1557 replies to this topic

#101 blubberboy

blubberboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:45 AM

And there have probably been thousands of vomit slicks that have accompanied the fleet along the way to Mac island too, but we don't consider them to be participates in the Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac.

I'll pray for storms.

#102 seadog14

seadog14

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:37 AM

[quote name='Cable-Layer' date='Dec 10 2007, 05:16 PM' post='1454217']
Quick summary for you...

Make sure you have your paperwork in order!!!

Yep, I was there too. Felt the "seminar" was really for those not familiar with the race, and those who didn't know what to expect. I was told that if I wanted to insure my invitation as first time with my own boat, that I needed to be there. After doing nearly a dozen Macs and numerous SORC's, KWRW, and Pacific races, I felt I was pretty well qualified. Personally thought it was way simple, but I sat with Gene McCarthy, who has done 54 Chi Macs. It is pitiful that I felt somewhat comforted in the waste of my day, 7 hours of driving time and 3 hrs at the club. But what the heck, there was someone there from Kechekan Alaska, and others from Minnesota, Ohio, Northern and Eastern Michigan... good commpany all around. A few frostys and fried lake perch before heading back home. Weather was decent and roads were clear.

with 125 new applicants so far, and 300+ renewal invitations, the race is darn near the limit of 450 already!

#103 sodajerk

sodajerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:03 PM

I think it is funny when people say that they have done # or # of races. Don't you know how many Mac's you have done?

Someone posted that they did 1 or 2 Mac's. That was great.

I can see it when you have done 50+ Mac's. " oh I think I have done 53 or 54 of them." That makes sense.

Holdmycourse! does all of our races blindfolded...he feels it gives him a tactical edge.
One of the side effects though, is that he is never entirely sure which race he is
participating in at the time...hence the confusion over how many total Mac Races.

The 1 or 2 Mac's reply is pure gold!

#104 TripleZeros

TripleZeros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:24 PM

Holdmycourse! does all of our races blindfolded...he feels it gives him a tactical edge.
One of the side effects though, is that he is never entirely sure which race he is
participating in at the time...hence the confusion over how many total Mac Races.

The 1 or 2 Mac's reply is pure gold!

This is my 0 or 1st mac. should be a blast. I guess i have to check the flares for my skipper, he had a small problem with reading last year.

#105 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:16 PM

Make sure you have your paperwork in order!!!

Yep, I was there too. Felt the "seminar" was really for those not familiar with the race, and those who didn't know what to expect. I was told that if I wanted to insure my invitation as first time with my own boat, that I needed to be there. After doing nearly a dozen Macs and numerous SORC's, KWRW, and Pacific races, I felt I was pretty well qualified. Personally thought it was way simple,

I am curious who told you that. We were pretty clear in our siminar announcement about who it was geared to and what would be covered:

CHICAGO YACHT CLUB (October 30, 2007) Chicago Yacht Club announces today that it will offer a special seminar for new participants in its annual Race to Mackinac, presented by Lands' End. The seminar is titled Race to Mackinac 2008 – Getting Started, and will be held at Chicago Yacht Club, 400 E. Monroe Street, Chicago, Ill., on December 8, 2007 from 9:00 a.m. to Noon. The cost is $15.00 and includes a continental breakfast.

Chicago Yacht Club has already received a record number of requests from sailors around the world seeking invitations to the 100th Race to Mackinac, which begins July 19, 2008. The December seminar is designed to provide first time participants with information and insight on how to prepare a boat and crew for this exciting and challenging event. In particular, this seminar will cover: the invitation and request process, the Race to Mackinac website and race documents, safety considerations and the schedule of pre-race and post race events. Several winning Mackinac skippers will be on hand to share their tips and experiences.

It was a good crowd and there was lots of positive feed back from those in attendance. Again, I would like to know who told you that your attendance was necessary to secure your invite.

rew

#106 Hrothgar

Hrothgar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,993 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:05 PM

I did NOT intepret the seminar invite to imply that first time skippers would not get an invite if they weren't in attendance.

I do think CYC is doing a nice job of communication about the event. I think its probably important to emphasize that this is probably not an event that you sign up for, slap a crew together, and go. Anyone's who's done the race as a crew member (much less an owner) knows there's a lot of time invested in planning and scheduling as well as a pretty big investment on the part of the owner when you consider safety regs, pre-race crew accomodations (for out of towners), delivery time, etc.

