43 replies to this topic

#1 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:21 PM

I just got a Boatpix letter offering pictures of my 4KSB. I have to let them "pre-authorize" some unstated amount on my credit card, they will then mail me some number of 16x20 prints, and then charge me for the ones they don't get back in 10 days. HELLO - Some dumbass record and tape club from the 1970s called and wants their business model back!

W - T - F ??????????

I *might* have been interested if I could go to a website and see what I am paying for. It is exceedingly easy to make it so the pictures are unusable for anything bigger than an avatar but still let you see them. There are also some terms like you can't use the pictures for any commercial purpose. Hey clueless - if I actually was dumb enough to let you pre-charge my card I will do exactly what I want with them.

I have a nice gyro stabilized long lens on order. Next race around Annapolis just might find me flying over the race and selling pictures for 1/2 of whatever Boatpix charges - and you could see them first :P :P :P

#2 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,689 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:25 PM

Hey, if it works for Walmart,................

#3 FDer

FDer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:26 PM

Not this again...

#4 Teddy

Teddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:44 PM

I just got a Boatpix letter offering pictures of my 4KSB. I have to let them "Prue-authorize" some unstated amount on my credit card, they will then mail me some number of Cox prints, and then charge me for the ones they don't get back in 10 days. HELLO - Some dumb ass record and tape club from the 1970s called and wants their business model back!

W - T - F ??????????

I *might* have been interested if I could go to a website and see what I am paying for. It is exceedingly easy to make it so the pictures are unusable for anything bigger than an avatar but still let you see them. There are also some terms like you can't use the pictures for any commercial purpose. Hey clueless - if I actually was dumb enough to let you pre-charge my card I will do exactly what I want with them.

I have a nice gyro stabilized long lens on order. Next race around Annapolis just might find me flying over the race and selling pictures for 1/2 of whatever Boatpix charges - and you could see them first :P :P :P

This smacks of the people that want to restrict what is available on TV. If you don't like the content. Don't watch it. If you don't like Walmart or Saks for their layout or merchandise, don't shop there.

I've met the guy that owns Boatpix, he's just a businessman. His model has worked for years. Maybe it might be constructive for you to contact him directly and tell him, you would like to do business with him in a more modern manner. If enough people tell him, he can evolve with the times, like Wilkes, BoatingShots, Greene or Karen Hirsch, or he can fade away. Bitching to us about this again doesn't do any good.

Ted

#5 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:10 PM

Bitching to us about this again doesn't do any good.

yes it does - he regularly reads and spams here

#6 Teddy

Teddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:23 PM

yes it does - he regularly reads and spams here

What's his nom de plume?

#7 Chuck L

Chuck L

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:28 PM

"boatpix"

#8 Teddy

Teddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:41 PM

"boatpix"

Duh!

#9 BeerDidClam

BeerDidClam

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • Interests:algebra. pyrotechnics. greyhound racing.

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:42 PM

Not to be confused with Heli-photo
http://www.heli-photo.org/
who does great work without the hassles.
(no affiliaiton here, just bought a shot from Randy after Screwpile)

#10 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:45 AM

SA would be quite boring if no one talked about anything they didn't like.
I had heard the stories about BoatPix before and figured there had to be some exaggeration built in. Then like magic this letter shows up from them and I couldn't believe what I was reading. It was like it was screaming SCAM SCAM SCAM - we will send you a ton of pictures and if ANYTHING goes wrong in returning them we will rape you. The funniest part is if the photo is what I think it is I would have a thrilling photo of my boat under motor while we are all under the sun awning :huh:

This smacks of the people that want to restrict what is available on TV. If you don't like the content. Don't watch it. If you don't like Walmart or Saks for their layout or merchandise, don't shop there.

