• Please log in to reply
1557 replies to this topic

#601 Sailor90

Sailor90

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • Interests:A Scow racer, Melges 24's, Laser, and big boats in Chicago.

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:36 AM

Bump! Got to keep this thing on the first page

Total entries: 458

148 days to start

Edit: Yea page 7! or page 14 for some of you 50 post per page people, maybe page 24, or even page 60 for some of you!?!

#602 seadog14

seadog14

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:56 PM

Bump! Got to keep this thing on the first page

148 days to start

Edit: Yea page 7! or page 14 for some of you 50 post per page people, maybe page 24, or even page 60 for some of you!?!

Still looking for update on boats damaged in the Skipper Buds fire... Come On Vegas, Grinder, ID, anybody?

#603 Sailor90

Sailor90

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:38 PM

Still looking for update on boats damaged in the Skipper Buds fire... Come On Vegas, Grinder, ID, anybody?

Byakuya Kuchiki said he was going to drive down from Milwaukee on Thursday morning.

I live about 30 min to the southwest of Skipper buds but I really don’t think I could get any info from them, apparently they aren’t even answering their phone! Pretty poor business practice if you ask me.

#604 Sailor90

Sailor90

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:45 PM

Just got off the phone with Skipper Buds!

I talked to Betsy, she told me she did not no of any sailboats that were destroyed in the fire, She said that no sailboats were destroyed in the fire.

#605 Cable-Layer

Cable-Layer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:56 PM

Just got off the phone with Skipper Buds!

I talked to Betsy, she told me she did not no of any sailboats that were destroyed in the fire, She said that no sailboats were destroyed in the fire.

Well, which one is it???
She did not no (actually it's know) of any sailboats that were destroyed in the fire.

OR was it

No sailboats were destroyed in the fire.

We don't know this Betsy so we don't know what she knows. One of the options leaves room for interpretation and the other is a definitive. Helps us out here.

Thanks

#606 Sailor90

Sailor90

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:04 PM

Well, which one is it???
She did not no (actually it's know) of any sailboats that were destroyed in the fire.

OR was it

No sailboats were destroyed in the fire.
We don't know this Betsy so we don't know what she knows. One of the options leaves room for interpretation and the other is a definitive. Helps us out here.

Thanks

I don't no Betsy either! I typed exactly what she said to me, so I assume that no sailboats were destroyed in the fire.

Me: Hi do you know any of the names of the sailboats destroyed in the fire?

Betsy: I don't know of any sailboats destroyed in the fire.

Me: Were any sailboats destroyed in the fire?

Betsy: No sailboats were destroyed in the fire.

Is that good enought for you? I see what you are saying and next time I will do my best to lay the information out better.

#607 JoeO

JoeO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:22 AM

Betsy: I don't know of any sailboats destroyed in the fire.
Betsy: No sailboats were destroyed in the fire.

Sounds like Betsy's a little confused herself...

#608 Hrothgar

Hrothgar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,993 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 25 February 2008 - 02:37 PM

148 days to start

460 entries
145 days to start

So, with entries cut off at 450 are the extra 10 boats drop outs that just haven't been purged from the system or are they boats that have agreed to not dock in the straits, or have they been able to allow more entries because some of the previous entries agreed not to dock in the straits? Just curious. Anyone know of boats that are definately not docking in the straits?

Hroth

#609 RumBulls

RumBulls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,336 posts
  • Interests:Was J24s
    Now is Olson30s

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:51 PM

I'd like to see updated pics of the Island's revamped harbor....How many more slips did they add?

#610 5degrees

5degrees

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:59 PM

You can check on it everyday.

Not much happening until spring though!

Island House Camera

#611 RumBulls

RumBulls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,336 posts
  • Interests:Was J24s
    Now is Olson30s

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:21 PM

You can check on it everyday.

Not much happening until spring though!

Island House Camera

I thought some work was done last fall and into early Dec. ...looks the same to me.

#612 40048

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:25 PM

I thought some work was done last fall and into early Dec. ...looks the same to me.

I am not sure you will be able to "see" any changes. Certainly not with the detail available on the web cam.

This is a description of the project (from 2006):

Island Marina To Undergo Full Reconstruction
By Paul Gingras

The Mackinac Straits area was featured in discussions by the Michigan State Waterways Commission, which reviewed the ongoing Mackinac Island Marina project, the development of the Mackinaw City State Dock, a complaint about the bidding process for marina construction projects, and the impact of online registration on Michigan marinas during a meeting in St. Ignace Friday, June 9.

The Mackinac Island Marina will undergo "complete rehabilitation," said Bill Boik, waterways planning unit manager. "The intention is to upgrade it to today's current standards."