Looking forward to the event--and to the next updates from the race coordinator.

Hroth

#107 Trimmed for speed - - -

Trimmed for speed - - -

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:40 AM

'If' I do this darn race again it'd be numero 16. I know, I say that every year..... but this being the 100th - I guess I should attend? After all, it's nice seeing all the kids growing up and learing either what 'not' to do on the island, or just a better way of getting away with it. ;)

Bat Alley anyone?

#108 Trimmed for speed - - -

Trimmed for speed - - -

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:03 AM

'If' I do this darn race again it'd be numero 16...

Edit - This would actually be my 18th. Sorry, the edit feature is missing and I can't count. Blame it on the rum... darn rum.

#109 Cable-Layer

Cable-Layer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:57 PM

DO YOU WANT TO GO TO THE BEACH.....DO YOU??? DO YOU???

HoldMyCourse, how did you know where the beach even was if you were blindfolded?

#110 Holdmycourse!

Holdmycourse!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:54 PM

DO YOU WANT TO GO TO THE BEACH.....DO YOU??? DO YOU???

HoldMyCourse, how did you know where the beach even was if you were blindfolded?

I'm going to anger managment class. After you get past 15 or so Mac's brain cells are at a premium.

#111 coolerbythelake

coolerbythelake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:54 PM

I see the CYC site has one boat listed under current entries... and it didn't take too long to load...

#112 more cowbell

more cowbell

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 05:55 PM

I'm going to anger managment class. After you get past 15 or so Mac's brain cells are at a premium.

If you are the 36.7 skipper that I saw in the 05 cyc race why did you try to take that multihull up?

Guy was yelling at anyone who tried to go above him.

Bad Karma. :lol: ;)

#113 OffShore Sam

OffShore Sam

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:38 PM

Going up with JDL, Barley and a few others, including one guy who will be doing his 61st. It will be my 28th. Then again, if JDL acts 13 it may no longer be as much fun with all his maturity this year.

#114 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:44 PM

Man 400 boats. The Island is going to be really crowded.
I think we need to take a page from The Bayview'ers who party on the docks/boats.
Stay outta the bars & save $$$ & frustration.

Speaking of which, what is the result of the harbor dredging? what is the depth in the outside/inside slips?

#115 widget

widget

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 03:01 AM

^^2nd that!

#116 This Side Up

This Side Up

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 03:31 AM

I'm looking for a crew position somwhere for my first mac I have no bigboat experiance whatsoever and well uum yeah guess Im reaching in the dark here

#117 Irishdriver

Irishdriver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 03:52 AM

I'm looking for a crew position somwhere for my first mac I have no bigboat experiance whatsoever and well uum yeah guess Im reaching in the dark here

Well Newbie Doosh, You can start off by buying us some drinks. Then we want to see pictures of your mother.

Now go to bed.

ID

#118 Zac

Zac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:10 AM

Can't wait to throw yer fuckin ass in the drink

I'm next in line...

10th for me

#119 ockam-nokam

ockam-nokam

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 10:45 AM

I'm next in line...
10th for me

For being tossed in the water? I don't think we got to toss anybody in this year.

#120 sailtwister

sailtwister

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:37 PM

This will be my 21st, my dad's 39th, and my nephew's 2nd. Our boat combined is somewhere around 360 Macs.

Funny you bring up the dredging, we were talking about it last night at SSYC.

Go to this site for pics of the dredging: Mac Island Dredging

Happy Holidays to all!

Preston

#121 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:21 PM

For being tossed in the water? I don't think we got to toss anybody in this year.

we will toss in Linc. Goat

#122 This Side Up

This Side Up

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:27 PM

Well Newbie Doosh, You can start off by buying us some drinks. Then we want to see pictures of your mother.

Now go to bed.

ID

thought Id get something like this

#123 seadog14

seadog14

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:36 AM

I am curious who told you that. We were pretty clear in our siminar announcement about who it was geared to and what would be covered:

CHICAGO YACHT CLUB (October 30, 2007) Chicago Yacht Club announces today that it will offer a special seminar for new participants in its annual Race to Mackinac, presented by Lands' End. The seminar is titled Race to Mackinac 2008 – Getting Started, and will be held at Chicago Yacht Club, 400 E. Monroe Street, Chicago, Ill., on December 8, 2007 from 9:00 a.m. to Noon. The cost is $15.00 and includes a continental breakfast.

