MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:30 AM

Canada's Cup Winner to be Decided Monday

TORONTO, October 14, 2007 - Defending team Honour retained their one-point lead today after four long races in this nail-biting match racing championship on Lake Ontario. The one-point difference between the Defender and challenging skipper Bob Hughes is eerily reminiscent of scores going into the final days of the last two Canada's Cup Championships. In both 2001 and 2003, Hughes and his Heartbreaker team lost on the final racing day to seasoned Farr 40 teams from the Royal Canadian Yacht Club. Tomorrow, the challenging team from Macatawa Bay, Michigan will try to break free from their final-day curse, and bring Canada's Cup home with them to Lake Michigan.

MORE

#2 Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:56 AM

Nice release Clean. I kept thinking you should have been more objective in your coverage (your homerness shines through occasionally).

Then I saw this -
TEAM HEARTBREAKER PRESS OFFICER
Alan Block

It makes more sense now.

Carry on
MS

#3 Helm Hog

Helm Hog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Driving the Bus! :)

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:16 PM

Forecast for Monday:

Temp - high of 15C this afternoon, Wind- W 3kts. Oh NO!!!!

It's going to be a floater..if it's even going to be...

#4 polarbear

polarbear

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:50 PM

Many thanks to Clean, IONEARTH guys and all others for the coverage. What would
be great next time around would be a live audio broadcast (with a 5 sec. delay to
let the censors deal with Clean's language... ;) ). Seriously though, I enjoyed the
vids of the starts and the commentary (should hire the guy who was on the protector
as Clean's sidekick).

#5 Barkley

Barkley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:56 PM

Ouch.

Here's hoping they're wrong.

#6 Chuck L

Chuck L

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:58 PM

Forecast for Monday:

Temp - high of 15C this afternoon, Wind- W 3kts. Oh NO!!!!

It's going to be a floater..if it's even going to be...

Accuweather is calling for WSW winds around 14 km/h, 9 degrees (that's in the mid-50's, 9 mph or, what, 8 knots?)

#7 Chuck L

Chuck L

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:02 PM

Accuweather is calling for WSW winds around 14 km/h, 9 degrees (that's in the mid-50's, 9 mph or, what, 8 knots?)

But it looks like they're a lone voice.

(Who forgot to pack the 'easy' button?)

#8 Tax Man

Tax Man

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:02 PM

I just dug through three forecasts, none suggested enough wind to race in.

#9 Chuck L

Chuck L

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:09 PM

I guess I'll get some work done today. Too bad.

#10 usa1234

usa1234

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:16 PM

(should hire the guy who was on the protector
as Clean's sidekick).

I totally agree....

#11 Sandstone

Sandstone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:43 PM

Looks like Saturday would have been the day to race for both boats.

#12 Bowgirl

Bowgirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,481 posts
  • Interests:Heineken HPDO, Tempest sailing, tending orchids

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:47 PM

I looked out the window and saw a line of smog (that wonderful yellow/brown line across the horizon) ... that means no wind-flow in the immediate vicinity.

Will they take this in to tomorrow? What's protocol in a situation like this?

#13 Chuck L

Chuck L

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:54 PM

From the SIs:

8.2, B) However, if neither boat has 5 points at the completion of racing on October 15, 2007, the boat with the most points on that date shall be the winner of the Match Race Series, provided that such boat has a minimum of 3 points.

I'd hate to see it decided like this. At the very least, I think there will be (more) grumbling about Saturday as a result.

(I can't get rid of that damn smiley -- it's section b.)

#14 SparxFly

SparxFly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:54 PM

The rules state that the racing is over as of Monday. If 9 races have not been sailed then the leader takes it, so long as 3 [races have been sailed.] that boat has 3 points.

Personally, I hope they sail today, and let the cards fall where they may... Go Honour!

Umm, Edit - What Chuck said <g>

#15 psyklik

psyklik

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:55 PM

Clean,

Where's the pics of Meredith Block?

psyklik

#16 Sandstone

Sandstone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:59 PM

From the SIs:

At the very least, I think there will be (more) grumbling about Saturday as a result.

Of course there will be. I have debated posting something about Saturday's debacle, but have thus far refrained.

#17 Chuck L

Chuck L

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:00 PM

The rules state that the racing is over as of Monday. If 9 races have not been sailed then the leader takes it, so long as 3 [races have been sailed.] that boat has 3 points.

