Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:32 AM

The Biz

Leonard Ousted

Larry Leonard, Founder & Managing Partner of Quantum Sail Design Group has been unanimously voted out of his position by the Quantum Board of Directors. Citing "extreme philosophical differences", the move, though rumored for months, still comes as a bit of a shock to those who understand what an integral part of Quantum Sails Leonard was.

We don't know exactly what "extreme philosophical differences" means, and clearly there is a story, but this couldn't have been an easy decision and it remains to be seen if it was a smart one. Anybody know what this is really all about?

09/18/06

#2 JoeS

JoeS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:34 PM

The Biz

Leonard Ousted

Larry Leonard, Founder & Managing Partner of Quantum Sail Design Group has been unanimously voted out of his position by the Quantum Board of Directors. Citing "extreme philosophical differences", the move, though rumored for months, still comes as a bit of a shock to those who understand what an integral part of Quantum Sails Leonard was.

We don't know exactly what "extreme philosophical differences" means, and clearly there is a story, but this couldn't have been an easy decision and it remains to be seen if it was a smart one. Anybody know what this is really all about?

09/18/06

Maybe LL was the one responsible for that Fifth Mode reply in the Quantum Q&A section.

#3 BIAM

BIAM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:46 PM

let me guess.......does it have anything to do with money?

#4 Right Coast

Right Coast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:49 PM

let me guess.......does it have anything to do with money?

That's not a guess, that's a question.

#5 Femme De La Stagg

Femme De La Stagg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:23 PM

The Biz

Leonard Ousted

09/18/06

Does this mean the ads will FINALLY make sense?

#6 The Winner

The Winner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:25 PM

Hey Ed, why don't you ask Larry for an exclusive maybe change your name from Scot to Scoop

#7 OldSchool

OldSchool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:37 PM

Perhaps his partners just got sick to death of Larry talking about his favorite subject...HIMSELF!

The guy is beginning to sound like one of those over-paid NBA stars who talks about himself in the third person.

#8 Jesse Falsone

Jesse Falsone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:05 PM

I'm sure there's a golden parachute in the deal. Maybe North will hire him.

#9 DancingBear

DancingBear

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:06 PM

In March of this year, Larry Leonard received the Maryland International Business Leadership Award for his work turning Quantum into a viable international company based out of Maryland.

http://www.wtci.org/...arryLeonard.php

Interesting that within 6 months he has been ousted by his own board of directors.

#10 RacerChaser

RacerChaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:38 PM

my first response is WTF?

Quantum is Larry Leonard. What the hell are they thinking?

There are lots of SA-ers here who could add some info here! Speak up bitches!

#11 walterbshaffer

walterbshaffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts
  • Interests:Formerly Member No. 9720

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:51 PM

The answer to this question is probably very controversial or very dull and authoritatively held only by those at Quantum Sails who would be unwilling to discuss it themselves until at least for a good period of time has passed.

#12 skippertom

skippertom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:57 PM

I don't get the "philisophical differences" part...... The founder and chair is the main man in the business. He started it, he makes the philosophy of the company. If the board members don't like Larrys philosophy, they can live with it. The board members wouldn't be there if it wasn't for larry.

#13 Right Coast

Right Coast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:57 PM

The answer to this question is probably very controversial or very dull and authoritatively held only by those at Quantum Sails who would be unwilling to discuss it themselves until at least for a good period of time has passed.

You are probably quite right. So, in lieu of the "real" answer, let's just make some shit up

#14 walterbshaffer

walterbshaffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts
  • Interests:Formerly Member No. 9720

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:06 PM

You are probably quite right. So, in lieu of the "real" answer, let's just make some shit up

Thats probably exactly whats going to happen.

#15 hdglightning

hdglightning

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:41 PM

No idea why they did this...though I am going to find out from my friends...but I am not suprised.

The info that I have (from employees) is that Q is really messed up business wise. Granted, the whole sailmaking industry is messed up from a business plan (think airlines...), Quantum with it's ownership structure seems very screwed. This pushes right down to their bottom level management decisions. The stuff I hear about simply does not make sense, from lack of management structure (who really is who's boss) to the companies ownership by comittee. Toss in the big ego owners (DeVoss) and a distributed "BOD" who all have their own agendas and ultimate loyalities (most own lofts or mfgring facilities used by Quantum) and you get a failed setup to begin with.

Larry may be a pain at times, and is definately self promoting...but most pro sailors are! But he did take an Annapolis loft and turn it into the #2 sailmaking company in the world. I would say that LArry's #1 failure was giving away ownership and say in that company as he built it. He probably took on partners in order to build the business, partners that at that time had like minded goals, but later turned out to be contrary.

From what I know of the Annapolis loft, they need a top to bottom overhaul of the mgment. They have great employees, and great people, but the "Peter principle" is in full effect. Many if not all of the employees/managers there have risen to their level of incompetance. A little humility and overhauling is in order...perhaps this is the start of it.

And...this is not to be negative to Quantum in any way...nor to my buds that work there! It happens at the best companies, and the worst...and trust me, I work in the business of restructuring IT management, so I know that Q is far from the worst.

The Biz

Leonard Ousted

09/18/06

#16 DancingBear

DancingBear

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:03 PM

From what I know of the Annapolis loft, they need a top to bottom overhaul of the mgment. They have great employees, and great people, but the "Peter principle" is in full effect. Many if not all of the employees/managers there have risen to their level of incompetance. A little humility and overhauling is in order...perhaps this is the start of it.

Isn't the Annapolis loft owned by Larry? His being ousted from the Quantum Design Group should not affect his ownership in the Annapolis loft. Not sure how his ousting is going to make any difference in the Annapolis loft.

#17 Thanatos

Thanatos

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:08 PM

I think some guy named Lowel North used to work at North Sails a while ago.
They seam to have done ok without him.
Nothing against Larry, of course.
They will work it out.

#18 SwampFox

SwampFox

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:13 PM

awhile ago i asked larry what he thought of the franchise structure at quantum during his chat here at sa. he said it was flawed but i don't think he elaborated. hey ed, did you ever transcribe the discussion i can't find it in the archive?

#19 HSG

HSG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:34 PM

It happens every day in corporate America. A founding CEO/Board Chair is terminated for failing to maitain productive relationships and stay in touch with the other directors and members.

