180 replies to this topic

#1 Harry Belafonte

Harry Belafonte

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:25 PM

I have been looking into different sea boots as I discovered that wearing rubber Aigles for more than a day gets old extremely fast this past weekend. I'm looking into something that has good grip, breathes well, obviously needs to be waterproof, and is comfortable to wear. Also, I'm hoping to not break the bank on this one as it will most likely be a birthday gift from the family. So far, I was thinking of the Extreme Deck Boot by HL, I'm happy with all of the HL stuff I have used so I am expecting this to be a good choice, but I wanted some opinions on different choices. Price range would probably be under $200. Thanks.

TC

#2 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:56 PM

harry,
I'll pay damn near any price to stay warm and dry. Last weekend the only part of my body that didn't freeze solid late at night on the trip home was my feet, thanks to Dubarry.

#3 Harry Belafonte

Harry Belafonte

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:16 AM

Are the Dubarrys really worth that much more than the Henri Lloyds? Also, are they good for inshore/buoy racing as well? Thanks.

TC

#4 lucas

lucas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:44 AM

I've got HL ocean boots:
* thicker sole than the dubarries
* No gore tex, but also breathable and waterproof
* warm
* nose of the boot is more durable than the dubarries on the foredeck, but alsogets worse fast.

But just as the Dubarries gaitors are usually a very welcome addition to stop getting water inside.

For really good boots nothing seems to beat the Chameau ones. I've got a guy on board who has the same pairhe got a year back and he raced around the globe with them and they are still warm, comfortable and dry. Whereas some of the other guys used either the dubarries/HL Oceans/Musto HPX boots and needed to change them every stopover (after 20 days of sailing...) because them were leaking again.

And Yes the Chameaus are quite expensive as well.

#5 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,641 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:30 AM

I have Dubarry Ultimas - they're great. But they are shorter on the leg than trad rubber boots. The other thing to be aware of is that they are built on a narrow last, so might not be a great choice if you have wide feet.

#6 Tactician

Tactician

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:17 PM

I have Dubarry Ultimas - they're great. But they are shorter on the leg than trad rubber boots. The other thing to be aware of is that they are built on a narrow last, so might not be a great choice if you have wide feet.

Agree with the narrowness bit, but I found that they give very quickly in the width, so don't buy on the width, chose the right length, they will be a bit narrow to start with but soak the outside of them and wear them, they'll give.

#7 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:25 PM

I have been looking into different sea boots as I discovered that wearing rubber Aigles for more than a day gets old extremely fast this past weekend. I'm looking into something that has good grip, breathes well, obviously needs to be waterproof, and is comfortable to wear. Also, I'm hoping to not break the bank on this one as it will most likely be a birthday gift from the family. So far, I was thinking of the Extreme Deck Boot by HL, I'm happy with all of the HL stuff I have used so I am expecting this to be a good choice, but I wanted some opinions on different choices. Price range would probably be under $200. Thanks.

TC

buy the durburry Anapolis boot, great for bouy racing and off shore, super comfy and dry and warm.
best boot Ive ever owned, i have a pair of HL and they leak like hell, soles came unglued in the back and they are big and clunky
trust me oh trust me Durburry is worth every last penny.

i'll never ever wear anything else

#8 JaapvR

JaapvR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Knitting, searching, jumprope, driving powerboats...

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:18 PM

Goretex socks or Chameaus....

#9 Harry Belafonte

Harry Belafonte

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:24 PM

Is it just me or are the Chameaus extremely expensive? I thought the Dubarry boots are expensive, I feel like a cheap ass now. I think I'm gonna stick to the Dubarry, unless I'm looking at the wrong Chameus (I'm looking at the Neptunes). Thanks.

TC

#10 JaapvR

JaapvR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:42 AM

Is it just me or are the Chameaus extremely expensive? I thought the Dubarry boots are expensive, I feel like a cheap ass now. I think I'm gonna stick to the Dubarry, unless I'm looking at the wrong Chameus (I'm looking at the Neptunes). Thanks.

TC

The price seems a bit steep for a non-breathable boot, but if it's the only thing that's REALLY gonna keep you dry it might even be worth double...

#11 Bellwether1

Bellwether1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:43 PM

Has anyone tried the SLAM Offshore boots and, if so, what's the verdict? Thanks.

(Link to product at Team One follows)

http://www.team1newp...umber=SLM516631

#12 Bowgirl

Bowgirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,481 posts
  • Interests:Heineken HPDO, Tempest sailing, tending orchids

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:54 PM

Has anyone tried the SLAM Offshore boots and, if so, what's the verdict? Thanks.

(Link to product at Team One follows)

http://www.team1newp...umber=SLM516631

Haji has SLAM boots. I'll ask him to check this thread if he has time, or to give me his opinion on them. I can say, though, that I didn't hear any complaints from him during the past 2 weeks on the ocean.

Can I ask the ultimate stupid question? OK, I'm going to. How can a boot be boat Breathable and Waterproof?

