.

Our thoughts at this time are with Hans’ family, especially his partner and their young daughter, and also with his fellow crew members."

#157 Delta Blues

Delta Blues

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,808 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:44 PM

After all of the predictions that these boats would sink in the Southern Ocean, then didn't, the biggest disaster ends up being a simple overboard. Stunning. I presume that the boats don't carry a defib machine?

Sympathies to all involved.

#158 fan

fan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:45 PM

I already posted on the ABN site but once again My condolences to his family. We all go out there and accept the risks involved as part of the game. Its not until something like this happens that you begin to think not of the risks WE accept but of those left on shore wondering or hoping that we will be OK. As was stated above I hope the family can take solice that he died doing something he loved and that I believe truely means something.

#159 Abbo

Abbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Interests:Kite Surfing, binge drinking.

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:47 PM

A very sad day indeed. My heart goes out to his family and friends. Spare a thought for his crewmates too, they've still got 1300 miles to go on a boat that would be so quiet right now it would be positively erie. Lukey, Bicey, SiFi, Junior, George, Seb, Lucas and Simeon, our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

RIP

Abbo,

Out.

#160 kokopelli

kokopelli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:53 PM

My thoughts are with Petra and their daughter. May you have found happyness Hans.

Nothing more to say...

#161 Mid

Mid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,409 posts

S D 'n R&R

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:57 PM

in the beginning we called 'em the kids ,
bloody sure they are hero's now ...every last one of 'em

RIP Hans

Posted Image

#162 Burnsy

Burnsy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
  • Interests:1982 Dehler DB1 "Heat Wave" 31436
    Bay City YC
    Bayview YC
    South Shore YC

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:05 PM

What a terrible loss, my thoughts are with Hans's family, friends, and crew.

As a racing skipper, this kind of accident is my chief concern, especially in those conditions. I don't think you could have asked for a better MOB recovery crew.

I find this poem very appropriate.

I'd rather be the ship that sails
And rides the billow wide and free
Than be the ship that always fails
To leave it's port and go to sea!

I'd rather feel the sting of strife
Where gales are born and tempests roar
Than settle down to useless life
And rot in dry dock on the shore

I'd rather fight some might wave
With honour in supreme command
And fill a last well earneed grave
than die at ease upon the sand

I'd rather drive where storm winds blow
And be the ship that always failed
To make the ports where it would to
Than be the ship that never sails!!

----B. Hancock

#163 War Dog

War Dog

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:08 PM

Dam,Dam,Dam………RIP and condolences to his family.

#164 kidkodine

kidkodine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:Water
    Sailing
    Neruo-
    pharmacology
    Nootropics
    Epsom salt
    Old BMW, and Diesel Benzez
    Wet plate photography
    Text based web sites
    crush on elle...

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:10 PM

Im just numb. So sad. Better to go doing something you loved. Still, so so sad for the family.

#165 robert pronk

robert pronk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:15 PM

RIP Hans. My thoughts are with your wife, daughter, family, friends and teammates...

In respect to what Hmsmweasel wrote. This Winter I attended a freeskiing event where one of the athletes tragically hit a tree and while he has his life, he lost one of his legs. The telemark community banded together to create a paypal fund for him and it was an impressive statement. People from all around the world contributed as brothers and sisters of a fellow athlete/skier/telemark skier and he now has $30K US to help him in this next year as he goes through rehab. The telemark community pales in comparison to the size of the sailing industry, I believe, I would love to see this happen through SA for Petra and their daughter. A number of companies, including myself and the company I represent, donated odds and ends to the fund that were drawn at random for the people who gave their hard earned money for E.J. If you would like to see how this was done... http://www.telemarkt...TeleNews71.html

WCB

I will follow for sure

#166 A Florida Redneck

A Florida Redneck

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:16 PM

Although it is tempting and certainly understandable considering the loss, today is not the day to begin assigning blame or even try to understand why. Today is the day to remember a great sailor, a hero in our eyes, who knew the risks and faced them with bravery every second. Today is the day to ponder this devastating loss and to think of Hans, his family, and shipmates. Sail on, brother. Sail on.

#167 marian

marian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,942 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:19 PM

From Mike Sanderson http://www.bymnews.c.../view/29416/50/

#168 A Florida Redneck

A Florida Redneck

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:25 PM

Class.
Must be particularly hard for the guys on One. So close, yet so far away from their teammates.

#169 SRP

SRP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:36 PM

Class.
Must be particularly hard for the guys on One. So close, yet so far away from their teammates.

Aint't that the truth, talk about feeling helpless.....wishing by sheer will you could transport yourself to the scene to render assistance and not able to. Very hard indeed.

#170 randomanarchist

randomanarchist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:47 PM

I just signed on and am seeing the news. I think that we sometimes forget what heroes these men and women are.

I read about their exploits and see the clips and am awed about what they are doing and tinged with a bit of jealousy as I sit at my desk. But, I forget that they put their bodies and ultimately lives on the line every time the cast off the docklines.

