• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 #19

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:41 AM

As of late I have been working with Google Earth and overlaying data on the maps. For example waypoints, routes and tracks. Easy enough. Now I have GRIB Weather files working.

right click on and save a Sample KML that can be opened in Google Earth

For those who do not have Google Earth here is a Screen Shot

#2 J24Soup

J24Soup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:09 AM

Not sure I follow. If I have a grib files from NOAA/etc., how do I view in google earth? Cool stuff if it works, Google Earth rocks.

#3 DickDastardly

DickDastardly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:49 AM

Not sure I follow. If I have a grib files from NOAA/etc., how do I view in google earth? Cool stuff if it works, Google Earth rocks.

Download the file under the link, change teh extension to "kml" and double click. Very cool.

#4 oldskool

oldskool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:29 PM

Looks like Virtual skipper....

#5 remmie

remmie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Interests:Bow<br />Sailing<br />Girls<br />Computers<br />(in that order)

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:31 PM

That's kick ass, top work. I should finish my KML course mapper.

#6 GHarbor2

GHarbor2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • Interests:Just be nice to each other.

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:23 PM

Download the file under the link, change teh extension to "kml" and double click. Very cool.

All I am getting is the html code. What am I doing wrong?

#7 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,723 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:30 PM

As of late I have been working with Google Earth and overlaying data on the maps. For example waypoints, routes and tracks. Easy enough. Now I have GRIB Weather files working.

Hey, sportboat! Nice layup. Well done sir.

#8 Mid

Mid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,409 posts
  • Interests:T 'n A ,

S D 'n R&R

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:31 PM

right click ...save as ....

#9 suider

suider

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:46 PM

All I am getting is the html code. What am I doing wrong?

??

the html code from the link? or after you have downloaded the file?

make sure you are actually changing the .xml file to a .kml file (ie, you aren't just ending up with a file named 'grib.kml.xml'....

where is the best place to get the damn small gribs? i can't seem to sift through the NOAA site enough to find where to download them??

very, very cool....

/c

#10 Waterpilot

Waterpilot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:19 PM

How can you import grib info to overlay other locations?

#11 #19

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:36 PM

This will be a new feature in our next version of our Mac nav software. That is you can load a GRIB file (.grb) and then "Export To Google Earth". That produces a KML file that Google Earth can open. XML format files for transfering nav data have become much more comming (i.e. GPX for waypoints, routes and tracks). Hopefully the Windows nav software will follow suite and support Google Earth.

#12 J Buoy

J Buoy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:53 PM

Nice work!

#13 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:04 PM

This will be a new feature in our next version of our Mac nav software. That is you can load a GRIB file (.grb) and then "Export To Google Earth". That produces a KML file that Google Earth can open. XML format files for transfering nav data have become much more comming (i.e. GPX for waypoints, routes and tracks). Hopefully the Windows nav software will follow suite and support Google Earth.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't sound like a very useful feature for actual navigation - don't you need an active high-bandwidth internet connection to use Google Earth?

In any case, there are several good GRIB viewers out there. I use GRIB Explorer from OCENS (~$100 I think), and there are several free ones. Not sure about any free GRIB viewers for Mac though.

My favorite free GRIB viewer for windows is the demo version of Expedition, with the free C-Map charts as a background.

Given the spacing between grid points on even the COAMPS GRIB's, there isn't really any reason to have a very detailed background map.

#14 JShark

JShark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:14 PM

Very Cool!!! When is it going to be streaming real time (if that's possible)?

#15 Dr Conrad Zimsky

Dr Conrad Zimsky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:06 PM

Very nice, SB. Any chance of a howto so that we can produce our own, or is this strictly for your software?

#16 #19

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:16 PM

Yes you need some software (ours) to convert grib file (.grb) to Google Earth KML (.kml). Once converted they can be viewed by anyone with Google Earth. My hope is someone will create a Windows tool that does the same. Our software is OS X only.

It is true you need a wifi connection for Google Earth, but that is becoming more common in marinas and also on cell phones such as Verizon. Eventually it will be world wide with Sat. Also storage prices are coming down all the time so I can imagine holding all of Google Earth on a local hard drive.

#17 Haji

Haji

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Interests:Energy systems, Bike racing, Guitar playing, XC Skiing

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:23 PM

Way cool. Well done S.B.

