2625 replies to this topic

#1501 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Now my true flush deck (M20 style) has 31.5" (.8M) of head room, so if I was in the far FAR South I would need to raise the deck 4". The arched Portland, J24.... deck style would meet the .9M (35.43") head room rule.

So all but my configuration would meet the T1 and I would need to make changes to my deck and cockpit. The anarchist in me says "NOT", but I do not race under the AUZ bucket trailer rules. Sad part is all the i550 configurations are built to the same hull form, must be 800 lbs min, limited 175 lbs keel max, and sail area limited by the rig. Therefore all i550 types should have similar performance potential.

I get a different answer:

(pink is the 1m2 x .9m tall continuous space, so it starts at the top of the (required) bunks and central stringers)

Frankly, without having the entire text of the rules, it is difficult to know who is right and who is wrong here. However, I disagree with SAPOSWIAB that it has to start at the top of the bunks unless, of course, that is what the T1 rules say, because well placed stringers and other supports could be utilized and I can see where the PDX version could very well pass the T1 rule. Or at least come very close to it. If I was in Australia I think I could raise the deck just a couple of inches (maybe 50 to 75 MM) and be able to meet the T1 requirements.

The important thing to remember is that regardless of the rules set used, the hulls are all close enough that the fleet racing, when it happens, will be far more dependent on sailing ability than the deck, rig or other options one can have on their i550.

#1502 Rapscallion

Rapscallion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

So the real question; is the flush deck faster than the cabin version? This is assuming everything else is equal...

#1503 SoAPieceOfStringWalksIntoABar...

SoAPieceOfStringWalksIntoABar...

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

From what I know of other racing, the only advantage of the pdx cabin would be against the long cabin version due to better crew mobility- the long cabin effectively pushes the whole crew aft one butt width. The lower cabin boats also get a more effective vang geometry, but that's a 2nd order effect at best, that can be addressed by more purchase or a pusher vang.

I don't thInk lower cg or windage will matter.

#1504 Rapscallion

Rapscallion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:23 AM

This class has a lot of potential. It will be fun to watch it develop.

#1505 Dawg_House

Dawg_House

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:27 AM

This class has a lot of potential. It will be fun to watch it develop.

If you compare the short cabin to the arched deck boat, the crew mobility would be the same since both end at section 110. The long cabin continues back to section 124. This choice also includes do you want the keel foil coming up thru the cockpit floor or the companionway. Yes the flush decks are faster…..That is faster to build.

I don't thInk lower cg or windage will matter.

I would agree with SAPOSWIAB about the CG and windage effect on performance. You could not blame your deck/cabin choice for losing a race. The carbon fiber or aluminum mast would have a greater effect on the CG. However, at this time, I think it would be a weak argument that it caused you to loss a race. With one bad tack and you lose more time. There are a few rudder configurations that would need to be included in a study, but the sample size of alternate rudders is very small. No one can say that there is a big advantage in taking a flier over the single outboard rudder that most are using. To sort out the best configuration will take a lot of racing, in a mixed fleet and a well planned DOE (Design of Experiment) to really sort out the true effects. So the biggest difference is the skill and experience of the builder. The other factor is the ability of the owner and crew to race the boat to its potential.

The configuration you use in Wisconsin will be more of a decision of who you will be racing. If you have a few local friends at the club your fleet can select the type that best fits your needs. If you plan to race the four boats closest to you (WI, IL, MN, MO) they have cabins and the owners are using the class rule set. If you do go with the cabin you are still welcome to race with the NA group. I’m in the group forming the SE. Anyway you look at it, to race other i550s, you will need a god trailer and be willing to travel.

Do you think that Rap is up to the build? Stop “watching” and get a set of plans, 19 sheets of ¼” ply, 25 yards of glass, 8 gals epoxy…… Will you use Chad’s killer version of String Theory rig or keep it simply rigged like Wild Child or Slightly Barbaric. It is your build.

#1506 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Interests:970-507-0428. Recognized Owner of the i550 design and main hawker of all things i550, Owner of Watershed Sailboats with Susan, my wife. Challenging Woodworking (the regular stuff is boring).

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

Well said. I agree with the points brought up. Also we have been enjoying the threads on i550class.org, I should confirm that the Pressure Drop "container full of kits" was an April fool's joke.
Consider also our dilemma and pleasure here at Watershed as more variations of the cockpit and cabin began to emerge from the garages of the world. Narrow became wide changed to rounded edges in the cockpit Rudders went from one to two to three and back to one (DBSS). Rudders have even been hidden under the boat which I think may make the boat a bit too fast to respond to input at planing speed. The first boat launched in the States in Frostbite Falls, Minnesota changed from cabin to flat deck after a dynamic "reconfiguration".
So, with respect, all of you "creative" builders building your own versions of anything for the deck and cabins (like herding feral cats) we paid attention to all the versions and sort of determined that there are 6 permutations of the deck region and with help establiished some guidance for frame shape for the famous 6. Don't bet against someone now making a seventh version to flummux all of us. Perhaps a raised center cockpit aft cabin model????

#1507 kmac17

kmac17

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

I thought the Aussie boats were building the short cockpit version (cabin back to 124) to have enough internal volume for the trailer sailor rule that they are sailing/racing under. That's the reason I recall anyway.

As for the keel begin in the cockpit or the cabin it doesn't matter at all. Whey you are sailing it's down and a non issue. When it's on the trailer it blocks the entrance to the guts of the boat. I think being in the cabin would be even more challenging, then behind the companionway but it's as tight a squeeze either way.

