#1 supine

supine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:44 PM

http://www.sail-worl...inal-race/38901

One of the nicest blokes I've ever sailed with.

Rest in peace mate...

#2 Phil

Phil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,027 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:06 PM

I cannot say anymore than I already have.

Genuinely, one of natures gentlemen.

He will be sorely missed.

Bundy and dry ginger was his favourite, we'll have one for him tonight.

#3 Mel

Mel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:21 PM

Nigel was one of the best. A great bloke with a wonderful sense of humour and a love of sailing.

Last year when we went to Melbourne he supplied my entire crew with his Inflatable Lifejackets so we could compete. Most people did not know this as he did not want any big thanks. He just wanted to make sure we all went and could compete in comfort.

I know we will be having a bundy or two at the club tonight.

#4 Eventually

Eventually

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,017 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:30 PM

Can't say I knew him more than a nodding g'day at the bar.

Can say I knew him on the water a few times over the years and was always struck his generosity towards both competitors and team mates. Well sailed Mr. Holman. Vale.

Bundy and dry it is.

#5 Mel

Mel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:45 PM

Photos from start of Last Years Southport. Thanks Tim Gallego for the shots.

Attached Files

#6 duncan (the other one)

duncan (the other one)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:36 PM

indeed.. a thoroughly decent bloke.. one of those few you have the good fortune to meet in your life.

#7 supine

supine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 04:13 AM

Bundy and dry ginger was his favourite, we'll have one for him tonight.

bundy and dry it is then...

#8 nq66

nq66

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:50 AM

I never had the pleasure to sail with him .But sailed against many a time and had more than 1or 3 rums at the bowls club at Lord Howe many a time.One of natures Gentelmen

#9 Jason AUS

Jason AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:40 AM

One of the last true gentlemen, he will be very sadly missed.
A joy to deal with, an absolute pleasure to sail with.
God speed Nigel.

#10 PurplePrincess

PurplePrincess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:39 PM

A true gentleman, a great sailor and a truely honest, generous contributor to sailing in all regards.

Although I only knew Nigel from mostly back at the dock after racing over years against him, not on a boat with him, I was still priveleged enough to have known him and experienced his generiousity.

He was a great competitor and I know his accomplishments will be covered in that regard in other posts, forums or media.

But another side of him, for me, was.... come ladies race at either MHYC or Manly he was more than happy to hand his boat over when asked, then find a runabout and come out and cheer on & take pics if he could.

I had the pleasure to experience his generousity and trust on the Sydney 38, the Sydney 32, and on the Sydney 39 - along with a number of girls that so much appreciated and will very much miss him.

Godspeed & good lifts......

Learne

#11 Edake

Edake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:54 PM

A fine sailor and a trure gentleman. Would always help and always had a smile. Was a great Joggie sailor and we had a lot of good times at Port Stephens. From all the Joggies RIP.

#12 Philc

Philc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:35 PM

You could not meet or sail with a greater gentleman than Nigel.

He was successful in business as well as sailing.

He has helped a lot of people get on in sailing.

While I only did the occasional Wednesday races with Nigel, he would always give you a ride even if he had a full crew.

He is sadly missed and a loss to sailing and MHYC.

My thoughts are with Imogen and the Holman Family.

#13 Philc

Philc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:59 PM

Funeral Arrangements please see the MHYC website.

http://www.mhyc.com.au/

#14 Eventually

Eventually

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,017 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:23 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Eventually

Eventually

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,017 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:25 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Eventually

Eventually

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,017 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:26 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Eventually

Eventually

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,017 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:28 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Eventually

Eventually

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,017 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:30 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Eventually

Eventually

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,017 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:31 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Eventually

Eventually

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,017 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:33 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 Eventually

Eventually

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,017 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:35 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 Phil

Phil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,027 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:22 PM

Thanks Mr E for taking the time to post some pics.

If I remember right , the mainsheet hand in the Savills shots was the starter of this thread.

I was the mainsheet hand at the start of the Southport.

#23 rocket167

rocket167

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:17 AM

Only met him a couple of times on the dock, on the water against him a few more. Always a gentleman and loved by all that knew him!

RIP Mr. Holman.

#24 Pitchick

Pitchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:13 AM

I was one who was fortunate to sail with Nigel a lot.

From him letting me bring my daughter aboard every Wednesday in a baby capsule then car seat to our famous hot pies on winter Sundays he is someone I truly respected within the sailing community.

Very generous and true believer in women's yachting.

Will be missed greatly.

