44 replies to this topic

#1 40grit

40grit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:28 AM

Thursdays rain and Fridays clearing front, brought big Breeze for the two super sleds trying to break the PV record, set by Joss back in the late 80's
Magnatude and Scout sprit, the final starters for the race left Friday at 1:00
In one of the windiest days we have seen all season. The rumor mill had kicked in they had lost the backstay, followed by the rig and had limped into Long Beach. Before our race on Saturday morning, we motored around the bay looking for the ailing sled.
Sure enough she was tied up in Magnatudes empty slip, with a 15 foot stump of carbon left. The faces of the crew members cleaning up said it all.

#2 fan

fan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:02 AM

Yeah it was a total bummer. So code 4, 23 -28 knots just blasting along 145-150 TWA and bang backstay parted at the navtec fitting mast snappped at jumper than first spreader.

#3 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:09 AM

Is it Friday allready? :P

Attached Files

#4 haggers

haggers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Yacht Racing

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:41 AM

Were the runners on?

#5 on_the_bow

on_the_bow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:48 AM

Were the runners on?

from what i here, yes they were. I wasnt on for this race, but on every other race, pete makes sure they are on... i was out on friday and there were 8-10 foot swells with winds gusting at 35 knots so it was really rough and i am not surprised that the runners did not hold when it happened...

#6 Bad Sandwhich

Bad Sandwhich

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:13 AM

lordy, your English is terrible.

'here' in the context you use should be 'hear'

Peoples names, unless you hold complete contempt for them, begin with a CAPITAL letter (thats what Mommy calls a 'big' letter) so 'pete' should read Pete.

Your word 'wasnt' does not exist in the English language. The word 'wasn't' does, it is a shortening of 'was not.' The apostrophie replaces the absent 'o'

also, unless you have self esteem problems, 'i' also should be a CAPITAL, so press the shift button, then press I - there you go. You did manage to remember for the 2nd sentence.

I hate to be pendantic (look it up Mr On_the_bow) but I do love taking the piss out of Americans. My favorite sport after sailing.

He He

BS

ps - Sorry about the rig guys, it always sucks.

pps - Ed can we have 'punctuation anarchy?'

#7 Riggr

Riggr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:09 PM

Peoples names, unless you hold complete contempt for them, begin with a CAPITAL letter (thats what Mommy calls a 'big' letter) so 'pete' should read Pete.

Your word 'wasnt' does not exist in the English language. The word 'wasn't' does, it is a shortening of 'was not.' The apostrophie replaces the absent 'o'

also, unless you have self esteem problems, 'i' also should be a CAPITAL, so press the shift button, then press I - there you go. You did manage to remember for the 2nd sentence.

I hate to be pendantic (look it up Mr On_the_bow) but I do love taking the piss out of Americans. My favorite sport after sailing.

He He

BS

#8 Riggr

Riggr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:12 PM

He He

BS

#9 Riggr

Riggr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:14 PM

[quote name='fan' date='Feb 25 2007, 07:02 PM' post='1074283']
Yeah it was a total bummer. So code 4, 23 -28 knots just blasting along 145-150 TWA and bang backstay parted at the navtec fitting mast snappped at jumper than first spreader.
[/quote

#10 Jacko_Aus

Jacko_Aus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:29 PM

blah blah blah fuckwit fuckwit fuckwit blah blah blah

Jesus Wept Bloke!!!!

Turkey Slapper, sharp as a tack, awaiting for some well deserved recognition for a superb catch and you come up with that crap!!!

give yerself an uppercut mate!

#11 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,372 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:36 PM

He He

BS

Before you carry on "taking the piss out of Americans," kindly make sure your own punctuation is correct. Maybe it's just me, but here in America we use quoatation marks instead of apostrophes when we quote something. The word self-esteem requires a hyphen, so you screwed the pooch on that one too.

Unlike you, however, I don't really give a shit about a couple punctuation flaws. I was able to perfectly understand what he said, so I don't really care about a typo here and there. Get a life.

#12 Heatwave80

Heatwave80

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:44 PM

Not to mention the fact that you misspelled apostrophe!

#13 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:48 PM

Were the runners on?

From personal experience I can tell you that managing the runners on that boat is really tough. The winches are under sized for the job and I can easily see losing a digit or two at some point. When you go to ease the flipping rope barrell combination isn't easy to get a smooth "ease" out of and it shakes the piss out of the rig when it jumps....

#14 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:27 PM

He He

BS

A few more mistakes from the self-appointed guardian of proper English: "Lordy" should have been capitalized because it is the start of a sentence. In a similar vein you should not begin your second sentence with a lower case letter even if you are quoting. Also, "wasn't" is properly referred to as a contraction, not a shortening. A minor point, but if you are going to start a pissing contest about proper English you'd better get your own shit in order. And finally, you did not even manage to spell pedantic right (you spelled it "pendantic"). I mean seriously, if you're going to preach...

#15 Charliedawg

Charliedawg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:57 PM

He He

BS

"My favorite sport after sailing." I'm not a linguist, but isn't this some type of fractured sentence? Isn't a verb required here?

