RumBulls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,336 posts
  • Interests:Was J24s
    Now is Olson30s

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:34 PM

Searched for an area 5 thread to no avail.

For being the home of 2 100+ boat, regattas( Red Fox and Ugotta(LTYC inv.)...I figured it was time for an Area V thread.

There's talks in the work for a Lake Charlevoix Cup series that would include races from the CYC and the BCYC. All to premote further growth and interest in the area...Maybe even bring back a championship series.

What say you?

#2 Stormtiger

Stormtiger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:51 PM

It would have to be after the Red Fox, because you have to factor in that there is only so many weekends in the core summer season.

Would it be like the Triangle race? We were looking for a place to take the J after the season...If there was a regatta after the Red Fox we might bring her over for an extended stay.

Get a good sponsor and you might have something.

#3 Call Me Boomvang

Call Me Boomvang

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Interests:Breaking Wind
    Shirking Work
    Passing Blame
    Irritating Strangers
    Cracking Wise
    Composing Haiku
    Cold Chillin
    Knocking About

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:12 PM

Do I hear Area I Anarchy? Do I hear Area IV ananchy?

...Cricket noises...

I guess these guys dont hang out publicly on Sailing Anarchy.

#4 Tomahawk

Tomahawk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Lasers, Hobies, Melges 24's, Farr 40's

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:34 PM

Too many boats lose crew and interest after the Red Fox. Good luck.

#5 RumBulls

RumBulls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,336 posts
    Now is Olson30s

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:07 PM

It would have to be after the Red Fox, because you have to factor in that there is only so many weekends in the core summer season.

Would it be like the Triangle race? We were looking for a place to take the J after the season...If there was a regatta after the Red Fox we might bring her over for an extended stay.

Get a good sponsor and you might have something.

The idea is more about a "series"...cumilative regatta series that combines CYC and BCYC events (already in place) to a overall Lake Charlevoix Cup Championship.

#6 RumBulls

RumBulls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,336 posts
    Now is Olson30s

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:56 AM

Rules seminar, April 18th in Boyne City

#7 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:59 AM

Lake Michigan Sail Racing Federation
1st Annual Survey
January 26, 2009 - February 7, 2009

LMSRF has put together a survey to learn what racing boat owners and crews want in racing from organizing authorities, ideas on how we can grow participation and how we are doing overall. The most important message we wish to send is to forward this link to all of your crew members, your fleets, and get input from as far and wide across Lake Michigan as possible. We can't emphasize this enough. Results will be tabulated and shared on the LMSRF website for all of us to learn from (G-rated responses only!). We expect to incorporate your thoughts in the 2009 season plans.

Thank you, now here's the link and please respond fully.

Survey Link

Sincerely,
Donald Thinschmidt
LMSRF Commodore

#8 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:46 PM

1st Annual Survey Results

LMSRF has compiled the results of the 1st Annual Survey including all of the essay answers (minus the ones that weren't "G" rated) and has them available for all Lake Michigan Sailors to review. We especially encourage all Organizing Authorities to listen to what the Sailors want. By responding to the needs of your customers, your events may grow and provide better satisfaction for all concerned.

Read the full results at: http://www.lmsrf.org...survey_2009.htm

As a reward for completing the survey, 2 sailors out of 133 who provided their names in a random drawing have won free memberships in LMSRF for the 2009 season. Congratulations Lake Michigan Sail Racing Federation Members:

Jon Fischer

Paul Murray

Sincerely,

Donald Thinschmidt LMSRF Commodore

#9 RumBulls

RumBulls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,336 posts
    Now is Olson30s

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:21 PM

1st Annual Survey Results

LMSRF has compiled the results of the 1st Annual Survey including all of the essay answers (minus the ones that weren't "G" rated) and has them available for all Lake Michigan Sailors to review. We especially encourage all Organizing Authorities to listen to what the Sailors want. By responding to the needs of your customers, your events may grow and provide better satisfaction for all concerned.

