#1 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:05 PM

Harken threw a little party last night for the builders and press, and Mer, Ben S, and crazy Jonas from Nexus went and got pretty obliterated. It didn't help that the sum total of sleep I got since Tuesday was about 3 hours, having driven here directly from Detroit while my lovely lady slept in the back on Thursday night. She had no such excuse - but decide to drink four glasses of wine without having eaten a thing. She was certainly wackier than usual, and as always, the craziest, funnest girl in the room.

We're jumping in the shower and going to run over to the show, and when we get there, we'll start talking to people and get some close-up pics and video of things that are interesting to us.

Every hour or so, Mer will get some pics up, and I'll try to upload the video. No editing, no cutting, so suffer through it, or don't bother looking. I already know I am a douche, so I don't have to worry that I'll be making an ass of myself.

Already on our list of stuff to show you closeup are the Farr 11S, Esse 850, Crosscurrent, Gunboat 62 (pimpdaddymotha), Viper, SB3, Rocket 22, and plenty of other crap that I'm too hung over to remember. Sam Rodgers, married last week, was at the Melges booth, and he wouldn't tell me shit. Andy Burdick, VP, should be there today, and we'll see if we can get him to show us the drawings, at least.

Post here and let us know what else you want to see, or know about, or people you'd like us to interview, and what you want to know from them. Everything will be in here - not the front page.

#2 flaps15

flaps15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:23 PM

Go get 'em Clean. What am I saying? I'm here too. :D

#3 John D

John D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:28 PM

Already on our list of stuff to show you closeup are the Farr 11S, Esse 850, Crosscurrent, Gunboat 62 (pimpdaddymotha), Viper, SB3, Rocket 22, and plenty of other crap that I'm too hung over to remember. Sam Rodgers, married last week, was at the Melges booth, and he wouldn't tell me shit. Andy Burdick, VP, should be there today, and we'll see if we can get him to show us the drawings, at least.

Post here and let us know what else you want to see, or know about, or people you'd like us to interview, and what you want to know from them. Everything will be in here - not the front page.

Please stop by booth 37 (Johannsen Boats Works) for a beer and to see some cool dinghys! If you see the open 5.70 let us know
Thanks .......JD

#4 Delusional Danno

Delusional Danno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Interests:I've sailed all sorts of boats from starting in the optimist, blue jays, 420's, X-boats, Lasers, E scows, MC's, A Scows, C Scows, Lightnings, Albacore, etc....<br /><br />

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:31 PM

Kick Burdick in the nuts till he hands over info on the 20. I'm dying to know what that's all about.

D

#5 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:47 PM

No worries, Danno. He knows that a boot is coming if he doesn't reveal all. I suspect there's just not that much to tell, but if there's anything that'll motivate MBW, it's the SB3 giving free rides all weekend long, stationed right next to Melges.

A PM gently reminded me that this is more than just me and mer's report - there have got to be a thousand anarchists here today, so if you've got pics, video, comments, make sure and post them here. Who needs boat show reports? If everyone contributes, this will have more information on the show than would ever be available somewhere else.

See ya soon.

#6 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:50 PM

after two glasses of wine, Mer wasn't shy about jumping up on the Farr to snap some quick shots.

Where else is everybody? We'll be checking in - but don't be shy about grabbing us and introducing yourselves. I'm sportin' the big red A today.

Attached Files

#7 oregonsailor

oregonsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Sailing<br />Golf<br />Alpine Skiing<br />Biking<br />Cars (1998 540i 6spd)

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:50 PM

No worries, Danno. He knows that a boot is coming if he doesn't reveal all. I suspect there's just not that much to tell, but if there's anything that'll motivate MBW, it's the SB3 giving free rides all weekend long, stationed right next to Melges.

A PM gently reminded me that this is more than just me and mer's report - there have got to be a thousand anarchists here today, so if you've got pics, video, comments, make sure and post them here. Who needs boat show reports? If everyone contributes, this will have more information on the show than would ever be available somewhere else.

See ya soon.

