75 replies to this topic

#1 Geronimo

Geronimo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:20 PM

"The new ADMIRALTY 30 OD is now in production and the first boat in the US will be available for inspection and demo sails
in Long Beach March 17 & 18.
The new boat is a much-improved version of the original JS9000 with more sail area, winged keel and fixed sprit added to
improve both upwind and downwind performance.
The ADMIRALTY 30 OD can be sailed with one to three crew - optimum for racing is two or three on board depending on
conditions.
My best (JS9000) is 16.5 kts on a spinnaker reach with two crew (myself and one other). We had 18-20 kts true and the boat
was so stable I could steer with thumb and forefinger. It's a hoot!
The ADMIRALTY 30 OD offers even better performance and is ready for you - my web site has not yet been updated so I will
be happy to answer any questions or provide more information.
Just let me know - and if you are in the area, please plan to visit us in Long Beach.
The President of Admiralty Yachts and John Swarbrick will be there to provide everything you want to know about this great new boat!"

-John Burgess US Dealer

Pics:
http://www.kodakgall...mp;conn_speed=1

#2 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:23 AM

Lose the drag on the keel and it will probably do more than 16, might even be as quick as the RLAR!

Attached Files

• Attached File  keel.jpg   51.42K   62 downloads

#3 plaanaa

plaanaa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:34 AM

Cool. 2 questions remain. How much and what's it rate?

#4 huevos rancheros

huevos rancheros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:37 AM

I really like what you guys did with the below deck furler.

#5 fullsail

fullsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:26 AM

I am glad that this wonderful boat is back in production. I wish great success to it.
Did you see, the mast is behind the keel? And it seems to work.

Christian

#6 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:11 AM

Lose the drag on the keel and it will probably do more than 16, might even be as quick as the RLAR!

I agree - that looks like a lot of drag to me

I hope these guys get the boat squared out this time around - I really like the concept - especially being able to easily doublehand/singlehand.

#7 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:53 AM

I agree it appears it may be draggy but i retain only a hint of skepticism,
Arrow with that keel is the fastest boat downwind in a breeze in the 30's at the SASC, also borne out against some sportsboats in the Audi. The more it blows the larger the gap (ie when the effect of any drag should be multiplying) , it simply doesnt seem to have any effect at all.

remember the designer was right at the top of the most intensive development of the winged keels , the '87 Fremantle AC,
there would have been unlimited amounts of drag and tank test data back then, every team had two or three boats and years of incremental testing and development.

also what you are seeing is not what the water 'sees', there is one shot in there from ahead, i.e. from a 'frontal area' perspective it shows the wings add bugger all to that, anything after the water is pushed aside is merely how the turbulence and vortices are dealt with.
Attached File  643740026403_0_BG.jpg   7.67K   14 downloads

in any case it would need to be justified against gains upwind which is a hydrodynamics topic in it's own right.
---------------------------------

TS it does well more than 16kts dw, similar to what we're used to doing

#8 teener

teener

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:10 AM

Ok, you might not have a rating yet but what are the vital statistics, what's it made of, and yes, what does it cost.

#9 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:33 AM

I agree it appears it may be draggy but i retain only a hint of skepticism,
Arrow with that keel is the fastest boat downwind in a breeze in the 30's at the SASC, also borne out against some sportsboats in the Audi. The more it blows the larger the gap (ie when the effect of any drag should be multiplying) , it simply doesnt seem to have any effect at all.

remember the designer was right at the top of the most intensive development of the winged keels ever, the '87 Fremantle AC,
there would have been unlimited amounts of drag and tank test data back then, every team had two or three boats and years of incremental testing and development.

also what you are seeing is not what the water 'sees', there is one shot in there from ahead, i.e. from a 'frontal area' perspective it shows the wings add bugger all to that, anything after the water is pushed aside is merely how the turbulence and vortices are dealt with.
Attached File  643740026403_0_BG.jpg   7.67K   14 downloads

in any case it would need to be justified against gains upwind which is a hydrodynamics topic in it's own right.
---------------------------------

TS it does well more than 16kts dw, similar to what we're used to doing

The pics I saw of the Teaky Toy had some very different winglets on the bulb - much higher aspect.

But agree that it remains to be seen if this thing will rock the world.

#10 rossco

rossco

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:49 AM

Interesting development.

But don't you just feel for all those poor bastards that paid good freight for the Mk 1 version?

Will there be a Mk 3????