Read the full results at: http://www.lmsrf.org...survey_2009.htm

As a reward for completing the survey, 2 sailors out of 133 who provided their names in a random drawing have won free memberships in LMSRF for the 2009 season. Congratulations Lake Michigan Sail Racing Federation Members:

Jon Fischer

Paul Murray

Sincerely,

Donald Thinschmidt LMSRF Commodore

???

I am on the board of a YC that is a lmsrf member and I had NO idea you were running a survey. How about that.

I'd like to know how many racers in area 5 know they are in area 5 or even know that there is a lmsrf area 5.

There is no championship, no series, and no organization of area 5.

Please IM me if you wish to discuss further.

#10 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:41 PM

The invitation has been sent out to all LMSRF members with an email address registered, to all the LMSRF YC's, via the LMSRF Yahoo list, Here on SA (just see above) - So I dunno how you must have slipped through the cracks - or been asleep :P

Dunno much about what LMSRF does for A5 to be honest.

16 people from A5 participated in the survey

#11 haz

haz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:44 PM

???

I am on the board of a YC that is a lmsrf member and I had NO idea you were running a survey. How about that.

I'd like to know how many racers in area 5 know they are in area 5 or even know that there is a lmsrf area 5.

As an organization, LMSRF is almost totally funded by Chicago sailors, hence the focus is totally Chicago-centric (not Area 3 ... Chicago).

As the Vice Commodore of Area 4 I can say the central organization provides no support or financing for any of our programs, nor would I want them to.

Area 5 has a Vice Commodore (Linda Orlow). There is no one outside of Area 5 who cares whether there's any organization within Area 5. It's always been and always will be a "roll your own" situation.

In Area 4 we started some interclub meetings and try to coordinate our race schedules so we're not stepping on each other's toes. We score a few series (Offshore, Area 4 Shoreline, BOTY, etc.) using each active clubs regattas and how a boat scores within whatever section they're put in by the OA. It ain't perfect, but it helps promote each club's events and gets boats to move around a bit.

You're welcome to copy our scoring method, but someone up there has to do the work. Happy to help if I can.

Haz

#12 RumBulls

RumBulls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,336 posts
    Now is Olson30s

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:44 PM

The invitation has been sent out to all LMSRF members with an email address registered, to all the LMSRF YC's, via the LMSRF Yahoo list, Here on SA (just see above) - So I dunno how you must have slipped through the cracks - or been asleep :P

What would LMSRF like to do for A5.... be honest.

#13 RumBulls

RumBulls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,336 posts
    Now is Olson30s

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:58 PM

???

As an organization, LMSRF is almost totally funded by Chicago sailors, hence the focus is totally Chicago-centric (not Area 3 ... Chicago).

As the Vice Commodore of Area 4 I can say the central organization provides no support or financing for any of our programs, nor would I want them to.

Area 5 has a Vice Commodore (Linda Orlow). There is no one outside of Area 5 who cares whether there's any organization within Area 5. It's always been and always will be a "roll your own" situation.

In Area 4 we started some interclub meetings and try to coordinate our race schedules so we're not stepping on each other's toes. We score a few series (Offshore, Area 4 Shoreline, BOTY, etc.) using each active clubs regattas and how a boat scores within whatever section they're put in by the OA. It ain't perfect, but it helps promote each club's events and gets boats to move around a bit.

You're welcome to copy our scoring method, but someone up there has to do the work. Happy to help if I can.

Haz

Lets step back to the basics...

LMSRF Area5 exists why? What benefits does my YC get by paying dues to LMSRF? What are the benefits of being an individual member?

LMSRF is totally absent from Area 5.... what steps are they going to take to fix this?

#14 haz

haz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

Simple ...