Depending on how the Operating Agreement and/or Shareholder Agreement of Quantum Sail Design Group, LLC is written, Larry will either maintain a substantial memership interest (shares) or the event will trigger a right or obligation of the Co. to buy him out at a predetermined price (event of disassociation). I cannot imagine Quantum has the funds to buy him out, so it must be the first. He is now an ousted CEO/Director with a substantial investment in the Co. (but no control over operations). I am certain (if it was not an amicable parting) that Larry is consulting an attorney on his rights with regards to the event and future rigths as a substantial shareholder. It would be interesting to review the corporate documents of Quantum. From reading the website, it appears to be a membership structure with four equal partners at the top. My guess would be the lofts are indepedent companies with licensing, franchise or marketing agreements in place with Quantum Sail Design Group. It raises many interesting questions regarding the ownership structure and rights of the members. The relationship must have gone down hill fast for such a drastic action by the other members.

#20 1sailor

1sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts
  • Interests:'SuperFly' Audi / Melges 20

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:38 PM

The answer to the question is probably the DeVos family.

Who happen to be the most generous people in the sport, in the business world to their employees, and particularly here in west michigan through zillions of philanthropic causes. I can say with confidence that Larry musta screwed something up big, as the DeVos family is not predatory or would have manipulated a vote for a (relatively) small financial gain. This is a small "hobby" company for them.

When Larry sold membership interests to investors, he sold voting rights as well. The investors are voting with their checkbooks, rightfully as they should.

#21 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,139 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:49 PM

Wow, this is a shock. My family has known Larry for years, going back to my old man racing against him in morc, and he's sailed with us countless times over the years. He came and visited us at screwpile this year, and had no mention of anything like this in the works. He's definitely rubbed a few people the wrong way over the years, but if you know him on a personal level, you would know that he's really a great guy. He also managed to build the 2nd largest sail company in the world basically from scratch. I definitely intend to get his side of the story from this

#22 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:58 PM

Interesting to note also (can finally talk about this!) that Bruce Anson, COO of their primary manufacturing facility in Malaysia (Quantum Structural Membranes) and co-developer with LL of the Fusion "M" product resigned over a month ago. He now runs North's SE Asian sales unit and has just set-up a North repair facility in Langkawi, Malaysia.

He did the last two regattas with us and seems cool with the whole situation (and still owns a big share of the Q mfg biz in Malaysia... who knows how that is gonna pan out!).

#23 Tom

Tom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:42 PM

From what I have heard, Larry's position in the company has been in question for several years now. It seems he is more intersted in doing what he does best. Designing, Selling, and Sailing. Not runnning a $25+million a year company. Sailmakers have never been known to run a company as good as they can sail.

#24 Skull & Bones

Skull & Bones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:44 PM

I didn't realize that DeVos was involved with Quantum. Go Qindquest.......

#25 hdglightning

hdglightning

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:30 AM

Wanted to clarify some things about my post...it was unwantedly negative to Quantum and Larry! Both of which I think are top notch.

Peter principle - Long ago it was found that people elevated in their company for doing a good job. So they were competant at their job. Hence...they got promoted. But why would they stop being promoted? Well, the main reason is that they no longer could do their job 100%. Hence their "incompetence". It is not meant to be negative!!!! It is just a fact.

Looking and talking to some Q folks, this appears to be in effect. We have quality people, nice perfectly competant people, who are just out of their element! Larry in some way could actually be one of these people! HE did a GREAT job taking a loft and building a company...but is he a top nothc CEO? Or is he a sailmaker/business man who started a huge company? The latter I think. So did he rise to the point where he was out of his element? Perhaps...perhaps not. But it appears so.

I did not mean it to be negative in any way...business decisions and the like should never be personal. I do feel that Quantum needs to take a hard look at their structure, how they are using people, etc...and make some changes. PErhaps someone is, and this is the start. But there are a lot of things that any company can do better, and Q is one of them. Not personal, just business. That's why lots of people are in business...helping companies get over this. I do it for IT departments...but the same stuff applies elsewhere.

So if I offended some Q guys...did not mean to! I think it ultimately will be a bad decision for Larry to be gone, though perhaps they can move him into a role that better serves his talents. A marketing/sales job is really what he does best, and losing him in that market will lose a lot of top boat sales.

No idea why they did this...though I am going to find out from my friends...but I am not suprised.

The info that I have (from employees) is that Q is really messed up business wise. Granted, the whole sailmaking industry is messed up from a business plan (think airlines...), Quantum with it's ownership structure seems very screwed. This pushes right down to their bottom level management decisions. The stuff I hear about simply does not make sense, from lack of management structure (who really is who's boss) to the companies ownership by comittee. Toss in the big ego owners (DeVoss) and a distributed "BOD" who all have their own agendas and ultimate loyalities (most own lofts or mfgring facilities used by Quantum) and you get a failed setup to begin with.

Larry may be a pain at times, and is definately self promoting...but most pro sailors are! But he did take an Annapolis loft and turn it into the #2 sailmaking company in the world. I would say that LArry's #1 failure was giving away ownership and say in that company as he built it. He probably took on partners in order to build the business, partners that at that time had like minded goals, but later turned out to be contrary.

And...this is not to be negative to Quantum in any way...nor to my buds that work there! It happens at the best companies, and the worst...and trust me, I work in the business of restructuring IT management, so I know that Q is far from the worst.

#26 CheapSeats

CheapSeats

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:52 AM

Just a question for all the armchair sailors, did Larry found and fund solo QSDG? or did he have 3 other partners?

Did Larry own all the equity in QSDG? or was it split amongst 4 partners and other investors?

Was Larry therefore the only say/voice of direction in the company?

Just a question....

#27 jsmin

jsmin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:21 AM

i heard he lost an opti race with peter conrad and whoever lost had to bail on their company

#28 Guest Anarchist mojo risin'_*

Guest Anarchist mojo risin'_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:24 AM

Larry Leonard's a solid guy who started Quantum with a vision for success that has prevailed.

Quantum Sails and Larry Leonard deserve our support right now. They still make fast sails and have a great staff of professionals on their roster, many of whom I call my friends.