I've met the guy that owns Boatpix, he's just a businessman. His model has worked for years. Maybe it might be constructive for you to contact him directly and tell him, you would like to do business with him in a more modern manner. If enough people tell him, he can evolve with the times, like Wilkes, BoatingShots, Greene or Karen Hirsch, or he can fade away. Bitching to us about this again doesn't do any good.

Ted

#11 Emu

Emu

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:09 AM

I don't think XVVVIII works as a roman numeral. It would sorta be 28, but I think that would be XXVIII. Is that what you meant?

Maybe this is off topic.

#12 sailone

sailone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:37 AM

W - T - F ??????????

I *might* have been interested if I could go to a website and see what I am paying for.

You can go to their gallery and see the pictures dumbass! You might want to read the ten other threads on how to do it, or just type your sail number in on the left.

#13 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:44 AM

You can go to their gallery and see the pictures dumbass! You might want to read the ten other threads on how to do it, or just type your sail number in on the left.

you work for them too?

#14 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:09 PM

Really?
The Boatpix site has NO search feature for thumbnails I can find.
By searching threads here I found www.sailingpix.com, which seems to be another front for boatpix. They do have SOME thumbnails of a FEW events, but not anything that I would have been in. They also have a search feature that doesn't work. For what they charge for the files ($500 and up) I can easily get as many aerial shots of my boat as the memory card in my camera can hold anyway!

Attached Files

#15 sailone

sailone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:30 PM

you work for them too?

No, I hate them more then you do. But I do know how to get pictures from there site

#16 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:00 PM

Good - then you can post it here and if it works I will admit to being a dumbass.

No, I hate them more then you do. But I do know how to get pictures from there site

#17 sailone

sailone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:24 PM

Good - then you can post it here and if it works I will admit to being a dumbass.

Boatpix Gallery Click on any regatta. Then type in your sail number (or USCG Doc #/REG #) and click enter. When that doesn't work it will bring you to the main search page. Try the above again. If that doesn't work email the guy and ask him.

#18 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:31 PM

OK - YOU get the dumbass award. The photo is not in ANY of those regattas as I stated earlier.
Also note that the gallery doesn't link off the main page.

We post some photos online from events where we would have told you to "go online." If you have not been told to "go online" we will send you out pictures the traditional way we have used since 1981. We send you 16"x20" color photos in a tube and you simply buy those your wish to keep and return others within 10 days by a traceable carrier. A color 8"x10" photo from the helicopter is $100.

Glad to know an 8x10 is $100, but then again that isn't what you are sending!

Boatpix Gallery Click on any regatta. Then type in your sail number (or USCG Doc #/REG #) and click enter. When that doesn't work it will bring you to the main search page. Try the above again. If that doesn't work email the guy and ask him.

#19 Boatpix

Boatpix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:36 AM

OK - YOU get the dumbass award. The photo is not in ANY of those regattas as I stated earlier.

We post some photos online from events where we would have told you to "go online." If you have not been told to "go online" we will send you out pictures the traditional way we have used since 1981. We send you 16"x20" color photos in a tube and you simply buy those your wish to keep and return others within 10 days by a traceable carrier. A color 8"x10" photo from the helicopter is $100.

BOATPIX SPEAKS: The 2009 Figawi Pictures are up at www.BOATDIX.com/gallery. I might add that so are the Key West and Mackinac Races, too. IF ANYONE HAS COMMENTS THERE IS A SECTION TO ADD COMENTS AND A SECTION TO ADD EVENTS TO OUR ROSTER AND WE'LL BRING A HELICOPTER TO YOU! TOM MCDERMOTT 561-346-DICK IT'S STRAIGHTFORWARD TO CONTACT US AND YOU'LL FIND THAT WE USUALLY LISTEN.

#20 McShrimpton

McShrimpton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:sailing, drinking, shitflinging and general asshatery

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:51 AM

are you shouting over the noise of the helicopter Tom?

