#102 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:09 PM

Peter Conrad was pretty high strung back in the days when he and Tom Whidden ran Sobstad Sails together. Never sailed with Tom, but remember him at a house party, when he lost at a game of billiards, he threw the stick on the floor, grabbed Betsys hand and stormed out of the house, very funny!!!

#103 twister

twister

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:41 AM

Butch Ullmer.

Favorite B.U. quote, "My dead grandmother can trim better than that!"

#104 twister

twister

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:21 AM

I agree--he was a screamer---I did like sailing with him on the J35---we called him the albino bastard---

I forgot about Paul, a real kook. He had a J35? He popped somebody for waking him up for his watch on an overnight, afterward we openly called him Rocky Albino.

#105 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:52 AM

saw him on the receiving end of a good scream at the dock at the frantic one time and thus the crown must go to Hasso...

Which time? :lol:

Bobbo

#106 Stumblingthunder

Stumblingthunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:56 AM

Tampa Bay seemed teaming with home grown ones in the 80's. Most of them local sailmakers verbally flogging the crew on the IOR boats when SORC and FORA ruled the local waters. Some with high pitched voices that absolutely grated on your nerves, one other who stood out was a transplanted Aussie who would flip out over anything.

I had one in the 90's launch in to a tirade at KWRW after discovering that the boat had been moved to a different class Sunday night, and the crew member sent to check the board did not notice it. As a result, we did not get scored on Monday. He roasted all of us individually and collectively, then threw the cooler of beer and all of the liquour on our 'bunk yacht' into the basin. A local diver who dropped some lobsters off for us snuck into the water and retrieved the liquid gold after the 'skipper' left. Luckily, it was not I who was the fogged person who checked the board.

#107 Eventually

Eventually

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,017 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:34 AM

I agree--he was a screamer---I did like sailing with him on the J35---we called him the albino bastard---

I sailed with Simon (Eventually on this board) on Pauls' boat

didn't see this earlier Neil. If you recall this was where we met. Espo putting shit on me for no shoes. Rob chiming in with his 2 cents worth of instant ocker abuse. Good times. Good result. Calm PL.

I think what kept him quiet on the J35 was he was quite happy to be sailing with you blokes. Other than Bears Bonehead Blunder on the last beat it was a pretty good effort for a throw together crew and you have to give him credit for a good enough boat on the day.

What made PL scream and get the resultant flick from the rock spiders' boat post Rolex, was he was quite unhappy to be sailing against you mob and DeNegris (sp?). If you recall we nailed the long race and it was there for us for the taking in the next race after you blokes went 7 mins up the course and turned back after recognising your OCS...then caught us...the beginning of the melt...then beat us and the rest is history. What a freak..always imagined the bloke in a darkened room...with headless dolls.

oh yeah...who said go right?

#108 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:58 PM

for last name just look at the top of the protest form

Are you suggesting that Dave filed a lot of protests?

WTF?

#109 DogBalls

DogBalls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:23 PM

Bob Evelyn - hands down a nasty drunk off the water. Worse on the water.

Designed fast boats though

#110 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:37 PM

Bob Evelyn - hands down a nasty drunk off the water. Worse on the water.

Designed fast boats though

He could have been right up there with Johnstone, if he had a comparable marketing machine.

#111 Kenny Dumas

Kenny Dumas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:44 PM

Filled in driving for a friend in the last race of a spring series on a Santana 20 years ago (great little boats). His sister was great foredeck and she'd brought another friend along to trim. The dumb fuck falls over about 30 seconds before the start (cold water, colder air) and as I haul his ass out, she starts bitching at him "you fucking idiot..." He wants to call it a day but she puts him back on the sheets and tells him to shut up and trim. Poor guy freezes his ass off for a couple hour race and she's ragging on him every time he whines about it "shut the fuck up and trim"...

Damn, she had a fine ass though...

#112 beer_can_racer

beer_can_racer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:52 PM

I was asked to crew one time on the famed "Ricochet" out of detroit. Raced on it only once, and wanted to swim back to shore half way through the first leg.

so my nomination is for Dennis Turner

#113 IOR Fan

IOR Fan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:38 PM

It would be better if you left Ricochet out of it. The boat with Henry as owner was classic and certainly well respected.

Now, another question: Where is Dennis Turner?

#114 DogBalls

DogBalls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:15 PM

He could have been right up there with Johnstone, if he had a comparable marketing machine.

Yes, and the J44 class could be an evelyn 42 class assoc! Kidding!

#115 Prouda my Pickle Dish

Prouda my Pickle Dish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:32 PM

Filled in driving for a friend in the last race of a spring series on a Santana 20 years ago (great little boats). His sister was great foredeck and she'd brought another friend along to trim. The dumb fuck falls over about 30 seconds before the start (cold water, colder air) and as I haul his ass out, she starts bitching at him "you fucking idiot..." He wants to call it a day but she puts him back on the sheets and tells him to shut up and trim. Poor guy freezes his ass off for a couple hour race and she's ragging on him every time he whines about it "shut the fuck up and trim"...

Damn, she had a fine ass though...

If she did bow, you should have married her.

#116 suider

suider

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:26 PM

jeez, surprised none of the new england guys have thrown bear hovey's name out for consideration yet....

thankfully i never took the brunt of it, but he could yell a bit.....

and then there was a certain toronto skipper...... notorious, anyone? some horror stories there!!

although i sailed for him and, while a screamer for sure.... the recipient usually deserved it....

/c

#117 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:41 PM

jeez, surprised none of the new england guys have thrown bear hovey's name out for consideration yet....

and then there was a certain toronto skipper...... notorious, anyone? some horror stories there!!

although i sailed for him and, while a screamer for sure.... the recipient usually deserved it...
/c

Some of the Etchells guys I sail with have crewed with Bear, but that would be the pot calling the kettle black.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

#118 DogBalls

DogBalls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:37 AM

Some of the Etchells guys I sail with have crewed with Bear, but that would be the pot calling the kettle black.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bear is a great guy and friend. He would go 1000 miles out of his way to help you. He just gets a little tense on the water.

