37 replies to this topic

#1 Roller Skates

Roller Skates

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:48 PM

Last time i paid for virtual skipper, i ended up buying four and then losing the multiplayer crowd as five showed up a month later. any idea when version six will come out? i'm finally considering paying for five, and want to know if i should just be waiting for six.

#2 Zipped

Zipped

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:51 PM

Last time i paid for virtual skipper, i ended up buying four and then losing the multiplayer crowd as five showed up a month later. any idea when version six will come out? i'm finally considering paying for five, and want to know if i should just be waiting for six.

With no word on 6 coming out(that I'm aware of) spend the $20 and get it for the meantime.

#3 arr4ws

arr4ws

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:52 PM

vsk5 was a good game ... i dont know about the online community right now cause i dont play it anymore

#4 Ken S

Ken S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:39 PM

Bump :)

The Virtual skipper game went from vsk4 to 32nd americas cup game, not vsk5 as such, but in the last week a new FREE update is available that now takes it to VSK5, with better ACC dynamics and wave realism , if you already have 32nd americas cup game then you can download this update free, there will be no VSK6 , not for at least 12 months or more, Nadeo(the game manufacturer)are trailing a new way of marketing the game, Its the only sailing game worth playing, great ISA rules engines and realism etc.
You can download the game and the update here:vsk-aus
And have a checkout of the site, we have done some new custom boats , stealth 8 is there and some skiffs, along with TP 52's , Orma's , Foiling moths, 49 ers etc, and various yacht and trimaran/catamaran(VX40,Groupama) So check it out, if you like sailing this game is mega addictive.

#5 Roller Skates

Roller Skates

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:25 AM

Bump :)

The Virtual skipper game went from vsk4 to 32nd americas cup game, not vsk5 as such, but in the last week a new FREE update is available that now takes it to VSK5, with better ACC dynamics and wave realism , if you already have 32nd americas cup game then you can download this update free, there will be no VSK6 , not for at least 12 months or more, Nadeo(the game manufacturer)are trailing a new way of marketing the game, Its the only sailing game worth playing, great ISA rules engines and realism etc.
You can download the game and the update here:vsk-aus
And have a checkout of the site, we have done some new custom boats , stealth 8 is there and some skiffs, along with TP 52's , Orma's , Foiling moths, 49 ers etc, and various yacht and trimaran/catamaran(VX40,Groupama) So check it out, if you like sailing this game is mega addictive.

for some reason none of my v070 races will let me use the vo70 somehow i don't have the right version? but they all came in the same .exe pack from vsk austrailia?

also, for some reason in custom races i can no longer change details like weather/boats/etc beforehand now that i have installed the patch. thoughts?

#6 Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:28 AM

Yeah I too forked out for version 4 from clicking on the link to the AC one and instantly became pissed off when i realised i had the earlier version. Then it didnt work with Windows Vista without downloading something else.

Personally I think the graphics are poor and I dont know how to improve the competition standard as I believe it is very poor (leward boat tacking into windward boat.

#7 Penno

Penno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:41 AM

Its not so bad, but it does depend, as in real life on the players - there are some (few) serious tossers but in general mostly nice non penalty hunting, no penalty cancel, fair sailing players. In the melges rubbing is racing, but this is the ethos of this class.

#8 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:41 AM

Its not like you "have" to pay for it. There are other ways...

#9 J T

J T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:58 PM

There is a new "patch" that was introduced by Nadeo just last week. This patch takes the game from America's Cup 32 into VSK5. If you paid for the AC32 the patch is free and your log on key will be good for one year from your date of your first log on with the patch.

The new game is better in many ways than AC32 was. The group sailing with any regularity is fun and most know the rules. It's a pretty good value at 45 bucks for a year. There are many clubs you can also join and have better racing almost every day of the week.

Go for it.

#10 Experimental

Experimental

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:09 PM

By all indications VSK5 is it for awhile. NADEO is switching to a new development model of gradual patches to 5 that are free as long as you pay a yearly subscription fee, which is about what everyone pays already since there's an update about once every year.

It's fun, I play it occasionally but I recently discovered a highly immersive MMORPG called "real life" that takes up most of my time ;)

#11 axel

axel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:46 AM

Bump !

Nadeo just launched the full free version of Virtual Skipper 5!
This version allows you to discover all the features of the game and play as much as you want.