#21 Shife

Shife

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:58 AM

BOATPIX SPEAKS: The 2009 Figawi Pictures are up at www.BOATDIX.com/gallery. I might add that so are the Key West and Mackinac Races, too. IF ANYONE HAS COMMENTS THERE IS A SECTION TO ADD COMENTS AND A SECTION TO ADD EVENTS TO OUR ROSTER AND WE'LL BRING A HELICOPTER TO YOU! TOM MCDERMOTT 561-346-COCK IT'S STRAIGHTFORWARD TO CONTACT US AND YOU'LL FIND THAT WE USUALLY LISTEN.

Here's a comment:

If you can't learn to take a fucking photo without hovering directly over our boat, then please stay away from the pretty sailboats. If it wasn't for the credit report fiascos, your insistance of disrupting a boat's air, and your stupid "I'll send you pics in a tube for you to review" bullshit, you'd probably get a lot more of the sailing community's business.

BTW... I know of at least one other heli-instructor who thinks you're a douche, and that your business model is douchebaggery at its finest.

#22 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:30 PM

Business slow - must be why are you spamming all the "I HATE BOATPIX" threads.
Here is a clue to the clueless -
If you want to sell a photo - make a free one like this. Too small too be used for much and too much text to be photoshopped very easily, but you can still see what you are buying.

BOATPIX SPEAKS: The 2009 Figawi Pictures are up at www.BOATDIX.com/gallery. I might add that so are the Key West and Mackinac Races, too. IF ANYONE HAS COMMENTS THERE IS A SECTION TO ADD COMENTS AND A SECTION TO ADD EVENTS TO OUR ROSTER AND WE'LL BRING A HELICOPTER TO YOU! TOM MCDERMOTT 561-346-COCK IT'S STRAIGHTFORWARD TO CONTACT US AND YOU'LL FIND THAT WE USUALLY LISTEN.

Attached Files

#23 ALittleLoose

ALittleLoose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Blah blah blah

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:42 PM

exactly what happened to me ..... only documented return or you are screwed.

IF (big if) I ever did business with boatpix again, I would have to find a way to ensure the number and size of photos returned as well as the shipping method or they can screw you that way as well. "No, there was only on photo in the tube instead of six, you owe us $900"

#24 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:30 PM

Declare the contents to be 6 photos worth $500 each and insure them.
Now why anyone in this day and age of the interwebs would take part in such a lame business process is way beyond me...........

exactly what happened to me ..... only documented return or you are screwed.

IF (big if) I ever did business with boatpix again, I would have to find a way to ensure the number and size of photos returned as well as the shipping method or they can screw you that way as well. "No, there was only on photo in the tube instead of six, you owe us $900"

#25 HobieAnarchy

HobieAnarchy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

BOATPIX SPEAKS: The 2009 Figawi Pictures are up at www.BOATPIX.com/gallery. I might add that so are the Key West and Mackinac Races, too. IF ANYONE HAS COMMENTS THERE IS A SECTION TO ADD COMENTS AND A SECTION TO ADD EVENTS TO OUR ROSTER AND WE'LL BRING A HELICOPTER TO YOU! TOM MCDERMOTT 561-346-2816 IT'S STRAIGHTFORWARD TO CONTACT US AND YOU'LL FIND THAT WE USUALLY LISTEN.

Here's a comment:

If you can't learn to take a fucking photo without hovering directly over our boat, then please stay away from the pretty sailboats. If it wasn't for the credit report fiascos, your insistance of disrupting a boat's air, and your stupid "I'll send you pics in a tube for you to review" bullshit, you'd probably get a lot more of the sailing community's business.

BTW... I know of at least one other heli-instructor who thinks you're a douche, and that your business model is douchebaggery at its finest.

Damn, Shife. :blink: Tell us what you really think.