None of you, unless you are close friends of anyone on the inside will probably ever know the intricate details of this issue, so let's not speculate and run the risk of tarnishing the superlative reputation of Larry Leonard or Quantum Sails.

#29 Guest Anarchist fuller_*

Guest Anarchist fuller_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:06 PM

Larry Leonard's a solid guy who started Quantum with a vision for success that has prevailed.

Quantum Sails and Larry Leonard deserve our support right now. They still make fast sails and have a great staff of professionals on their roster, many of whom I call my friends.

None of you, unless you are close friends of anyone on the inside will probably ever know the intricate details of this issue, so let's not speculate and run the risk of tarnishing the superlative reputation of Larry Leonard or Quantum Sails.

not trying to bash larry or Q, but, isn't that what we do here?

#30 Garbo

Garbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:55 PM

I like him and he's done a good job w/Qsails, Larry good luck with the future if you see this, cheers-

#31 Guest Anarchist DacronMind_*

Guest Anarchist DacronMind_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:33 PM

Ed, what did you hear that led you to believe the BOD dismissed him?

So any NEW news on this subject? I see someone started a new thread saying that Heffo from Dublin may be taking the lead position. Is this true and if so, who is Heffo and why would they pick him?

CURIOUS ...

#32 spoilsport

spoilsport

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:38 PM

I hear co-directors weren't too happy with Russell Coutts sailing a North Sails Farr 40 to victory in the recent worlds !

#33 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,139 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:49 AM

Here's the preliminary info on this situation, since Larry's in Sardinia right now. I 'm sure we'll speak to him sometime in the near future when he returns and get the full scoop. Just as a background from some that have asked, Larry started Q. by himself. Looking for capital for expansion, development, etc. he took on two partners, which was the Quantum most of us were familiar w/. A couple years ago, however, the financial crunch was on, which brought DeVoss into the equation. In order to secure that though, Larry had to give up all his voting shares. Apparently there's been quite a bit of friction this past year, leading up to a meeting recently which Larry walked out of. After that whole deal is apparently where he was voted out, but giving his remaining salary and benifits through the end of the year. I 'd like to reiterate this is still second hand info at this point, being Larry isn't around, so take it with a grain of salt. It was definitely a suprise to me, as I've said before, since I just saw him at screwpile and nothing seemed amiss. Larry is a great guy, and I hope that all works out for him

#34 CheapSeats

CheapSeats

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:05 AM

Doghouse - don't think you have your facts quite right, although I'm sure they are reflective of Larry's version of events. What does ring true in your accounting is that voting shares certainly had a say - as is normal.... Not dissin' Larry here, good designer, visionary, sailor, etc. The reality is that when you are not the sole owner, others have a say, that was something that just wasn't very digestable for him. Unfortunate, but not uncommon. Happens every day, brilliant founder/visionary starts a concept, brings in some money - not much, things go well, then world events get in the way, like cost to mfgr., competition, currency, etc. and what gets to be most important at that point is making business decisions, as hard as they may be, to keep the company 1) afloat 2) growing. That is what he had problems with. He didn't do well with the 'wind shifts' of the industry and pretty much chose to ignore them and do his own thing. Which didn't go down well with the equity holders.

#35 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:48 AM

I think some guy named Lowel North used to work at North Sails a while ago.
They seam to have done ok without him.

great so now another corporate North awaits us.
At least Q seemed an upstart and fresh Co.

#36 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,139 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:32 AM

Doghouse - don't think you have your facts quite right, although I'm sure they are reflective of Larry's version of events. What does ring true in your accounting is that voting shares certainly had a say - as is normal.... Not dissin' Larry here, good designer, visionary, sailor, etc. The reality is that when you are not the sole owner, others have a say, that was something that just wasn't very digestable for him. Unfortunate, but not uncommon. Happens every day, brilliant founder/visionary starts a concept, brings in some money - not much, things go well, then world events get in the way, like cost to mfgr., competition, currency, etc. and what gets to be most important at that point is making business decisions, as hard as they may be, to keep the company 1) afloat 2) growing. That is what he had problems with. He didn't do well with the 'wind shifts' of the industry and pretty much chose to ignore them and do his own thing. Which didn't go down well with the equity holders.

I didn't say anything that would contradict what you said, those pretty much are the reasons he was forced out. Like I said, I haven't spoken to Larry yet so I don't know his version of the facts. He had no ownership at the end, he was just CEO, and the voting partners felt he should go after the aforementioned meeting. My facts are quite straight

#37 Guest Anarchist henryhill2_*

Guest Anarchist henryhill2_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:47 PM

Never met anyone interesting or honest that did not piss people off from time to time.

Keep at it Larry

#38 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:17 PM

Quantum Sails and Larry Leonard deserve our support right now.

Support? Puh-leeze. A sailmaker earns my business by offering the best product at the best price. Support is for wives, kids and charities. Everybody else has to earn their way into my wallet.

#39 Guest Anarchist abbohunter_*

Guest Anarchist abbohunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:23 PM

That's not a guess, that's a question.

Maybe too many corporate owned toys; tangible and touchable of and for the female gender? Seems to go with being an owner in the sailmaking world?

#40 Fast14

Fast14

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:53 AM

Maybe too many corporate owned toys; tangible and touchable of and for the female gender? Seems to go with being an owner in the sailmaking world?

???????????????????????????????????

#41 Ren

Ren

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:36 PM

???????????????????????????????????

I think Google Translator fucked that one up :P

#42 Drunken S2upor

Drunken S2upor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:41 PM

You are an ass. This is a really stupid thing to say.

#43 Ren

Ren

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:53 PM

You are an ass. This is a really stupid thing to say.

The dude's screen name is abbohunter and it was his first post. I don't think we're dealing with the cream of the crop here

#44 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts
  • Interests:brighton & solent

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:11 PM

RC, that's bloody funny

says it all really...

J

#45 sailmc

sailmc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:37 PM

You guys are making me sweat. I made a huge downpayment on some Fusion M's and haven heard from my saleman for a while.

#46 Ren

Ren

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:49 PM

You guys are making me sweat. I made a huge downpayment on some Fusion M's and haven heard from my saleman for a while.

who's your salesman?

#47 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 10:47 PM

I know what happened to your dude.... it involved a policeman, some registered mail, and now a bicycle.