To do so, all worn infrastructure will be replaced, the widths of slips will be adjusted, the dock will be re-stabilized, decking will be replaced, and the facility's utilities will be upgraded.

The higher amperage necessary to do so, Mr. Boik added, will require new substations and transformers on the mainland.

"Everything will be brought up to date," he added, "including the bathrooms and service buildings."

The Waterways Commission plans to landscape the shoreline, replace the walkway, and all docks attached to the walkway will be re-finished.

Improvements to the Mackinac Island marina will cost $600,000 more than the $3.6 million originally budgeted.

"The upgrades were several years in the planning," said Harold Herta, chief of resource management for the Department of Natural Resources (DNR). "Over the years, there have been increases in construction costs and other problems that drove the price up."

Work on the facility has suffered from a series of false starts, Mr. Boik added. During that time, the original estimate fell short, owing to inflation, the cost of fuel, rising material transportation costs, and other factors. The $600,000 shortfall will be taken care of with Waterways funding, he added.

The facility is only in fair condition.

"As far as I'm concerned, the Mackinac Island marina is the premiere destination in Michigan for boaters on the Great Lakes," Mr. Boik said. "We know we need to improve it. We don't want people to arrive and find a run-down facility."

Renovations will begin after the main-use season is over, to avoid interfering with boater traffic.

"When we begin renovations, we'll probably be done the same year," he said. "My guess is this will be in 2007."

#613 CW.

CW.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:26 PM

Byakuya Kuchiki said he was going to drive down from Milwaukee on Thursday morning.

I live about 30 min to the southwest of Skipper buds but I really don't think I could get any info from them, apparently they aren't even answering their phone! Pretty poor business practice if you ask me.

Did not realize that this was also in this thread. I did drive down. Report at http://rebootracing.blogspot.com

Sorry for the delay

#614 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,139 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:06 PM

460 entries
145 days to start

So, with entries cut off at 450 are the extra 10 boats drop outs that just haven't been purged from the system or are they boats that have agreed to not dock in the straits, or have they been able to allow more entries because some of the previous entries agreed not to dock in the straits? Just curious. Anyone know of boats that are definately not docking in the straits?

Hroth

DA-WOODY, definately not docking in the straits! :o :lol: But I'd like to one day ;)

#615 seadog14

seadog14

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:06 PM

460 entries
145 days to start

Hroth

REW, any comments on the 460 boats? Rumors are a terrible thing. Is it true the last 10 boats are Touch N Go no committing to no slip?

#616 40048

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:36 PM

REW, any comments on the 460 boats? Rumors are a terrible thing. Is it true the last 10 boats are Touch N Go no committing to no slip?

462 on the list today

#617 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:18 PM

462 on the list today

Actual paid entries are 460, there are two not real entries for committee purposes (e-mail/info release tracking) and there is no waiting list. Stick a fork in it...it's done.

#618 Sailor90

Sailor90

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:31 PM

Actual paid entries are 460, there are two not real entries for committee purposes (e-mail/info release tracking) and there is no waiting list. Stick a fork in it...it's done.

If we can guess who the two fake entries are do we win something off your desk!?! :lol: :P

#619 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,251 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:36 PM

That is going to be one crowded lake. And harbors..

#620 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,476 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:38 PM

Now that is a record to be proud of - March 1st all entries are in 4+ months in advance - frees up lots of time to work on running the race itself.

Nice job!

#621 smelly weasel

smelly weasel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:45 PM

anyone know if there is any on island housing left?

#622 Math man

Math man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:47 PM

Now that is a record to be proud of - March 1st all entries are in 4+ months in advance - frees up lots of time to work on running the race itself.

Nice job!

I sure hope its 4 months of actually working on the race for the sailors and not just blowing the RC and CYC people. Remember it is a race for the sailors not the volunteers. I sure hope CYC has there A game on, for the first time, this summer.

#623 JDL

JDL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:49 PM

I sure hope its 4 months of actually working on the race for the sailors and not just blowing the RC and CYC people. Remember it is a race for the sailors not the volunteers. I sure hope CYC has there A game on, for the first time, this summer.

Who the fuck is pointing a gun at your head and making you sail it? Rather than bitching, vote with your feet! Participating in this race is not an entitlement! Your spot can obviously be filled.

#624 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:52 PM

That's it, no blowjob for you.....

#625 7.9 sailor

7.9 sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts
  • Interests:7.9's, other OD, rigging, Great Lakes racing

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:54 PM

Any hint of the 2008 MSR's coming out?