I bought $40 Great Shark rubber boots with moulded insoles for the translatlantic crossing figuring I'd want waterproof first and foremost. They were comfy and dry and warm for the entire crossing. The only trouble I had was that my feet tended to sweat so ensuring I removed the insoles after every watch so they could air and changing socks frequently so that I would have comfortable toes was imperative.

My 2 cents' worth is that proper wicking socks, footcare, and footwear-fit are more important than the Brand Name.

#13 ctradialsailor

ctradialsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:56 PM

what is the difference between the Musto MPX and HPX?

#14 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,548 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:00 PM

Can I ask the ultimate stupid question? OK, I'm going to. How can a boot be boat Breathable and Waterproof?

Semipermeable membrane such as goretex. Water vapor exists as single molcules, water droplets are groups of molecules exhibiting surface tension.

Because it has millions of teensy holes, each so small that gases can pass though but liquids cannot, a semipermeable membrane like goretex, membrain, or one of the other proprietary materials will block out the big wet stuff (liquid water) while allowing water vapor to pass through. The results are nothing short of miraculous - for skiing, fly fishing waders, or DuBarry sea boots, goretex or something close makes a tremendous difference in comfort - especially if you are active.

BTW - there is no such thing as a stupid question, and yours was certainly not the ultimate.

#15 lucas

lucas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:04 PM

All musto boots (listed) are HPX, with the black-one with gaitor called HPX-Ocean boot and the dubarry look-a-like called HPX.

probably a typo of some sort

#16 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,548 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:04 PM

About $300 difference in the jacket, $150 in the pant. :P

Sorry, I know I can be a wise ass, but I just couldn't help myself.

#17 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:07 PM

Dubarry all the way. They are worth their weight in gold!!

#18 celphtaught

celphtaught

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,609 posts
  • Interests:the great blue yonder. and random bits of string

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:15 PM

which is about how much they cost

#19 Five Minutes Turkish

Five Minutes Turkish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:50 AM

Posted Image

http://www.team1newp...?number=SPE0754

#20 Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:55 PM

Has anyone tried the Gul boots.

Being that I am large footed, I have struggled to get a pair of boots that I am comfortable in. I tried on a pair of sixe 47 La Chameau but struggled to get them back off so I have just used dive booties when we sail offshore.

I was looking at the 3mm Neoprene Fleece boots that Gul make. Anyone tried them?

#21 Akaron

Akaron

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:02 PM

Has anyone tried the Gul boots.

Being that I am large footed, I have struggled to get a pair of boots that I am comfortable in. I tried on a pair of sixe 47 La Chameau but struggled to get them back off so I have just used dive booties when we sail offshore.

I was looking at the 3mm Neoprene Fleece boots that Gul make. Anyone tried them?

Dubarry does make customs last time i checked if you really have weird sized feet like me (12 6E), but if you already thought they were expencive, you should be prepared to morgage your house. (which I won't, so I'm still skidding around inside my gill rubber boots)

#22 Harry Belafonte

Harry Belafonte

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 03:27 PM

Alright I need some help again...I've narrowed it down to the Slam LL Boot, and the Dubarry Shamrock Boot. Now, I like the look of the Slam boot, and I know from friends that have the shoes that they have great grip. But, I'm worried that the sole might wear down to fast and I'd be left slipping around the deck in a year or twos time. Anybody know how long these soles will last. As to the Dubarrys, I know everything about them is good, they will last long as hell, are comfortable, and the only thing bad about them is that I'd have to get gaiters, but that's not really a downfall as I can live without them. Thanks.

TC

#23 carramrod

carramrod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 03:41 PM

What kind of gaiters do people use with their boots. I've got a pair of dubarrys and would like some gaiters, but the only thing i can find is the musto boot with the built in gaiter.

#24 Harry Belafonte

Harry Belafonte

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 03:44 PM

Check out layline...they have a pair of gaiters there.

TC

#25 lucas

lucas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:54 PM

What kind of gaiters do people use with their boots. I've got a pair of dubarrys and would like some gaiters, but the only thing i can find is the musto boot with the built in gaiter.

I've got HL's gaitors, work great (stood in the water during a broach up to my middle and no water came between my boots and pants...

#26 bowbird

bowbird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:13 PM

Alright I need some help again...I've narrowed it down to the Slam LL Boot, and the Dubarry Shamrock Boot. Now, I like the look of the Slam boot, and I know from friends that have the shoes that they have great grip. But, I'm worried that the sole might wear down to fast and I'd be left slipping around the deck in a year or twos time. Anybody know how long these soles will last. As to the Dubarrys, I know everything about them is good, they will last long as hell, are comfortable, and the only thing bad about them is that I'd have to get gaiters, but that's not really a downfall as I can live without them. Thanks.

TC

I've been wearing Dubarry Seaquests for years - which have a built in gaitor anyway - elastic's gone now and needs changing - but that's after 5 years use, and an easy fix.
Have been thinking about the Dubarry Fastnets tho' - anyone tried them?