Greatly appreciated Clean and any and all posters. Still at work on the left coast today. We head out and hit the show on Sunday. Until then and for those who can't make the trip.........this is our portal to the show. Thanks! B)

Keep the sun Shinning!

Mt. Hood/Timberline Lodge..........wintery B)

Detailed text forecast
Today: A 20 percent chance of snow showers before 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 31. Northwest wind between 7 and 10 mph.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a temperature rising to around 35 by midnight. Northwest wind 7 to 9 mph becoming south southwest.

Saturday: Snow likely, mainly after 11am. Cloudy, with a high near 36. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 7 to 10 mph becoming west between 21 and 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Saturday Night: A 50 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 32. Breezy, with a west wind between 21 and 24 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph.

Sunday: A 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36. West southwest wind 18 to 21 mph decreasing to between 7 and 10 mph.

Sunday Night: Periods of snow, mainly before 11pm. Low around 33. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Columbus Day: A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41.

#8 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:02 PM

We just made an executive decision: Due to our inability to get the fuck out of bed this morning, we are going to stay here tonight as well so we can make sure and get everything we can out of the show for SA.

We're on our way now, finally...

#9 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:08 PM

Test Video - Click Here

#10 flaps15

flaps15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:11 PM

:lol: Damned Newbies! :lol:

#11 smelly weasel

smelly weasel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:12 PM

hey clean- see if you can get some vid of the Farr11 or what ever they are calling that thing

#12 Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:27 PM

I'm sportin' the big red A today.

Did someone finally get you that ASSHOLE shirt you have been looking for ?? :P :lol:

Have fun out there and looking forward to your posts.

Be sure to post if you see anything IRC racey from Mills, Ker, Farr, etc. Doubting they will have anything there, but you never know.

Later
MS

#13 She'sHappyShe'sJolly...

She'sHappyShe'sJolly...

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:43 PM

and keep an eye out on the severn river- tomorrow and sunday, there will be a hundred female college sailors around for the Navy Fall Women's intersectional... a 420 division, an fj division, and a radial division. lots of girls and lots of good sailing.

#14 All About the Ride

All About the Ride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:offshore course and distance racing, fast boats and Sunbeam Tigers

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:50 PM

I was at the show yesterday....it was very impressive. I was in town on business and decided to take time off and see the show. There is nothing wrong with strolling down the dock with a beer, looking at boats and smelling crab cakes cooking.

Boats....

the new Farr was definately a speed machine

finally got to see a SB3.....very cool concept and should be a blast by the videos from England

Rocket 22...there is nothing wrong with simplicity and speed plus a built in cooler

Crosscurrents 33......I dated a girl that looked like that once, it got to be annoying...real pretty but very fussy...maybe it's just the metalic paint...

Swan 42.....the right combination of comfort and speed......she looks fast and stiff

modern daysailers with classic lines......it's good to have choices in manufacturer and it's nice to be fast and pretty

I'm not a multihull guy but the Gunboat gets my vote for good design and straighforward use of form and space....some of those other multihulls look like tupperware containers that have been in the sun too long...

So anyway, I'm back in Michigan....I read brochures on the plane all the way home.....

#15 echo

echo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts
  • Interests:sailing, cycling and watching my kids grow

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:31 PM

Hate to ask but I REALLY need a picture of the 36.7 bow puplit from staight on. I'm having an issue with Beneteau so I need some proof of the nav. light placement.

#16 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:56 PM

Hate to ask but I REALLY need a picture of the 36.7 bow puplit from staight on. I'm having an issue with Beneteau so I need some proof of the nav. light placement.

I'll get a picture for you either later today or tomorrow.

#17 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:30 PM

pictures...

Attached Files

#18 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:36 PM

Mer's pics are of the Gunboat, which is just about the hottest boat I've ever seen. It kind of reminds me of the road-legal Porsche GT3. It almost looks out of place without big sponsor stickers. Also she shot Arabella, which is up here looking for charter and school customers, maybe asking for donations as well.