Safety becomes a relative term. You set your limit and push right up to it and often beyond putting your faith in your yacht and your teammates.

The professional experienced crew of ABN AMRO TWO, of which Hans Horrevoets was a member are even more so heroes. Rather than join a team comprised of fellow experienced professionals, they chose to help train the next generation. Helping to put together a team that has been competitive on every leg and has a world record to their credit.

While I toast the memory of Hans as a hero, I mourn the loss of him as a fellow sailor. My condolances to those family, friends and teammates that he leaves behind. May you all find the peace that Hans Horrevoets surely has.

ditto,this is such a huge loss-my thoughts out to his family and friends

#171 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,080 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:50 PM

To go so far along the course, through some of the hardest places to race on the planet and on the final leg, days away from the finish...... :(

#172 EVK4

EVK4

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:55 PM

This tragedy really hit me hard this morning. I remember when I was preparing for my transatlantic sail, I would glibly answer to all those who thought I was crazy that if I was going to die, sailing across an ocean would be the way that I would want to go. But I was 24 with no family then; I can't imagine the grief that his family is feeling right now.

My best wishes and condolences go out to Hans' family.

#173 Muzza

Muzza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:56 PM

My deepest condolences.

#174 apl

apl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:56 PM

So, so sad. My condolences to all.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.

Psalm 107:23-24

#175 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:00 PM

I have admired the ABN2 team from the beginning, shared in their triumph and occasional frustration, and now I share in their sorrow.

It seems that Hans died doing what he loved.

He will clearly live on in the memories and lives of his friends and family, and those the world over who he inspired.

#176 marian

marian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,942 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:07 PM

This tragedy really hit me hard this morning.

Me too. I've never met him, didn't even know much about him, but this news had a profound effect. I've done bugger all today, just what has HAD to be done.
Odd isn't it that most of us here didn't know Hans, don't know each other, yet we seem to be hanging around here, drawing some sort of comfort?

#177 Hank

Hank

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:09 PM

I have no words....................

The flag is at HALF STAFF here in Fallbrok, Ca

"Black Muddy River"
Words by Robert Hunter; music by Jerry Garcia
Copyright Ice Nine Publishing; used by permission.

When the last rose of summer pricks my finger
And the hot sun chills me to the bone
When I can't hear the song for the singer
And I can't tell my pillow from a stone
I will walk alone by the black muddy river
And sing me a song of my own

When the last bolt of sunshine hits the mountain
And the stars start to splatter in the sky
When the moon splits the southwest horizon
With the scream of an eagle on the fly

And listen to the ripples as they moan

Black muddy river
Roll on forever
I don't care how deep or wide
If you got another side
Roll muddy river
Roll muddy river
Black muddy river roll

When it seems like the night will last forever
And there's nothing left to do but count the years
When the strings of my heart start to sever
And stones fall from my eyes instead of tears

And dream me a dream of my own

#178 DSmith

DSmith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:16 PM

Our thoughts are with all those involved.

#179 marian

marian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,942 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:29 PM

Another poignant tribute http://www.bymnews.c.../view/29426/50/

#180 sailingk8

sailingk8

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:42 PM

Just logged it - this is so sad. How tragic for the team and all the crews of VOR. My sympathies and thoughts for Han's family, team and friends.
:(

#181 Riponkites

Riponkites

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:46 PM

Posted Image

Life is about people, not pursuits. (Laurelynn Martin after her NDE)

Daddy will be missed

Peace to the Children. Peace to his wife.

Peace to all who are close.

#182 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Flags will be half-staff in the Maritime Republic of Eastport....

#183 BeerDidClam

BeerDidClam

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • Interests:algebra. pyrotechnics. greyhound racing.

The first rum and coke I drink tonight will be in honor of Hans, and his wife and child.

The second one will be out respect to the crew who were amazing in their efforts to actually find him in those extreme conditions. What seamanship.

The third one will be out of respect to the other boats who turned on a dime...no questions asked to come to the aid of another boat.

well said and seconded.

#184 GoodTimes

GoodTimes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:47 PM

My condolences to the Horrovoets family and the crew of ABN AMRO 2, I cannot begin to say how saddened I am by the losses incurred to the sailing community today. RIP Hans.

#185 Mainsheeter

Mainsheeter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:56 PM

What a terrible loss. We all internally speculate on what went through his mind during those last moments, struggling in rough and cold waters. Rest now, Hans. I'm sure you left a footprint in the lives of those you knew and didn't know... En paz descansa.
This from CNN - Europe webpage....

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (Reuters) -- A Dutch sailor in the Volvo Ocean Race died on Thursday after being swept overboard from the yacht ABN Amro Two, race organizers said.

The Volvo Ocean Race said on its Web site that Hans Horrevoets, 32, was washed overboard early on Thursday as the boat was sailing in five-meter seas some 1,300 miles (2,092 km) off the British coast.

The crew immediately turned the boat around, took the sails down and mounted a search and rescue effort.

Horrevoets was located and lifted back on board.