#27 FS - Brand New Day

FS - Brand New Day

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:Sailing<br>Sailing <br>Sailing<br>Sailing<br>Sailing<br>Sailing<br>Sailing<br>Sailing<br>Sailing <br>Oh and Sailing !

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:29 PM

I ordered a pair of Dubarry Fastnets in today for a customer and I think they are very similiar to the Sperry boots..Nothing special for $499 rrp AUD in my opinion.

FS

#28 willj

willj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:55 PM

I have a pair of Dubarry Ultima with a wide fitting. They are the only bit of kit I have absolutely no problems or doubts about recommending. Into my second (or maybe third) season with them. The grip is as good as when I bought them and I've never had cold or wet feet. This is after doing inshore spring and winter series and offshore racing too.
It is a no brainer.

#29 War Dog

War Dog

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:11 PM

I just got a pair of the Slam Boots they look and feel like a great addition to my off shore kit. Any sugestions as to the care of the leather?

#30 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:17 PM

The grip is as good as when I bought them

If you ever feel like changing that, have one of your crew mates spill a bag of Pepperidge Farms chocolate cookies in the cockpit. There isn't a non skid sole made that will keep you on your feet. It felt like we were skating on oiled glass the last 20 miles of the Coastal Cup.

#31 DNZ

DNZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Sailing.. and I guess sometimes even studying

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:59 PM

yep, I would be interested in any tips about how to take care of the (dubarry) leather as well..

And where do you get good gaitors? I have nether seen or found them anywhere yet..

#32 Asymptote

Asymptote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:33 AM

yep, I would be interested in any tips about how to take care of the (dubarry) leather as well..

And where do you get good gaitors? I have nether seen or found them anywhere yet..

You get them already attached to a pair of comfy, warm, dry Musto boots. Best boots I've owned.

#33 Ross

Ross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:03 PM

how are the Fastnets? been thinking of getting a pair of those...

#34 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:56 PM

Tuna blood seems to do a good job. :lol:
(Been wearing my shamrocks offshore fishing lately)

#35 indicative

indicative

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:12 AM

Starts with D ends in Y

go figure.

#36 scottmax

scottmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:46 PM

I agree with the majority if the post and stick with the DB,s but also get yourself good socks to wear inside. Had mine for 4 years now best bit of kit i got do not be cheap when it comes to the feet. Head Hands Feet is what you have to keep warm.

#37 Hrothgar

Hrothgar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,985 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:21 PM

I bought the Extreme Deck Boot from HL just before the Mac this year. Loved wearing them every instant. $195 from APS.

Hroth

#38 Harry Belafonte

Harry Belafonte

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:34 AM

So I got the Dubarrys, thanks for the help guys. From what I can tell so far is that I'm planning on these boots lasting me for a long, long time. I'm also surprised at how comfortable they are, very nice, I walked around the YC all day yesterday in the boots and I never felt the urge to take them off. Thanks.

TC

#39 JaapvR

JaapvR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:04 AM

I walked around the YC all day yesterday in the boots and I never felt the urge to take them off. Thanks.

TC

That's what most people use 'm for, and seems to be their main quality, too :). Just add a pair of goretex socks when using 'm on the boat...

#40 sherpa

sherpa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:19 AM

Dubarry makes the appropriate cleaners and sealers for the leather.

#41 southernocean

southernocean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:26 PM

I've had the Dubarry Shamrock (5 years of continuous use) and now I have the Ultima's. Both are awesome. I would never wear anything else but Dubarry's.

#42 FastRobert

FastRobert

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:50 PM

The Dubarry's wear like Iron, and just get more comfortable all the time. I've never retreated the leather, and all is well waterproof/breathable wise. I call them Irish sailing slippers.

#43 dde

dde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,957 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:50 PM

Posted Image

for colder climate, buy the helly tech ones
a pair of goretex socks dont hurt with em

#44 badberdy

badberdy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:06 PM

Long time friend of the Dubs, when it came time to get new boots, I decided to try something different, so I went with SLAMS. First race with them has the Marblehead to Halifax race. I was miserable, my feet were wet the whole time. They are the worst boot I have ever had. It wasnt like they got submerged or anything, just a little rain and fog, and they were soaked through.
Needless to say, I soon as I got back home to NPT, I went and got another pair of Dubs.
The Le Chameau Neptunes are the shit, but I dont use them enough to warrant the purchase price. Socks are the other component that you need to keep your feet dry, I suggest some Smart Wool socks, check out Helly or EMS for those.
If you like wet feet, go with SLAMS
Bryan

#45 Spreader Boots

Spreader Boots

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:07 PM

Check out he Chota Lace Mukluks, http://chotooutdoorg...;products_id=50

I do bow on a 1D35 and a J-29. These boots are warm, dry, and have a good sticky sole. Plus at $110 they are a good price.

Oh yea, I forgot to add the fact that Smart Wool socks suck! Look at Bridgedale socks. Better fit because they don't bag out, plus they last 5 times longer!