Personally, I hope they sail today, and let the cards fall where they may... Go Honour!

Umm, Edit - What Chuck said <g>

Will there be less grumbling if it's a drift-off today? There were some holes on Friday, but today it'll be all about who flukes into a little pressure.

(Why is the CC so late in the season anyhow? Fodder for a separate thread?)

#18 J Buoy

J Buoy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:05 PM

We know that this isn't the reason it's so late, but you've got a better chance of breeze here this time of year than in the summer so I'd not suggest that timing is the issue. As for Saturday I cannot comment from my armchair but it did seem that the conditions were above their prescribed limit all day.....weren't they? Who knows, but it's always preferrable to win or lose on the water.

#19 Sandstone

Sandstone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:08 PM

As for Saturday I cannot comment from my armchair but it did seem that the conditions were above their prescribed limit all day.....weren't they? Who knows, but it's always preferrable to win or lose on the water.

Wind limits were not exceeded until 2 PM, or shortly before.

#20 Chuck L

Chuck L

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:19 PM

We know that this isn't the reason it's so late, but you've got a better chance of breeze here this time of year than in the summer so I'd not suggest that timing is the issue. As for Saturday I cannot comment from my armchair but it did seem that the conditions were above their prescribed limit all day.....weren't they? Who knows, but it's always preferrable to win or lose on the water.

Oh no, I didn't mean to blame timing for the conditions Saturday and today. Summer is worse -- I've bobbed around off EYC in August, I know what you mean. I was thinking late September, but I don't know the details of what and why it's in mid-October. There are probably valid reasons.

They might have got one off late Saturday (SF shows the western LO buoy and YYZ below 20 kts), but by the time they would have seen it easing it would have been too late to get out and start.

Wind limits were not exceeded until 2 PM

Sandstone, I'm looking at buoy and airport data -- it looks to me like it was still blowing hard Saturday morning (while the 4200 was setting).

Clean was there -- were they in no hurry because they knew the wind was blowing too hard (in excess of 22 kts sustained)? (I think you said that they were all wanting to go...)

(And I'm going on remote data too -- I was sitting here watching it rain all day.)

#21 dprobable

dprobable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:21 PM

If you whingers just go on the net you can find out who Ellison's lawyers are and then....

#22 Impact

Impact

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:sailing... no really.

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:21 PM

http://www.weatherne...ather/caon1761/

-weather from Toronto island. Very light westerly at 10am. Forecast for calm afternoon.

Unfortunate if it has to end this way after such a dramatic finish in the last race yesterday. That is yacht racing though...

#23 dprobable

dprobable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:24 PM

http://www.weatherne...ather/caon1761/

-weather from Toronto island. Very light westerly at 10am. Forecast for calm afternoon.

Unfortunate if it has to end this way after such a dramatic finish in the last race yesterday. That is yacht racing though...

the 'dramatic finish' yesterday makes an adequate finish overall..........toute fini mes amis.

#24 Sandstone

Sandstone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:25 PM

If you whingers just go on the net you can find out who Ellison's lawyers are and then....

Fuck off Newb. Ok, fine. Before I have to go to a meeting, I will say that if I was in the middle of a major championship, the very last thing I would do is wait until mid morning the following day before a race to investigate a potential and VERY critical performance and/or safety problem. That in instelf should lend itself to suspicion. If I were on the jury I would have asked H when they first knew there could be a problem (by their own admission it was the previous day), why did they fail to investigate the matter as to not cause a delay, is the repair needed critical to safety or just performance?

#25 dprobable

dprobable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:28 PM

Fuck off Newb

i visited holland michigan once.........seemed like nice decent people with a bit of vocabulary.....are you an immigrant there?

#26 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:31 PM

I would be very curious to find out why they set the max wind limit at 22 which is less than most RCs which is usually 25. Either way, these boats can, will and should be sailing fine at over that wind speed - as they did in the 2000 Farr 40 Worlds in Newport.

Would also be really interesting to find out who's in the International Judge's panel and where they are from. Can anyone find out and post?

#27 Chuck L

Chuck L

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:33 PM

NOBODY wants to see it end this way. We're looking for a ray of hope (i.e., a breath of wind), that's all.

#28 Chuck L

Chuck L

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:39 PM

Fuck off Newb. Ok, fine. Before I have to go to a meeting, I will say that if I was in the middle of a major championship, the very last thing I would do is wait until mid morning the following day before a race to investigate a potential and VERY critical performance problem.

i visited holland michigan once.........seemed like nice decent people with a bit of vocabulary.....are you an immigrant there?