#119 Serge A. Storms

Serge A. Storms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:38 AM

Anyone around Annapolis ever race with the famous Mr. Muldoon on the infamous "DonnyBroke" by any chance? I know a lot of people around Annapolis who have sailed with him... once.

I did the Annapolis to Oxford race on that boat once- Mr. M was yelling at the crew literally before we left the dock- the keel was in the mud and we were all out on the end of the boom and we were already a "bunch of fuckin' idiots" because we couldn't get out on the boom any further. I should have bailed then...

Once on the course things only got worse. There was some breeze, and we had just finished setting the kite when he announces "We're gybing NOW!" and throws the boat into the turn. Bowman screaming to wait, we're not ready, but no delay from the driver. Pole dips, starts coming aft, bowman yelling at the trimmer not to pull the pole back any further, Muldoon yelling at the trimmer to "Pull the pole back NOW GODDAMMIT!!!" when it snaps against the babystay, skipper continues screaming as we clean up the mess,"You fucking idiots, that was a $20,000 mistake!!!" It was his mistake, if he'd have listened to the bowman and waited fifteen seconds it would have been fine...

A J-35 managed to death roll and drop it's rig ahead of us. This guy laughed at them like Nelson on the Simpsons. No concern or even a wave as we went by.

On the fetch up the Tred Avon we start passing the smaller boats to windward, not leaving nearly enough space. As they all get stood up, one masthead after another hits our jib. This must have happened a dozen times- he yelled at every single boat we did this to that they were in the wrong, what's their fuckin' problem, etc... Last I checked I windward boat had to keep clear- There was no explaining it to this guy.

By this time the captain (new hire, hadn't raced on the boat yet) was down below packing up his stuff and his laptop.

We cross the finish line and try to Med-moor in front of Tred Avon YC. Muldoon gets in a shouting match with a guy on a J-30 about how he is too close to the pier and "you're anchored in my spot so move that piece of shit" etc... This degenerates into "Fuck you!" "no, FUCK YOU!!' etc... This was in front of a bunch of kids at the yacht club, that had come down to the dock to check out the big boat that had just come in. Perfect audience, I'm sure he made a swell impression.

He puts the stern right on the dock and yells at us to drop the anchor. Of course there is no scope at all so it doesn't set, we pull it up, he's screaming and calling us a bunch of fucking morons because we don't know how to set an anchor properly. He actually motors the boat away from the pier, comes up on the bow and still yelling asks "don't you fuckin' assholes know how to set a fuckin' anchor?" One guy responds "Apparently not- do enlighten us." He says, "You gotta throw it!!!" like that would make a freakin' difference. He storms back to the cockpit, taking the opportunity to scream at the anchored boats we are drifting into.

We take another shot or two at it, and the first time the stern gets close enough to the dock the captain steps off and goes home. Classic. The next time a few more people jumped and finally a skeleton crew gets the boat anchored and we all bolted.

I have NEVER been witness to such a display of bad temper, ill will and poor sportsmanship in my life. A month or so later he is interviewed in some magazine about his goals at US Sailing and he is quoted saying a bunch of BS about "building the self-esteem of our young athletes" etc... Disgusting. I could have puked.

This guy deserves his own thread. Anyone else have a heartwarming story to share?

#120 suider

suider

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:44 AM

Bear is a great guy and friend. He would go 1000 miles out of his way to help you. He just gets a little tense on the water.

i would agree with the first two parts wholeheartedly.

would strongly agree with the third part. :lol:

i didn't take the thread as 'assholes on the water or in person' (as evidenced by the first person named)... simply yellers. and he is that!

/c

#121 Eventually

Eventually

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,017 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:00 AM

i didn't take the thread as 'assholes on the water or in person' (as evidenced by the first person named)... simply yellers. and he is that!

/c

ya just have to know how to shut the little facker up...splash. everything goes nice and quiet until he surfaces, shaking his fist and screaming as we sail away "Awww thats fucked...I'll never sail with yous guys again". he was right. no matter how much he begged....and it was a lot. he never did.

A reminder of our enduring love for his screaming was the airport rent a car incident shortly afterwards. Bear pulls a funny face when he looks at a gun. Swear he was about to cry. Even the phone calls were in a quiet tone after that.

Still...that was better than what the other famous jewish carpenter wanted to do to him.

love ya werk Bear!! He can drive it should be said. Gets lost but goes there quickly.

#122 OceanBien

OceanBien

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:19 PM

Yes grasshopper/newbie. Now fuck off...

BB,
16 posts a day average?
Do you work for the government?
Retired?
No life?
Just kidding, go for it and see if you can get the higest average.

#123 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:55 PM

BB,
16 posts a day average?
Do you work for the government?
Retired?
No life?
Just kidding, go for it and see if you can get the higest average.

Roger that!

#124 squidly

squidly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:22 PM

Anyone around Annapolis ever race with the famous Mr. Muldoon on the infamous "DonnyBroke" by any chance? I know a lot of people around Annapolis who have sailed with him... once.

I did the Annapolis to Oxford race on that boat once- Mr. M was yelling at the crew literally before we left the dock- the keel was in the mud and we were all out on the end of the boom and we were already a "bunch of fuckin' idiots" because we couldn't get out on the boom any further. I should have bailed then...

Once on the course things only got worse. There was some breeze, and we had just finished setting the kite when he announces "We're gybing NOW!" and throws the boat into the turn. Bowman screaming to wait, we're not ready, but no delay from the driver. Pole dips, starts coming aft, bowman yelling at the trimmer not to pull the pole back any further, Muldoon yelling at the trimmer to "Pull the pole back NOW GODDAMMIT!!!" when it snaps against the babystay, skipper continues screaming as we clean up the mess,"You fucking idiots, that was a $20,000 mistake!!!" It was his mistake, if he'd have listened to the bowman and waited fifteen seconds it would have been fine...