Edited by Spreader Boots, 16 August 2007 - 07:21 PM.

#46 sailthebay26

sailthebay26

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:05 PM

If anyone has a pair of 10.5 Dubarrys and is looking for a size 11 or if anyone wants to buy the pair($280) PM me, I wore them the one day and then I realized they are huge on me.

Harry
Go buy a set of the memory foam inserts and put them into the boots. My dad and I both put them in our dubarrys and they make them even better plus it shrinks the size up just a bit. Add a pair of good wool socks and you should be good to go.
Nick

#47 Tom Whitburn

Tom Whitburn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:11 PM

Did round britain and ireland last year (and round ireland and middle sea, myth of malham ....etc) with a good crew with the whole range of boots.

Did this years fastnet

I was the only person on board with dry/warm feet

Buy LeChameau boots - they are worth every penny.

Dubarrys work for the first race ... and when they get wet, boy do they stay wet.

Wear trainers inshore with sealskin socks.

Was given a pair of full leather dubarry shamrocks as part of a sponsorship deal - not worn them.

#48 razorback

razorback

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:17 PM

I'm boot shopping too. However since I'm in a black hole of sailing, I've got to mail-order everything unless I want to spend precious vacation time near the coast in a shoe store (not). How true to size are the Dubarry? My favorite running shoes are size 12 (46 to euros) average width.

Also, I very much prefer compact soles. I don't mean tight, I mean not bulky or clunky. I like Merrill hiking shoes for instance because their soles are more sock-like than most hiking boots. What model do I need to be looking at?

#49 Wadduck Hunt

Wadduck Hunt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:57 PM

medium performance , High performance!

#50 Rob

Rob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:21 PM

I have the Le Chameau Neptune and the Durbarry goretex with gaiters.
Daysailing, durbarry are perfect, but as stated earlier they do take a LONG time to dry.
Longer runs no contest, Chameau! Quick to dry, comfy and warm. Perfect for the north sea in march.

#51 roca

roca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:30 PM

Wear trainers inshore with sealskin socks.

Hi,
my I have more infos about seal skin socks and gore tex socks? who makes them ? which proved well..etc
thanks

#52 Beck's

Beck's

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:09 PM

I use sealskinz shocks and gloves all the time - they really work. I use them with the dubarry boot, I may take the boot off durring the off-whatch but leave the sock on. Did this for trans atlantic and even for hot races like bermuda. can't say enough good things about them.

the other trick with boots that don't have proper gattors (and none really do) is to get a pair of high gattors for snow use they fit tight and work much better then the shorter ones that are built in to boots. I think mine are made by OP.

I also agree that the La Chameau boots are really good for long offshore use but not as comfortable as the Dubarry for short stuff. I made the mistake of not getting the La Chameau 1/2 size large so that I could put better insoles in. You can get La Chameau from BestBoots in the UK on line as I could not find them in the states.

http://www.sealskinz.com/

#53 T22

T22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:45 AM

Posted Image

This was the only mention of these boots in this tread (as far as I could see), is it because they are not widely known, or are not good boots?
I would like to pick up a pair of these in the next few days, I will need them very soon. Sure the Dubarry's are supposed to be the best, but the Sperry's felt more comfortable, seem to have good insulation, and are 1/2 the price. I see most everyone recommends the gore-tex socks.
I am also happy I got to use the search function, and got it to work! :lol:

#54 Pom

Pom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:46 PM

Sperry's look interesting - any way to get them to the UK??

Had a pair of Dubies - the full leather ones (ultimas i think) they were great for the first two seasons, but now leak like hell, also, if you get them wet, it is really difficult to get them dry again esp overnight - best thing was to stuff loads of newspaper into them. i normally do fordeck and they are now scuffed to bits, have gone through the front of both and the stiching is coming apart at the sides. even sent them back to Dubarry, they told me that the leather was too far gone and there was nothing thay could do - so much for lifetime garentee...

in conclusion, Dubies, great boots for the back of the boat, need something better for doing proper work in... (rant over...)

#55 tpabaysailor

tpabaysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:44 PM

This was the only mention of these boots in this tread (as far as I could see), is it because they are not widely known, or are not good boots?
I would like to pick up a pair of these in the next few days, I will need them very soon. Sure the Dubarry's are supposed to be the best, but the Sperry's felt more comfortable, seem to have good insulation, and are 1/2 the price. I see most everyone recommends the gore-tex socks.

Wore theses across the pond.... Best boots I have ever owned. Great for the money... I highly recommend them.

#56 Pulpit Preacher

Pulpit Preacher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:22 PM

Any one know how well the Gill Kevlar and Leather sea boots work? And how long they last? Especially up by the mast.

Cheers

#57 Akaron

Akaron

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:17 AM

Any one know how well the Gill Kevlar and Leather sea boots work? And how long they last? Especially up by the mast.