I'm just putting some video up now. Our slacker ways mean that we'll have to get you a lot more good stuff tomorrow, including a ride on the SB3 and Esse 8.50, a video tour of the Gunboat, and whatever else tickles our fancy.

#19 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:42 PM

Farr 11S leaves the dock.

Attached Files

#20 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:44 PM

Farr is going kite up as they practice, just in front of us... great looking with the big sail up.

The video is of the ultimate Buffet wannabe.

Attached Files

#21 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:59 PM

New Laser Vago puts up chute sideways. Always good for a laugh.

Attached Files

#22 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:01 PM

Farr 11 S on one of her first-ever kite runs.

Attached Files

#23 smelly weasel

smelly weasel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:50 PM

thanks, now if I can figure out how the hell to play an Mp4 from quick time.....

orrrr the URL info is not correct

#24 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:59 PM

Pictures of the Farr 11s on the water...

Attached Files

#25 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:00 PM

thanks, now if I can figure out how the hell to play an Mp4 from quick time.....

orrrr the URL info is not correct

Use windows media player

#26 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:46 PM

Use windows media player

I can't finger it out either

#27 Doug B

Doug B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:03 PM

I can't finger it out either

I can not get it to work either.....

Lol...the fact the Farr 11m is moving at all in that wind is amazing. Very cool boat!

Geez....we make an effort to get extra Esse 850s to the show for test sails and there is no wind.......

Every single show I have ever done it is cold as hell and raining.....every year I miss....It is warm......

#28 raff367

raff367

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 12:43 AM

The movies don't seem to play if you simply click on the link, but if you save them locally and rename them (the default name is index.php, that I suspect is the reason why they don't play. Just rename it to something.mp4) they play just fine in QuickTime.

#29 oregonsailor

oregonsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Sailing<br />Golf<br />Alpine Skiing<br />Biking<br />Cars (1998 540i 6spd)

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:51 AM

I use the browser Firefox (nix IE) It automatically saved the files and then they could be launched/viewed.

Like many I have found Firefox and Thunderbird (email) by Mozilla to be better products. If interested <http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/>
<_<

#30 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 01:04 PM

Severn Sailing Association Dinghies drift around.
Bob Perry/Ben Souquet's whacked out container boat
Someone was looking for the bow pulpit of the 36.7?

Attached Files

#31 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 01:24 PM

There's sweet fuck all wind out there. Maybe staying around here another day wasn't the best idea after all. We've got a solid 8 hours to fuck around at the docks, then off to Charleston. I guess our goal is to find some funny stuff and get it on video.

Feel free to ask questions and we'll try to get them answered, otherwise, we'll be down checking it all out.

#32 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 02:09 PM

Miahmouse and I will be down there today, Sporting the Orange FU shirt. Stop me if u see me. Where's the party tonight?

#33 Inattentive Observer

Inattentive Observer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:15 PM

Miahmouse and I will be down there today, Sporting the Orange FU shirt. Stop me if u see me. Where's the party tonight?

I'll look for ya - big round buzzcut Irish-looking guy wearing blue/white sort-of Hawaiian shirt, jeans, battered ballcap, sneakers...

#34 sailflat

sailflat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • Interests:Interested in skiing.
    But not interested in Curling.
    Although Curling was not as bad as I thought.
    Why is it called Curling ? But I digress.
    Interested in pithy and provocative post on Sailing Anarchy.
    Disinterested in Birthdays.
    Who tells the truth about their age on the interweb anyway?
    No interest in reading about other people's interests every time they make a post.
    Gardening.
    A good book is interesting.
    I think the Kindle loses something.
    Interested in boats that people race.
    I doubt anyone has any interest in my multihull racing.
    New found interest in horseback riding, playing Polo to be specific.

Posted 06 October 2007 - 06:17 PM

Clean
If you get a chance go have a look at the seawind 1000. On H dock around the corner from the gunboat and down a bit. Its a crising cat that is very different and has some legs.

