• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 c.f.

c.f.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:57 PM

Here's a brief update from the racing today. Winds were around 20k this morning (gusts into high 20s), and were still building when we headed in around 12:30.

Out of the J109s that competed the top three were Gossip, then Caminos, then TLC.

There were 11 J80s registered. Rumor took first, and it was hard to see if Klingler or Breakaway (local boat) took 2nd.

Only one race was sailed. At the end of the last leg, a local 80 lost its keel and proceeded to capsize and sink (for the most part), at which point RC opted to abandoned racing.

Anyone on the water today get a photo of the boat sinking? I took a couple on my phone, but it may be a while until I figure out how to upload them...

#2 Foos

Foos

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:17 PM

Go Rumor. Seems they're really on lately. Too bad about that keel and I hope everyone is ok, but that shouldn't happen in 20+ kts. Can't wait to see some pics.
Soy, forget to take your meds today?

#3 -Q-

-Q-

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:44 PM

Wow... a J Boat with a keel issue... you don't say... <_<

I hope Grace and BlakeWood made out okay... Who went swimming?

-- Q

#4 BarePoles

BarePoles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Interests:sailing, architecture, running, Texans

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:25 AM

You sure the sinking boat wasn't a J24? :blink:

#5 -Q-

-Q-

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:09 AM

You sure the sinking boat wasn't a J24? :blink:

I'm willing to bet that a J/24 didn't sink at SpritFest.

-- Q

#6 Student_Driver

Student_Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying the inter-glacial while it lasts...

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:13 AM

Wow... a J Boat with a keel issue... you don't say... <_<

I hope Grace and BlakeWood made out okay... Who went swimming?

-- Q

Blake did not race.

#7 c.f.

c.f.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:32 AM

Nope, no J24s. There's a reason they call it "sprit" fest. I believe it was a local boat called Skilligallee (sp?) that sank, hull number 21. They broached repeatedly during the last leg, it looked like maybe they were in over their heads, considering the conditions. And no, 352 did not show, even though his boat is on the trailer and ready to go, about 15mi away...

And for the J80s, Angry was 4th and Crush was 5th. If Klingler had made the skipper's meeting and knew that the finish line had been moved, maybe he would have beat the Storks... the 109s finished first, so it was fun to watch in any case.

And seriously, just because I'm a newb, does that mean I'm a 'tard? WTF??? For the record, my IQ is well above average and I have no cognitive or developmental impairments that impact my daily living. If a reference for the diagnostic criteria for mental retardation would be helpful, please see:

http://www.psychtrea...retardation.htm

#8 MikeR

MikeR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts
  • Interests:Own a Pearson 10M

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for the update, we like to keep track of the Chameleons.

Cheers,

MikeR

Nope, no J24s. There's a reason they call it "sprit" fest. I believe it was a local boat called Skilligallee (sp?) that sank, hull number 21. They broached repeatedly during the last leg, it looked like maybe they were in over their heads, considering the conditions. And no, 352 did not show, even though his boat is on the trailer and ready to go, about 15mi away...

And for the J80s, Angry was 4th and Crush was 5th. If Klingler had made the skipper's meeting and knew that the finish line had been moved, maybe he would have beat the Storks... the 109s finished first, so it was fun to watch in any case.

And seriously, just because I'm a newb, does that mean I'm a 'tard? WTF??? For the record, my IQ is well above average and I have no cognitive or developmental impairments that impact my daily living. If a reference for the diagnostic criteria for mental retardation would be helpful, please see:

#9 teener

teener

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:18 AM

Newbie fucktard, go post at random on other people's threads until your number of posts as a few more digits. Your posts will not become any less inane but you will gain status with certain members of the community. This job is easier if you have a class that you want to pimp, you have already demonstrated a keen ability to bash other more popular classes so essential for good posting.

#10 twister

twister

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for the update c.f. Spritfest is great, too bad Dave & crew couldn't make it.

Don't bother defending yourself around here, it only calls more attention to you.

#11 JPlanet

JPlanet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:35 PM

Buy an ad newbie fucktard

Use your own name, Gouvertard

#12 BarePoles

BarePoles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Interests:sailing, architecture, running, Texans

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:41 PM

Newb, if you have to say you are not impaired, my guess is that on some level you are. And the J24 comment....think sarcasm.

#13 Pooch692000

Pooch692000

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:51 PM

confirmed. 'skilagalee' J80 sunk. second handed story, but heard big broach, keel snapped at hull line, holed her and down she went. one of our local sailors in wednesday nights and local regattas. Sucks, glad noone was hurt. good guys on board.

#14 water ratz

water ratz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • Interests:Sailing...