#26 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,734 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:22 PM

BOATPIX SPEAKS: The 2009 Figawi Pictures are up at www.BOATPIX.com/gallery. I might add that so are the Key West and Mackinac Races, too. IF ANYONE HAS COMMENTS THERE IS A SECTION TO ADD COMENTS AND A SECTION TO ADD EVENTS TO OUR ROSTER AND WE'LL BRING A HELICOPTER TO YOU! TOM MCDERMOTT 561-346-2816 IT'S STRAIGHTFORWARD TO CONTACT US AND YOU'LL FIND THAT WE USUALLY LISTEN.

Your website sucks.
The end.

#27 my nuts

my nuts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:25 PM

speaking of business models, what is the cost of printing multiple 16x20s and shipping (and then trashing) them vs the cost of watermarking and posting on a website? seems like a waste of resources, which is kinda uncool in these days of being "green", which applies to many sailors. also, have you worked out a model to determine whether increasing access and decreasing costs will result in increased revenue? I assume that there is some fixed price that needs to be met for a given regatta, perhaps having digital photos available at the tent with an option to pre-order prints would be a good idea. people are a lot looser with their wallets after a few beers/rum drinks.

it is great that the business model has existed since 1981, which predates much of modern photographic and communication technology. the history of business is littered with companies who don't adapt to new technologies. anyone remember when Motorola used to own the cell phone market?

as an aside, helicopters flying low and close to boats during light-air days should be subjected to flare gun target practice. get a better telephoto lens. it's not like there's any exciting movement happening on boats when it is blowing 3kts.

that's my 0.02

#28 DDW

DDW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

Why don't you order up the pictures, take them to a nearby Kinkos and scan them at high res, then send them back for a full refund? Dishonest? Yeah, maybe....

But one thing that rankles my ass is that most of these photographers sell you only the print, not the negative and not the content. That is BS. For example if you hire Billy Black to take pictures of your boat for something like $1200 a day plus all expenses, what you get is essentially a print. In my opinion, this is work for hire, and the product of that work is MINE. I own the negative, I own the content, and he owns nothing but memories.

Only photographers and architects expect this deal. As an engineer when I designed something, I didn't get to keep it - it belonged to whoever hired me, they could duplicate it, sell it, take a crap on it - it was theirs.

Oh, yeah, and to preempt the comments, negative means celluloid or RAW file or whatever.

#29 JJ-

JJ-

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:14 PM

Why don't you order up the pictures, take them to a nearby Kinkos and scan them at high res, then send them back for a full refund? Dishonest? Yeah, maybe....

But one thing that rankles my ass is that most of these photographers sell you only the print, not the negative and not the content. That is BS. For example if you hire Billy Black to take pictures of your boat for something like $1200 a day plus all expenses, what you get is essentially a print. In my opinion, this is work for hire, and the product of that work is MINE. I own the negative, I own the content, and he owns nothing but memories.

Only photographers and architects expect this deal. As an engineer when I designed something, I didn't get to keep it - it belonged to whoever hired me, they could duplicate it, sell it, take a crap on it - it was theirs.

Oh, yeah, and to preempt the comments, negative means celluloid or RAW file or whatever.

I agree that BoatPix's business model is a throwback to an age where everything was on paper--and it's extortive. That being said, however, here's the skinny on ownership of photographs, architectural drawings and other creative work. Unless there is a written agreement stating it's a work made for hire, or unless you regularly employ the person (as a W2 employee) to create such works, the copyright always belongs to the photographer/architect/writer/artist, etc. If you want ownership of the work, and not just ownership of a copy (with an implied license to display it), you will likely pay substantially more than the single-copy price.

I have never done business with BoatPix, and likely will not, even though they have taken some good pictures of our boat. But they, and BoatingShots, Molly, etc. are within their right (established by the U.S. Constitution) to retain ownership of their creative output.

