• Please log in to reply
1346 replies to this topic

#1 MarchHare

MarchHare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:16 AM

Seems like theres a thread for melbourne, WA & other Oz fleets on here so lets start one 4 down south.

What happened on sunday with the DSS pennant. Watching from the shore it was obvious that Voodoo kicked ass. ET 1:01:34. One minute 40 in front of wired, 3 1/2 in front of Banger and 8 in front of the pack of wankers. Wots with that white boat. Someone told me that the war games boys got a talking to - any one know what that was all about? The F40s are normally much closer than that. And wots with the mumm 30? One week hot - next week shot. Whos on that boat now? No sign of the 38 this week either. ANy issues?

Didnt watch div 2 much but wots with wildfire? That boat was much faster when Sharpy had it.

Any new boats coming 4 summer? The rumored 6th farr40? Will any one bother wiv sailing south?

#2 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:41 PM

And wots with the mumm 30? One week hot - next week shot. Whos on that boat now?

A bunch of pirates!

Come on March Hare - identify yourself. You seem to know a lot about us.

#3 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:20 AM

It may be coincidental, but it seems that I see Voodoo Chile out practicing way more than I see any of the other boats...
PoW's problem? Four owners all (well, "all" = 3 out of 4) wanting to have a go at steering, perhaps ;)

The mumm just needs to get rid of Gav! (;))

Edited by Weyalan, 08 August 2007 - 05:18 AM.

#4 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:21 AM

BoM current forecast the BYC pennant on Sunday:

Isolated showers and highland snow about the west, south and east. Early frost then fine elsewhere. Cool to cold, although locally very cold, with light to moderate southerly winds.

Oh joy!

#5 Sparky

Sparky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:39 AM

BoM current forecast the BYC pennant on Sunday:

Isolated showers and highland snow about the west, south and east. Early frost then fine elsewhere. Cool to cold, although locally very cold, with light to moderate southerly winds.

Oh joy!

I'm happier with the Sunday forecast than tomorrow or Friday...Granted it will probably be a bit more benign in the Derwent but still mucho windy.

------------------------------------
Coastal Waters Wind Warning
for all Tasmanian coastal waters.
Issued at 3:30 pm EST on Wednesday 8 August 2007

Synoptic Situation
A deep low southwest of Tasmania is slowly moving eastwards.

Storm Force Wind Warning
For southern and western waters, Tasman Island to Sandy Cape
Northwest winds increasing to 35 to 45 knots, lighter about the southeast tonight, reaching 50 knots in the west tonight, then through the west and offshore in the south tomorrow, locally 55 knots about the southwest. Seas 5 to 7 metres, lower in the southeast. West to southwest swell 4 to 5 metres, building to 5 to 7 metres tomorrow, lower inshore in the southeast.

Gale Warning
For all remaining coastal waters, Sandy Cape to Tasman Island
Northwest winds 25 to 35 knot, lighter inshore about the east, increasing to 30 to 40 knots tonight, locally 45 knots about the north. Seas rising 4 to 6 metres, 3 to 4 metres in the east.
Swells
Northwest: Westerly swell 4 to 5 metres.
North: West to northwest 2 to 4 metres.
East: Confused to 2 metres.

#6 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:41 PM

I'm hoping that stuff goes through by Saturday arvo, otherwise I'm gonna cut my tablecloth in half & call each half a spinnaker. Still, it will be fun to watch the farr 40's doing their usual reckless barge for the line in 35 knots instead of 10 knots.

#7 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:56 PM

That's not barging, just making sure we know our place.

#8 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:37 AM

Dunno if this counts as "goss", but I see Mirabooka is back on the market....

... for a cool $375,000 (yes; three hundred & seventy five thousand dollars). What were they thinking?

All I can say is "don't hold yer breath cobbers"

#9 snoopy

snoopy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:46 AM

Weyalan sonds like a fair weather sailor................. ;) ..........maybe you should stay infront of the fire on sunday morning with the sunday papper!!!!!

MarchHare didnt any one want to take you out to Play............... ;) all though it is fun to watch some good battles out on the water now and again......

The Mumm is sailed by a bunch of scurvey crew who are pox ridden and enjoy a harsh rum........who have only done a handfull of races together on the Mumm 30......still had some great results and it is always nice to finish infront of boats much larger.........

the aim is to finish in front of a farr 40 (POW) or at least port tack them off the start...........

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

What about all the weak pricks who have droped out of the RYCT pennent.........get out on the water!!!!!!! :P

#10 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:51 AM

I will be there whatever the weather... as for most of my crew; that is a different story ;) Maybe I'm not buying sufficient jugs 'o rum? Anyone looking for a ride on Sunday? drop me a PM...

#11 spirit28

spirit28

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:Dinghy racing<br>Keel boat racing<br>Criusing

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:55 AM

Dunno if this counts as "goss", but I see Mirabooka is back on the market....
... for a cool $375,000 (yes; three hundred & seventy five thousand dollars). What were they thinking?

All I can say is "don't hold yer breath cobbers"

Agree.....

On the market for about $100K more than when JB (RIP) had it in the market after he bought "Quest" just before he passed away and I don't think they paid the asking price (who does??).

Yes - the boat has been put into commercial vessel survey & they would have spent a few quid doing that but not $100Ks worth as it pretty much complied with the USL code. The boat looks pretty run down these days.......

Don't think I've ever seen a yacht charter business in Tas be successful over the long term - maybe due to our small population & perceived weather.

#12 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:01 AM

Again, this is strictly gossip, but I heard that "the booka" was purchased for more like $225k... but I certainly wouldn't like to be quoted on that. Still, its a slow day! As to the viability of chartering down here; we were basically having a similar discussion here at smoko. And lets face it, the booka is not exactly ideally laid out for acharter boat... still, far be it from me to piss on another bloke's barbecue (any more than I already have, of course ;)).

Edited by Weyalan, 09 August 2007 - 01:01 AM.

#13 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:53 AM

I don't think they tried that hard with the charter side, just wanting to get enough to pay the boat's keep. Having said that, capitalism is a wonderful thing. The guy who bought my old boat for $17K, spent around $5K on it to tidy it up, "obtained" some new sails thanks to an insurance company (allegedly) and then put it on the market for $40K.

Do you pay capital gains tax on a boat??

#14 spirit28

spirit28

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:16 AM

Do you pay capital gains tax on a boat??

Yes & No........

Yes if it is used as an income producing asset (you may also have to pay GST on the sale) as part of a business. The tax office has been very interested in charter boat operators in recent times.....

You don't pay CGT if it has been used for private purposes.

