what a shit show

That it is

#1702 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • Interests:970-507-0428. Recognized Owner of the i550 design and main hawker of all things i550, Owner of Watershed Sailboats with Susan, my wife. Challenging Woodworking (the regular stuff is boring).

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:27 PM

We are actively working on a good solution. As tempting as it is to just pile on, please give us a couple of days to negotiate a positive outcome.
Timber

#1703 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Interests:Traveling to far away sailing venues and terrorizing the locals!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

The largest gathering of i550s in world history!

Attached File  IMG_0101.jpg   967.81K   118 downloads

PDX #1 -> #4 (left to right). Now affectionately known as "blue", "green", "black" & "red".

#1704 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

Weighing and installing keels on Sunday...

Attached File  IMG_0087.jpg   927.98K   58 downloads

The boats are all pretty consistent with weight decreasing from build #1 to build #4.

Rigs go on next and we'll be sailing 4 boats by the end of the month.

Sorry that the Moran's couldn't make it; we could have set the record with FIVE boats in one place at one time.

#1705 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

The largest gathering of i550s in world history!

Attached File  IMG_0101.jpg   967.81K   118 downloads

PDX #1 -> #4 (left to right). Now affectionately known as "blue", "green", "black" & "red".

NICE!!!

#1706 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

Here is the problem as I see it.
http://www.i550.org/
http://i550na.org/
http://i550class.org/
http://open550.blogspot.com/

There seems to be 4 web sites in the US offering different visions of i550 and none of them seem to like anybody else. Why would anyone want to dip into this bucket of crap. Sorry but that just the way it is.

...actually,,,I'm considering starting another,MUCH BETTER class,, http://veryopen550.ca/
.....5.5meterOA,,,,,,, a flat panel bottom ,,,,,,close to same spar length maximums and weight as i550 so as not to obsolete the poor things ,,,,,,and otherwise anything goes :)

.......''''punctuation''''' is -----unlimited------!!!!!!!!! :D

Too bad...I already paid for the domain name "XtremelyOpen550.org"
You'll just have to take a backseat to my new classless class.

#1707 TexLex

TexLex

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:58 PM

The boats are all pretty consistent with weight decreasing from build #1 to build #4.

Sorry that the Moran's couldn't make it; we could have set the record with FIVE boats in one place at one time.

Congrats guys. Looking great!

#1708 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • Interests:970-507-0428. Recognized Owner of the i550 design and main hawker of all things i550, Owner of Watershed Sailboats with Susan, my wife. Challenging Woodworking (the regular stuff is boring).

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

VERY NICE Portland!!! If boats usually have female names, is it polite to weigh them in public?????????????? Looking GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CS: Re; Too bad...I already paid for the domain name "XtremelyOpen550.org"You'll just have to take a backseat to my new classless class.
Darn, we already spent $9.95 registering "XXXXLOpeningSoon550.org" Your's is much better, but we can use more punctuation...................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
S&TPosted Image

#1709 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

Once we get 30-40 different classes going, maybe we can all come together and have a big regatta somewhere? An "i550 Regatta for All The Classes Except for the Ruling Class" event?

All Hail John Lennon and Groucho Marx.

#1710 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

How about posting those weights? Few have ever weighed theirs and yet is has been a much discussed issue.

At this point, just about every boat sailing is it's own class. None are alike, just similar. We may already have 20 plus classes world wide!

#1711 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:00 AM

At this point, just about every boat sailing is it's own class. None are alike, just similar. We may already have 20 plus classes world wide!

...the -very open- class has tolerances sooooo open that it is illegal to NOT be included,,even if yer don't have a boat :P

congratulations portland!,,,I'm lookihg forward to adding another to the picture soon!

#1712 steveromagnino

steveromagnino

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:52 AM

if you wanted to spend you spare time building a boat instead of spending it actually sailing - why wouldn't you go this route? http://www.buildinga...50/Welcome.html

That's a really different boat- it's double the weight so at least double the cost, sails 4 up instead of 2, etc. It'd be just as rational to compare the VX to a Viper...

Shaw 650 weighs 400kg (880lb) including engine, cat 5 safety gear, etc; weight of boat including rig, foils, deckgear etc is around 750-780lbs. So no, not double, slightly more for a boat that would be 1m longer.

Speed is quicker than all similar sized boats, and the boats rate around 95 under usa phrf, and are quicker on water than melges 24, viper, open 570, sb3 etc - they are indeed quite different from an i550 sailed 4 up or 3 upbut I need to correct any misconception.

#1713 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

How about posting those weights? Few have ever weighed theirs and yet is has been a much discussed issue.

Boat #1--complete boat all gear as required by i550 NACA rules--723# boat + 165# keel = 888# as sailed

The rest of the boats are completed hulls & keels; weight does not include mast/boom/rudder/most deck hardware
Boat #2--587# boat + 173# keel = 760#
Boat #3--578# boat + 168# keel = 746#
Boat #4--569# boat + 170.5# keel = 739.5#

The additions should be:
rudder + tiller = ~20#
mast + boom + rigging = ~45#
remaining deck hardware = ~5#
So, add ~70# to the above numbers; we'll update once we get definite numbers.

#1714 barnone

barnone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

@TeamGladiator
Congrats, that's quite an accomplishment. Is CGOD still on the table or has that ship sailed?

#1715 SoAPieceOfStringWalksIntoABar...

SoAPieceOfStringWalksIntoABar...

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

if you wanted to spend you spare time building a boat instead of spending it actually sailing - why wouldn't you go this route? http://www.buildinga...50/Welcome.html

That's a really different boat- it's double the weight so at least double the cost, sails 4 up instead of 2, etc. It'd be just as rational to compare the VX to a Viper...

Shaw 650 weighs 400kg (880lb) including engine, cat 5 safety gear, etc; weight of boat including rig, foils, deckgear etc is around 750-780lbs. So no, not double, slightly more for a boat that would be 1m longer.