#25 Danny Boy

Danny Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:27 AM

Guys,
As Nigel's nephew and frequent visitor to these pages, huge thanks for all of the love.
Nigel had been Ill for a year and at many points it was looking as if he was going to make a good recovery, and it is a testament to his stoicism and positivity that his passing seemed so sudden and almost unexpected.
As this thread attests, Nigel was a complete star. I owe my sailing "addiction" to Nigel, when he bought myself and mytwin sis each a laser as a suprise 13th birthday present back in '93. This was shortly after we had watched in awe as Nigel and the guys on Cuckoo won the storm ravaged '93 Hobart from the other side of the world. This act of generosity marked the start of a long journey for me that included race wins at many levels right up to the laser worlds. I had some amazing times, met some great people, and none of it would have happened if it weren't for Nigel's generosity, and, subsequently, his encouragement.
I only managed to get down under to see Nigel and Immo at home once, back in 99, and it was great to meet so many of his mates and go sailing from Manly with him, and I look forward to meeting more of you at his funeral.
Cheers
Dan

#26 DickDastardly

DickDastardly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:47 AM

Very sad - a true gentleman indeed. Sailed the Lyons 40 for a few years - with and after him, sweet boat. Hit my all time top speed in that baby.

Nigel gave a lot to the sport, will be missed. Sail on mate.

#27 GMiller

GMiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:30 PM

Had the pleasure of spending time with Nigel in Antigua in 2005. Enjoyed his many stories of his racing adventures, especially the ones of going to Lord Howe Island. He was a lot of fun to be around even for the brief time of our friendship, and I sincerely mourn the loss to his friends, family, and the racing community. We'll hoist a rum and ginger for him on the course today.

#28 Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

Man what a shock to read about Nigel,

I reflect on the sentiments of all of those who have quoted before me, Nigel was one of the kindest "High Profile" yachties you'd ever meet, and I'm honoured to have done so on a number of occasions, it really is just tragic that now we have lost to the Sydney and more importantly the MHYC and Manly racing scene, one of Australian Yachting's real Gentlemen.

Rest easy Nigel, fair winds and thank you for the Memories.

HcW

Pic Courtesy of Greg Dickins - Mount Gay 30 formerly "Cookoo's Nest Team Fujitsu"

Attached Files

#29 GnT

GnT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:28 AM

I had the pleasure of sailing with Nigel in a Lord Howe race many years ago on the Lyons 40. I also assisted Nigel and Imogen with a delivery from Southport. In a short time I learned what a gentleman he was, and how generous he could be in many more ways than one. And each year I would have a beer and a chat at the MYC Ladies Day, where he invariably loaned his yacht to an all-girl crew. A marvellous fellow who will be missed. RIP.

#30 Pitchick

Pitchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:54 AM

Dan,

Lovely words - I think I may have sailed with you when you were here in Sydney.

Will see you on Wednesday.

#31 dash34

dash34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Interests:Sailing my boat, playing bass and classical guitar, flying sailplanes, skiing, cycling and hiking.

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:35 AM

Just got the news today on the wet coast of the GWN. Sailed with Nigel a fair bit on the 30, and a couple of times on the 40. I remember accidentally chipping his tooth on the 40 when I was bringing the mainsheet in fast and he got too close to my flying elbows. Most guys would have gotten at least a little angry - Nigel just took it all in stride.

My wife was on the 30 the night they hit Bull Rock. She describes how he calmly went below, cranked up the keel, and off they went.

Anybody else got stories? Might be a nice way to remember him to post a few here.

Sail on, Nigel.

"Moose"

#32 Phil

Phil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,027 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:58 AM

I missed the funeral today, as I'm currently OS.

However Mel went and said the club was packed after the funeral. As it was a Wednesday some went for a sail, he would have liked that.

#33 Imogen

Imogen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:34 PM

Thank you to everyone for the very kind and moving comments - Dan sent me the link.

A young friend of mine sent me a card to tell me not to worry as every day is a perfect sailing day for Nigel now - a good thought.

Imogen

#34 the sa

the sa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:56 AM

Have only just heard about Nigel's passing over here in Perth. He was one of the nicest owner to deal with around regattas and races and am sure he will be missed. May all his courses now be downwind.

#35 havefungetgundrinkrum

havefungetgundrinkrum

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:08 AM

Just got the news today on the wet coast of the GWN. Sailed with Nigel a fair bit on the 30, and a couple of times on the 40. I remember accidentally chipping his tooth on the 40 when I was bringing the mainsheet in fast and he got too close to my flying elbows. Most guys would have gotten at least a little angry - Nigel just took it all in stride.

My wife was on the 30 the night they hit Bull Rock. She describes how he calmly went below, cranked up the keel, and off they went.

Anybody else got stories? Might be a nice way to remember him to post a few here.