#18 inquiring Mind

inquiring Mind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:43 PM

Nice work! The message here is ; do not try to deliver from Flattery to SF at this time of year.

#19 born2sail

born2sail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,782 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:12 PM

Nice work! The message here is ; do not try to deliver from Flattery to SF at this time of year.

Not true...you just need to pick the right window, which is slowly closing but not shut completely, yet.

#20 remmie

remmie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Interests:Bow<br />Sailing<br />Girls<br />Computers<br />(in that order)

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:00 PM

Yes you need some software (ours) to convert grib file (.grb) to Google Earth KML (.kml). Once converted they can be viewed by anyone with Google Earth. My hope is someone will create a Windows tool that does the same. Our software is OS X only.

It is true you need a wifi connection for Google Earth, but that is becoming more common in marinas and also on cell phones such as Verizon. Eventually it will be world wide with Sat. Also storage prices are coming down all the time so I can imagine holding all of Google Earth on a local hard drive.

Sportboat, never looked at GRIB, what's the format like? Straight forward or tricky? Got a spec for it? Should be able to bash a GRIB -> KML web page up fairly easily.

Rgds,

remmie

#21 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:23 PM

I've seen estimates of the Google Earth database being a few 100 to maybe 1000 terrabytes, and growing rapidly as they add high res images for more and more of the globe. one terrabyte = 1024 gigabytes. Supposedly, that doesn't count mirroring. It'll be a while before we're carrying that kind of storage around on sailboats. I guess you could just store areas of interest.

Still, google earth could make a nice GRIB viewer for use at home, or wherever there is high speed access.

#22 #19

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:10 PM

GRIB format

KML format

#23 axolotl

axolotl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Camping

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:31 PM

I've seen estimates of the Google Earth database being a few 100 to maybe 1000 terrabytes, and growing rapidly as they add high res images for more and more of the globe. one terrabyte = 1024 gigabytes. Supposedly, that doesn't count mirroring. It'll be a while before we're carrying that kind of storage around on sailboats. I guess you could just store areas of interest.

Don't know the particulars, but at work the boys "cache" an area of interest in Google Earth, then disconnect, go out into the field and run Google Earth with no internet connection.

#24 Dr Conrad Zimsky

Dr Conrad Zimsky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:25 AM

GRIB format

KML format

Thanks!

#25 #19

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 05:41 PM

Google Maps now supports KML overlays. What this means you can paste in a URL to a Google KML file. For example paste this URL into the "Search the Map field"..

http://www.gpsnavx.com/GRIB/route.kml

#26 eliboat

eliboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:52 PM

Very cool stuff. I am constantly amazed at how useful Google Earth is.

#27 Call Me Boomvang

Call Me Boomvang

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Interests:Breaking Wind
    Shirking Work
    Passing Blame
    Irritating Strangers
    Cracking Wise
    Composing Haiku
    Cold Chillin
    Knocking About

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:43 PM

I wish I was more literate in this stuff. I just listened to a radio interview with the guys making a globe that glows different colors depending on how a stock is doing. They also had some weather products. The thing interesting I got out of the program was the so called 3rd wave of internet technology, smart devices that are tuned to internet datacasts and behave accordingly. Like an umbrella that glows when it is going to rain or they have a Stockorb that tracks the market. Several companies already using it in production and project management. One of the big points was that people can gather data when it is conveyed as a color in a much more intrinsict and instinctual way that numbers or even icons like arrows. It easier and quicker to absorb into our brain. This made sense to me. You learn colors before just about anything else. I think the company was called Ambient.

Now, this does not seem so hard to configure to sail electronics. So imagine a programable color plate on your mast that glowed through a spectrum of colors as you approached optimum VMG, lifts and headers, whatever. You program it as you choose. No need to focus on doing math in your head and remembering numbers just catch the colors out of the corner of your eye while focusing most of the attention on the environmental data. I am hoping for a discount if this helps someone here develop a product.

#28 hellion

hellion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts
  • Interests:sailing | yoga | martial arts | hiking | photography | filmmaking | graphic design | travelling

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:51 PM

Awesome info here, everybody.
Thanks.

#29 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:53 PM

Poking around the ARC site, i found this: Atlantic Wind in Google Earth

0 user(s) are reading this topic