Speed is quicker than all similar sized boats, and the boats rate around 95 under usa phrf, and are quicker on water than melges 24, viper, open 570, sb3 etc - they are indeed quite different from an i550 sailed 4 up or 3 upbut I need to correct any misconception.

Yeah, I just glanced at
http://www.buildingashaw650.com/Building_a_Shaw_650/The_Boat.html
... Which shows displacement at 1403#, whereas the official site shows that as the "sailing displacement". Didn't mean to cast neg aspersions toward the shaw, but it's still a different level of boat.

#1716 barnone

barnone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

@TeamGladiator et al PDX

On another note, half our crew is out of town this week and we are looking for 1-2 more to sail this wed (Hood River Marina). Forecast is mid-20's which usually means 15-30 type range.

If any of portland crew are intereted in sailing on a Rocket 22 tommorrow and can make boat call at 5:30, please PM me. Should be raining in PDX and sunny and beautiful out here.

Thx,
Chris

#1717 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

@TeamGladiator
Congrats, that's quite an accomplishment. Is CGOD still on the table or has that ship sailed?

We will definitely be there! It IS of course the west coast championship!

#1718 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

@TeamGladiator

...team 'rumblefish' is planning on Cgod as well!

#1719 barnone

barnone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:49 AM

@TeamGladiator

Congrats on CGOD. None of you i550 PDX guys can manage a race tomorrow in Hood River on the Rocket? I guarantee fun,

It's a guarantee, How can you pass that up?

#1720 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:12 AM

@TeamGladiator

Congrats on CGOD. None of you i550 PDX guys can manage a race tomorrow in Hood River on the Rocket? I guarantee fun,

It's a guarantee, How can you pass that up?

As fun as it sounds, and man does it sound fun, I've got work and more work. Then I need to get photos of this out sailing too:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=135967&st=0

#1721 barnone

barnone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:58 AM

As fun as it sounds, and man does it sound fun, I've got work and more work. Then I need to get photos of this out sailing too:

http://forums.sailin...pic=135967&st=0

lol...are you kidding me, THAT can definitely wait!

Classic!

#1722 -=koLLac=-

-=koLLac=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

It is early days. None of these factions are fully formed classes & it will shake out when more boats hit the water. We are working towards having a "Big Tent" approach that will combine all or at the very least cross over. Anybody can form a class. They have the right to assemble together and we cannot do anything about it. Some members belong to 2 classes. Australia went their own way as they have different rules.
With a positive attitude, we can come together. We are going to work with those with a "glass half full," mentality.
If you choose not to participate, that is your right.
Timber

Well said. I like this more positive approach way more. Cheers and good luck. I'd love to see more builds and more boats on the water!

#1723 SailingJD

SailingJD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:auto racing, sailing, the law

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

Though Watershed - Tim and Susan - have said the place to go for answers is the i550class site and those guys have class, I find I must come here to at least try to get some questions answered. I asked on that site and apparently as it was questioning the opinion of the forum administrator, I got flicked and my posts removed. Sort of 1984 if you ask me. Makes me question the comments by Tim and Susan about the quality of the folks that run that class.

It was stated that it is a myth that what the designer, Chris Beckwith, has said in the past, that any hull built that is within the tolerances of the rule set will not gain this undue advantage over another. That one can manipulate the hull shape and stay within the rules and the result will be a class killer boat. I disagreed. And got told I was wrong. Another person posted that so far, it seems that the more conservative versions have done pretty well and so the indication is that the different versions will be pretty close. He got told he was wrong as well.

I then asked the Admin (AKA Tim Ford) to answer the question about it and rephrased to a more specific question. What can modifying the bow shape give you in extra performance? Do you agree or disagree with Chris Beckwith's statements about how his modified shape will perform against say TTB? At that point I got flicked.

Every version of the i550 class rule set allows for the manipulation of the hull shape to one degree or another. It just seems to me that it is important to know what that ultimately means. As it is early in the game, a discussion about how the different possibilities will effect the potential performance is the only way to help decide what to do with your own i550. Until a lot of the different "versions" of the hull are out there sailing, we only have a few opinions to go by. Asking for a bit of back up information on those opinions seems like the logical thing to do. How else can we make informed decisions for ourselves? I guess we can sit on our hands and wait for a couple of years for more boats to be sailing. Or find a different boat to be involved with.

It seems to me that the best scenario is to have reasonable discussions and trade information and opinions without the risk of having someones overly large ego getting in the way.

#1724 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

You got flicked because we have been down that road so many times and the class members are weary of the discussion. I suggested to you that you should take the discussion to Sailing Anarchy or any other forum. You persisted, you got flicked.

I think it's a fabulous discussion to have elsewhere, so have fun with it! We are just really tired of it on the class site. As for the "big ego" part of it, anyone who has ever met me knows I am probably one of the most self-effacing, ego-less persons on the planet.

Nice try Joe! (aka TOTALXS)

#1725 SailingJD

SailingJD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

Odd, as I have never seen that discussion on the i550class site. And yet, the risk is there for your class as much as anywhere. And, once again, you think you know something you do not. I'm not Joe.

And by the way, it seems you started the discussion with your myth comment.

One more thing. Isn't it better for every class if the possible mods to the hull shape do not increase the overall performance anymore than say carbon fiber masts might? Doesn't that give everyone out there the more level racing that they are hoping for?

#1726 Timbo

Timbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Interests:Life's Short...

Sail Fast!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

As far as hull tolerances, the "Most Optimum" shape within the constraints of the i550 rules MIGHT have a 3-5% improvment.. I mean there is only so much that you can do with a 18' box.

I am willing to bet a case of Mt Gay that the sailing abilities of the i550 builders probably vary as much as 50% or more.

I think until LOTS of i's are out there and folks learn how to sail them, all this 1/2" shit +/- is as important as a Nat's Ass.

