#1 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:13 PM

Yesterday was fun, perfect racing, sunny and hot, and pretty much everyone on the course got in three races, though the Vipers are one behind.

Here's yesterday's thread, with a few dozen good photos added.

Here are the results.

Check this shit out for today!

Forecast Discussion: Today will start out much like yesterday, with the sea breeze expected to fill for the afternoon; however, the overall winds will be stronger for today and you can expect and increasing chance of thunderstorms for the afternoon. Look for Síly winds building through the day with a left trend as the afternoon sea breeze fills. Like yesterday the overall flow should stay out of the S, but as the thermal fills you may see the winds back as far left as SSE and build to the mid teens (14-18 knots). As the thermal fills for the afternoon, look for developing clouds over the mainland. You may see small cumulous develop into towering cumulous even thunderstorms. Squalls will be most likely after 3pm, and could have strong winds (over 30 knots) and rapid shifts. The squalls will move from west to east at the end of the day.

Weather: Mostly sunny and warm for the morning with squalls likely by evening. With clear sunny skies and Síly winds, look for the temperatures to be as warm as yesterday or even warmer. Daytime highs may exceed 80F.

#2 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:21 PM

First, the important stuff: I spent the past two Gosling's parties handing out flyers to every hot girl I could find. Come to our party!

Scotty from Selden Masts, John from Charleston Sail Loft, Ben from Ronstan and Justin and the Viper Class have thrown down to ensure that we are overcapacity at Salty Mike's tonight. Free beer, appetizers (which won't last long), and drink specials and more. Aside from donating cash for the party, the sponsors have given up some jackets and other swag to give out, so that should be fun.

Allen from Photoboat will have his pics up there, and Dayton Colie will be selling CDs of his hilarious and surprisingly good sailing rock music (remember "orange tetrahedron?"

There will be LOTS of hot young women there too. BE THERE!

Attached Files

#3 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:53 PM

I see Dayton is watching - do you have a link to any of the songs bro?

We are just getting to Course 2,and they're not far from a start. We've got a surprising swell out of the NE - maybe 4' @10 sec.

Breeze is a lot lighter here than it was inside, maybe 6 knots - weird because it was blowing 13-15 when we left the dock.

#4 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:00 PM

SO this is PHRF E, F, G, and nonspin. Some really good racing out here yesterday. The strangest thing about yesterday was that it was the quintessential Charleston day, yet only one class is led by a CHarleston boat. We're pretty close to a start here.

#5 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:25 PM

Light and lumpy, with big slow boats crawling over the line - not the most pulse wrattling

#6 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:33 PM

We're up at the top mark, and the Irish "IMP" is about a half mile ahead of the entire fleet.

#7 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:36 PM

Apparently the guy firing off the shotgun on the inshore course yesterday put a hole in the bimini. He was firing a blank for pretty much any reason he could think of. We love our guns down here in the south!

#8 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:40 PM

PHRF G, Caribbean soul is first to the top mark in her class, setting her kite without the pole for some reason, followed by A Parent Tripp, who is leading the close PHRF F class. Good guys, drank quite a bit with them last night, all anarchists.

NExt was Whisper, a C&C 38, then Andiamo, who's leading her class on points.

#9 Cooper in Pcola

Cooper in Pcola

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:42 PM

One of our former fleet captains shot himself in the knee with the start cannon a few years back. Big narly bleeding wound. Got healed up months later and was showing how he blew his knee off...Well you know what happened next.
And it was the same knee.
I always thought Navy Senior Chiefs were the smart ones.

#10 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:43 PM

Next the B25 Phantom, from NC, and a Pearson 31 called Compass Rose.

Great little action with the red Noe En Charette tolling right over the top of Miss Trixie, nearly coming up high enough to hit us.

L'outrage is deep, but just flies downwind compared to the other boats with her very tall rig.

#11 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:47 PM

One of our former fleet captains shot himself in the knee with the start cannon a few years back. Big narly bleeding wound. Got healed up months later and was showing how he blew his knee off...Well you know what happened next.
And it was the same knee.
I always thought Navy Senior Chiefs were the smart ones.

HA! I once shot a pistol through my sleeping bag, the bullet passed between my feet. Scared off the bear though.

Celadon, 2nd place boat in the heavy class, just grabbed the offset mark and they're dragging it down the course. I think it's an ex-charter beneteau 51, the skipper owns a furniture shop in Charleston that Mer adores.

