116 replies to this topic

#101 quartertonner

quartertonner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:50 PM

I thought the VO-70's were beautiful boats, but this one makes me want to puke, and I'm sure it would be worse in any kind of sea-way.

They definatly should have left it clear-coated carbon and just put a white puma across the front 1/2 of the hull.

yeh that would have looked siiick. the big shoe thing doesnt do it for me, kinda lame i rekon. the simple paint jobs look better

#102 TheFrisco

TheFrisco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:17 PM

I guess just the fact that so many comments are being generated by the paint job proves a point for advertising ... it generates a buzz and that's all they probably care about ... who cares if it looks good or not?

TheFrisco

PS: I by the way like the shoe look ... in case anybody cares ... :-)

#103 Peacefrog

Peacefrog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:40 PM

I have to be a little careful as I sailed on the bank sponsored Farr 40, but did any of you think that the graphic job on the ABN boats was pretty? These boats are ADVERTISING tools period! That is how they are made, paid and sailed.

PUMA has done an incredible job of branding this boat.

As to the color of this boat, I showed the pictures to my room mate who is a very good professional commercial photographer and he starting ranting about the filters and the lighting that the pictures are taking in. He is quite sure that the color is very much like the red suede shoe that PUMA has and features.

Just my thoughts.

#104 Gone To Plaid

Gone To Plaid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:47 PM

I have to be a little careful as I sailed on the bank sponsored Farr 40, but did any of you think that the graphic job on the ABN boats was pretty? These boats are ADVERTISING tools period! That is how they are made, paid and sailed.

PUMA has done an incredible job of branding this boat.

As to the color of this boat, I showed the pictures to my room mate who is a very good professional commercial photographer and he starting ranting about the filters and the lighting that the pictures are taking in. He is quite sure that the color is very much like the red suede shoe that PUMA has and features.

Just my thoughts.

I actually did like the ABN boats. Especially ABN1, and your Farr 40, in Black. It helps that the company has a good log, and good colors to start with. Then to map that onto the boats, they did a good job.

As for Puma, they have a good logo too, and in any color they want - I think that the whole "shoe" thing just didn't work well. I think I would have liked it more if the deck had been pink too, and the shoelace holes had gone on deck down the centerline, leaving the freeboard for the logo without as much visual clutter.

#105 siler

siler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:04 PM

I do like the PUMA boat and I thank God that CROCS don't sponsor a boat ...

#106 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:45 PM

I actually did like the ABN boats. Especially ABN1, and your Farr 40, in Black. It helps that the company has a good log, and good colors to start with. Then to map that onto the boats, they did a good job.

As for Puma, they have a good logo too, and in any color they want - I think that the whole "shoe" thing just didn't work well. I think I would have liked it more if the deck had been pink too, and the shoelace holes had gone on deck down the centerline, leaving the freeboard for the logo without as much visual clutter.

I don't think it matters whether you like it or not, so long as you look at it and have an opinion, they want a reaction and they seem to be getting it here -it doesn't work if it's blah, blah.

just an opinion and we all know what they are worth around here.

#107 woof

woof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:51 AM

two pages of posts discussing a paint job.

when they do something interesting we'll have bandwidth meltdown.

ww

ps

Any Puma lurkers here by the way? 'fess up.

#108 Roller Skates

Roller Skates

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:21 AM

I heard on NPR two nights ago that Puma was being sold, that's not going to put this little adventure to bed is it? I'd hate to lose a team to something like that.

#109 SloopJohnB

SloopJohnB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:03 PM

OK we have seen enough discussion about the paint job. Lets talk about the detail which is fanatic. Look at the stitching. the shadowing around the stictching and the overlap on the joins, The texture of the material.

Is it a paint job or a transfer???

http://www.clubracer...opic.php?t=2956

If it does smell they can always use "Grans Remedy". http://www.gransremedy.co.nz/1.htm

Attached Files

#110 Roeboat

Roeboat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:19 PM

And if lines are hanging over the side, somebody's bound to say "Your shoelaces are undone!" Gawd.
:lol:

#111 lucas

lucas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:38 PM

OK we have seen enough discussion about the paint job. Lets talk about the detail which is fanatic. Look at the stitching. the shadowing around the stictching and the overlap on the joins, The texture of the material.

Is it a paint job or a transfer???

http://www.clubracer...opic.php?t=2956
If it does smell they can always use "Grans Remedy". http://www.gransremedy.co.nz/1.htm

It's a transfer, the whole hull is wrapped in a large print...

#112 USA-7

USA-7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:09 PM

The thing I like the best about it is the rollerscate ! imagine this thing towed through city streets like a parade float,
:o :o :o

#113 SloopJohnB

SloopJohnB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:20 PM

It's a transfer, the whole hull is wrapped in a large print...

It looks like just to the waterline. That could explain the dip on the bow sections waterline.

Attached Files

#114 Kevin

Kevin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:48 PM

Puma must be mighty fed up to see that appear again. Here's what they said, first time round, back in 2003.
PUMA AG Statement regarding unauthorized "bad taste advertisement":
It has been brought to our attention that several unauthorized, sexually suggestive advertisements portraying the PUMA brand have been released over the Internet. We are appalled that images like these would be created and distributed under the PUMA name. As a brand, we seek to take a unique perspective toward our advertising in an effort to challenge the boundaries of our industry; however we would never consider using these tactics.
We are in the process of researching the circumstances and reserve any legal steps available.

And you actually believe that tripe? :rolleyes:

The ad was viral marketing. Of course they wouldn't admit it was theirs, but c'mon... that thing spread like wild-fire when it first showed up a few years ago. Pretty much every forum I read had the pic on it at some point or another. Who knows how many million people quickly Googled PUMA to check out their official site to see if it really was their ad. ;)

It was genius!

Oh, and the vinyled boat looks awesome too!

#115 Bad Sandwhich

Bad Sandwhich

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:40 PM

And after all of that discussion Puma have decided to change it.

it looked really good too - up close it actually had leather effect on the graphic.

fyi - the job was done by Grapefruit Graphics who are in the UK pretty swish stuff. They have done most of the ships in Valencia as well as ABN 1 & 2 and Erricson.

BS

#116 kawalski

kawalski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:00 PM

I do not know how monitors work in USA but here from europe this doesn't look pink. it looks like a lightly faded red, looking like red suede. very puma.
You would need an apple ipod entry as sponsor or porsche design or luis vuitton to get really cool looking boats. In last years I think the first luna rossa was really elegant.

Which sponsor in your opinion would bring the best looking boats?

roca

imagine if burberry did an entry!?!? that could possibly be the worst looking boat in history.

#117 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,074 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:39 PM

Too many old farts on here who think the only proper color for a boat is white or blue... Fuck that! the boat looks ill (and I mean that in a good way). My guess is if you wear docksiders puma's not trying to market their shit to you. chances are they're trying to market to people that Chuck Taylors and the high tech Sperrys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users