#626 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:54 PM

If we can guess who the two fake entries are do we win something off your desk!?! :lol: :P

Who said I have a desk....I clean Port-a- Johns for a living. Ya, I can send you a prize.

#627 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:Psychoanalysis of dormant amoebas, underwater basket weaving, phlembology, political activism for alien sub-species, counting to twelve, making square blocks fit into round holes, yadda, yadda, yadda

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:57 PM

That's it, no blowjob for you.....

.....you come back....two weeks.

#628 raildwn

raildwn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:-

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:00 PM

I clean Port-a- Johns for a living.

There's a "4kt shitbox" joke in here somewhere.

#629 Owen60622

Owen60622

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:15 PM

Any hint of the 2008 MSR's coming out?

I asked the same question a month ago, and some other dude asked the same question a month before me. No answer as of yet. The CYC Mac Committee guy at Strictly Sail said, 'it should be up soon.' Of course, that was weeks ago. He did say they were pretty much the same as last year, but the smoke flares may be omitted. Don't quote me on that, 'cause it was obviously not yet final. The date on last year's MSR was March 8, 2007...so, I'm hoping it will be soon. You can view the 2007 MSR on the CYC Mac site, under the Archives tab.

#630 FINS

FINS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:23 PM

He did say they were pretty much the same as last year, but the smoke flares may be omitted.

Flares, flares we don't need no stinking flares............

#631 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:15 PM

Flares, flares we don't need no stinking flares............

Well actually you need 4 SOLAS Parachute and 4 SOLAS Red Hand flares for both races. Smokes are no longer required. Read my lips "SOLAS" are required for BOTH races. I have the 2008 combined (yes BYC and CYC are in the same MSR) regulations if anyone needs clarification. Raft for BYC and GPIRB for Chicago being the big difference. I am sure they will be posted soon for public consumption.

#632 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,476 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:53 PM

Care to let us know what boat you are on HOT SHOT? I'm sure the RC would love to show you their "A" game - "Your Dock assignment is Leland, there shoud be a shuttle." ;)

#633 HNL2ORD

HNL2ORD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:54 PM

anyone know if there is any on island housing left?

I think you will find housing to be tighter than usual. Most people who were there last year got first dibs on the same room (or better) for 08 and then they were taking names and building a back up list for those who didn't pay for their reservation in Jan. I will admit that there have been years that I have walked the streets and found a room but I would bet money against that happening this year. Mark me down for paid in Jan for the first time ever :lol:

#634 JDL

JDL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:56 PM

Who said I have a desk....I clean Port-a- Johns for a living. Ya, I can send you a prize.

You wish your profession left your hands so clean!

#635 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:57 PM

Well actually you need 4 SOLAS Parachute and 4 SOLAS Red Hand flares for both races. Smokes are no longer required. Read my lips "SOLAS" are required for BOTH races. I have the 2008 combined (yes BYC and CYC are in the same MSR) regulations if anyone needs clarification. Raft for BYC and GPIRB for Chicago being the big difference. I am sure they will be posted soon for public consumption.

I just received the e-mail from the CYC that said that the 'rules are ready to go'...

"In addition, for 2008, we have collaborated on publication of the 'Mackinac Safety Regulations.' This single document contains the applicable safety regulations for both Races, and will make it much easier for sailors to follow each's Races safety requirements. Please visit the Port Huron Mac website www.byc.com for further details. You will find that the websites and entry procedures for both Races are very similar. "

But, you head off to the website, and nada. Nothing posted. But, then again, the BYC website IS sponsored in part by Thomas Hardware which explains a lot.

Hahahahahahahaha.

Good times.

DG

#636 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:33 PM

I just received the e-mail from the CYC that said that the 'rules are ready to go'...

"In addition, for 2008, we have collaborated on publication of the 'Mackinac Safety Regulations.' This single document contains the applicable safety regulations for both Races, and will make it much easier for sailors to follow each's Races safety requirements. Please visit the Port Huron Mac website www.byc.com for further details. You will find that the websites and entry procedures for both Races are very similar. "

But, you head off to the website, and nada. Nothing posted. But, then again, the BYC website IS sponsored in part by Thomas Hardware which explains a lot.

Hahahahahahahaha.

Good times.

DG

Go look now

#637 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:37 PM

Go look now

Thanks much...

DG

#638 proOC

proOC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:38 PM

Care to let us know what boat you are on HOT SHOT? I'm sure the RC would love to show you their "A" game - "Your Dock assignment is Leland, there shoud be a shuttle." ;)

ouch, and RC s__t is tough and most sailors would or should give it a go, its like surfing, much harder than it looks...