#35 John D

John D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:39 PM

Clean, your beer statred to get warm so I drank it. Should I put another on for you. Look for the SA flag at booth 37
John & Mark

#36 jimbot

jimbot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 03:15 AM

Posted Image

Someone help me out here. Too short to be a mast, too far outboard to be a keel. Is a daggerboard?

#37 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:39 AM

Well, that was pretty cool. Mer and Kuma are sleeping in the back right now, while we head down 95 toward our new place in Charleston. She drove the first tank and let me catch up on a little sleep, after 2 and a half days of roaming around the show, I was dead tired. The truck looks like some Sanford and Son shit with a boxspring and mattress trucker-hitched to the roof. It travelled a lot better on the cockpit of a melges 24.
n all that time at the show, we still weren't able to hook up with you all,

#38 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:52 AM

We did get to talk to shitloads of anarchists, and see a few new interesting things, which we'll be writing up and posting here. We also did short video interviews, which will also go here later today.

Instead of writing a proper report for the front page, I think we'll try to make this thread the actual report- that way, we can post all the photos that Mer took, and I don't have to waste a bunch of time writing things I'm already putting here.

#39 Melcryptovestimentaphiliac

Melcryptovestimentaphiliac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:53 AM

Nice to put a face to the name Clean.

See ya soon.

#40 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:00 PM

I think that the two most impressive things at the show for us were the viper 640 and the Gunboat. We took the viper out for a spin in 8 or 10 knots, and just loved it. Vanguard's guys had the SB3 out at the same time, and the video we shot of blasting through their bad air and rolling over them to windward was hilarious, especially when they realized we were screwing with them and inandvisably tried to hang with us. It was even funnier downwind.

#41 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:12 PM

The Gunboat is easily the most impressive yacht that I've seen in a long time, if not ever. It's hard to describe just how hot this thing is, so I'm glad that Mer got such good pics and video. Peter Johnstone is an unabashed Anarchist, and his no-compromises approach to the ultimate cruising cat has yielded gorgeous results.

More to come when we get home.

#42 Lazy Guy

Lazy Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 02:16 PM

Posted Image

Someone help me out here. Too short to be a mast, too far outboard to be a keel. Is a daggerboard?

I believe that is what is known as a trade-show display....

#43 electric slider

electric slider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 02:47 PM

well we almost made the boat show yesterday.........got to Pussers and the rest is history. couldn't get enough of Carib Mon playing his carbon guitar. Aslo met uncle Ippy

maybe we will get in today and bring carlwasher with us

#44 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,074 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 07 October 2007 - 02:59 PM

I believe that is what is known as a trade-show display....

Uh... no. that's a daggerboard on the Farr 11. Kinda like a Volvo 70.

#45 Inattentive Observer

Inattentive Observer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:54 PM

The Gunboat is easily the most impressive yacht that I've seen in a long time, if not ever. It's hard to describe just how hot this thing is, so I'm glad that Mer got such good pics and video. Peter Johnstone is an unabashed Anarchist, and his no-compromises approach to the ultimate cruising cat has yielded gorgeous results.

More to come when we get home.

Hammer is most definitely sierra hotel, IMHO.

Between the show, EYC and the Latts and Atts party [briefly] I somehow managed not to knowingly cross paths with any fellow Anarchists... apologies to all if I was just too obtuse or inattentive; i was looking forward to putting names to faces.

#46 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:06 AM

Hammer is most definitely sierra hotel, IMHO.

Between the show, EYC and the Latts and Atts party [briefly] I somehow managed not to knowingly cross paths with any fellow Anarchists... apologies to all if I was just too obtuse or inattentive; i was looking forward to putting names to faces.

I must have ran into 60 or so, and that was without really looking - but then again, I was wearing my Anarchy shirt on Saturday, and with the sweat pouring off my head, the gleam from my pate was fairly easily recognizable.

I thought the show was damned good as sailboat shows go. I'm going to write up a little piece of what we saw, but most of the actual report will go in here over the next 24 hours or so. If you saw something interesting, say your piece.