JJ

#30 my nuts

my nuts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:48 PM

I agree that BoatPix's business model is a throwback to an age where everything was on paper--and it's extortive. That being said, however, here's the skinny on ownership of photographs, architectural drawings and other creative work. Unless there is a written agreement stating it's a work made for hire, or unless you regularly employ the person (as a W2 employee) to create such works, the copyright always belongs to the photographer/architect/writer/artist, etc. If you want ownership of the work, and not just ownership of a copy (with an implied license to display it), you will likely pay substantially more than the single-copy price.

I have never done business with BoatPix, and likely will not, even though they have taken some good pictures of our boat. But they, and BoatingShots, Molly, etc. are within their right (established by the U.S. Constitution) to retain ownership of their creative output.

JJ

I'm not a constitutional scholar, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't address IP issues directly.

#31 JJ-

JJ-

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:20 PM

I'm not a constitutional scholar, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't address IP issues directly.

It's in Article I (the Congress), Section 8:

The Congress shall have Power *** To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.

Doesn't change the fact that Boatpix has an extortive business model.

JJ

#32 my nuts

my nuts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:01 PM

It's in Article I (the Congress), Section 8:

The Congress shall have Power *** To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.

Doesn't change the fact that Boatpix has an extortive business model.

JJ

I stand corrected.

the business model may or may not be extrotive, based upon your frame of reference. if we look at boatpix's comment above that their business is based upon 1981 technology, then it makes sense, however, based in the advances in digital photography and editing, and the increase in communication technology availability and bandwidth, it makes very little sense in the present environment. there are very solid arguments against this model from the perspective of PR, marketing, cost, waste, accessibility, etc. and no argument offered in the affirmative other than that the model has existed since 1981.

#33 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,961 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:47 PM

I'm at a loss here

I noticed all the Boatpix threads floating to the top

so I popped a bag of corn and made a Rum & Coke before checking it out

Only to find it was BP him self who bumped all the Boatpix bashing to the top again ??????

Gaytor is smarter than that

I called Boatpix after the Newport to Ensenada and was sorry I had called

don't know who I spoke to but after a week they said the photographer had not returned yet ??

I won't go into the conversation but I will say it left me not wanting to call again - like calling an impound lot about getting your car back

#34 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:18 PM

Business must be really slow for this douche nozzle, who has been rude as hell to both Mer and I up in Mackinac, as has the ugly broad that works for him. Smart.

#35 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,961 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:30 PM

Business must be really slow for this douche nozzle, who has been rude as hell to both Mer and I up in Mackinac, as has the ugly broad that works for him. Smart.

I didn't say how the phone call went ....................... did I :blink: :unsure:

guess they just like to have that "Rude Edge" :o :o <_<

#36 NACRADUDE

NACRADUDE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts
  • Interests:Various women, various boats, and various states of consciousness.

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

I have to throw a flag on this one.

If I design a 30 story building in bumfuck Texas and place my Professional Engineering stamp on it, by law you do not have the right to build another 30 story building in shitbang Iowa from my drawings. I would sue the living shit out of someone who did that with my proprietary property and I would own a developer for fucking with my career. Not only would the building be fucked because of different climate areas but would put my professional reputation and my Errors and Omission insurance in jeopardy. I have on occasion designed chain restaurants back in my younger days that paid an additional fee to be able to mass produce the building in different locations after consulting with me as to the proper calculations. That is the only time that has ever been allowed, period.

#37 DDW

DDW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:44 PM

I have to throw a flag on this one.

If I design a 30 story building in bumfuck Texas and place my Professional Engineering stamp on it, by law you do not have the right to build another 30 story building in shitbang Iowa from my drawings. I would sue the living shit out of someone who did that with my proprietary property and I would own a developer for fucking with my career. Not only would the building be fucked because of different climate areas but would put my professional reputation and my Errors and Omission insurance in jeopardy. I have on occasion designed chain restaurants back in my younger days that paid an additional fee to be able to mass produce the building in different locations after consulting with me as to the proper calculations. That is the only time that has ever been allowed, period.