#639 cariguy

cariguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:40 PM

Hahahahahahahaha.

Good times.

DG

Let me put something straight. These regulations were put together by BYC's Peter Griffin (a veteran of many offshore regattas) and the equivalent person at CYC. They are pretty much based on the ISAF equipment requirements. The decision at BYC was made to make it easier for competitors to comply to be equipped with the necessary safety equipment. Anybody who has read the category 2 ISAF special offshore regulations would agree the CYC and BYC version is much easier to understand. Thomas Hardware did not influence the writing of them. The new regulations were not designed to make more money for Saildry or any other Bayview member. They were written to make this race better and safe for the competitors.

#640 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:47 PM

You wish your profession left your hands so clean!

proctologist?

#641 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:48 PM

Let me put something straight. These regulations were put together by BYC's Peter Griffin (a veteran of many offshore regattas) and the equivalent person at CYC. They are pretty much based on the ISAF equipment requirements. The decision at BYC was made to make it easier for competitors to comply to be equipped with the necessary safety equipment. Anybody who has read the category 2 ISAF regulations would agree the CYC and BYC version is much easier to understand. Thomas Hardware did not influence the writing of them. The new regulations were not designed just to make more money for Saildry or any other Bayview member. They were written to make this race better and safe for the competitors.

Hold the phone there Bucko....

I'm not saying that Thomas Hardware had ANYTHING to do with the rules.

You need to get my humor... I was saying that Todd is exceptionally slow, and that it explained why BYC/CYC had SAID things were posted, when in fact, they weren't. I was suggesting that the new rules were most likely sitting on Jones's desk, and he forgot to put them up....

Jones is a good man, and I seriously doubt that he would be writing rules, in any case, that would favor Thomas.

So.... 'do you hear me now', Cariguy? I wasn't saying anything along the lines you were suggesting.

DG

#642 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:50 PM

Hahahahahahahaha.

Good times.

DG

Damn, Dickie... you couldn't even give me 5 minutes to get it posted!!! Ouch. That's pressure!

#643 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:52 PM

Damn, Dickie... you couldn't even give me 5 minutes to get it posted!!! Ouch. That's pressure!

I love you buddy.

You are a good man, Charlie Brown, and thanks for your help!!

Once I noticed that Thomas had something to do with the website I knew what the problem was, immediately.

DG

#644 cariguy

cariguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:53 PM

Hold the phone there Bucko....

I'm not saying that Thomas Hardware had ANYTHING to do with the rules.

You need to get my humor... I was saying that Todd is exceptionally slow, and that it explained why BYC/CYC had SAID things were posted, when in fact, they weren't. I was suggesting that the new rules were most likely sitting on Jones's desk, and he forgot to put them up....

Jones is a good man, and I seriously doubt that he would be writing rules, in any case, that would favor Thomas.

So.... 'do you hear me now', Cariguy? I wasn't saying anything along the lines you were suggesting.

DG

DG

OK OK OK - I guess I am too close so I took it too personally.

Now lets talk about J120s in IRC. That should really get me going.

#645 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:54 PM

Let me put something straight. These regulations were put together by BYC's Peter Griffin (a veteran of many offshore regattas) and the equivalent person at CYC. They are pretty much based on the ISAF equipment requirements. The decision at BYC was made to make it easier for competitors to comply to be equipped with the necessary safety equipment. Anybody who has read the category 2 ISAF special offshore regulations would agree the CYC and BYC version is much easier to understand. Thomas Hardware did not influence the writing of them. The new regulations were not designed to make more money for Saildry or any other Bayview member. They were written to make this race better and safe for the competitors.

Cariguy... cool off... there's a joke in there that you missed...

#646 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:55 PM

DG

Now lets talk about J120s in IRC.

Damn! I know it's cold outside but do you really want to jump IN a fire? hehehe ;-)

#647 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:55 PM

DG

Now lets talk about J120s in IRC.

How does IRC issue credit for cracks in the keels?

...uh oh.........

I had to say it.

DG

#648 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:30 AM

DG

If I was in it for the money, I wouldn't be in it.

And let's be clear: I might be slow, but I'm expensive.

#649 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,251 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:02 AM

Especially if the wage is beer... ;)

#650 Shorthanded

Shorthanded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:19 AM

Especially if the wage is beer... ;)

Did I just hear wager?

#651 Shorthanded

Shorthanded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:21 AM

...uh oh.........

I had to say it.

DG

I think Dickie needs to go sailing...real bad! Been a little cold up there, buddy?

#652 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:33 AM

I think Dickie needs to go sailing...real bad! Been a little cold up there, buddy?