However, despite the efforts of crew members under the direction of medical advisors to resuscitate him, Horrevoets failed to regain consciousness.

"We are all devastated." said ABN AMRO TWO skipper Sebastien Josse.

The Dutch team said the yacht was no longer racing, but was sailing to finish the seventh leg in Portsmouth and would later decide whether to continue competing.

Horrevoets had been a professional sailor for more than a decade, including as a trimmer and sailmaker aboard BrunelSunergy in the 1997-98 Whitbread Around the World Race, as the Volvo Ocean Race was then known.

Horrevoets had understood the risks of racing.

"Falling from the boat, that's what I see as the biggest danger," he said at one stage.

According to the team, Horrevoets had been trimming the spinnaker sheet when the yacht's bow dug into a wave, sweeping him into the water.

Copyright 2006 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

#186 Wacka Elvis

Wacka Elvis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:01 PM

well said and seconded.

Heard the news this morning and haven't known what to contribute but the above sums it up for me...

RIP Hans

#187 remmie

remmie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Interests:Bow<br />Sailing<br />Girls<br />Computers<br />(in that order)

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:03 PM

Truely sad, condolences especially to his daughter. The one positive light to this is he died doing what he loved.

I can not express how much I feel for his daughter, my heart goes out to her. She will grow up with out her dad, and at some point probably be angry at him for making the choice to be out there. Most of the other people in Jan's life will know about his passion and in many cases understand it; she has not had that chance.

I hope she grows up with people like her Dad so she knows what the passion is like and I truely hope she finds something she is as passionate about to understand it.

For those calling "where's his harness". Seriously, who cares? I doubt he was clipped but you're either a hypocrite or you don't know what you're talking about. Anyone who's been ocean racing has been unclipped, a harness is great but it's simply not effecient and won't be implemented 24/7, it's impractical to do so on a crewed ocean racing boat.

Rgds,

remmie

#188 superanon

superanon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:07 PM

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

#189 marian

marian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,942 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:15 PM

Dee Caffari has crossed the line and become the first woman to sail the "wrong way" round the world.
I have a feeling that Hans would have wanted to be one of the first to say "Well done", so I'm saying it for him.

#190 DEAD MONEY

DEAD MONEY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:26 PM

WCB

My heart goes out to Hans family, this a shocking tragedy. Godspeed to the crew. It is going to very difficult for all for quite a while.

I think it would be a great idea if the ED set up an account/fund/Trust for his family that we all could contribute to.

I don't want to trivialize all our well wishes or sound harsh but the family is really going to need money in the future. I do not know how much or if any life insurance the crew carries but the family is going to need help financially in the future.

#191 sodall2doo

sodall2doo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:32 PM

Through my tears I type RIP Hans

#192 Guest Anarchist Jasper_*

Guest Anarchist Jasper_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:36 PM

Also posted on abn site,

It's a very, very sad thing to happen. Unbelievable. Although he was the oldest one onboard, he was still so young.

My condoleances to his wife, daughter, family and friends and offcourse to the rest of the team.

#193 plaanaa

plaanaa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:40 PM

Two kids here too. I hope his family has the strenght to go through with this, I am very sorry to see news like this. There´s no words.

#194 Smiler

Smiler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:41 PM

God I am such a wuss, tears and all. Glad no-one else is home right now. But have just poured myself a laaaarge drink, kinda need it.

We lost one of our own, who was striving to be the best.

Don't know what else to say.

#195 apexchaser

apexchaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:48 PM

My condolences to his wife, daughter, and expected second child...

And as has already been said, hats off to the heroes on ABN AMRO TWO, for their efforts to recover and resucitate Hans. From reading the descriptions of sea state, weather, and the timeline of events, I can't imagine the conditions and emotions they must've dealt with in the hour it took to find him and get him back onboard, and then after they did recover him, it appears that they performed CPR for about another full hour... (swept overboard @ approx 0215GMT, recovered in "a little over an hour", and then administered CPR until 0420). Heroes.

Again... my thoughts and prayers go out to Hans' family, and the whole ABN AMRO team.

AC

#196 KungFu!

KungFu!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:52 PM

My thoughts are with him and his family(direct and extended).

I can't imagine what his wife is going through, and the poor girl who will grow up fatherless.

Also, the sailors are heroes. Having sailing back in 40 knots of wind to rescue him, and doing CPR for an hour.

This little adventure would be the true definition of hell. I hope they all pull through and get out of this ok.

#197 Kevin

Kevin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:53 PM

All flags at half-mast today in Port AC, Valencia. :mellow:

#198 KHSailor

KHSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:57 PM

My sincere condolences to family, friends, and crew. Rest in peace bro.

-KH

#199 Giles

Giles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:07 PM

J.M.

John Masefield is one of my favorite poets and this one, Sea Fever, is my favorite of his poems. Perfect for the ocassion.

#200 marian

marian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,942 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:14 PM

Cayard is a man of few words, but they say it all http://www.bymnews.c.../view/29428/50/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users