#47 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:10 AM

Please stop by booth 37 (Johannsen Boats Works) for a beer and to see some cool dinghys! If you see the open 5.70 let us know
Thanks .......JD

Sorry to have missed you, JD. Next time, hopefully.

#48 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:11 AM

Time to switch logins. Oops.

#49 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:46 AM

Saw you guys on the Gunboat but you were busy recording the Johnstone interview and I didn't want to make people wait to see that thing. It was pretty cool, not my style but pretty over the top. Lucky for me it lives down here in the southern bay so I can hopefully dig up a ride. Ran into Sailflat and jrptlag, good to get some faces with names.

Hung out on the Viper for a while, it seemed pretty cool and definitely sporty. it was a way better boat than the SB3 for the money, Just needs to get some more boats out there.

The CrossCurrent 33 was possibly one of the sexiest boats I've ever seen in my life, the fit and finish were perfect. Pricepoint sux. The thing has a carbon flagpole for god's sake

The 11S was nowhere to be found on sat and sun so I missed it, but heard she got smoked by "The slow Farr 40 from Annapolis" (somebody else said that) 8 mins boat for boat. The idea is cool but are we really canting around the buoys now? Just seems like too much for 1 mile legs and stuff. To each their own though

Sorry Ed, The FT10 still looks like a floating Japanese econobox with that cabin top

REALLY liked the Rocket 22, as far as deck planning and roominess it seemed very well though out and usable for more than just OD stuff, a big plus here in the bay.

The First 50 could get you laid faster than a round of Jager bombs at a wedding reception. Women seemed to drool around that thing all day.

Rich from Maui Jim is cool

I think I paid Pusser's rent for the month

Sailtime made up for renting Hunter's by giving me all the free Red Stripe I could handle HOORAAAAYY BEER!!!!!!

The boat bunny's were hot as hell but all seemed to be a little grumpy. Standing up too long I guess. Still got some good pics

My head hurts, My feet stink and I don't love Jesus.

Was a good trip

#50 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:14 PM

I think that the two most impressive things at the show for us were the viper 640 and the Gunboat. We took the viper out for a spin in 8 or 10 knots, and just loved it. Vanguard's guys had the SB3 out at the same time, and the video we shot of blasting through their bad air and rolling over them to windward was hilarious, especially when they realized we were screwing with them and inandvisably tried to hang with us. It was even funnier downwind.

I will admit that the Gunboat is awesome boat porn as we wandered by it...however, I did not wait in line to get on it. Besides, I had to pee and needed another beer.

Secondly, I went to the boat show with the specific purpose to check out the Laser SB3, and was also blown away by the Viper 640!!!!. I spent about 35 seconds checking out the SB3 and listening to some (probably an APS employee) guy try to sell it to some dude with no clue for a boat show 'special' of $36,500!! and was completely unimpressed, but I was ready to sell my wife to Justin and take a 640 home, after we'd bullshitted at the dock for 10-15 minutes. Cool dude!

It was also nice chatting with the Rocket guys and the APY guys too. Hodorsail & DancingBear were entertaining as always, and the A30 stuff still looks to be impressive when it gets here. I was impressed (as someone mentioned above) with the simplicity and layout of the Rocket 22. No winches and everything is clean and well routed. I also heard from the Rocket guys they've gotten rid of the spinny pole and symmetric kite, and now use the prod and assy exclusively. Nothing like removing a sail (and associated hardware) from the inventory to keep costs down and the simplicity factor up! Nice. B)

Sorry we missed you Clean, I was on the lookout for you, but you were probably over at the Gunboat or at that end of the dock where most of us anarchists could never afford to live.

#51 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:27 AM

Was at the show today.......

Saw (at a distance, thankfully) the Odin 820 - it was next to the Mac26M, and similar concept - but much faster since it had a 75HP motor.

Looked at the usual assortment of ~40 ft cruiser-racers that I can't afford.

Checked out the Viper 640, and looked at the SB3. If I was in the market for this type of boat, I'd be sailing a Viper.