They've got sails down, trying to extricate themselves, not fun.

#12 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:02 PM

We're headed over to watch the big boats now, pics will load soon with video, but damned slowly with the offshore signal we have.

#13 Sail_FAU

Sail_FAU

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:23 PM

Clean,
Our Women's college team is racing at CofC today... is it possible to let me know the conditions in the river when you have a chance? They are a VERY new group so I'm hoping it's not too crazy! Thanks!

#14 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:25 PM

Looks like our pals on Big Booty took a 2nd - that's John from Charleston Sail Loft on tactics.

#15 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

Big boats have started, we're headed to the top to see the roundings. After everyone's around, I think we'll head inshore so that we can get the videos and pics up.

#16 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:29 PM

Breeze still hasn't really come in, still only blowing around 8 knots from 220ish, but we're expecting the increase any minute based on what I'm seeing from other buoys up the coast.

#17 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:30 PM

BTW, we posted a lot of pics this morning to yesterday's thread, plus more are coming as soon as we can do it for you. Mer got some great shops of the Vipers mixing it up with the Melges fleet.

#18 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:36 PM

Anyone with a minute who wants to do a little weather analysis, feel free.

#19 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:40 PM

This is pretty sweet, nice mixup in the A fleet. Stay tuned.

#20 BarePoles

BarePoles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Interests:sailing, architecture, running, Texans

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the hard work Clean, helps us sad souls sitting in from of the computer today!

Get some shots of the Lake Lanier Megi's for me....ROOM 444 IMPROVEMENT and Herpes Hermes! :P

#21 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:50 PM

Yellow Jacket just a few seconds ahead of Cracker, but Sister Golden Hair rolled Cracker just after the hoist - great racing for these guys. Teamwork behind a ways, with the Bennie 47.7 Dauntless behind them. The owners of Dauntless live aboard her - pretty cool.

The J/133 was a ways back, they went right at the start and got killed.

#22 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:50 PM

The rain is falling apart as it approaches you so, I don't think you'll see much of that. And where in the bottom pic are you guys racing.... what's out shore vs. inshore?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for the hard work Clean, helps us sad souls sitting in from of the computer today!

Get some shots of the Lake Lanier Megi's for me....ROOM 444 IMPROVEMENT and Herpes Hermes! :P

Yeah, no worries. We'll get plenty, and if the wind ever gets here the action will be gnarly. I will say one thing - the fleet here is very, very gentlemanlike. Very little of the usual

#24 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:04 PM

Here's a pic of Rush from yesterday, they're kicking the crap out of the PHRF B fleet. They're just behind the 40.7 Overlap (SAer owner), with Emocean just behind them, then temptress, then the B32. Sorry Jay, Lola is DFL here in these moderate breeze, waterlining kind of conditions.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Rush.jpg   467.05K   19 downloads

#25 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:13 PM

Thanks DaveK - we're offshore just now, about 2 miles ESE of the harbor entrance. Cloud cover is getting thicker, but no sprinkles yet. Swells are coming from the SSE, and increasing in size and period. There's also a NEly swell that we saw earlier, but it's getting overpowered by the SE one. Interesting conditions.

#26 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

Yay! Mer finally got her pics on a memory stick to me - posting now.

#27 chucktowncolie

chucktowncolie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for the nod earlier Clean, I've been ducking on and off all day. Here's a link to some of my music

www.myspace.com/daytoncoliemusic

If anyone wants, I'll take requests and add some songs to the profile.

see y'all tonight at Salty's, you guys rock

#28 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:28 PM

Pics from Circle 2:

Attached Files

#29 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

DOing 30 knots en route to the li'l boats now. Some sun in between the clouds, another gorgeous day. Working on video now.

#30 JayP

JayP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:44 PM

Here's a pic of Rush from yesterday, they're kicking the crap out of the PHRF B fleet. They're just behind the 40.7 Overlap (SAer owner), with Emocean just behind them, then temptress, then the B32. Sorry Jay, Lola is DFL here in these moderate breeze, waterlining kind of conditions.

thanks, wanted to ask but last thing you need is one more dope directing you all over the atlantic to chase down info about their homeboy.
They've got a good crew and worst case in waterlining/no-planing conditions they should be midpack...but a steep learning curve on working an A-sail, and it's their first boat like this.
They'll figure it out....