You can download it for free right here

#12 sailingkid

sailingkid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
  • Interests:Moths, A-Cats, speed, efficiency

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:50 AM

I got it for christmas, then my brother got to it and set up all the accounts under his name before i could, and then our old computer wouldn't run it, then i played it once and found that sailx was heaps better, just becuase of the graphics and stuff on vsk5 being so good that it was ultra laggy and the glare off the waves made it hard.

#13 Sailing_Rugger

Sailing_Rugger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

I got it for christmas, then my brother got to it and set up all the accounts under his name before i could, and then our old computer wouldn't run it, then i played it once and found that sailx was heaps better, just becuase of the graphics and stuff on vsk5 being so good that it was ultra laggy and the glare off the waves made it hard.

SailX FTW!

#14 oldskool

oldskool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:22 AM

SO I downloaded the free version today and the seas have all gone white. Has anyone had this happen? Bummer is that it was fine and then I added a few new skins and now it is fuct. Any ideas or help? Thanks.

#15 Snow Guy

Snow Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:42 AM

SO I downloaded the free version today and the seas have all gone white. Has anyone had this happen? Bummer is that it was fine and then I added a few new skins and now it is fuct. Any ideas or help? Thanks.

Sorry, no help, but I came across the same type of issue with the AC32 demo version. I pressed something (esc maybe) in the intro to the race screen and it changed the graphics permanently.

#16 Dramling

Dramling

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:10 AM

Most of my water is white also. When it's rainy/dark it's alright but in the sun is washed out. IDK why that happened though :/

#17 Zipped

Zipped

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:14 AM

There was a recent patch, this is probably causing the issues. If not, lower the graphics settings or get a new computer

#18 AKushTic

AKushTic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:42 AM

So now they are giving away the whole game, not a demo version, for free? At the same time it seems you can buy it off their site... I think I am missing something or what?

Buy it here:

http://www.virtualsk...e...s_info&id=8

Download it free here:

http://www.virtualsk...-game.com/vsk5/

wtf? :unsure:

#19 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:53 AM

is it better than Tacticat/SailX?

http://www.sailx.com/

#20 axel

axel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:54 PM

So now they are giving away the whole game, not a demo version, for free? At the same time it seems you can buy it off their site... I think I am missing something or what?

Buy it here:

Download it free here:

The Free version comes with a waiting screen when you launch the game. The more you play, the longer the screen will be, but at the end the game stays free.
To remove that screen you can unlock the game so no more waiting time.

#21 question_sailing

question_sailing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:57 PM

Hi, i'm new to vsk5.

I use the new "waiting" game. How can i have all the new boats? RC44, Platu, and others...

cheers from cadiz bay

#22 oldskool

oldskool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:38 PM

Buy it here:

Download it free here:

The Free version comes with a waiting screen when you launch the game. The more you play, the longer the screen will be, but at the end the game stays free.
To remove that screen you can unlock the game so no more waiting time.

I don't think they are giving away the whole game. There are still some things blocked (like the editor, which would allow for additions of new classes of yachts). Is the patch out there somewhere for the water whiteneing (I think I also pushed esc and it never came back)? I really want to give this game a go before I buy it. Thanks for the help.

#23 SonOfASailor

SonOfASailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:43 PM

Who else plays this from SA?

If there are enough people, we should start a little SA VSK5 club.

#24 oldskool

oldskool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:45 PM

We had one way back when with our own boats (I made them, they were tight!!, for a hacker designer). It was pretty cool.

Where do I find the patches?????I want to play this game!!

#25 BeerPlease

BeerPlease

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:24 PM

I made a j105 for VSK 32nd americas cup, i dont know if it works for VSK 5. and i dont think that there is any talk of VSK 6, yet. the game isnt really making the developer any money so they are think about dropping it :( but for now most people are playign VSK32nd americas cup. enjoy the J105.

http://freeworldyach...;sa=view;id=112

#26 Experimental

Experimental

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:26 PM

Since 32nd AC + patch = VSK5, your J/105 works fine in the free version - nice work!

#27 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,280 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:33 PM

ill probably get it when 6 comes out, even if i have to wait. if it doesnt happen, oh well. Theres a lot i wish was different, mostly in specifics of boat handling and sail trim etc.