Quit bitchin folks and get sailing.

my .02

#1727 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

ahh,JayyDeee,,I feel your pain :(
....that's why I'm setting-up the veryopen560class.org where almost anything goes.
...flat bottom panel,,,max5.6m.o.a.,,a total sparlength within 5% of i550's......

..the concept,rules and site are currently 'under-construction',
,,,until someone comes along who knows how to set up a site :)

..your point about the performance differences between carbon and alloy spars,
and all other variables,,,yes methinks there's a lot of flux,,
,,,enough that -any- 550rule is a open box-rule at best,,
,,and especially with the demographic of person who bothers to build one of these,
,,it'll take some time before people even bother to sharpen the variables within the box,if EVER ;)
,,personally,,I plan to keep in the resourcefulness box,,and gain maximum satisfaction anytime I manage to finish in front of any carbon spars :P

#1728 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

Go for it, dude! :lol:

#1729 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

As far as hull tolerances, the "Most Optimum" shape within the constraints of the i550 rules MIGHT have a 3-5% improvment.. I mean there is only so much that you can do with a 18' box.

I am willing to bet a case of Mt Gay that the sailing abilities of the i550 builders probably vary as much as 50% or more.

I think until LOTS of i's are out there and folks learn how to sail them, all this 1/2" shit +/- is as important as a Nat's Ass.

my .02

.....well said!

...methinks a very relevant and funny point is that it's quite unlikely that most people who build one of these will -ever- be the type who -campaigns- nationally.
...I think we've got a bunch of people who generally have a pretty full life outside of sailing ,,who occaisonally make it to a regional event! :)

#1730 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

Ahhhh Grasshoppers,
We are in double secret probation talks (that's an Animal House reference for all you younguns) with the powers that be ... all we need is to get the Dali Lama on board & we are good to go ..............

Stay tuned campers. All (well, almost) will be well, as long as we can figure out the extent of extra punctuation that will be tolerated
S&T
P.S. Open to discussion: The Tin Hat Rule. Who gets to wear it, dimension of materials (tin foil vs. real tin) & height of spout allowed?Posted Image

#1731 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

my .02

I have Joe on ignore, but I will respond to this because I respect your opinion and know you have contributed to the dialogue.

So, let's take the bottom end of your "MIGHT"...how many boatlengths is 3% over a 4.2 nm course?

You sail in a the Viper class...how many mods have you done on the Viper? (You left the i550 to sail in a one design fleet)

As stated again and again (look it up) I have no complaints with Chris's Open 550 idea, the Portland Group or the concept of allowing whatever mod you want to make to the i550. I just can't figure out why there is a core group of individuals who constantly give us grief for wanting to stick to a more closely defined class rule set. It's gotten a little weird. We don't badger people on the internet, we build our boats quietly and we vocally support the fleet attempts anywhere on the planet (look it up). For engaging in that, we have a few stalkers who want to come on-line and side-track the discussion.

Some people like PHRF, some people like OD. In this case, it's like the PHRF crowd has come out to give us grief. When they do, they politely are shown the door.

But I appreciate your sentiments and I'd be happy to test my sailing abilities against yours on a neutral platform at a neutral venue any time! ;)

#1732 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

Ahhhh Grasshoppers,
We are in double secret probation talks (that's an Animal House reference for all you younguns) with the powers that be ... all we need is to get the Dali Lama on board & we are good to go ..............

Stay tuned campers. All (well, almost) will be well, as long as we can figure out the extent of extra punctuation that will be tolerated
S&T
P.S. Open to discussion: The Tin Hat Rule. Who gets to wear it, dimension of materials (tin foil vs. real tin) & height of spout allowed?Posted Image

...and the BIG question,,what maximum size for piping????

Attached File  big bong.jpg   11.51K   4 downloadsAttached File  up in smoke.jpg   8.43K   1 downloads

.......PS........his holiness is spelt D-A-L-A-I
..........................or do yer mean salvador Dali-Laama???..there's a rather large difference,,though I imagine they'd both have enjoyed meeting each other,,as well as 'tin-hat-man'

Attached File  dalai lama.jpg   5.02K   0 downloadsAttached File  Salvador_Dali_NYWTS.jpg   17.26K   0 downloads

........and it would have been interesting to see how the melting watches would have effected traditional tanka painting style,,,or i550's for that matter!!

Attached File  Dali.jpg   7.41K   0 downloadsAttached File  tibetan tanka.jpg   17.31K   0 downloads

#1733 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:16 PM

.............As stated again and again (look it up) I have no complaints with Chris's Open 550 idea, the Portland Group or the concept of allowing whatever mod you want to make to the i550. I just can't figure out why there is a core group of individuals who constantly give us grief for wanting to stick to a more closely defined class rule set. It's gotten a little weird. We don't badger people on the internet, we build our boats quietly and we vocally support the fleet attempts anywhere on the planet (look it up). For engaging in that, we have a few stalkers who want to come on-line and side-track the discussion.

Some people like PHRF, some people like OD. In this case, it's like the PHRF crowd has come out to give us grief. When they do, they politely are shown the door.

But I appreciate your sentiments and I'd be happy to test my sailing abilities against yours on a neutral platform at a neutral venue any time! ;)

...I appreciate what you're saying Tim,,good to have a class to preserve the full cabin 550 so camping and racing are both given priority,, as much as more racey versions of the design can have their place,,,,,respect allround,,,,hard to 'get' the rest :)

..I may be naive,,but is it possible that 'sailingJD' was someone new,,just stumbling into i550world,,with some naive,newby,relevant questions,,,like me last year????? :blink: :o

#1734 Timbo

Timbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Interests:Life's Short...

Sail Fast!

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:45 AM

my .02

I have Joe on ignore, but I will respond to this because I respect your opinion and know you have contributed to the dialogue.