Cheers

Never tried the boots, but Gill IMHO is total shit. I'll not be spending any more of my money on Gill. I just bought Dubarries and I love the things. HL is having a sale on there deck boots right now. Musto's are pretty good I hear too.

#58 over early...not again

over early...not again

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:33 AM

ditto on the gill, i have never witnessed something made by them that lasts more then2 seasons.

But in there defense, they do have good customer service and will replace almost anything. That is if you want to just get in the habbit of sending your gear to them after each season., and waiting 6 weeks to get it back.

#59 tpabaysailor

tpabaysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:43 PM

ditto on the gill, i have never witnessed something made by them that lasts more then2 seasons.

But in there defense, they do have good customer service and will replace almost anything. That is if you want to just get in the habbit of sending your gear to them after each season., and waiting 6 weeks to get it back.

I bought a gill offhore jacket and it has fallen apart with less then two years of use.

I will never buy anything else gill again.

The sperry boots mentioned above are great, and have held up very good over time and use.

Sperry also has really good customer service. I sent my topsiders in and got a brand new replacement pair in no time at all.

#60 judge

judge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:05 PM

At the Paris Boat Show in early December Henri LLoyd had a new "Ocean Extreme Boot" on display which is due for release in early '08. Combination of leather uppers and a new suede looking top calles "Outlast", with all sorts of claims made about its' breathability etc. Looked the ducks guts but no word yet on price or availability. It's on their website but I can't post a link on this bloody computer. :angry:

#61 T22

T22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:58 AM

Wore theses across the pond.... Best boots I have ever owned. Great for the money... I highly recommend them.

Update
Well, I bought the Sperry's, wore them New Years Day and again last weekend. Quite warm and comfortable, EXCEPT for the heel section. Seems to be structured with a piece of hard plastic that wraps around the ankle, and as the boot flexes, the top edge digs in quite sharply, right under the 'ankle bone'.
I brought them back to the shop I bought them, to see about getting a credit or return. Unfortunate, I like them, very light, warm and the sole was the most comfortable of all pairs I tried. I just don't know how far I'd walk in them, that edge just dug in too much. I will most likely upgrade to the Dubarry's if it works out.

#62 UniGor

UniGor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:04 PM

Dubarrys.

But then, I can easily get 'em cheap at the factory shop.

#63 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,114 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:12 PM

Dubarrys.

But then, I can easily get 'em cheap at the factory shop.

Agree - I love the Dubarry's - just wish they made them in a wide version

#64 Harry Belafonte

Harry Belafonte

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:31 PM

They do. Check APS out.

#65 tightreach

tightreach

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:56 PM

Hi,
my I have more infos about seal skin socks and gore tex socks? who makes them ? which proved well..etc
thanks

Rocky Socks makes the Gore-Tex version I have been wearing for several years now, unless you are doing offshore, or plan on repeatedly dunking your feet in the water in the northwest in January, they are the way to go. I have only had wet feet once in them, it was in the Northwest in January, but in their defense all the guys wearing offshore boots also had wet feet.

The trick is to wear a thin wicking sock liner under a high tech sock, then the Gore-tex sock, then your favorite sailing shoe. I would definately suggest these versus the Seal Skins which are neoprene.

Here's the link to the Rockies at APS

#66 Asymptote

Asymptote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:17 PM

I have a wide foot and the Mustos are really really comfortable. Almost too comfortable, because you're tempted to wear 'em up the dock. Done a fair bit of sailing in them and they are great: warm and very good grip.

The DB peeps on my boat are jealous.

#67 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,114 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:23 PM

I have a wide foot and the Mustos are really really comfortable. Almost too comfortable, because you're tempted to wear 'em up the dock. Done a fair bit of sailing in them and they are great: warm and very good grip.

The DB peeps on my boat are jealous.

I have had DB's for many years - maybe I'll have to try out the Mustos - they do look like they are great boots

#68 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:09 AM

I have had DB's for many years - maybe I'll have to try out the Mustos - they do look like they are great boots

What kind of sailing goggles do you prefer?

#69 hobo

hobo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:55 AM

Le Chameau with gaiters offshore cold - put em in the bath overnight to check for leaks - had experience with moulding leaks.

Musto HPX with gaiter ofshore warmish

#70 lucas

lucas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:11 PM

Le Chameau with gaiters offshore cold - put em in the bath overnight to check for leaks - had experience with moulding leaks.

Never heard of issues with Chameaus... Everyone I know likes them because they're dry, warm and the only thing on your feet to take down into the Southern Ocean...

Doesn't mean your lying, just saying...

#71 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,114 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 06:38 PM

I am not a huge fan of Le Chameau as I have a tendency to sweat when wearing boots and Le Chameau's don't breathe so it's 2-3 days and there is a substantial stench of goat when I take them off - not fair to my shipmates

#72 T22

T22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:28 AM

Update
Well, I bought the Sperry's, wore them New Years Day and again last weekend. Quite warm and comfortable, EXCEPT for the heel section. Seems to be structured with a piece of hard plastic that wraps around the ankle, and as the boot flexes, the top edge digs in quite sharply, right under the 'ankle bone'.
I brought them back to the shop I bought them, to see about getting a credit or return. Unfortunate, I like them, very light, warm and the sole was the most comfortable of all pairs I tried. I just don't know how far I'd walk in them, that edge just dug in too much. I will most likely upgrade to the Dubarry's if it works out.