Muddy waters if it has been used for both business & private use - sorta like if you use part of your house as a place of business.

#15 givemgas

givemgas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:10 AM

If the F40's are barging try shutting the door. Thats right you may need to be on the line.

As far as racing RYCT, and weak pricks, the clubs that supply atmosphere after sailing are the ones being supported.

#16 snoopy

snoopy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:31 AM

Attached File  finecotton.jpg   44.48K   85 downloads

there are 7 Boats that have been a no show that have entered.
And there are heaps that just dont bother.......Its about being on the water racing not the clubs........over the year got to go to all the clubs.....

I think it is the pirates who have scared every one off......AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

#17 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:33 AM

If the F40's are barging try shutting the door. Thats right you may need to be on the line.

Not really an option for me since BYC have, in their infinite wisdom, put us down into Div2 for the Winter Pennant series despite the fact that we regularly beat several of the boats that they left in Div1.... not that it matters much; I have fun either way.

#18 snoopy

snoopy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:46 AM

What Boat???

RYCT did that to us last year for the winter we one that pennent.....and this this year we have steped up to div 1 and we are leading that by 6 points with one race to go........

the Fun level has not changed just an extra lap!!!! Its all about being out on the water with your mates and beating boats that you want to across the line..........

#19 BigRig

BigRig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:17 AM

Hobart sailors (generally speaking) need to take a long hard look at themselves... there is far too much bitching, whinging and negativity, and it's not doing our sport any favours. There are countless examples if I need to elaborate.

How about people look at growing the sport, take out a mate who doesn't sail, get involved in the junior side of things etc, and stop worrying about "who paid how much for what?", or "why did he buy that shitter?"

When I pop down to the club for a beer after work, I am doing it to get away from the shithouse soaps on TV, not to see a real life version.

How about people start looking at the sport with a more positive attitude??????

#20 snoopy

snoopy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:25 AM

As much as I hate to agree with some one called "Big Rig". :unsure :P
I agree....

As for having a hard look at the sailors......most of them are not pretty so I can understand why no one wants to look at them selves!!!!

I would like to se a long distance race (so its not techically hard) and get all the boats that could do it ....
(JOG IES upwards)

50 + boats.....that would be cool.....there are 8 North shores alone!!!!

Crew would be an issue but there could something to encourage people to bring Newbies along!!!!!!

#21 TwoHeadsAreBetterThanOne

TwoHeadsAreBetterThanOne

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:09 AM

Yes & No........

Yes if it is used as an income producing asset (you may also have to pay GST on the sale) as part of a business. The tax office has been very interested in charter boat operators in recent times.....
You don't pay CGT if it has been used for private purposes.

Muddy waters if it has been used for both business & private use - sorta like if you use part of your house as a place of business.

Not quite right.... suggest you look at "Personal Use" assets - CGT applies if they cost more than 10k - Para 12-400 of the Master Tax Guide says personal use assets include boats.

Even worse if used as part of a business - boat = depreciable asset, sell for more than cost then normal tax, not Capital Gains Tax - OUCH!!

Two Heads
(Bean Counter)

#22 givemgas

givemgas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:46 PM

Hobart sailors (generally speaking) need to take a long hard look at themselves... there is far too much bitching, whinging and negativity, and it's not doing our sport any favours. There are countless examples if I need to elaborate.

How about people look at growing the sport, take out a mate who doesn't sail, get involved in the junior side of things etc, and stop worrying about "who paid how much for what?", or "why did he buy that shitter?"

When I pop down to the club for a beer after work, I am doing it to get away from the shithouse soaps on TV, not to see a real life version.

I agree with all the above...........

It's funny to read all the bagging of the F40'sin this and past threads. People commenting on crew poaching by them etc.
F40's have added a bit of spark back into the scene, such as people watching the sport from the sidelines. All comments have been good.

I know on most of the boats the crew are/were from existing boats, the owners previously owned, other sailors pulled from retirement, and junior sailors that have never sailed keel boats before being trained. So if they can produce 50 people sailing competetively most weeks that is a good thing. For the sport and the clubs involved.

I also think some of the inovation from the clubs, will help boost numbers, they are trying to keep it interesting.

Whilst I enjoy racing, I also enjoy hospitality. My comments about the RYCT are based on the fact they do not give anything back to the members or competitors. They only supply an event & venue. A simple gold coin donation for a sausage would go along way for them to rebuild member/owner/crew participation both on and of the water. People have family's and would like them to be involved as weekends are not long. The two minor clubs seem to accommodate that better than the RYCT, and maybe that is why they have a better representation. Hopefully the RYCT will have the numbers back come summer.

#23 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:02 PM

what boat?

Insatiable

I am a guy who bought "that shitter" (1984 IOR I-tonner that was, apparently, pretty much a pig from day 1), but I love my boat, have a bundle of fun, enjoy both racing, cruising and working on the boat. Best thing I ever did, even if it makes me permanently broke.

My current crew includes 2 guys who never set foot on a yacht before Insatiable and a couple of blokes who have come out of retirement (in one case after 20 years off the water). We truely are a motley crew! But we have fun (both on the water and in the bar), are learning heaps and, in general, not disgracing ourselves. I couldn't give two hoots what division we are in, we are just trying to do our best (and to beat the black boat home;))

There is a lot of dissatisfaction with the way the RYCT is being run. I work with 3 or 4 long-time (20 years+) members who seem to be saying that the management of the club is going down the shitter. I am not a member, nor a regular visiter to the RYCT, so I am in no position to comment on these claims, nevertheless, the poor showing for the RYCT races would seem to bear this out.

I agree that the Farr40 fleet has been really good for the local scene. I disagree with those that suggest that Hunn, Rogers and Clark have purchased a faster boat and have essentially won by having deeper pockets. Like I mentioned above, I see them out training more than the other boats and this, more than the inherent quickness of the boat has more to do with their current form IMO (not that my opinion is worth a pinch of shit).

Edited by Weyalan, 13 August 2007 - 03:54 AM.

#24 MarchHare

MarchHare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:44 AM

Theres definitely an us and them attitude at the royal on more than one level to. New comodoore got alot of work to do to get the average sailor back. Its piss poor tho when only one Farr 40 crew from royal botherd to come to dss for presntatison last week. Voodoo has repsect cos they are the best.

Agree with BigRig but when that sort of attitude is outt there its hard not to get pissed off.

DSS program for next season looks the best. What do others think of sailing south. I think they are gonna make it a second rate crown series. Big boys will think why bother and others will think why do we need two?

#25 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:04 AM

I think a few of the War Games guys were there as well but I didn't see anyone from Wired or POW. That's always been the way though, the "top guns" of the RYCT won't go over to the DSS to drink even if it's a DSS race, so it's not an F40 phenomenom.