So, let's take the bottom end of your "MIGHT"...how many boatlengths is 3% over a 4.2 nm course?

You sail in a the Viper class...how many mods have you done on the Viper? (You left the i550 to sail in a one design fleet)

As stated again and again (look it up) I have no complaints with Chris's Open 550 idea, the Portland Group or the concept of allowing whatever mod you want to make to the i550. I just can't figure out why there is a core group of individuals who constantly give us grief for wanting to stick to a more closely defined class rule set. It's gotten a little weird. We don't badger people on the internet, we build our boats quietly and we vocally support the fleet attempts anywhere on the planet (look it up). For engaging in that, we have a few stalkers who want to come on-line and side-track the discussion.

Thanks for the sentiments, and I do miss some of the banter of the early days of the i550 growth. In order:

3% is huge over a 4.2 mi course, no doubt. I know snarfin' up that gybe or missing that shift because you were playing with your latest go-fast do-dad is a far greater penalty. I know they have even tweeked the Star recently and the new "optimum" shape seems better. Could I tell the difference? no way...

As to the Vipe, yes I did a couple of modifications... I added a blk to get a 16:1 purchase on my gnav, and I think some stick on adult beverage holders are in order. And my 1st preference is one design, and as simple of a boat as possible. I have sailed on both ends of this game, from full open development classes to very strict builder controled. They are all good, the speed and strings of the development boats are fun, But but my best racing memories have been in the stricter classes. And I think we will have a great group of Vipers's next weekend @ my club and I am totaly happy with my choice of boat.

I think the i550 concept is great, there are obvious growing pains, but that is a good thing.... growing.... and I am not calling ANYBODY out, just commenting on the typical range of skill in any group of people.

I'll bring the rum... B)

#1735 teener

teener

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

3%, please. Things like LWL, weight, and sail area are way more important than the differences in hull shape available in the rules. There's no way you are going to see a 3% difference.

#1736 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

3%, please. Things like LWL, weight, and sail area are way more important than the differences in hull shape available in the rules. There's no way you are going to see a 3% difference.

...just how do those things matter when there's no limit to spinnaker size ;)
......how do yer spell CodeZero <_<

#1737 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:57 PM

Couchsurfer, you are right. There are no limits on jib size, no real limits on main size, no limits on spinnaker size, no limits on the types of rig or appendages, it is all but impossible to build the forward sections without manipulating the hull shape and yet we have a small group of people crying foul that everyone but them is wrong and the i550class has the answer. Even though the boats they are most likely to point to as far as hull shape changes go still pass their hull measurements.

All three classes share the same risk. That the designer is wrong and someone will modify their hull shape within the rules and beat everyone else so badly that to be competitive, everyone must go build or buy that new hull. If we believe Tim Ford, that is exactly what will happen. Now why would he fight so hard to be right about that? Why is he and the others like him not fighting hard to have the designer right? Isn't that what would be the best scenario for all the i550 classes? Is it to hide the benefits of what else they are doing to their boats, like gypping keels and canting rudders? Or are they just so egotistical that they need to right right even if it costs them big? I don't know.

I do know this, the smart ones among us are not worried about the slight differences in hull forms, the canting rudders and and rotating carbon fiber masts. The smart ones among us are looking at what has happened in Australia so far and realizing that how well you prep and sail your boat is what will matter most in the end.

A friend recently compared the future racing of i550's to level racing boats like the J35, S35 and T35. I find the idea interesting. If those widely different designs can have close racing, then I would think seeing close racing among all the i550 variants would be a given. Anyone out there have experience with level racing?

#1738 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

Couchsurfer, you are right. There are no limits on jib size, no real limits on main size, no limits on spinnaker size, no limits on the types of rig or appendages, it is all but impossible to build the forward sections without manipulating the hull shape and yet we have a small group of people crying foul that everyone but them is wrong and the i550class has the answer. Even though the boats they are most likely to point to as far as hull shape changes go still pass their hull measurements.

All three classes share the same risk. That the designer is wrong and someone will modify their hull shape within the rules and beat everyone else so badly that to be competitive, everyone must go build or buy that new hull. If we believe Tim Ford, that is exactly what will happen. Now why would he fight so hard to be right about that? Why is he and the others like him not fighting hard to have the designer right? Isn't that what would be the best scenario for all the i550 classes? Is it to hide the benefits of what else they are doing to their boats, like gypping keels and canting rudders? Or are they just so egotistical that they need to right right even if it costs them big? I don't know.

I do know this, the smart ones among us are not worried about the slight differences in hull forms, the canting rudders and and rotating carbon fiber masts. The smart ones among us are looking at what has happened in Australia so far and realizing that how well you prep and sail your boat is what will matter most in the end.

A friend recently compared the future racing of i550's to level racing boats like the J35, S35 and T35. I find the idea interesting. If those widely different designs can have close racing, then I would think seeing close racing among all the i550 variants would be a given. Anyone out there have experience with level racing?

...heh,,there's something quite wonderful about having abused my brain to the point of having virtually -no- memory.....not only are movies -new release- every time,,,but I also have no memory or recall to the various names people have from one site to another,,
,,making it very easy to take a 'neutral' stance through all this stuff.
.....all I know is that overall I'll bet i550 sailors have -many- more things in common than differences in the end,,,doesn't take the DalaiLlama to point that out ;)

...and yeh,just like 'level' racing,,various boats and sailors will shine through various conditions :D

#1739 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

Couch Surfer,
Re:

...heh,,there's something quite wonderful about having abused my brain to the point of having virtually -no- memory.....not only are movies -new release- every time,,,but I also have no memory or recall to the various names people have from one site to another,,
,,making it very easy to take a 'neutral' stance through all this stuff.
.....all I know is that overall I'll bet i550 sailors have -many- more things in common than differences in the end,,,doesn't take the DalaiLlama to point that out ;)

...and yeh,just like 'level' racing,,various boats and sailors will shine through various conditions :D

Couch Surfer,
You must have more brain cells than I do, at least you know how to spell DalaiLlama.
We are working on a promising solution behind the scenes.
Happy Saturday or Sunday or whatever day it is where you are to all.
S&TPosted Image

#1740 teener

teener

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

I thought we were talking about hull shape.