Dragonfly 35 was very nice. Was onboard when Peter Johnstone came on - he seems to like it rather well.

#52 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:17 AM

Quick question: Would you all rather watch videos as attached files (like those above) or open them in Youtube in a new window?

#53 apexchaser

apexchaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:08 AM

Quick question: Would you all rather watch videos as attached files (like those above) or open them in Youtube in a new window?

How 'bout BOTH? :P

Youtube for instant gratification but lower quality, and then attached files for higher-res/lower compression?

On second thought... scratch that. Whatever gets them online faster!

#54 BarePoles

BarePoles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Interests:sailing, architecture, running, Texans

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:08 AM

I have had trouble watching the vids in this thread, but managed to watch Ed's vid from the front page. So whatever you do hopefully I can watch them. Maybe both and Youtube for backup viewing.

Good work out there.

#55 apexchaser

apexchaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:36 PM

Hey Clean:

Real nice write-up on the front page.

Now let's see some video and pics! I especially want to see the video from your test sail of the Viper vs. the SB3.

Thx,
F.

#56 witch cat

witch cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:37 PM

Clean,

You waxed eloquent about the Rocket 22's 'cabin'. Just how much of a cabin are we talking about here? Is there sitting headroom? How would you compare it with a J/24 below? Or is it basically a dinghy with a keel?

#57 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:06 PM

Clean,

You waxed eloquent about the Rocket 22's 'cabin'. Just how much of a cabin are we talking about here? Is there sitting headroom? How would you compare it with a J/24 below? Or is it basically a dinghy with a keel?

There's a great big open V-berth down below - well, great big for a sportboat. A V-berth mattress is one of the purchase options. You could comfortably sort of sit down there and, for instance, play chess with a friend, without being in her lap.

#58 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:22 PM

Secondly, I went to the boat show with the specific purpose to check out the Laser SB3, and was also blown away by the Viper 640!!!!. I was ready to sell my wife to Justin and take a 640 home,after we'd bullshitted at the dock for 10-15 minutes.

How much are we talking about here? Is there a lease option?

FYI.......Clean's front page write up of 20' sportsboats mentioned numbers of Vipers. For the sake of accuracy ( he was helming while we were talking and he seemed to lose interest in the details of the conversation everytime we popped onto a plane)...... There are 18 Vipers in the Marblehead fleet (up from 6 boats, 2 seasons ago). There are 71 Vipers currently in the US. We are setting ourselves the target of a 25 boat regatta, somewhere in the US within the next 12 months and while I wouldn't be surprised if we get a 30 boat start line......thats still in the future. Seventy One includes the boat at the show which was sold to Mike in Naptown but excludes any that were sold in the show. (and there was at least one person who pulled out the check book on me and plunked down a 30% deposit there and then, while everyone else was at the Pussers bar)

#59 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:19 PM

How much are we talking about here? Is there a lease option?

FYI.......Clean's front page write up of 20' sportsboats mentioned numbers of Vipers. For the sake of accuracy ( he was helming while we were talking and he seemed to lose interest in the details of the conversation everytime we popped onto a plane)...... There are 18 Vipers in the Marblehead fleet (up from 6 boats, 2 seasons ago). There are 71 Vipers currently in the US. We are setting ourselves the target of a 25 boat regatta, somewhere in the US within the next 12 months and while I wouldn't be surprised if we get a 30 boat start line......thats still in the future. Seventy One includes the boat at the show which was sold to Mike in Naptown but excludes any that were sold in the show. (and there was at least one person who pulled out the check book on me and plunked down a 30% deposit there and then, while everyone else was at the Pussers bar)

Sorry about the inaccuracy, Justin. Meanwhile, why is it that I have to find out today that you've been twin-wiring these things?? Thanks again for a great ride. Videos uploading now...

#60 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:21 PM

Short Tour of the Farr 11-S

#61 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:23 PM

Short Tour of Eastport YC From the Deck

#62 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:24 PM

Laser Bahia Puts Kite Up Sideways

This may be a repeat of one of the vids above. Sorry.