DG

#48 GABA

GABA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:27 PM

After reading the spin control press release posted by the Ed on the front page, it starts to sound like Ed Reynolds led a coup.

Any chance he got the idea from watching the coup in Thailand last week?

Did Larry Leonard leave the loft to go to the UN meeting?

#49 Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • Interests:N/A

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:41 PM

Ed, what did you hear that led you to believe the BOD dismissed him?
So any NEW news on this subject? I see someone started a new thread saying that Heffo from Dublin may be taking the lead position. Is this true and if so, who is Heffo and why would they pick him?

CURIOUS ...

Can you imagine Farley running the company...

#50 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:14 PM

I know he's a real person and good sailor and all, but what kind of name is Farley Fontenot?

#51 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:28 PM

I know he's a real person and good sailor and all, but what kind of name is Farley Fontenot?

If I owned a bed and breakfast in Newport R.I., I would call it the Farley Fontenot.

DG

#52 fan

fan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:31 PM

After reading the spin control press release posted by the Ed on the front page, it starts to sound like Ed Reynolds led a coup.

Any chance he got the idea from watching the coup in Thailand last week?

Did Larry Leonard leave the loft to go to the UN meeting?

To be honest I would not be in the slightest bit suprised if Ed Reynolds was behind all this. He tends to be a behind the scene manipulator. Just my $.02

#53 Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:53 PM

To be honest I would not be in the slightest bit suprised if Ed Reynolds was behind all this. He tends to be a behind the scene manipulator. Just my $.02

I worked for Ed for a number of years and the idea that Ed led a coup is clearly bullshit. Besides, he has been president for the last year so he is clearly not working behind the scenes as fan seems to think.

Sounds to me like the business outgrew where Larry wanted it to go.

Regards,
MS

#54 fan

fan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:22 PM

As I said just my $.02. Maybe not "coup" but I don't know how else they would oust Larry without him knowing if everything was above boards. I'm done posting as I like Quantum and their product and quite frankly don't care whos name is on the letterhead so to speak.

#55 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,647 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:14 PM

Interesting to note that "International Boat Industry" the long standing and pretty serious business magazine refers to SA in their analysis of Leonard's outing, published today :

Quantum Sail founder's departure sends shock waves through sailing community

By IBI Magazine/Michael Verdon

The ouster of managing partner Larry Leonard from Quantum Sail Design Group has set sailing chat rooms ablaze with alternating indignation, remorse and speculation.

Quantum sent out a release last week saying that Larry Leonard is "stepping down and relinquishing his role in the day-to-day operations of the company," but will continue to be a minority share holder in the company.

Leonard, who founded Quantum in 1996 with five employees and a single loft in Annapolis, Maryland, said he was forced out. "I received this surprise news via letter and have been given no plausible cause or explanation for it," Leonard said in a September 25 statement. "To add insult to injury, Quantum's new management and majority shareholders have refused to meet with me to discuss their action or my continuing role as a member of the company going forward."

"This was a very difficult decision," said Ed Reynolds, Quantum president and a founding partner, in a second Quantum release issued September 27th. "Over the past three years our structure has changed from a collection of sole proprietorships to a unified, global corporate entity. Quite simply, we have been unable to come up with a way to redefine Larry's role within the company that is acceptable to all parties."

According to a story in the Annapolis Capital, Quantum's corporate structure changed dramatically when Leonard sold controlling interest to Doug DeVos of Grand Rapids, Michigan, in 2005. "Industry sources" told the paper that DeVos and Farley Fontenot approved the firing of Leonard.

"We acknowledge and appreciate all the contributions Larry has made in helping create the Quantum Sail Design Group," said Fontenot, a Quantum co-founder, in the statement. "It is due in part to his original vision that we owe the strength of our current position. Quantum has gone through a period of unprecedented growth and is today enjoying a period of financial and market success that would have been impossible without the groundwork he helped lay."

The company is the second-largest sailmaker in the world, with more than 60 locations in 22 countries, and according to The Capital, it has revenues of US$20-30 million.

The news sent chat rooms like those on www.sailinganarchy.com ablaze with postings from racing sailors who regard Leonard as something of a sailmaking guru. "Larry Leonard is Quantum," wrote one sailor, setting the tone for the dozens of postings that followed.

Quantum marketing director Dave Flynn, senior designer Per Andersson, operations manager Doug Stewart and veteran salesman Tad Hutchins all started with Leonard when he was an affiliate of Sobstad Sailmakers. "This whole thing is a bit of a shock to all of us," Flynn told The Capital. "We have all worked very closely with Larry for many, many years and he is our friend."

Leonard started as a sailmaker in 1976 using slide rules and cutting fabric by hand.

"Larry Leonard is the consummate sailmaker. He has an innate ability to get on a boat, look at a sail and immediately figure out how to make the sail work better and the boat go faster," Flynn told the paper. "Everyone in the industry has great respect for his abilities as a pure sailmaker."

Leonard did not return IBI's calls by press time for comment.

#56 OldSchool

OldSchool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:21 PM

Shock Waves??

More like a collective yawn!

#57 Chill Town

Chill Town

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:42 AM

Shock Waves??

More like a collective yawn!

Well stated OldSchool– not much of a response at all considering.

The collective yawn will turn into muted disgust if we have to hear another dysfunctional outburst from this ugly divorce.

#58 cove

cove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:40 AM

the rebuttle from Larry direct from Scuttlebutt

CORRECTING THE RECORD- Larry Leonard
A recent press release distributed by Quantum Sail Design Group painted
an inaccurate picture of the events surrounding my separation from the
company. It said that "Larry Leonard is stepping down and relinquishing
his role in the day to day operations of the company." This is simply
untrue. I received the surprise news of my termination via letter
without warning, and would never have dreamed of stepping down from the
company I founded 10 years ago.

The press release featured another confusing statement that I will
"continue to be a minority shareholder" in the company. To set the
record straight, I am the largest shareholder of Class A stock in
Quantum. Doug DeVos, as the company's largest investor, is the sole
shareholder of Class B stock and owns a controlling interest in the
company.

As of today, I have yet to receive a plausible explanation for being
fired, and my requests to meet with Quantum's remaining three partners
have been rejected. In addition, my many friends and associates in the
sailing community have received vague answers and negative innuendo from
company representatives about my departure.