Quite nice, actually. Tomorrow should be in the low 30's.... we are heading out for the 'skiing and suds' with some friends to do some XC skiing. So, we are making the best out of winter... yeah... gotta get out there and do some sailing. Just scheduled my splash date with Irish's this afternoon... 8 weeks to the day.... May 1st.

We've got tons of snow up here... makes me sad not to have a few snowmobiles in the garage this year... but, there is always next year.

Good times, SH.

DG

#653 7.9 sailor

7.9 sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts
  • Interests:7.9's, other OD, rigging, Great Lakes racing

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:21 AM

Go look now

thx (276)

#654 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:13 PM

Does anyone know why iOnEarth tracking devices weren't used for the CYC race?

DG

#655 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:33 PM

I asked Jen about this, and she said they simply ignored the rating hit they would normally assign for having all but 1 type of flare. Something about SOLAS... Probably not important. :unsure:

#656 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:04 PM

I asked Jen about this, and she said they simply ignored the rating hit they would normally assign for having all but 1 type of flare. Something about SOLAS... Probably not important. :unsure:

I received a certain type of 'credit' last year for those too.... they 'credited' my finishing time with a few more hours...

*drums* ba-dum-dum-dum.

DG

#657 HNL2ORD

HNL2ORD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:42 PM

DG

at least it is a change from FIS..Ion Earth was good but weren't they challenged by the Canada Cup?
What does BYC use? (too lazy to check)

#658 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:13 PM

at least it is a change from FIS..Ion Earth was good but weren't they challenged by the Canada Cup?
What does BYC use? (too lazy to check)

BYC is looking at the same company as CYC to make it easier for the competitors. Somebody needs to step up and sponsor the tracking, best exposure through number of hits by far.

#659 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:22 PM

DG

Yes.

#660 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

Yes.

...... and.....tell us why they weren't used....

#661 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

No.

#662 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:41 PM

But I will tell you that we put out a very detailed RFP to several vendors and we received several outstanding proposals, that covered many areas including technology, convenience, ease of installation, track record, ability to deliver 450 plus units, price, etc, etc, etc.

And for the cynics in the crowd the decision had nothing to do with blowjobs.

#663 Fuj

Fuj

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:44 PM

How about another bottle of champagne with each tracker? :lol:

#664 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,251 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:20 AM

But I will tell you that we put out a very detailed RFP to several vendors and we received several outstanding proposals, that covered many areas including technology, convenience, ease of installation, track record, ability to deliver 450 plus units, price, etc, etc, etc.

Hopefully the winning company doesn't use the same sat provider as Walmart during inventory time.... <_<

#665 JoeO

JoeO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:37 AM

Sounds like a failure of management to me then... ^_^

#666 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:04 PM

No.

Damn. I thought I'd be getting an adult answer.

It's just that they are a local company, and seem to have a fantastic product... now on the Alaskan Iditarod, etc.

You know... an answer something like 'they couldn't do it', or 'their technology wasn't what we were looking for', or 'they coudn't do it for our price', or 'they didn't send anything back in time'....

It's not fucking national security, or blowjobs, for that matter.

DG

#667 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:34 PM

Damn. I thought I'd be getting an adult answer.

It's just that they are a local company, and seem to have a fantastic product... now on the Alaskan Iditarod, etc.

You know... an answer something like 'they couldn't do it', or 'their technology wasn't what we were looking for', or 'they coudn't do it for our price', or 'they didn't send anything back in time'....

It's not fucking national security, or blowjobs, for that matter.

DG

I did give you an adult answer:

"But I will tell you that we put out a very detailed RFP to several vendors and we received several outstanding proposals, that covered many areas including technology, convenience, ease of installation, track record, ability to deliver 450 plus units, price, etc, etc, etc."

The proposals were confidential and it was a confidential process with lots of points to consider. They do have an outstanding product but based on the paritcular demands that our event will pose and when all factors were considered we selected a different vendor. The process was fair and professionally conducted. Disclosing the reasons and details on a public forum would not be and adult reponse, nor would telling you to mind your own fucking business, which I wouldn't do.

rew

#668 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:04 PM

I did give you an adult answer:

"But I will tell you that we put out a very detailed RFP to several vendors and we received several outstanding proposals, that covered many areas including technology, convenience, ease of installation, track record, ability to deliver 450 plus units, price, etc, etc, etc."

