#1 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts
  • Interests:brighton & solent

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:54 AM

Well other places have theirs, so I didn't want us to miss out, and we can be [a bit too] quiet and reserved, especially when we have so much going on here. I remember Cowes week this year, 1500 yots and virtually nuffink said.

Disgraceful!

Anyway, maybe it'll be a goer...

So what's your news/goss?

J

#2 cms

cms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:07 AM

Blustery Day is still in St Malo. New mast about to be stepped, so I may try and bring her back next week. New rags for 2009 too.

Otherwise done a bit of J/80 ing in the Winter Series, and continue on the red medicine at the Southern bar.

#3 racing ron

racing ron

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:50 AM

Was out training on the 40 last Saturday - put the new Code zero up in some breeze to see how it works off the wind - mixed results!

Did one of the Winter series on a J80 and managed to prop up the back of the fleet (probably because I was on board calling tactics!)

Will be out probably every other weekend on the 40 depending on the work schedule over the winter - we've learnt loads this season and have plenty of mods to make......

#4 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:34 AM

Was out training on the 40 last Saturday - put the new Code zero up in some breeze to see how it works off the wind - mixed results!

Did one of the Winter series on a J80 and managed to prop up the back of the fleet (probably because I was on board calling tactics!)

Will be out probably every other weekend on the 40 depending on the work schedule over the winter - we've learnt loads this season and have plenty of mods to make......

how is it 2-handed with a 200 sq m kite?

#5 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:35 AM

Blustery Day is still in St Malo. New mast about to be stepped, so I may try and bring her back next week. New rags for 2009 too.

Otherwise done a bit of J/80 ing in the Winter Series, and continue on the red medicine at the Southern bar.

CMS did you do an Boss on the mast and break it?

#6 racing ron

racing ron

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:45 AM

how is it 2-handed with a 200 sq m kite?

Challenging.

To be honest it's a very physical boat and we both need to raise our game quite a bit to get the best out of her. She's awesome though when we're screaming along in the early 20's - think when we're a bit more sorted mid to high 20's are on the cards....

Also, she's pretty unforgiving - you make one f%ck up and it's just a downward spiral as everything else goes wrong!

Been a good season learning her though - signing up for most of the 40 calender next year and see how we get on against the others - only racked up against Gusilliam this year in a few of the offshores and a couple of the French Pogo's in the St Malo race.

Heard some worrying things about Gusilliam recently.....

#7 kiwiInLondon

kiwiInLondon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:58 AM

wondering what I am going to do this weekend with no racing....

well actually I am going to watch the All Blacks beat the Aussies in HK. Normally sailing interfers with this other favourite pastime of me

#8 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:05 PM

well actually I am going to watch the All Blacks beat the Aussies in HK. Normally sailing interfers with this other favourite pastime of me

kiwi - what are you normally on?

#9 cms

cms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

Mast broke just below the lower spreaders 30 miles north of Cherbourg mid July. Taken a while to get the new one built and together.

#10 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:22 PM

Mast broke just below the lower spreaders 30 miles north of Cherbourg mid July. Taken a while to get the new one built and together.

eeek

#11 kiwiInLondon

kiwiInLondon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:01 PM

Tangaroa - the Pronvaia 38. Just over 12 months old now. We have just started to get her back on track after breaking the mast earlier in the year

#12 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:46 PM

Tangaroa - the Pronvaia 38. Just over 12 months old now. We have just started to get her back on track after breaking the mast earlier in the year

what a crap way to start the year!

good luck with it

#13 BaDaBing!

BaDaBing!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Ummm - Golf??

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:10 PM

I see batfish 3 is doing well at the winter series in his new toy. Good to see a scot doing well in that tidal shithole you guys call home...

Come to the clyde for some scenery - sometimes you can even see more than 200m through the rain!

#14 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:13 PM

I see batfish 3 is doing well at the winter series in his new toy. Good to see a scot doing well in that tidal shithole you guys call home...

Come to the clyde for some scenery - sometimes you can even see more than 200m through the rain!

Oi!

This is solent anarchy - fuck off back to Glasgow, you scots are far too successful down here...

#15 The Main Man

The Main Man

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:53 PM

Oi!

This is solent anarchy - fuck off back to Glasgow, you scots are far too successful down here...

And anyway, most of us get nervous when we don't have land on both sides of us - we couldn't leave the Solent!

#16 6times7

6times7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:20 PM

Kiwi - you guys are going well when you get it right (a 3rd & 4th place so far in HRSC winter series) other times you seem to be struggling to hold height. It's not the conditions, gd results in heavy and light, keep it coming, more competition the better, and IRC 2 seems to have the most. X334 seems to have it sorted though, guess the newer design is helping, lots of main, lots of kite, seems IRC friendly.
And fair play to Batfish, never managed sh1t in the 109, but is clearing up in class 0, anyone know if he's kept the same crew?