While it's no fun defending my reputation, these inaccuracies by the
company must be refuted. My heartfelt appreciation goes out to the
hundreds of people from around the world who have called and written
with their support. It's been a great source of comfort for me and my
family in these difficult times. I look forward to seeing my many
friends at this week's U.S. Sailboat Show in my hometown of Annapolis.

Interesting to note that "International Boat Industry" the long standing and pretty serious business magazine refers to SA in their analysis of Leonard's outing, published today :

Quantum Sail founder's departure sends shock waves through sailing community

By IBI Magazine/Michael Verdon

The ouster of managing partner Larry Leonard from Quantum Sail Design Group has set sailing chat rooms ablaze with alternating indignation, remorse and speculation.

Quantum sent out a release last week saying that Larry Leonard is "stepping down and relinquishing his role in the day-to-day operations of the company," but will continue to be a minority share holder in the company.

Leonard, who founded Quantum in 1996 with five employees and a single loft in Annapolis, Maryland, said he was forced out. "I received this surprise news via letter and have been given no plausible cause or explanation for it," Leonard said in a September 25 statement. "To add insult to injury, Quantum's new management and majority shareholders have refused to meet with me to discuss their action or my continuing role as a member of the company going forward."

"This was a very difficult decision," said Ed Reynolds, Quantum president and a founding partner, in a second Quantum release issued September 27th. "Over the past three years our structure has changed from a collection of sole proprietorships to a unified, global corporate entity. Quite simply, we have been unable to come up with a way to redefine Larry's role within the company that is acceptable to all parties."

According to a story in the Annapolis Capital, Quantum's corporate structure changed dramatically when Leonard sold controlling interest to Doug DeVos of Grand Rapids, Michigan, in 2005. "Industry sources" told the paper that DeVos and Farley Fontenot approved the firing of Leonard.

"We acknowledge and appreciate all the contributions Larry has made in helping create the Quantum Sail Design Group," said Fontenot, a Quantum co-founder, in the statement. "It is due in part to his original vision that we owe the strength of our current position. Quantum has gone through a period of unprecedented growth and is today enjoying a period of financial and market success that would have been impossible without the groundwork he helped lay."

The company is the second-largest sailmaker in the world, with more than 60 locations in 22 countries, and according to The Capital, it has revenues of US$20-30 million.

The news sent chat rooms like those on www.sailinganarchy.com ablaze with postings from racing sailors who regard Leonard as something of a sailmaking guru. "Larry Leonard is Quantum," wrote one sailor, setting the tone for the dozens of postings that followed.

Quantum marketing director Dave Flynn, senior designer Per Andersson, operations manager Doug Stewart and veteran salesman Tad Hutchins all started with Leonard when he was an affiliate of Sobstad Sailmakers. "This whole thing is a bit of a shock to all of us," Flynn told The Capital. "We have all worked very closely with Larry for many, many years and he is our friend."

Leonard started as a sailmaker in 1976 using slide rules and cutting fabric by hand.

"Larry Leonard is the consummate sailmaker. He has an innate ability to get on a boat, look at a sail and immediately figure out how to make the sail work better and the boat go faster," Flynn told the paper. "Everyone in the industry has great respect for his abilities as a pure sailmaker."

Leonard did not return IBI's calls by press time for comment.

#59 fan

fan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:09 PM

I worked for Ed for a number of years and the idea that Ed led a coup is clearly bullshit. Besides, he has been president for the last year so he is clearly not working behind the scenes as fan seems to think.

Sounds to me like the business outgrew where Larry wanted it to go.

Regards,
MS

Your right it appears more and more that everything was done above board and there was no behind the scenes bullshit going on. My bad.

#60 FatGuyInLittleBoat

FatGuyInLittleBoat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:39 PM

Heard he stormed out of a board meeting, reason not divulged. Before the door had completely shut his fate was sealed by unanimous vote.

I just read the whole lawsuit complaint and the pieces don't add up. Essentially the suit says that LI still owns the trademarks and that Quantum was only licensing them. At some point Quantum said that doesn't work and filed (forged?) paper work to transfer ownerhsip to Quantum.

When DeVos acquired a controlling interest in Quantum, why wouldn't he have also acquired the trademarks then. That seems like mergers and acquisition 101 to me...

#61 Thanatos

Thanatos

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:18 PM

Brings new meaning to: "Anticipate the Shift"
Can't wait for the dueling handwriting experts.
Peanuts, Popcorn and a big gulp for me...

#62 oldskool

oldskool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:21 PM

So what happens if Larry wins, does Q have to change its name to "Malaysian sail Design group"?

#63 Iceman

Iceman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:23 PM

I just read the whole lawsuit complaint and the pieces don't add up. Essentially the suit says that LI still owns the trademarks and that Quantum was only licensing them. At some point Quantum said that doesn't work and filed (forged?) paper work to transfer ownerhsip to Quantum.

When DeVos acquired a controlling interest in Quantum, why wouldn't he have also acquired the trademarks then. That seems like mergers and acquisition 101 to me...

The Devos's contributed capitol for stock. There was no aquisition. Hence no due diligence. Assumptions may have been made. I guess it will all come out in the courtroom.

Good times!!

#64 oldskool

oldskool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:35 PM

Why every time a post comes out we have to get some ass clown named OLDSKOOL chiming in with his two cents on the subject? Everyone who knows him knows he is a half assed industry wanna-be poser who thinks he's some kind of rock star sailing with shitty J-30 and J24 "teams". Why dont you do us all a favor and stop sucking Alan Drews cock and "bugger off"...your not even Brititsh and just for the record DIME BAG SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, dude you're a total wank. It's nice to know that you know what I did about 4 years ago. obviously I could totally care less about this whole thing. I'm out of the industry, so it isn't really my problem. The guys that work at quantum know what the deal is with this thing and I was just trying to add some color to see if anyone really knows what would happen to the name/trademarks etc. Just for the record, coming out on a first post as a hater....who's the real ass clown...prick!

#65 Pikey

Pikey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

the sailing worlds OJ simpson case?!!

will be interesting to watch - going to damage the quantum/what ever they are called, business either way

#66 FatGuyInLittleBoat

FatGuyInLittleBoat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 02:14 PM

The Devos's contributed capitol for stock. There was no aquisition. Hence no due diligence. Assumptions may have been made. I guess it will all come out in the courtroom.