I suggested to the RYCT that they make Sailing South the official Tasmanian Keelboat Championships which might attract more boats from up north and down the Huon etc, give it some status, make it open to interstate boats too but they can't win the TKC trophy. I don't know about the format for 2008, seems like a regatta for the sake of having a regatta to me.

I like the DSS concept of a pennant up to Christmas and the sprint series ideas.

Going to be a bit of flow in the Derwent on Sunday. Huon River has flooded already.

#26 givemgas

givemgas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:16 AM

I think a few of the War Games guys were there as well but I didn't see anyone from Wired or POW. That's always been the way though, the "top guns" of the RYCT won't go over to the DSS to drink even if it's a DSS race, so it's not an F40 phenomenom.

I suggested to the RYCT that they make Sailing South the official Tasmanian Keelboat Championships which might attract more boats from up north and down the Huon etc, give it some status, make it open to interstate boats too but they can't win the TKC trophy. I don't know about the format for 2008, seems like a regatta for the sake of having a regatta to me.

I like the DSS concept of a pennant up to Christmas and the sprint series ideas.

Going to be a bit of flow in the Derwent on Sunday. Huon River has flooded already.

I think you may find Bangers boys turned up to the DSS bar last weekend and were turned away. As the bar did not open until 12:00.

Also Wired were represented at the previous DSS race until stumps. People can't turn up every week.
So keep your "top guns" slagging to yourself.

I would say 9.9 times out of 10 people from F40's that raced that day are at the bar. Sorry but happy to be noticed when we dont show.

See you all for a snag or sav at BYC this week.

#27 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:35 AM

I would say 9.9 times out of 10 people from F40's that raced that day are at the bar.

Slackers! What about the other 0.1?

#28 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:46 AM

New comodoore got alot of work to do to get the average sailor back.

So who is the new commodore? I heard there was a bit of static around the election, but couldn't get a handle on the issues.
There was some talk about problems with the Marina extensions, any takers?

#29 42 South

42 South

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:59 AM

Yes - If it keep's up the Pipeopener looks as though would be interesting event ........

Attached File  pic16896.jpg   108.42K   42 downloads

From our perspective we hope it blows it's %#@'s off on Sunday - see u out there.

#30 42 South

42 South

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:17 AM

I guess this price includes the automatic helming device though not sure from the equipment list whether a tensionometer is also included.....

Attached File  JB.jpg   26.57K   405 downloads

#31 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:29 AM

That model seems to be the one with the built in PFD too

#32 snoopy

snoopy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:40 AM

Thats the Werns Daughter!!!!!

#33 snoopy

snoopy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:01 AM

Sorry no its not the werns Daughter.......!!!!

#34 ALWAYS ON THE BOW

ALWAYS ON THE BOW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:37 AM

Sorry no its not the werns Daughter.......!!!!

That's one of her close friends, just as pleasing on the eye. :P

#35 spirit28

spirit28

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:54 AM

So who is the new commodore? I heard there was a bit of static around the election, but couldn't get a handle on the issues.
There was some talk about problems with the Marina extensions, any takers?

Alistair Douglas - been running the 3 peaks race for years and has been on various committees etc for years @ the Royals - nice guy - but I wouldn't take on what he has inherited. The "establishment" has been trying to keep him out for years but it looks as though no one else wants the job with the "unknown unknowns" (borrowed from Donald Rumsfeld(sp?)) so was duly elected.

From what I hear, there may be some significant cost overruns with the marina extension - and some oversights with supplying water & power (like try a new power main as the existing one did not have sufficient capacity).

Total cost is said to be around the $5M mark - but no one is saying & is a big secret. Not disclosed in the Annual Report that I could see - glad I'm not a member there any more. I also hear that the existing marina has a few problems that need urgent attention - talking about rotting piles - looks OK above water - but like most marine structures the problems start below the waterline!!

#36 Y-Bar

Y-Bar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:49 AM

Anyone in that neck of the woods know what happened to those guys who were going to NZ to get Bully's cat and bring ot back for another half assed shot at the single rtw record. I dont want to drag that thread up again but was just wondering if there was any info. There should be another weather window comming up in sixteen weeks.

#37 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 02:06 AM

Alistair Douglas - been running the 3 peaks race for years and has been on various committees etc for years @ the Royals - nice guy - but I wouldn't take on what he has inherited. The "establishment" has been trying to keep him out for years but it looks as though no one else wants the job with the "unknown unknowns" (borrowed from Donald Rumsfeld(sp?)) so was duly elected.

From what I hear, there may be some significant cost overruns with the marina extension - and some oversights with supplying water & power (like try a new power main as the existing one did not have sufficient capacity).

Total cost is said to be around the $5M mark - but no one is saying & is a big secret. Not disclosed in the Annual Report that I could see - glad I'm not a member there any more. I also hear that the existing marina has a few problems that need urgent attention - talking about rotting piles - looks OK above water - but like most marine structures the problems start below the waterline!!

Hmmm might get interesting, the marina is about nine months over schedule as well..
I guess there is demand for slots though, so they might try to recover the costs by upping the charges.

#38 jeff

jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:50 AM

Well Fellas I'd just like to add my bit. Made the name easy, Shouldn't be any doubt who this is....

I reckon the Farr 40 blokes are doing fine. They are spending the money and getting extra crew back into sailing so whats wrong with that. The reality is that any sport has its share of wankers and the Hobart scene is no different to anywhere else. Therefore theres a fair chance that the Farr 40's have their share wankers in their ranks as the rest of us. Nothing new here.

Whats forgotten is the contribution that some of these blokes make behind the scenes. Hughie (Euro) has sponsored many events in the past. Banga (War Games) also opens his cheque book from time to time. Nick Rogers has coached both War Games and Euro) Crews, although I admit some of it has been paid, but a 7 times world champion in Dragons is worth a few $$'s if your serious. These are owners so what are the crew contributing. About the same as the rst of the fleet I reckon.

But I'm not pissing in the Farr 40 owners pockets here. Some of the starting tactics that I've seen have been borderline basic. Some have got a bit to learn. This summer we'll see a few prangs but after a few insurance claims I'm sure things will settle down. A few evenings in the room will sort this out but for those who feel agrieved then you need to show the flag. If the flag isn't up it didn't happen. You are not doing anyone any favours by bitching here.

The Hobart scene is actually very healthy at the moment. Theres a bit of bitching about how Div 1 should be sailed. Most want Windward Leewards and other argue that for IRC to be successful you need a mix of reaching courses.