Chicago Yacht Club has already received a record number of requests from sailors around the world seeking invitations to the 100th Race to Mackinac, which begins July 19, 2008. The December seminar is designed to provide first time participants with information and insight on how to prepare a boat and crew for this exciting and challenging event. In particular, this seminar will cover: the invitation and request process, the Race to Mackinac website and race documents, safety considerations and the schedule of pre-race and post race events. Several winning Mackinac skippers will be on hand to share their tips and experiences.

It was a good crowd and there was lots of positive feed back from those in attendance. Again, I would like to know who told you that your attendance was necessary to secure your invite.

rew

#124 seadog14

seadog14

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:38 AM

rew

REW, please contact me directly if you want to discuss, I can provide names and copies of e mail if you really want to know.

#125 seadog14

seadog14

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:49 AM

I know this threads about how many we've done, but we all had a first one (OK, I'm talking about a first mac here) We're putting on a seminar for first time mac skippers on Saturday at CYC and as of last night 107 people have signed up!

We my need trafic cops on the first night of the mac this year!

rew

Hey REW,

any chance you can assist me in tracking the actual number of Chicago-Mac races I have done since 1983 or 84? Looks like I need to save face with Hippie and perhaps a few fellow SA'ers. There must be contestant archives, and I need to know to track my progress toward OG! Thanks!

#126 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:25 PM

Hey REW,

any chance you can assist me in tracking the actual number of Chicago-Mac races I have done since 1983 or 84? Looks like I need to save face with Hippie and perhaps a few fellow SA'ers. There must be contestant archives, and I need to know to track my progress toward OG! Thanks!

Sorry, you're on your own. The archives aren't that good and until online registration and crew lists a few years ago no consitent attempt was made to document this.

rew

#127 ockam-nokam

ockam-nokam

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:15 PM

From what I've heard CYC does have them going back a few years then after that you get to go the Maritime Museum to dig through boxes and boxes and boxes of records.

From what I understand you will need to provide the year, the boat & skipper, others that you may remember on the crew and perhaps some others that can verify that you were there then. A friend of mine ( non-SAer ) was just looking into finding out the same info himself.

The moral of the sail is to document it all yourself and submit good paperwork to the OGS.

I myself have many more years to go before I attain that high rank of OG.

#128 gangbusters

gangbusters

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 01:51 AM

As I recall the paperwork for becoming an Old Goat was fairly easy. Just list the years and the name of the boat you were on. The interesting part is that you do not become an OG on the completion of your 25th race. It is not until the induction dinner that you become one.

#129 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:24 PM

Invites are out.....57 entries already received! Invites to fist timers will go out in a month.

Chicago Yacht Club Invites 426 Competitors To Skipper Their Boats in the 100th Race to Mackinac
CHICAGO YACHT CLUB (December 18, 2007). Chicago Yacht Club announced today that it has invited 426 competitors to enter their boats in the 2008 Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac, presented by Lands’ End Business Outfitters. 2008 marks the 100th running of 'the Mac,' the world's longest annual freshwater sailing distance race. The 100th Race will start off Chicago's lakefront on July 19, 2008.

At this point, only skippers who have competed in one of the last three Races have been invited to participate in the 100th Race. Skippers who do not meet these criteria may request an invitation through the official Race website at www.chicagoyachtclub.org/racetomackinac . Chicago Yacht Club will begin issuing invitations in response to these requests on or before January 15, 2008.

'The interest level in securing an invitation is unprecedented,' said Don Glasell, Selections Committee Chair. 'It’s only mid-December, yet we have already received more than double the typical number of requests for invitations. And we continue to receive new requests on a daily basis,' Glasell added. A current list of Invited Competitors is available at on the Race to Mackinac website (select Boats | Invited Competitors from the main menu).

Chicago Yacht Club looks forward to staging a world-class, 'once in a lifetime' race for skippers and crews. If you have any questions or concerns about participating in this historic running of the Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac, please contact Amanda Platt, Race Coordinator at 312.861.7777 or at racecoordinator@chicagoyachtclub.org .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
End of Message...

#130 Sailor90

Sailor90

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • Interests:A Scow racer, Melges 24's, Laser, and big boats in Chicago.