Children, children...

Sure, they should have seen it earlier. They didn't. That one's been beaten to death.

It [the rudder bearing issue] was poorly managed, [but] there's no real question of conspiracy, is there? I mean that's giving people a lot of credit [for brains], I think.

Better question -- how to fix these things next time? Increase the threshold to 25 kts? Be firmer on the time limits? Give the RC flexibility to promote the best racing possible? [What else needs to be addressed in the next match?] Let's start THAT topic instead.

[AND they just may race today after all.]

#29 oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:39 PM

It kinda looks like they may be getting ready to race. IonEarth shows some activity...

Anyone know more?

#30 Lamps

Lamps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:42 PM

I looked out the window and saw a line of smog (that wonderful yellow/brown line across the horizon) ... that means no wind-flow in the immediate vicinity.

Will they take this in to tomorrow? What's protocol in a situation like this?

looking out the window right now across toronto island and out to the lake, light rain, maybe a couple knots of breeze blowing from the north

#31 LateNite

LateNite

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:42 PM

On IonEarth, It looks like a starting line has been set and the boats are moving at 6 knots. If under sail, that implies there is a reasonable breeze out there.

#32 polarbear

polarbear

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:43 PM

Given the circumstances on Saturday, I think the Gentlemen from RCYC should offer
to race on Tuesday (nice wind in the forecast). I don't know if this would work given
everybody's schedules or whether you can do this within the rules, but it would be
a very nice thing to do...

#33 in_TO

in_TO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:45 PM

I would be very curious to find out why they set the max wind limit at 22 which is less than most RCs which is usually 25. Either way, these boats can, will and should be sailing fine at over that wind speed - as they did in the 2000 Farr 40 Worlds in Newport.

No doubt Farr 40s can race in wind speeds over 25 knots, but that was not really the issue. Milner's call on the radio to abandon said it all (and I'm paraphrasing here): "these conditions are not suitable for match racing." (Emphasis mine.)

#34 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:48 PM

Welcome race fans. There IS breeze. Not much, but it looks like 6 or 7 where I'm standing on the bridge of Fred Sherragg's gorgeous Tiara Express 40. I love to be a pimp.

Both competitors are sailing along, and we're optimistic that we'll have a start.

#35 Lamps

Lamps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:50 PM

On IonEarth, It looks like a starting line has been set and the boats are moving at 6 knots. If under sail, that implies there is a reasonable breeze out there.

could be, hard to tell wind speed with the rain, and if they are out in the lake a bit they would have a little more air since breeze is offshore, at least here

a building blocks my view of half the lake, I can't see them

#36 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:51 PM

All of the buoys are finally working at IonEarth, and Russ has added some new features, so it should really work nicely today. RC just announced over the radio that it is their intention to go into a warning at 1100, 1.2 nm, 275 degrees.

Plenty of breeze out here, but definitely puffy and holey across the course.

#37 Chuck L

Chuck L

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:51 PM

looking out the window right now across toronto island and out to the lake, light rain, maybe a couple knots of breeze blowing from the north

It'll be a bad day on the TSX as all the brokers and bankers will be staring out their windows and updating IonEarth all day long!

#38 tronner

tronner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:52 PM

Welcome race fans. There IS breeze. Not much, but it looks like 6 or 7 where I'm standing on the bridge of Fred Sherragg's gorgeous Tiara Express 40. I love to be a pimp.

Both competitors are sailing along, and we're optimistic that we'll have a start.

It's nice to see Clean reporting from one of our fine products.

#39 Bowgirl

Bowgirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,481 posts
  • Interests:Heineken HPDO, Tempest sailing, tending orchids

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:54 PM

I'm on the 23rd floor of the Toronto Star bldg > just looked out to see if I could see any motion either from boats or flags.

Flags are by no means "lively" although there are intermittent signs of life.

Didn't see the boats, but per Clean's message they're moving - they must be close to Centennial Pier and so hidden from my view. I think I can see 1 mark, vaguely. Looks like I'll be hanging out here for details.

Today will be a really tough day - who ever wins today will win on skill. Killer racing when there are only light winds with odd puffs to push you along. <sigh> Wish I was down there rather than up here!

G O H O N O U R !!!