The reality is that both have valid arguements. For me I'm in the wind/leeward camp - same as the Farr40's. I'm time poor and want to compete flat out and then go home. I have no interest in touring around our harbour all day. If I was I'd enter in Div 2.

Someone refered to the BYC and DSS as the minor club. Must be a RYCT member. Lets not count membership, lets count boats on water. BYC =42, boats, DSS has 36 and RYCT has 33 if you count the kids. That makes the RYCT a minor club in my books.

As for the comments about the mumm30. Looks to me that a few of the rockstars have left. I see that he has a fellow boat owner on board, a bloke that works in a chandlery and a few that you see around the clubs and always say G'day. Looks to me like a good bunch of sailors that understand what the owner is providing. Steves not much different to me. Loves sailing and lives on rice and lentils to fund it, so theres no room on board for people that don't respect the boat and recognise the cost of breakages. They get out a sail every weekend, and finish every race and are sailing well.

So if there are any farr40 sailors reading this can anyone explain why they have so many retirements? Everytime the mumms go past the 40's they seem to have some sort of problem that requires them to retire. I can't understand why.

So if you want to see sailing in Hobart improve, why not PM an owner and offer advice rather than abuse. Each club has plenty of committees that you could contribute to. BYC is having a working bee. Pick up a brush and give something back. If your part of a shit hot crew, talk to the club and offer something. At least offer to take on the BBQ duties after a race. Maybe you'll meet someone that you can help. It up to you, but one things for sure if you think you are a legend you're probably not. Time to look at yourself honestly.

Cheers Jeff

#39 Sparky

Sparky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:33 AM

We discovered a way to avoid barging problems today. We just started about 3 boat lengths behind everybody else - a bit of bad air but stress free. Then we decided to sail on the wrong tack for a while - looked like it was working until we had to climb up to the lay line in an unfortunately lifting 4 knots (generously estimated) of breeze.

What a lottery it was out there today! Poor Old BYC has been a bit plagued by light air for their winter series.

Every time we thought we had 42 South beaten we'd find a hole and he'd find a puff.

About when half of the div 2 fleet had passed us and we hadn't moved for 20 minutes all of a sudden a couple of the ever faithful team mates suddenly remembered pressing appointments ashore. The high point of the day for us was that 42S and Banger both threw in the towel before we did.

Despite all the above we had a good time on the water.

Jeff - thanks for dropping in. What you've said makes sense. As usual, a no-nonsense approach from you.

Cheers;

Sparky (Roy)

#40 ALWAYS ON THE BOW

ALWAYS ON THE BOW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:44 PM

Hmmm might get interesting, the marina is about nine months over schedule as well..
I guess there is demand for slots though, so they might try to recover the costs by upping the charges.

Not only is there issues under the water, but also with the current power and water on the existing marina.
At high tide the power goes off, somewhere the cables are under water not for the perpose of water cooling.
If their going to the so called effort for building and extension (a big change from the orignial Idea of a new marina and seperate), maybe they should focus on looking after whats there already.
Spend a bit to look after what we currently have before it becomes to danaged, I can't see them replacing it.

#41 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:48 PM

Jeepers Jeff; this is Sailing Anarchy - we want gossip, innuendo and mud-slinging, not sensible, reasonable & logical discourse! (I kid). FWIW I gave half a day with a scraper at the BYC working bee (and even vacuumed up my own mess rather than just hosing it into the water) and will give half a day with a paint brush if it ain't raining this weekend...

All I'm gonna say about Sunday's race was that I was sweating rum (from the night before) before we even started and that the beer 'n snags at the Club afterwards were great!

Edited by Weyalan, 12 August 2007 - 11:48 PM.

#42 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:14 AM

The high point of the day for us was that 42S and Banger both threw in the towel before we did.

Banga wasn't sailing War Games as he's in Airlie so I'm not sure who was driving. A guy I used to crew for had the mantra, "Never pull out while the race is still on." We cursed him for that when we were the only boat to complete the HYC Green Island Zuidpool Rock Race which took us 18 hours in an Adams 10, but it has seemed to have stuck. War Games pulled out just after we passed them. Don't worry, we let them know that they were soft but really it was a complete lottery.

I know how hard it is to run a fair race and appreciate the efforts of all the race committees and PRO's but really the BYC needs to have a look at itself this season. We had race 1 where even if the breeze held in some of the boats at the back end of the Div 1 fleet would not have finished in the time limit and then yesterday!! Blind Freddy could have seen that the land breeze wasn't going to hold and with that amount of flow in the river to set legs that long was a recipe for disaster when the wind went up in the air.

I guess if I had the same view as givemgas I would say, "But I suppose what could you expect from a minor club?" That sort of attitude really pisses me off and is typical of the snobbiness/bitchiness aluded to above. Sometimes I rise above it .. Other times (and this is Anarchy after all) ..

I sail where I can get good competition and the best facilities for my boat, and have supported all three Hobart clubs since I bought Spanish back in 2002. I'm Vice Commodore of the Port Esperance Sailing Club but only sail my keel-boat there once a year when I can drag some other top boats down there for the regatta at Easter. When we launched the Mumm 30 some bright spark arsehole from the Royal read the transom and said, "Port Esperance Sailing Club? Bet you have a whole fleet of Mumm 30's down there?" "One more than you've got here mate," was my reply. I have been criticised by the BYC as just another boat from "over there" taking our trophies, when we were doing well in the twilights. I got criticised by the DSS when I joined the RYCT, what are you going over there for? (It was for hardstand crane access - OK, seeing as the water's too shallow under the crane maybe the DSS were right) Yet when one of my crew resigns his RYCT membership and joins the DSS he gets the same criticism, and some unfounded accusations that he can't pay his bills. Yacht clubs are about sailing, not society pecking order wank, so let's get back to what we are here for.

Rant over, I'll now rise above it and concentrate on next weekend where hopefully I can help Fine Cotton to a second overall winter pennant in a row. At least it probably won't go as fast backwards as the Mumm.

#43 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:39 AM

Word is that Banga is hell bent on stuffing Kealy's handicap right up for Hammo - 3 races so far at Airlie Beach race week and 3 bullets: Cyclone's (a.k.a. "Fish Franzy" ??) handicap has gone from 0.85 to 1.06 in doble-quick-time. Hahahahaha.

#44 MarchHare

MarchHare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 02:02 AM

Rant over, I'll now rise above it and concentrate on next weekend where hopefully I can help Fine Cotton to a second overall winter pennant in a row. At least it probably won't go as fast backwards as the Mumm.