Sort of a follow up,
The shop credited me the purchase price of my Sperry's. I will be buying Dubarry's, something I should have done to start.

Unfortunately there are few Dubarry dealers in Nova Scotia with few styles to chose from. The only one close, has only the ULTIMA boot. I like the FASTNET boot, but can't try one on. My question, if I try on the Ultima boot, and find a size that fits, can I assume the Fastnet boot will fit similarly, so I may order online? The sole does look a little different, wondering if anyone has any tips about buying Dubarrys, comparing the fits of different styles?

#73 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,114 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:25 AM

Sort of a follow up,
The shop credited me the purchase price of my Sperry's. I will be buying Dubarry's, something I should have done to start.

Unfortunately there are few Dubarry dealers in Nova Scotia with few styles to chose from. The only one close, has only the ULTIMA boot. I like the FASTNET boot, but can't try one on. My question, if I try on the Ultima boot, and find a size that fits, can I assume the Fastnet boot will fit similarly, so I may order online? The sole does look a little different, wondering if anyone has any tips about buying Dubarrys, comparing the fits of different styles?

I can tell you that the Ultima and the Seaquest match sizes very well - dunno about the Fastnets - would assume it's the same but don't shoot me if they don't

#74 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:32 AM

Someone left a pair of Uggs on the boat. The Kiwi's thought that they were sex toys :P (Wool, ya know). Get the Dubarrys! Worth the $!

Bobbo

#75 LivinIt

LivinIt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:51 AM

Anyone know where to get a pair of the Sperry Fathom Boots under $150??? These are real nice boots.

#76 T22

T22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:10 PM

From Trish at Dubarry USA today (fast reply to a question I asked about sizing and fit of different styles of Dubarry boots.)

Quote "The soles are completely different. The soles on the Fastnet boot are made with a more US conventional laske. These are made in China and could run different than the Ultima. If you're wearing a 43.5 in the Ultima for instance, the closest size we have in Fastnet is the 44. There is no 1/2 Euro sizing in the China made product."

If anyone was wondering.
T22

#77 WalterMitty

WalterMitty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:14 PM

Wood be a Dubarry person myself. on my second pair now and the only reason i replaced the 4 year old pair was i lost one somewhere. but has anyone tried the new helly hanson helly welly yet? getting a given a pair in a couple weeks so just curious.....

#78 JimL

JimL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Club level short haul offshore racing & cruising. Having a quiet life.... and a few rums....

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:54 AM

Well, FWIW I have had Dubarries (goretex lined) with the gaiter and all went great for 5 seasons (foredeck) and I did take care of them with the recommended leather treatment. Then they started leaking and I put up with it for a while untill the material (foam compound?) between the sole and the boot started to break down in the heel area.

Went back to the supplier to see if anything could be done for a repair and was told that this style will not be made anymore. Now I am like a lot on this thread and still looking for something good in Oz.

Yeah, they were good while they lasted and I guess that I got the expected life out of them but I would need some convincing to go DB's again.
Cheers,
Jim :blink:

#79 Snacktician

Snacktician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:50 AM

Well, FWIW I have had Dubarries (goretex lined) with the gaiter and all went great for 5 seasons (foredeck) and I did take care of them with the recommended leather treatment. Then they started leaking and I put up with it for a while untill the material (foam compound?) between the sole and the boot started to break down in the heel area.

Went back to the supplier to see if anything could be done for a repair and was told that this style will not be made anymore. Now I am like a lot on this thread and still looking for something good in Oz.

Yeah, they were good while they lasted and I guess that I got the expected life out of them but I would need some convincing to go DB's again.
Cheers,
Jim :blink:

I've heard stories of the soles on Dubarrys drying out after a few months of not being used often -- making them slippery and useless for foredeck work in a wet place like San Francsico. Anyone else have this experience? I was about to buy a set, but this is making me think again ...

#80 UniGor

UniGor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

Like any rubber, the soles will & do perish over time. However you're more likely to knacker out the uppers, toes, lining etc. before this happens.

If they do perish a little when set aside outside the sailing season, wearing them and walking about on concrete etc. will remove the perished layer (the perished rubber looks darker than the normal rubber) soon enough.

#81 JimL

JimL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Club level short haul offshore racing & cruising. Having a quiet life.... and a few rums....