A J-35 managed to death roll and drop it's rig ahead of us. This guy laughed at them like Nelson on the Simpsons. No concern or even a wave as we went by.

On the fetch up the Tred Avon we start passing the smaller boats to windward, not leaving nearly enough space. As they all get stood up, one masthead after another hits our jib. This must have happened a dozen times- he yelled at every single boat we did this to that they were in the wrong, what's their fuckin' problem, etc... Last I checked I windward boat had to keep clear- There was no explaining it to this guy.

By this time the captain (new hire, hadn't raced on the boat yet) was down below packing up his stuff and his laptop.

We cross the finish line and try to Med-moor in front of Tred Avon YC. Muldoon gets in a shouting match with a guy on a J-30 about how he is too close to the pier and "you're anchored in my spot so move that piece of shit" etc... This degenerates into "Fuck you!" "no, FUCK YOU!!' etc... This was in front of a bunch of kids at the yacht club, that had come down to the dock to check out the big boat that had just come in. Perfect audience, I'm sure he made a swell impression.

He puts the stern right on the dock and yells at us to drop the anchor. Of course there is no scope at all so it doesn't set, we pull it up, he's screaming and calling us a bunch of fucking morons because we don't know how to set an anchor properly. He actually motors the boat away from the pier, comes up on the bow and still yelling asks "don't you fuckin' assholes know how to set a fuckin' anchor?" One guy responds "Apparently not- do enlighten us." He says, "You gotta throw it!!!" like that would make a freakin' difference. He storms back to the cockpit, taking the opportunity to scream at the anchored boats we are drifting into.

We take another shot or two at it, and the first time the stern gets close enough to the dock the captain steps off and goes home. Classic. The next time a few more people jumped and finally a skeleton crew gets the boat anchored and we all bolted.

I have NEVER been witness to such a display of bad temper, ill will and poor sportsmanship in my life. A month or so later he is interviewed in some magazine about his goals at US Sailing and he is quoted saying a bunch of BS about "building the self-esteem of our young athletes" etc... Disgusting. I could have puked.

This guy deserves his own thread. Anyone else have a heartwarming story to share?

When did this happen? There's gotta be some more good stories about this twat around......

I was racing with a guy when I first moved to TO that screamed so hard he popped a blood vessel in his eye.

- Funny thing was he was accusing a girl of delaminating the deck by jumping out of the companion way.
- Funny thing was she had gone down below to get him a sammy.
- Funny thing was I was dating his stepdaughter so couldn't jump off the boat.

Irony..

#125 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:32 PM

When did this happen? There's gotta be some more good stories about this twat around......
I was racing with a guy when I first moved to TO that screamed so hard he popped a blood vessel in his eye.

- Funny thing was he was accusing a girl of delaminating the deck by jumping out of the companion way.
- Funny thing was she had gone down below to get him a sammy.
- Funny thing was I was dating his stepdaughter so couldn't jump off the boat.

Irony..

There are a couple of anarchists who sailed on Donnybrooke for a year or two. Hopefully they'll check in - stories abound.

#126 Chiz

Chiz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:40 PM

My fav was not a skip of mine, but a husband/wife team sailing fireball in AB,CAN. both VERY good sailors, always sail in matching white painting coveralls. Every regatta you could hear "GODDAMMIT WOMAN! MOVE!" drifing across the water. Ah to be happily married

#127 foolishone

foolishone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

Favorite B.U. quote, "My dead grandmother can trim better than that!"

I've sailed with Butch for years. Snaggletooth also. They both ran off at the mouth a bit. There are yellers, and there are "laugh you balls off" yellers. Some you laugh with, some at. I won't tell you which is which.

Bye the bye, Doesn't Bob Monro get any kind of mention here? His mouth still won't quit!!!!!! Me, I'm Mr. calm.

#128 Mud sailor

Mud sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:20 PM

Saw a Tempest race up on Ullswater (Lake District in Northern England) Skipper and crew get into it, crew dives overboard to swim ashore (not that far) and leaves the skipper, with Kite up, blowing 15-20 and the end of the lake coming up rapidly.......

#129 blackbird

blackbird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

Sailed on "Immigrant" out of Annapolis back in the day. Bill could put together some of the most impressively scripted tirades. Lots and lots of swear words in there. Always grammatically correct. The British accent completed the package. I remember he once asked the bowman (his son) to "please step back here for a moment so I can punch you right in the f*cking mouth".

He was real polite about it.

I was going to nominate him. The best MacAteer I heard was when the Annapolis Fall series was the place to be. It was on the Sunday after the ORCA party and the skipper and crew were all feeling it. After a particularly bad jibe his Liverpudlian voice roared at the foredeck with the worst insult he could think of: "You're all sailing like a bunch of girls!"

#130 DogBalls

DogBalls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:12 PM

/c

To quote Bear "COME ON (insert name here)"

#131 OceanBien

OceanBien

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:51 AM

I was going to nominate him. The best MacAteer I heard was when the Annapolis Fall series was the place to be. It was on the Sunday after the ORCA party and the skipper and crew were all feeling it. After a particularly bad jibe his Liverpudlian voice roared at the foredeck with the worst insult he could think of: "You're all sailing like a bunch of girls!"

MacAteer was real fun to sail with. It's probably with him that I honed my sarchastic skills to use inuendo to humilate crews. Especially when they come on board as a self proclaimed expert only to realize that they're somewhere near the bottom of the ladder. I first started sailing with MacAteer when he had the Freres 48 (prior Tenacious), then the Dubois, and then I think he had a Farr. The times I sailed with Bill on both the Freres and the Dubois in the Caribbean was a gas! His sarchasm was epic and really brought the crew to a level of humility that got lots of laughs. I certainly thank MacAteer for taking me on as a nipper (or should I blame him for suffering a career in sailing?).!

