#101 Swabian Sailor

Swabian Sailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:19 PM

Live from the sea 06/06/2008

06/06/2008 - 16:18

The results for race 12 in the Gold fleet have been posted.

http://www.melges24w...ts08/m_24_g.htm

#102 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,636 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:20 PM

The last time they'll cross the line!

#103 13over

13over

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:21 PM

06/06/2008 - 16:18

The results for race 12 in the Gold fleet have been posted.
http://www.melges24w...ts08/m_24_g.htm

UKA UKA
Pilot Italia
Alina Helly Hansen

Congratulations to all teams who had fun

#104 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,636 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:22 PM

And - YOUR NEW MELGES 24 WORLD CHAMPION!

LORENZO BRESSANI
FRANCESCO BRUNI
FEDERICO MICHETTI
FRANCESA PRINA
AND OWNER LORENZO SANTINI

CONGRATULATIONS FROM SAILING ANARCHY!!!

#105 Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:23 PM

Congratz to Monsoon - USA 637. 22nd overall and 2nd place Corinthian.

MS

#106 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,636 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:26 PM

Alright folks - we are off to do some interviewing and other schlocky work, so be sure to check back later for all that, including the third part of our interview with Giovanni Maspero, and much more.

Thanks so much for watching - this has been so much fun I can't even tell you. Enjoy.

And go click on Ullman Sails a few hundred times for us...Cheers!

#107 automatic writer

automatic writer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:27 PM

can you try to discover why Blu Moon DNF race 11, before next press release?

#108 speed junkie

speed junkie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:42 PM

Mr. Clean and team. Thanks for doing an outstanding job on the 2008 Melges worlds in Italy!! You made this week bearable, not being able to be there. Love the vids and the commentary. Again, GREAT JOB!!!

#109 bshores

bshores

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:45 PM

Alright folks - we are off to do some interviewing and other schlocky work, so be sure to check back later for all that, including the third part of our interview with Giovanni Maspero, and much more.

Thanks so much for watching - this has been so much fun I can't even tell you. Enjoy.

And go click on Ullman Sails a few hundred times for us...Cheers!

Clean, thank you so much to you and Mer for the AMAZING coverage this week. BTW, does anyone care to comment on a disappointing result for Full Throttle. After almost winning last year, I'm sure they expected to do much better. Maybe the Italians are just that much better!

#110 speed junkie

speed junkie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:02 PM

Clean, thank you so much to you and Mer for the AMAZING coverage this week. BTW, does anyone care to comment on a disappointing result for Full Throttle. After almost winning last year, I'm sure they expected to do much better. Maybe the Italians are just that much better!

Broken bow sprit, penalty turns, etc... We should be saying what a great job they did in recovering. An obvious disappointment, no doubt, but that is sailboat racing. I would, however, like to hear more on the comment earlier about the possible different sails the italians have vs. the way the sails are in the US. Is this, or can this, be substaniated?? Nevertheless, the Italians have raised the bar in this class. We all have seen it coming. As strong as they have been the past couple of years, it was just a matter of time. As for Full Throttle, every year, they are in the hunt, can't say that about any other US team. GO FT. See ya in Pewaukee.

#111 manu bla bla

manu bla bla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:16 PM

congratulations to Lorenzo!!!
and very good job Mr.Clean, thanx

#112 bshores

bshores

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:19 PM

Broken bow sprit, penalty turns, etc... We should be saying what a great job they did in recovering. An obvious disappointment, no doubt, but that is sailboat racing. I would, however, like to hear more on the comment earlier about the possible different sails the italians have vs. the way the sails are in the US. Is this, or can this, be substaniated?? Nevertheless, the Italians have raised the bar in this class. We all have seen it coming. As strong as they have been the past couple of years, it was just a matter of time. As for Full Throttle, every year, they are in the hunt, can't say that about any other US team. GO FT. See ya in Pewaukee.

Agreed, FT is one of the best if not the best team in the US and deserve much credit. However it seems the Italians are on a different wavelength. I'm guessing we'll see more of them in Annapolis next year vs. in Santa Cruz. Since the majority of the sails were North as this event I'd be interested in what the differences are, if any between US Norths and ITA Norths.

