Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:17 AM

The Biz

New 'Lumbo?

We are hearing that the makers of the Columbia 30 are going to introduce a new version of the 30 - the Columbia 32. A bit longer, a deeper and heavier keel (we think) and offered as their new, upgraded racer. Again we think the current 30 becomes the "Sprint" model - with an aluminum rig, no fat head main, no inboard and a cheaper price. Interesting ideas, and certainly a way to rekindle interest in a boat that has not exactly lit the world on fire. Too little, too late?

12/27/06

#2 #19

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:58 AM

All depends on the price. They will need a backstay to keep the aluminum rig standing. The sailing world is not beating a door down for sportboats. Especially expensive ones. How many of the Mark1 C30's did they sell?

#3 rtpeanut

rtpeanut

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:13 AM

The Biz

New 'Lumbo?

We are hearing that the makers of the Columbia 30 are going to introduce a new version of the 30 - the Columbia 32. A bit longer, a deeper and heavier keel (we think) and offered as their new, upgraded racer. Again we think the current 30 becomes the "Sprint" model - with an aluminum rig, no fat head main, no inboard and a cheaper price. Interesting ideas, and certainly a way to rekindle interest in a boat that has not exactly lit the world on fire. Too little, too late?

12/27/06

Makes sense- a little extra length will help make it look more sleek ("old" 30 looked pudgy) and a deeper bulb will help with righting moment ("old" 30 was tippy). It is also a good excuse to raise more money.

I think the columbia 30/32 is going to be the first scalp claimed by the Flying Tiger. I ain't a FT fan, but since no one cares that it is MIC- half price is half price. Nothing really differentiates the two. The only question is can columbia find new money to keep going with a new boat design... or how long they can stick around.

global economy/penny labor is a bitch.

#4 Phil

Phil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,027 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:35 AM

All depends on the price. They will need a backstay to keep the aluminum rig standing. The sailing world is not beating a door down for sportboats. Especially expensive ones. How many of the Mark1 C30's did they sell?

Good question ,how many in the drink?

#5 Yachtshot

Yachtshot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:16 AM

I think about 6500 not including the new 309s.

#6 Phil

Phil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,027 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:18 AM

I think about 6500 not including the new 309s.

Aussie slang for how many have been built?

#7 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:10 PM

Strange if you ask me, going backwards to an aluminum stick thus needing a backstay as Sportboat pointed out and thus decreasing the size of the main. With a non-overlapping jib you need the big main especially in the light air areas which includes Southern CA where the boat is built! Just strange, so they are now going to build a 30 foot pig that a little cheaper. How much do they really save in going with the aluminum rig. I would think the CST Carbon one that is currently on the boat is around 12K-15K. Have no idea what an aluminum costs. But still so the boat costs 90K instead of 100K and is slower, who is going to buy that? Plus you just totally killed any chance at an OD class. And I do not think getting rid of the inboard is going to speed the boat up enough to make up for the loss of sail area…

#8 EWS

EWS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:27 PM

The mast is Southern Spars..........i think their biggest downfall was that they went all out on quality. It seemed like the boat had no compromise in regards to sticking to a pricepoint. While we all like quality, they quickly raised the bar above what the market could bear for a 30' Sportboat. When you get to the $120,000 range for the boat there are so many other options that become available when for just slightly more you can step up to a much more substantial boat

#9 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,498 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:38 PM

a 30' Sportboat.

"Sports Yacht"

#10 EWS

EWS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:46 PM

haha, thanks for the correction......I haven't gotten through my first cup of coffee yet so I'm not thinking clearly

#11 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:31 PM

My bad on getting the mast builder wrong...

#12 redboat

redboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,278 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:43 PM

I hope the Lumbo makes a go of it. Had it not been for the MIC FT10 they would have had a much better chance. Can't help but wonder how many anti Walmart/box store/support US labor/raise the min wage proponents are lining up for the FT 10 and rubbing their hands with glee at the savings.

#13 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:24 PM

Aussie slang for how many have been built?

I was curious too, anyone know how many C30 MK1's there are so far?

#14 rtpeanut

rtpeanut

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:18 PM

Sort of off-topic. But I was always annoyed with the C30's pricing. On their website (which I assume any prospective buyer would visit) it says the price is $131k retail and $105 direct from factory. What idiot would pay $131? If I was a broker, I would pissed too as my clients could easily see what I was making off the deal and they probably wouldn't like it.

#15 plaanaa

plaanaa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:35 AM

front page link for almost full day and only 14 posts. the answer is clear: nobody gives a fuck about a random 30-something footer pigboat for too much money. no matter how they wish to dress it up. nobody, except for those five guys in SD who thought they are going to have a growing OD class. poor sobs, their boats just lost value. time to cut the losses and get ft10.

s.

Seems true, Only thing I'm wondering about is wtf has the boat to do with sportsboats?

What's its rate by the way? :mellow:

#16 bowduude

bowduude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Why do you think I'm on this site? Pointy end..

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:52 PM

Stick a fork in the project. They can't seem to make up their minds as to what they want to do with this boat. One minute they are making their alleged full court press for OD with the 30, now they come out with a 32.... ????

WTF? Schizophrenia rears its ugly head!

#17 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:24 AM

Too bad I liked the concept. Lightweight, transportable dual purpose with more empahsis on the performance than was typically when it came out. When you compare it to a J92s it's probably a steal, easier to transport, and faster to boot but they don't have the J marketing machine nor the cheap FT10 prices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users