#17 Flaming

Flaming

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:02 AM

Kiwi - you guys are going well when you get it right (a 3rd & 4th place so far in HRSC winter series) other times you seem to be struggling to hold height. It's not the conditions, gd results in heavy and light, keep it coming, more competition the better, and IRC 2 seems to have the most. X334 seems to have it sorted though, guess the newer design is helping, lots of main, lots of kite, seems IRC friendly.
And fair play to Batfish, never managed sh1t in the 109, but is clearing up in class 0, anyone know if he's kept the same crew?

The J marketing philosophy - Not winning in your current J? Never mind, we've got a bigger one for you to buy!

IRC 2 certainly is pretty tough. Bring on the heavier stuff where we seem to be able to hold the X34 off.

#18 cms

cms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:16 AM

Batfish is currently well pro'ed up.

#19 Will'eau

Will'eau

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:15 PM

many out doing the pursuit race tomorrow?, my cockles are so thankful I couldn't find enough crew to go and do it. Just saving my warm pills now for the next one

#20 Will'eau

Will'eau

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:27 PM

I would personally say that "Flexer" the x 34 is very well rated at 1.005, the guys sail it well and are consistent. We have to give them 2mins 13 an hour and they are a foot longer than us.......... :angry: :angry: :huh: :ph34r:

#21 Jinn

Jinn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:23 PM

:o that is bad news - I hope you'll have her running again soon!
I'll never forget that great weekend at the WOKC, beautiful Blustery day and the international team! Hope everyone is well - give my best wishes to your mrs. cms

#22 ceeagr

ceeagr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:43 PM

Well I took Batfish (J109) out for the first weekend as "Jumunu Two and a Half) and considering the crew we had on board and our result (specialy the second one) it's not the boat that's to blame.

I suspect some good sailors on Batfish 3

;-)

#23 6times7

6times7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:00 PM

many out doing the pursuit race tomorrow?, my cockles are so thankful I couldn't find enough crew to go and do it. Just saving my warm pills now for the next one

You weren't the only ones- 200 odd boats listed on start times document, 12 started 10 finished!!! There would have been more people on committee boats then racing!

#24 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:35 PM

Well I took Batfish (J109) out for the first weekend as "Jumunu Two and a Half) and considering the crew we had on board and our result (specialy the second one) it's not the boat that's to blame.

;-)

bill must be very happy, chuffed for him, he's been trying so hard for so long - who's on board?

#25 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

PS who are the people to beat on the sigma 33 fleet if anyone's playing there?

#26 jonny walker

jonny walker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:59 AM

;-)

bill must be very happy, chuffed for him, he's been trying so hard for so long - who's on board?

Probably not Bill ! :lol:

#27 jonny walker

jonny walker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:01 AM

All of them of course! are you not feeling very bright today?

#28 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:25 AM

All of them of course! are you not feeling very bright today?

went through a particularly stupid patch there...

#29 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,843 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:42 AM

You weren't the only ones- 200 odd boats listed on start times document, 12 started 10 finished!!! There would have been more people on committee boats then racing!

And on a gorgeous Autumn sailing day. Very sad - it's not so many years since 100+ boats sailed this race. Big mistake to have moved it from end of season IMO.

#30 Marko

Marko

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:42 PM

This is the first time since about 2003 I've done the winter series and think the move to two races/day is a big improvement.

In IRC 3 we are basically doing two 60 minute races with 2 and-a-bit-beats in each so fairly punchy races with about 6 mins from the start to the layline, putting a big premium on getting the first few minutes of the race (and before the race) right.

#31 6times7

6times7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:34 PM

This is the first time since about 2003 I've done the winter series and think the move to two races/day is a big improvement.

In IRC 3 we are basically doing two 60 minute races with 2 and-a-bit-beats in each so fairly punchy races with about 6 mins from the start to the layline, putting a big premium on getting the first few minutes of the race (and before the race) right.

Two races per day has been great, no room for making any mistakes in short sharp races. Well done to the committee for handling it so well, must be hard keeping track of that many boats without spilling the G&T :D .
Next improvement woiuld be reduce the number of discards, potentially chucking 4 results from 13 is too many, doesn't reward the consistency that should count in a longer series - IMHO.

#32 ravings

ravings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:43 PM

Are any Sigmas still going? I used to sail on "Honey of Bosham" in the late 90s.

#33 Flaming

Flaming

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:40 PM

Two races per day has been great, no room for making any mistakes in short sharp races. Well done to the committee for handling it so well, must be hard keeping track of that many boats without spilling the G&T :D .
Next improvement woiuld be reduce the number of discards, potentially chucking 4 results from 13 is too many, doesn't reward the consistency that should count in a longer series - IMHO.

