FT10 Offshore Cat 2 Coffs & Southport (whenever it is these days)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 incongruity

incongruity

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:11 PM

First thing I thought when I saw a Tiger at RANSA was f*rk what a perfect Coffs/Southport boat - and you can trail it home for us huge plus as we no longer deliver. Yacht racing is for fun deliveries creat stress and misery. I have never sailed the boat but will do as the season kicks off, at 29 I am nearing retirement age. Additionally ive follewed the development out of interest from a sailors persepective and product development view.

I did some quick investigation into outboards offshore ages ago - is a pernantly installed outboard in a well with remote controls etc cinsidered and inboard or permanent installation? I didnt get to checking what the wording in the blue book was but asked some who know more than most and conclusion was that it was very much a grey area, additionally the idea posted here created enough interest to pressure for at least a rule review.

Assume Prerry wouldnt draw a boat that didnt meet the 120 positive or whatever it is for Cat 2. Cant remeber dont care.

Reports ive are basically tippy and that the sails arent cut for conditions. Ive sailed tippy boats competatively but just holding on to the stiffer competition uphill in astrong breezes correctly set up ie blade and small heady and a deep 2nd reef main twisted off for 24 odd hours before losing them and the boat is showing to be very hot itn the states.

I was told ages ago that the FT was bringing the "ratbags but into sailing" like the JOG days well fucking perfect about time the scene got a bit wild. Piont is to expect opposition. Yes I can see issues eg lowering the leg without near zero boat speed, but with a MOB it can be, if planned, practiced etc done im sure ur meant to stop the fucker anyway asap, if you hit the bricks ur likely to stop as well and an outboard with a bigger prop likely to generate more thrust then a saildrive with a pissy folding 2 blade.

What is the call out there as history indicates we like to take our boats offshore, and in about a weeks time half the CYC marina occupants are just might be showing for sail signs.

Keen to have feedback and any comments raising relevant points - i didnt set out to cover everything nor could I however im bloody perfect in evryother respect so i tell the partner.

Thanks all

#2 richiec

richiec

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:43 AM

First thing I thought when I saw a Tiger at RANSA was f*rk what a perfect Coffs/Southport boat - and you can trail it home for us huge plus as we no longer deliver. Yacht racing is for fun deliveries creat stress and misery. I have never sailed the boat but will do as the season kicks off, at 29 I am nearing retirement age. Additionally ive follewed the development out of interest from a sailors persepective and product development view.

I did some quick investigation into outboards offshore ages ago - is a pernantly installed outboard in a well with remote controls etc cinsidered and inboard or permanent installation? I didnt get to checking what the wording in the blue book was but asked some who know more than most and conclusion was that it was very much a grey area, additionally the idea posted here created enough interest to pressure for at least a rule review.

Assume Prerry wouldnt draw a boat that didnt meet the 120 positive or whatever it is for Cat 2. Cant remeber dont care.

Reports ive are basically tippy and that the sails arent cut for conditions. Ive sailed tippy boats competatively but just holding on to the stiffer competition uphill in astrong breezes correctly set up ie blade and small heady and a deep 2nd reef main twisted off for 24 odd hours before losing them and the boat is showing to be very hot itn the states.

I was told ages ago that the FT was bringing the "ratbags but into sailing" like the JOG days well fucking perfect about time the scene got a bit wild. Piont is to expect opposition. Yes I can see issues eg lowering the leg without near zero boat speed, but with a MOB it can be, if planned, practiced etc done im sure ur meant to stop the fucker anyway asap, if you hit the bricks ur likely to stop as well and an outboard with a bigger prop likely to generate more thrust then a saildrive with a pissy folding 2 blade.

What is the call out there as history indicates we like to take our boats offshore, and in about a weeks time half the CYC marina occupants are just might be showing for sail signs.

Keen to have feedback and any comments raising relevant points - i didnt set out to cover everything nor could I however im bloody perfect in evryother respect so i tell the partner.

Thanks all

Had a few rums last night when the cricket was on, and then decided to jump online and knock this one out hey?? Good work fella.

#3 bcf

bcf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:08 AM

Thanks all

#4 bcf

bcf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:10 AM

Thanks all

Majored in grammar, did we ?

#5 incongruity

incongruity

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 02:37 PM

I noticed the spell check Ed added to the forum. Ever tried tying in bed on and angle getting a blow job.

Mate add something useful or get fucked.

Why are you dumber and more illiterate then me and cant work it out for the most part or would you like it in breil sweetheart.

#6 Tav

Tav

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:43 AM

I already checked the stability details on the CE certification from Brian and Bob Perry and it won't make cat 2. Interestingly under the current regs many of the boats out there around the 30' mark wouldn't either - maybe they are being grandfathered or not aware.

#7 Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:13 AM

I already checked the stability details on the CE certification from Brian and Bob Perry and it won't make cat 2. Interestingly under the current regs many of the boats out there around the 30' mark wouldn't either - maybe they are being grandfathered or not aware.

RORC have made it quite clear that they want the smaller boats outlawed as far as trying to comply with The Cat 2 is concerned. I should know I've had the experience of trying to get 2 30'ers up to Cat 2 for the Pittwater to Coffs.

