• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dogsailors

dogsailors

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:51 PM

Hey I am seriously considering a valiant esprit 37. Does anyone have any experience? Real info I dont want to here about blisters. the one I have a contract on has never had a blister problem.

#2 jhiller

jhiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:16 AM

Hey I am seriously considering a valiant esprit 37. Does anyone have any experience? Real info I dont want to here about blisters. the one I have a contract on has never had a blister problem.

The former editor of Yachting World Mag had one. He wrote a lot about his experiences with the 37. I recall that he was very happy with the boat and touted its sailing and build quality a lot.

I think it is a very fine choice .
Jim

#3 A1A

A1A

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Ummm..........sailing?

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:08 AM

From the V-37's listed on Yachtworld, appears that most of these boats are late -70's to early -80's. While you may not want to "here" about blisters because the boat you are looking at "has never had a blister problem." -- Never say never. You may want to budget for a barrier coat anyway.

#4 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:56 AM

The only thing about the early Valiants (when they were built by Tollycraft in WA) was their 'experimentation' with fire-retardant resins. There were a few model years where they tried this and it wasn't long after that the boats developed serious blistering.

I do not know if the Espirit had this problem. It was sort of a one-off.

Where's Bob when these conversations come up?? :unsure:

He's the authority, no doubt.

#5 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,386 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:10 PM

I had one too, hull number one RICKY NELSON.
It was a lovable boat. A bit too much weather helm and I had a too bendy rig in it for single spreaders.
I had no blister problems that I recall. I had non skid issues and the overall quality was really just so so.
But I loved that boat.
The cockpit was a bit small and I'm 6'3 and there was place for me to spread out.
That was one of the prettiest fannys I have ever drawn.
My young, pregnant wife thought the V berth was too high. My kids are 26 and 28 now.
I always stop and admire the beauty of the Esprit whenever I see one.
I sailed the boat a lot by myself and it never let me down.
Boy, the memories that brings back.

#6 cardiacpaul

cardiacpaul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:17 PM

Thank you for weighing in Mr. Perry. :)

I had one too, hull number one RICKY NELSON.
It was a lovable boat. A bit too much weather helm and I had a too bendy rig in it for single spreaders.
I had no blister problems that I recall. I had non skid issues and the overall quality was really just so so.
But I loved that boat.
The cockpit was a bit small and I'm 6'3 and there was place for me to spread out.
That was one of the prettiest fannys I have ever drawn.
My young, pregnant wife thought the V berth was too high. My kids are 26 and 28 now.
I always stop and admire the beauty of the Esprit whenever I see one.
I sailed the boat a lot by myself and it never let me down.
Boy, the memories that brings back.

#7 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

I know this thread is a bit old but I didn't see the point to start a new one for this question.

Can Bob (or anybody) give me some contrasts of the Valiant 40 and the 37?

Why is there such a HUGE price diff between the two boats?
How usable is the forward head when at sea?
What is the BIGGEST difference besides just the size issue?

I love the Valiant 40's but the purchase/departure budget will make it take longer for us to leave, and we will not delay long enough to budget for the 40'. Again, why is the 40 SO MUCH more $$$?

My wife and I are making our shortlist for a liveaboard. We plan on working somewhere for a year or so while we do long weekend trips in the local area. And then taking anywhere from 3-9 months to cruise to the next job location. A typical live aboard would be to heavy/slow (esp if we have to go upwind). I prefer a cutter rig, modified keel. although we will consider sloop/fin also. We may need to head upwind to keep to a schedule/ make the next job location and not always stick to the standard cruiser route/season. so NO ketches and likely NO full keels.

We are quite minimalist, even by sailor standards. For instance, we spent a significant amount of time aboard a Freedom 30 (The biggest 30' accommodations I have ever seen - Quarter Stateroom bunk is 5'4" wide)we found it GREAT for extended cruises, but would be just a bit small for us to live on.

I REALLY like the F38 (mull also) it has GREAT accommodations, but that HUGE main can be a pain getting up and down when we plan on double handing almost all the time.

and plus a Perry boat would give us an excuse to bring the boat home someday to make the Perry rendevouz (we live in HK now, but are PNW natives, not planning on living back there for a WHILE though)

#8 sailSAK

sailSAK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:44 AM

Reflections - sign on to SA and send me a PM!
Edit: Just saw the date on this thread. In any event S/V Reflections is back again in the South Pacific and the boat and crew doing just fine.