Hahahahah I saw the Mumm goin backwards from not far away to. Leas you didnt do circles. That race was a joke but we had a larf. givemgas u giv me the shits. Mebbe thats why derwent was brown yesterday. Well done Jeff rounding first on the first leg thatll show em.

#45 ALWAYS ON THE BOW

ALWAYS ON THE BOW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 02:45 AM

I thought Fine cotton had it in the bag and just need to turn up and race???.
Although it would be nice to see another win on the board.

#46 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:22 AM

Word is that Banga is hell bent on stuffing Kealy's handicap right up for Hammo - 3 races so far at Airlie Beach race week and 3 bullets: Cyclone's (a.k.a. "Fish Franzy" ??) handicap has gone from 0.85 to 1.06 in doble-quick-time. Hahahahaha.

Brett and Jacinta are sitting in about 6th in the sports boats. It blew a bit on Friday and they broke their bowsprit but are still hanging in there. Like the handicap adjustment for Frenzy - 1st to last - harsh!

#47 givemgas

givemgas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:23 AM

As a member of one of the 'minor' clubs, BYC. The comment was based around how DSS & BYC are thought of by some of the RYCT. I have sailed on a RYCT boat once where a comment was made when not doing so well, that it's only a BYC race so don't worry. This person was quite high up at the RYCT at the time. I appologise if my use of 'minor' was miss understood.

If you read the rest of my comments I also stated that BYC & DSS committee's are seen to be trying very hard on and off the water, sailing & social and maybe that's why they are getting more participation than the RYCT.

The PRO at Bellerive is a volunteer, no need to put rubbish on those people.

Feel free to sledge my comments again.
Or name call etc. without reason?

#48 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:16 AM

I also stated that BYC & DSS committee's are seen to be trying very hard on and off the water, sailing & social and maybe that's why they are getting more participation than the RYCT.

The PRO at Bellerive is a volunteer, no need to put rubbish on those people.

I agree whole-heartedly about the efforts that two out of the three clubs are doing. I have also run regattas and weekly pennant races as a volunteer PRO, often totally without support, so I know how hard it is. Sometimes you make mistakes but the best chance of not making mistakes is to minimise the effect that they will have before they do. The one thing that is predictable about the Derwent is that it's unpredictable so yesterday shorter legs would have reduced the risk of two boats getting around the mark while the rest of the fleet was left going backwards in no breeze and strong current.

War Games didn't pull out because we passed them - they pulled out because the conditions (natural and imposed) made it impossible for them to make any inroads on the boats they are really racing, the other Farrs - which finished almost an hour in front of Jeff in Host+.

I think we have to do a bit more than turn up on Fine Cotton on Sunday but we might troll a fishing line or two. I think Gav would prefer to anchor in the middle of the course and go fishing but our nazi in high heels tactician won't allow anchoring.

#49 snoopy

snoopy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:37 AM

I am still suprised that the under water Kite (to catch current) was rejected by the crew!!!!
Maybe a drouge????

As I found out at the cygnet regatta drouges are good for catching current.....hard to tie onto some ones keel when they are catching the current!!! (Sorry Alf)

#50 ALWAYS ON THE BOW

ALWAYS ON THE BOW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:49 AM

I am still suprised that the under water Kite (to catch current) was rejected by the crew!!!!
Maybe a drouge????

As I found out at the cygnet regatta drouges are good for catching current.....hard to tie onto some ones keel when they are catching the current!!! (Sorry Alf)

You don't have to ask permission to use the kite as a drouge, as the Mumm found out last week just have a newbie in the pitt!!!!!
Drop doesn't mean smoke my friendly Dutchmen!!!!!!!!!!.

I'm greatful for all the PRO's and I thought that all of them in Hobart were volunteers??,
But still doesn't mean just because your a volunteer you can do what you like.
I would rather see everyone finish a shorter course than waste time floating backwards.
Even if it was shorter legs with 6 laps still covering the same distance, this would allow the PRO to shorten after 2,3,4,5 laps if (and it does) the wind drops out.
Is that to much to ask or should this bowmen just shut up and get back to the pointy end.

#51 snoopy

snoopy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:52 AM

yes :P

#52 ALWAYS ON THE BOW

ALWAYS ON THE BOW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:58 AM

yes :P

FINE :angry:
But I wont be using the cone of silence!!!!!!!!!!

#53 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:19 AM

Just checked out your posts givemgas. A total of 6 since January and 3 of them have been personal digs at me. I'll refrain from name-calling but if I couldn't resist the urge then I think I'd at least have a reason.

#54 snoopy

snoopy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:26 AM

I agree with jeff in his analyst of the situation.

I would also like to say that it would be wrong of anybody to give all farr 40 forty sailors a knocking, just because of a few issues.....

Sailing Sailing Sailing.......How do we go about putting an article in the paper each week about sailing and divisons ect ect??????

More marketing would be good for sailing.......I noticed the royal has put signs out the front welcoming visitors........good start.......

also the sunday roast was good there were heaps of people there last time......(when is a sunday roast bad?)

#55 ALWAYS ON THE BOW

ALWAYS ON THE BOW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:36 AM

I agree with jeff in his analyst of the situation.

I would also like to say that it would be wrong of anybody to give all farr 40 forty sailors a knocking, just because of a few issues.....

Sailing Sailing Sailing.......How do we go about putting an article in the paper each week about sailing and divisons ect ect??????

More marketing would be good for sailing.......I noticed the royal has put signs out the front welcoming visitors........good start.......

also the sunday roast was good there were heaps of people there last time......(when is a sunday roast bad?)

The roast is bad when it is combined with the type of music that is played during the meal, Bring on the coke bottle glasses!!!!.

I think it is the attitude of a few of the Farr40 sailors that gives the bad name for the bunch of them, some put themself above the rest, huey and hunn and their crew I have respect for as they always acknowledge the achievements of other sailors and their efforts.
They know we are all out there for the same thing SAILING.

#56 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:50 PM

I don't suppose anyone has, or knows of, an old sail that might do as a #4 for Instiable? (IOR 1-tonner, or close enough to). I'm estimating about 38' luff, 13'6" foot (high cut), 33'6" leech... obviously those measurments are only a guide... I know it is a long shot, but I'd rather pick up a cheap, decent 2nd hand one if possible and save my pennies for a new sail that will get used more than once in a blue moon!

#57 42 South

42 South

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:30 AM

The following has just been sent out by email - if you didn't recieve it, pm me if you are interested....

The offshore sailors in the rating association are trying to put together a program to constitute a “championships“ for the offshore boats for the 2007-8 sailing season. The program should accommodate the boats preparing for the Christmas long races, introduce new and smaller yachts to offshore racing, and recognize the best offshore yacht in Southern Tasmania for the Season.