Also, doesn't help that their rating at 75 is harsh, should be 84 or 87. The 8 meter Thompson, which is a faster boat, has a well-settled rating of 78, the 830s are prettty settled at 69 or so.

#31 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:47 PM

Melgi coming to tht second top mark for Race 5. MUCH better breeze in here, 12 knots with puffs much higher.

#32 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:58 PM

Great little rounding, Vipers and Melgi mixed in together. Top 10 M24:

Tiburon
Carloan
Spray
Hoodlum
Yoga
Blur
Temerity
Outhouse
Fu
Mustang

Top Vipers:

Justin Scott
Slithering
Qurqii
Gotwalt

#33 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:00 PM

thanks, wanted to ask but last thing you need is one more dope directing you all over the atlantic to chase down info about their homeboy.
They've got a good crew and worst case in waterlining/no-planing conditions they should be midpack...but a steep learning curve on working an A-sail, and it's their first boat like this.
They'll figure it out....

Also, doesn't help that their rating at 75 is harsh, should be 84 or 87. The 8 meter Thompson, which is a faster boat, has a well-settled rating of 78, the 830s are prettty settled at 69 or so.

You are anything but a dope, and it ain't like OTW Anarchy is all that crowded on a Saturday at the start of the sailing season. They had a nice little battle at the rounding we saw with the Esse, the Esse came out ahead and Lola had a really slow hoist. Great little boat though, be good to see them back next year kicking some tail.

Got video of it all.

#34 JayP

JayP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:04 PM

You are anything but a dope, and it ain't like OTW Anarchy is all that crowded on a Saturday at the start of the sailing season. They had a nice little battle at the rounding we saw with the Esse, the Esse came out ahead and Lola had a really slow hoist. Great little boat though, be good to see them back next year kicking some tail.

Got video of it all.

If they're hanging even a bit with the Esse makes me feel a little better, Esse has had races under its belt to get basics sorted and of course is a meter longer.

will look for the video, and Viper video too.

#35 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:09 PM

Melges at the finish:

Carloan takes tiburon out for the win
Spray (local knowledge rocks!)
Hoodlum
Tiburon
Yoga
OUthouse
blur
Fu

#36 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:10 PM

Kristin Lane was yelling something at Bora on 592 - not sure what happened, but I'm sure they mixed it up at the bottom mark. Headed in to pick up journalists...and posting pics as we speak

#37 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:13 PM

Looks like Teddy Turner won the fourth race offshore on his J/92. Teddy's a fun dude, very helpful, and has given a lot of time to the Spirit of SC.

#38 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:15 PM

J80s at the top mark:

Rumor
Roadkill
Game Plan
Relentless
Bone Chillin'

#39 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:16 PM

J24s:

Squid (Ryan Hamm)
Bash
Sling Blade
Short Bus
Latte
Footloose
Kia Ora

#40 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:34 PM

Here's an early vid from today. Not sure what. Got a lot more, but it's gonna take a while to load, sorry for that. Pics coming much sooner, and we're headed out to watch the final race inshore - wind is up to 15 with puffs stronger.

#41 JayP

JayP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:46 PM

Looks like Teddy Turner won the fourth race offshore on his J/92. Teddy's a fun dude, very helpful, and has given a lot of time to the Spirit of SC.

Yeah, he's all right, had a beer with him once and he showed me around his ketch, the former The Card back when he was trying to get a Whitbread campaign going.
Not nearly as wild as the old man. Covered a speech he gave at a Duke biz school commencement. There were a bunch of shocked-ass parents that day.

#42 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:56 PM

I flag start for the Melges fleet, with Hoodlum the only boat over early! Paul has a long way to go to get back in this one. Wind is at 15 constant, biggest puffs to 20 or so.

#43 pyro

pyro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:06 PM

So its snowing in Seattle today I have the 2007 LV Cup finals re-playing on the tube (NZ v. Luna Rossa) and the laptop on with Clean's updates. Talk about vicarious sailing. Thanks for the solid on the water work.

Freezing on the left coast....

#44 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:06 PM

More pics from offshore.

Attached Files

#45 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

Red Dawn (Viper) had some equipment issues and headed back to the dock, while we saw another Melges - a very new owner on an old boat - headed in to lick their wounds with a mast issue.