#11 TMK

TMK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 07:23 AM

Hi Bill & John,

I would love to get a ride on the new boat. As you may know, I've been pulling for this boat for a long time, and have been looking forward to seeing it on the water.

Unfortunately, the weekend you have planned is opening day weekend in Marina del Rey, & it's our 75th Opening Day, so I'm completely obligated on Mar 17 - 18. Are you going to be on the water before or after that?

Thanks!

#12 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:11 AM

The pics I saw of the Teaky Toy had some very different winglets on the bulb - much higher aspect.

But agree that it remains to be seen if this thing will rock the world.

we both sail on J'ns boat Arrow for 2 seasons odd, (3 crew); THAT is the same shape and style of the bulb Christian, also the bulb weight on the doc checks out

It looks very very very similar, dja see the other pics in the Images link? i'd be a little surprised if it were not the exact same casting.
---------------------

rossco, not OD ! the aussie builder went past mkII a couple of years ago btw, if this evolution is 'right' it should/could could settle in?

#13 BIAM

BIAM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:03 PM

I will be happy to answer any questions or provide more information.
Just let me know - and if you are in the area, please plan to visit us in Long Beach.
The President of Admiralty Yachts and John Swarbrick will be there to provide everything you want to know about this great new boat!"

-John Burgess US Dealer

Pics:

John,

Could you please tell us more about who the builder is, what experience, resources etc?

How many hulls has the new builder built?

Do you have a spec and pricing sheet?

Delivery schedule?

Warranty?

Thanks.

#14 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:03 PM

"The new ADMIRALTY 30 OD is now in production and the first boat in the US will be available for inspection and demo sails
The new boat is a much-improved version of the original JS9000 with more sail area, winged keel and fixed sprit added to
The ADMIRALTY 30 OD can be sailed with one to three crew - optimum for racing is two or three on board depending on
conditions.
My best (JS9000) is 16.5 kts on a spinnaker reach with two crew (myself and one other). We had 18-20 kts true and the boat
was so stable I could steer with thumb and forefinger. It's a hoot!
The ADMIRALTY 30 OD offers even better performance and is ready for you - my web site has not yet been updated so I will
be happy to answer any questions or provide more information.

-John Burgess US Dealer

Pics:

Wonderful. Now, next time you want to promote your business, be sure to actually pay for it.

#15 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:03 PM

we both sail on J'ns boat Arrow for 2 seasons odd, (3 crew); THAT is the same shape and style of the bulb Christian, also the bulb weight on the doc checks out

It looks very very very similar, dja see the other pics in the Images link? i'd be a little surprised if it were not the exact same casting.
---------------------

rossco, not OD ! the aussie builder went past mkII a couple of years ago btw, if this evolution is 'right' it should/could could settle in?

I could have sworn I saw pictures with a very different set of winglets - maybe that was the UK (?) version and not the Teaky Toy

#16 Geronimo

Geronimo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:04 PM

Just as a note: I am not John Burgess

I sail on a JS9000 and recieve emails from him so I copied it and quoted it in his name on this forum.

#17 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

Doesn't this remind you of Darth Vader?

Attached File  darth_vader_keel.jpg   51.42K   14 downloads

#18 FORSAIL

FORSAIL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:39 PM

Wonderful. Now, next time you want to promote your business, be sure to actually pay for it.

Dear Sir,

Quite an interesting comment - seems you are right on top of things out there.

As a matter of fact, I have actually paid my own way for most of my 63 years.

You may be interested in knowing that I did not post the information you seem to find objectionable nor did I ask anyone to do so. I don't even know who "geronimo" is.

As you might have noticed, I have posted on SA maybe two times in the last three years and it would appear that my direct answers to direct questions from one of your readers has been expunged, reducing the total to one.

My words were copied from a mailing I sent to a list of people who had previously expressed interest in the boat. One person receiving my mailing apparently thought your readership might actually be interested in the information.

As a matter of fact, I will be encouraging Admiralty Yachts to consider advertising on your site as part of an overall program when I meet with them in March. They are new to the US market and need some guidance as we tend to be a bit different in our attitudes (and latitudes) - which is graphically illustrated on your site.

It would be helpful to have pertinent information to present to them - similar to what I have received from other advertising resources. After all, those who want to sell their services to those who want to promote their business should sell their services. Honey vs. vinegar? Information vs. barbs?

Perhaps I should apologize - unfortunately I don't know what I would be apologizing for. Living?

