• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 javi

javi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:25 PM

My Tacktick Micro Compass shows CAL on the left screen when in compass mode. I have checked compass readings when turning the unit through 90, 180 and 270 and the readings do not show this variation rate (error +-12). Of course I have checked that no metallic object is around and have done the checking on different grounds (middle of the garden with wooden squares as "pointing tools")

Anybody knows how to solve it not buying a new one? I've asked Tacktick and wait for their response, but not confident it will be positive.

thanks

#2 Woolfy

Woolfy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:44 PM

Try just pressing and holding down the mode key for a few seconds, you want "cal" to disappear, if I remember rightly that will do then job.

#3 javi

javi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:45 PM

Thanks woolfy, I tried that any many more combinations with no succes. Finally with directions received from tacktick got the device to normal operation.
The incorrect heading error persists, and according to tacktick it is necessary to return the compass to dealer for repair

#4 Woolfy

Woolfy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:16 PM

"Take it in for repair" means replacement. They are a factory sealed unit, so if they fail you'll be supplied with the "guts', your existing fascia is fitted to these in house. When you go to your dealer make sure you take along the original purchase documents, if you're in warranty it'll be replaced FOC if not depending on the age of the unit you'll be offered a discounted price on the new parts. If you haven't got proof of purchase then the discount will be based on date of manyfacture which is worked out off the serial number, which can be a long time before your purchase date!

#5 bottlerocket

bottlerocket

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I've recently opened up my TackTick Micro to replace the battery. That seemed to work and now I've got the CAL on the left LCD.

I visited this website: http://www.vanaheim.co.nz/compass.htm

It says to calibrate you do the following steps:
Buttons calibration:
1. Turn OFF your Micro compass (cover solar cell and hold MODE until compass turns off).
2. Turn ON your Micro compass. Display show bAt – 200 (could also be 180).
3. When you see bAt – 200, press and hold MODE and SET until you have 013 – 16P on display.
4. Press quickly (but not hold) MODE and SET until you have tst – A1
5. When you see tst –A1, Press and hold MODE and SET until you have tst – P on your displays
6. Turn off your Micro Compass

When I do this I get 013 - 16F in step 3 and then "tst - 72F" in step 5. I've repeated the steps about a dozen times and still have the CAL showing

Anyone have any insight besides "you're fucked" or "get out the credit card"?

I plan to call RayMarine's help desk but looking for something simple.

#6 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

best of luck...my MIcro has been screwed up since day 1...problem is, it sat on the shelf for a year or so and I didn't even use it until after the warranty was up. Come to think of it, it was my 2nd one on the same dime....Worst Marine replaced the first one free-o-charge.

Keep us posted please.

#7 bottlerocket

bottlerocket

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

TimFord, Thanks for the response. You can't leave these buggers on the shelf. The lithium battery does not like to be be totally discharged. That being said, it should be easy to replace the battery. It is a common problem with Apple products too. Except in the Apple situation you just need to replace the battery. Re-calibration is not an issue....

Buying a Speedpuck is an option for me, but I don't really want to. I'd love to bring this old Micro back to life.

#8 bottlerocket

bottlerocket

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Raymarine (quite responsive) confirmed that this is the process for re-calibrating the buttons after replacing the batteries:

Buttons calibration:
1. Turn OFF your Micro compass (cover solar cell and hold MODE until compass turns off).
2. Turn ON your Micro compass. Display show bAt – 200 (could also be 180).
3. When you see bAt – 200, press and hold MODE and SET until you have 013 – 16P on display.
4. Press quickly (but not hold) MODE and SET until you have tst – A1
5. When you see tst –A1, Press and hold MODE and SET until you have tst – P on your displays
6. Turn off your Micro Compass

In my case, I was receiving an error code in step 3 and 5 (an F for Fail instead of a P for Pass). My work around was to perform the calibration without the rubber top piece in place. This worked. However it means that I cannot use the rubber insert at all. The rubber insert has the Mode and Set buttons that appear to be small magnets that possibly engage the touch sensitive switch inside the unit in normal operation. The touch sensitive switches work fine by just touching them. Not having the rubber insert in place might increases the chance of water entry, but lacking other options besides replacing the unit, I'll take my chances.

The best advice for TackTick owners is to pay attention to the battery charge and get the unit into direct sunlight when the charge is low. Don't let it run out of charge.

#9 beamreach

beamreach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:sailing, surfing

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

after replacing the battery in my 10 year old ticktack I also had this problem:  left screen showed calibration and right screen showed compass course.  It took 4 weeks of screwing around with it as per the above instructions, but finally it  shows compass course both screens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users