#63 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:28 PM

Farr 11S - In the Harbor

#64 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:30 PM

This isn't from Annapolis, but you owe it to yourselves to check it out anyway.

Hot Melges Action

#65 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:28 PM

Thoughts, impressions and gossip from an amateur exhibitor at the Naptown Boat Show:-

Battle of the 20' Sportsboats
Its all good.
This category will act as a much needed "shot in the arm" for sailboat racing in the US. Some have mentioned the growth of the Viper fleet in Marblehead. I should add that the growth of this fleet has NOT come from cannabalizing the existing One Design fleets. All of the new owners and most of the crew were reasonably good sailors living in the Boston area who for one reason or another were not racing. The Viper brought them back. Including skippers and crew, this 20 sports boat has added 70 new participants/members to MRA, our local One Design racing organization. The whole one design scene benefits from this.

There will be more than one succesful class in this category. The niche is not only broad enough to accomodate more than one class......it NEEDS more than one boat. There is a wide range of requirements. Lightweight construction and assymetrical chutes were first embraced by high performance racers........but light loads and easy to handle spinnakers are going to appeal to novices, intermediates and families as well.

The Sailboat Industry
This was vacation time for me. I had a ball. Most of the exhibitors were there to make a living. They were having a ball as well. This is a group of people who include "quality of life" as one of their career criteria and it self selects a great bunch to hang out with. Competitors, customers and suppliers.....as the show winds down in the evening, exhibitors and industry heads wander over to each others stands. Naptown is both a social and business gathering.

We went to the Sail magazine party where they announced the "Sailing Industry Person of the Year" award. It was won by the marketing director of Hunter Boats. Now, I have never had any urge at all to own anything made by Hunter. But this happy guy stood up, full of bonhomie and spoke about how good the industry had been to him and his company. He radiated a passion for sailing and a passion for building affordable cruising boats and anyone who does something they love is alright in my book.

The Crosscurrent 33
So beautiful.

The Melges 20
I am a Melges fan. This is a company that only builds boats they would like to own and race themselves.I had a good chat with the Melges guys. I listened in to a conversation with European supplier.
My impression is that The "Twenty" is still barely a concept.
I don't think the "Coming soon to a regatta near you" is smart marketing. It will inevitably get stale. I think they would be better off announcing that they are going to enter the 20' niche, they are at the preliminary design stage and invite input. I don't buy the "We were burnt by imitators of the Melges 24" argument .

The Melges 32
Love it

The English invasion?
I spotted 2 prominent Brit visitors at the show.
Ovington Boats.......They came over to look around and see if there was an interesting US boat that they could build for the European market. IMHO, Ovington is up there with Rondar, Melges etc. but not many in the US know them. The boys from Tanners Bank in Tynemouth build the 49er, 29er, 18 ft skiff, flying fiften, Musto skiff, Mumm 30 in Europe. Rocket 22 in Europe anyone??
RS Boats. Martin Wadham, CEO from RS was here. Purely as a visitor. Purely to look around. Others have commented in other threads that RS has a great dinghy range in Europe and that it would be great to have them over here. I asked and got an enigmatic smile as an answer.

The Cruising Cats
So many. This is a huge segment now. The Gunboat is the high end boat porn.....but no doors between the 2 guest rooms will cramp sex life in the port hull. Corsair are going to bring out a Performance cruising Cat at 50 foot. I looked at the drawings. This will be very interesting. Corsair's smaller boats have mantained an emphasis on performance. Will this be something more performance orientated that most of the big cats but less all carbon-all expense than the Gunboat?

The big ugly cruising cat/hotel behind us with 2 jacuzzis on deck ? $4.2m!

Esse 850
Anarchists selling a cool alternative way to combine, classy day sailing , PHRF and higher end OD. Its been here for a while, but this was my first up close look at it.

Rocket 22
Its got to be one of our favorite small boats with a lid. With the used prices of U20's as high as they are(and still not in production again). This boat with carbon rig and really high quality construction has to be an alternative. It is certainly a modern alternative to the J24.