Sail on, Nigel.

"Moose"

Thanks for the story Moose,

I recall several classic events.

The one that comes to mind on the old BH41 on the way to southport ( A fast one) awsome start boat end about 3rd boat off the line with a big masthead off we went charging across Watsons bay then Bang Broach in front of the fleet. Calm as a cucumber Nigel pulls everyone back together and sends me down to repack the chute. By the time we were at North head up she went again.

When we arrived at Barenjoey or Darren joey( you know what I mean twurler) the call was a polled out heady for a rocket ship ride all night. I recall Mel had the best speed that night 22 knots. Hanno may have seen 23. Coldest Southport I ever had. You can tell its cold because Hano put his thongs on when the sun went down.

Love you all

See you on the water Nigel

PS

Lets not forget the classic ride from Lord howe on the MG 30

Attached Files

#36 Jason AUS

Jason AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:18 AM

I remember punting that BH41 home from Cabbage Tree back in 99 or so, and despite my tentative enquiries (I worked at Hood and would have been trying to fix it), Nigel was happy to keep the bag on in 35 kts of breeze. I also remember his cool as a cucumber demeanour in advising me to "steer a touch more gently, the top rudder bearing is a bit suspect."

And on top of this, he did all the cooking that race. Good times. A true gent.

#37 Pitchick

Pitchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:49 AM

Today at 0945 Eastern Summer Time at 1 Nautical Mile of Sydney Heads we farewelled our friend.

Nigel had requested that his ashes be spread upon the sea he loved so much and he organised a gorgeous Sydney summer morning with a beautiful strong Nor-easter for the day.

Imogen steered the 'Cuckoo's Nest' to the chosen spot with battle flags flying and around fifteen other yachts surrounded us for the ceremony. To the words of John Masefield's 'Sea Fever' we sent him off (to leeward of course!) surrounded by yellow and white summer frangipanis.

"Sea-Fever"

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

By John Masefield (1878-1967).

All on board had a swig of 43% proof Jamician rum from the same bottle - a merchant navy tradition from Nigel's father - Wally.

The rest will be enjoyed in the Bass Strait on the way to Hobart from his hip flask.

RIP Nigel - never to be forgotten.

S xx

#38 Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:15 PM

A moving. wonderful way to Celebrate the wishes and life of a Wonderful man, I'm honored to have known him.

Calm Sea's and a Fair breeze to guide you home.

RIP Nigel

#39 Danny Boy

Danny Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:46 PM

Thats a lovely post Simone, it sounds like a super send off and I'm glad Nigel ordered up some fitting weather for the event. We were all thinking of you guys back in the UK.
I trust you and a great Hobart race, and the rum made a long time on the rail go a little quicker.
Thanks again to all who I met out in Sydney, and apologies for any cowboy antics at the helm of a very crowded Cuckoo on the thursday night race.
Dan X

#40 gregw

gregw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

Posted Image
It is 5 years since Nigel passed away and his wife, Imogen, has recently cleaned up a few things and discovered a small horde of rum that Nigel had won/collected over the years. Imogen donated them to Manly Yacht club and suggested that we use them as prizes for the race nearest the anniversary of his death. This MYC did and a few weeks ago we had the Nigel Holman twilight and much rum was won and drunk.

However, luckily we noticed that a few of the bottles looked a little good for the MYC twilights (elite sail contest that it is :) A bit of googling revealed that 3 of the bottles are full on collectors items, with one bottle in particular ( a 1988 Bundaberg Centenary VAT 100 boxed decanter), being worth well over $2000 at auction! Imogen insisted that the club keep the bottles and use them the raise funds for the club. Rather than just selling them, we have converted one of our offshore races next year into the Nigel Holman Race 4 Rum, with proceeds going towards a new support boat to be named after Nigel. Bundaberg has come on board with an extra case of rum for additional prizes and Micropay are also sponsoring the event with a donation towards the support boat.

There will be an inshore and a short offshore race, hopefully with multiple divisions of each if we get enough entrants. The place getters of each division will get bottles of Rum. The winners of the combined divisions for inshore and offshore will receive a collectable bottle of Bundaberg Black. Every entrant will go into the barrel with a chance to win the Vat 100 by a draw. Place getters will go into the barrel more often.

The racing will be on the 3rd of March, which is the Sunday before the SHR, so hopefully boats from many clubs will be available to participate and get into a bit of training (for the SHR as well as drinking rum) in commemoration of Nigel and to help perpetuate his memory in a new support boat for MYC.

The NOR is available via http://myc.org.au/ra...nhrd/nhrd.shtml and you can enter online for $50.

Please spread the word and get your entries in early!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users