7 replies to this topic

#1 herbie53

herbie53

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:35 PM

If you add a user to your ignore list what happens?

#2 Mid

Mid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,409 posts
  • Interests:T 'n A ,

S D 'n R&R

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:48 PM

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: herbie53.

View this post
Un-ignore herbie53

#3 d'ranger

d'ranger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,949 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:14 AM

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: herbie53.

View this post
Un-ignore herbie53

:lol:

#4 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,811 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:12 AM

If you add a user to your ignore list what happens?

You should not see their posts, receive PM's from them and basicaliy they do not exist to you, as I understand it.

#5 #19

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:46 AM

If someone quotes them I think you will see that though.

#6 St. Phoquallyall

St. Phoquallyall

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

If someone quotes them I think you will see that though.

Yes, you do see quotes, and I resurrect this thread to ask the Dawg if he can do something about that. If I wanna ignore someone, I wanna ignore EVERYTHING, including quoted text.

Possible?

thanks Dawg, i know it's a thankless job

#7 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,811 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:20 AM

You are talking about an impossibly server CPU and database tasking piece of code.

If you know anyone who can write, code show them the forums and ask them what it would take and how server CPU and database tasking this would be. Imagine how many users have people on ignore and every time the request a page it has to run the convoluted code you want written. Remember everyone has different people on ignore.

Remember, multiply your request by at least 100 users (minimum) out of the 300 to 400 people online every day.

If it were an easy fix, it would have been done by now.

If we had a few 100k in distributed computing infrastructure (our own server farm) and paid someone to take care of it and paid someone to write the code it could be done.

Jeez, modern computing has made you guys lazy................behind me doing the daily tasks of an online community, are programmers who make the community possible and behind them there are infrastructure people who keep the online community online and it all costs $$$$$$

#8 SEMIJim

SEMIJim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:41 PM

You are talking about an impossibly server CPU and database tasking piece of code.

If you know anyone who can write, code show them the forums and ask them what it would take and how server CPU and database tasking this would be.

I'm a Senior Systems, Network and TelCom Admin, by trade, and used to be a Senior Software Designer. So I know how software works, I know how relational databases (that's the storage mechanism on the back end of this site and others like it) work and I know how the web works. Good enough? :)

Dawg is correct: It would be a burdensome task: Both in the writing of the code and in CPU and memory consumption. Page loads would probably be greatly slowed, while the code went through every page and parsed them to... Gah! Even explaining what would have to be done is more than I care to consider.

Like Dawg said: Not practical, or it would've been done by now.

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users