Or reading SA maybe once every couple of months? Someone brought this latest topic to my attention - or I would not have seen it at all.

I like to sail and I love my boat. I do not have a financial interest in or gain from the successful promotion of boats. Hence "promote your business" is a non sequitur. My business is having fun and encouraging (and sometimes helping) others do the same.

Being retired is a luxury I have enjoyed for some 15 years now, allowing me to sail when and where I choose, paying my own way as I go.

I am John Burgess, johnburge@gmail.com , 770-965-8500. Please feel free to send any pertinent information regarding SA advertising opportunities that you would like for me to pass on to my friends at Admiralty Yachts.

Thanks!

#19 Teaky

Teaky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, family, renovating my house, all aspects of media and advertising.

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:27 PM

Good job John.

Back to the boat. There seems to be a number of significant differences. In fact, I'd say the only thing that's just the same as Arrow would be the hull shape.

Looking at the Admiralty 30, compared with the more powerful Arrow, I'd say Arrow would be quickest round the track. However, Arrow is now far more labour intensive than the Admiralty 30. Our mast head kite for example tears my fucking hands apart, but we're sailing approximately the same boatspeed as true windspeed now downhill (up to about 18kts where true wind begins to overtake boatspeed). We've seen low 20's in boatspeed, and are still unsure where the limit is.

The owner has installed hiking straps, and we've had to bring Rocket (our new mainsheet hand) on board - who provides plenty of righting moment.

Admiralty 30 can still be sailed single handed, I doubt anyone would be game to try that on Arrow in anything over 15kts.

Mind you, I suppose you could add hiking straps, mast head kite, taller rig, lower boom, longer prod etc... to the A30. Then it would be close eh.

#20 FORSAIL

FORSAIL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:26 PM

Good job John.

Back to the boat. There seems to be a number of significant differences. In fact, I'd say the only thing that's just the same as Arrow would be the hull shape.

Looking at the Admiralty 30, compared with the more powerful Arrow, I'd say Arrow would be quickest round the track. However, Arrow is now far more labour intensive than the Admiralty 30. Our mast head kite for example tears my fucking hands apart, but we're sailing approximately the same boatspeed as true windspeed now downhill (up to about 18kts where true wind begins to overtake boatspeed). We've seen low 20's in boatspeed, and are still unsure where the limit is.

The owner has installed hiking straps, and we've had to bring Rocket (our new mainsheet hand) on board - who provides plenty of righting moment.

Admiralty 30 can still be sailed single handed, I doubt anyone would be game to try that on Arrow in anything over 15kts.

Mind you, I suppose you could add hiking straps, mast head kite, taller rig, lower boom, longer prod etc... to the A30. Then it would be close eh.

I am not sure I am supposed to be posting an answer, but let's see what happens.

When asked for my input, I strongly encouraged Admiralty to finalize the design once and for all and stop tweaking the boat.

I have not even seen the new boat yet but have been corresponding with Admiralty for about 18 months. I am retired, don't have anything else to do, and tried to help John Swarbrick because I really do enjoy my JS9000. Then Chia asked me to help get Admiralty started in the US.

The only way a builder has a chance to succeed with small boats (and low margins) is to keep it simple - i.e. all boats identical. This approach might even lead to a OD class someday if the concept of a fast (and fun) two man boat catches on. Maybe we can get some of the locals out to Long Beach March 17 & 18 to give it a try and report their findings back to the forum.

Arrow is a great project boat that is proving the design concept valid. You have pushed beyond the edge of the typical sailor who wants to go sailing on a "normal" boat and you are obviously having a great time doing it!

#21 Teaky

Teaky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, family, renovating my house, all aspects of media and advertising.

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:37 PM

Hell yeah!

But I have had to purchase goggles for the downwind runs!

Posted Image

#22 The Stig

The Stig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:44 PM

Teaky, are these numbers GPS or on boat log ? I've noted that the boat is quick downhill but you're hardly tearing through the fleet doing 4-5 knots quicker, we all touch on good numbers in S30 boats on the downwinds, but you guys consistently doing windspeed ???? Big claim, you should have overtaken Tasty by the bottom mark at GI last Saturday at those speeds.

#23 Teaky

Teaky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:50 PM

Teaky, are these numbers GPS or on boat log ? I've noted that the boat is quick downhill but you're hardly tearing through the fleet doing 4-5 knots quicker, we all touch on good numbers in S30 boats on the downwinds, but you guys consistently doing windspeed ???? Big claim, you should have overtaken Tasty by the bottom mark at GI last Saturday at those speeds.