The proposals were confidential and it was a confidential process with lots of points to consider. They do have an outstanding product but based on the paritcular demands that our event will pose and when all factors were considered we selected a different vendor. The process was fair and professionally conducted. Disclosing the reasons and details on a public forum would not be and adult reponse, nor would telling you to mind your own fucking business, which I wouldn't do.

rew

The first one reminded me of a kid, holding matches behind his back... you know, something without any substance:

Mom: 'Whatcha got there?"
Kid: 'Something'
Mom: 'Can you tell me what it is?'
Kid: 'Sure'
Mom: 'And... what do you have?'

You know... the first question: 'Does anyone know why Ionearth wasn't selected?' Hell, REW, I needed to push you like a ten year old to get an answer.

The second answer told me what CYC asked for, and it still didn't answer my question....

The third actually said something.... 'it's confidential'.

Fine, we'll run with the 'confidential' response.

Thanks for playing around....

Jeesus... it was a simple question.

DG

#669 HNL2ORD

HNL2ORD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:24 PM

You know... the first question: 'Does anyone know why Ionearth wasn't selected?' Hell, REW, I needed to push you like a ten year old to get an answer.

The second answer told me what CYC asked for, and it still didn't answer my question....

The third actually said something.... 'it's confidential'.

Fine, we'll run with the 'confidential' response.

Thanks for playing around....

Jeesus... it was a simple question.

DG

Frankly, I can completely understand why REW did not disclose all the bidders shortcomings in a place like this. It would be hugely unprofessional but since Ion earth was part of the process, I bet they know why and as a local TC company, they might discuss it with you if you care that much. The fact that FIS who has been a long time sponsor (and CYC member) is no longer doing the tracking, leads me to believe that some very serious thought was given to the possibility of change, the RFP and the ultimate selection. One imagines that nothing is forever and if Ionearth builds a "better mousetrap" they can try again. As far as I am concerned, my personal favorite is the group that does the S2H-they set a pretty high bar but maybe they couldn't do 450 boats...or perhaps they didn't care to.
Just my .02

#670 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:53 PM

As far as I am concerned, my personal favorite is the group that does the S2H-they set a pretty high bar but maybe they couldn't do 450 boats...or perhaps they didn't care to.
Just my .02

I have been working with the Mac Races (going way back to 1995) and have been following these tracking units/companies since the early 2000. Yes, those guys that do the Sydney-Hobart have been doing an exceptional job for the last few years and I'm sure they could easily handle 450 boats. That is not not so much the issue there as much as the cost, logistics, support, etc for them to be involved with one of our races. Remember that outside the USA, these events are heavily sponsored and supported so there's funding to cover the cost of tracking and development (web site) and all collateral expenses.

A tracking project is not an cheap deal. These units aren't as expensive anymore but satellite time is still fairly priced. Add support, development, etc to the cost. I remember back in 2000 or so, some of the companies wanted somewhere in the neighborhood of $800-$900 per boat to do the tracking. Nowadays, you can find them in the $200/per. Add up the number of boats and you can get a feel for what it costs.

LZ

#671 HNL2ORD

HNL2ORD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:24 AM

I had no idea of that cost...we all become so blase' about technology these days..point, click and go from here to Oz, Singapore, Dubai and back. Like SA-always on, but how and how much it costs is beyond my realm of knowledge.

#672 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,495 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:05 AM

Dickie:

FIS - Hunk of crap.
IonEarth - Quality and features commensurate with price...
Iboats - Neither very good, nor very expensive.

Just my 0.02.

IonEarth signed a multi-year deal with the Iditarod. They are going about the whole tracking thing in a brilliant way, and I doubt they'll have much time to develop their yacht race tracking too much this year as they will be very busy with more sled dog stuff and lots of off road racing. Check out http://www.iditarod.com/ to see some serious dollars and some very good coverage of a sailboat length race that commands some real sponsor power.

Disclaimer: IonEarth guys are friends - though the reason we became friends is that I was bowled over by their tracker and invited the inventor to Toronto with us, where we became friends.

#673 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,251 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:22 PM

I had no idea of that cost...we all become so blase' about technology these days..point, click and go from here to Oz, Singapore, Dubai and back. Like SA-always on, but how and how much it costs is beyond my realm of knowledge.

The prices have come down as LZ says, but the hardware is still evolving pretty rapidly, which means frequent refreshes and purchases of new transponders, and sat time is still not cheap. There is a whole lot happening behind the scene to provide good information in a user friendly interface on a timely basis. When it all comes together well, we tend to forgot how much is involved and the people busting their asses on the back end.

#674 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,495 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:31 PM

The prices have come down as LZ says, but the hardware is still evolving pretty rapidly, which means frequent refreshes and purchases of new transponders, and sat time is still not cheap. There is a whole lot happening behind the scene to provide good information in a user friendly interface on a timely basis. When it all comes together well, we tend to forgot how much is involved and the people busting their asses on the back end.