The proposed program will consist of the following races:
1. 14/9/07 1st Race (Friday Night) of the Pipe Opener
2. 7/10/07 Channel Race
3. 2/11/07 Potential Friday Night Short Offshore Race (Isle of Caves)
4. 23/11/07 Maria Race
5. 9/02/08 Bruny Race
6. 15/03/07 Long Day Race

The races will be scored equally with 1 drop, and the major price will be 1st overall on IRC, with a minor PHS trophy. The races will primarily be Cat 3, and the drop will allow smaller yachts to do the series, but not count the Maria Race.

#58 MarchHare

MarchHare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:57 AM

Channel race a good one to get points in. most nomrlaly to pissd after opening day to enter.

#59 Sparky

Sparky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:23 AM

Does anyone in Hobart have an 8 person Solas liferaft that is available to rent for Maria Island and possibly for Melbourne / Hobart???

I'd be happy to get one inspected if necessary

#60 Chris 249

Chris 249

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:37 AM

The following has just been sent out by email - if you didn't recieve it, pm me if you are interested....

The offshore sailors in the rating association are trying to put together a program to constitute a “championships“ for the offshore boats for the 2007-8 sailing season. The program should accommodate the boats preparing for the Christmas long races, introduce new and smaller yachts to offshore racing, and recognize the best offshore yacht in Southern Tasmania for the Season.

The proposed program will consist of the following races:
1. 14/9/07 1st Race (Friday Night) of the Pipe Opener
2. 7/10/07 Channel Race
3. 2/11/07 Potential Friday Night Short Offshore Race (Isle of Caves)
4. 23/11/07 Maria Race
5. 9/02/08 Bruny Race
6. 15/03/07 Long Day Race

The races will be scored equally with 1 drop, and the major price will be 1st overall on IRC, with a minor PHS trophy. The races will primarily be Cat 3, and the drop will allow smaller yachts to do the series, but not count the Maria Race.

You lucky lucky bastards! Why can't we have something like that in Sydney!

#61 42 South

42 South

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:35 AM

Does anyone in Hobart have an 8 person Solas liferaft that is available to rent for Maria Island and possibly for Melbourne / Hobart???

Sparky - try the Farr 40's I hear they don't go past the Garrow White Rock very often - they must have travelled here on their bottoms and would have needed a raft or two.

Edited by 42 South, 17 August 2007 - 12:24 AM.

#62 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:23 PM

Lurking BYC RC person, is this what you are looking for?

http://www.sailingan...showtopic=58893

#63 kidrock

kidrock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:16 PM

Sparky - try the Farr 40's I hear they don't go past the Garrow very often - they must have travelled here on their bottoms and would have needed a raft or two.

What do you mean by travelled here on their bottoms? The farr 40s go passed the garrow just as often as most other boats on the derwent!!!
:ph34r:

#64 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:04 AM

I sent you a PM Sparky: 8 man zodiac. Good condition. Needs service.

I probably have access to a 2nd 8 man zodiac, also in good condition, but also needing service, if anyone else needs a raft.

#65 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:11 AM

What do you mean by travelled here on their bottoms? The farr 40s go passed the garrow just as often as most other boats on the derwent!!!

Can I interest you in a literacy program kidrock? :P Travelled on their bottoms = sailed to Hobart from whereever the owners bought them from (ie not on trailer or truck). Therefore they must have had life-rafts to do so, BUT the owners said they are not really interested in long distance or offshore races, SO the life-rafts won't get much use, SO they might be available to hire or borrow.

#66 42 South

42 South

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:16 AM

What do you mean by travelled here on their bottoms?

They were sailed here across the big pond, not trucked in, or on a container ship.......

Presumably they had access to araft to do the delivery.

and also welcome to SA NEWBIE

Sparky/Weylan - make sure the raft is compliant with current offshore requirements - this will mean that it will need to have the additional pockets fitted for stability as well as an EPIRB installed in the pack. You will need to give PJ's notice now if you want it serviced by Maria time, as this is when the fishermen get theirs done.

Edited by 42 South, 17 August 2007 - 12:20 AM.

#67 MarchHare

MarchHare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:24 AM

Must be sensitive new age farr 40 type. SNAFFT. not known for brains.

#68 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:41 AM

Sparky/Weylan - make sure the raft is compliant with current offshore requirements - this will mean that it will need to have the additional pockets fitted for stability as well as an EPIRB installed in the pack. You will need to give PJ's notice now if you want it serviced by Maria time, as this is when the fishermen get theirs done.

Thanks for the heads up...

I bought the 2 rafts for a bargain price off a 54' yacht that was in Hobart being refitted and sold one to my boss for his stink-boat. We both planned to use them as "cruising liferafts", but one of the guys where I work used to be certified to service Zodiac rafts, so he conducted an unofficial service of both rafts, including proper air-holding test and he reckoned both were in good condition for their age (1998 & 2000). Like I said, I wasn't planning to use mine for racing, so I didn't get is put into service (plus I'm poorer than a church mouse), but if anyone wanted/needed to borrow one, it is theres if they can afford the service. I recon my boss would say the same too.

Edited by Weyalan, 17 August 2007 - 03:55 AM.

#69 Sparky

Sparky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:12 AM

First - thanks for the offer Weyalan - I'll get back to you as soon as we know for sure what we're doing.

Second - could we please decide to stop class bashing the Farr 40 guys on SA? Sure there are some concerns about how racing - particularly starts - has changed, but thats the kind of thing that is much better solved over a series of cold Cascades than on a forum where people post semi-anonymously. The problem with the internet, as most of us know, is that many people tend to behave in a completely different way than they do in person. Oedipus said nothing more than "some of the Farr 40's may have liferafts that could be rented or borrowed. Someone else then decided to try to make something else of it. People on SA are usually unimpressed with quick repartee or, worse yet, cheap shots.

Nothing good will come of it - only polarisation and angst. If we operate our own local equivalent of the ongoing SA J-105 saga only with Farr 40 sailors then we've accomplished nothing.

What we should be talking about - and doing something about - is recruiting the next generation of bright young sailors into our world so we don't wind up with an average age of 78 on the water.

It is great if we use SA to discuss issues that we can do something about - the discussion about scoring a regatta when 4 of 41 boats finished might be one good example, if you delete the cheap shot comments from a few. The other recent topic that asked if course length should be reconsidered on very light air days is another good example.

Edited by Sparky, 17 August 2007 - 04:15 AM.