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:12 PM

Registration is filling up fast, 12 new boats were added in the last hour and a half!

It's up to 107 now!

#131 Call Me Boomvang

Call Me Boomvang

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Interests:Breaking Wind
    Shirking Work
    Passing Blame
    Irritating Strangers
    Cracking Wise
    Composing Haiku
    Cold Chillin
    Knocking About

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:16 AM

Registration is filling up fast, 12 new boats were added in the last hour and a half!

It's up to 107 now!

Relax. It is not filling yet. Let me know when it tops 400, that is the time to not be a straggler.

#132 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:33 AM

We're in.

Can't wait.

DG

#133 blubberboy

blubberboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:40 AM

I haven't seen Genuine Risk with an assload of SA members as crew yet... Well?

#134 Shorthanded

Shorthanded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:26 AM

We're in.

Can't wait.

DG

I'm in too. While I had a great time crewing for you this year, I'm looking forward to racing my own boat again. You gonna race with 6 like this year?

#135 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:55 AM

I'm in too. While I had a great time crewing for you this year, I'm looking forward to racing my own boat again. You gonna race with 6 like this year?

I was just cruising this list this evening and saw that you were officially entered. I didn't know what a Speed Ray was until I remembered seeing the other 'SR' 33 at the docks in Muskegon and saw that boat was also entered. So... good deal. We'll be sad not to have you, but it will be good to get you behind the tiller of your own boat again. I wouldn't have it any other way.

As for the number on our boat... who knows. I liked the group we had, but then you fellas had to go out and get boats of your own.

We'll see. I'd love to hop a ride on the SR at some point, if you ever need another person. Let me know - boats look like fun.

DG

#136 Shorthanded

Shorthanded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:09 AM

I was just cruising this list this evening and saw that you were officially entered. I didn't know what a Speed Ray was until I remembered seeing the other 'SR' 33 at the docks in Muskegon and saw that boat was also entered. So... good deal. We'll be sad not to have you, but it will be good to get you behind the tiller of your own boat again. I wouldn't have it any other way.

As for the number on our boat... who knows. I liked the group we had, but then you fellas had to go out and get boats of your own.

We'll see. I'd love to hop a ride on the SR at some point, if you ever need another person. Let me know - boats look like fun.

DG

You definitely have an invite to come down for a race sometime. I think we're going to have a great time with her. Now go buy some flares and win your section next year!

#137 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:49 AM

You definitely have an invite to come down for a race sometime. I think we're going to have a great time with her. Now go buy some flares and win your section next year!

I thought he won last year? What am I missing?

#138 Zac

Zac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:51 AM

Which boat? Thought you sold the 35?

#139 Shorthanded

Shorthanded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:10 PM

Well, he did....but you know what I mean. Take home the 1st place flag, not the second.

#140 Shorthanded

Shorthanded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:14 PM

Which boat? Thought you sold the 35?

Hey Zac, how are you doing? Yeah, I sold the 35 about a year ago and now we'll be riding an SR33 around Lake Michigan and looking forward to it. We'll have a good time going up against Ticklish, but they're going to be tough to beat.

#141 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:57 PM

You're my hero.

We are all winners.

DG

#142 sodajerk

sodajerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:12 PM

It's up to 107 now!

We're registered!
Should we start discussing the weather forecast yet?

#143 Fast Laser

Fast Laser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Offshore Racing
    Skiing

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:19 PM

Just for grins, how would your race strategy change if it were made mandatory that you had to leave both North & South Manitu to starboard?

Thought this might be a fun mental exercise for these cold winter days :D

#144 sodajerk

sodajerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:11 PM

Just for grins, how would your race strategy change if it were made mandatory that you had to leave both North & South Manitu to starboard?

Thought this might be a fun mental exercise for these cold winter days :D

Is sailing backward through the passage an option?

#145 Cable-Layer

Cable-Layer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:55 PM

We're registered!

It's official. The defense of the cup begins...

#146 Call Me Boomvang

Call Me Boomvang

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Interests:Breaking Wind
    Shirking Work
    Passing Blame
    Irritating Strangers
    Cracking Wise
    Composing Haiku
    Cold Chillin
    Knocking About

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:25 PM

It paid to go left of the manitous last year. The gibe angles were really good and you avoided all the streaky light air caused by the competing thermals churning in the passage that fucked over so many.