#40 Slyguy

Slyguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:55 PM

It's nice to see Clean reporting from one of our fine products.

Taking alot of credit there arent ya? Arent you on the road yet?

#41 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

I'm privileged to be on this boat with Fred Eaton, Little America's Cup champion, as well as John Barbour from BYC, Canada's Cup committee chairman Dave Matheson, and other distinguished guests. They told me that the real reason they invited me to do the SA report from the Tiara was that they were going to throw me overboard for all the crap I've given to RCYC over the past 6 months. Good sports.

#42 Darwin

Darwin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Err...That would be Fred SherraTT Mr. Clean. BTW, It is easy to turn a T to a G whilst typing on a QWERTY board. Just seggint the record straithg

#43 Slyguy

Slyguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:58 PM

I'm privileged to be on this boat with Fred Eaton, Little America's Cup champion, as well as John Barbour from BYC, Canada's Cup committee chairman Dave Matheson, and other distinguished guests. They told me that the real reason they invited me to do the SA report from the Tiara was that they were going to throw me overboard for all the crap I've given to RCYC over the past 6 months. Good sports.

Anyone from MBYC on the Tiara?

#44 tronner

tronner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:08 PM

Taking alot of credit there arent ya? Arent you on the road yet?

Leaving at 11:30am. Keep me in the loop if you can. My blackberry isn't having much luck loading this forum.

#45 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:13 PM

That was a hell of a start by Honour! They are controlling right now. Start video is uploading.

Heartbreaker had the advantaged side on the pre-start, but got caught too far too windward and could not get down to Honour before H broke through to the right. Honour was windward and ahead at the start. Boat are split now. More in a sec.

#46 big chicken

big chicken

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • Interests:sailing, performance rally

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:17 PM

Tracking seems to show Honour with consistently better boatspeed. Both boats on starboard with Honour to weather. HB has tacked.

#47 mrgnstrn

mrgnstrn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:17 PM

Is it my computer, or do the "tracks" on the ionearth tracker shift around a bunch?
-M

#48 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:18 PM

Honour is looking awfully good here. They just tacked back from the left and are headed for a cross. Wind is lightening!

#49 LateNite

LateNite

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:20 PM

IonEarth is a little frustrating. It would appear they are truncating speeds rather than rounding. Therefore I see speeds jump from 5 to 6 or I will see HB at 5 and Honour at 6. My guess is really is HB at 5.9 and Honour at 6.1.

In these low wind speeds, that missing information means a lot.

I see the DD still is splitting tacks.

#50 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:20 PM

Heartbreaker crossed ahead! it is so shifty and light out here - this is where the better sailors will shine. HB crossed, then tacked on H, H tacked back, to split again.

#51 Chuck L

Chuck L

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:21 PM

Seems like Honour just got hosed by not tacking on top of HB.

#52 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Heartbreaker crossed ahead! it is so shifty and light out here - this is where the better sailors will shine. HB crossed, then tacked on H, H tacked back, to split again.

#53 big chicken

big chicken

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

HB in a big lift crosses ahead.

#54 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:24 PM

HB is controlling the right. Honour is sailing fatter and faster. Tacks are slow, deliberate - this is as close as it gets. HB just tacked back toward the middle. Another cross ahed. CLOSER.

#55 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:26 PM

Here they go again! Honour with a VERY slow tack...it looked like they had gained quite a bit, but the tack hurt them. Heartbreaker lets Honour go to the right!

#56 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:27 PM

Looks like that deeper main on HB might help them today. More power. Hope so.

#57 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

HB with a gorgeous leebow on H. H back to the right now. HB back with a lose cover. Another cross ahead!

#58 SparxFly

SparxFly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Is it my computer, or do the "tracks" on the ionearth tracker shift around a bunch?
-M

Yes, they do. They go in cycles based on each 20 second update. The issue has been already been identified. The fix might be a bit complicated to resolve in just 16 hours, most of those being when even programmers are supposed to be asleep.

Sparx

#59 big chicken

big chicken

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:29 PM

Hey, DD is covering every tack. Did someone give him a copy of "Speed and Smarts"?

#60 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:30 PM

Heartbreaker is sitting on top of Honour to the mark - this is some masterful control. HB is consistently higher, just as we've seen all weekend. Rounding ahead!

#61 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:30 PM

IonEarth is a little frustrating. It would appear they are truncating speeds rather than rounding. Therefore I see speeds jump from 5 to 6 or I will see HB at 5 and Honour at 6. My guess is really is HB at 5.9 and Honour at 6.1.