#70 Sparky

Sparky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:22 AM

And one more thing... (pant, pant, pant)

I've assisted a few times (as a casual helper) in Castray Box and other places like the committee boat for the J-24 nationals. I know how hard a job being a PRO is. The people who work week in and week out so that we can race deserve our respect and gratitude.

That does not, however, mean that we can't question some of their decisions or seek to discuss the way that things are done.

I would think that anyone who worked as a PRO would understand that out of all the boats in any race, human nature being what it is, there will be a few people who will criticize or question. Being a race officer is not a good job for people with thin skins or quick tempers.

So whoever the mystery Bellerive PRO is who was offended by Oedipus' comments - please understand that we all appreciate the work that all of you do and we hope that you get as much out of sailing as we do and that it adds something valuable to your life. But please also understand that there is nothing wrong with continuous improvement of our racing and periodic dialogue about how to do it better.

Edited by Sparky, 17 August 2007 - 04:23 AM.

#71 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:33 AM

But if we stop bashing the F40 guys, we might have to have a long hard look at ourselves... I'm not sure that I am ready for that horror.

Just for the record, by the way, my boat has recently been parked next to Huey's Farr 40, and Huey has been 100% helpful, good natured and down-to-earth... 2 big thumbs up from me!

Edited by Weyalan, 17 August 2007 - 04:35 AM.

#72 snoopy

snoopy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:16 PM

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

#73 MarchHare

MarchHare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:47 AM

Last royals wineter pennant yesterday. Nice breeze for once. Fine Cotton cleaned up the series well done. Still some grumbling over there handicpa tho but sailed well. Sumone said there was a protest in div 1. Who between. Lotta yellin at other end of the line from where we were. Wots with the dragon that fell off. Dmage?

#74 snoopy

snoopy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:11 AM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAARRGGHH!!!

good win by the scabby crew of fine cotton..the boys did great around the course....Gybs and mark roundings have improved out of site!

It was good to see everyone in the bar yesterday.....

Ps. Glen Roper is on the mend!!!!!

#75 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:02 AM

It was good to see the new RYCT Commodore out and about on Sunday, even on the bow of one of the Div 1 boats!! Well done Alistair.

#76 ryctracer

ryctracer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:06 AM

Long Live alistair!
Maybe Marion could be part of the BYC Racing Committee?
She would do a great job!

#77 BigRig

BigRig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:10 AM

I am interested to know if the new RYCT Commodore has ever visited a Strip Club while away on a sailing trip?

#78 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:53 AM

He was too drunk to remember, but he didn't touch.

Edited by olaf hart, 20 August 2007 - 08:01 AM.

#79 MarchHare

MarchHare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:20 AM

Long Live alistair!
Maybe Marion could be part of the BYC Racing Committee?
She would do a great job!

Carefull ryctracer there are byc lurkers here ready to dob u in! U dont wan a 69 from any of them esp marion! :lol: :lol: :lol:

#80 TwoHeadsAreBetterThanOne

TwoHeadsAreBetterThanOne

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:16 AM

I am interested to know if the new RYCT Commodore has ever visited a Strip Club while away on a sailing trip?

I think there's one on Flinders Island he visits every Easter ....... ;)

Two Heads

#81 Jason AUS

Jason AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:11 AM

Hey chaps, flying in on Friday for a cheeky w/end with the missus, is there any yachting on or has the winter season ended? If so, wouldn't mind a sail if anyone knows of boats short of crew?

She's done a couple of Hobart races and some other bits n bobs, and I've seen a boat. Once. In a book.

:P

PM me?

J

Edited by Jason AUS, 21 August 2007 - 11:12 AM.

#82 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:51 PM

There is a Winter Pennant race out of the Derwent Sailing squadron (DSS) on Sunday morning. Div1 start probably 9:30 or thereabouts... I am not doing the DSS Winter Series otherwise I'd offer you a ride... but you are welcome to come on board and help sand bulkheads! Otherwise, I don't doubt someone will put up their hand to offer you a spot.

#83 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:32 PM

Hey chaps, flying in on Friday for a cheeky w/end with the missus, is there any yachting on or has the winter season ended? If so, wouldn't mind a sail if anyone knows of boats short of crew?

She's done a couple of Hobart races and some other bits n bobs, and I've seen a boat. Once. In a book.

:P

PM me?

J

We have a full crew on the Mumm 30 but PM Sparky, he might have space on the 38 because some of his crew have had other commitments recently.

#84 Jason AUS

Jason AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:58 AM

There is a Winter Pennant race out of the Derwent Sailing squadron (DSS) on Sunday morning. Div1 start probably 9:30 or thereabouts... I am not doing the DSS Winter Series otherwise I'd offer you a ride... but you are welcome to come on board and help sand bulkheads! Otherwise, I don't doubt someone will put up their hand to offer you a spot.

What an offer!
I think if I put that to the girl she'd ask why I don't show as much interest in the walls at home that require sanding and painting...

:lol:

#85 Sparky

Sparky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:20 AM

We have a full crew on the Mumm 30 but PM Sparky, he might have space on the 38 because some of his crew have had other commitments recently.

I don't think we're doing the pennant race this Sunday but if it isn't 2 degrees out we may head out for a training / fresh air sail in the early arvo.
If you don't get any better offers then send me a PM and I'll keep you advised.

#86 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:39 PM

Final DSS Winter Pennant this weekend:

Div1 is looking like a 2 horse race between Wings Three and everyone's favorite Farr40-OD Voodoo Chile, with Andrew Hunn & Nick "would you buy a used car from this man" Rogers, although Robin White's Excite is still an outside chace (if he can keep his rudder attached to the boat). Wired, Archie, Oediupus Complex & War Games are neck and neck. Should be a good race.

Div2 is going to be a humdinger. The top 5 boats are all within 4 points going into the race: Roustabout & Hornet currently share the lead (9 points each), with Spare Time & Lock on Wood (10) & Saga(12) in close proximity. Good luck picking a winner!

Oh, and for the record, "Voodoo Chile" is a reference to a Jimmy Hendrix song and therefore "Chile" shold be pronounced rhymning with "smile", not "silly": Idoits!

#87 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:33 PM

Oh, and for the record, "Voodoo Chile" is a reference to a Jimmy Hendrix song and therefore "Chile" shold be pronounced rhymning with "smile", not "silly": Idoits!

The Hunn has had a succession of boats named that I believe, and they have rarely been pronounced correctly. At least after three seasons most race committees can now pronounce Oedipus Complex properly. In the first year it would be, "And in first/second/third place is .... um .... ah .... it's ..."

#88 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:55 PM

And I wonder how many even get the not so subtle mum-loving reference? Haha.