#132 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,362 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:50 AM

Glad see muy 'friends' have"t begun to ignore me yet,

#133 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,927 posts
  • Interests:scallop mining and rudder fairing
    stair falling book cover mending

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:48 AM

the attorney from MDR

#134 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:34 AM

the attorney from MDR

shiny hair?

#135 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,927 posts
  • Interests:scallop mining and rudder fairing
    stair falling book cover mending

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:38 AM

black jacket faking PRI
red fish
yup, thats him

#136 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:09 PM

You guys are forgetting that, when sailing in a fog, and you can't find the mark, all you had to do was listen for the yelling.....

Also, the benfit of having to stay late until all the protests were over is that you had an better than usual excuse to come home late.

So, there was a benefit to all the yelling in the S35 class.

WTF?

#137 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:Psychoanalysis of dormant amoebas, underwater basket weaving, phlembology, political activism for alien sub-species, counting to twelve, making square blocks fit into round holes, yadda, yadda, yadda

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:26 PM

I used to sail against a guy named Sonny Tindel in the NA40s in their heyday. During mark roundings if he did not like what a particular crew member was doing he would get popped on the head with his clip board. It would get so distracting my crew would stare and forget their own jobs.

Assail! Those guys loved to party!

#138 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:Psychoanalysis of dormant amoebas, underwater basket weaving, phlembology, political activism for alien sub-species, counting to twelve, making square blocks fit into round holes, yadda, yadda, yadda

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:31 PM

I was asked to crew one time on the famed "Ricochet" out of detroit. Raced on it only once, and wanted to swim back to shore half way through the first leg.

so my nomination is for Dennis Turner

Denny always seemed pretty tame, from what I remember sailing against him on a C&C37. He is 5 ft nothin', so it's not like you couldn't take him.

#139 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:35 PM

I nominate Peter G. (posthumously) from North Sails. He pissed me off so much one time when he told the mastman to trip the pole when I was working the pointy end, almost knocked me off the boat. After I set the pole, I came back to the stern and tore him a new asshole. He was quiet the rest of the race.
God that SOB pissed me off when he was on the boat.

#140 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:18 PM

I nominate Peter G. (posthumously) from North Sails. He pissed me off so much one time when he told the mastman to trip the pole when I was working the pointy end, almost knocked me off the boat. After I set the pole, I came back to the stern and tore him a new asshole. He was quiet the rest of the race.
God that SOB pissed me off when he was on the boat.

you're so cool

#141 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:28 PM

'I nominate Peter G. (posthumously) from North Sails. He pissed me off so much one time when he told the mastman to trip the pole when I was working the pointy end, almost knocked me off the boat. After I set the pole, I came back to the stern and tore him a new asshole. He was quiet the rest of the race.
God that SOB pissed me off when he was on the boat. '

Adapt and overcome

idiot.

#142 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:52 PM

Adapt and overcome

idiot.

The purpose of the thread was to present the worst screaming helmsman you sailed with. Peter met that requirement. If that makes me an idiot, I will wear the title proudly.

BTW FOAD.

#143 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

The purpose of the thread was to present the worst screaming helmsman you sailed with. Peter met that requirement. If that makes me an idiot, I will wear the title proudly.

BTW FOAD.

so badass

#144 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:06 PM

so badass

If that was your best taunt, you better try again.

#145 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

If that was your best taunt, you better try again.

you tha man

#146 RUMLIME

RUMLIME

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:20 PM

I've sailed with Butch for years. Snaggletooth also. They both ran off at the mouth a bit. There are yellers, and there are "laugh you balls off" yellers. Some you laugh with, some at. I won't tell you which is which.

Bye the bye, Doesn't Bob Monro get any kind of mention here? His mouth still won't quit!!!!!! Me, I'm Mr. calm.

Bob, yell? really?
;)

#147 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:21 PM

you tha man

That's more like it. :lol:

#148 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:33 PM

That's more like it. :lol:

kick ass

#149 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:37 PM

kick ass

Stop it! I'm starting to tear up LMAO! :P

#150 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:01 PM

Stop it! I'm starting to tear up LMAO! :P

what's it rate?

#151 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:07 PM

what's it rate?

Sorry, you lost me on that one. :blink:

#152 artie_pitt

artie_pitt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:46 AM

Couple years back we were sailing past a Frers 41 at the Red Fox Regatta, some fat fucker in the back of the boat started having a tantrum....funniest shit we ever saw. This dude was huge, smoking a cigarette, looked like he was sweating gallons by just sitting there, and the crew WAS working their ass off. I was surprised one of those guys didn't snap and tell that fucker to jump his dead ass weight off the boat. :lol:

Keith Goldstein??

#153 Quadonoxmn

Quadonoxmn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, what else?

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:40 AM

I have been known to raise my voice on occasion while racing sailboats, but of course that was long ago. I would like to relate an incedent that occured in the distant past, one I now think it's very funny. For some reason my wife is still pissed about it. While racing the queen of one designs on WLIS the crew enjoyed a sandwich during the downwind leg. When I thought it was time to get ready for a douse or gibe or something the little lady objected as she was still eating. So I did the only reasonable thing and grabbed her lunch and tossed it overboard, saying something like "your done now, get ready to do whatever we were doing".

That's funny right?

I mean come on, it happened in the 80's, shouldn't she let it go allready?
Or should I go appoligize again?