I'm with you on that. Guessing their reasoning is that some boats may not be able to make every weekend, and allowing a boat to miss 2 weekends and still be in with a shot encourages participation.
The two races really is a great change though. The old longer races were often rather processional after a few legs.

I'd also put the prizegiving back. By the time we'd got up to Swanwick, moored up and driven down to the club they'd given our prize away! Really could have used that winch handle too...

#34 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,843 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:17 AM

Are any Sigmas still going?

I saw around 15 starting off the Squadron in 2007 so presumably yes. There was an almighty port/starboard crunch 1 minute before the gun, so not much changed there either.

#35 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,843 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:19 AM

Two races per day has been great, no room for making any mistakes in short sharp races. Well done to the committee for handling it so well, must be hard keeping track of that many boats without spilling the G&T

HRSC have had plenty of practice as White Group has had 2 races a day for years.

#36 kiwiInLondon

kiwiInLondon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:29 AM

Yeah hopefully we have sorted some of the pointing issues we were having....touch wood.

Looks like its going to be a breezy one this weekend

#37 Flaming

Flaming

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:20 AM

Looks like its going to be a breezy one this weekend

Good! Just hope they don't can it like the first weekend....

#38 kiwiInLondon

kiwiInLondon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:22 AM

Good! Just hope they don't can it like the first weekend....

hear, hear!

#39 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:34 PM

marko - what are you on? I'll be on Light this sunday [sigma 33] in the same class I think

#40 kiwiInLondon

kiwiInLondon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:38 PM

marko - what are you on? I'll be on Light this sunday [sigma 33] in the same class I think

Light - they are on the opposite side of the pontoon to me. F twenty somethingarather ending in an odd number at Port Hamble?

#41 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:22 PM

Light - they are on the opposite side of the pontoon to me. F twenty somethingarather ending in an odd number at Port Hamble?

ooops - may be 38

do say hello.

Jem

#42 Smudger

Smudger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:03 PM

Hello i've never posted on here,

I'm the bowman on Batfish 3, i wasn't expecting to find mention of us on here, mainly quite flattering !! cheers.

I'm now floundering for something to write, i had a meal with the tangaroa lot in the whyte harte i seem to remember.

out.

#43 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:18 PM

I'm the bowman on Batfish 3, i wasn't expecting to find mention of us on here, mainly quite flattering !! cheers.

I'm now floundering for something to write, i had a meal with the tangaroa lot in the whyte harte i seem to remember.

out.

do like bill - specially his Gilbert and Sullivan [at a distance]

However the traditional greeting here [and I apologise in a slightly deferential english way] is;

Fuck off newbie!

/ show us your tits / pics or it didn't happen

Jem

PS good to have you on board and do say hi to Bill !

and WTF have you been doing for the past year not posting - working [lightweight] ?

#44 JenBee

JenBee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts
  • Interests:Classic motorsport, Dogs

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:33 PM

ooops - may be 38

do say hello.

Jem

First boat I ever raced on was a Sigma 33, well at least I learned how to pack a kite! ;-)

No yachting for me since Cowes :-(

#45 Marko

Marko

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:07 AM

I'm trimming on Festina Lente, so-far-so-good.

Light are a nice bunch, I did the nationals with them down in Poole.

#46 Flatbag

Flatbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,128 posts
  • Interests:Shattering illusions

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:29 AM

Amphetamines?

#47 Thiepval

Thiepval

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:45 PM

First boat I ever raced on was a Sigma 33, well at least I learned how to pack a kite! ;-)

Awwwwwwwwh.... pooreeer Jen......
No yachting but much canoing, me thinks....

Personally I should be out sailing my island based two man plaining keelboat this weekend, weather permitting.

#48 DaneRalston

DaneRalston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:anything that can be rented

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:50 PM

Personally I should be out sailing my island based two man plaining keelboat this weekend, weather permitting.

Not that the poor wee bus gets to plane much with yer big ass hangin off the back end!!!!

:lol:

#49 JenBee

JenBee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts
  • Interests:Classic motorsport, Dogs

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:25 PM

Not that poor Jen, just too many other things going on and let's face it the weather hasn't been that great so I've not missed it ;-) Canoeing only fun on scottish lochs not the Solent ;-)

#50 ravings

ravings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:35 PM

I really ought to try & get out before the end of the year. Options are pretty limited

#51 Pikey

Pikey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:02 PM

thought this might be a good place to ask the question......anyone know of a boat in that area that may be up for charter for fastnet next year? been sent on the hunt for a boat...something in the 35 - 45 foot range, either private or from a company. any tips/leads would be appreciated!

cheers,

pikey

#52 Dino

Dino

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:53 AM

I heard earlier this year that the old Grand Soleil 42 Racer Cruiser was for sale but also available for charter. She would be a cracking boat for the Fastnet. Otherwise you could look at a 40.7 but make sure you get one that is well set up for offshore.