Actually, I should say up to 16 rather than 18.

On Sat Tasty was doing about 1kt slower than Arrow downhill (according to Jason, 13.1kts) - that lead they had by the top mark was too big that day as we did 13.9. Did you record much more than 14kts windspeed?

But the numbers are on the tacktic, which although it has recently been re-installed and calibrated could be a little off. We're paying close attention to the numbers at the moment, and recording them on a dictaphone so that later we can write out polars.

When we have flat water, we're usually looking at the gusts on the water, sometimes we have to heat up to reach one, as it's constantly on our shoulder! We try to keep the same gust all the way downwind when we find the right one. We're usually getting about 3 gusts for a run at the moment. Few more on Sat as it was so shitty up at Manly.

Ideally we'll traverse the same gust the whole time, gybing at the edges.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   60.52K   8 downloads

#24 The Stig

The Stig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:33 AM

But what jas is talking about is a one off number, I can impress anyone with hitting the max speed button at the end of a day sailing and say we did 14 knots ! Distance over time really is the only indicator of a truely fast boat, I've had a Bavaria cruising shitter hit 18.5 knots offshore, doesn't make it a fast boat. Anyway back to thread on the JS9000/Admiralty 30, you've got Audi and 3 more Amateurs S30 races left to show us what the Arrow can really do.

#25 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:02 AM

I could have sworn I saw pictures with a very different set of winglets - maybe that was the UK (?) version and not the Teaky Toy

yeah not Arrow, there is a winglet keel with Swarbrick in W.A. and the UK thing was a stolen version of the design by one of those Assy dinghy builders over there that was shut down legally, you may well have seen a pic from one of these, like the sports8's foils

stig , can assure that Arrow could do SOG at 4 or 5 more than a 'accommodation' 30 at times, if enough pressure, but not often enough in a 'real world' situation; must be tempered by the fact she's tacking at fair angles and most courses /breezes/islands/headlands simply do not allow a perfect situation or enough runway to exploit that

in theory on open water at +15knts you could lay a triangle (approx +-60° corners) that could emulate the perfect Assy angles and force yachts symm. poles onto the forestay and struggling a bit

The harbour is the FULL gamut of angles, conditions and considerations 'eh

#26 Teaky

Teaky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:05 AM

We hope to Mate.

The top speed was the only indicator for comparison that Jas put up. Clearly, an average speed over distance downwind would be better. And using a GPS.

Tasty does seem about a kt slower than Arrow downhill in most conditions. Problem is (for us), she's faster and higher uphill by more!

#27 BIAM

BIAM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:52 AM

As you might have noticed, I have posted on SA maybe two times in the last three years and it would appear that my direct answers to direct questions from one of your readers has been expunged, reducing the total to one.

jesus.......the ed actually deleted the answers to my questions?

wow.....the irony...

when the same questions were asked of the ed's pet project, the "builder" couldn't even type his own name, much less provide coherent answers......and the boat turned out to be a huge development headache (surprise, surprise)

now somebody answers a few basic questions about another interesting project, and the post gets deleted....I suppose this could be a very good omen........

oh well, good luck with the boat.......cool idea to have a 30ft sportboat that can be sailed by 3......

#28 Geronimo

Geronimo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:03 AM

Teaky,
On Arrow's mast head kite what kind of mast stiffening did you have to do? I see there is a backstay with a whip but is there anything else? On our boat here in New Orleans we are always trying to pull more speed out of the boat. We have toyed with the idea of putting a masthead kite on it but questioned the rig strength. Our first mast broke during a tropical storm here and it has been replaced by the CST MKII mast I believe. And could you post some pics of Arrow with the masthead chute up? The one above is small.

Thanks
-G

#29 ntman

ntman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:51 AM

biam, it may not be the conspiracy you think. don't forget lots of stuff was lost when the forum was hacked last year.

#30 #19

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:35 AM

Let's hope things have improved since these days..

JS9000 Arrival
JS9000 sails

Back then Swarbuck was full of tall tales.

#31 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:50 AM

ger'o

standard issue for M/H skiffs and sportsboats downunder, basically an I-point spreader-set giving a set of swept-back caps, taut

theres other bstays etc but this is the primary insurance and alone does the job

this is a typical setup (not on a JS) ignore all the trap wires
Posted Image

#32 Bill J

Bill J

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:44 AM

Hi all. I am the buyer of production hull #1 in Long Beach. I am happy to answer any and all questions. I have been off computer all weekend as we are gearing up for a major remodel (quid pro quo for the new boat) and have been visiting home design shops, tile outlets and plumbing fixture stores, ad nauseum.