For practical purposes getting weight forward is good for the i550, especially in the light stuff, so having the forward crew at 110 legs in instead of 124 legs in is a good thing. And putting the fat builer/captain (me) forward and letting someone else drive helps too. I wouldn't hike legs out with out something to keep you in and my boat is sans life lines.

Cheers, Kevin.

#1508 Rapscallion

Rapscallion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:49 AM

I'm a big fan of the design and I think this kind of effort is great for the sport as a whole, I just have a couple of irons in the fire already. I think the i550 has a chance at taking off in my general area though.

#1509 Dawg_House

Dawg_House

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:27 AM

There is a group in Tasmania building a fleet of i550s for a regatta and there are some rumors that it is going to be a mixed fleet. The link I posted on the i550.org forum showed hull 412 (Hobart, Tasmania) being flipped in early February. She has a long wide cockpit with a short cabin. If I remember correctly the regatta was to be held Easter weekend. So if any of the group is out there, results and “IT DID NOT HAPPEN WITHOUT PICTURES!”

()

Has anyone’s PHRF rating been adjusted this year? An SB18 has been completed in the Houston area and her estimated PHRF rating was 245. It has recently been revised to 150. http://sportboat18.blogspot.com

Rap, What is another iron going?
Go on, Buy the plans,
Build the boat,
Join the fun!
At least see if you can take a look at a boat.

#1510 SoAPieceOfStringWalksIntoABar...

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

I thought the Aussie boats were building the short cockpit version (cabin back to 124) to have enough internal volume for the trailer sailor rule that they are sailing/racing under. That's the reason I recall anyway.

Yep, ya gotta shoehorn the internal volume requirement pretty creatively to get it to comply:
Attached File  LongCabinCBH.jpg   187.3K   7 downloads

Without going long cabin there's no way, even if you ignore the "continuous area" part of the rule, and even if you "measure through" the required bunks:
Attached File  ShortCabinNoCBH.jpg   172.77K   8 downloads

... which has nothing to do with some folks going class racing that aren't interested in getting a CBH.

#1511 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Interests:970-507-0428. Recognized Owner of the i550 design and main hawker of all things i550, Owner of Watershed Sailboats with Susan, my wife. Challenging Woodworking (the regular stuff is boring).

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

There is a group in Tasmania building a fleet of i550s for a regatta and there are some rumors that it is going to be a mixed fleet. The link I posted on the i550.org forum showed hull 412 (Hobart, Tasmania) being flipped in early February. She has a long wide cockpit with a short cabin. If I remember correctly the regatta was to be held Easter weekend. So if any of the group is out there, results and "IT DID NOT HAPPEN WITHOUT PICTURES!"

Hey Dawg, sorry things have been sorta crazy around here & Easter just sorta snuck up on us ....
Danny Cunningham, was the only i550 close, but couldn't launch yet due to his deck gear not arriving in time. Last we heard he was building an A6.
But probably good that the i550 shakeout cruise was not this race as it looks like it was a gnarly gear buster. Tassieland blokes seem fiercely independent, tenacious and always willing to help guys out. You'd have to be to live "really down under."
Sorta like Wyoming, where there's usually more doing than talking.
It's on our bucket list. Looks absolutely beautiful.
S&T
http://www.bellerive...om.au/node/5616

#1512 kmac17

kmac17

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Very nice to see #412 being flipped down in Tazmania. That pit area is even wider than mine which I thought to be plenty wide. Should let the forward crew really hike out if they so desire. I recall a chat with those guys and there are some boats in that fleet going with fixed and others with articulation bow prods. The boat should be a lot of fun down in that neck of the woods. Can't wait to see some sailing pics.
Cheers, Kevin.

#1513 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

Speaking of the bucket list, our marketing department is in R&D to develop a line of Designer Buckets, with an i550 logo on clear sticky back.
New slogan "i550: The Way to Go." Could be even monogrammed.
Could be all the way from the "Baby" bucket, to the "Goddess" model to the "Turbo-Charged, Class Legal," model.
Cheers!
Susan
(I really have to start sleeping better).

#1514 Dawg_House

Dawg_House

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

Susan,
How about rewording that?
i550s Go All The Way!
time to reprint those lables.
Me Bad!

#1515 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

Susan,
How about rewording that?
i550s Go All The Way!
time to reprint those lables.
Me Bad!

IT's PURE Genius! Maybe we can get Mountain Dew on as a corporate sponsor .....
whadyathink?
S&T

#1516 F15 AUS

F15 AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

As far as racing in Australia, The big cabin is the only way you will be able to race in the TY fleet. Do anything else and your classed as a sportsboat by the TYA and not allowed into the ASBA events (length restriction of 6M). So anything other than a big cabin will be a bit of an orphan downunder

#1517 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

............. So anything other than a big cabin will be a bit of an orphan downunder

...perhaps 'one-design' events? :unsure:

#1518 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

Too big to be small and too small to be big. The i550 fits into a unique niche. Cheaper , faster and fun(ner). Here is another case where rating rules do not accommodate a good popular niche boat . I suggest that a limit to butt placement while racing be considered. Perhaps BUTT no further forward than the chainplate. Presently swept back chainplate placement is 15 to 30 degrees which is about 10 inches difference. Most boats are 22 to 30 degree aft swept spreaders to date. This might be a starting point to figure the i550 out as far as performance between deck types which I think will be negligible. Time will tell. A common point of reference is a fair place to start.

#1519 F15 AUS

F15 AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

............. So anything other than a big cabin will be a bit of an orphan downunder

...perhaps 'one-design' events? :unsure:

Fair call, when there is enough boats, it wont matter. Unless you want to do outside events like Bay to Bay, Surf to city ect.