#147 sodajerk

sodajerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:13 PM

It paid to go left of the manitous last year. The gibe angles were really good and you avoided all the streaky light air caused by the competing thermals churning in the passage that fucked over so many.

We went right of the Manitous last year...and ended up fairly pleased with the result.
Depends heavily on the conditions and the boat type though.
Your mileage may vary...

#148 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,487 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:30 PM

We went right of the Manitous last year...and ended up fairly pleased with the result.
Depends heavily on the conditions and the boat type though.
Your mileage may vary...

So did we, and we ended up in second by 5 minutes to the boat that went left.

The MOB at 17 knots didn't help though...

#149 Cable-Layer

Cable-Layer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:22 PM

So did we, and we ended up in second by 5 minutes to the boat that went left.
The MOB at 17 knots didn't help though...

MOB is slow.

#150 cold water sailor

cold water sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:26 AM

I have done between 10 - 15 races, never kept good track as I don't expect or want to do 25 and become a old goat. But who knows.

Now when are we going to start picking favorites.

#151 strbrdtckr

strbrdtckr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:11 AM

We're registered!

Too early for weather forecasts.
However, can we get the party planning started? Only 213 days to start....

#152 blubberboy

blubberboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:42 PM

Tickets here, get your tickets for:

#153 ockam-nokam

ockam-nokam

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:53 PM

Tickets here, get your tickets for:

Yippee - Time to get smashingly plastered™

#154 pen is

pen is

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:16 PM

This will be my 21st, my dad's 39th, and my nephew's 2nd. Our boat combined is somewhere around 360 Macs.

Funny you bring up the dredging, we were talking about it last night at SSYC.

Go to this site for pics of the dredging: Mac Island Dredging

Happy Holidays to all!

Preston

I am so tired of going aground every where we go. We almost couldnt get in for inspection last year we went aground about 5 times before we dregged the slip for them. Hope they go deep enough

Happy Holidays

#155 justasailer

justasailer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:15 AM

This will be 27 for me.

I recommend that anyone who has a remote shot at 25 start to write the boats and skippers down. I had hell remembering the middle years and the year of some of the 1 time boats.

#156 Bow Movement

Bow Movement

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:49 PM

There's 198 entries so far. It's not even 2008 yet, hopefully we get our invitation in time. :blink:

#157 blubberboy

blubberboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:49 PM

There's 198 entries so far. It's not even 2008 yet, hopefully we get our invitation in time. :blink:

Maybe they're trying to tell you something. ;)

#158 Try It!

Try It!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:56 PM

Link to NOR: http://www.chicagoya.../2008nor_v5.pdf
Looking forward to my 30th race on the 100th running in July of 2008.

it's going to be a blast! centenial! Win it!

#159 usa 090

usa 090

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:30 AM

Link to NOR: http://www.chicagoya.../2008nor_v5.pdf
Looking forward to my 30th race on the 100th running in July of 2008.

Looking to do my 8th, should be my 10th, but I missed one year to do Global Challenge, and last year to do Transpac. all good experiences to put in the pot towards many more Mac's

#160 CW.

CW.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:55 AM

I don't see the MSR (monohull Mackinac Safety Instructions) for 2008 posted on the CYC web site. Given all the converstation about flares is there a copy out - or has it not been officially published?

#161 ockam-nokam

ockam-nokam

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:16 AM

I don't see the MSR (monohull Mackinac Safety Instructions) for 2008 posted on the CYC web site. Given all the converstation about flares is there a copy out - or has it not been officially published?

Dude, don't sweat it yet. There is more than 6 months before the race starts. The proper documents will be posted when CYC actually sends out the invitations to the competitors that will be racing.

Go get yourself a rum and wait 5 months before you get your panties in a bundle.

#162 coolerbythelake

coolerbythelake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:32 AM

um, isn't it a "bunch?" per MSR, that is...

#163 blubberboy

blubberboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:49 PM

Has everyone filed their TPS reports? Come on people...

#164 Bow Movement

Bow Movement

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:50 PM

That's probably one of the most enthusiastic and motivational posts I've seen in a while, not to mention the screen name. If I'm having problems in life, do you mind if I PM you to cheer me up? Wow!

That's probably one of the most enthusiastic and motivational posts I've seen in a while, not to mention the screen name. If I'm having problems in life, do you mind if I PM you to cheer me up? Wow!

