Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:05 PM

The Biz

Two Coats of Papaya Juice, Sir?

Environmentally-Friendly Enzyme Based Antifouling Paint? An enzyme-based antifouling paint has been developed that utilizes biodegradable fruit enzymes derived from papaya and pineapple as the active ingredients in place of conventional biocides of commonly used heavy metals and highly toxic chemicals such as tributyltin (TBT) and cuprous oxide. Currently the International Maritime Organization (IMO) is conducting a worldwide five year phase out of the widely used TBT by January 1, 2008 . Comments?

01/29/07

#2 DeadFuckingLast

DeadFuckingLast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:15 PM

Great stuff - if this is gonna work.

When will the new drink "Antifouling" be available at my local bar?

#3 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,233 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:17 PM

TBT has been banned , in N.S.W. at least, for a long time now, it was also blamed for ending the Sydney district Oyster Industry,

rec Divers here are reporting more shellfish activity on the seabed under the mooring farms

Copper is considered the lesser of the two evils.

Ed,
can the P'paya go over the P'apple paint and be burnished ?
heard that P'apple is ok over P'paya, can be brushed if thinned with Cranberry (shaken not stirred) and has a more ablative property.

#4 DeadFuckingLast

DeadFuckingLast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:34 PM

Gybeset,

Regarding your avatar picture: Saddam's gone for good... :ph34r:

#5 eros

eros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:51 PM

The Biz

Two Coats of Papaya Juice, Sir?

Environmentally-Friendly Enzyme Based Antifouling Paint? An enzyme-based antifouling paint has been developed that utilizes biodegradable fruit enzymes derived from papaya and pineapple as the active ingredients in place of conventional biocides of commonly used heavy metals and highly toxic chemicals such as tributyltin (TBT) and cuprous oxide. Currently the International Maritime Organization (IMO) is conducting a worldwide five year phase out of the widely used TBT by January 1, 2008 . Comments?

01/29/07

The rest of the story
http://www.treehugge...er_me_timbe.php

The other day we ran a review on The Doggy Dung Disaster, a book about 30 inspirational kids from around the world. One of those profiled is Vaishali Kiran Grover who was 14 when she was awarded $1,500 USD in the 2002 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair. She garnered the award for her environmental science project, in which she discovered that snails near her family’s papaya tree were dying, and she wondered if the same might hold true for marine mollusks, such as barnacles that attach themselves to the hulls of ships (slowing their movement). Her research led to a biodegradable enzyme treatment using papaya and pineapple. It offers an alternative to the usual anti-fouling paint that commonly contains heavy metals and toxic chemicals like cuprous oxide and tributyltin (TBT). The latter is something the International Maritime Organization (IMO) is hoping to phase out by about this time next year. In 2003 the US Navy awarded her a $8,000 scholarship for “original research in an important Naval-relevant scientific area.” As recognition for her work, Vaishali had asteroid 17950 named Grover after her! How’s that for 15 minutes of fame? The National Gallery For America's Young Inventors inducted her in 2004, where she has a comic telling her story. Or read Vaishali’s story in a free PDF excerpt from The Doggy Dung Disaster.

#6 Call Me Boomvang

Call Me Boomvang

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Interests:Breaking Wind
    Shirking Work
    Passing Blame
    Irritating Strangers
    Cracking Wise
    Composing Haiku
    Cold Chillin
    Knocking About

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:55 PM

Go with the papaya bottom coat. It is faster than the pineapple because it is more orange.

#7 vouz etes ici

vouz etes ici

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

Does it come in... er.... Orange?

Edit: Dammit CMB, you beat me to it.

#8 Tim

Tim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:00 PM

Would licking it count as one or your 5-a-day?

#9 CFIT

CFIT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:16 PM

Hmm wonder if you could use leftovers in the anti fouling tin for rum punch mix:o

#10 legoman

legoman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:boats

Posted 29 January 2007 - 07:19 PM

The best part is that you can pimp it up by adding Mt Gay and lime.

#11 LeftSA

LeftSA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:49 PM

Don't power wash your bottom, just yank the boat out and let the local veggies lick it for free.

#12 Rapscallion

Rapscallion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:19 PM

I have been giving this much thought; and I've had the time on my hands to play with it a bit....(I meant with bottom paint)... I'm not completely convinced "enzymes" will keep the bottom from fouling up, but what I think will work is based on a technology I worked on as a Chemist for a pharma company.

We were making a polymer that looked like a super thick maple syrup that was designed to "melt" in the body at a very predictable rate. This goo could be altered a bit and the rate of decay would change. I am taking a similar goo and using a molecular weight protein of about 50,000 (as per Marchav...from the book the aero hydrodynamics of sailing) and suspending the protein in the goo...

as the goo decays, the protein is released, and the boat's drag coefficient is lowered. I bet the crap would probably be made illegal as far as racing goes.... but the take home message is it is possible (and cheap) to make a non toxic ablative bottom finish....

anybody want to start a business?

#13 Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:50 PM

I have been giving this much thought; and I've had the time on my hands to play with it a bit....(I meant with bottom paint)... I'm not completely convinced "enzymes" will keep the bottom from fouling up, but what I think will work is based on a technology I worked on as a Chemist for a pharma company.

We were making a polymer that looked like a super thick maple syrup that was designed to "melt" in the body at a very predictable rate. This goo could be altered a bit and the rate of decay would change. I am taking a similar goo and using a molecular weight protein of about 50,000 (as per Marchav...from the book the aero hydrodynamics of sailing) and suspending the protein in the goo...

as the goo decays, the protein is released, and the boat's drag coefficient is lowered. I bet the crap would probably be made illegal as far as racing goes.... but the take home message is it is possible (and cheap) to make a non toxic ablative bottom finish....

A chemist? That explains a lot. Sniffing too much of the ether eh? :)

#14 Right Coast

Right Coast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:13 PM

It already is illegal.

53 SKIN FRICTION
A boat shall not eject or release a substance, such as a polymer, or
have specially textured surfaces that could improve the character of
the flow of water inside the boundary layer.

No.

#15 Rapscallion

Rapscallion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:38 PM

It already is illegal.

53 SKIN FRICTION
A boat shall not eject or release a substance, such as a polymer, or
have specially textured surfaces that could improve the character of
the ?ow of water inside the boundary layer.
No.

I'm guessing the papya stuff is ablative, and if that is the case it may change the drag coefficient of the boat. There are ablative bottom paints on the market now... seriously... does anyone know how these finishes affect the hulls drag coefficient?

I'm guessing with the metals stuff the molecules were small enough they would not effect the boundry layer, but I'm sure enzymes have a molecular weight over 50,000. That rule may have to change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users