#1520 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,221 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

F-15
Of course the TYA (ATYSR) rule still has the catch-all division for boats that do not fit the regular pot plant division

did read like like prev.

Type1: ... has sqr metre of cab volume, 2 func berths

Type2: are boats that do not fulfil the above req.

not called type 1 & 2 ( TY & Open) now however the intent is exactly the same

the short story is the TYA will not orphan or reject you

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

soapieceofstring...........

be good to do that volume thing on the plywood 'Hartley TS16' please? that will show what qualifies NZ/AUS

it passes

http://www.bonsaipal...t.au/page33.htm

#1521 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

................ I suggest that a limit to butt placement while racing be considered. Perhaps BUTT no further forward than the chainplate..............

...err,,if yer sail the boat,you'd recognise the need t'plant one of them butt's up on the foredeck in lighter winds <_< ;)

#1522 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

I am quite aware of that and appreciate the nudge about not having a boat. I suggested the idea cuz eventually one of you builder guys is going to have the cockpit floor and side decks extend all the way to frame
89. Perhaps I should have proposed a big black butt band on the hull and deck? Or maybe we all just have an anarchic go at making the (your) boat go fast.

#1523 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

............. Or maybe we all just have an anarchic go at making the boat

...ahh, better...sounds like a good plan!!! ;) :P :lol:

#1524 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Interests:Traveling to far away sailing venues and terrorizing the locals!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

eventually one of you builder guys is going to have the cockpit floor and side decks extend all the way to frame

And there's a problem with that?

#1525 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

Nope.
TR

#1526 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

eventually one of you builder guys is going to have the cockpit floor and side decks extend all the way to frame

Heck, my next one is gonna have no cockpit floor at all and no side decks either. And don't go on with that whiny "it's not
class legal b.s."

Because it will be.

#1527 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

Could you draw me a picture ???? This really could devolve into ANARCHY.

We could call it Dave.
TR

#1528 SoAPieceOfStringWalksIntoABar...

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

Could you draw me a picture ???? This really could devolve into ANARCHY.

We could call it Dave.
TR

Sounds like you're whining.

I can't show you the pics- Juan K said his i550 hull optimization wasn't to be disclosed. Once this baby hits the water, okoume prices are going to skyrocket as every builder rushes to rebuild! You heard it here first. Stay tuned!

#1529 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:20 AM

With my removable panels rather than a cabin, one could sit legs in even past bulkhead 89. Actually, you could sit on center line on top of bulkhead 53.5,legs in. However, in all but the lightest of conditions, I would think you would want that forward panel in place. The rear one really functions more like a hatch than anything else. Seems like "dave" exists, but is really named "Frank"(Frankenstein)!

Posted Image

#1530 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:49 AM

It's a FrankenDave!
Susan

#1531 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:23 AM

Posted Image

...what's the keel-trunk depth on frankenbaby??

...curious minds wanna know ;)

#1532 Dawg_House

Dawg_House

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:19 AM

Heck, my next one is gonna have no cockpit floor at all and no side decks either. And don't go on with that whiny "it's not
class legal b.s."

Because it will be.

Tim---> aka Dave
Under the 2007-2010 rule set that is a legal configuration, if you get her back to 800 lbs. I do not see an issue, if that is how you want to build her. Butt having side decks is a good thing. Being rail meat on a Thistle gunwale does not sound fun at our age. The wife would insert a comment here about butt floss. Just build her, come on down and let’s get these boats on the lake (your post 1418, just 100 miles south). What regattas do you have in Baltimore?

Timber
What frame 89? You know very well who has that boat and it has a very very low number hull. However the concern that someone would hike out between 110 and 89 is forgetting that that is where the chain plate is. More flossing.

Attached Files

#1533 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

...mann it'll be great when all these boats hit th'water :)

#1534 Christopher Beckwith - iBoat

Christopher Beckwith - iBoat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

I was pretty sure there was one out there that went to frame 89....

;-)

#1535 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

Yep, that hull was also the first to cut off the cabin, was it not? The bottom line is that the boats in Australia do put crew that far forward but they have an advantage as they can hike legs out without life lines while we in the states can not. If you have a cabin boat and want that weight forward, send someone down below. Just feed them good stuff afterwards for doing it for you.

Keel trunk depth is about 22 inches (compare to 18-19 inches). I made the keel strut long and when I was doing the keel trunk, just decided to use up some of that extra. It does add a bit of weight to the keel outside of the bulb, but I ended up under weight anyway.

Running behind on the boat due to paint issues. But non-skid goes on this weekend. Hardware final install next then need to move the boat to the house to use the lift to install the keel. After one more final rigging, she can get wet.

#1536 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

Keel trunk depth is about 22 inches (compare to 18-19 inches). I made the keel strut long and when I was doing the keel trunk, just decided to use up some of that extra. It does add a bit of weight to the keel outside of the bulb, but I ended up under weight anyway.

,,, :blink: ..was thinking there's a difference,,,,CarbonOffset's ~9'' :huh:

#1537 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

Carbon Offsets a long cabin which places the keel trunk forward of the companionway. Wiith the FrankenDave model the keel case is aft of the the B'head defining the front of the cockpit floor hence the greater height.

#1538 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

...mann it'll be great when all these boats hit th'water :)

There are a couple of clusters of the i550's forming up. Portland, Hobart, Croatia, the SE US.
This is beginning to get interesting.