#1741 teener

teener

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:14 PM

There's a 30 foot class out there too. S2 9.1, Olson 911, etc... They seem to enjoy good racing.
Plenty of dinghies go the same speed around a WL course. Snipe, V15, Coronado 15, etc... One wonders why they worry about one-design nonsense in areas where the numbers are low.

#1742 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:41 AM

... I was agreeing with you...yer can do any tweeks to your hull,,
,,,but yer better have a bigger 'womper' than I've got,,or it's irrelevant. :)

...there's many variables beyond hullshape,,level class,as you say,is about as good as we get and that's fine with me

#1743 101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:26 AM

...there's many variables beyond hullshape,,level class,as you say,is about as good as we get and that's fine with me

+1
I think a level class approach is a great way to look at the i550. After all the boats are home built with a wide variety between builder skills. The boats aren't going to be exact anyway.

#1744 grunter's i550

grunter's i550

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

......how do yer spell CodeZero Posted Image

+1
I think a level class approach is a great way to look at the i550. After all the boats are home built with a wide variety between builder skills. The boats aren't going to be exact anyway.

#1745 grunter's i550

grunter's i550

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

Why don't you people stop argueing and bickering and start building and finishing boats!

Just put my boat in one piece today.

another boat in aus short cabin real i550 just wanting to sail against other i550's.
If you want to sail an i550 just build one and stop bitchin about it.
I'm building one to have fun with my mates and have some good racing.

#1746 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Interests:rum, boats, girls and rum

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

Us Aussies just build and go sailing. This has turned into the biggest most boring thread to read now,

#1747 grunter's i550

grunter's i550

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:43 AM

Us Aussies just build and go sailing. This has turned into the biggest most boring thread to read now,

I agree tokyo.

if more people spent time building rather that being on the forum there would be 200 + i550's sailing by now!

#1748 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

I agree tokyo.

if more people spent time building rather that being on the forum there would be 200 + i550's sailing by now!

...what fun would THAT be?? ;)

#1749 fdsailor

fdsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

I agree tokyo.

Indeed. I just checked this expecting 70 pages of homebuilt boat porn and lots of interesting technical stuff, and maybe some race reports and videos...what a let-down! Just a small point - anyone who thinks they are racing a 'one-design' hull in almost any class is kidding themselves...just look at the expense the 49ers had to go through to correct tiny discrepancies which were making big differences to speed (if the report is to believed). If you're going to get your tits in a fankle over stuff like this, you should definitely not be building a restricted or 'OD' class boat at home, when even the pros can't get it tight without a load of money and CNC molds etc. Most of the people who have actually BUILT an i550 seem plenty happy with the boats, isn't it happy people who make a class??? Less bitchin', more building! :ph34r:

#1750 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

....... Just a small point - anyone who thinks they are racing a 'one-design' hull in almost any class is kidding themselves...

..so true,,it's incredible the variations within something as simple as lasers :blink:

#1751 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

Couch Surfer,
......We are working on a promising solution behind the scenes........

...howsitgoin' ;)
...no news is good news?? :rolleyes:

#1752 SailingJD

SailingJD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

Still no word on what's up with the i550 world? How about a hint? Some of us would like to make a decision about what direction to go.

#1753 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

Still no word on what's up with the i550 world? How about a hint? Some of us would like to make a decision about what direction to go.

..sorry,,,too busy building our boats,,prepping for upcoming races in the NW..

..... you-too Timber? ;)

#1754 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

..... you-too Timber? ;)

Hopefully, we will have an announcement in the next couple of days.
Stay tuned campers ...
S&TPosted Image

#1755 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:48 AM

..... you-too Timber? ;)

Hopefully, we will have an announcement in the next couple of days.
Stay tuned campers ...
S&TPosted Image

Attached File  suspense.jpg   2.39K   1 downloadsAttached File  suspense.jpg5.jpg   5.21K   4 downloads Attached File  suspense.jpg2.jpg   2.89K   2 downloadsAttached File  suspense.jpg6.jpg   4.54K   3 downloads

#1756 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:19 AM

Add Paris , France to the locations for plan sets.

#1757 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

POKER FACE (FKA PDX #4) SAILS...

Attached File  Detroit Lake Downwind.jpg   998.13K   70 downloads

A few more details to sort & refine; not the best conditions for a first sail on the boat.

#1758 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

The Open 550 site is back up. No promised announcements from Watershed and a rumor or two that things are moving forward with the Open concept. Might get interesting soon.

#1759 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

The Open 550 site is back up. No promised announcements from Watershed and a rumor or two that things are moving forward with the Open concept. Might get interesting soon.

TOTALXS,
If you're referring to Elroy's announcement on Dot.org, early this a.m. when you clicked on the Open 550, what you got "Sorry the page you are looking for does not exist." And elroy is announcing he's moving on to a bigger boat design.
We haven't made any announcements as none of the proposed classes has advised us that they are planning to formalize. Still early days. Many more boats hitting the water. We will continue to be the keepers of legitimate hull numbers until formalized classes have an AGM, elect officers etc.
I am working on the map. Will announce new hull numbers here today. If the status of your build has changed or moved or has been sold, please let us know, and I'll keep updating the map.
Has anyone been found yet who wants to take over the duties of the Australian site?
Cheers as usual!
S&T

#1760 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

I put on a suit and tie twice this summer for weddings and that's about as formal as I plan on getting for the next 6 months.
Joe, did you splash the Frankulator yet? I liked the shot with the jib up!