More Racing Dinghies
There were some dinghies there (Vanguard and the Flying Scot)....... but mostly this is the "Annapolis keelboat and Yacht show". More dinghies please.

#66 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:59 PM

Meanwhile, why is it that I have to find out today that you've been twin-wiring these things?? Thanks again for a great ride.

Try the forums on a website called Sailing Anarchy to stay current.
Its a few guys who have put wires on for a couple of Wednesday evenings to see how it works......."Wired Wednesdays". The mainstream and the One Design racing is strictly feet in the hiking straps only.
The Viper may be able to broaden its appeal by going in 2 directions simultaneouly.
1. The club spinnaker. Similar to the Laser Radial concept which created a depowered version of the Laser. An easy, entry level small spinnaker.
2. Wired Wednesdays. Mainstream racing will always be a crew of three with hiking. For those looking to raise the thrill levels, the Viper could be an amazingly stable and easy platform for someone to get out on a trapeze.
We'll see how it goes. The great thing about this class is that the sailors and the class are in control. We can try stuff, get feedback and then give direction to sailmakers and builder.

#67 ARNOLD

ARNOLD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:57 PM

640, you got my vote to give us the heads up on the show next year ;)
......................much better than a hangover report :(

#68 Wess

Wess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:01 PM

Short Tour of Eastport YC From the Deck

"Ton of dinghies at Eastport."

Huh? :blink:

That was SSA you were looking at (shooting video of). :lol:

#69 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:04 PM

"Ton of dinghies at Eastport."

Huh? :blink:

That was SSA you were looking at (shooting video of). :lol:

Yep, figured that one out later when we launched the viper at SSA. What an awesome fucking place SSA is!

#70 PressureDrop

PressureDrop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:15 AM

Yep, figured that one out later when we launched the viper at SSA. What an awesome fucking place SSA is!

Yes it is, and everyone should know that! I am just another proud SSA member. But seriously, great coverage and great article about the small sportboat segment at the show. I came to the same conclusion about the Viper being the best one of the lot, and I am very excited to sail one someday. I was even more excited to hear that there are several in the Annapolis area.

This brings me to my next point of wanting to start a Viper class at SSA. I do not have the money right now to buy one, but if I did, I most assuredly would. There would need to be enough boats to gain/sustain fleet status, and they might have to wait a year or two to do so, but if so the effects would be great. Currently the most modern/recently designed boat would be the Johnson 18. Unfortunately there is no fleet nationally and there are only several at SSA. A more modern, and much faster boat would serve to increase interest greatly and could garner new interest from young sailors looking to sail a fast/fun/affordable boat with few crew. I think what the Class and Rondar are doing is great and wish them all the best in building many new fleets, with one hopefully at SSA. If there is anything I can do to help in the Annapolis area, don't hesitate to ask, I would love to be of assistance.

PressureDrop

#71 3940

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:46 PM

Did I missed the Viper 640 test drive video or is it yet to be posted?

#72 flyingdog

flyingdog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:52 PM

Click on one of the other youtube links and search under posts by this user and you will find it.

Click on one of the other youtube links and search under posts by this user and you will find it

#73 letitroll

letitroll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:22 PM

Click on one of the other youtube links and search under posts by this user and you will find it.

Thanks I found it!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3kpxEXZ1fWg

#74 aslongastheyreallthesame

aslongastheyreallthesame

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:20 AM

640, what is the status of using a GNAV system on Vipers?
Class assocation website has pics of installation. It looks like the Viper that Clean sailed has a conventional vang.
What's the story?
Thanks,
Jon

#75 flyingdog

flyingdog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:43 PM

640, what is the status of using a GNAV system on Vipers?
Class assocation website has pics of installation. It looks like the Viper that Clean sailed has a conventional vang.
What's the story?
Thanks,
Jon

The demo boat was an older viper. New Rondar vipers come with the gnav. Older vipers can be retrofitted to the gnav with the purchase of the carbon stick...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users