#1539 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

The bottom line is that the boats in Australia do put crew that far forward but they have an advantage as they can hike legs out without life lines while we in the states can not.

That may be a LOCAL PHRF rule, but in other areas in the states you can do whatever is within the RRS. Legs out hiking is legal here if you don't have life lines.

#1540 F15 AUS

F15 AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

Why can you not hike legs out without lifelines in the states?

#1541 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

The bottom line is that the boats in Australia do put crew that far forward but they have an advantage as they can hike legs out without life lines while we in the states can not.

That may be a LOCAL PHRF rule, but in other areas in the states you can do whatever is within the RRS. Legs out hiking is legal here if you don't have life lines.

I may be a bit behind the times. It, at least, was that way. Couldn't even get rated without lifelines. I think TG is correct and it is up to the local PHRF associations to set those rules. It was just the last couple of years that an i550 could even get rated in Jax and we are rated only for inshore events. Lifelines is one thing that makes the difference between inshore and offshore. I would think that in most cases, they believe inshore means safer, like lakes and such, but here on the river, and if the truth be told, some lakes, falling in is worse than falling in the ocean. (OK, except maybe in steep waves at night...)

F15 AUS
Posted Today, 06:44 PM
Why can you not hike legs out without lifelines in the states?

I was always told it was a safety thing, you had to have something helping to keep you in the boat. Life lines, hiking straps, something. As one who has slipped under those life lines, I can see issues with that concept.

#1542 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:08 AM

,,, :blink: ..was thinking there's a difference,,,,CarbonOffset's ~9'' :huh:

Timber answered you better than I did, I forgot you had a long cabin boat. The 18/ 19 inches is the typical trunk height for a long cockpit boat. Your long cabin boat is shorter to allow access to the cabin with the keel down.

#1543 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

Your long cabin boat is shorter to allow access to the cabin with the keel down.

...not for long ;)

#1544 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

Your long cabin boat is shorter to allow access to the cabin with the keel down.

...not for long ;)

Joining the ranks of us Franken Boats, are you?

#1545 Dawg_House

Dawg_House

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

;-)

I know, if anyone could, you can identify the handy work of the builder.
And he was an early first adopter of the flush deck i550.

class legal b.s."

Because it will be.

But all said, any of the other i550 configurations should be able to race #36, with the outcome being determined by the ability of the crew. I would even take her up against Tim's proposed deckless, but with a coach house design (Legal using Class rules 2.4 – 2.7 or NA rule 3.8). As long as she meets: hull form requirements, the 800 lbs min. dry weight, corrector weights split fore and aft (NA or Class rule), 150 - 185 lbs foil-bulb and rig limited to the stated dimension. Outboard or inboard rudder(s). It would be a fun race.

It soon will be great getting boats from both factions together for some unified racing. Tim (aka: Dave) posted (SA 1418) that he wanted to race Joe. I'm again working on the boat and would be in for a race. Chris & Tim (Mist) are both getting closer and an easy drive. Maybe we could get the quiet owner, which has been racing his i550 for two years, to come. There are a few more owners that I've traded emails with that are within driving distance (up to 10 hour drive).

I placed on the SE list, three fall regattas, on two Carolina lakes. I also have a case two cases on ice getting cold. Now back to the garage to get working on the boat and check those cases of ... diet coke. I have a deadline to meet.

Jon
i550-36
Lake Murray, SC

#1546 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

I think that the quiet 2 year man was the first flattie (flush deck config) as he experienced a dynamic compression post reconfiguration whilst sailing.

How about calling Lunatic Fringe's bold exploration of design necessity a "Flattie Sharpie"

Yeah, that's the ticket.

#1547 Dawg_House

Dawg_House

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

Sorry Tim,
Ron has the first i550 "Flight Deck" version floating, but the one in the garage should historically be earlier than the terrible accident that got Lunatic Fringe. From the pictures, Ron did a great job on the rebuild. Also I've driven from NE Ohio to Eveleth and Ely Lake MN. That was a LONG two days of driving and it would be another day to the SE.

However, there is another boat owner, here in the States that has been sailing the i550 for that long. I got to visit him last year and the boat definitely has a coach house. I've also sent you links to pics of the regattas and plan to drive down to do some racing (someday).

#1548 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Wild Child has been noted. Rockledge, Florida.

All of you guys in Tornado territory. . . . . . . . Be careful and stay safe.

#1549 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

Those allergic to Blatant Guerilla Marketing, please avert your tender beady little eyes: THIS IZ ANARCHY!
Got plans? Get your Spring Build On!!! Instant Gratification Special!!! Could be pulled at anytime when we get enough orders: If your inbox can receive 12+MB, we will send you the same pdf plans for $100USD (normally $150 + shipping) via email & you won't have to wait forever for snail mail or have your order stuck in customs forever. Offer available until who knows when, maybe sooner, maybe later? … so don't procrastinate, as we are negotiating doing some custom hulls.

We can send you a paypal invoice, that's the easiest. Or you can use Western Union. Email or call for further information.

http://www.i550sportboat.com/
i550Watershed@yahoo.com
set@skywerx.com (if Yahoo is down)
970-507-0428

#1550 tpb03

tpb03

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Spinnakers

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:35 AM

Those allergic to Blatant Guerilla Marketing, please avert your tender beady little eyes: THIS IZ ANARCHY!
Got plans? Get your Spring Build On!!! Instant Gratification Special!!! Could be pulled at anytime when we get enough orders: If your inbox can receive 12+MB, we will send you the same pdf plans for $100USD (normally $150 + shipping) via email & you won't have to wait forever for snail mail or have your order stuck in customs forever. Offer available until who knows when, maybe sooner, maybe later? … so don't procrastinate, as we are negotiating doing some custom hulls.