You are probably right. As mentioned yesterday, the system isn't showing the decimals on the speed. Some bug probably in the code that they didn't have time to get it fixed yet.

#62 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:31 PM

18 second delta to Heartbreaker at the mark. Both boats with a conventional set, headed to the right (looking upwind).

#63 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:34 PM

Start video is posted. Might have to wait five minutes for youtube processing.

http://www.youtube.com/v/QLHmywSGN7M

Heartbreaker has extended slightly, both boats on port tack still.

#64 etchellsman

etchellsman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:37 PM

Must be something weird with the display, as my system has consistently shown Honour ahead of HB! ??? After the rounding it showed the Blue triangle to the east of the Red triangle. Very confusing watching that and reading the description! But still cliff-hanger!

#65 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:39 PM

You are probably right. As mentioned yesterday, the system isn't showing the decimals on the speed. Some bug probably in the code that they didn't have time to get it fixed yet.

The problem isn't a bug - it's the firmware in the SRT units. Jerry came straight here from the west coast and then alaska with the Baja units, calibrated for 0 to 200 mph. Firmware fix is already done, to be used at the next sailing event. Tenths of a knot, just like the units used for the level 35's in TC.

Course change - 295. Leeward mark has been moved.

#66 etchellsman

etchellsman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:39 PM

OK more coffee required....my lysdexia must be acting up!

#67 7.9 sailor

7.9 sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts
  • Interests:7.9's, other OD, rigging, Great Lakes racing

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:40 PM

I just bit off my fingernail....

#68 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:43 PM

Must be something weird with the display, as my system has consistently shown Honour ahead of HB! ??? After the rounding it showed the Blue triangle to the east of the Red triangle. Very confusing watching that and reading the description! But still cliff-hanger!

Weird indeed. My tracker is showing pretty much exactly what we're seeing on the course, even down to the difference in headings between the two boats.

HB firmly in control as the boats gybe - not far from the mark.

#69 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:45 PM

HB is at the mark...Gorgeous drop for the boys from Michigan (and girl from annapolis).

#70 gangbusters

gangbusters

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:47 PM

how many legs are the sailing?

#71 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:47 PM

Delta is 55 seconds. HB looks damned good. They came to do bid'ness today.

Then again, 55 is nothing.

Honour tacked away, and..wonder of wonders...HB is covering!

#72 etchellsman

etchellsman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:50 PM

My bad....Blue hulled boat == blue triangle NOT!.....Just being confused trying to do six things at once....Damn telephone. Clients who want to *know* stuff... Stuff 'em for now!

#73 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:50 PM

Heartbreaker is getting a bit loose with the cover now - they are on the right, separated by 400 yards...and now they're back. Honour just slowed down quite a bit.

#74 big chicken

big chicken

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:54 PM

Four tacks in the first few hundred yards of the leg. Whose grinders are in shape?

#75 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:56 PM

Mer is getting me photos right now, will be loaded in a few minutes. To all the unregistered users, if you want to see the thumbnails rather than just file names, you have to register and login. It takes a few minutes, so do it now.

Thanks.

Breeze building a touch, it loos like. HB has Honour by the sack. HB just crossed well ahead, and is covering nicely.

#76 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:59 PM

The guy shooting pics for Honour is an amazing dude - he was the AP's white house correspondant back in the day, and is famous for getting the "shot seen round the world" when Gerald Ford fell down the stairs of Air Force 1. He also lived in Iran on a Canadian passport (but he's a yank) for the entire hostage crisis. He's been teaching my gorgeous photog a thing or two.

I've been trying to convince everyone on board that M-30s are the right boat for the CC, sailed as close to popular waterfronts as possible. I'm starting to annoy them.

#77 big chicken

big chicken

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:00 PM

Damn, it's lunchtime. I should have packed today. Running over to Taco Hell. Anybody need something?

#78 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:05 PM

The wind is light enough that the tacking isn't terrible. RC is moving the windward mark to 305, as they're approaching - legs are now 1.2 miles. three and a little legs to do.

As you may have heard me say in the start video (with no voice left), if HB wind this one, and the wind craps out, HB is the new champion. Tiebreaks are decided by the last race won.

That being said, the wind seems fine right now. Not a lot, but still 6 knots or so of breeze.