#154 Ozee Adventure

Ozee Adventure

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:44 AM

I have been known to raise my voice on occasion while racing sailboats, but of course that was long ago. I would like to relate an incedent that occured in the distant past, one I now think it's very funny. For some reason my wife is still pissed about it. While racing the queen of one designs on WLIS the crew enjoyed a sandwich during the downwind leg. When I thought it was time to get ready for a douse or gibe or something the little lady objected as she was still eating. So I did the only reasonable thing and grabbed her lunch and tossed it overboard, saying something like "your done now, get ready to do whatever we were doing".

That's funny right?

I mean come on, it happened in the 80's, shouldn't she let it go allready?
Or should I go appoligize again?

Shower her with adoration & affection... you're still married! :lol:

#155 Faster-Please

Faster-Please

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:48 AM

The one that comes to my mind is a 36.7 sailor who screams so loud on Wednesday nights that you can't hear yourself think. !#@!@*^KA*^*IO*^@#%@ FOR CHRIST SAKES! ;)

#156 Scott Dinhofer

Scott Dinhofer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:10 PM

I am always reminded of the time i was trimming main on a certain 55 footer and bear was doing tactics. yelling at the driver, and a few others. afterwards at the bar, he asked me if i thought his message was wrong. I told him the message was spot on, but he was getting tuned out because of the noise he was making. the next day during our pre-race meeting on the boat. he went through the issues he was yelling about the day before and said "ok, so scott you will do this, and driver you will drive like this, and jib trimmer, you will do this, and I will sit back here and yell at all of you..." the humility and humour made it one of the most memorable days on the water!

and as far as andrew blackman goes.... need i say more?

#157 Kevlar16

Kevlar16

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:07 PM

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned 'THE MOUTH FROM THE SOUTH'.... Ted Turner.....
Difficult to say who screamed more Butch or Ted, I think Ted had a more varied vocabulary and an endless list of swear words.... having sailed with both of them many times I think Ted was the better sailor, he certainly was a better motivator and could get disorganized crew working together.... but he could shout and scream .........

#158 Alden Bugly

Alden Bugly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:26 AM

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned 'THE MOUTH FROM THE SOUTH'.... Ted Turner.....
Difficult to say who screamed more Butch or Ted, I think Ted had a more varied vocabulary and an endless list of swear words.... having sailed with both of them many times I think Ted was the better sailor, he certainly was a better motivator and could get disorganized crew working together.... but he could shout and scream .........

Maybe we sailed with Turner at different times. My time when he wasn't a screamer. Ted was surely given to the soliloquy (see ), but he wasn't a screamer for the several years I was lucky enough to sail with him.

#159 Underage_Underdog

Underage_Underdog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:20 AM

Im going to have to say all the jones men (Burt, Warren, and Tod), Ive grown up hearing them all yelling about everything on and off the boat.

#160 Grump

Grump

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:42 PM

My fav was not a skip of mine, but a husband/wife team sailing fireball in AB,CAN. both VERY good sailors, always sail in matching white painting coveralls. Every regatta you could hear "GODDAMMIT WOMAN! MOVE!" drifing across the water. Ah to be happily married

And she always wore a hat with strings tied under the chin because he would pull her hair to hurry her along!

#161 batten

batten

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Interests:Racing<br />Reading<br />Writing

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:28 PM

for you Chesapeake Bay sailors: Allscare (Altaire) You can hear that jackass all over the race course.

Friends don't let friends race on Altair, honey...

#162 lstsailr

lstsailr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:41 PM

+1 for Muldoon. The stories really could take up volumes. The best part is that he makes you return your smelly, sweaty t-shirt at the end of the regatta.

#163 sail1403

sail1403

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:01 PM

Im going to have to say all the jones men (Burt, Warren, and Tod), Ive grown up hearing them all yelling about everything on and off the boat.

I raced with them all, I don't recall Todd being a yeller? Burt & Warren ooohhhh the stories...

#164 pointyend

pointyend

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:drinkin', cussin', spittin'

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:05 PM

I don't know how many times I've managed to wind him up enough from another boat so that he blows the start. And he always gets all "Lovey-dovey Hovey" afterwards and asks "Hey, why you gotta be like that?"

#165 H20

H20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:14 PM

One of my good mates in the Etchells fleet screams and pounds his fists on the deck. But never at the crew, only himself or the situation. A-type, competetive personalities often tend to be tightly wrapped and high strung.

Gee I wonder who that is.

#166 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:17 PM

One of my good mates in the Etchells fleet screams and pounds his fists on the deck. But never at the crew, only himself or the situation. A-type, competetive personalities often tend to be tightly wrapped and high strung.

Actually, could be one (or more) of three..

#167 H20

H20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:45 AM

Actually, could be one (or more) of three..

Uh Huh

#168 A boat is a boat is a boat...

A boat is a boat is a boat...

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

Some (make that many) would say that in my earlier years that I might be a candidate for nomination in this group.

Having had at least one (maybe 2, but they're not sure) heart attacks (1 of them pretty major), 3 stent procedures as well as going through throat cancer surgery/chemo/radiation treatment (never smoked), people can't believe how "relatively" mellow I've become!

#169 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts
  • Interests:Apart from sailing? Photography, Camping & Skiing.

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:41 AM

although i sailed for him and, while a screamer for sure.... the recipient usually deserved it....

/c

My experience with Bear has been very positive so far. Did a regatta with him about a month ago, only one mild yelling fit during a botched gybe downwind and he apologized profusely for it afterward. Always very supportive and willing to slow down to help you if you asked questions. He even took and agreed with tactical advice from someone he'd never met before. Given the opportunity I would race with him in a second. That being said, I've learned the value of never ever taking my eyes off the chute while going downwind.