#1761 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

TOTALXS,
If you're referring to Elroy's announcement on Dot.org, early this a.m. when you clicked on the Open 550, what you got "Sorry the page you are looking for does not exist." And elroy is announcing he's moving on to a bigger boat design.
We haven't made any announcements as none of the proposed classes has advised us that they are planning to formalize. Still early days. Many more boats hitting the water. We will continue to be the keepers of legitimate hull numbers until formalized classes have an AGM, elect officers etc.
I am working on the map. Will announce new hull numbers here today. If the status of your build has changed or moved or has been sold, please let us know, and I'll keep updating the map.
Has anyone been found yet who wants to take over the duties of the Australian site?
Cheers as usual!
S&T

Ahhh, no. The Open550 site is back up. I've heard some things will be "announced" soon. Yes, Chris is going to build a 9.5 M version soon. Other things are being talked about. Oh and Elroy seems to work as well.

All of the "proposed" classes think they are real. Sorry you do not. The NA Class is also recognized by US Sailing, for what that's worth. All of them are certainly being a bit informal as the boats get built and hit the water. As Tim Ford says (note - artistic license taken here), tough to build with with a tux on, though there was a boat that sailed with full crew in tuxes a time or two. (well anyway, Tim MIGHT have said that...).

Frankenstein is looking for pitch forks and torches to come after me with as she has been neglected as of late. I am working on the very wild and a bit crazy new mast step to make raising the mast, well, possible (best laid plans and all that...)

The bottom line, the i550 is a great little boat to build and, as many more are finding out, even more fun to sail. And fun things are in the works.

#1762 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

Not going to join the "shit" show. If you can prove you got your hull# license from a legitimate source, we will honor it ... we will keep our battles with those who go back on their legal agreements off SA, but have heard some interesting chatter lately from the Portland racing set.
Hey T-Ford, Tim wants to know if your tie was a clip-on or a real one? You east coast guys are so classy. Colorado formal consists of shorts without paint or epoxy stains & flip flops. With all the weather extremes on the planet lately, we're feeling lucky just to be here.
Here's the hull # updates I promised.
464. Norfolk, CT

465. Caves Beach, New SouthWales, Australia

466.Gentilly, France

467. Denton, TX 76209

468.Clearwater, FL

469.Tigard, OR

470. Zadar, Croatia

S&T

Tim Reiter & Susan James

Watershed Sailboats

http://www.i550sportboat.com/

#1763 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:44 AM

ahh,hello!?..........mus'be full moooooontime again :unsure:

...still looking for someone to set up the superopen560.org website ;)

#1764 Dawg_House

Dawg_House

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:05 AM

...still looking for someone to set up the superopen560.org website ;)

I would like to hear more about a new Unified I550 site.
We were much stronger as one group than bickering factions.
Looks like two more blogs are down.

#1765 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

Not going to join the "shit" show. If you can prove you got your hull# license from a legitimate source, we will honor it ... we will keep our battles with those who go back on their legal agreements off SA, but have heard some interesting chatter lately from the Portland racing set.
Hey T-Ford, Tim wants to know if your tie was a clip-on or a real one? You east coast guys are so classy. Colorado formal consists of shorts without paint or epoxy stains & flip flops. With all the weather extremes on the planet lately, we're feeling lucky just to be here.

No shit fight and not a mention of illegal anything in my post. I am aware that the last posts on the Open550 site were about the issues between you and Chris, but they have nothing to do with why I think the Open 550 idea is a positive for everyone, including you, in the end. Not through illegal hull numbers, as there are currently none of those out there anyway, but through the idea that you can race what you brung. Meanwhile, anything I do with the Open550 guys will be above board and will not impact your business in any negative way.

I agree with Dawg_House that it is time for all the classes to join together and stop the nonsense.

#1766 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

5 NACA boats will be racIng on 8/11 in Portland. Guess that will be the largest OD meeting of i550s in world history.

#1767 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

5 NACA boats will be racIng on 8/11 in Portland. Guess that will be the largest OD meeting of i550s in world history.

...here's hoping!!! ;)

#1768 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

No shit fight and not a mention of illegal anything in my post. I am aware that the last posts on the Open550 site were about the issues between you and Chris, but they have nothing to do with why I think the Open 550 idea is a positive for everyone, including you, in the end. Not through illegal hull numbers, as there are currently none of those out there anyway, but through the idea that you can race what you brung. Meanwhile, anything I do with the Open550 guys will be above board and will not impact your business in any negative way.

I agree with Dawg_House that it is time for all the classes to join together and stop the nonsense.

It would be lovely if the classes would kiss & make up, but we do not see Hell freezing over anytime soon.

"Shit Show" was coined by those who were radically turned off by the last discussion of the Open550. All it does is make the i550 look bad & lowers the value of all builders' work & did very much negatively impact our business, as well. Our beef is with the one person who keeps attempting new "work arounds" to rationalize breaking his written agreement with us.
So, any further comments from us will be made on our own website & in the proper legal venues. I was not implying that you had done anything wrong (or would do so in the future), Joe.
Susan

#1769 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

It would be lovely if the classes would kiss & make up, but we do not see Hell freezing over anytime soon.

"Shit Show" was coined by those who were radically turned off by the last discussion of the Open550. All it does is make the i550 look bad & lowers the value of all builders' work & did very much negatively impact our business, as well. Our beef is with the one person who keeps attempting new "work arounds" to rationalize breaking his written agreement with us.
So, any further comments from us will be made on our own website & in the proper legal venues. I was not implying that you had done anything wrong (or would do so in the future), Joe.
Susan

blah,blah,blah,blah,BLAH!!!

Attached File  Yawwwwn.jpg   1.91K   8 downloadsAttached File  Yawwwwn.jpg   1.91K   8 downloadsAttached File  Yawwwwn.jpg   1.91K   8 downloadsAttached File  Yawwwwn.jpg   1.91K   8 downloadsAttached File  Yawwwwn.jpg   1.91K   8 downloadsAttached File  Yawwwwn.jpg   1.91K   8 downloads

#1770 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

http://www.regattane...tom_report_id=2

Good times!

