2 replies to this topic

#1 Nelsonsblood

Nelsonsblood

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:16 AM

Has anyone converted from shaft drive to saildrive (during a re-power)? I would be interested in hearing about the performance before/after, prop walk, etc. I am thinking about a repower from a Perkins Prima 60 to a Yanmar 4JH4-TE (75hp) and have to buy a new trans anyway.

Thanks.

#2 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:52 AM

With the same prop, there should be less prop walk because the prop won't be so far aft.

Off course, you'll need a new prop because the sail drive shafts are splined. If the reduction is different, you'll need different pitch, too, which will change your whole prop walk story.

What kind of boat? What kind of prop?

#3 sleddog

sleddog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:49 PM

Having been involved with a (race) boat that changed to a Saildrive, I'd say it has been less than a success....The underwater vertical leading edge catches weed, with no way identifying or flossing short of backing down or sending a crew over the side..the dissimilar metals underwater have been an electrolysis nightmare, requiring complete engine removal.

Yanmar wants $300 for the optional in-the-water zinc change kit, otherwise you have to haul every time you need to change the zinc. I should mention I have seen several Saildrive folding prop blades fall off recently, including on the overall '07 Transpac winner and on a local Sydney 38...evidently the set screws holding the clevis pin on a blade came unscrewed. Luckily, the prop blade escapee on the Sydney didn't fly upwards through the hull.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users