My favorite yeller ever goes to two people actually. One is a Star sailor who thinks he's hot stuff in his class but sucks royally and makes up for it by desperately trying to go pro as a keelboat tactician. He's raced on almost every boat in out club and after flipping a shit on me while flaking our mainsail hasn't been invited back to my main program. He is an openly stuck up holier than thou asshole to everyone he meets and his son who I have also had the displeasure of sailing with is just as bad. I was there when one of his outbursts consisted of him storming in circles around the deck stomping his feet and systematically ripping the entire crew a new asshole after a throwout DFL. While I wasn't present for the time he cursed out a race committee I hear that the lifetime ban from a prestigious WLIS Yacht Club was well earned. If anybody ever runs across a shortish greek man wearing yellow swim trunks and bright red crocs you would do well to avoid this dickweed at all costs.

Next is a local legend who on one occasion called tactics during a J/30 national regatta. Going into the last race victory was assured for his boat and they should have just gone easy. However, after a botched finish where they gave up 1 place (but not the regatta) he began jumping up and down in the back of the boat screaming that he would never sail with "a bunch of fucking amateurs again!!!". Needless to say he got his ass kicked off never to return.

Oh the stories...I'm laughing remembering my own Butch Ulmer tale

#170 oioi

oioi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:11 AM

used to sail with a helm, wasnt really a screamer but had developed a bad habit of leaving the wheel (on a 40footer) to lend a hand when things started to go wrong. fortunately the mainsail trimmer knew this and used to calmly take the wheel. one offshore race, in the middle of the night, its going wrong on the bow. the helm runs up to the bow, trips and dives head first over the bow. fortunately the bow man caught him, never left the wheel after that :)

couple of weeks ago were sailing alongside a boat with hoist going wrong. hoisting on a tight reach (we had decided not to so sitting calmly and watching the mess). I shout at the trimmer (who i know) Sam, get the fucking guy on. to sams credit he bangs the guy right on, to the shroud. they promptly broach. we sail happily past them. laughing so i hard i hit the mark!

#171 Walrus

Walrus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:28 AM

Him: "Smoke the brace!"

Me: "What?" (30+ year veteran and I had never heard the term before.)

Him "Smoke the brace!"

Me: "What do you mean?"

Him; "Let it go, fast!"

Me: "OK" (dumps brace)

Him(screaming): "Nooo! Not like that!"

The resulting prawn trawling photo made the cover of "Australian Sailing".

Needless too say "smoking the brace" is now an in joke on certain boats.

#172 inappropriate

inappropriate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:34 PM

used to sail with a helm, wasnt really a screamer but had developed a bad habit of leaving the wheel (on a 40footer) to lend a hand when things started to go wrong. fortunately the mainsail trimmer knew this and used to calmly take the wheel. one offshore race, in the middle of the night, its going wrong on the bow. the helm runs up to the bow, trips and dives head first over the bow. fortunately the bow man caught him, never left the wheel after that :)

couple of weeks ago were sailing alongside a boat with hoist going wrong. hoisting on a tight reach (we had decided not to so sitting calmly and watching the mess). I shout at the trimmer (who i know) Sam, get the fucking guy on. to sams credit he bangs the guy right on, to the shroud. they promptly broach. we sail happily past them. laughing so i hard i hit the mark!

That whole bow thing is a titch more complicated than it looks from way back there. Glad he wasn't hurt, glad he learned his f'ng lesson though.

#173 Serge A. Storms

Serge A. Storms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:09 PM

Posted Image

a picture is worth a thousand words

SECOND THAT- There was a thread about "the biggest a-hole in Annapolis" a few years back and the leader of this program got the lion's share of the votes.

A flaming, screaming a-hole if there ever was one. See earlier posts in this thread...

SERGE

#174 KA16

KA16

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:04 PM

He's not with us any more - so it is with great affection I nominate Bruce Hitchman... and Pacific Breeze (Farr 38).

I remember his first overnighter double hander race - the boat was still set up for 5 and he hadn't quite got into the idea that there were only 2 of us...
36 hours of orders blasted from the stern... 3knm of running bow/stern/port/starboard - not quite crew abuse I guess more like waterboarding.

The other great memory was the finish of the Coffs in maybe 1990, 1am, kite up, ~20kn SE a little gusty and Mutton Bird island heading towards us quite quickly.

Blow the brace, blow, blow,....

CLUNK (his false teeth hit the cockpit floor)

PUCK, POMEONE GRAB MY PEETH - POW B BASE, POW!!!

#175 Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:51 PM

The worst I ever actually sailed with was the president of the college I attended. Old Gulf Coast sailors will know who I mean. He was pretty bad. I sailed with him once and let him know early on that the shouting wasn't making a positive difference. When I got off the boat I told him I wouldn't be back and why. I have never understood why anyone would put up with it unless they had no other option, and there are always other options.

RD

You must have never sailed with one of his well-known competitors from Lake Pontchartrain. The Padre was pretty bad, but the 'Buddy' took the cake.

#176 Fibre Arse

Fibre Arse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:interested in how some one could use the name "lonely boy 15" and not be a deviant!

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:46 AM

Huh theyn are tame compared to sailing in a 470 or keelboat with or against the wolrd highest paid loser....

Chris Dickson.

loud, rude, arrogant ,and never wrong... Until Dennis toasted him in Perth!

I could hear him on the course we were sailing on which was a good 500M from this Ego maniac!

#177 DogBalls

DogBalls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:57 PM

Wasn't THutch famous for hat throwning, foot stomping meltdowns many moons ago. I AM NOT talking about the current THutch.

But then again who hasn't had a meltdown in their day?

#178 Lee G

Lee G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:37 PM

Saw alot of nods to Butch Ulmer. He actually yelled at me from another boat earlier this season. We were in sequence, he was in the division behind us, I asked him to get out of our starting area, and he actually made me feel like it was MY fault we were in HIS way. He also yelled at our helmsman so bad when he was 8 years old crewing for him in an Interclub he scarred him for life!

#179 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:51 AM

Saw alot of nods to Butch Ulmer. He actually yelled at me from another boat earlier this season. We were in sequence, he was in the division behind us, I asked him to get out of our starting area, and he actually made me feel like it was MY fault we were in HIS way. He also yelled at our helmsman so bad when he was 8 years old crewing for him in an Interclub he scarred him for life!