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:55 PM

If I uploaded correctly, here are a couple of pics that were emailed to me this am. Sad to see this.

Attached Files

#15 Supreme Commander

Supreme Commander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Sex, Drugs, Rock & Roll

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:01 PM

OUCH!! :(

#16 Student_Driver

Student_Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:37 PM

tough to see. very sorry for team Skillage. Assume everyone is ok

#17 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:18 PM

Everyone is OK. The boat is a disaster. Nice people. Terrible situation. That boat first got me interested in J80 sailing. Sad to see her go.

#18 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:26 PM

In the 109s it was:
Gossip
Caminos
Tastes Like Chicken

In the 80s
Rumor
Breakaway
Lifted
Angry Chameleon

#19 Koozie

Koozie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:52 PM

Attached File  Skilli_2.jpeg   15.32K   440 downloads

Skillagalee after being loaded onto a trailer today.

Also, see video at separate post:
http://forums.sailin...showtopic=73464

#20 thefuture

thefuture

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Interests:Sailboat Restoration, racing!

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:04 AM

I want to buy this boat!

#21 Student_Driver

Student_Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:17 AM

How many races were sailed? How many boats in J/80 and J/109 divisions?

Well done Don and Nick. Congratulations.

#22 Daisychain

Daisychain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:24 AM

Wow glad no one was hurt.

Anyone know the age or Hull #?

#23 -Q-

-Q-

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:43 AM

Skilly in better days...

-- Q

Attached Files

#24 Koozie

Koozie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:23 AM

Wow glad no one was hurt.

Anyone know the age or Hull #?

Skillagalee
Hull # 21

#25 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:31 AM

The 80s and the 109s did 5 races. One race Saturday and 4 on Sunday. The Storks had 4 firsts. I believe there were 10 80s racing and 8 109s. Gossip dominated the 109 fleet. Saturday we were racing in 20 to 25 with the wind building during the race. The course was a 4 leg windward leeward and Skillagalee broached after rounding the 2nd weather mark. They were pretty much on one side or the other all the way down the leg. They got across the finish and just stayed over. We sailed over to check them out and saw the keel was torn off the bottom with a hole through the boat. Shortly after that the RC sent everyone in and Brerakwater YC towed the boat on its side to a beach. On Sunday we started in 10 to 12 knots and it built to 17 or 18. We sailed 2 leg windward leewards and got in 4 races. All in all a great weekend.

#26 Harry Manko

Harry Manko

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:48 AM

Here's a brief update from the racing today. Winds were around 20k this morning (gusts into high 20s), and were still building when we headed in around 12:30.

Out of the J109s that competed the top three were Gossip, then Caminos, then TLC.

There were 11 J80s registered. Rumor took first, and it was hard to see if Klingler or Breakaway (local boat) took 2nd.

Only one race was sailed. At the end of the last leg, a local 80 lost its keel and proceeded to capsize and sink (for the most part), at which point RC opted to abandoned racing.

Anyone on the water today get a photo of the boat sinking? I took a couple on my phone, but it may be a while until I figure out how to upload them...

#27 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:09 PM

That is a good looking Sportboat, do they go fast down wind?

#28 RUMLIME

RUMLIME

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:11 PM

full results posted yet?

#29 muppet

muppet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:11 PM

From what I can understand from many members of this forum these boats will plane at 20 knts in 15 knots of breeze.

But only after the keel has been jetisoned. :o

With appologies to those on Skillagalee.

#30 jrpytlak

jrpytlak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:28 PM

From what I can understand from many members of this forum these boats will plane at 20 knts in 15 knots of breeze.

But only after the keel has been jetisoned. :o

With appologies to those on Skillagalee.

Here's one doing high teens in 20-25 breeze.

http://youtube.com/r...mp;search_type=

#31 Jgo

Jgo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:37 PM

Well I was there, sorry no pictures, but the boat never sank, was towed to the beach where she spent the night and then pulled yesterday.

Not sure if they are posting results but Gossip cleaned house with 5 bullets.

#32 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:07 PM

And for the J80s, Angry was 4th and Crush was 5th. [b]If Klingler had made the skipper's meeting and knew that the finish line had been moved, maybe he would have beat the Storks..[/b]. the 109s finished first, so it was fun to watch in any case.

Nobody was beating the Storks. They got 4 bullets in 5 races. Kerry got 1 bullet, a couple of thirds and a couple of 5ths. The Storks were fast and consistent.