#79 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:05 PM

Damn, it's lunchtime. I should have packed today. Running over to Taco Hell. Anybody need something?

Sure... 1 Steak and Cheese delivered to Detroit, please. Make it 2 so I can hang for the afternoon.

#80 etchellsman

etchellsman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:07 PM

Before we get to the mark rounding, just a suggestion/something to look at.

My desktop normally runs its system time on UTC, with a TZ update to show local EDT on screen. If I try ionearth with that setup, it says, local time is noon and race time is 8:00 am. No marks, etc. NADA.
I have to push the system clock to noon to see the match display...so my little clock thingy shows that it is now 16:04. This is a linux box BTW. but that needs to be looked at...discrepancy between the clock that the ionearth system sees, and the local system clock. Looks like the TZ correction is backwards.
Go HONOUR

#81 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:08 PM

Dave just said that the current here is up to 2 knots at times, flowing directily from Niagara falls to here. Honour just rounded a minute behind HB, and nearly had to double-tack the mark again. Remember that Honour chose to sail with no wind instruments at all - no expedition, none of the bells and whistles. A brave call from Gavin Brady, but with three or four badly called laylines, maybe something to consider.

#82 7.9 sailor

7.9 sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts
  • Interests:7.9's, other OD, rigging, Great Lakes racing

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:08 PM

I'm good to go...

#83 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:17 PM

Some Race 8 Piccies from my Mer.

Attached Files

#84 etchellsman

etchellsman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:19 PM

What is the wind doing? It looks like it has backed to slightly south of where it was originally? And what is the strength?

Very quiet downwind leg. I expected more gybing from Honour..

#85 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:19 PM

Heartbreaker is about to round the new leeward mark - two more legs to go and we're on the the winner-take-all race.

#86 GIBY

GIBY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:20 PM

I'll take one of those "PINK TACO's" that everyone is talking about.

#87 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:20 PM

Honour has cut the distance in half - 36 seconds between them at the leeward mark. One shift and this thing is up for grabs again, though Dave D isn't making the same mistakes again.

Attached Files

#88 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:21 PM

Hey, Clean... Thanks, Pal... Haven't done squat today so far!!!

#89 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:22 PM

For the first time all weekend, Honour is pointing higher than HB. This could be intentional, but it's hard to say. Both crews are hiking again, as Honour tacks over to the middle. Crossing astern by a bunch of boatlengths.

#90 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:24 PM

Honour is definitely closing up, and HB is covering much more tightly. Honour back to the left, HB legging out to the right now - looking for a tack from them...wait for it...wait for itt...

#91 bgulari

bgulari

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:26 PM

Heartbreaker is about to round the new leeward mark - two more legs to go and we're on the the winner-take-all race.

do you mean we are on to the winner take all race ?

#92 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:26 PM

More pics coming. Honour is closing with every tack.

#93 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:28 PM

Amazing tacking duel - there have to be at least 25 tacks so far on this leg. Halfway to the top mark now, HB still in the lead, but it's getting chipped away bit by bit.

#94 jetfuel

jetfuel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:sail ski

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:30 PM

Dave just said that the current here is up to 2 knots at times, flowing directily from Niagara falls to here. Honour just rounded a minute behind HB, and nearly had to double-tack the mark again. Remember that Honour chose to sail with no wind instruments at all - no expedition, none of the bells and whistles. A brave call from Gavin Brady, but with three or four badly called laylines, maybe something to consider.

What happened tho their instruments? tough to call the shifts

#95 sails call

sails call

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:30 PM

I felt a little goofy eating my sandwich watching a blue and red triangle on my laptop at lunchtime today. I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

#96 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:32 PM

Still more piccies

Attached Files

#97 jetfuel

jetfuel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:sail ski

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:33 PM

What happened tho their instruments? tough to call the shifts

#98 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:37 PM

The tacks are amazing - more tacks on this leg than probably the entire other 7 races. These guys are awake now!

Heartbreaker is a minute or so from the mark, leading Honour by 8-10 boatlengths. Last leg ahead!

#99 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:39 PM

27 seconds, HB gybed to cover just as Honour rounded with a gybeset. Once again Honour called a horrible layline, and had to pinch for 5-10 seconds to get around. That hurt them badly. Honour now to windward slightly and well-behind. It'll take a miracle to catch HB here.

#100 Pandora's Box

Pandora's Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:44 PM

epic! thanx all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users