#89 Trim on

Trim on

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:43 AM

The Hunn has had a succession of boats named that I believe, and they have rarely been pronounced correctly. At least after three seasons most race committees can now pronounce Oedipus Complex properly. In the first year it would be, "And in first/second/third place is .... um .... ah .... it's ..."

Dunno about a succession of boats with that name, but he does seem to prefer song names as boat names?
Being for the benefit of Mr Kite, from the Beatles?

#90 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:01 AM

I heard a dumor that Mr. Kite can beat a sabot across the line in a w/l course (but not on corrected) ;)

#91 MarchHare

MarchHare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:02 AM

At least after three seasons most race committees can now pronounce Oedipus Complex properly. In the first year it would be, "And in first/second/third place is .... um .... ah .... it's ..."

Wnder if byc comittee will pronounce it write when they make radio call next sunday to say ur not welcome on the start? :lol: :lol: :lol:

jst joshing mate - i think the pro is a prick for wot hes done

#92 womp

womp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:47 AM

Dunno about a succession of boats with that name, but he does seem to prefer song names as boat names?
Being for the benefit of Mr Kite, from the Beatles?

Yeah a succession of boats with song names... some pretty cool ones (songs that is) that not everyone may have heard of - eg Mexican Radio

#93 spirit28

spirit28

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:15 AM

Yeah a succession of boats with song names... some pretty cool ones (songs that is) that not everyone may have heard of - eg Mexican Radio

Not all song names - can anyone remember the name of his fireball in the '70's - was the flashiest boat around with Harken everything - pretty novel for an Aust boat in those days.... bright red hull (cause red is even faster than orange) with a perfectly varnished mahogany deck.

Hint - famous american band named after a city on the shores of Lake Michigan

He also won an Aust championship in LW sharpies - boat was called Dymano Humm (always used to think it was called Dymano Hunn - ie named after himself...) one of the first LW sharpies to go with "tight" rig - boat was also a glam - pretty much like all his boats have been/are...

Yeah - all his boats seem to have a music theme in the name...

#94 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:35 AM

Humbug?

#95 MarchHare

MarchHare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:05 AM

Come on guys were slipping. Not on front page no more. DSS pennant wrap up yesterday. Voodoo one overall cos wings three had a shocker. Interestig cousre for a change.

#96 womp

womp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:51 AM

Not all song names - can anyone remember the name of his fireball in the '70's - was the flashiest boat around with Harken everything - pretty novel for an Aust boat in those days.... bright red hull (cause red is even faster than orange) with a perfectly varnished mahogany deck.

Hint - famous american band named after a city on the shores of Lake Michigan

He also won an Aust championship in LW sharpies - boat was called Dymano Humm (always used to think it was called Dymano Hunn - ie named after himself...) one of the first LW sharpies to go with "tight" rig - boat was also a glam - pretty much like all his boats have been/are...

Yeah - all his boats seem to have a music theme in the name...

Chicago?

Dynamo Humm - Frank Zappa

I couldn't say where she's coming' from,
But I just met a lady named Dinah-Moe Humm

She stroll on over, say look here, bum,
I got a forty dollar bill say you can't make me ***
(Y'jes can't do it)

She made a bet with her sister who's a little bit dumb
She could prove it any time all men was scum

I don't mind that she called me a bum,
But I knew right away she was really gonna ***
(So I got down to it)

I whipped off her bloomers'n stiffened my thumb
An' applied rotation on her sugar plum

I poked 'n stroked till my wrist got numb
But I still didn't hear no Dinah-Moe Humm,
Dinah-Moe Humm

................and so on as only Frank Zappa can....

#97 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:13 AM

This is Anarchy womp, you can say the word cum. Just have a look at the number of times the word fuck appears in the Finn Sailor Melt-down thread!!! Good to see we don't have too many arseholes like that on the race course.

I was mistaken before but there was a Sharpie called Voodoo Chilli.

#98 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:40 AM

Last BYC Pennant this weekend. As has been already mentioned, conditions have been less than ideal in 2 or 3 of the races, with the smaller boats getting rather unfortunately penalised in the last race in particular ... lets hope for fair breeze on Sunday. Division 1 has Voodoo Chile is out in front, with Stephen Boyes' Wired snapping at their heels, with Steve Davison in Sows Ear and Banger in War Games fighting over the minor places. Chad Grafton leads Division 2 in Half Harted (has he told the handicapper that he doesn't have an engine?), only half a point ahead of Roustabout, with Shadowfax in 3rd: Should be a good race there.

After that, the Pipe Opener beckons. This year, in a break from tradition, the boats are going to be accommodated at the Port Huon Marina complex, rather than the wharf. The owners of the marina have, apparently, purchased the Kermandie Tavern, although one doubts that this will effect the fights and carrying on typically associated with this fine weekend. Hopefully the Pipe Opener will be well supported; my tub will be taking the trip south, assuming I can find a few jack-tars to crew. Hopefully the promise of a decent lamb roast with roast potatoes and all the trimmings will entice them out of the woodwork.

#99 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:55 AM

Just for the record, and before any potential trouble starts:

My comment about Half Hearted not having an engine was tongue in cheek: I think almost everyone around the BYC Club realises that the boat does have its proper engine on board, but so far it has obstinately refused to function and that Chad has been working very hard to try to get it working (and he reckons it will be running by this weekend, so they won't be getting towed out to the start this time). I definitely did not mean to imply that Chad was bending the rules. I reckon he and the boys have done a great job with Half Hearted, have been sailing her really well and good luck to them. Apologies if anyone thought I was having a go at them, nothing could have been further from the truth.

#100 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:46 AM

After that, the Pipe Opener beckons. This year, in a break from tradition, the boats are going to be accommodated at the Port Huon Marina complex, rather than the wharf. The owners of the marina have, apparently, purchased the Kermandie Tavern, although one doubts that this will effect the fights and carrying on typically associated with this fine weekend.

Won't comment on the BYC - still waiting to see if I'll be accepted on the start line. :unsure:

I drive past the Port Huon Marina every day and to be frank I think there's buckley's chance that it will be finished in time to host the number of boats which normally do the Pipe Opener. There is no sign yet of any gear which looks anything like it could be used for an expanded floating marina. They have done a heap of dredging though - and filled in the area across from the pub so that it now looks like the Battle of the Somme. But, I'm willing (and hoping) to be surprised.

Sean Langman's mob (who own the marina) have just re-opened the Tavern. It has been closed pretty much all this year (maybe longer) so maybe the more obnoxious locals (unlike the nice ones like me!!) would have found somewhere else to go.

And just to stir the possum - did Chad advise a change of helmsman before he went off to Airlie? :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users