#53 kiwiInLondon

kiwiInLondon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:06 AM

I heard earlier this year that the old Grand Soleil 42 Racer Cruiser was for sale but also available for charter. She would be a cracking boat for the Fastnet. Otherwise you could look at a 40.7 but make sure you get one that is well set up for offshore.

One of sailing logic reflexe 38s are up for sale, maybe you could do them a deal to charter it - http://www.charterha...arter/index.htm

#54 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:13 AM

a J-122 could be a good bandit

J-uk will help with that

#55 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:41 PM

bit disappointed we didn't go out and get in one race today, but probably best overall....

it's blowing dogs off chains...

J

#56 Flaming

Flaming

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:04 PM

bit disappointed we didn't go out and get in one race today, but probably best overall....

J

Would be much more gutted but the marina forgot to put the boat in the water! Might have dodged a bullet there!

#57 6times7

6times7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:09 PM

J

From the webpage (Jamie painting a target on his back):-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All racing cancelled
Wind currently 18-22 kts south westerly with gusts to over 30, building 5 kts per hour throughout the day, so by 10 we will have 20-25 knots with gusts to 40 and by 12 we will have 25-30 kts with gusts to 45, and continuing to build throughout the day - a worsening forecast

With the high tide at 08:00, the tide will be ebbing strongly until 12:30, so we would have had wind against tide in the main channel.

Because it looked fairly benign an hour ago, it has been a very difficult decision - looking out the window it looks OK right now, but the figures are telling us it is going be very windy within a few hours

Latest reports from Needles is 23 kts gusting 41; From St. Cats 25 gusting 35, although MRSC is still reporting an 18 kt mean.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second time this series we've had racing cancelled early due to a forecast that didn't happen, think we should at least be going out to see what its like. People come a long way and make a big commitment to go racing in the Winter Series - we aren't looking for blue skies and 10 knots....

#58 Marko

Marko

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:33 AM

J

From the webpage (Jamie painting a target on his back):-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All racing cancelled
Wind currently 18-22 kts south westerly with gusts to over 30, building 5 kts per hour throughout the day, so by 10 we will have 20-25 knots with gusts to 40 and by 12 we will have 25-30 kts with gusts to 45, and continuing to build throughout the day - a worsening forecast

With the high tide at 08:00, the tide will be ebbing strongly until 12:30, so we would have had wind against tide in the main channel.

Because it looked fairly benign an hour ago, it has been a very difficult decision - looking out the window it looks OK right now, but the figures are telling us it is going be very windy within a few hours

Latest reports from Needles is 23 kts gusting 41; From St. Cats 25 gusting 35, although MRSC is still reporting an 18 kt mean.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second time this series we've had racing cancelled early due to a forecast that didn't happen, think we should at least be going out to see what its like. People come a long way and make a big commitment to go racing in the Winter Series - we aren't looking for blue skies and 10 knots....

I don't really agree. I got the text from the skipper at 07.30 just as I was leaving the house in London so saved me a pointless 150 mile round trip. I'm glad of the early decision and I think it was a good one. To be honest could have been make the aftertnoon before but then pople really would grumble.

Breeze in the mid 20s (with gusts above that) is marginal for most competitors (flame away) and likely to result in breakages and injuries.
Its not the commodores cup or the fastnet, its club racing and the decision reflects that.

#59 Flaming

Flaming

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:42 AM

I don't really agree. I got the text from the skipper at 07.30 just as I was leaving the house in London so saved me a pointless 150 mile round trip. I'm glad of the early decision and I think it was a good one. To be honest could have been make the aftertnoon before but then pople really would grumble.

Breeze in the mid 20s (with gusts above that) is marginal for most competitors (flame away) and likely to result in breakages and injuries.
Its not the commodores cup or the fastnet, its club racing and the decision reflects that.

Eh? When I lived in London I had to leave at half 5! Do you own a Bugatti Veron or something? Our London based crew got as far as Winchester this week before turning round and firing off a stream of angry texts.

This week was a better call than the last one that was canned, was really annoyed with that, especially as the windguru forecast (amongst others) exactly matched the bramblemet said happened and was easily raceable by 11.

Getting into the habit of canning racing when the forecast mentions 30 is a bad thing, and will gradually erode the ability of sailors to cope with strong breeze, as I think we saw at the start of the season with a very large amount of carnage in the windy spring series racing.

#60 racing ron

racing ron

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:50 AM

Eh? When I lived in London I had to leave at half 5! Do you own a Bugatti Veron or something? Our London based crew got as far as Winchester this week before turning round and firing off a stream of angry texts.