#33 -Q-

-Q-

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:12 PM

Apparently she broached several times in succession, was lying on her side for a while intact with the crew aboard, they went to aid the driver who was low and in the lifelines, and then a crack was heard. The entire rectangular keel pan dropped out, water started flooding in, and she rolled over on the other side. Three crewmembers jumped in the cold water to swim away from the hull (but eventually swam back), one crewmember stayed aboard the swamped hull. A little over two minutes later a crash boat showed up, picked up the crew who had been in the water, and then the guy who stayed with the boat stepped, perfectly dry, onto the crash boat. (nice touch PN) Racing was ended. A while later a tow boat came out from Sag Harbor, threw a line around one of the winches, and the hull was towed to the beach next to the Sag breakwater, where a tow truck was waiting to haul her onto the sand. The rig was recovered and is fine. The sprit ripped out during the tow.

-- Q

#34 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • Interests:sailing, sex and success...not necessarily in order

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:34 PM

If I uploaded correctly, here are a couple of pics that were emailed to me this am. Sad to see this.

Damn, those photos look like something from the end of Shawshank Redemption. Would look much better surround by palms trees.

Hope TPI/Jboats issues a statement, if not for anything else, damage control. It would be great to hear from the surveyor whose going to do the insurance job about his take on this. With 1000 boats out there, the info should help others. I know if I owned a J80, I would want to know.

Core looks in good shape from the various pics.

Any constructive comments from anyone regarding previous grounding or dropping hull #21?

#35 c.f.

c.f.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:44 PM

Nobody was beating the Storks. They got 4 bullets in 5 races. Kerry got 1 bullet, a couple of thirds and a couple of 5ths. The Storks were fast and consistent.

A (fairly) reliable source told me that Kerry and Uzi were among the last ones standing on Saturday night...might've slowed 'em down a bit in the racing on Sunday. To their credit however, they were the first 80 out there, bright and early. But yeah, as they did in KW, the Storks simply dominated. It was pretty fun to watch the J80 finishes.

#36 c.f.

c.f.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:48 PM

Nick wasn't with us this weekend - he had the flu or something. Our replacement was pretty darn good though, so it worked out well for us. Where were you? Why no 352? Would've been fun to have more boats out there...

#37 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:51 PM

A (fairly) reliable source told me that Kerry and Uzi were among the last ones standing on Saturday night...might've slowed 'em down a bit in the racing on Sunday. To their credit however, they were the first 80 out there, bright and early. But yeah, as they did in KW, the Storks simply dominated. It was pretty fun to watch the J80 finishes.

It was funn racing. All of the boats were well sailed and the finishes were all close. Great weekend !

#38 Mylar

Mylar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:00 PM

Hull #21 not lookin too good - boat looks in poor condition.
If the interior and topsides look the way do - I can bet no attention was paid to the keelbolts.

#39 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,669 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:04 PM

If the interior and topsides look the way do - I can bet no attention was paid to the keelbolts.

Ever see nice boat after its been full of water for an hour or more? They tend to all look the same.

#40 RockHead

RockHead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:11 PM

Yeah, but that shoal draft version can't go to weather for shit....

(sorry to the owners and crew, couldn't resist! :rolleyes: )

#41 Stiffler's Mom

Stiffler's Mom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Interests:Fuck you you nosy bastard...

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:26 PM

Ouch.. maybe build a CBTF out of it??

#42 fyschebone

fyschebone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:36 PM

Here's one doing high teens in 20-25 breeze.

http://youtube.com/r...mp;search_type=

Sailing a J80 is like sailing a Melges 24 with everything slowed down about 30%.

#43 jrpytlak

jrpytlak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:42 PM

Sailing a J80 is like sailing a Melges 24 with everything slowed down about 30%.

Too true. Sometimes I think about how it's too much work to make some boats go fast. 80's really do feel sticky to me. No matter how fast you go, it seems like it is just about to break loose but never does.

#44 -Q-

-Q-

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:42 PM

The owner does take care of his boats. That said, having a 3' by 2' hole opened up in your boat, followed by having her sit in the water foundering for a few hours, then being towed mostly submerged for 6 miles, then being hauled up onto the beach by a truck, probably wouldn't do wonders for the looks of any boat, especially one that's been raced for 15 years.

-- Q

Attached Files

#45 RUMLIME

RUMLIME

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:51 PM

The owner does take care of his boats. That said, having a 3' by 2' hole opened up in your boat, followed by having her sit in the water foundering for a few hours, then being towed mostly submerged for 6 miles, then being hauled up onto the beach by a truck, probably wouldn't do wonders for the looks of any boat, especially one that's been raced for 15 years.

-- Q

well said, awful photos, very sad.