That wouldn't happen to have been during the Can One Thursday Night series would it? In which case I've heard of this tantrum before. If it is then I had a stroke of luck missing him on the same boat a few weeks ago. Psycho...

#180 167149

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:13 AM

Huh theyn are tame compared to sailing in a 470 or keelboat with or against the wolrd highest paid loser....

Chris Dickson.

loud, rude, arrogant ,and never wrong... Until Dennis toasted him in Perth!

I could hear him on the course we were sailing on which was a good 500M from this Ego maniac!

remember the 1020 nationals 87 racing against him ......Ditto with regard to noise.......didn't feature there either

#181 rastus

rastus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:38 AM

Halfway through a winter series once and sitting first overall on points, I had a work comittment that caused me to miss a race
My mostly newbie but comitted crew got a local boat builder/sailmaker/yacht designer to helm in my absence. Apparently he forgot that my crew
were mostly newbies and even the most experienced of the crew vowed and declared not to sail with him again. To give the guy his due he has designed some cool sailboats and been involved in some top notch programmes, he just wasn't used to sailing with newbies. A great guy off the water although I haven't sailed with him myself.

#182 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,833 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

A bloke who taught me how to sail .."Clearway" not only ear piercing in anger but he also had an extra long tiller extention so no where was safe for crew to hide from being wacked !

Just so we could not hear the water rushing past he used to sing the classics, when not enraged like a malley bull. ( tie a ribbon around the old oak tree - chirpy chirpy cheep cheep - ying tang by the GOONS ) ahh the early 1970s had a lot to answer.

Actually i think i am :P

One day in anger about my forward hand making the same mistake, every set, still .. around 3/4 of the way thru the season, i was giving a huge spray & noticed many shocked looking 4ktsb folk waaay across the harbour tut tutting * happy dance *

Guess Clearway taught me all the tricks !

#183 Renegade-27

Renegade-27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:44 AM

Bit of history - but PETER ISLER circa 1978 sailing in Solings. He was still in Yale, and I was a HS Senior crewing for him on the foredeck (ONE time!). What a hell-ride! Of course, the more he screamed the worse I performed... classic.

I wonder if he's still hot-tempered!

#184 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:23 PM

Interesting thread, topical from a personal perspective. I did an event recently where I was on mainsheet, at one point I stood up and looked to windward for a while whilst we were sailing upwind, thought hard about taking a dive. Sat down and just got off onto a support boat as fast as possible after the last race of the series. Not so much screaming from the owner/helm just a constant wearing series of contributions. Returned the crew shirts in the post (mail) which surprised the owner but I told him when I next saw him I wouldn't be needing them. We won the series easily, I just wonder quite what a nightmare it would be if we'd not been doing well.

#185 AClass USA 230

AClass USA 230

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:28 PM

The worst I ever actually sailed with was the president of the college I attended. Old Gulf Coast sailors will know who I mean. He was pretty bad. I sailed with him once and let him know early on that the shouting wasn't making a positive difference. When I got off the boat I told him I wouldn't be back and why. I have never understood why anyone would put up with it unless they had no other option, and there are always other options.

RD

You must have never sailed with one of his well-known competitors from Lake Pontchartrain. The Padre was pretty bad, but the 'Buddy' took the cake.

I sailed with the Padre several times in the late 70's. What a character, he was loud but not really abusive. We were once doing a race in Pensacola. We were on the final downwind leg to the finish, about 15-18 knots of wind. We would be the first boat to finish in the race but we were not ahead of the second place boat enough to correct out. At that point, the Padre said only an act of God could get us the race win. About 30 seconds later, a fitting broke on the other boat's mast and their rig came down. The smile on the Padre's face was pretty diabolical as he said "too bad for those guys"!

#186 keel trimmer

keel trimmer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Interests:uh....sailing?

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:59 PM

My uncle. Retired Navy officer / boat driver. Sails a lovely old gaffer in WLIS - I hesitate to give more detail because you'll recognize him. Last time I sailed with him in a race was the last time I will ever sail with him in a race, at least when he's skipper. He and his son got into a yelling match over nothing at the start of a piss-ant little race for old boats, that not only did the RC stare at us in shock, the entire fleet of 10 or so boats was silent for the first half of the race. When was the last time an entire fleet was embarrassed into silence? I can't tell you how relieved I was when he decided, being DFL anyway, that it was too late in the day to stop by the docks and schmooze with the rest of the crowd. A great guy, but what happens to some people when they get on a boat, I will never understand.

#187 waterboy

waterboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Interests:naval architect since 1988 BS, MS, PE

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

He's a classic.

Before he had the big boat he had a 40ish something Donnybrook. We had a 40 footer and competed against him. He never beat us once.

St. Mary's race, back when there were over 200 boats doing it. Dark, a little before midnight. We had been crossing tacks with him for the race so far, and pacing him as he owed us a fair bit of time. So we knew we could beat him if we stayed in touch. His lights dissapear. About 15 minutes later, literally seconds before collision, we're on starboard, he approaches a crossing situation with us- he's on port. Just before we hit he yells at us "WATCH OUT!" We crash bear off to avoid him, yell at him to turn his lights on. His Reply- "That's stealth sailing!" What a wingnut.

When he first got the big boat, he was friggin dangerous. At a leeward mark rounding, he's coming in on port tack, and outside. Other boats going around on the inside, on starboard tack. Muldoon starts screaming at the top of his lungs, "GET THE HELL OUTTA MY WAY!!!"

We laughed about that the rest of the season.

#188 Phoenix

Phoenix

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:16 PM

Tim Hanson was the loudest, most abusive skipper with the most complete vocabulary I have ever heard. He even abused the cook, who was a veteran of the Bataan death march for overcooking the roast. It was blowing 30+ upwind at the time. I thought the effort to get the meal together at all was heroic.