Good times!!

I just can't believe somebody would contribute that much money, take a leadership position, and not understand the trademark ownership. There must have been some weighty assumptions made.

#67 Phoenix

Phoenix

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:02 PM

At this point I feel more for the people at Quantum who are trying to continue to make great products and get an honest days pay for their work. I have been a customer for about 10 years. In that time I have been totally satisfied with all my dealings with everyone.

I wish the two parts of this shit fight could be separated. Leave the working stiffs alone and let the guys at the top fight it out. A steel cage match would at least raise some money that could be donated to a worthy cause. I don't know who's right and who's wrong. A corporate pissing contest in the sailmaking industry isn't even new. this is just the latest one. The problem is that the guys that have been manufacturing quality products and working their asses off are the ones who will potentially get hurt the worst.

That's just not right.

#68 Ren

Ren

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:08 PM

At this point I feel more for the people at Quantum who are trying to continue to make great products and get an honest days pay for their work. I have been a customer for about 10 years. In that time I have been totally satisfied with all my dealings with everyone.

I wish the two parts of this shit fight could be separated. Leave the working stiffs alone and let the guys at the top fight it out. A steel cage match would at least raise some money that could be donated to a worthy cause. I don't know who's right and who's wrong. A corporate pissing contest in the sailmaking industry isn't even new. this is just the latest one. The problem is that the guys that have been manufacturing quality products and working their asses off are the ones who will potentially get hurt the worst.

That's just not right.

If Larry cared about that he would stop sending these documents to Tempesta..........

#69 Skull & Bones

Skull & Bones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:11 PM

Any new news about this yet?

#70 ease hike trim

ease hike trim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:07 PM

Anyone could have gotten the paperwork with a quick phone call.

#71 hdglightning

hdglightning

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:27 PM

Ok...simple situation, though more complex finish.

Larry owned his company and when Quantum was formed, he also owned the trademarks. The orig partners owned the company with him, but not the trademarks. This is farily common, many companies have this situation. Actually it is preferred in many ways because the "brand" is not necessarially tied to the success of the company.

As some point, Larry and Quantum overexpanded and got into a hole. They needed capital, and DeVos stepped in. They took a huge chunk of ownership in return for the $$$. Again, that was in Quantum, not the the brand/trademark. After a period of time Larry was ousted because the people involved in the company felt that Larry took too large of a salary for his position, and they disagreed with his direction of the company. Sucks...happens all the time in business. Unfortunately, that is big business, and when you get involved with folks like the DeVos clan, you are going to get screwed in some way. They are not exactly known for the "up and up" business practices.

Now...there still leaves a number of issues on the table.
- building ownership. The building and property in Annapolis was owned by Larry until at some time the Quantum "corporation" took it over. He also owned the franchise for that area as well. Both of these issues are issues that need to be resolved because that "ownership" is still an outstanding issue. Larry still "owns" part of Quantum, regardless of his position as an employee.
- Trademark. Again, is the Quantum name (and indirectly the Q) owned by Larry? If it was forged then not only is this a civil issue, but a criminal issue as well. Plus, who would sell anything for $1 or 10 Sterling? No one! The ownership of the trademark is leverage, and leverage = money. Simple. What was given to Larry in compensation for this? $1? Sounds fishy to me. That is...unless Larry really is that stuipd! I don't see it.

Quantum has some serious issues. From the outside they appear to have some big problems, and I can't see their direction being healthy. Firing your best salesman just cannot be a good thing in any manner or form! Plus there was plenty of other indications of poor management fritting around.

Personally I think Quantum needs to get their shit together, or they are not going to be holding on to that #2 spot for long...if they are at all any more.

#72 ACk758

ACk758

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:36 PM

Wow... a lucid, well thought out post. What's that doing here?

#73 The Winner

The Winner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:47 PM

#2 I don't think that they were ever #2 except in there own minds . Market studies say otherwise

So who is no. 2 in your mind?

#74 CheapSeats

CheapSeats

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:07 PM

lucid and well thought out? I don't think so. Apologist is more like it- and very indicative of a total lack of knowledge of trade and service mark commerce and law. Mr. hdglightning - please 'enlighten' us as to how many trade or service marks you have filed and then advise as to 1) whether or not those marks were filed to be used in commerce as marks for the company for which you work(ed) and 2) in the instance that the marks were personally filed by you prior to their being put into commerce on behalf of the company represented by those marks, please do tell us just what the transfer language entailed and just what the consideration amount was.
And for any of you CFO's or COO's out there, please enlighten us as to how signatures are handled in a multi-million $ company? Is every pay check, purchase order, etc. hand signed??? Is there only one signatory for the company - errr. no I don't think so.

#75 suider

suider

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:59 PM

And for any of you CFO's or COO's out there, please enlighten us as to how signatures are handled in a multi-million $ company? Is every pay check, purchase order, etc. hand signed??? Is there only one signatory for the company - errr. no I don't think so.

surely there is not only one signatory for quantum (obviously)

but if mr. peck (quantum) signed something 'as' mr. leonard (leonard, inc.) after they had split, surely you must see there is a big problem there?

and i would think that with something of this scope, it would not be at all unusual to have the primary signatory (and/or ALL appropriate legal counsel)... it isn't signing over a paycheck--- it's signing over a multi million dollar recogonized and accepted trademark and logo...

/c

#76 Tom

Tom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:23 PM

I AM sure that Larry dose care it was his company for God Sake he had a LOT more than money in it and got the shaft for his efforts

That right there is pure ego talking. The problem with that philosophy is that he could not take them to the next step. The same thing happened in my company. The difference was, my brother and I ousted our father. He could not take us to the next level. And we heard the same sob story. "This is my company and if it wasn't for me, it wouldn't be were it is today." True, but because of you, we can't get were we need to be tomorrow. Sometimes, you just need to realize the company has outgrown you and accept the postion you are offered.