First of all, what does it rate? PHRF SoCal, in its infinite wisdom gave it a 60 bouy rating (42 RLC and 39 OWC). I think they may be on drugs, but we'll see. I was hoping for more like 78 or 84.

Sails - did not come with the boat so I am having them made by Harry Pattison at Elliot-Pattison. I am sure Harry is happy to answer any questions. The main and jib are Load Path and I am getting a code 2 runner and a code 1 reacher.

Dimensions: I - 28.05 ft. (8550 mm). J - 12.23 (3728), P - 33.69 (10350), E - 10.33 (3150), Ic - 31.50 (9600), Jc - 16.40 (5000).

The builder - Admiralty Yachts has been around awhile. I understand that in addtion to pleasure craft, they build patrol craft for the Singapore security forces. The boat is GRP with Herex-80 foam core. The build quality seems very good. They identified a couple of areas they wanted to strengthen, based on some test sailing John Swarbrick did in Singapore a few weeks ago in a decent breeze, and the parts were fabricated and Fed Ex'd to me before the end of the same week. They involved some additional strengthening around the keel box and under the mast step.

The boat hasn't splashed yet. We're hoping for the end of this week. Sails will come a little later.

I haven't received official approval to use Long Beach YC's dock for test sails the weekend of March 17-18. However, if that doesn't happen, we'll still do it somewhere in Alamitos Bay. I'll post updates on this thread (I've discussed this with the Ed and he is OK with it). If you can't make it for a test sail due to NOOD or whatever, just PM me and I'll try to arrange something at another time.

I've invited the Ed to take a test sail and write a review for Sailing Anarchy. I am either eternally optimistic or brave beyond words (third choice - stupid).

What does it cost - contact John Burgess. I have absolutely no financial interest in Admiralty or JS Yachts USA. My only goal is to stir up some interest. If a few more people get interested, an OD class could happen. To whoever asked about those who bought the earlier version - I was ready to buy Mk I of the JS9000 over a year ago, but it has taken this long for the deal to happen. Once I heard about the changes Mr. Swarbrick wanted to make, I was willing to wait. There were only about 5 of the JS9000's sold in the US, so it never really took off as a class. I hope the new Admiralty 30 version will. Like many of you, I gott tired of having to round up 5-6 crew every time I wanted to race. I like the idea of rounding up one, or maybe two.

Finally, to any of you who may be members of the Motion Picture Academy, thank you for voting for Little Miss Sunshine. Mrs. Bill J works for the studio and Oscars mean more sales, which means a bigger bonus (we hope), which pays for the boat.

#33 Geronimo

Geronimo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:45 PM

First of all, what does it rate? PHRF SoCal, in its infinite wisdom gave it a 60 bouy rating (42 RLC and 39 OWC). I think they may be on drugs, but we'll see. I was hoping for more like 78 or 84.

Here in New Orleans our JS9000 with our genoa rates 84. We recieved a 3 second hit for adding the sail to our inventory.

Attached Files

#34 Teaky

Teaky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:12 AM

That's gotta be worth it hey? We've got tracks to be added to allow for an overlapper. Not fitted or sail made yet though.

#35 Geronimo

Geronimo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:24 AM

That's gotta be worth it hey? We've got tracks to be added to allow for an overlapper. Not fitted or sail made yet though.

Our sail is fitted to a fixed block, we were going to add tracks but we never got around to it, yet. And it was definately worth it. We can actually out-reach a Melges 24 (main and jib only) in 10-15. If I remember correctly.

#36 Bill J

Bill J

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:33 AM

What is the length of the foot of your genoa? With the mast set back behind the keel on the new Admiralty 30, the foot is now 12'. Plus with a higher mast, the I dimension is higher. The sail area of the jib is now 15 sq. mtr.

#37 foredeckhell

foredeckhell

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:47 AM

I likey the new js. It's a nice update.

#38 Geronimo

Geronimo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:16 AM

What is the length of the foot of your genoa? With the mast set back behind the keel on the new Admiralty 30, the foot is now 12'. Plus with a higher mast, the I dimension is higher. The sail area of the jib is now 15 sq. mtr.