#1771 TexLex

TexLex

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

Attached File  regatta.png   47.61K   110 downloads

Good times!

Now thats a beautiful scratch sheet!

Congrats!

#1772 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

Couch Surfer,
Glad to see you're finally off the couch. Congrats on your move. Just updated your new address on map. Remember to pack your parka.
Gracie

Attached Files

#1773 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:40 AM

Good times!

Congrats!

Yep, first time that has ever been seen anywhere! Five on the line - wish I could be there, please provide lots of pictures.

Do have to ask, why one at 150 and another at 140 PHRF?

#1774 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:52 AM

Good times!

Congrats!

Yep, first time that has ever been seen anywhere! Five on the line - wish I could be there, please provide lots of pictures.

Do have to ask, why one at 150 and another at 140 PHRF?

None have current PHRF ratings. I think that the "140" is left over from Dave's old boat and when he filled out the online registration it was already there. The "150" is a left over from the one boat that was rated.

Rest assured... we WILL be racing OD... no fear here for "Tom's Trick Turkey" or an "Uberboat"... the NACA rules are plenty tight for close competition!

#1775 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:46 AM

Couch Surfer,
Glad to see you're finally off the couch. Congrats on your move. Just updated your new address on map. Remember to pack your parka.
Gracie

....'move'???,,,huh??? :unsure:

#1776 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

Couch Surfer,
......We are working on a promising solution behind the scenes........

...howsitgoin' ;)
...no news is good news?? :rolleyes:

Hey man, we tried talking to all parties & nobody is ready to formalize according to their constitutions, although one party said he would "Keep us posted on a solution coming soon."
Maybe now that Kofi Annan is giving up on Syria, he would be willing to volunteer for negotiations. No matter, still early days.
Hey, Couch Surfer, I hear that ice boat sailing is very good all year long in your new homeland. Drop us a postcard.
Posted Image

Attached Files

#1777 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

Hey, Couch Surfer, I hear that ice boat sailing is very good all year long in your new homeland. Drop us a postcard.

..'new homeland'...wtf are you on about :blink:

#1778 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

Check out the goggle map. We got an email that you had moved??? Is someone impersonating you??? Hope no one has pulled the wool over eyes, AGAIN! Maybe a wolf in sheep's clothing???Posted Image

https://maps.google....,314.648438&z=2

Attached Files

#1779 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:55 AM

Check out the goggle map. We got an email that you had moved??? Is someone impersonating you??? Hope no one has pulled the wool over eyes, AGAIN! Maybe a wolf in sheep's clothing???

https://maps.google....,314.648438&z=2

..same place as I've always been...you must be workin a bad 'batch' <_<

#1780 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

...so thats the news you've been talking of ????!!?....I (didn't) move??? :blink: :blink: :blink:

#1781 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

...so thats the news you've been talking of ????!!?....I (didn't) move??? :blink: :blink: :blink:

So sorry CS, but since the CEO is in charge of the map, a protest will have to go the board of directors. Unfortunately, they meet only once in a Blue Moon. But you're in Luck!
There's one this month. However, it's their usually scheduled Poker Night. We're trying to get it rescheduled, as the next Blue Moon isn't until 2015. In the meantime, "No News is No News," but we are knitting you a very thick wool sweater.

How's the race prep going? Very exciting.

Hull Update:
171. South Africa
172. Seattle, WA.

Welcome to Dan Haynes from Down Under on his 8-week Speed Build of "Void" to the Green Dot Club. See i550sportboat Facebook Page. It's a BEAUTY!

Our Illustrious Board of Directors Include:
(From Left to Right)
Moe, Larry, Curly & Shep:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Love,
S&T
I know: blah,blah,blah,blah,BLAH!!!

Attached Files

#1782 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

Hull Update:
171. South Africa
172. Seattle, WA
[/quote]
Did the sequence restart??

#1783 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:54 PM

Whoops!
Brain Fart!
471 & 472
S

#1784 averagehack

averagehack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

Any good photos of 5 boats on the line last weekend? Looking at the results it would appear that there was some good racing.

http://www.regattane...N2012SYSCO.html

#1785 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

Any good photos of 5 boats on the line last weekend? Looking at the results it would appear that there was some good racing.

http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/regatta_uploads/5083/ONEDESIGN2012SYSCO.html

Waiting for photos and video. There was a professional video crew out filming for an ad that got some footage.

Racing was very good. RC work was excellent with good variety of courses. Breeze was a nice 8 knots with lulls to 5 and gusts to 12.

The Moran's sailed very well and had consistent finishes and took the prize. With 5 boats this was the largest i550 match up in world history. And with boats for USA and CAN, I guess that makes "Its Whatever" the standing North American Champion for 2012.

Time to start planning for the 2013 North Americans and working on getting 12+ boats together.

#1786 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

With several boats finished in Portland and a few other boats to be found around the area, seeing an i550 out sailing and several racing is becoming a rather frequent occurance.

Attached File  IMG_0612.jpg   970.56K   98 downloads

With two already in the water, these three were setting up and launching for Saturday's race. More photos soon!

#1787 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

With several boats finished in Portland and a few other boats to be found around the area, seeing an i550 out sailing and several racing is becoming a rather frequent occurance.

Attached File  IMG_0612.jpg   970.56K   98 downloads

With two already in the water, these three were setting up and launching for Saturday's race. More photos soon!