#77 Carrera

Carrera

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:32 PM

lucid and well thought out? I don't think so. Apologist is more like it- and very indicative of a total lack of knowledge of trade and service mark commerce and law. Mr. hdglightning - please 'enlighten' us as to how many trade or service marks you have filed and then advise as to 1) whether or not those marks were filed to be used in commerce as marks for the company for which you work(ed) and 2) in the instance that the marks were personally filed by you prior to their being put into commerce on behalf of the company represented by those marks, please do tell us just what the transfer language entailed and just what the consideration amount was.

For the sake of people reading this thread with an interest in the topic at hand, please don't 'enlighten' us. I'm sure anyone reading this could care less and probably even less about who knows more about copyright/trademark infringement law. Take your pissing match somewhere else.

#78 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,139 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:36 PM

That right there is pure ego talking. The problem with that philosophy is that he could not take them to the next step. The same thing happened in my company. The difference was, my brother and I ousted our father. He could not take us to the next level. And we heard the same sob story. "This is my company and if it wasn't for me, it wouldn't be were it is today." True, but because of you, we can't get were we need to be tomorrow. Sometimes, you just need to realize the company has outgrown you and accept the postion you are offered.

That's rough

#79 Sailor_Buoy

Sailor_Buoy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:37 PM

surely there is not only one signatory for quantum (obviously)

but if mr. peck (quantum) signed something 'as' mr. leonard (leonard, inc.) after they had split, surely you must see there is a big problem there?

and i would think that with something of this scope, it would not be at all unusual to have the primary signatory (and/or ALL appropriate legal counsel)... it isn't signing over a paycheck--- it's signing over a multi million dollar recogonized and accepted trademark and logo...

/c

Agreed. As CFO for a similar sized Canadian co when we have done acquisitions there is usually a couple of signatures and WITNESSES on the docs as well. Usually the directors (who are active in the business) sign and I witness, although in BC the witness can be dispensed with in certain instances with the application of the corporate seal over the signatures. The point here is that were something like this to have happened in this jurisdiction (someone from MD can chime in here....) it would involve some collusion to pull it off. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this one.....

As for paychecks - who the hell actually writes those anymore - direct deposit dude!

SB

#80 Right Coast

Right Coast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:37 PM

Dude, you gave your own dad the boot? You're a prick.

#81 FatGuyInLittleBoat

FatGuyInLittleBoat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:43 PM

Wow...thanksgiving must be a blast at your house.

You sound like a dick.

#82 hdglightning

hdglightning

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:52 PM

CheapSeats,
Obviously you know a lot more about law than anyone else. Painfully obvious by your post, lots of fluff and questions, but not one bit of substance.

To answer your questions.
- I was involved in 2 corp filings for the company that I work for. One was to trademark the name of the company, the other for a product produced by that company (copyright and trademark filings). No I will not name the company or product, that proves and serves nothing. In both cases the trademark and copyrights were held by the parent company, and the wholly owned subsidiary (single owner, but multiple employees) licensed the name and product rights. Both companies were 100% owned by one person (same person) but each entity was separate and legally kept as such. After this time several employed purchased company #2 (the working company) and continued the production of the product in that company. The trademark and copyrights were never transferred, and to this day both are still owned 100% by the orig owner, with a long term agreement to the other company as to the use and payment for the rights.

- As to signatures. I am the CIO of the company above, so I know a bit about this (plus the work we do actually has us helping companies with paychecks and other accounting needs, so I see this all the time). Signatures such as paychecks can be "rubber stamped". But all involve an initial agreement and ACTUAL signature by the responsible party to initiate the "rights" to that stamp. For a company such as ADP, this is done during the initial setup of the agreement. For someone like a secretary of the CEO, this is something that can only be done with "explicit permission" and normally by one person only. There is a huge liability/ability for fraud in these cases, so things like this are generally closely monitored.

So, to get to the actual situation for Quantum and Mr Leonard. He is accusing Quantum (Peck) of forging his signature. Simple. Without his signature the trademark cannot be transferred. This type of thing has to be signed in person, not rubber stamped or signed in absentia. So LARRY would have had to sign the document. No one at Quantum would have had the rights to sign away things they did not own. Simple. Also, if Quantum and Larry had come to a previous agreement as to those rights during the creation of Quantum or the future changes in corp structure, again it would have still had to have been LARRY signing the document, not Quantum/Peck as Mr Leonard is the owner of LI (or LM).

CheapSeats, I assume you are either a lawyer, or a Quantum employee. Either way, fuck off. You simply accuse me of a "lack of knowledge", yet you do not add anything to substantiate how wrong I am. You simply attack me, which is the typical way for someone to react when they DON'T KNOW SHIT. So, step up to the plate, tell me why I am wrong, or better yet, tell us why the lawsuit is wrong, and perhaps we can all learn something. But until then you can go sit in the cheap seats with the rest of the know it alls who simply don't have a clue.

#83 dain bramage

dain bramage

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:56 PM

What a load of horse shit.

The only ego I see talking here is YOU! Please take your immaturity and challenged ego and go elsewhere.

#84 Tom

Tom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Dude, you gave your own dad the boot? You're a prick.

He still retained his % of ownership, was just taken out of a postition of making decisions. We are coming up on the 6th anniversary of his forced retirement, and he is making more than twice what he made while he was in control and doesn't have the stress of running the company. Every now and then, he will chime in and try to give his advice and we just humor him and go about our plan. There comes a point were your are not the company.

#85 DC/Chicago

DC/Chicago

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

I am sure your dad saw the writing on the wall when he paid for yours and your brother's education.
Cool man.
Class act

#86 Tom

Tom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:04 PM

I am sure your dad saw the writing on the wall when he paid for yours and your brother's education.
Cool man.
Class act

By that comment, I take it you have worked, still work and will always work for someone else. It is an understatement to say that running a company is not easy. But tthe decision we made effected the 60+ employees and their families. So yeah, I guess I am a class act when I put the old man out to pasture to make more money with less stress and be able to provide more for my employees. Now I am able to offer better insurance, a 1-1 matching 401k, profit sharing, and other programs that weren't around while my dad was in control. So yeah, I am a Class Act!

#87 jdougherty

jdougherty

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:06 PM

Hey Tom, I’m sure you are a nice guy but you really should reword your original post.