I dont have the exact measurements right now but I will post them soon. The jib in that picture above was the prototype sail that we had the Quantum loft here in New Orleans cut down from a Ranger 29 155% genoa. The actual race sail is a Quantum but it is slightly flatter and shorter foot length.

#39 glug

glug

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:11 AM

I likey the new js. It's a nice update.

Me too. Now lets standardise this! NO MORE CHANGES! ONE DESIGN RACING PLEASE!

Give the punters some confidence they wont have to upgrade every 3 years.

#40 Geronimo

Geronimo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:38 AM

pics

Attached Files

#41 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:44 PM

Just about every pic you see of these things going upwind they are on there ear.

Hike Bitches!

#42 spillinmyRUM

spillinmyRUM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:27 PM

thats how it likes to go upwind, flat is slow for that boat

#43 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:27 PM

Just about every pic you see of these things going upwind they are on there ear.

Hike Bitches!

take it fr me Turks
It's UW performance is best when pressured

figure this for different, your'e gunnel Posi when it heels further is actually tilting to WELL to leeward, the stronger it blows, not alot of hiking gain/leverage there, especially when you consider a bulb 7-8 times your mass is way out to weather of you

simply there is no other way, it's a different concept, unlike other boats heeling is not the end of the world, rather designed that way

initially tender ( no form stability (via width) is detectable),

utimately quite stiff (v healthy size bulb at more plenty mo' draft the others)

it'll flop over, then virtually resist going much further,

#44 Bill J

Bill J

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:15 PM

To give an idea of how long the keel is, here's a picture (hopefully) of my boat's keel getting ready for the boat to be lifted on it. It is on about 8" blocks.
Attached File  Keel.jpg   45.84K   55 downloads

#45 Bill J

Bill J

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:22 PM

Here's another shot showing the boat being moved into position over the keel. This took place yesterday (Monday).
Attached File  Boat_over_keel.jpg   52.78K   82 downloads

#46 Bill J

Bill J

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:27 PM

Last shot. The keel is up about 2/3. Note the keel crane. It leads to a turning block at the chainplate and from there to the winch.Attached File  Keel_in_place.jpg   49.2K   89 downloads

#47 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,284 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:34 PM

Love the name Bill.

#48 Bill J

Bill J

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:46 PM

I can always give credit to, or blame, my "despicable" crew, sails, boat, skill, strategy, whatever. What a maroon!

#49 FORSAIL

FORSAIL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:48 PM

Here in New Orleans our JS9000 with our genoa rates 84. We received a 3 second hit for adding the sail to our inventory.

GYA PHRF has the boat rated at 90.

Interesting logic in giving a 3 sec penalty for adding a larger jib. What is it? 100%? 110%?

The standard jib on a JS9000 is 80%. Isn't PHRF is supposed to allow up to 155%?

#50 Geronimo

Geronimo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:02 PM

Interesting logic in giving a 3 sec penalty for adding a larger jib. What is it? 100%? 110%?

The standard jib on a JS9000 is 80%. Isn't PHRF is supposed to allow up to 155%?

I can't remember if we got a 3 or 6 second hit for the big jib (which I think is a 150%, could be 155%). But either way we rate 84 now.

JS 9000 OD MOD SUGAH II JOHN F. DICKS, JR. 3/27/2007 9003 SYC 84
-G

#51 Geronimo

Geronimo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:15 PM

This is the best pitcure that I have of our prototype genoa.

Attached Files

#52 fullsail

fullsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:36 PM

Congratulation for your new boat Bill J. I wish you hours of fast and easy sailing.
I am wondering if you have the specs of the boat. Especially the displacement and the ballast weight. And of course the new sail area.
I am also impatient to read reports on how the boat sails and how you use it.

Christian

#53 plaanaa

plaanaa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:25 AM

So Christian (fullsail), has your project been in discussion here? No wonder you're interested in this new JS, you have actually build one like it ;)

Posted Image

#54 Bill J

Bill J

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:15 AM

Congratulation for your new boat Bill J. I wish you hours of fast and easy sailing.
I am wondering if you have the specs of the boat. Especially the displacement and the ballast weight. And of course the new sail area.
I am also impatient to read reports on how the boat sails and how you use it.

Christian

Thanks.