#9 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,386 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

Baldy:
I don't recall any of the Esprits being built wirth Hetron resin. Mine was not and mine was the first. So while they may have some osmotic blistering, like most grp boats, they will not suffer from the "skin cancer" blisters of the Uniflyte (Tollycraft never built an Esprit) built Valiants.

And, if you want to come to the Perry rendezvous in a Mull design that's just fine with me. Gary and I were pals. You can rent a strap-on canoe stern.

#10 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

You can rent a strap-on canoe stern.

damn Bob, you're good at this shit.

#11 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,386 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

Rick:
Tollycraft built some Fast Passages. I think that's what you were thinking.

#12 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

Definitely some fire-retardant resin out there on some of the 37s... from a listing on Yachtword:

xyz is a Uniflite boat, and was built with fire retardant resin which was discovered caused blisters

#13 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

I don't know the full story with that resin. It wasn't on earlier Valiants. I'm sure someone knows which years they were.

#14 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,386 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Irie:
I think you are correct.I was wrong. Uniflyte did build some of the later Esprits so I suspect they used the Hetron resin. If the boat has a molded in Treadmaster style non skid then it is a Uniflyte boat. The Nordic Esprits had the glued down Vetus non skid panels.

#15 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,971 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:30 AM

I know this thread is a bit old but I didn't see the point to start a new one for this question.

Can Bob (or anybody) give me some contrasts of the Valiant 40 and the 37?

Why is there such a HUGE price diff between the two boats?
How usable is the forward head when at sea?
What is the BIGGEST difference besides just the size issue?

I love the Valiant 40's but the purchase/departure budget will make it take longer for us to leave, and we will not delay long enough to budget for the 40'. Again, why is the 40 SO MUCH more $$?

My wife and I are making our shortlist for a liveaboard. We plan on working somewhere for a year or so while we do long weekend trips in the local area. And then taking anywhere from 3-9 months to cruise to the next job location. A typical live aboard would be to heavy/slow (esp if we have to go upwind). I prefer a cutter rig, modified keel. although we will consider sloop/fin also. We may need to head upwind to keep to a schedule/ make the next job location and not always stick to the standard cruiser route/season. so NO ketches and likely NO full keels.

We are quite minimalist, even by sailor standards. For instance, we spent a significant amount of time aboard a Freedom 30 (The biggest 30' accommodations I have ever seen - Quarter Stateroom bunk is 5'4" wide)we found it GREAT for extended cruises, but would be just a bit small for us to live on.

I REALLY like the F38 (mull also) it has GREAT accommodations, but that HUGE main can be a pain getting up and down when we plan on double handing almost all the time.

and plus a Perry boat would give us an excuse to bring the boat home someday to make the Perry rendevouz (we live in HK now, but are PNW natives, not planning on living back there for a WHILE though)

Since everyone else has ignored your question Baldy, I have a go.

The price differential between the V40 and the E37 is due to them being two very different boats. While only nominally 3' longer the V40 is about 1 1/2 times the boat in volume, load carrying capacity, tankage etc.

Basically it is a MUCH bigger boat. Going long term cruising in each would be like chaulk and cheese comparatively.

Displacement = Dollars.

Also I think you will find most V40's would come with more gear than an E37.

#16 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,386 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

Baldy:
Normally I try to confine in depth comments for perspective buyers to my consultation service. I like to get paid for my advice. But just went to Spike's Facebook page and said good morning to him so I am in a good moo.

I owned both an Esprit 37, RICKY NELSON and a Valiant 40 (with a partner) SEAHAWK. The Valiant 40 is easier to sail as it tracks better de to it's length and is the stiffer boat. The 40 is also much faster off the wind and as Paps said is far more roomier due to its size. It also has a bigger cockpit.

The Esprit is just as fast upwind as the V40 in light to moderate air but the 40 has the advantage in a blow. The Esprit cockpit is a bit on the small side and I never could find a really comfortable place to sprawl and read.
The layout of the Esprit is basic and works extremely well. I liked that layout. Very comfortable for cruising alone.

The Esprit is just a far better looking boat in my eye. I'd climb into the Avon on a chilly, very quiet morning and slowly and slwly row around the Esprit and I really dont think I ever found an angle where the boat did not look great. Of course I am tremendously biased.

If I desgined the Esprit today I would move he mast forward 16" to make the boat easier, more forgiving, to balance. I'd also give it more draft. I'd also give it a double spreader rig. I'd also make it 40' long so it could have a better cockpit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users