This week was a better call than the last one that was canned, was really annoyed with that, especially as the windguru forecast (amongst others) exactly matched the bramblemet said happened and was easily raceable by 11.

Getting into the habit of canning racing when the forecast mentions 30 is a bad thing, and will gradually erode the ability of sailors to cope with strong breeze, as I think we saw at the start of the season with a very large amount of carnage in the windy spring series racing.

Sorry Flaming - got to agree with Marko here - been out on too many carnage winter/spring series races and I just don't see it being worth it.

What time do you guys leave the dock?

Having said that I stopped doing both series a long time ago 'cause I hate getting up early on Sundays and I get plenty of other sailing throughout the season - multiple races each day which they've started doing is tempting me back a little though....

#61 Marko

Marko

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:52 AM

I live near the top of the M3, it take me about an hour and 10 to get to the Hamble.

#62 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

I live near the top of the M3, it take me about an hour and 10 to get to the Hamble.

lucky bugger!

also absolutely agree Marko - the earlier the call, the better.

#63 Flaming

Flaming

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:33 PM

lucky bugger!

Only when it's obvious. Giving it a chance for a few hours would have resulted in racing on the first weekend.

#64 badlands

badlands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

lucky bugger!

Only when it's obvious. Giving it a chance for a few hours would have resulted in racing on the first weekend.

This is a very difficult area for the race committee. I think this time they were 10 mins after 7.30 when they put the cancellation on the site, somewhat later than on 12 October. If they delay beyond this time and then cancel there will be many more moans and groans. On 12 October they were probably wrong with 20/20 hindsight to cancel but yesterday its a bit different. Bad forecasts for days, a shipping forecast mentioning force 10 and reports of increasing wind locally, the alternative is to carry on for the black group and risk having to cancel when out there. I think given all the info they had at the time they made the right decision.

#65 Cats Rule

Cats Rule

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, designing stuff

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:14 PM

thought this might be a good place to ask the question......anyone know of a boat in that area that may be up for charter for fastnet next year? been sent on the hunt for a boat...something in the 35 - 45 foot range, either private or from a company. any tips/leads would be appreciated!

cheers,

pikey

If your desprate you could charter one of 5 star sailing's J109s..... but thats if ur desperate. There not in the best of nic..., i've reapired thier sails alot..

Lets hope for good breeze next weekend, and some sunshine!!!! Too much rain to-day, got stuck in one of my class rooms.

#66 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:30 AM

cheers,

pikey

If your desprate you could charter one of 5 star sailing's J109s..... but thats if ur desperate. There not in the best of nic..., i've reapired thier sails alot..

Lets hope for good breeze next weekend, and some sunshine!!!! Too much rain to-day, got stuck in one of my class rooms.

if your going down that route Jellyfish Charters will charter racing 109s with their own sails supplied. Unsure about what the sails they are but they are not the usual ones used on the boat, so may [?] be in better condition.

I rang them about chartering but didn't receive a call back, but you may have better luck.

J

#67 Pikey

Pikey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:32 AM

thanks for all the replys, reckon something like the 109 would be about right.....looking at the 2 handed so seems manageable enough

any more suggestions welcome!

#68 6times7

6times7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:16 PM

thanks for all the replys, reckon something like the 109 would be about right.....looking at the 2 handed so seems manageable enough

Not an expert but 105s seem more succesfull offshore than the 109's, think its something to do with them starting to surf quicker and sailing better to there handicap as soon as you're just off the breeze. Checking results for RORC double handed division might shed sopme light, only two finishers in 07 Fastnet two handed were both 105's

#69 Pikey

Pikey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:13 PM

Not an expert but 105s seem more succesfull offshore than the 109's, think its something to do with them starting to surf quicker and sailing better to there handicap as soon as you're just off the breeze. Checking results for RORC double handed division might shed sopme light, only two finishers in 07 Fastnet two handed were both 105's

Yeah was loooking at that.....105 would also be a good boat, always seems to do well under IRC, and have been quite successful in short handing also

but more to the point really is what i can get! any contacts etc with private owners who would like to race cowes week as part of a charter also...??

At the moment just fishing to see what i can come up with. emailed/called all the above and some more, waiting for responses!

#70 Soton_Speed

Soton_Speed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Sailing and Drinking...

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:58 PM

Jem,

Check your pm's...

#71 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,270 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:29 PM

cheers,

pikey

My j105 is for sale .. absolutely turney for a two handed Fastnet, all the gear .. the boat's been raced 2-handed inshore and offshore for 5 years very succesfully, completed 2005 Fastnet and dismasted in 2007 due to operator error (so new mast and rigging)

#72 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:51 PM

Yeah was loooking at that.....105 would also be a good boat, always seems to do well under IRC, and have been quite successful in short handing also

but more to the point really is what i can get! any contacts etc with private owners who would like to race cowes week as part of a charter also...??