#165 5degrees

5degrees

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:17 PM

Go get yourself a rum and wait 5 months before you get your panties in a bundle.
[/quote]

"um, isn't it a "bunch?" per MSR, that is..."

I believe this is what your looking for?

"Tell them to flake off and don't get there panty's in a twist!"

#166 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,362 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:08 PM

I've always heard it as "knickers in a twist"

#167 ockam-nokam

ockam-nokam

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:05 PM

I've always heard it as "knickers in a twist"

I think they all basically mean the same. Go and have a bunch of rum and watch the snow. I'm going to.

#168 40048

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:06 PM

Great enthusiasm. Not the Centennial however. 2008 will be the 100th running, not the 100th year.

#169 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:22 PM

MSR will be posted within two weeks, final draft is in process.

rew

rew

#170 CW.

CW.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:28 PM

rew

Thanks for the response - as you know its cold, wet, and snowing. I wish I were anywhere I could be sailing. Looking forward to launch, the summer? or whatever we call it up here in LM. Gives one far too much time to read SA. With all the "noise" on SA about flares for next year I just wondered it it was bullshit or someone actually had seen a real MSR. Now I know it was all bullshit or more politely idle speculation.

Thanks again

#171 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,251 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:37 PM

REW

Slight correction on the Mac web site..

http://www.chicagoya...amp;eventid=241

"Starting in 1898 with a mere five boats, The Mac has evolved into a world class sporting event. Although the Mac remains primarily an amateur event, this race has a proven track record of attracting some of the finest sailing talent in the sport. Last year, Doug DeVos’ record breaking Windquest and 2006 Volvo Ocean Race winner ABN AMRO TWO, skippered byMike Sanderson, were the boats to watch. Although neither monohull beat the record of 23 hours, 30 minutes, and 34 seconds, set by Roy Disney’s Pyewacket in 2002. Steve Fossett on Stars and Stripes set the multihull record of 18 hours, 50 minutes, and 32 seconds in 1998. The unpredictable weather and fickle winds on Lake Michigan make the Race to Mackinac a supreme test, which many competitors feel rivals any ocean race. As one veteran sailor put it, “It’s fun, but it’s serious fun.”

ABN AMRO One won the '06 VOR, not ABN AMRO TWO.

God I'm bored, time for a beer.

#172 Sailor90

Sailor90

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:30 PM

204 days to start!

#173 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for the response - as you know its cold, wet, and snowing. I wish I were anywhere I could be sailing. Looking forward to launch, the summer? or whatever we call it up here in LM. Gives one far too much time to read SA. With all the "noise" on SA about flares for next year I just wondered it it was bullshit or someone actually had seen a real MSR. Now I know it was all bullshit or more politely idle speculation.

Thanks again

Yes, I have seen a real MSR......and no I won't.

#174 CW.

CW.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:09 PM

I agree. I am painting my daughter's room while she is off having a good time with friends.

#175 Lazy Guy

Lazy Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:58 PM

Fine gentleman from Lemont,

I don't believe you've been welcomed here yet, NEWB!

F@#king NOOB!

F@#k Off, Newb Dooshbag!

Show us your tits, what's it rate, yada yada yada

Welcome!

Now have fun and play nice.

#176 7.9 sailor

7.9 sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts
  • Interests:7.9's, other OD, rigging, Great Lakes racing

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:06 AM

ABN AMRO One won the '06 VOR, not ABN AMRO TWO.

1 1 was a racehorse
1 2 was 1 2
whenever 1 1 1 1
1 2 1 1 2

#177 dyslexic dog

dyslexic dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:00 AM

1 1 was a racehorse
1 2 was 1 2
whenever 1 1 1 1
1 2 1 1 2

Boz, you went binary on us. Please rephrase the words so that we all can understand.

#178 Sailor90

Sailor90

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:00 PM

193 days!

and

230'ish Current Entries

Man it was 50 degrees two days ago, 60 degrees yesterday, and its going to be 50 today, I’m beginning to think that spring has come early and then remember its the 8th of JANUARY in Chicago!

Tomorrow its going to be in the 30's, Damm!!! :(

#179 TripleZeros

TripleZeros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:36 PM

Invites are out.....57 entries already received! Invites to fist timers will go out in a month.