We can send you a paypal invoice, that's the easiest. Or you can use Western Union. Email or call for further information.

i550Watershed@yahoo.com
970-507-0428

Does the $50 discount apply if I buy the plans with Tyveks?

#1551 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:17 AM

i550Watershed@yahoo.com
970-507-0428

Does the $50 discount apply if I buy the plans with Tyveks?

If you buy the tyveks, the plans are free. Please see purchase page.
Cheers!
T&S

#1552 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

$100 "Instant Gratification Special!" GET YOUR SPRING BUILD ON!!!

(Modified)

Got plans? Get your Spring Build On!!! Instant Gratification Special!!! Could be pulled at anytime when we get enough orders:.

If your inbox can receive 12+MB, we will send you the same pdf plans for $100USD (normally $150 + shipping) via email & you won't haveto wait forever for snail mail or have your order get stuck in customs forever.Offer available until who knows when, maybe sooner, maybelater? … so don't procrastinate.

We can send you a paypal invoice, that's the easiest. Or you can use Western Union.

We've gotten several emails asking if this special can becombined with TYVEKS.

YES YOU CAN!

Recently, we got a great price on a couple of TYVEK rolls, so this is our best TYVEK price ever. And, if you already have a hulllicense/plans or buy the instant Gratification Special as above, you can getthis deal until the TYVEK runs out.

So, if you decide to do the TYVEKS within one month of purchasing the Instant Gratification Special, we will knock $150 off the usual TYVEK Price, plus shipping.

(See Purchase Page).

Multiple KIT Special (within the lower US 48)

Also another "Don't Procrastinate because we could pull this special at anytime" Multiple Kit Special:

(Lowest Price Ever)

1 kit, $1,800 + shipping

2 kits, $1,700 each + shipping

3 or more kits, $1,600 each + shipping

These prices are good for one destination, the same kit version.Shipping quote good for 30 days. This is our usual high-quality Meranti MarinePly kit. See purchase page for description.

A group or club can ship to a central location and distribute from there.

QUOTES on Boats!(Hulls & Finished i550's)

Email or call for further information.

i550Watershed@yahoo.com

970-507-0428

CHEERS AS USUAL!

Tim& Susan

WATERSHED SAILBOATS

#1553 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

The map has concentrations of i550 in various places around the world. You can see for yourselves at i550sportboat.com --clicky on the Map in the title bar.

Oh, I got a email about plywood and timber boats being bad. Didn't say why, but I suspect ignorance is key.
A short list of woodies; Windward Passage, Ragtime, Teddy Bear, Thunderbirds, Strip planked Shaws, Thompsons, elliotts,
They're all slow and rotting hulks, No?

#1554 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

Foam core glass boats would be better.

How is that build in Brazil going?

#1555 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

Working on the fiberglass angle. I do know there is interest out there, both for clubs and individuals, who want a less expensive, high-performance boat, that they don't have the time or desire to build themselves. Just takes time finding the best match. It will happen.
W are checking in with all builders for updates. Haven't heard back re: Brazil. How's your Portuguese?
TR

#1556 jim lee

jim lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

Would you do the glass boats as a kit? Kinda' like a full size plastic model sailboat.

-jim lee

#1557 Dawg_House

Dawg_House

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:54 AM

We are checking in with all builders for updates. Haven't heard back re: Brazil. How's your Portuguese?
TR

T&S,
It is not perfect, but you can use Bablefish to translate. Enter English and translate, just remember to translate back to English to see how close it converted your words. http://babelfish.yah...m/translate_txt

Bruno,
Any progress on building your boat?
Alguns progridem em construir seu barco?
Some progress in constructing its boat?

#1558 Dawg_House

Dawg_House

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:17 AM

;-)

I know, if anyone could, you can identify the handy work of the builder.
And he was an early first adopter of the flush deck i550.

Jon
i550-36
Lake Murray, SC

Besides hull #36 that I got from Chris, Leeholl's hull #350 is also being built with a cockpit extending to frame 89. http://i550na.org/leeholl/blog

#1559 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Would you do the glass boats as a kit? Kinda' like a full size plastic model sailboat.

-jim lee

Yeah, certainly. But we're not there yet. A lot of stuff has to be in place before anything like that happens. We would need the right individual/ group, and of course, the financing.The more i550's the better. Still working on boom data for you Jim.

Whether the i550 is built in Ply / epoxy / glass and other fiber OR molded in glass, the cost is about the same price for a shop build.
I will forever be an advocate of the Plywood Stitch and Glue boats. They are a better value in the long run. We've been in conversation with a potential customer for a woodie. We'd love to do it.

Real world circumstances pretty much push Watershed in the direction of keeping options open for Molded FRP boats of a standard configuration. We've been in conversation with a group and are investigating possibilities. It just comes down to desire, drive, compromise and all that other life stuff and a possible club racer that will keep everyones attention by being a fun, cheap to build/buy and maintain, angular, capable boat.
TR

#1560 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

We are checking in with all builders for updates. Haven't heard back re: Brazil. How's your Portuguese?
TR

T&S,
It is not perfect, but you can use Bablefish to translate. Enter English and translate, just remember to translate back to English to see how close it converted your words. http://babelfish.yah...m/translate_txt

Bruno,

Thanks Chateau de Chien,
I've been looking for a site like that.
S

#1561 stealth

stealth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

TR

T&S,

Bruno,

Thanks Chateau de Chien,
I've been looking for a site like that.
S

Don't think that Bruno will answer. I have already tried to PM him few times as I am also going to move the way Bruno was starting. I did translate to Portuguese. But let us see.