At the moment just fishing to see what i can come up with. emailed/called all the above and some more, waiting for responses!

The 105 is a corker, so long as you don't have to go upwind in less than 8 kn.

Planes well and a lovely nice tight reacher and 2-hander

#73 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,270 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:03 PM

Re: cancellation last weekend.

I was down in Hamble from 11 and the wind was already pretty fresh even in the marina, by about 2 it was really blowing. Possibly the bigger boats could have got one race in but had the front come through a little earlier then that would have been questionable. Racing in marginal conditions just shags the equipment it's a long series so use the time available to race another day.

#74 6times7

6times7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:57 PM

Re: cancellation last weekend.

I was down in Hamble from 11 and the wind was already pretty fresh even in the marina, by about 2 it was really blowing. Possibly the bigger boats could have got one race in but had the front come through a little earlier then that would have been questionable. Racing in marginal conditions just shags the equipment it's a long series so use the time available to race another day.

First race would have been over by 2 for all classes (last IRC 4 finished at 13:00 previous weekends racing, when start was delayed by an hour), pretty fresh makes for good racing, IMHO. If you don't want to race in windy conditions, the Winter Series might not be for you.

I realise I'm in the minority here, but, it was a long series, from 16, we've lost 4 due to cancellations, there's now 3 discards- 9 results counting. Say we lose another weekend, (likely on %'s so far), that would be 10 races, 2 discards, 8 results counting - either way half a series. I realise the weathers out of the RC's control , but we should at least be going out to try. Both cancellations so far have been due to forecasts that didn't materialise, although last weekend turned out to be a closer call.
While Marko was saved a wasted trip, there were plenty of others around Hamble at 8:30 pissed off at not even leaving the dock. If the boat/crew aren't happy with the conditions, the skipper should not be going out, there are plenty of boats that can race in 25+ knots though. I suspect the legal ramifications of having a serious injury/damage are something to do with the calls.

However forecast looks better for this weekend, and I'm sure RC will do their usual professional job.

#75 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:36 PM

Hey Marko,

Nice moves, when we crossed you in the second race, I thought that you were down the pan!

Well done

J

#76 Heavy Woman

Heavy Woman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:59 PM

It was a nice day out today wasn't it, we had some excellent close racing in the J80 fleet, I'm hoping it will be as much fun in IRC 2 next week!
Have a nice week chaps!!

HW

#77 Flaming

Flaming

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:18 AM

Forecast looks a little iffy for Sunday, anyone care for a wager about the odds of it being cancelled again..?

#78 Heavy Woman

Heavy Woman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:04 PM

Nooooo.....I'm surposed to be playing on the X34 this weekend, I've been looking forward to it - a bit of yachting with Action Woman Jane. I really don't want us to get canned again!

How bad is the forecast really looking?????

HW

#79 Flaming

Flaming

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:46 PM

Nooooo.....I'm surposed to be playing on the X34 this weekend, I've been looking forward to it - a bit of yachting with Action Woman Jane. I really don't want us to get canned again!

How bad is the forecast really looking?????

HW

Forecast I've seen talks of a front crossing the area in the morning - 20-30 knots behind it but gusts to 40 or 50 ahead of it. If it gets delayed a bit those gusts could easily be hitting around start time.

Personally I want 20-30 knots (but not cancelled) as we seem to be able to save our time against that X34 in the heavy stuff!

#80 waybarger

waybarger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:58 AM

HRSC winter series yesterday was a complete farce

black gropu postponed for an hour, fair enough, but when we got to the supposed start area, nearly at Ryde, there was no committee boat in sight

they did eventually turn up at about 1040, 20 mins before the ammended start time, took one look at the squall coming through at the time and said it was to bad to race then rushed back to the warmth of the club house leaving us all with an hour motor back home

5 mins later the vis cleared and although windy they could have run a race

call this the winter series! fair weather series more like........

#81 Flaming

Flaming

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:07 AM

HRSC winter series yesterday was a complete farce

black gropu postponed for an hour, fair enough, but when we got to the supposed start area, nearly at Ryde, there was no committee boat in sight

they did eventually turn up at about 1040, 20 mins before the ammended start time, took one look at the squall coming through at the time and said it was to bad to race then rushed back to the warmth of the club house leaving us all with an hour motor back home

5 mins later the vis cleared and although windy they could have run a race

call this the winter series! fair weather series more like........

I agree. We wanted to sail.

Any idiot could tell that was a squall and would blow through, to base the decision on that was odd.