#28 SonOfASailor

SonOfASailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:44 PM

I don't think it is installing right on my computer. I have Vista, and none of the folders that it talks about even exist. it tried to just install the boat in My Documents, not the game folder.

#29 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:48 PM

i just started..name's X-X-X .kinda cool but kinda boring if not online fleet racing, the solo match racing is pathetic, the bots sail like crap and do dumb things.

any way to sail a fleet race in solo mode?
also where does one get cool boats like a VO70, RC44 and the like?

i've looked online but found nada....

#30 oldskool

oldskool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:23 PM

i just started..name's X-X-X .kinda cool but kinda boring if not online fleet racing, the solo match racing is pathetic, the bots sail like crap and do dumb things.

any way to sail a fleet race in solo mode?
also where does one get cool boats like a VO70, RC44 and the like?

i've looked online but found nada....

Yeah, I had the same question. The fleet racing in solo mode would be cool. Also, what is the good upwind sailing angle for the offshore boat? I can't seem to make it go.

Can we add new boats in the free version? I like the idea of the moths and RC44's as well as the Volvo's

#31 Experimental

Experimental

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:52 PM

Navy: if you're using the free version, replace any reference of "32ndAmericasCup" with "VSK5Online" and it should work. And yes, there are about 2 dozen addon boats out there, including the RC44, VO70, foiler Moth, Open 5.70, Swan 45, AC90 (concept) etc.... and they all work on the free game. Again, just replace 32nd America's Cup" in the install path with "VSK5Online" and it should work fine. The FWYC site has a pretty complete listing.

Also, if you're interested at all in high-quality fleet racing I'd suggest joining a club. They organize regular scored series as well as special regattas (like "mirror events" of real world races) and also provide a framework for handling protests, etc.... Clubs that race in the North American timezone include VSK-USA, Anarchist YC, and FWYC, with AYC probably the most active for casual racing (VSK-USA generally provides high quality racing in a smaller but very deep fleet - also is home to the defending team racing world champions). There are also worldwide clubs that organize match and team racing worldwide (including their respective world championships): VSK-Match and the International Team Racing and Beer Drinking YC (or ITBYC).

If you're having trouble running VSK on your machine I'd suggest tinkering with the graphics settings. I have a midrange 2006 Dell laptop that runs VSK fine.

#32 SonOfASailor

SonOfASailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:47 AM

Actually, I have the full version of VSK5. All the subfolders that the installers and stuff refer to within the game folder do not exist.

#33 Experimental

Experimental

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:53 AM

so there's nothing related to VSK in My Documents?

#34 SonOfASailor

SonOfASailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:58 AM

No there are folders there, but none of them are "Boats" or "WorkingVehicles" or anything the various installers refer to. I've searched the entire file structure with in Docs and Prog Files, and cant seem to find the files for the 4 basic boats.

However there is a boats.pak file?

#35 Experimental

Experimental

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:08 AM

Oh, Ok. The J/105 and most installers just need to be pointed to the root directory in My Documents (i.e /My Documents/VSK5/ or whatever) and they will make the file structure for you (default install does not include "boats" folder - needs to be created). No need to monkey with anything else yourself until you feel like trying your hand at making skins. Try it and let me know. Worked fine for me. PM me if you need anything else.

#36 Experimental

Experimental

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:33 AM

Actually, my mistake. The installer for the J105 (http://freeworldyach...et/J105install/) assumes you have 32nd America's Cup (same game, different name) and makes a 32nd America's folder in your my documents. Just run the installer with the default path, open that folder and copy the folders within to your VSK5 main directory.

Most other instructors use the game folder as the root install folder, so in the installer just change the install path to My Documents/VSK5/ rather than My Documents/32nd America's Cup

#37 Guernseybowman2

Guernseybowman2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Hell sailing of course with windsurfing and mountain biking thrown in to spice things up

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:45 PM

Does anyone have any Sailing Anarchy skins for any of the boats they could send to me or direct me to a site to download some???

#38 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,011 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:05 PM

Does anyone have any Sailing Anarchy skins for any of the boats they could send to me or direct me to a site to download some???

You can try these: http://www.teamshado...ingAnarchy1.zip

I banged them out a couple of years ago, I know there is a Melges and maybe an IACC; I don't remember. Nor am I sure if they work with the current version of VSK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users