#46 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:09 PM

They just switched the J/24 and Vipers around on the start, probably because the newby Viper owners have been getting blasted through by the J boats. The top Vipers are hanging with the Melgi though - huge disparity in speed.

Melges coming down to the gate, hauling ass, Simon and Bora are leading!

#47 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:23 PM

So its snowing in Seattle today I have the 2007 LV Cup finals re-playing on the tube (NZ v. Luna Rossa) and the laptop on with Clean's updates. Talk about vicarious sailing. Thanks for the solid on the water work.

Freezing on the left coast....

That's why we're doing it, bro. It's cheap, fun, and it lets the unfortunate have some sailing in their day too.

Strauss WELL out in the lead at the leeward mark - great action, full planing conditions.

Vipers coming upwind now, ragging mains, but these guys really are fun. Dave Guggenheim, the Savannah guy who bought two vipers last month, brought 12 racks of NZ lamb to the Viper beach house last night.

The Melges that dropped out was Rolling Stone, owned by Chet Osborn.

#48 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

Big shout out to SailingK8, who spent the morning on board with her lovely friend Ellen. Both of them paid the admission price for our little gin palace, which was to wear really short skirts.

Thanks for the help with the lines and fenders and gratuitous panty shots, K8!

#49 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:29 PM

Simon lost the lead, I think to Out house, damn! Carloan is very deep, maybe 12th. Throwout race for them.

#50 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

WOW - that was a great finish - Strauss takes out Lane by a boatlength - full on planing - 16 knots easy, bows clear of the water, boats wiping out, life is grand. Also got some HOT chicks on board in thin white pants - I love this job.

#51 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

Just got the best fucking Viper video EVER!!! We were doing 17 knots, and Justin went faster!

14 knots with jib and main right now, he just doused. What a day!

#52 BarePoles

BarePoles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Interests:sailing, architecture, running, Texans

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:13 PM

Don't just tease us, upload that shit!!!

#53 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:19 PM

Alright, this is going to take a little while, but we have some pics that will blow your minds, and I've got to get this video up - sweet as can be.

#54 flaps15

flaps15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:25 PM

Just got the best fucking Viper video EVER!!! We were doing 17 knots, and Justin went faster!

VIPERS?..........where?????

#55 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:40 PM

VIPERS?..........where?????

On a motherfucking plane?

#56 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

Forgive the shakiness in the first minute - enjoy a motherfucking snake on a motherfucking plane!

#57 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:50 PM

Forgive the shakiness in the first minute - enjoy a motherfucking snake on a motherfucking plane!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.c...v/cPwvCUas_Kk"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.c.../v/cPwvCUas_Kk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Shit... it doesn't work. Video from post 50 in the day 1 thread still doesn't work.

C'mon Clean, please fix this one!!!

Edit
never mind..... it works now!

Thanks

#58 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:15 PM

Here's the great finish between Yoga and Out House - I forgot to mention who Kristen's tactician is - Morgan Larson. The girl's kicking some ass though - sitting in 2nd right now to Carload, with Yoga in third.

#59 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:29 PM

Alright, I gotta get this press release done, but in the meantime, enjoy this vid of FU ripping to the finish.

#60 chucktowncolie

chucktowncolie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:30 PM

Great Videos Clean. See you tonight @ Salty's

I've uploaded two more songs - Nukin' fits perfectly with the Viper and Melges footage for all you sport boat fans.

Bad Key West Boat Delivery is a collection of delivery nightmares compiled in to one funky song.

check it out at www.myspace.com/daytoncoliemusic

#61 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:41 PM

No worries Dayton. I'm going to get hammered now - I think Mer is going to post photos from home. She left me working on this pimped out Little Harbor, it's bouncing around too much for her to work. Easy 25 knots blowing in front of my nose right now, kicking up some ridiculous chop against the outgoing tide.

Thanks much for playing, and we'll see y'all in the morning.

#62 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:31 PM

First of all.........CRW really rocks.
It is a great set up. Three great races. Sail back to your slip. Walk up to the resort. Root Beer floats waiting. I've had a swim in the pool. Hung out in the hot tub. Now I'm heading down to the party on the beach.

The racing is really fun technical racing. The inside course has a lot of stuff to think about. Its not crazy, unpredictable stuff. You have to think about it and figure it out. Tide plays a factor, shifts play a factor and pressure plays a factor. If you are ahead, you cannot let up. If you are behind, you keep working it and you can come back.