There are times when there is good reason to limit the application of work. There are times when there is no good reason. Boat photography for the most part is one of the latter. They do it because they can get away with it. There is nothing inherently more creative in taking a photograph, than there is in designing a machine part; in fact, in many cases taking a photograph is less creative. Hell these days you just hold the button down and sort through the 100 or so pictures looking for a good one.

I'm not saying I would take your building design and build 20 of them IF the understanding when you were hired was that it was good for only one building. What I AM saying is that I will not hire a photographer who would not give me unfettered and unrestricted access to the negative.

The ownership of work is a matter of contract law. Just because you are an artist commissioned to do some work, doesn't mean you automatically retain ownership. It depends on how the commission is written. Just like when I design something for someone that is patented, while my name appears on the patent as inventor, that says nothing about who owns the patent.

#38 JJ-

JJ-

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:06 PM

The ownership of work is a matter of contract law. Just because you are an artist commissioned to do some work, doesn't mean you automatically retain ownership. It depends on how the commission is written. Just like when I design something for someone that is patented, while my name appears on the patent as inventor, that says nothing about who owns the patent.

You are correct, as far as it goes. If you enter into a written contract with the photographer that specifies that the resulting image will be a work made for hire (those are words of independent legal significance), then you DO have all of the rights of ownership.

However, in the absence of such a contract, the result under the Copyright Act is the opposite. Without that language in a written contract before the work is created, the person commissioning the work does not own the copyright and has only a license to display his copy of the work for his own benefit. There are famous cases where a newspaper got dinged for posting articles sold by a freelancer for a print edition on the Internet , and at least one movie producer/distributor was sued successfully for "performing" a public sculpture in a movie (it was the backdrop for one of the scenes).

#39 Teddy

Teddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:25 PM

Guys,

Its like TV. If you don't like the show, don't watch it. This thread is a waste of electrons. IMHO.

T

#40 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:46 PM

Oh, it is a bit more than that. It is amusing if for no other reason than a business man chose to resurect a dead thread that does nothing but cast aspersions on his business. It is like booting himself in the nuts.

#41 Deed

Deed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:56 AM

BOATPIX SPEAKS: The 2009 Figawi Pictures are up at www.BOATDIX.com/gallery. I might add that so are the Key West and Mackinac Races, too. IF ANYONE HAS COMMENTS THERE IS A SECTION TO ADD COMENTS AND A SECTION TO ADD EVENTS TO OUR ROSTER AND WE'LL BRING A HELICOPTER TO YOU! TOM MCDERMOTT 561-346-DICK IT'S STRAIGHTFORWARD TO CONTACT US AND YOU'LL FIND THAT WE USUALLY LISTEN.

OK - did somebody edit that post, or did he really say The 2009 Figawi Pictures are up at www.BOATDIX.com/gallery . Too funny.

#42 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,950 posts
  • Interests:Hobie Miracle 20

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:07 AM

I don't think XVVVIII works as a roman numeral. It would sorta be 28, but I think that would be XXVIII. Is that what you meant?

Maybe this is off topic.

I agree. :blink:

#43 dde

dde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,957 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:25 AM

Maybe this is off topic.

I agree. :blink:

It's the stress the redundancy of the topic I think

#44 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:52 AM

There is nothing inherently more creative in taking a photograph, than there is in designing a machine part; in fact, in many cases taking a photograph is less creative. Hell these days you just hold the button down and sort through the 100 or so pictures looking for a good one.

Which is why it is very easy to hire any lesser known photographer for around $500/day with all ownership of the pictures to the client.

You may think that guys like Billy Black or Borlenghi aren't artists; that's your opinion. Fortunately for them, their families, their mortgages, and the hundreds of thousands of dollars they've spent on training, equipment, and experiential travel, lots of folks disagree.

I'm pretty sure that if you showed almost anyone a disc full of your best shots and a disc full of Borlenghi's mediocre ones, they'd be able to tell which are done by an artist.

Boatpix ain't an artist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users