#16 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,854 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Surfing Flying Skiing

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:23 PM

Mastehead chutes and NON top mast runners.
If/when the permanent backstay goes, sudden invert and failure.

As to comments of runners on, This boat HAS to have the runners on at ALL times. I am sure they were on, hence the top mast failure first. The boys on there were first rate.

A little under winched, but fine for off the wind, the runner winches that is.

PS the picture is THE rig before.

Attached Files

• Attached File  AAA0.JPG   57.04K   168 downloads

#17 on_the_bow

on_the_bow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:41 PM

As to comments of runners on, This boat HAS to have the runners on at ALL times. I am sure they were on, hence the top mast failure first. The boys on there were first rate.

its going to be interesting to see what the new rig is going to be. I believe this is the 4th or 5th rig that they have gone through and this was suposed to be "the rig". apparently they orded a new one today or will by the end of the day...

#18 Hitchhiker

Hitchhiker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:42 PM

He He

BS

A sutdy condukted by a renouned universaty in ingland, fownd thhat typng letrs in the worng ordr or evn misplled altogevr, didnt stop one frum undastadng the meenng of the content. So pissoff and just enjoy the thread for what it is, wanker.

By the way one of my favourite jokes from the yanks about us Brits goes as follows.

An American is in Oxford, enjoying a pleasant stroll. Toward the end of the day, he decides he would like a drink. He approaches a young University student and asks, "Hey fella,do you know where there is a bar at"? The student replies, "In this country we are taught not to end a sentance in a preposition", to which the yank says,"alright, do you know where there is a bar at, asshole".

#19 on_the_bow

on_the_bow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:44 PM

And this is the rig after
Posted Image

#20 haggers

haggers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Yacht Racing

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:51 PM

Do you think the code 4 spin was too big for 25 - 35kn? Should they have been on a fractional spin like a Code 6A instead?

Will they replace the rig? Glad no one hurt.

#21 on_the_bow

on_the_bow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:00 PM

Do you think the code 4 spin was too big for 25 - 35kn? Should they have been on a fractional spin like a Code 6A instead?

Will they replace the rig? Glad no one hurt.

Yes they are going to replace the rig.

#22 Riddle of Brasted

Riddle of Brasted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:20 PM

How the f@#% (I`m sorry about my spelling) could that happen? I think fully crewed that shute shoudn`t be a problem in a 25-35 breeze. Just fun! Was it the carbon mast itself or just a rig failure. There was a whole story of a f@#% up carbon mast on this site last week. That was about a mast with almost every engineering failure that can be in there.

c ya

#23 Bad Sandwhich

Bad Sandwhich

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:22 PM

7 little fishies on my hook, he he he.

and one is a convict!!!!

love you guys x x

BS

#24 on_the_bow

on_the_bow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:31 PM

7 little fishies on my hook, he he he.

and one is a convict!!!!

love you guys x x

BS

go drink your tea dick head

#25 usa25889

usa25889

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:25 PM

This by no means the first time this has happened to the boat. She dropped at least two rigs as Bright Star and possibly one as Zephyrus IV. This was just waiting to happen. After having sailed with the guys, I know that they are top notch and I am very glad that none were reportedly injured. I guess that's what happens when you get some East Coast weather in Socali!

#26 Bad Sandwhich

Bad Sandwhich

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:44 PM

Again, Mr (or should it be Master) on_the_bow (nb the lower case), it should be a capital G in Go.

I believe they do "learning" in the USA, or do they just use the word "School" for the place shootings happen?

BS

ps, Thank you, I did have a very nice cuppa, with a custard cream and a jammy dodger.

#27 NorCalHater

NorCalHater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:10 PM

So.. Correct me if Iím wrong, but this is now the 3rd time that boat has lost a rig in the ocean.

Cursed?

#28 boyscout

boyscout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:33 PM

So.. Correct me if Iím wrong, but this is now the 3rd time that boat has lost a rig in the ocean.

Cursed?

I think it's the 3rd in the pacific and 4th or 5th overall

#29 BeerDidClam

BeerDidClam

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • Interests:algebra. pyrotechnics. greyhound racing.

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:54 PM

And this is the rig after
Posted Image

this picture makes me want a beer....

#30 fan

fan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:06 PM

Runner was sort of on. We were having issues with the primary winch (the guy) moving around quite a bit. Which is normal for this boat but it was also cracking into the the core of the deck. Therefore we had taken the tail from the guy and braced it 2:1 using the runner winch. The runner was loaded over the top of that. Not being the guy paying for it I believe we were lucky the runner wasn't on. If it had been we may have just broke the top. Which would leave us with the main and spin up and no way to lower without sending someone aloft. It was 20+ with a pretty large confused sea so it wouldn't have been a pretty. We had a great group on the boat which is why we managed to get most of the Code 4 back, the main in one piece, nobody injured and no additional damage to the boat.

P.S We use 0 runner off the wind. The boat is mast head the runners aren't all you'll do is invert the rig if you put runner on.

