#201 sailingkid

sailingkid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Interests:Moths, A-Cats, speed, efficiency

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for the comments Shu. I've elected to go with the single string rig, since my little brother and I now weigh 190kgs+ (we're not very little anymore), and having sailed a 12 foot skiff for a while, this things never going to match it so I'll just have a fun little hiking/trap boat.

We're getting to the fit out now, reusing as many of the old blocks where possible. However, one that has me thinking is how to run the mainsheet. I've got the traveller back on, but I can't figure out how to tack with the mainsheet coming off the floor, as the traveller gets in the way if you tack behind the traveller. However if you tack where the mainsheet take off is on the floor, your tiller arm will hit the mainsheet where it goes through the traveller...The obvious soloution is to take it off the boom 29er style, running it through the traveller last. Will that work? Just wondering how they did it back in the 70's if anyone remembers. I've attached a pic if that helps.

Attached Files

#202 JimC

JimC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,746 posts
  • Interests:Dinghies, especially box rule classes.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

In the UK folks were taking the mainsheet off the boom in Cherubs long before 29ers existed. I can't remember whether we nicked the idea of the Aussies or the Kiwis. Flat Stanley (1980 world Champ and a modified Murray) used a stern bridle with the mainsheet run forward along to the boom and then down to a block on a beam in roughly traveller position. So the 29er style system is not madly incongruous on your boat. I'd just centre the traveller and leave it, they were going out of fashion fast in the late 70s. You certainly need to have it in place: its very structural!

#203 duncan (the other one)

duncan (the other one)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:11 AM

Jim, the Aus cherubs nowadays have evolved well past bethwaite, although the Wop/Foreign Affair influenced high topsides are still evident. Most new Aus cherubs are Matthews hulls which have a very distinct turn in the chine and very straight forward and aft sections, very flat rocker and bottom as well, in fact aus cherubs have almost been one designed by the matthews shape, much the same as the thorpe hungry tiger hulls were the "standard" for quite a while in moths.

Speaking of UK cherubs Jim, the former worlds winning UK rules boat Sports Cherub 2667 (is on ebay at the moment for AU$1500... now called Blonde Ambition. Interested anyone?

Back on Fleabay: http://www.ebay.com....n-/111141645594

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users