#189 eliboat

eliboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:04 PM

Can't believe Tim Woodhouse has not yet been mentioned. Wowzers....that guy is a screamer

#190 spike

spike

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:41 PM

Can't believe Tim Woodhouse has not yet been mentioned. Wowzers....that guy is a screamer

Nice timing....

#191 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,362 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:29 PM

P Lowell

Snaggletooth

I will second the snaggletooth, I think his eyes actully pop out of his head when he starts screaming

Not evan funny!

#192 PaddyG

PaddyG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:39 AM

I'm thinking off a guy who isn't exactlly a screemer but does keep chiruping away ... constantly and in a very nervous manner ... and has been known to let go of the helm in order to lend a hand. He'd be ideal on the bow or in the pit. Everything would get sorted in short order becasue he's a very decent sailor. Actually he's not a bad helm either. Just too highly strung to be sat at the back waggling the rudder with a panoramic view of what everyone else is doing.

"Zen and the Meditative Art of Helming". It would have made an ideal Xmas present.

Now I wonder who that could be!!

#193 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:36 AM

/c

My experience with Bear has been very positive so far. Did a regatta with him about a month ago, only one mild yelling fit during a botched gybe downwind and he apologized profusely for it afterward. Always very supportive and willing to slow down to help you if you asked questions. He even took and agreed with tactical advice from someone he'd never met before. Given the opportunity I would race with him in a second. That being said, I've learned the value of never ever taking my eyes off the chute while going downwind.

My favorite yeller ever goes to two people actually. One is a Star sailor who thinks he's hot stuff in his class but sucks royally and makes up for it by desperately trying to go pro as a keelboat tactician. He's raced on almost every boat in out club and after flipping a shit on me while flaking our mainsail hasn't been invited back to my main program. He is an openly stuck up holier than thou asshole to everyone he meets and his son who I have also had the displeasure of sailing with is just as bad. I was there when one of his outbursts consisted of him storming in circles around the deck stomping his feet and systematically ripping the entire crew a new asshole after a throwout DFL. While I wasn't present for the time he cursed out a race committee I hear that the lifetime ban from a prestigious WLIS Yacht Club was well earned. If anybody ever runs across a shortish greek man wearing yellow swim trunks and bright red crocs you would do well to avoid this dickweed at all costs.

Next is a local legend who on one occasion called tactics during a J/30 national regatta. Going into the last race victory was assured for his boat and they should have just gone easy. However, after a botched finish where they gave up 1 place (but not the regatta) he began jumping up and down in the back of the boat screaming that he would never sail with "a bunch of fucking amateurs again!!!". Needless to say he got his ass kicked off never to return.

Oh the stories...I'm laughing remembering my own Butch Ulmer tale

Had the misfortune of racing with Mr. Red Crocs today, he and another pro on boat decided that they would both be calling tactics. When Crocs said one thing the other said the opposite. They spent the entire time canceling each other out. It went on for the entire race and it's a miracle we finished where we did.

#194 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,195 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:42 PM

anyone here no squeaky?...

#195 lost sailor

lost sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:any dead heads out there? going fast and tasty buds!

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:08 PM

YEP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
crewed for him once...actually he crewed for us on a hendo 30 that was brand new to us trying to bring us up to speed. the main sheet trimmer had him by the throat and was ready to throw him overboard but was talked out of it.
actually we were still learning the boat and he should'nt have been on board, all he did was make things much worse!

#196 lost sailor

lost sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:any dead heads out there? going fast and tasty buds!

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:31 PM

I sail on a Laser sometimes with a guy who calls me a
pansy, a hopeless idiot, and a total loser. Just who does
this asshole think he is, Gods gift to sailing?! I should just get off the boat,
cuz of these days I'm going to beat the shit
out of him.

let me guess "Brodie Cobb"

#197 SailDaddy

SailDaddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Sailing -doh, Outdoors, torturing my young children, Mt Biking<br />Shopping for a fast single hander so I can torture my children on the bay.

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:55 PM

Late 70's in a Farr 1/4 tonner. We were a young but strong crew drawn together by a 70+YO skipper who would just berate us. We learned to ignore him but no one else would get near the boat. Our favorite line as he had the tiller up under his chin "I'm sailing with every fiber of my being!"
The man carried a bull horn in the stern so he didn't have to strain his voice to yell at other boats. After a particularly fast round up the horn rolls across the deck and is in Siren mode. The damn thing is loud and it sounds like a claxon on a submarine. The entire bay can hear this as we rolled from round up to round down. God bless him but the skipper had the presence of mind to just kick it overboard.
He would buy us all and any beer we wanted though.

RIP John and "Scrimshaw".

#198 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,477 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:49 PM

I sail on a Laser sometimes with a guy who calls me a
pansy, a hopeless idiot, and a total loser. Just who does
this asshole think he is, Gods gift to sailing?! I should just get off the boat,
cuz of these days I'm going to beat the shit
out of him.

The problem with Lasers is that the constant, endless chattering among the crew can literally drive you mad.

#199 sailingk8

sailingk8

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:04 PM

Bill McAteer, Annapolis back in the day
Was hella fun though.

#200 Yard Dog

Yard Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:51 PM

One of the Bay's most infamous asshats Rick Palleschi. He was busy screaming at everyone and not driving very well at all. Wake looked like a snake fucking a chicken actually. Then he decided to light into me and I very calmly told him that yelling at someone who was holding a winch handle wasn't the best idea he'd ever had and to shut up and drive... Amazingly enough he shut the fuck up for about 5 minutes... I pity the fool who even thinks about slapping at me.

I pity the fool that sails blue water with him. I did. Closest I came to homicide. I could have dumped him overboard and the crew never would have said a word.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users