#1562 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:01 AM

Heard back from Bruno. As you can see, no translation needed. Email us if you would like his email address.
i550watershed@yahoo.com
Cheers!
S&T

Susan, We are about to finish the hull. Soon we will update our blog with photos and more info. http://380i550.blogspot.com.br/ For any question, you can pass my e-mail to others builders. Best Regards, Bruno

#1563 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

An update on plan set numbers , 454, 455, and 456. The fleet continues to grow at a steady pace. It has been affected by the ecomonic conditions that we all are experiencing. In response to that we have the cheapest special on KITS we have ever offered. i550sportboat.com
Now for an obscure note. The 450 to 464 series of numbers is sort of dear to my heart as it was assigned to The Rio Grande narrow guage steam engines that worked the Rocky Mountains where I live. Two have survived. 463 and 464. 463 has been placed back in service on the Cumbres and Toltec RR after a 10 year volunteer driven complete rebuild. I'd like to chalenge you SA'ers to turn up the nickname of these hundred year old locomotives. A clue : K27

#1564 amc

amc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:22 PM

petticoat junction ??

#1565 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

not even close, but you broke my tenuous grasp of concentration

#1566 amc

amc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:25 PM

oh right I thought the show had a 460 steam loco on it based on the cannonball route.

#1567 Dawg_House

Dawg_House

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:32 AM

An update on plan set numbers , 454, 455, and 456. The fleet continues to grow at a steady pace. It has been affected by the ecomonic conditions that we all are experiencing. In response to that we have the cheapest special on KITS we have ever offered. i550sportboat.com
Now for an obscure note. The 450 to 464 series of numbers is sort of dear to my heart as it was assigned to The Rio Grande narrow guage steam engines that worked the Rocky Mountains where I live. Two have survived. 463 and 464. 463 has been placed back in service on the Cumbres and Toltec RR after a 10 year volunteer driven complete rebuild. I'd like to chalenge you SA'ers to turn up the nickname of these hundred year old locomotives. A clue : K27

It would not be Mud Hens?
And for the many good racers out of Toledo & North Cape Yacht Clubs.

Attached Files

#1568 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

Yes, MUDHEN, is correct. ding ding ding

Named after the Prarie Chicken hens that are the color of mud locally. The old locomotives sort of waddled about on rough track and in the sage too.

#1569 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

The i550 Wild Child competed in the long and grueling Mug Race this past weekend. For those that don't know, the Mug Race is from Palatka to Orange Park on the St John's river. It is about 38 miles. I was supposed to be on the F24 Wet Monkey, but personal issues kept me from doing the race this year. The F24 was tenth over the line and Wild Child I believe was 14 or 15 over the line. A great result in what was 0 to 5 conditions all day. The F24 took over 11 hours to finish and of 110 boats that started, only 50 finished the race. Well done Wild Child.

Results will eventually be up here

#1570 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

I've updated the blog entry about the centerline articulating sprit used in the PDX boats with some additional photos and some more building information.

We are currently selling both the raw sprit collars and the forestay tangs.

Check out the blog here:

http://i550na.org/er...it-construction

Part prices and contact info can be found there.

#1571 K9u20

K9u20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

My first time racing the Mug Race. Wanted to do it for many years. Finally did. Tough conditions but a great race. The 550 was impressive and looked really good. Would love to see a fleet of these develop in the Southeast to do some OD racing.

#1572 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

So, PDX #4 was wrapped up this weekend...

Attached File  IMG_0564.jpg   999.63K   13 downloads

#1573 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

The i550... not just a boat, but also a picnic table...

Attached File  IMG_0568.jpg   992.65K   15 downloads

The weather was nice and it was a long day of finishing up. Seemed that a BBQ was in order.

#1574 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

#3 fitted out and #4 out of the shop...

Attached File  IMG_0574.jpg   998.43K   25 downloads

The i550... BITCHES DIG 'EM!!

#1575 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

My first time racing the Mug Race. Wanted to do it for many years. Finally did. Tough conditions but a great race. The 550 was impressive and looked really good. Would love to see a fleet of these develop in the Southeast to do some OD racing.

There is a fleet slowly developing here. Mine (Frankenstein) is all but launched. Would have been in the water a couple of weeks ago but personal issues got in the way. I did the Mug race on the F24 several years but missed the last two. I had at one time hoped the i550 would be ready, but that did not work out. Next year.

Meanwhile, the i550 is really more of a restricted development boat rather than a true one design. The hull shapes and the performance seem to be ending up close regardless of configuration as all are based on the same design. So, in the end, it is our own special form of a one design. Fun to build and fun to sail. Look for Frank out there in the next few weeks. Black hull, white and grey flush deck. Black and white Spinnaker.

Within the next 6 months or so, there should be about 3 or 4 more i550's hitting the water in the SE.

#1576 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:28 AM

Meanwhile, the i550 is really more of a restricted development boat rather than a true one design.

The i550 is still a OD. Restricted Develpment, yes, but still OD. Nobody would say that the I-14, Moth, or Europe isn't a OD. And most would say that the TP 52 and Open 40 classes are also a OD class. The similarities between builds and a common set of OD rules unite the class and US Sailing does recognize the class (at least the North American Class) as a OD as well.

#1577 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:20 AM

Does anyone know where to get one of those face palm photos? Maybe, in this case, the double face palm?