Chicago Yacht Club Invites 426 Competitors To Skipper Their Boats in the 100th Race to Mackinac
CHICAGO YACHT CLUB (December 18, 2007). Chicago Yacht Club announced today that it has invited 426 competitors to enter their boats in the 2008 Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac, presented by Lands’ End Business Outfitters. 2008 marks the 100th running of 'the Mac,' the world's longest annual freshwater sailing distance race. The 100th Race will start off Chicago's lakefront on July 19, 2008.
At this point, only skippers who have competed in one of the last three Races have been invited to participate in the 100th Race. Skippers who do not meet these criteria may request an invitation through the official Race website at www.chicagoyachtclub.org/racetomackinac . Chicago Yacht Club will begin issuing invitations in response to these requests on or before January 15, 2008.

REW, is the "on or before the 15th still true for invites?

#180 seadog14

seadog14

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:00 PM

New Skipper/New Boat Mac Race Invites are out.

VIVIENNE is in!

#181 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:10 PM

Yes, now go enter......

#182 40048

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:40 PM

Yes, now go enter......

What is the prior record for number of entries? Somehow 299 sticks in my mind.

#183 Hrothgar

Hrothgar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:50 PM

Standard Deviation is in! Looking forward to a great race!

Hrothgar

#184 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,487 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:35 PM

Yes, now go enter......

Ron - what's the tracking situation?

#185 nemesis

nemesis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:47 PM

Well... we just got our invitation and are doing it this year in the M30, so there will be at least one SoCal doing it! We tried to make it work last year and just couldn't. Have the logistics (at least partially) solved this year, so we'll see how it goes!

#186 TripleZeros

TripleZeros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:59 PM

Yes, now go enter......

We're in!, Thanks!!

Yes, now go enter......

We're in!, Thanks!! 343 and counting....

#187 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:01 PM

What is the prior record for number of entries? Somehow 299 sticks in my mind.

I think it was 319

#188 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:03 PM

Ron - what's the tracking situation?

i-boat. All boats will have transponders (no charge to competitor).

#189 CW.

CW.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:13 PM

REW - ETA on Safety Regs? Got to get going begging for equipment again!

#190 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,487 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:17 PM

Wow - that's a lot of black boxes. I'm not sure whether we're racing or not - it'll be great for the spectators though. I'm somewhat jawed at what a good job you guys have done to generate the interest you have - just awesome.

#191 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:30 PM

Final draft is nearly complete, give it a couple of days.

REW

#192 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:42 PM

Wow - that's a lot of black boxes. I'm not sure whether we're racing or not - it'll be great for the spectators though. I'm somewhat jawed at what a good job you guys have done to generate the interest you have - just awesome.

Thanks, what I'm really excited about is that it's mostly grass roots regional programs, which is what we need to rally grow the sport. I hope we can get some momentum off of it.

rew

#193 MaxHeadroom

MaxHeadroom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:49 PM

Ditto on the request for the Safety Regs -

They should have been posted prior to even opening it up for registration - Especially when fees are not refundable.

Full disclosure and all of that don't ya know....

~VOID HO~

#194 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,487 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:55 PM

Thanks, what I'm really excited about is that it's mostly grass roots regional programs, which is what we need to rally grow the sport. I hope we can get some momentum off of it.

rew

You already have the momentum - it'll more be a matter of not losing it.

#195 Hrothgar

Hrothgar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:03 PM

rew

Word. At least 3 new boats from our club over here in sunny Muskegon, including mine and probably a few more I don't know about. I know my crew is pumped up--the opportunity to participate in an event like this is what gets people hooked on sailing.

Hroth

#196 Cable-Layer

Cable-Layer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:04 PM

Mandatory for all participants? It will be a first!

#197 Cable-Layer

Cable-Layer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:12 PM

Oh, I forgot

Go The Cone! Welcome back!

#198 SailChiTown

SailChiTown

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:18 PM

351 boats entered!
25 Ben 36.7s!

Looks like it will be a great race, this will be my 15th.

#199 Lazy Guy

Lazy Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:47 PM

I heard the Flying Tiger 006, now named Gung Ho, got her invite today.

Go the Ho!

#200 Sailor90

Sailor90

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:00 AM

186 days to start

Total entries 359

314 registered in monohull racing class

Where the hell are they going to dock all these extra boats?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users