25 replies to this topic

#1 LakeBoy

LakeBoy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:11 PM

HOBOKEN, N.J. -- He's a veteran of long-distance sailing voyages in all kinds of weather. She's never sailed outside the Hudson River. But together, 55-year-old Reid Stowe and his 23-year-old girlfriend, Soanya Ahmad, embarked Saturday on a voyage that they intend to take them three times around the globe and last 1,000 days and nights - nonstop, with no port calls for supplies or a walk on solid ground.

They set sail Saturday afternoon aboard his 70-foot, two-masted schooner, named the Schooner Anne, from a Hudson River marina in North Hoboken, in bright sunshine and temperatures in the 70s.

Story
http://seattlepi.nws...tml?source=mypi

Their site
http://www.1000days.net/

Blog
http://1000daysatsea.blogspot.com/

#2 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,014 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:00 PM

Solar panels will generate enough electricity for the satellite communication and navigation system and for lights. Along with sending and receiving e-mail via satellite, they expect to post photographs, videos and blogs on their Web site.

This is going to be one hell of an interesting blog. Pictures of ... ocean. Or land from a distance. WTF are they going to blog about? Let's start a pool. One buck to enter, proceeds go to Dawgs sailing program. Today is April 22, 2007. I give them until Sept 6th.

#3 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,730 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:24 PM

What day does the Atlantic Hurricane season kick-off this year?...........

#4 svbravo

svbravo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:47 PM

Read that his ex wife gave the happy couple a "liferaft" as a bon voyage present!!!

(Bet it's an inflatable doll !!!)

sv bravo
Seattle

#5 USA-7

USA-7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:00 AM

anyone new to this story should look at the 'crazy way to build a boat' thread in SA. The offcenter antics of this crackpot have been going on for years and years. I suspect the city of NY finaly threated to come down on him for discharging raw sewage etc. and he is on the move now, with a rather less substantial inventory than he reperted, and will be looking for a port after a respectable 'honeymoon' or perhaps 30-45 days. it only remains a question where he can land where he can begin a reasonalbe panhandling concession.

In the pool, I will take june 22nd.

on that day from their new mooring in the Carribean, it will be announced that their test cruise, tho less than the 200 days trial envisioned, was a smashing success, and it will be revealed that his little lady is pregers with their son, and he wants to have the baby at sea, so needs mucho dinero please for a new 1000 day start date of jan 1 2008.

#6 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,730 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:30 AM

And Ken Barnes will sail out to meet them and play the mid-wife. This story can only get better by the day................

#7 Reality Fluno

Reality Fluno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Offshore performance cruising--Med, North Atlantic, Chesapeake, Antilles.

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:57 AM

anyone new to this story should look at the 'crazy way to build a boat' thread in SA. The offcenter antics of this crackpot have been going on for years and years. I suspect the city of NY finaly threated to come down on him for discharging raw sewage etc. and he is on the move now, with a rather less substantial inventory than he reperted, and will be looking for a port after a respectable 'honeymoon' or perhaps 30-45 days. it only remains a question where he can land where he can begin a reasonalbe panhandling concession.

In the pool, I will take june 22nd.

on that day from their new mooring in the Carribean, it will be announced that their test cruise, tho less than the 200 days trial envisioned, was a smashing success, and it will be revealed that his little lady is pregers with their son, and he wants to have the baby at sea, so needs mucho dinero please for a new 1000 day start date of jan 1 2008.

my fave:
>>The Consorzio del Formaggio Parmigiano-Reggiano has donated 250 pounds of Parmigiano Reggiano® cheese. This amazingly nutritious 100% natural cheese has been produced in a small carefully controlled production district in north central Italy for...>

#8 Digital Vibrations

Digital Vibrations

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:43 AM

They actually left? I never thought that would happen...

#9 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,014 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:27 AM

The siege of Stalingrad lasted a bit over 1000 days, and the Russians were eating rats to survive. These two twits won't last 6 months out of sight of a Raleys.

#10 vouz etes ici

vouz etes ici

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:57 PM

One word: POPTARTS

OK, two words: FRYING PAN

:P

#11 USA-7

USA-7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:13 PM

livin on cheese, 250 lb, 1/2 lb a day each, but how does cheese age, on a boat, in the tropics...
makes me think of blocked drains. I suppose Reids good with drains..?

#12 Wayne

Wayne

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:38 PM

I think it's a scam to get as many donations as they can and milk it for as long as it's profitable until they quit. They will be anchored some place getting donations on their website.

And people will donate.....

One word: POPTARTS

OK, two words: FRYING PAN

:P

#13 aja

aja

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:57 PM

Great - The AP got hold of the story: http://www.burlingto...b...1004&theme=

Now 4 non-sailors have approached me this morning to ask about this momentious achievement and I have set them straight with some facts...

#14 CowboyKell

CowboyKell

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:14 PM

Great - The AP got hold of the story: http://www.burlingto...b...1004&theme=

Now 4 non-sailors have approached me this morning to ask about this momentious achievement and I have set them straight with some facts...