While the prices for the base components have come down a lot, the tracking companies have mostly been listening to sailor input, and realizing that big, clunky, bad battery life, slow updating, unidirectional are all probably things of the past in sat telemetry. Units that are the opposite of all this are still very expensive, and to build 450 of them is a massive commitment.

I also want to remind you guys something - SA blew out IonEarth's server at one point, and we fried Kattack's as well during KWRW. While the problems were traced to software issues, big viewer numbers have a way of finding those issues. Keep the numbers in mind when you think of this: SA, the world's most popular sailing website, set its highest-ever simultaneous viewer numbers NOT during Key West - but during the '07 Chicago-Mackinac race, when thousands of SA'ers were still on the water.

The sponsors have no idea how many people are going to be watching this shit. None.

#675 Callahan

Callahan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:43 PM

First off, huge thanks to REW and all the other volunteers who make the MAC the event that it is. Just curious to know which company won so that I can check the specs for the unit. Again, thanks to all the MAC volunteers.

#676 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

Tommy Boy,

Since the installation instructions are readily available on the CYC Mack web site - see link on the web site (www.chicagoyachtclub.org/racetomackinac/) under "Documents" - it is no secret that iBoatTrack (www.iboattrack.com) will be doing the tracking for the Chi-Mac. This is the same company that did the tracking for the 100th Newport-Bermuda in 2006 and many other events. The units are self-contained, battery-operated trackers measuring approx. 6.5” x 9.25” x 1” (size of a small notebook) and weigh about two pounds.

iBoatTrack is a division of Horizon Marine - www.horizonmarine.com - and their core business is Satellite tracking. They do a ton of tracking work with the Marine industry in tracking ocean currents around the world. "They have designed small, lightweight, air-deployable drifting buoys, enabling the Eddy Watch service. We deploy scores of these GPS buoys in significant ocean currents every month." (from their site).

Over the years in my tracking research, I have communicated a lot with these guys and worked closely with them in setting things up on the web for CYC - and hopefully for BYC as well (anyone want to sponsor it?).

Any questions, let me know.

LZ

#677 ivan basso

ivan basso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:55 PM

my old team is doing some cool race tracking

CSC

#678 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:58 PM

CSC

Unfortunately one of these systems - and many others around - will not work for our races.

They have been doing tracking on cycling, running and many other events for a number of years. A lot of these systems use cell based or proximity (magnetic carpets hard wired, in the case of runners) to transmit data to a server.

Unfortunately there's no cell coverage in the middle of the lake so data transmissions can only be done "vertically" or straight up to a satellite (sure, Sat-Phones would work but you wouldn't want that bill!).

In the case of your cycling team, CSC is apparently using T-Mobile's network to transfer/transmit data and that would be GPS and general packet radio service (GPRS) technologies. From their site: "Tagged riders and cars will carry extremely compact 80-gram GPS/GPRS trackers, which will communicate data through the T-Mobile GSM network.". That is a lot like carrying a small version of a cell phone which would have a receiver (for the GPS) and cell phone based transmitter (for the data upload - GPRS).

These systems are readily available and are pretty inexpensive to use. Sat based systems are not yet there.

#679 RATM

RATM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:My Grandchildren

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:01 PM

CSC

Hey Ivan (or should I call you Barillo),

Do you think I can gain a sailing advantage from Dr. Fuentes?

Let me know, I hope blood doping doesn't impact my PHRF rating

#680 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:03 AM

Just finished setting preliminary one design sections:

http://www.chicagoya...atchbyclass.cfm

150 total one designs including 39 T10's

#681 12345

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:01 AM

Only 7 F40's Thought there would be more... nice none the less.

#682 CW.

CW.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:11 AM

The intent is for cruising to be one 40 boat division? Just curious, don't have an opinion one way or the other.

#683 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:17 AM

The intent is for cruising to be one 40 boat division? Just curious, don't have an opinion one way or the other.

Reading interpretation 101:

"Just finished setting preliminary one design sections..."

Get it?

#684 CW.

CW.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:21 AM

Get it?

Yup - see, I read the safety instructions very carefully, but not REW's post.

#685 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:27 AM

Get it?

Damn! We've got one hell of an ORR division too!!! :lol:

#686 Shorthanded

Shorthanded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:53 AM

Now this one is good:
Section: Turbo / Unassigned Division Sail number Boat Name Yacht Make Length Club ORR AP ORR OW US 40633 Shannara Sabre 36 36 Chicago Yacht Club

Perhaps one of the practice entries?