#1578 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:11 AM

Meanwhile, the i550 is really more of a restricted development boat rather than a true one design.

The i550 is still a OD. Restricted Develpment, yes, but still OD. Nobody would say that the I-14, Moth, or Europe isn't a OD. And most would say that the TP 52 and Open 40 classes are also a OD class. The similarities between builds and a common set of OD rules unite the class and US Sailing does recognize the class (at least the North American Class) as a OD as well.

Suppose that's true, but most seem to think as One Design meaning, well, all alike. All J24, J105, Melges 20, 24, ETC. Not going to get that with the i550. So while we are a sort of one design in that the hulls are all pretty much the same, just about everything else is different boat to boat. The North American Class has it's idea of what a i550 One Design is and the i550Class has a different one. Being the first to send in a form to US Sailing does not make one class more right than the other. Hey, maybe they are both wrong and the Aussies got it right. Overall, I just think it is better if people think of the i550 as what it really is and not expect some kind of Viper 640 One Design.

#1579 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:31 AM

Yeah, I'll agree with you there. Most people think "Laser" or "Melges 24" or something along those lines when they hear One Design. But the reality is that there are plenty of other examples of OD boats that are not exactly the same, but instead simply share a large number of common characteristics. The i550 falls into that category at this point. Maybe some day they will be more standardized, but the subtle differences from boat to boat, at this point, are not likely going to create mind numbing differences in speed.

#1580 F15 AUS

F15 AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

Never hered anyone think of a TP52 as an OD boat. Box Rule, but not OD.

Would you say an 18 foot skiff is OD or restricted development?

#1581 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,221 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

18 footer hulls are the same from 2 builders,. one in the Nthn Hemis.

Rig are restricted and not strict OD eh, alot of good development happening there

#1582 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

OK, thank you GS.

The i550 hulls are so easily built to plan specs that the hulls are nearly identical. 6 mm marine ply is used for everything. doubled up in some places to be tough and take loads.
The CHINE is back in style. It has always been fast. Now all the plastico boats are getting them.
WOODIE DESIGNS -----STAR LIGHTNING SNIPE I550
We think the i550 might be able to establish itself in the ranks of these great boats.
Fun fast boats.
A DIY i550 is the cheapest new boat you can have.
A Watershed kit is cheap right now.
A watershed built i550 is in the low twenties.

We are encouraging community sailing programs to consider the i550.
High Schools and Colleges need this sort of boat to get out of the slow lane and actually teach some practical skills.
A group of Sea Scouts is building an i550 in Florida. Probly gonna kick the yacht club's ass, again. They are just across the bay but a world away.

I am going to adopt the very successful Viper.org tactic and become annoyingly persistent all over the place.
Apologies to Scot T (but I think he might be quietly entertained by the brash new marketing strategy).

Attached File  i550 Logo.jpg   356.49K   6 downloads

#1583 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

The i550.org site has been taken down.

The creator, FireballMatt, has been pivotal in the growth of the i550 sportboat. He started the site nearly five years ago on a volunteer basis and has been an incredible asset.

The i550 world is indebted to him and his efforts and support of the i550.

Watershed Sailboats (T&S) especially thank Matt for helping put the i550 on the map.

i550sportboat.com remains the source for Plans and all the other stuff.

Watershed Sailboats & i550class.org are the place to go for all the knowledge and how to build stuff.

Matt, thank you, warmest wishes in all your continuing activities.

#1584 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

OK, thank you GS.

The i550 hulls are so easily built to plan specs that the hulls are nearly identical. 6 mm marine ply is used for everything. doubled up in some places to be tough and take loads.
The CHINE is back in style. It has always been fast. Now all the plastico boats are getting them.
WOODIE DESIGNS -----STAR LIGHTNING SNIPE I550
We think the i550 might be able to establish itself in the ranks of these great boats.
Fun fast boats.
A DIY i550 is the cheapest new boat you can have.
A Watershed kit is cheap right now.
A watershed built i550 is in the low twenties.

We are encouraging community sailing programs to consider the i550.
High Schools and Colleges need this sort of boat to get out of the slow lane and actually teach some practical skills.
A group of Sea Scouts is building an i550 in Florida. Probly gonna kick the yacht club's ass, again. They are just across the bay but a world away.

I am going to adopt the very successful Viper.org tactic and become annoyingly persistent all over the place.
Apologies to Scot T (but I think he might be quietly entertained by the brash new marketing strategy).

Attached File  i550 Logo.jpg   356.49K   6 downloads

I'd be careful being annoyingly persistent when you have a boat that looks like this:

Posted Image

#1585 SailAR

SailAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

does that blue thing give you splinters as well? :P

#1586 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

if you wanted to spend you spare time building a boat instead of spending it actually sailing - why wouldn't you go this route? http://www.buildinga...50/Welcome.html

http://shaw650.com/media/

does that blue thing give you splinters as well? :P

#1587 SoAPieceOfStringWalksIntoABar...

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

if you wanted to spend you spare time building a boat instead of spending it actually sailing - why wouldn't you go this route? http://www.buildinga...50/Welcome.html

That's a really different boat- it's double the weight so at least double the cost, sails 4 up instead of 2, etc. It'd be just as rational to compare the VX to a Viper...

#1588 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

That's a really different boat- it's double the weight so at least double the cost, sails 4 up instead of 2, etc. It'd be just as rational to compare the VX to a Viper...

The VX is really a nice boat, well made, well thought out, and fun to sail. You know, you just write a check for an amount that is not too high, and hit the water planing away. No year and a half of work before ever getting wet. No breathing fumes and clogging up the lungs and killing brain cells. Just splash it and go with a big grin.