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:28 AM

Hi All, Here are some shotz of what my Dubs went like after some five seasons. Note the breakdown of foam compound between the upper and the sole. Cheers, Jim :(

Attached Files

#82 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,672 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:30 PM

I've heard stories of the soles on Dubarrys drying out after a few months of not being used often -- making them slippery and useless for foredeck work in a wet place like San Francsico. Anyone else have this experience? I was about to buy a set, but this is making me think again ...

my Dubarry's are 3 years old, breathable, perfectly warm and dry, but after only 18 months of continual use, the soles went hard and slippery. Note: They have never been worn ashore, the tread pattern looks OK but they could a better job with whatever material they use for the soles. It's too bad because the rest of the boot has been the best of any I've had but I won't be buying them again due to the sole.

Next time I will buy the Slam boots. I have some shoes with the same sole as their boots and the traction is great.

#83 JimL

JimL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:01 AM

Hi LI Sailorkid, I asked the same question of the supplier here in Sydney, Oz and the answer was no, not even Dubarry would do it. Thats when they advised me that style was going to be (or already may have been) discontinued. I toyed with the idea of repairing them myself with a mold or dam around the sole and going nutz with caulking compound or similar goop but the problem remains of how to repair to the foam compound which is R/S in a big way.....As can be seen from the photo the stitching is through the sole, then the foam compound and then into the innersole of the boot. I can usually recycle stuff but this has me beaten......at the moment ....any suggestions (apart from the bloody obvious) are more than welcome. Cheers Jim :huh:

#84 judge

judge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:05 AM

Over the years I've found that the soles on any boot or deck shoe will become hard and hence slippery if dried out in direct sunlight or high heat. It's almost as if the sole material becomes dehydrated and looses its maleability. It is easily fixed by wearing it on hard abrasive surfaces and/or exposing it to moisture; in my experience it's not permanent.

Has anyone tried or seen the new Henri LLoyd extreme ocean boot yet?

#85 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Offshore and coastal sailing and racing. Classic wooden boats.

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:53 PM

I am expecting my new Dubarry's to arrive tomorrow. I am looking forward to trying them out & having them on a long, cold Southern Straits race.

I sure hope the grip on the sole lasts.

Has anyone ever heard of using paint thinner on the soles of old deck/racing shoes to soften the rubber & re-gain the grip. Does this work or is it recommended?

#86 ockam-nokam

ockam-nokam

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:51 PM

I've never heard of the paint thinner "trick". I carry a piece of very rough sand paper in my backpack for roughing up the bottoms of the shoes.

#87 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,672 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:04 PM

I am expecting my new Dubarry's to arrive tomorrow. I am looking forward to trying them out & having them on a long, cold Southern Straits race.
I sure hope the grip on the sole lasts.
Has anyone ever heard of using paint thinner on the soles of old deck/racing shoes to soften the rubber & re-gain the grip. Does this work or is it recommended?

They'll be fine for the first year...
Re: solvents on the soles.....not heard of that ....try it on yours first and let us know :P

#88 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Offshore and coastal sailing and racing. Classic wooden boats.

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:37 AM

They'll be fine for the first year...
Re: solvents on the soles.....not heard of that ....try it on yours first and let us know :P

Thanks a lot! :P ;)

#89 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:41 AM

Thanks a lot! :P ;)

:D Your welcome.. what boat are you doing SS on?

#90 Atilla The Hun

Atilla The Hun

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:43 AM

Well I got myself a pair of the Dubarry fastnets and i quite like them. Been sailing in them twice now. I had DB shamrocks before which lasted 4 seasons which i thought was respectable. Doing bow destroys the toe leather on the shamrocks.

The sole is much better as well (much more like a arch supporting shoe) but its always frustrated me that the edge of the soles is a hard corner. You should have adequate grip when your soles are horizontal but the boat is heeled. As i said the fastnets are better in this respect but have not gone far enough. The edge of the soles should be very round with a large radius. I have yet to test the fastnets on slippery gel coats (i sail on teak)

The fastnets are much easier to get in and out of. The gate at the ankle is that bit bigger than DB traditionally use. I would say the fit is a bit wider too. They feel quite like 'snow boots'. The neoprene may get a bit too warm on hot days (which i have HL sailing runners for) but i had no problem turning it down over the boot (inside or outside).

When i put my new fastnets next to my old shamrocks i noticed that the fastnets are a bit taller too. I've used gill gaiters (couldn't get the DB ones at the time) for a couple of seasons now which i think are great. Without Gaiters I have always found that water goes up between my boots and Musto trousers. I find that if i fasten the bottom of my trousers tight around the boot that I am wearing my trouser ride up over my boots, so I wear them loose so that them fall back down. On the pointy end with a solid 1cm of water rushing across the deck its especially a problem water getting up between boot and trousers.