#687 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:55 AM

There will be at least 2 cruising sections, 2 multihull sections and ???? ORR sections. No attempt will be made to split it until ratings are in.

#688 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:57 AM

Now this one is good:
Section: Turbo / Unassigned Division Sail number Boat Name Yacht Make Length Club ORR AP ORR OW US 40633 Shannara Sabre 36 36 Chicago Yacht Club

Perhaps one of the practice entries?

No, just some mope that pissed me off.......where's Dickie G?

#689 Shorthanded

Shorthanded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:00 AM

No, just some mope that pissed me off.......where's Dickie G?

So DG traded up tp a Sabre36? Good for him! He finally got rid of that POS 36.7....

#690 CW.

CW.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:32 AM

There will be at least 2 cruising sections, 2 multihull sections and ???? ORR sections. No attempt will be made to split it until ratings are in.

Cool - thanks

#691 Irishdriver

Irishdriver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:50 AM

Hey REW,

Do you and your partner still have Cheekee Monkee? I remember what happened in Florida, just womdering what is the latest-

ID

BTW, thanks for all your efforts and work on the Mac race!

#692 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:55 AM

Hey REW,

Do you and your partner still have Cheekee Monkee? I remember what happened in Florida, just womdering what is the latest-

ID

BTW, thanks for all your efforts and work on the Mac race!

I still own the Monkee, and bought my partner out last month. Had a very successful season in '07 after rebuilding the boat and looking forward to '08.

#693 eclipse5499

eclipse5499

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:21 PM

So I noticed USSailing took my money. Does any one know when I will get my rating? The sooner I get it, the sooner I can start complaining!

#694 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:43 PM

So I noticed USSailing took my money. Does any one know when I will get my rating? The sooner I get it, the sooner I can start complaining!

They are finlizing some VPP changes and hope to start sending certificates this week, but wait until you actually receive yours to complain... ;)

#695 40048

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:43 PM

wait until you actually receive yours to complain...

Oh PUH-LEEZE. That is NOT how we do it round here.

#696 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:48 PM

Your rating probably sucks. Start complaining now.

#697 eclipse5499

eclipse5499

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:15 PM

Your rating probably sucks. Start complaining now.

I know the crew certainly does :lol:

#698 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:50 PM

I know the crew certainly does :lol:

That comment reminds of some of the strangest phrases...

"Honestly, we're not sure why the skipper wasn't clipped in. He should have been."
"We've got no idea why he wouldn't have a CO2 cartridge in his inflateable. He must have forgot."
"Will our finish time still count? We did recover the body."
"Seriously, we only started with five. We have no idea why his things were still on the boat."
"We get salvage rights, don't we?"
"Sure his credit card is still valid. It's not like he's dead. Technically he's only missing"

#699 SkippyChick

SkippyChick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:53 AM

While the prices for the base components have come down a lot, the tracking companies have mostly been listening to sailor input, and realizing that big, clunky, bad battery life, slow updating, unidirectional are all probably things of the past in sat telemetry. Units that are the opposite of all this are still very expensive, and to build 450 of them is a massive commitment.

I also want to remind you guys something - SA blew out IonEarth's server at one point, and we fried Kattack's as well during KWRW. While the problems were traced to software issues, big viewer numbers have a way of finding those issues. Keep the numbers in mind when you think of this: SA, the world's most popular sailing website, set its highest-ever simultaneous viewer numbers NOT during Key West - but during the '07 Chicago-Mackinac race, when thousands of SA'ers were still on the water.

The sponsors have no idea how many people are going to be watching this shit. None.

Clean: FYI, back to IonEarth for a moment...Jerry Miller of IonEarth appeared in a story about tracking the Iditarod on the Today Show this morning. Pretty exciting coverage for Jerry and IonEarth!

Subject: msnbc.com video: Iditarod tracking goes online

Iditarod tracking goes online

March 3: Iditarod fans and race officials can now track 15 mushers in real-time via GPS. KTUU's Megan Baldino reports.

http://www.msnbc.msn...449669#23449669

#700 ockam-nokam

ockam-nokam

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:01 AM

Clean: FYI, back to IonEarth for a moment...Jerry Miller of IonEarth appeared in a story about tracking the Iditarod on the Today Show this morning. Pretty exciting coverage for Jerry and IonEarth!

Subject: msnbc.com video: Iditarod tracking goes online
Iditarod tracking goes online

March 3: Iditarod fans and race officials can now track 15 mushers in real-time via GPS. KTUU's Megan Baldino reports.

http://www.msnbc.msn...449669#23449669

Since you have not been welcomed properly noobie duchbag - SHOW US YOUR TITS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users