We (Vipers) shared a couple of upwind legs with the leading Melges and I was working vs my fleet and had birds eye view of those guys working their fleet. The top Melges guys never miss a trick, getting inside the lifts, getting in the right spot for the tide and hiking their hearts out. It was close exciting racing for both our fleets.

I can tell you all. The inside course is a blast. Thinking person's racing.

#63 RockHead

RockHead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:35 PM

Awesome Video!! Gotta love how easy and comfy it is to go wicked fast on a Viper. Note -The crew are NOT sitting on each other's laps on the aft few inches of the boat ;)

Damn I'm jealeous, I really wanted to be there, watching this video is killing me. Next year I will be there with #50, with or without the owner!

But where's the party report??

#64 Essex

Essex

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:43 PM

Red Dawn (Viper) had some equipment issues and headed back to the dock, while we saw another Melges - a very new owner on an old boat - headed in to lick their wounds with a mast issue.

Not exactly, alas we didn't make it down there - new boat was late arriving - couldn't get a spot across from UK cause of a few hundred new Jaguars taking all the ro-ro space. Finally arrived new york on friday when customs decided to pull it aside for a few days or 6 of 'intensive inspection' !

#65 Saltwater Cowboy

Saltwater Cowboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:05 PM

Today was an absolute blast on the Vipers. We had a couple of technical issues that caused us to go from out in front back down to 3rd and 4th in two races. These Vipers are not too complicated, but the layout and the continuous spin halyard/retrieval can cause problems if you have any kinks/assholes/binds. This is a brand new boat and the spin halyard and some of the sheets are not right length yet, but we are slowly working these issues out.

Downwind today was unbelievable, as shown in Clean's video of Justin. We were continuously picking off some of the slower Melges. The only round-up we had was screaming past a Melges and trying to pass to windward rather than jibing away. We took her a bit too high and lost helm, but recovered quickly. In fact we still made the leeward mark in front of the fleet on that run (this was prior to one of our later fuck-ups).

This is my first real regatta on the Viper, but every day I can't wait to get back on the water. They are that much fun.

#66 Dr. Lee-vil

Dr. Lee-vil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:A Scow - W25
    E Scow - W25
    Nite - 512

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:49 AM

Great video and photos! Still looking at a lot of ice on our pond up in the northland. Thanks for the great coverage Mr. Clean.

Dr. Lee-vil

#67 Orphan

Orphan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:51 AM

No worries Dayton. I'm going to get hammered now - I think Mer is going to post photos from home. She left me working on this pimped out Little Harbor, it's bouncing around too much for her to work. Easy 25 knots blowing in front of my nose right now, kicking up some ridiculous chop against the outgoing tide.

Thanks much for playing, and we'll see y'all in the morning.

Hi!!! Great job to you and Mer--wish I were there!!! Beautiful pics and video---

Have fun tomorrow!

#68 flaps15

flaps15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:41 AM

IMHO the video of Justin was better than the M32 at kwrw. Thanks Clean, that was GREAT!

#69 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:49 AM

MORE DAY TWO PICS...

http://picasaweb.goo...NRACEWEEKDAYTWO

#70 sailingk8

sailingk8

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:41 PM

I have pics!

If you want to see them hit:
Charleston RW 08 - Day 2 - Circle 1

More to come.

#71 sailingk8

sailingk8

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:52 PM

More Racing pics from Day 2:

Circle 2

Circle 3

I thought this boat was aptly named:
http://i111.photobuc...pg?t=1208800791

#72 PKGB

PKGB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

PHRF G, Caribbean soul is first to the top mark in her class, setting her kite without the pole for some reason, followed by A Parent Tripp, who is leading the close PHRF F class. Good guys, drank quite a bit with them last night, all anarchists.

NExt was Whisper, a C&C 38, then Andiamo, who's leading her class on points.

Heyhey, yea the no pole thing ended up working out really well for us because of the lite air. We were having trouble with timely gybes and the pole so we said screw it and made it work real well without. That boat was a ton of fun to sail on and the owners are some of the nicest people I have ever met.

OH btw, IMP is an amazing boat. We were next to them at the yard getting lifted in and out and looked around their boat. . . It is awesome. . . absolute tank and fast as hell. . . not to mention the irish guys crewing it that are a riot. . . they have some of the funniest stories and escapades I have ever heard. . . thats my 2 cents, but they deserve the win for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users