#46 c.f.

c.f.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:38 AM

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. As you probably do not know the boat is mostly salvage because of the severity of the damage. if you had a capsized boat that had a large hole where the keel was what would you recommend doing? My father is the owner of skilli and for you to say this blindly is not only non-sensical it is also insulting. If you owned a decent boat you would know about the attachment a family has to its boat. When other people heard of this disaster it felt as if we lost some one in the family, not just a material possession. This boat originally belonged to my grandfather, and there is no way that i can accept this drastic measure as my father's inability to "take care of his boats". -Q- you are a detriment to the philanthropy in the sailing community. I'm ashamed to have you in this community.

Hey Es, so sorry to hear that Skilli is a total loss, and I'm sure it feels like a family member has died. That said, maybe you should go back and re-read Q's post, because he didn't actually insult your father's maintenance of the boat...

#47 podrick

podrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:47 AM

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. As you probably do not know the boat is mostly salvage because of the severity of the damage. if you had a capsized boat that had a large hole where the keel was what would you recommend doing? My father is the owner of skilli and for you to say this blindly is not only non-sensical it is also insulting. If you owned a decent boat you would know about the attachment a family has to its boat. When other people heard of this disaster it felt as if we lost some one in the family, not just a material possession. This boat originally belonged to my grandfather, and there is no way that i can accept this drastic measure as my father's inability to "take care of his boats". -Q- you are a detriment to the philanthropy in the sailing community. I'm ashamed to have you in this community.

I believe that -Q- was defending the owner from comments made in a previous post. That said, sad to hear of the loss of your boat.

#48 Koozie

Koozie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:52 AM

Are you judging the "poor" condition of the boat based on the pictures posted here or have you seen this boat in "poor" condition before? The boat was towed on its side for about 7 miles in 20-30 knots with it's spinnaker and mainsail still up. (I assume that it was too dangerous to attempt to cut any sails free in those heavy seas.) Then when it reached the beach in Sag Harbor, it was attached to a truck by a long rope and dragged on it's side to shallow water so the rig could be removed. Then they righted it and dragged it up even further like it was a Sunfish. How would your boat look after all that? Skillagalee was a beauty and well taken care of by her owners.

#49 EsWake741

EsWake741

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:22 AM

Eric,

Due to the fact that you deleted your own post, I believe that you must have finally re-read my post, in context, and realized that 'what you said blindly was not only non-sensical, it was also insulting.'

Due to the fact that I haven't received a PM from you yet, I believe that your foot must be still stuck in your mouth. Not to worry, no harm, no foul, it's all good and I've been called worse. When you're old enough, you can buy me a drink at Legends and we'll have a laugh over it.
Notwithstanding that, it's a tough time when something like this happens, and we're sorry for the loss of Skilly. I hope she's replaced.

As noted above, I was, in fact, standing up for your dad, in the face of comments that the boat did not look well cared for. I did know that the boat was well maintained, and was originally your grandfather's (who I met before you were born).

Be well,

-- Q
(a detriment to the philanthropy in the sailing community) :ph34r:

Hey, sorry for the mix up. I read the wrong post and replied on the wrong feed to you post instead. My apologies, thank you for your support.

#50 -Q-

-Q-

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:29 AM

No problem, I figured as much, so don't worry about it. I hope Team Skilly is back in the game quickly.

Cheers,

-- Q

#51 water ratz

water ratz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • Interests:Sailing...

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:02 AM

can anyone from the north shore confirm who took the pics that I posted? The pics were emailed to me but I have never heard of the woman who is getting credit from the front page. I just want to make sure credit is given correctly. Thks:)

#52 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:08 AM

can anyone from the north shore confirm who took the pics that I posted? The pics were emailed to me but I have never heard of the woman who is getting credit from the front page. I just want to make sure credit is given correctly. Thks:)

I'm not sure which photos were Mindy's but she did take a bunch of photos. She was at the beach after they dragged the boat there. She sails on another J80 and is a friend of the owners of Skilly.

#53 willsailforfood

willsailforfood

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Location:The Pacific Northwest, Caribbean or Med depending on the season
  • Interests:Friends Don't Let Friends Sail PHRF

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:02 PM

I'm just wondering how the rust formed so quick under the backing plates. The long rust streaks are worrying. Did those really form in just a few hours? If so I'm thinking the quality of the SS is pretty shoddy. Our J24 is a VERY early boat and we don't have any rust stains like that and we've had it swimming with salt water on the inside for hours and hours during big air regattas.

#54 Sailabout

Sailabout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Interests:Engines

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:37 AM

Attached File  Skilli_2.jpeg   15.32K   440 downloads

Skillagalee after being loaded onto a trailer today.

Also, see video at separate post:

Just guessing from the photo BUT looks a bit like Friday was gelcoat day and a layer or 2 and Monday was the core day with its layers....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users