I hesitate to criticise the race comittee as they normally do a great job for little thanks, but this winter series has been possibly the most frustrating "racing" I've ever experienced.

#82 DKMS

DKMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:32 AM

cheers,

pikey

If you're desprate you could charter one of 5 star sailing's J109s..... but thats if you're desperate. They're not in the best of nic..., i've repaired their sails a lot.

Lets hope for good breeze next weekend, and some sunshine!!!! Too much rain today, got stuck in one of my classrooms.

Ok, this just isn't fair. How come the youngest of our family gets away with terrible spelling, and yet when its me i get blasted. Where's Bowbird when you need her!!!!

Sulk over

#83 Cats Rule

Cats Rule

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:40 AM

cheers,

pikey

If you're desprate you could charter one of 5 star sailing's J109s..... but thats if you're desperate. They're not in the best of nic..., i've repaired their sails a lot.

Lets hope for good breeze next weekend, and some sunshine!!!! Too much rain today, got stuck in one of my classrooms.

Ok, this just isn't fair. How come the youngest of our family gets away with terrible spelling, and yet when its me i get blasted. Where's Bowbird when you need her!!!!

Sulk over

Oi! All my spelling is correct numnuts!!! Is it not spelt in a special Sinclair way or something?? Or is the Davids special way???
:P :P :P :P

#84 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:15 PM

yea, we obviously had the discussion a couple of weeks ago, but it's a difficult call. I don't like being RO for that reason, and my sympathies go out the them.

However I don't quite understand the rationale. I kind of get the imppression that it's starting to be not the done thing to arrange a sail against the forecast of a gale. Given thet we had an 8/9, then it could be called around 0500 with the inshore waters forecast, especially if it had been a steady forecast for some time, as this was. It would have saved lots of time for lots of crews.

But if we're goint to see the conditions, then AP up and let's alll troll out the starting area and see what transpires. Maybe it was just because we arrived at the starting area and it was called off, but it seemed to be done quite quickly just as the biggest squalls of the day went through around 11 and it seemed to settle down quite nicely afterwards.

Or maybe that was my view from the bar...

#85 DKMS

DKMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:04 PM

cheers,

pikey

Sulk over

Oi! All my spelling is correct numnuts!!! Is it not spelt in a special Sinclair way or something?? Or is this Davids special way???

Perhaps if you spent more time in lessons rather than posting on forums your (and not the CORRECT use of that version of the word!!!) spelling might get better! GO DO SOME WORK!!!

Hypocritical hijack over.

#86 Cats Rule

Cats Rule

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:51 PM

cheers,

pikey

Sulk over

Oi! All my spelling is correct numnuts!!! Is it not spelt in a special Sinclair way or something?? Or is this Davids special way???

Perhaps if you spent more time in lessons rather than posting on forums your (and not the CORRECT use of that version of the word!!!) spelling might get better! GO DO SOME WORK!!!

Hypocritical hijack over.

Go get a HAIR CUT!

I don't see how you can put "or is ths Davids special way" in better english, and i just doodle and daydream in my english lessons anyway, so i'm not that fussed..

Stupid brothers......

#87 pickle2

pickle2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:39 AM

out.

Smudger - Good floundering - bet its cold up there this time of year - brrrrrrrrrrrr get your arse over here for some warm sailing! - Over.............

#88 6times7

6times7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:54 PM

Weekend race report -

Winter Series Race Director Jamie Wilkinson explained his thoughts behind the decision to competitors back in the warmth of the Hamble River Sailing Club bar. On arriving in the racing area, the committee boat crew had encountered extremely bad visibility in heavy rain squalls to the extent that they were unable to see the proposed pin end mark. It was also consistently blowing 30-35 knots and racing would have been both unsafe and very miserable. A reluctant decision was made to send the 30 or so boats that had come out to play back home without a race.
WTF!

Not surprised the RC had bad vis, they never opened the canvas covers throughout the whole two minutes they were in the starting area!! Oh yeah, and it was raining and gusting over 30, like it does in a squall at the back of a front -you know, like the one you postponed racing for an hour for to allow through. Only 30 boats went out so it was almost certainly the ones that can deal with some breeze. Most boats where set up for full main & No3, and as someone pointed out, whats the No 4, reefs and storm sails for - decoration? Rant over, its a difficult job I know, and I felt for the guys in the RIB.

On another note, got sent this X34 race reports recently. They've cleared up in IRC 2 this series, and should be in with a shout for Boat of the Series. Anyone care to comment on their success. Is it down to design or sailors? Shoudn't be that much better preped than others in class but probably have a few more pros on board. Design appears better suited to UK waters than the X35 which gets overpowered quickly and seems to have hit a sweet balance for IRC, very main biased from figures on X website. Is it an endorsed certificate? Oh yeah, and has JC been driving No Retreat all series?