An editor for the local english language paper asked me about the story and if I knew them "since all sailors seem to know each other". I set him straight as well and sent him to these forums for what (some) sailors think of these two. Now he wants to keep tabs on them for an "expose" feature. He proposes to to go out every month or so and look for them according to their reported position to see if they are really there. I tried to educate him on the cost and unlikeliness of this being possible but its not a bad idea.
Just judging on past behaviour I too believe they will try to hold up in secluded places and continue to report otherwise.

#15 Danny

Danny

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:34 AM

I think it's a scam to get as many donations as they can and milk it for as long as it's profitable until they quit. They will be anchored some place getting donations on their website.

And people will donate.....

Yea, maybe so but it's chump-change compared to what corporate CEO's and large NGO's do to the public. <_<

#16 nolatom

nolatom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:15 PM

Slight problemo.. They collided with a Maersk ship in mid-ocean on day 16, and are now without a bowsprit or headstay. Doesn't bode well for the next 984 days.

#17 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, snowboarding, hockey

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:34 PM

haha thats fucked up....oh, i mean - not good.....what kind of seamanship does this nitwit have anyway??

#18 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:41 PM

Based on this wingnuts log entries previous to this, he is outright lying when he said he was on lookout and had nav lights on. I'm calling bull on that one. My guess is they taged the quarter of the ship, if they had hit forward they probably would have been rolled under. Hit amidships and dragged down the side they probably would have dropped the rig.

#19 CaptMSR

CaptMSR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:00 PM

Yeah I have to admit, Reid and Soanya took off with log entries that sounded like they were expecting tofu rainbows and blue birds of happiness chirping the whole way. I don't know the details of the collision but from listening to the radio report on their site, it won't be too hard to figure out what part of the Maersk 'Dunedin' they hit once it gets into port. I say they hit it because if it was the other way 'round, we'd be waiting a helluva long time to hear from them. I give him about a week to figure out they they can't fix their boat to last 983 more days. I say him, cause the Mate won't have a clue. A day or so into their trip, I asked Reid to post a tool kit inventory. Was he too busy being on watch to answer?

#20 nolatom

nolatom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:15 PM

Okay, let's give them a chance, even though they talk like Granola bars. New jury-rigged bowsprit in place, don't know how he's going to rig a bobstay strong enough to help, but who knows.

I sure hope he's taught Soanya how to sail and handle the boat, 'cause if not and he takes a swim off that no-pulpit 'sprit, he's a gone pecan...

I don't think this guy knows enough to be afraid. And that may be the reason why he might just get through this..

It's called "FRIWAFTT". He just may get away with it.

#21 Reacher

Reacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:52 PM

it looks like is sailing aimlessly 1/3rd of way out in the atlantic. now it would seem to me that "A Sea Captain"...thats what he calls himself...wouldn't loiter around in the path of many tropical storms that head that way in thier death throws.

i could be wrong, i don't claim to be "A Sea Captain but perhaps all those ocean trips i been on and monitored the weather was just a waste of time and energy... or perhaps he is waiting to get barreled over by a wicked tropical storm and die doing what he loves.

any thoughts.

that poor girl.

#22 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:55 PM

it looks like is sailing aimlessly 1/3rd of way out in the atlantic. now it would seem to me that "A Sea Captain"...thats what he calls himself...wouldn't loiter around in the path of many tropical storms that head that way in thier death throws.

i could be wrong, i don't claim to be "A Sea Captain but perhaps all those ocean trips i been on and monitored the weather was just a waste of time and energy... or perhaps he is waiting to get barreled over by a wicked tropical storm and die doing what he loves.

any thoughts.

that poor girl.

The Atlantic Hurricane season has yet to begin, relax. This guy is a wing nut but he has plenty of time to move on.

#23 G-Bub V3

G-Bub V3

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:24 PM

The Atlantic Hurricane season has yet to begin, relax. This guy is a wing nut but he has plenty of time to move on.

NOAA disagrees with you...

http://www.reuters.c...926661820070509

#24 Susan

Susan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:Spinning nets using only hair that I find in the hairbrush and used dental floss. Looking for gum under the table at restaurants

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:06 PM

I think Andrea was a fluke. She came from the North. She built in a bit of warm water off Ga and fell apart as soon as she hit the cool Fla water. There is very dry air in place in the Atlantic right now and water temps are too cool for tropical formation. There is considerable sheer in the caribbean and dust coming off S. Africa. I think the La Nina is still in place (or no nina effect at all). Those aren't good ingrediants for making a hurricane. I think we have a bit of time yet.

That all said, the 2004 season showed us that there are no rules - so we shall see.

#25 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:21 PM

NOAA disagrees with you...

http://www.reuters.c...926661820070509

You're not very bright are you? Reuters said the season kicked off, NOAA says this

#26 the_abandoned_brane

the_abandoned_brane

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:21 AM

UH oh, MAJOR change of plans:

"Since May 6th, the morning of the collision with the freighter, we have basically been floating disabled at sea and our position is at the mercy of the winds and currents. All of our life support systems are intact, though they require attention. Now we are in the process of re-rigging the schooner and certain jobs require calm weather. We will keep you posted on our progress.....
As a result of our situation, we've decided to be the first and set a record, the first people to drift around the world. We'll be needing more supplies naturally, we've changed the 1000 Days to the 10,000 Days and asked the US Coast Guard to airdrop more Ramen Noodles and Cannabis seeds."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users