The base SS requirement was raised in 2005/06 from 115 to 120, which meant boats like the RP 30, T980 and Mumm 30 no longer complied in their base spec.

Brindabella the Maxi has a SS of 125, just to prove how ridiculous the RORC decision is, having said that most of the boats that have floundered in recent years fall between the 35 to 45 foot marks, as for 30 to 32 there are none.

Back on topic, there is no way known that a Flying Tiger could ever reach the SS base requirement, it is just not designed with Cat 2 in mind, and to try and get it there would make the boat prohibitively heavy and slow.

My 2c

#8 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,221 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:47 PM

HCW, to get around RORC you'd run phrf
-------------------

of course it's the host - ISAF and YA that do the cats and SS STIX etc i reckon

#9 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:32 PM

The base SS requirement was raised in 2005/06 from 115 to 120, which meant boats like the RP 30, T980 and Mumm 30 no longer complied in their base spec.

For real? A Mumm 30?

#10 Bryce

Bryce

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:03 AM

Dam. There goes our big plans for BT in the Hobart. Was going ot invite you along Tav...

#11 Bryce

Bryce

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:05 AM

Dam. There goes our big plans for BT in the Hobart. Was going ot invite you along Tav...

#12 DAVO

DAVO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Gynaecology & horizontal folkdancing!!

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:19 AM

I thought this was a branch of the other thread re/ acid & tripping! :rolleyes:
Gotta be??? ;)

#13 adams10

adams10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Yacht racing,rum,xxxx gold,pubs, live music.

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:50 PM

RORC have made it quite clear that they want the smaller boats outlawed as far as trying to comply with The Cat 2 is concerned. I should know I've had the experience of trying to get 2 30'ers up to Cat 2 for the Pittwater to Coffs.

Brindabella the Maxi has a SS of 125, just to prove how ridiculous the RORC decision is, having said that most of the boats that have floundered in recent years fall between the 35 to 45 foot marks, as for 30 to 32 there are none.

Back on topic, there is no way known that a Flying Tiger could ever reach the SS base requirement, it is just not designed with Cat 2 in mind, and to try and get it there would make the boat prohibitively heavy and slow.

My 2c

Ditto for Adams 10 (cruising version ) . Safety requirements make the boat so heavy we cannot be competitive.We can do it , but not worth the expense- to be assured of non result , regardless of skill etc. Very impressed with light airs sailing capability of FT10 as shown by Likatiger(?) in St Helena Cup -right up the clacker of a couple of Farr 40's.

#14 Jason AUS

Jason AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:31 AM

Yeah, the boat sucks uphill without bensons anyway.... *massive bloody hint*

#15 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,221 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:17 AM

the Mooloolaba FT!0 has made CAT to race in the Bris-Gladdy

maybe some hints on how dave ?

#16 Cassowary Ugly

Cassowary Ugly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

The great QLDer FT is in an ocean race with safeties.

Likatiger is on the RQYS Keppel race tracker leading all the Farr 30s, five in number.

This is more a rap for the Farrs, 5 in a passage race.

Whats wrong with the cockroacher boats ?

a link is here

#17 CazzaRanda

CazzaRanda

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:52 AM

she's up there with the faster boats in her division and they haven't started running yet... now that they turn the corner it may get interesting

go, run likeatiger... :)

she's up there with the faster boats in her division and they haven't started running yet... now that they turn the corner it may get interesting

go, run likeatiger... :)

Attached Files

#18 Cassowary Ugly

Cassowary Ugly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:22 AM

buggermedead, W Oats is only 5 miles off the finish already.

The tracker shows headwinds at times, probably not expected?
See if the Farrs can do anything with that, they do have the advantage of a wolfpack.

The thing is FT may have a better nut on the tiller extension.

#19 Tiger 20

Tiger 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:44 PM

buggermedead, W Oats is only 5 miles off the finish already.

The tracker shows headwinds at times, probably not expected?
See if the Farrs can do anything with that, they do have the advantage of a wolfpack.

The thing is FT may have a better nut on the tiller extension.

Still seems to be doing good.

#20 CazzaRanda

CazzaRanda

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

http://www.brisbanet...l.com/standings

Impressive: 8th boat to finish, 5th PHS overall and even in IRC didn't do too bad...

Well done!

Posted Image

#21 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, snowboarding, hockey

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:00 PM

Nice! Any discussion on what, if any mods were done to the boat for this and similar races?

#22 Cutter

Cutter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:10 PM

the Mooloolaba FT!0 has made CAT to race in the Bris-Gladdy

maybe some hints on how dave ?

Boat is at hammo this year on B finger, come and say hi, If your interested i'll show you what we've done, how and why. Torps will also give you his interpretation of the chinese writing on the cabin top. Note there is no mods to the boats, keel and rig specs(except an extra halyard we run 2 mh and 2 frac). Just the equipment bolted on that you need to make it Cat2. The sail inventory has been expanded to cover everything. The extra weight is noticeable but it doesn't kill the boat as speculated, if you do it right it enhances the boat when placed appropriately. When we raced a tiger last year at Airlie the extra weight didn't seem to hurt us that much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users