LMSRF's core obligation is to provide the regional protest appeal service for Lake Michigan. They also have a good Grant In Aid program funded by an endowment fund that is available to all members. LMSRF is a 501-c3 corporation, so they are able to take tax advantaged donations and use the money for specific community related sailing programs targeted by the donor. As the RSA for Lake Michigan, LMSRF is the local unit of US Sailing and is represented in Area K, so we run the regional qualifiers for US Sailing championships, both junior and senior (Mallory Cup, Smith/Bemis, etc.). As a charter member of YRUGL, LMSRF sends a team (or teams) to the Richardson Cup, the Great Lakes match racing championship. Any LMSRF member club qualifies to enter a team.

Please note that most ALL the activities listed above are currently provided by volunteers. There is little of LMSRF's budget used to support these core values.

Haz

#15 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

I have no clue - i am just a menial member of LMSRF, who (in a bit of frustration of the way racing in Chicago is conducted) lobbied, got the OK nod, put together the study and helped condense the learnings from the study under the auspices of LMSRF. Now; I (and others) will use the results as a tool to convince race organizers to change the water activities to better suit the sailors. I suggest you direct your questions to your area rep/s - they will be moch better suited to answer your question.

#16 haz

haz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:17 PM

???

Haz

LMSRF Area5 exists why? What benefits does my YC get by paying dues to LMSRF? What are the benefits of being an individual member?

LMSRF is totally absent from Area 5.... what steps are they going to take to fix this?

First, your yacht club pays $125 to be a member of LMSRF and then gets 1/2 off the US Sailing membership fee of $250, so your a member of both for the same price. That gets your club and it's members access to grants and appeals.

Area 5 (and all the others) exist so your region has the opportunity to be represented and influence the direction of the organization. No one's going to do that FOR you, so the steps that need to be taken to fix the situation need to be taken locally.

I've ALWAYS argued that the individual membership costs of LMSRF were out of line for non-Chicago sailors. If the money only had to support the core values I believe the organization should champion, I'd think $5 would be a good dues level. A hell of a lot more individuals would join!

Haz

#17 RumBulls

RumBulls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,336 posts
    Now is Olson30s

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:56 PM

???

Haz

First, your yacht club pays $125 to be a member of LMSRF and then gets 1/2 off the US Sailing membership fee of $250, so your a member of both for the same price. That gets your club and it's members access to grants and appeals.

Area 5 (and all the others) exist so your region has the opportunity to be represented and influence the direction of the organization. No one's going to do that FOR you, so the steps that need to be taken to fix the situation need to be taken locally.

I've ALWAYS argued that the individual membership costs of LMSRF were out of line for non-Chicago sailors. If the money only had to support the core values I believe the organization should champion, I'd think $5 would be a good dues level. A hell of a lot more individuals would join!

Haz

I agree and thank you for the education. I will use it the best I can.

#18 Glenn McCarthy

Glenn McCarthy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

The Lake Michigan Sail Racing Federation (of which Area V is one region):

Has a new website that is about 2 weeks old we invite you to visit LMSRF Website
Opened up its newsletters in 2012 from "member only" to all crew, owners, club board members, significant others, or anyone else who wold like to track what is happening on Lake Michigan. See this years newsletters. And sign up for free to get the newsletters monthly (The LMSRF Operating Policies restrict use of your email address ONLY to send you these newsletters). Targeted information right for the region you sail in.

Thank you.

#19 Glenn McCarthy

Glenn McCarthy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

The America’s Cup Trophy is in Chicago (for the first time ever) on Thursday, June 20, 2013!

1. Look for it on a 4 minute segment on the WGN Midday News program from 11:00am – 12:00pm
  1. Then 6:30 p.m. at:
    The Book Stall
    811 Elm Street
    Winnetka, IL 60093

Buy your book “The Billionaire and the Mechanic” (have it signed by the Author Julian Guthrie who is doing a signing after a reading), the DVD “The Wind Gods” and get a picture of you with the Cup!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users