I gave a lot of the specs in an earlier post on this thread. Here the others you are asking about. Displacement is 2425 lbs. (1100 kg) and ballast is 1543 lbs. (700 kg). Most of the ballast is in the bulb. The Ballast to Displacement ratio is 64%. The designers sail area is 20 sq mtrs (215 sq ft) and the jib is 15 sq mtrs (161 sq ft). The sailmaker hasn't given an area on the spinnaker yet, so the area is projected at 627 sq ft (58 sq mtrs) using (SLU+SLE)*(ASMG/3+SF/12), where SLU is luff length, SLE is leech length, ASMG is mid-girth and SF is foot length.

I hope to splash this week and have sails by the week of March 11. I am offering test sails the weekend of March 17 & 18 to anyone in the SoCal area (Long Beach). If anyone is interested, please PM me to let me know. I'm trying to get a feel for how many people might show. If I get enough, I think I can get both John Swarbrick and the head of Admiralty Yachts to fly in.

#55 gethighstayhigh

gethighstayhigh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:17 AM

simply there is no other way, it's a different concept, unlike other boats heeling is not the end of the world, rather designed that way

initially tender ( no form stability (via width) is detectable),

The only solution is a deeper, higher aspect keel with a lighter bulb. Better lift, better mechanical advantage once heeled, more resistance to heel past a certain angle, better through the waves and slop because the bulb is about 100+kgs lighter. Add another 0.8-0.9m to draft bringing it to 3.1m or thereabouts.

Wider, higher aspect winglets (more like a boomerang than a F1/11 wing) as originally designed would be faster too.

However, a keel like this would be harder to manage and more easily damaged on a trailer recovery if no crane. So this design is better for a broad interest class.

For IRC or PHRF racing it would be my choice.

GHSH

#56 Geronimo

Geronimo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:44 AM

random photos

Attached Files

#57 Geronimo

Geronimo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:51 AM

more

Attached Files

#58 fullsail

fullsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:58 AM

Well Planaa what at surprise to see my boat SuperBlanc here. Thanks. I guess you had the curiosity to follow the link and find it.
Maybe it is time to open the discussion but it should be on his own thread. Do not want to hijack this one.

Christian.

#59 Geronimo

Geronimo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 02:26 AM

More genoa pics....

http://www.sailingan...x...c=33956&hl=

anyone know why you cant post these large images on here anymore???? As it was done in the past^^^^

#60 fullsail

fullsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:58 AM

Thanks.

I gave a lot of the specs in an earlier post on this thread. Here the others you are asking about. Displacement is 2425 lbs. (1100 kg) and ballast is 1543 lbs. (700 kg). Most of the ballast is in the bulb. The Ballast to Displacement ratio is 64%. The designers sail area is 20 sq mtrs (215 sq ft) and the jib is 15 sq mtrs (161 sq ft). The sailmaker hasn't given an area on the spinnaker yet, so the area is projected at 627 sq ft (58 sq mtrs) using (SLU+SLE)*(ASMG/3+SF/12), where SLU is luff length, SLE is leech length, ASMG is mid-girth and SF is foot length.

I hope to splash this week and have sails by the week of March 11. I am offering test sails the weekend of March 17 & 18 to anyone in the SoCal area (Long Beach). If anyone is interested, please PM me to let me know. I'm trying to get a feel for how many people might show. If I get enough, I think I can get both John Swarbrick and the head of Admiralty Yachts to fly in.

Thanks Bill, happy man.

As I see, the specs are quite the same than the Js 9000 except for the increase in sail area and of course the mast behind the keel.
I looked at all the pictures at Admiralty yacht and emphasize is upon lots of details. This boat seems well built and finish.
Long life to the A30.

Christian

#61 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:59 PM

Are the new ones available in Oz?

#62 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:26 AM

ex Singapore at least, not sure that mr Swarbrick would do a local one now ? exchange rate with SNG is good

#63 Geronimo

Geronimo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:29 AM

This is our genoa measurement sheet from Quantum:

Sail Type: Light/Medium
Construction: Crosscut
Materials: Challenge 4.9 HMW

JS9000 Design:
Design I: 2.512m
Design J: 0.881m

Genoa Design: ( I think these measurements are in meters? I could be wrong)
I: 8.24m
J: 2.98m
% of J: 150%
Clew Height: Race
Number of Draft Strips: 2
No windows
Build to Rule: PHRF
Max Hoist to Cabin Top: 7.772m
Max Hoist to Tack pin: 5.559m
Max Hoist to Stem: 8.674m
Max Hoist to mid-deck: 8.229m
Measured "J" Dimension: 2.89m
Tack set back: 0.025m
Headstay tension: Tight
Tack type: Shackle
Foil Tape Size: 3/16" Bumper
Hank Size: #0 hanks
Mast Rake: 0.762m
Mast Width (Fore and Aft): 0.101
Rig Type: Frac