#113 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,270 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:23 PM

Clean thanks (once I found out where to find the threads - doh)

Yes the European fleet is very strong, you don't have to get it that wrong in a big competitve fleet like this to slide down - anyway they are 8th, all Italians above except Blue Moon .. that's still a great result

#114 Onrust1368

Onrust1368

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for the great coverage, Clean and Mer!
(and of course the drivers, and sponsors!)
It has been great fun!

Sometime when you're feeling analytical, would you care to speculate what separated the top teams from the rest?

Another question - how many rigs were lost? - given the conditions, did that amount of gear breakage seem excessive?
Just wondering...

Thanks again...

#115 US32Wet

US32Wet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:41 PM

Agreed, FT is one of the best if not the best team in the US and deserve much credit. However it seems the Italians are on a different wavelength. I'm guessing we'll see more of them in Annapolis next year vs. in Santa Cruz. Since the majority of the sails were North as this event I'd be interested in what the differences are, if any between US Norths and ITA Norths.

Not sure about the sails, I did have some Norths from the UK that were definitely a little flatter. I think one of the biggest advantages is things like the Volvo Cup where the teams get together regularly and race against each other. In the US there is always so much distance involved for all the top teams to meet and race, that has got to be a disadvantage.

Clean and Mer as always you two have done a great job giving us a flavor of the Worlds out there, amazing coverage and hope the rest of the European road trip is a ton of fun for you.

Cheers

#116 automatic writer

automatic writer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:05 PM

all Italians above except Blue Moon ..

actually, at least 3 out of five, on Blu Moon, are are Italians (helmsman Flavio Favini, Tiziano Nava and Stefano Rizzi).

#117 El Buki

El Buki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:08 PM

Great coverage! Thanks to Clean, SA, JF and Ullman.

#118 belin zeneize

belin zeneize

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:18 PM

Clean thanks (once I found out where to find the threads - doh)

Yes the European fleet is very strong, you don't have to get it that wrong in a big competitve fleet like this to slide down - anyway they are 8th, all Italians above except Blue Moon .. that's still a great result

BLUE MOON IS ITALIAN AS MUCH AS ALL THE OTHERS ONLY HAVE 'SUI' ON THE SAIL

WELL DONE MR CLEAN AMAZING JOB

#119 Big Show

Big Show

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:40 PM

Wow. Amazing job with the coverage.

Gold standard.

#120 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,636 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:01 PM

Guys - thanks for the comments. Seriously, it means a lot to us. We have had the time of our lives, but we've also worked from 7 in the morning until 3 in the morning most days, so we're understandably a bit frazzled. I'm sure your questions will get answered sooner or later, especially as most of the racers here will be reading each and every one of these threads when they get home to their comfy internet connections.

I've got a good interview with Lorenzo Bressani, and with Federico Michetti, off the winning boat, as well as a long interview with both Knut Forstad, CEO of the Volvo Race, and the Italian marketing guy for Volvo. I'm also going to do a few down at the party with Porter, and maybe Andy about their uncharacteristically bad performance and when the hell we're gonna see some pics of the finished 20, and maybe go for a sail.

I'll get them done and up as soon as I can - a few in just a half hour or so. The rest will have to wait until I've slept off my hangover.

#121 Roy_Race

Roy_Race

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for doing this. Awesome. The coverage has been great to watch. Just a quick question: the boats seem to have mammoth amounts of twist in the mains downwind. I've never seen anything like this much before. What's the reason for this?

#122 HSG

HSG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:57 PM

Nice Job Clean and Mer! Thanks for the excellent coverage and entertainment. You are right- this is establishing the foundation for covering sailing events in the future. Thanks to Ullman for making it possible.

#123 John Gault

John Gault

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:59 PM

Fantastic. Great job Clean, Mer and the rest of the gang!!! Thanks. Besides the video, commentary and pictures, really liked that OTW interview with Hutch!

#124 M24Sailor

M24Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:29 PM

BTW annapolis boys: The folks I spoke to are very happy to hear that you have the party situation under control for Worlds next year. I hope NAs is a bit of a trial horse.

That's the plan...for both on and off the water.

#125 steven ned88

steven ned88

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

Well Meredith and MR Clean: what you produced has proven to be very addictive. I think you are setting new standards of online race coverage. It was terrible fun to follow. Only my stupid boss prevented me from watching the videos straight away and I had to wait till I was home to do so. Maybe better because I still got the job now..

