• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 chinesegybe

chinesegybe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:12 AM

I'm looking at getting back into dinghy's after several years break from sailing due to work. I want to know what I should be looking at given.........

It must be competitive - no 1 or 2 boat classes
Preferably mono (no offence to Cats but I've grown up with Mono's)
Only singlehanders seem to be lasers - are there any other classes sailed in WA ?
2 Up - I've sailed Fireballs, etc over the years - 5O5's seem to be the go in WA (Not sure I could handle a 49er in the summer seabreeze)
Tasars - there seem to be a couple at RPYC, but not that active elsewhere - great scene in VIC, NSW, and SA. I've looked at the RS200 in the UK - but does anyone sail them over here ?
It has got to be a fun, no "head-up-their-own-ass" crowd.

C'mon, advice, tips etc needed.

P.S. I have been a member for a long time, so have already HTFU'd, STFU'd and thanks to free wine at Qantas Club in Brissie, currently heading for FU :-)

#2 mezaire

mezaire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:20 AM

Hey mate,

Jump onto http://www.freodoctor.com.au/

Local WA sailing website where alot of us WA SA's frequent.

But for now, Laser's are really the only popular single hander, especially seeing the Nat's etc are here over x-mas.

As for two handed,

Taser's are only at RPYC, usually get about 10 boats.
505's around the place
125's still popular
Javelin's and I14's sailed at Perth Dinghy club
Mirror worlds are in Albany this season so are coming back a little.

Mez

#3 rocknodster

rocknodster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Ice Hockey, Snowboarding

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:28 AM

You mentioned you didn't want small classes (class is small but is growing Nationally and Internationally), but there is the International Canoe - would be awesome on the Swan River and I'd love to organise a Nationals in WA to help get the class over there.

Our Nationals are in Albury this October (so if you happen to be East then drop in), or whenever you're in Vic, SA, NSW, Qld drop me an email if you want to have a test pilot.

Cheers

#4 Denny Crane

Denny Crane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:33 AM

If you are looking for a class that is awesome fun to sail, very competitive on the water and knows how to party then how can you go past the 505's? At the moment the WA guys don't race as much as they should but there are some young guys at the front of the fleet who are getting organised with more regular training and racing. Also there are lots of good boats that are being sold quite cheap so it is easy to get into the class.

If you want some more info or contacts PM me and I can help you out.

#5 nick125

nick125

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:55 AM

how big are you? get a 125 if your small...

#6 contender_neil

contender_neil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:10 PM

I'm looking at getting back into dinghy's after several years break from sailing due to work. I want to know what I should be looking at given.........

Only singlehanders seem to be lasers - are there any other classes sailed in WA ?
2 Up - I've sailed Fireballs, etc over the years - 5O5's seem to be the go in WA (Not sure I could handle a 49er in the summer seabreeze)
Tasars - there seem to be a couple at RPYC, but not that active elsewhere - great scene in VIC, NSW, and SA. I've looked at the RS200 in the UK - but does anyone sail them over here ?

P.S. I have been a member for a long time, so have already HTFU'd, STFU'd and thanks to free wine at Qantas Club in Brissie, currently heading for FU :-)

Good bunch of Contender sailors on the Swan River and Windrush is making some nice new ones.

Neil

#7 505duff

505duff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:13 AM

Hi,
I sail in the local WA 505 fleet.
Are you looking to crew or helm. send us a few more detials and I'll chase up a ride for you.

Most of the boats are in transit to itally for the 2008 worlds so very few boats sailing at the moment.
But I'll see what i can do.

Cheers,
Duff.

#8 scottmax

scottmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:43 AM

Good bunch of Contender sailors on the Swan River and Windrush is making some nice new ones.

Neil

A Contender would be a good choice.
Nationals are in Perth this year with the worlds in Brisbane in 2010. I found the WA guys to be helpful and keen to grow the class. The new new boats are being built in Perth at the moment by Windrush and from all accounts are very well built boats. One finished 4th in this years worlds.
Contenders are great to sail and you need not to find any crew and the associated hassle with that. They suit guys that are a little on the heavy side without a great deal of penalty and you do not need to hike just stand on the side.
I have personally sailed in 30+ Knots of breeze and found the boat controllable but I will admit they are a pig in under 5 knots. They are the most fun 12 - 25knots of breeze. The reaches are a blast.
Here is a link for you to look at. Australian contender web site.

#9 Sabot_sailor01

Sabot_sailor01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, mountain biking, hiking, camping, food, sleeping

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

There was musto skiff world in Perth so there must be some of them around

#10 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,833 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

So after almost 6 years what went down/up?

#11 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

sabot sailor

how old were you when the post before yours was put up?

btw get a time machine or delorean, musto worlds are in perth 2015 next year

transit 2008 >> 2015

#12 Sabot_sailor01

Sabot_sailor01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, mountain biking, hiking, camping, food, sleeping

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

Are????

Still want an mps though
And I can't help if I read it wrong

#13 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

If you want some real performance the Moth fleet in Perth is taking off, boosted with a new design just released from John Ilett to challelnege the Mach 2s. Moth Nationals will be in Perth Jan 2016.

#14 Cruiser

Cruiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:39 AM

WA moth fleet is growing well at last. We have had 12 boats at the state championships for the past two seasons and there is 5 others talking of joining the fleet for next summer.

The class is well supported by local moth builder John Ilett and sail maker Phil Smith from Avalon sails so it's easy to keep the boats in order and working well.

The main fleet is at SoPYC.

Moth worlds at Sorrento Victoria Jan 2015

Moth nationals in Perth at SoPYC Jan 2016

Search WA moth fleet on Facebook and ask about having a test if you are interested. (I can't seem to post the link??)

#15 aus2479

aus2479

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

I believe the sharpie fleet was rather strong over that way too. Singlehander though go the moth

#16 ASA

ASA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:35 AM

Agree with aus2479, Sharpies are great in the perth seabreezes awesome social and quality racing not to mention big national fleet. Moths for single hander or contender i guess.

#17 MSA

MSA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:41 AM

The 18 footer fleet is up and running again. Had 4 boats out a few weeks ago and 2 on the weekend.

Still 2 boats sitting there looking for new, Interested people. Plan is to get some formal racing going if we can get all boats to commit regularly.

#18 Norm

Norm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:41 AM

any reason why musto's haven't taken off in Aus ?  is it cost ? they sail a few in Melbourne and that is about it ?

#19 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:07 AM

In Australia there are basically too many classes already and trying to get a new one started is very difficult. Most clubs conduct racing for class fleets, not mixed fleets and for a club to start a new class they want a fleet of maybe 5 to even get a start. Many old classes are struggling to get local feet numbers, and quite often a few local fleets consolidate at one club. I do not think the sport is shrinking in total numbers, there are huge numbers racing on keel boats, and some classes have good fleets, but the rest is split up way to thinly amounst too many classes.

I have no knowledge as to whether this is the case in WA but I think I am seeing the reality in Sydney which is 4000km away or a very long drive.

In the last 25 years the only new classes which got a hold are those sponsored by Yachting Aust, like Opis, the 9ers, not much else gets established despite some big marketting pushes. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users