Viper's fun too, just an older design.

#1589 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

I really like the VX. Wish it was around when we started this project 2 years ago.

But we are pot committed at this point with 4 i550s built, a class association, 2 more near done local boats and a queue of interested builders locally.

Just missed the timing.

PS Nice boat Tim. Didn't think you actually had a boat of your own.

#1590 SoAPieceOfStringWalksIntoABar...

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

The VX is really a nice boat, well made, well thought out, and fun to sail. You know, you just write a check for an amount that is not too high, and hit the water planing away. No year and a half of work before ever getting wet. No breathing fumes and clogging up the lungs and killing brain cells. Just splash it and go with a big grin.

sigh

#1591 cstay

cstay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

I have raced on Vipers some and they are defiantly a super fun boat to race. So why build a boat like an i550 instead of buying a Viper? Well for one its less expensive and i really enjoy the process. I have learned allot: Boat design, Foil Design, Composites, How to work with lead. I think in the end the process of building a boat from scratch and figuring out many issues and different options i will be a better sailor for it. It defiantly wont be the best one design racing in the world when its done. But how cool will it be to race next to someone with a straight sprit vs an articulating sprit and see which is better in what conditions. or someone with a jibing keel. It will be interesting to see how a complicated hard to sail boat competes vs a simple easy to sail boat. Years in the future it will give me ideas when setting up another boat what things work and what dont so i will be able to maximize the performance of whatever boat i am racing to the extent of the rules.

#1592 TexLex

TexLex

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

+++1

I have raced on Vipers some and they are defiantly a super fun boat to race. So why build a boat like an i550 instead of buying a Viper? Well for one its less expensive and i really enjoy the process. I have learned allot: Boat design, Foil Design, Composites, How to work with lead. I think in the end the process of building a boat from scratch and figuring out many issues and different options i will be a better sailor for it. It defiantly wont be the best one design racing in the world when its done. But how cool will it be to race next to someone with a straight sprit vs an articulating sprit and see which is better in what conditions. or someone with a jibing keel. It will be interesting to see how a complicated hard to sail boat competes vs a simple easy to sail boat. Years in the future it will give me ideas when setting up another boat what things work and what dont so i will be able to maximize the performance of whatever boat i am racing to the extent of the rules.

#1593 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

Well said, cstay. There are some of us who actually enjoy building. Beats the hell out of watching TV.

#1594 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

I really like the VX. Wish it was around when we started this project 2 years ago.

But we are pot committed at this point with 4 i550s built, a class association, 2 more near done local boats and a queue of interested builders locally.

Just missed the timing.

PS Nice boat Tim. Didn't think you actually had a boat of your own.

Well this has been fun so far. Had my go in the other threads in sportboat anarchy to bring note to the i550's.

The larger group of i550 builders are remarkable gentlemen and I appreciate the positive comments we receive from them.

I will point out that 5 of the i550's mentioned in the precceding quote are kit sets made in the Watershed Shop.

They consist of Hull Panels and Bulkheads and enough ply panels to complete the boat. One of the near-done boats is by a High school student with support from his dad. It is a great project.
The kit set apparently produces nice boats.
All the builders have given feedback to which I pay attention.
Building a boat takes persistence. I tip my hat to anyone who tries.
T

#1595 teener

teener

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:55 AM

Are the PDX I550s going to do VLSC this year?

#1596 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:42 AM

We are trying.

Did some rigging work today on #3 & #4. #1 is at VLSC now ready to sail. Will be picking up finished masts Monday. Keels have been faired and painted; need to lift the boats and fit the keels next week. Really close. Just need to push through.

#1597 Dawg_House

Dawg_House

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

We are trying.

Did some rigging work today on #3 & #4. #1 is at VLSC now ready to sail. Will be picking up finished masts Monday. Keels have been faired and painted; need to lift the boats and fit the keels next week. Really close. Just need to push through.

Eric,
How is Stephen coming with his Senior Class Project? After 4 or 5 months of work it looks like he is close to splashing. He has done a very nice job and should get an A+ grade.
http://www.i550na.org./dave/blog

#1598 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

We are all at the same point. Finishing and fitting keels & hardware and masts. I'll be picking up Stephen's rig on Monday also.

His boat looks great. I signed off all his papers the other week as his mentor for the project. Told him that he should post his build notes; they are very detailed and well written. They would make an excellent build guide.

#1599 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

We are all at the same point. Finishing and fitting keels & hardware and masts. I'll be picking up Stephen's rig on Monday also.

His boat looks great. I signed off all his papers the other week as his mentor for the project. Told him that he should post his build notes; they are very detailed and well written. They would make an excellent build guide.

ahh,,so it's helpful to actually build a boat in order to make a build guide?!?!? :o

#1600 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

ahh,,so it's helpful to actually build a boat in order to make a build guide?!?!? :o

Ahh, surf de couch, sometimes life gets in the way ... last several months have not been the easiest.
Stephen's blog looks wonderful & he & his dad have done a wonderful job on their Watershed kit. It used to be builders would call & email Tim for help. And that was enough.
We will get the guide out, can't promise when... as we have more serious issues to deal with right now. Also you can always go to i550class.org for "friendly advice," and Chad has drawn some excellent computer renderings of internal fittings and structure. etc., that he will share freely with legal hull numbers. And has our permission to do so ...
Maybe one day, the i550 group can join under the "Big Tent," philosophy. But what do we know, we're "naive."?
Miss your funny posts & pictures...
Susan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users