#31 Hitchhiker

Hitchhiker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:45 PM

I just want to note here, that that looks like Buster standing in the cockpit. IIRC, wasn't he also on Merlin 2 years ago for a Newport Cabo race when they dropped the rig. Coincidence? I'm just saying!

#32 o69u812

o69u812

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:54 PM

Hey - Whats up with the lifelines and stanchions gone on both sides of the boay? I can see one side being dusted off w/ the rig over the side (been there a few times) but both sides?

#33 o69u812

o69u812

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:55 PM

boat

#34 caneesq

caneesq

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:55 PM

^ Was thinking the same thing this morning when I read this thread.

#35 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:28 PM

Glad everyone is OK.

They'll make more rigs. I bet cleaning up that mes was fun ( NOT ) - did it go at night ? Always seems to be dark & windy when things go wrong.

#36 NorCalHater

NorCalHater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:41 PM

I think it's the 3rd in the pacific and 4th or 5th overall

Thanx for the clarification

#37 Rhett

Rhett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, r.c. models, running, cycling, being outside, in the sun.

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:00 AM

I know the boat was being sold, but did the new owner already take charge? I guess the boat's got its issues, but hitting 15 while riding it from catalina back to newport sure made me smile.

Rhett

#38 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,854 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Surfing Flying Skiing

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:39 AM

We sailed in 35 true with the 2A on this beast to Hawaii last year in T Pac in the Molokai Channel and the winch did not move and the boat flew along just fine at 23-24 knots. I do know however that Ty and Slaughter were checking the winch bases periodically though.

Must have been the backwashy San Pedro channel slop that tweaked it.

I am sure that after several stanchions were challenged with Cobalt shrouds, that the boys derigged the lines so all stanchions did not go bye bye. That or they did get mangled on the initial rig drop while the boat was going 15.

Attached Files

#39 IanA.

IanA.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:41 AM

He He

BS

Bit Harsh

#40 duncan (the other one)

duncan (the other one)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:55 AM

knock the pins out with a punch and a pound hammer?
(btw, afaik the VO's were all PBO)

#41 cove

cove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:19 PM

Here is a tool that you can use the boats hydraulic system. if you place a quick disconnects to the outhaul or vang you could use the boats pump to cut the rig away

http://www.izumi-pro...e.asp?prodid=71

Just wondering what you boyz cut the shrouds away with. We dropped our rig on Captivity (ex Sagamore / 80' maxi) one week before going through the Windward Passage en route to Jamiaca on the Pineapple Cup.

Unfortunately battery powered grinder was not up to the job and we were faced with 4 1/2" SST rods to get through without a grinder. We managed by doing the unspeakable.

Afterwards we had some discussion as to what the proper tool would have been. We were beam to the seas with the fallen spar acting as a drogue. The frequent wave would bring copious amounts of blue water over the deck which would not do good things to a grinder (AC or DC).

The shotgun charge powered cutters look interesting but having this kind of explosives on the boat seems less than ideal and once again you are back at a "what if it gets wet or damp" scenario.

Hacksaw with a carbide blade was laughable. Trust me. Almost useless. Would have been faster to use salsa as the fella did to break out of the Mexican prison some years ago.

We talked about hydraulic cutters as an option.. Wondered if any have used those and what the experience with them is..

We were 1 1/2 hours in total cutting the rig away which should have been a 10 minute job with the right tool. Would be nice to know what the best possible tool would be....

Any idea what the Volvo boyz are using??

Cheers..

#42 fan

fan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:22 PM

We attempted to save the rig first. Once we got the main and spin off we almost had the rig on the boat when the runner pulled out of the rig. After that we decided to cut it away before it did any real damage. We did not have an appropriate tool for cutting through the D's and shrouds. We managed to knock the the pin out on one side but the other was to looaded/twisted. We actually undid the turnbuckle. I'm not sure what our next option would have been if it had been bent or f'ed up. We had a hack saw with carbide blade but it would have taken forever and with broken carbon spreaders swinging around attached to the shrouds, speed was off the essence. I believe hydrolic cutters are what is being used by most. We were side to the waves with the rig acting as a drouge with water everyewhere and a very unstable work platform.

#43 The Commodork

The Commodork

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,899 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:14 PM

Hydraulic cutters are carried on the AC chase boats. Some may have different solutions but the big cutters plus the carbide hack saw is pretty standard and reliable.

#44 bos'n

bos'n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:30 PM

The boat seems to have a history of losing it's rig near Catalina. This is at least the second, maybe the third time.
I've done quite a few miles on this boat and it was descibed to me as the 'black sheep' of the R/P 75's.

Perhaps we should step the mast on a coin this time instead of taping up a $5 bill that someone lost.

#45 on_the_bow

on_the_bow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:51 AM

The boat seems to have a history of losing it's rig near Catalina. This is at least the second, maybe the third time.
I've done quite a few miles on this boat and it was descibed to me as the 'black sheep' of the R/P 75's.

Perhaps we should step the mast on a coin this time instead of taping up a $5 bill that someone lost.

Actually that was a wager that was never rcovered by the margaritaville guys, but good idea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users