Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:41 PM

SA Audio

Juan K

No, not that one, this Innerview is with John Kostecki, one of the most consistently excellent sailors anywhere. His CV is top shelf, and unlike a few others like Cayard or the Bald Ego, we've always liked John, his personality and the way he has gone about being all that in this sport. This Innerview is a lengthy 45 minutes, but there is obviously a million things to talk about and we covered at least some. Enjoy. After you listen, let me know what you think...

11/30/06

#2 Guyzie

Guyzie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:47 PM

Hey Scot, try the search function. Some of us have already starting making comments;-)

http://www.sailingan...showtopic=44759

Thanks again, I for one enjoyed it. This and the Dave Ullman rank as my favourites so far. Keep up the great work:-)

G

#3 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:52 PM

That's the only feedback? Seriously, if you guys don't listen to these things, which I am pretty sure are about a million times better than the other shit I've heard from guys like Leweck, then I won't bother.

#4 simbert

simbert

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:00 PM

First thing first, thanks for asking the question. But I am still digesting the answer, might take me a while.

#5 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:09 PM

For what its worth Scot, D1D has sort of stepped away from his podcasts, having found that people just didn't give that much of a crap. I like them, just haven't had a chance to listen to JK yet, but have all the other ones and hit them from time to time. Attention span maybe? Or maybe it's perfect and people have no comment because they are in awe of your sheer ability as an interviewer and Kos' as a subject?

#6 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,520 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:15 PM

I thought it was a good innerview. No huge scoops, but plenty of good perspective. Yes, your stuff is better than anything from any other sailing sites I have seen or heard. Perhaps a few more people would listen if you made it a podcast on iTunes, and then at the end you could ask people to give feedback on the forum.

#7 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:34 PM

The podcasts on I tunes are a good idea. We will get right on that.

#8 wpbeardsley

wpbeardsley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:38 PM

Also, for those that don't do podcasts, posting a transcript of the interview online works well too. If it is too long I suppose that is harder to do.

#9 dahama

dahama

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:42 PM

Podcasts def way to go. As much plane listening material as possible please !!!

#10 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,520 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:32 AM

The podcasts on I tunes are a good idea. We will get right on that.

In case you need info... Never done this, but looked into it. Info about putting a feed on iTunes is at http://www.apple.com...stechspecs.html.

#11 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,244 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:49 AM

Just listened to it, very cool. How about Bill Lee for the next one?

#12 PreparetoJibe

PreparetoJibe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:50 AM

Keep up the Innerviews, Itunes would make it easier though.

#13 d'ranger

d'ranger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,219 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:39 AM

This guy could be a pr man for just about anybody - never stumbled, never dissed anyone. Would be great to be able to sail with him, seems unusually bereft of ego especially considering his accomplishments.

#14 cheapshacht

cheapshacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:57 AM

I like the Innerviews a bunch - you do a great job. Only recommendation I have, Scot - you talk too much. Let the other guy talk more. And for crying out loud, the Innerview was a lovefest -- we know JK is good, why belabor the point over and over in the Innerview. But, having said that, I've listened to all of your Innerviews and I always learn something -- keep 'em coming.

cheap

#15 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 04:16 AM

Bill Lee might be a a trip. Yeah, I talk too much, and yes of all the stars, I do like Kostecki the best. I guess I should have blown him after the Innerview...

These things are harder than they seem. It is like talk radio - everybody thinks they can do it, but go ahead and sit down in front of a mic for three hours a day, with thousands of people listening, and come up with something good. There is an art to doing it well.

I tend to make the innerviews much more of a converstaion. I like to actually talk with the person, not just fire off questions. But you listen to them not for me, but for the subject, and in talk radio, people listen for the host and then whatever guests there might be - and I tend to treat these Innerviews like I do talk radio - I need to work on that a bit. I want the innerviews to be entertaining and informative, and I do appreciate the feedback.

#16 cheapshacht

cheapshacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:57 AM

These things are harder than they seem. It is like talk radio - everybody thinks they can do it, but go ahead and sit down in front of a mic for three hours a day, with thousands of people listening, and come up with something good. There is an art to doing it well.

I can imagine they are a bit of a pain to do and it obviously requires some talent to do well (which you do). Definitely something I could not do.

The Innerview's do reveal some interesting tidbits. I was particularly surprised at JK's sincere comment on how well the owner/driver thing went with the TP52 campaign. You would think that, even though he seems like a nice guy, that a rock star like JK would be kinda pissed if the owner came back and said he wanted to drive a boat loaded with professionals after a previous commitment for JK to steer. I know the owner is paying the bills but JK seemed to be genuinely cool with it. We need more of that in this sport.

cheap

#17 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 03:09 PM

Agreed and thanks.

#18 d'ranger

d'ranger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,219 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 03:32 PM

I neglected to mention the part of the innerview I liked best - JK's call to reign in the costs - nothing turns me off more than someone winning because they can outspend the competition - and I agree it does not help the sport. Let's hope people are listening - the sports that are successful are those that the fans can identify with - and few of us can identify with the Brazillionaires.

#19 snorky

snorky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:35 PM

All good.... nice and revealing of both of you!.. shame John saw the questions first as you might of got a bit more outa him. Although all pro's need to be able to handle the media, and need to protect sponsors and organisers by not giving away too much detail!

Loved the views on increasing VOR participation and youth in sports.... make a good thread...

Who's next?.. perhaps Neal Mc on his switch to America's cup.. and contrasting that to the VOR..... although might still be a bit tender! :blink: , or even Tony B! :P

A once a week podcast would be great..... especially the inclusion of forum q's etc...

ONYA

:P :P

#20 lucas

lucas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:02 PM

Listened to it, enjoyed it and would like more of it. Questions were already asked in the other thread and were asked as well.

Very much liked the "what questions need to be asked"-thread and JK admitting he prepared with his wife by checking out SA and especially that thread.

#21 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts
  • Interests:brighton & solent

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:46 PM

really enjoyed it,

OMG scott you're an American! Good to put a voice to the written word and nice to have such a clearly nice bloke be so self-effacing [Kostecki I mean]

A bit more detail and a little less conversation may help with some more open-ended questions and secondary probing for the detail - but that's just practice and it;s been said already.

I love the idea of a weekly podcast from racing experts

J

#22 Trio_J105

Trio_J105

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:19 PM

This guy could be a pr man for just about anybody - never stumbled, never dissed anyone. Would be great to be able to sail with him, seems unusually bereft of ego especially considering his accomplishments.

This Innerview was as good as the rest of them. Don't want to sound suckup, but you really do a great job, ED; keep it going. And I really agree with this assessment. I wanted to hear that 'so and so' is the best that I've sailed with or that 'such and such' was where I got my big break. But after thinking about it afterwards, I came to the same conclusion as 'd' - that this guy is too classy to simplify it down to one guy (gal) or one event.

#23 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,933 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:14 AM

Hey Ed - you do a good job, agree with letting them talk more than you. But... understand sometimes you have to kinda drag it out of them. Throw 'em the bait and see if they run with it. Definitely keep them on the site, some 'old' tech types don't have the ipod. Do both if its feasable. Spent all my bucks on the boat.....so far.

#24 J T

J T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:11 AM

That's the only feedback? Seriously, if you guys don't listen to these things, which I am pretty sure are about a million times better than the other shit I've heard from guys like Leweck, then I won't bother.

I missed the innerview last week...but where is the link now? Went here to your audio/video page...and there's no link. Perhaps Update that to make it a bit easier for we who missed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users