#88 CheapSeats

CheapSeats

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:25 PM

Signatures such as paychecks can be "rubber stamped". But all involve an initial agreement and ACTUAL signature by the responsible party to initiate the "rights" to that stamp. For a company such as ADP, this is done during the initial setup of the agreement. For someone like a secretary of the CEO, this is something that can only be done with "explicit permission" and normally by one person only. There is a huge liability/ability for fraud in these cases, so things like this are generally closely monitored

. Bingo. As my earlier post indicated, they would have had multiple signatories, and a signatory policy. See - we agree.

CheapSeats, I assume you are either a lawyer, or a Quantum employee

. Sorry, neither. I have however created and filed on behalf of companies many service and trademarks - some contested, some not. And have also filed for trade and/or service marks to be sold/assigned. The USPTO's web site provides quite detailed records on such matters. Here's the TARR record from which you can toggle into the assignment. Both parties to the assignment would have been notified. http://tarr.uspto.go...;entry=75095237
and the only registrant/owner of the Q mark was/is QSDG : http://tarr.uspto.go...;entry=78650054

#89 Bort

Bort

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:39 PM

By that comment, I take it you have worked, still work and will always work for someone else. It is an understatement to say that running a company is not easy. But tthe decision we made effected the 60+ employees and their families. So yeah, I guess I am a class act when I put the old man out to pasture to make more money with less stress and be able to provide more for my employees. Now I am able to offer better insurance, a 1-1 matching 401k, profit sharing, and other programs that weren't around while my dad was in control. So yeah, I am a Class Act!

Wow, douche.

You don't know DC, I'll take it.

#90 Alaris

Alaris

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:00 PM

Wow, you're a piece of shit. I would never do such a thing to my father, regardless of how much he was "holding me back".

#91 tls

tls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:07 PM

The USPTO's web site provides quite detailed records on such matters. Here's the TARR record from which you can toggle into the assignment. Both parties to the assignment would have been notified. http://tarr.uspto.go...;entry=75095237
and the only registrant/owner of the Q mark was/is QSDG : http://tarr.uspto.go...;entry=78650054

I don't know much about trademark registration law, so correct me if I am wrong in my interpretation of these records...

The stylized Q is, and has always been, property of the QSDG, LLC. The name Quantum for use in the manufacture and sale of sails was successfully registered by Leonard, Inc in 2000, however all rights to the name were transfered to QSDG on July, 5th 2005 (perhaps after a Independence day bender?). When that transfer occurred both QSDG and Leonard, Inc were notified of the change at their addresses of record (and their Attorney of record?).

Leonard was fired from his position in late 2006 (more than a year after the assignment of the tm to QSDG), but maintained a significant financial stake in the company. Several months after that, he sued, claiming that the trademark transfer was fraudulent.

Are those the facts?

#92 DC/Chicago

DC/Chicago

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:10 PM

Tom!!
Be Nice
Let's not make a case of "if you show me yours I will show you mine"
I am just a everyday guy with a 9-5 but I am unemployeed at this time and I am sorry that I came across as trying to get up to your level.

#93 CheapSeats

CheapSeats

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:22 PM

Are those the facts?

yep pretty much. Don't know how 'significant' his equity stake in the company was after the DeVos capitalization.

#94 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:38 PM

If Larry cared about that he would stop sending these documents to Tempesta..........

Wrong. I haven't had any communication with Larry for months.

#95 krispy kreme

krispy kreme

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:59 AM

Oh dear, Larry's not taking his departure well is he. I wonder if he realizes how he besmirches Quantum with each of these 'activities', doh... of course he does. From askance, his 'activities' all bear the marking of 'disgruntled employee', and now a civil suit, not the only one from what I understand.
Taking advantage of a rickety US civil justice system that lacks any reasonable policing of lawyers and unlike other 'western' or better said, monarchly (sic) derived civil justic system, the US civil justice system works on the 'J'accuse' model. In any other country, there'd be an inquest to determine facts prior to lodging a trialable pleading. Unfortunately in this country, you can roll into court and say whatever you want, facts or fiction, and your pleading will be registered and heard. The civil justice system has been functionally dismantled to a point where the majority of pleadings filed are - at best spurious - and the generic outcome is a settlement, simply to defray the costs of bringing such matters to trial - which is the only point in the procedural anarchy of US civil justice where the actual facts are heard. A huge portion of attorneys in the country make their living off this frailty, and the unscrupulous and amoral use it as a means of revenue production.
So Larry's resorted to filing a crap suit, consuming tax paid resources, simply for the settlement. Now that's playing a man card, innit?

#96 Barkley

Barkley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:47 AM

CheapSeats - I'm sorry, but if I only read your first post in this thread I would think you're a giant ass. However, in this post you bring the goods. One question: when switching mortgage providers in Canada a lawyer amends the original charge such that the new provider's name is listed in the place of the original. Any chance this has happened here? If not, looks like Larry is ... mistaken.

Re those slamming Tom, "forced" change of management is surprisingly common in small businesses. Many people who own businesses with 10 employees never get past 10 employees because they simply do not have what it takes to run a company with 50. Personally not sure I'd ever actually force my dad out, but from a purely business perspective I completely understand why it happens.

#97 radman

radman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:14 AM

Nobody seems to remember that Larry Leonard was the "Brains" behind Quantum.

#98 OceanBien

OceanBien

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:53 AM

Just a warning to those who want to grow your business and hire ambitious employees.

#99 Right Coast

Right Coast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:16 PM

Re those slamming Tom, "forced" change of management is surprisingly common in small businesses. Many people who own businesses with 10 employees never get past 10 employees because they simply do not have what it takes to run a company with 50. Personally not sure I'd ever actually force my dad out, but from a purely business perspective I completely understand why it happens.

Then of course there are those who just want to start their own business so they can do their own thing and make a decent living at it, as opposed to become a captain of industry. Not everyone wants to be King of the World.

#100 tls

tls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:16 PM

Nobody seems to remember that Larry Leonard was the "Brains" behind Quantum.

Except as Q has grown it has added quite a few good designers and sailors to its ranks. It is not clear that Larry was still instrumental in developing the intellectual property of Q. I am not trying to be critical, just stating that as it is grown his role has certainly changed. He may not be very good at his new role, and/or not worth his price.

I have no idea why he was forced out, but the fact that he started the company is no reason to force the people who currently own the company to lose a bunch of their money. If you want to maintain complete control of a company you started you simply cannot sell a majority stake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users