Genoa Track:
Stem to Front end: 5.575m
Stem to Back end: 5.575m
Max Hoist to Front End: 8.306m
Max Hoist to Back End: 8.306m
Out From CL Front: 0.8128m
Out From CL Back: 0.8128m

Upper Shroud Base:
Down: 8.026m
Back: 3.581m
Out from CL: 0.762m

Forward Shroud Base:
Down: 8.026m
Back: 3.581m
Out from CL: 0.762m

#64 FORSAIL

FORSAIL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:19 AM

ex Singapore at least, not sure if mr Swarbrick could do a local one now ? exchange rate with SNG is ok ?

You may want to email Chia at Admiralty Yachts - he can provide information regarding prices and delivery to any port in Australia. Chia T F chiatf@admiralty.com.sg or http://www.admiralty.com.sg/ (they still have to update their site from the JS9000 to the new ADMIRALTY 30 OD.

#65 myusername

myusername

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:28 AM

Well Planaa what at surprise to see my boat SuperBlanc here. Thanks. I guess you had the curiosity to follow the link and find it.
Maybe it is time to open the discussion but it should be on his own thread. Do not want to hijack this one.

Christian.

make a topic for it and other designs of yours, look interesting.

#66 Geronimo

Geronimo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:46 PM

a few more pics

Attached Files

#67 FORSAIL

FORSAIL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:13 AM

conditions.
The ADMIRALTY 30 OD offers even better performance and is shipping now.
If you are in the area, please plan to visit us in Long Beach.
Pics:

Admiralty 30 OD: Here's a well built boat that currently rates 60, can be sailed with two or three on board, costs $50K and no one wants to go for a sail??

The least we could do is take a quick look and report back to the SA inquiring minds!

#68 fullsail

fullsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:21 AM

I wish great success to this boat.
Come on guys, make noise about it.

Christian

#69 oslo

oslo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:51 PM

Hard facts: my js0000 is lightly modified: larger roach, short sprit, a bit larger jib. Best topspeed alone with 48sqm assymetric 20,2 knots gps. Best hour average 14,2 knots alone with code 0; 14,2 knots. Every season above several rides above 15 knots. The Oslofjord is no hardwind area. Difficult to race to its handicap since the fjord leads to leeward windward courses. Very difficult to find a more fun keelboat to sail one or to up. All the best of luck to Admiralty30. Hope it will go better this time around!

#70 kinardly

kinardly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:22 PM

I must have missed something. Was there a new announcement re this boat?

#71 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

Sailed a JS a few weeks back... fuck me they're amazing

#72 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

I love the concept, but wish they had a smaller version with less draft requirements. I'd buy one in a hearbeat!
Jerry

#73 kinardly

kinardly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:11 PM

Agree about the concept and I'd buy one this size but not for sixty five grand. I know you can spend more on some other boats but that to me is a lot of duckets for a day sailer.

#74 Forza

Forza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:19 AM

Jerryd how much smaller than a 9000, and what draft?
Would draft be an issue if this smaller version had a lift keel along Esse 850 concept?

#75 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:51 AM

Jerryd how much smaller than a 9000, and what draft?
Would draft be an issue if this smaller version had a lift keel along Esse 850 concept?

Good question! Probably 25-26'. Sure, like an Esse in size and a lift keel that is easy to use with a mechanism that doesn't get in the way. The idea for me is to get the price down, have good upwind capbaility with limited crew, and be able to keep at a dock with limited draft needs.

#76 ronk

ronk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:42 AM

It's a boat I've never been able to make my mind uo about, it looks like so much fun and there are many people who come in really happy from a sail. In that respect there's not a lot that can beat it.

There are too many incarnations for proper one-design racing but they'd be great if a small fleet started and stayed on the same page, they appear to have been well sought after as 2nd hand boats, so that's good.

Mixed fleet though they don't appear to have the attraction in some ways of (often cheaper) downwind sleds in the sportsboat fleet. For yacht sailing (where many of them end up) there's the issue that you're sharing a course with much, much bigger boats. There was a JS9000 used to sail in our area and it was absolutely dwarved. Very hard to get clear air and quite possibly terrifying in terms of collisions against boats that could go through you without stopping, can't see you very well up close and tend to race long legs sometimes where you're more exposed to bigger waves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users