Really exciting stuff and I expect with new technologies this way of covering races will get even more close and life. This is the future.

And the event: stop taling about the parties: the sailing was awesome. I wished I was there doing 20 knots around the cans.

A huge thanks again and tell me when you will be passing Holland. You are welcome.

#126 Mr. Cunningham

Mr. Cunningham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:08 PM

Clean! Many, many thanx for the best report i've ever seen in real-time: well done. Hope, all wet asses are ok and damages happend to equipment only. Was all the time breathless, crossing my fingers for the germans and especially for the italian sailmaker guy - Pablo made the fastest sails for me. Respect for his 23th.
Your Vids are real-time documents without euphemizing. Thats great.
The M24 class shows how it works: performance, publicity, fun and a lot of work money ;) .
SA shows a tremendous coverage and got a lot of interests. Thanx to Ullman and Joe Fly for supporting this.

Enjoy the party and the travel thru Europe, give us more interviews and reports!
Servus,
Christian

#127 BeerDidClam

BeerDidClam

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,699 posts
  • Interests:algebra. pyrotechnics. greyhound racing.

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:48 AM

Yeah, superior job Clean et al.. Really great job all around.

#128 LalaBird

LalaBird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:32 AM

Clean, that Brian Hutchinson video interview was awesome and was so useful. It looks like I have some M24 work to do over the next few weeks. Damn you are over there watching the class that is the shit, and I am sitting here waiting 6 weeks so that my fucking arms heal after breaking them getting off the boat. Anyway keep up the good work this was defiantly worth it, I have yet to see any footage of M24 racing nearly as useful.

Now to study for those Fucking SATs

#129 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,636 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:48 AM

Holy crap my head hurts. That was a hell of a night.

Here's part 3 of our interview with Giovanni Maspero.

#130 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,636 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:50 AM

Lorenzo Bressani, on the dock after his win.

Federico Michetti, World Champion forward hand:

#131 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,636 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:52 AM

Knut Forstad, CEO of the Volvo Ocean Race, talks about the new race, the new website, and Sailing Anarchy.

#132 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,636 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:54 AM

Roberto Lonardi, PR dude from Volvo Italy. Don't knock the vid till you've watched the whole thing - that new Volvo is very damned cool.

#133 MC2052

MC2052

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:54 PM

wow great great coverage thank you

#134 proofeditwrite

proofeditwrite

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:22 AM

Chapeau Clean, chapeau Mer.

#135 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:47 AM

Thanks, Clean, et. al., Ed, and Ullman.

What happened to that last vid?

Man, did anyone else have trouble with the video quality on the Knut video?

(nice job embedding the vids too!)

#136 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,636 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:15 AM

Thanks nroose. When I have a little time and a good connection, I'll put all the videos in one thread and make sure they all work. In the meantime, you might get better results going to our youtube page and watching them there. www.youtube.com/blocksail I think, or just type "Blocksail" into the youtube search window.

BTW, I'm back on the Vacation thread. I'll be updating stuff there. We somehow stumbled upon the 470 Europeans in Garda on the way north, and the girls I shot there made Porto Cervo look like a livestock auction. Go the 470 chicks. Stay tuned for that action tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers

AL

#137 Roy_Race

Roy_Race

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:19 PM

470 chicks are the best. I remember the first Euro 470 event I did, first practice day it was blowing 20+ and there was this petite little dutch girl out on the water who looked like she needed a sandwich before she wasted away. We (2 strapping blokes) lined up alongside to test our speed and she handed us our arses big time. Like going 20% faster than us upwind. Unbelievable it was.

Also, if you sail 470s for long enough, you will at some point get to see some tits in the dinghy park when the chicks get changed by their boats.

#138 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,636 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:02 AM

Roberto Lonardi, PR Manager for Volvo Italy, talks about a sweet new tow vehicle from Volvo, the VOR, and sailing sponsorship. Nice guy.

#139 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,636 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

And here's that interview with Knut Forstad that was crappy the last time I loaded it.

#140 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,636 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:04 PM

And here's the final part of our interview with Giovanni Maspero, owner of Joe Fly.

#141 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,636 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:31 PM

Laura Muma shot some good footage from Worlds, and here's a montage of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users