Atilla

#91 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,517 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:39 AM

Hi All, Here are some shotz of what my Dubs went like after some five seasons. Note the breakdown of foam compound between the upper and the sole. Cheers, Jim :(

Mine have done the same as well!! :angry:

#92 PDG

PDG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:29 PM

I was going through the motions of looking into boots, and was pretty much resigned to forking out 300 to 400 bucks when I saw Spreaderboots post about the Chota paddling mukluks. I took his advice for two reasons. One is that he's a bowman in the PNW, and no offense guys, but if you're in the cockpit, I don't care how good you think a particular boot is. Two is that they're a little over a hundred bucks. For that alone they're worth a shot. They are just as advertised. Basically knee high dive boots with a pretty decent hard sole. Had 'em out for Smith Island two weeks ago in the cold nasty stuff (37 degrees F and sideways hail) and they were far superior to anything else I've had on my feet to date. Last pair of boots were the Sperry's, before that were the standard West Marine tall boot. I can't compare them to the Dubarry's or the Musto's, but there are two things that make these boots work well. One is that they're tall. You can move around in them a bunch without the cuffs of your foulies riding up too high to keep the water out, which is my beef with the Sperry's. Two is they're completely no-shit waterproof. A couple of near auto-tacks while sitting on the rail and winding up knee deep in water made a believer out of me. Only knock is that they're not as warm as the insulated leather boots are (when dry that is). With good wool socks, though, they are just fine.
Thanks Spreaderboots!

Attached Files

#93 amperrin

amperrin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:35 PM

I found this to be the case with two sets of Seaquest but not the other lines. I had Shamrocks 11 years ago and liked them then went to the seaquest and within a season the sole had perished so wasn't so happy with them. I just got the Musto HPX with the gaiters and really like them as the gaitor is part of the boot and a lot less flimsy than the dubarry gaiters.

#94 equivocator

equivocator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:20 PM

Before I started spending so much time in the cockpit, I used to put a couple of heavy duty rubber bands around the shaft of my boots, and then put them around the legs of my FW pants in rough weather. Worked well to keep most of the water out. I bought a pair of Gill gaiters a couple years ago for the Bermuda Race, but it was a light year, and I haven't worn 'em in anger yet. They have heavy elastic at the ankles, and an elastic drawcord at the top.

If your feet are getting cold, try putting your foot with sock inside a plastic bag before putting your boot on (use rubber bands on these, too). Its much warmer, but beware, it will trap perspiration when its warm. That may be the poor man's Goretex sock....

If your feet sweat too much, you can spray them with anti-perspirant, either the armpit kind or the more expensive ones made for feet.

If your feet get stinky, try changing your socks. Your mates will thank you, and it will also help prevent athlete's foot.

Use sandpaper to remove dead rubber from your shoes and boots. 80 grit wet or dry works great.

#95 dde

dde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,957 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:34 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#96 bikedan

bikedan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:32 PM

Just want to make sure folks give thought again to the sealskinz idea. I've been using the gloves and socks this spring/winter in some of the PNW races. Love the performace. I think they could make several different types of boots that feel good, but aren't Dubs, suddenly much more acceptable.

my $.02

#97 NorCalHater

NorCalHater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:25 PM

Attached File  183618_01_Luff_SU08.jpg   212.54K   13 downloads
Attached File  183618_02_Luff_SU08.jpg   35.2K   13 downloads

#98 Bowgirl

Bowgirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,481 posts
  • Interests:Heineken HPDO, Tempest sailing, tending orchids

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:49 PM

Before I started spending so much time in the cockpit, I used to put a couple of heavy duty rubber bands around the shaft of my boots, and then put them around the legs of my FW pants in rough weather. Worked well to keep most of the water out. I bought a pair of Gill gaiters a couple years ago for the Bermuda Race, but it was a light year, and I haven't worn 'em in anger yet. They have heavy elastic at the ankles, and an elastic drawcord at the top.

If your feet are getting cold, try putting your foot with sock inside a plastic bag before putting your boot on (use rubber bands on these, too). Its much warmer, but beware, it will trap perspiration when its warm. That may be the poor man's Goretex sock....

If your feet sweat too much, you can spray them with anti-perspirant, either the armpit kind or the more expensive ones made for feet.

If your feet get stinky, try changing your socks. Your mates will thank you, and it will also help prevent athlete's foot.

Use sandpaper to remove dead rubber from your shoes and boots. 80 grit wet or dry works great.

http://www.deodorant...ctCat17037.ctlg

rub the 'stone' on the bottom of your feet and the "crystallized natural mineral salts kill odour-causing bacteria"

I prefer it to traditional deodorants/antiperspirants.

#99 Guapa

Guapa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Sailing & astronomy

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:43 PM

Dubarry Ultima - kept my footsies warm and dry on many occasions.

Not the cheapest - but in this case I think it's a case of 'you get what you pay for'.

#100 Johndeeredriver

Johndeeredriver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:35 AM

Harry,

Im rockin the Dubarry Shamrocks for years and they are still going. My bro bought the Slams. They sucked. Leaked first time he wore them going Marblehead to Halifax. He froze his ass off. My wifes store sells the new Helly Welly..developed for the Ericsson Volvo Team. They should be in your price Range. Im going to get a new pair of boots for this season, and I will probably get these myself. Buy em at hellynewengland.com. -Paul B.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users