Good on you guys, Congratulations to all of you.
S&T

#1788 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:56 PM

Here is the link to a few pictures from the Columbia Crossings Cup & the 2012 i550 NAs

http://www.i550na.or...y=node/add/blog

#1789 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

Here is the link to a few pictures from the Columbia Crossings Cup & the 2012 i550 NAs

Thanks for the great photos, Eric.
Also, Couch Surfer, tonight is the Board Meeting for WS, that meets once in a blue moon. It conflicted with their weekly poker game, but we have convinced them to take up your map positioning change, so we can bring you in from the cold.
T&S
<_<

Attached Files

#1790 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

We want more pictures! Heck, you almost have me excited enough again to finish my boat! (Which actually has been in the lift for two weeks waiting for me to bother putting in the keel).

#1791 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

We want more pictures! Heck, you almost have me excited enough again to finish my boat! (Which actually has been in the lift for two weeks waiting for me to bother putting in the keel).

More photos soon... Promise...

In the meantime, a little more fun for the PDX fleet...
http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_registrant_list.php?regatta_id=4811&custom_report_id=2&SORTBY=FLEET,SUB_CLASS
Just some happy campy good times at Sand Island.

#1792 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

...politics and sales aside,,I've actually been -enjoying- the boat over the past few weeks,,
had a few outings, and also been detailing and tuning the keel-fit and rig tune.
...the boat sails nicely in balance now,,,a puff,the boat heals,,seeks to windward,, then bears-off as it flattens out.,barely any tiller pressure!!

.........I've also been seeing that sailing 2up works fine up to the mid teens at least.,what's been working well is to get my assistant to helm as I jumble with raising/lowering the chute,and dealing with the rotating bow-pole,,,rather than me holding the tiller and 'directing' some poor newby!

.....for gybes,,,crew passes me the spinnsheet and gybes the bow-pole,I give the old spinnsheet a big 'jerk' once he's got the pole ready,which helps steer the boat into the gybe and unweights the chute,,and he immediately sheets on the new side,,,, this sequence really smoothes out the maneuvers!

....methinks saturday was the last day of t-shirt sailing 'round here,tho :huh:

....build,sail on!! :)

#1793 TexLex

TexLex

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

...politics and sales aside,,I've actually been -enjoying- the boat over the past few weeks,,
had a few outings, and also been detailing and tuning the keel-fit and rig tune.
...the boat sails nicely in balance now,,,a puff,the boat heals,,seeks to windward,, then bears-off as it flattens out.,barely any tiller pressure!!

.........I've also been seeing that sailing 2up works fine up to the mid teens at least.,what's been working well is to get my assistant to helm as I jumble with raising/lowering the chute,and dealing with the rotating bow-pole,,,rather than me holding the tiller and 'directing' some poor newby!

.....for gybes,,,crew passes me the spinnsheet and gybes the bow-pole,I give the old spinnsheet a big 'jerk' once he's got the pole ready,which helps steer the boat into the gybe and unweights the chute,,and he immediately sheets on the new side,,,, this sequence really smoothes out the maneuvers!

....methinks saturday was the last day of t-shirt sailing 'round here,tho :huh:

....build,sail on!! :)

Now THIS is the kind of posts we should be seeing on here!! Way to go CS!

#1794 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

...yeh,,after things are all said and done ,,,I gotta say these boats are rather fun!

...although I didn't -fully- build my boat (http://www.i550class...c.php?f=3&t=177),
,,,there's definitely an added element to building whut yer sail!!

...if anyone in vancouver,BC wants to go for a sail,,shoot me a PM!

#1795 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

Good weekend with three i550s doing the RCYC Long Distance race.

Saturday was a pleasant drift connecting puffs until we could see Warrior Rock and the wind and waves filled in with a vengeance. Pounded our way around Sand Island, then spent the night on the boat. Amazingly comfortable.

Sunday (which is typically downwind home) was upwind the whole way until it shut off near the finish. The breeze was about 6 knots and we were easily hanging on to 24-25 footers upwind. Actually surprising.

Disappointing not to have better conditions, but still a fun time.

#1796 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

.............I guess the comfort aboard depends on who yer've got as crew,eh? :mellow:

...yeah,as I'm getting the boat tuned in,am happy to see the relative upwind speeds aren't so humiliating,
,,but when will the wind-gods give us more downwinds?? :rolleyes:

...it's great to see a fleet forming for oct 6/7 in newport oregon,,,sounds like an interesting new venue,,,I'm especially glad to get off that treadmill river called portland; ,,,and thrilled that the NW group is going to the effort to establish regular OD racing!!!

#1797 Phil Ryder

Phil Ryder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:i-550

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

Sail number 381 is on the water
webkit-fake-url://60E22558-DE03-4E23-A9E4-57D0B216F526/image.tiff

#1798 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

Sail number 381 is on the water
webkit-fake-url://60E22558-DE03-4E23-A9E4-57D0B216F526/image.tiff

Congrats Phil! We have been following your progress on DotOrg. What beautiful work you have done.
T&S

#1799 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

...it's great to see a fleet forming for oct 6/7 in newport oregon,,,sounds like an interesting new venue,,,I'm especially glad to get off that treadmill river called portland; ,,,and thrilled that the NW group is going to the effort to establish regular OD racing!!!

Yep... great venue if you don't mind Sea Lions and Seals nipping at your ass when you are hiking! I've always been a little nervous about an open transom in proximity to certain sea life; just remember couchsurfer, they don't let us club seals down here.

The treadmill is turned off right now; we actually get "tides" this time of year and the river sorta goes both ways. Makes for good times, but it only lasts about 3 months.

Trying really hard to make sure that we DO have regular OD racing in fun and interesting venues.

#1800 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:25 AM

Yep... great venue if you don't mind Sea Lions and Seals nipping at your ass when you are hiking! I've always been a little nervous about an open transom in proximity to certain sea life; just remember couchsurfer, they don't let us club seals down here.

The treadmill is turned off right now; we actually get "tides" this time of year and the river sorta goes both ways. Makes for good times, but it only lasts about 3 months.

Trying really hard to make sure that we DO have regular OD racing in fun and interesting venues.

550's are high enough freeboard,,I can't imagine seals can jump that high :rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users