#89 Marko

Marko

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:19 PM

They've cleared up in IRC 2 this series, and should be in with a shout for Boat of the Series. Anyone care to comment on their success. Is it down to design or sailors? Shoudn't be that much better preped than others in class but probably have a few more pros on board. Design appears better suited to UK waters than the X35 which gets overpowered quickly and seems to have hit a sweet balance for IRC, very main biased from figures on X website. Is it an endorsed certificate? Oh yeah, and has JC been driving No Retreat all series?

I'm kinda hoping the boat cleaning up IRC 3 is in the hunt too..... ;)

#90 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:44 PM

They've cleared up in IRC 2 this series, and should be in with a shout for Boat of the Series. Anyone care to comment on their success. Is it down to design or sailors? Shoudn't be that much better preped than others in class but probably have a few more pros on board. Design appears better suited to UK waters than the X35 which gets overpowered quickly and seems to have hit a sweet balance for IRC, very main biased from figures on X website. Is it an endorsed certificate? Oh yeah, and has JC been driving No Retreat all series?

we'll see!

#91 Cats Rule

Cats Rule

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:37 PM

Any body going up to the boat show or watever there calling it at earls court this weekend?? My Dad (cms) is up there working and i was up there on sun helping him rig up his boats and there was already a fairly good selection of boats, with a fair few in the pool, Paul Hayse has got 6 boats there, 3Js, 1 gran solie and and two other ones.

#92 Jem

Jem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:49 PM

Any body going up to the boat show or watever there calling it at earls court this weekend?? My Dad (cms) is up there working and i was up there on sun helping him rig up his boats and there was already a fairly good selection of boats, with a fair few in the pool, Paul Hayse has got 6 boats there, 3Js, 1 gran solie and and two other ones.

2 of my crew who are rowing between Australia and Mauritius next year are there most of the weekend.

big hairy arsed bastards doing stupid things

Anyone going up, do say hi to them and also cats rule, to CMS.

J

#93 badlands

badlands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:13 PM

Weekend race report -

[On another note, got sent this X34 race reports recently. They've cleared up in IRC 2 this series, and should be in with a shout for Boat of the Series. Anyone care to comment on their success. Is it down to design or sailors? Shoudn't be that much better preped than others in class but probably have a few more pros on board. Design appears better suited to UK waters than the X35 which gets overpowered quickly and seems to have hit a sweet balance for IRC, very main biased from figures on X website. Is it an endorsed certificate? Oh yeah, and has JC been driving No Retreat all series?

The X34 Flexer is a very well sailed boat that appears to rate well. It looks like an X35 on the water and as can be seen from the stats below sourced from the X yachts website has similar but slightly smaller dimensions. It weighs a tonne more half of which is in the slightly shallower bulb and benefits from a hull factor of 8.3 compared to 9.2 for the X35. However even with a hike of .02 in the rating it would still be winning. It seems to be an endorsed cert.
With regard to No Retreat who is JC?

X-34 DIMENSIONS Preliminary
Hull length 10.36 m 34.0 ft
LWL 9.09 m 29.8 ft
B. MAX 3.40 m 11.2 ft
Draft - standard 1.90 m 6.2 ft
Draft - shallow 1.65 m 5.4 ft
Ballast - standard 2,200 kg 4,850 lbs
Displacement - light 5,300 kg 11,684 lbs
Engine diesel - standard 14.5 kW 20.0 HP
Engine diesel - optional 21.3 kW 29.1 HP

SAIL AREAS standard Preliminary
Mainsail 40.3 m2 433.6 ft2
Genoa 1 106% 27.6 m2 297.0 ft2
Furling Genoa 24.6 m2 264.8 ft2
Spinnaker - All purpose 92.5 m2 995.6 ft2

X 35 DIMENSIONS
Hull length 10.61 m 34.8 ft
LWL 9.12 m 29.9 ft
B. MAX 3.27 m 10.7 ft
Standard draft 2.15 m 7.05 ft
Ballast 1,700 kg 3,748 lbs
Displacement 4,300 kg 9,780 lbs
Engine diesel 14.5 kW 20 HP

SAIL AREAS standard
Mainsail 40.1 m2 431.6 ft2
Genoa 108% 33.9 m2 364.9 ft2
Furling Genoa 105% 31.9 m2 343.4 ft2
Spinnaker - All purpuse 105.7 m2 1,137.8 ft2

#94 6times7

6times7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:10 AM

Fair point Marko - and given the 'Winter Series' has been sailed in sub 15 knots so far, even more impressive for a Sigma 38, not a lightweight flyer!

With regard to No Retreat who is JC?

John Corby - designer of the Corby 33. and occasional anarchist, X-34 report referenced going past No Retreat with him at the helm, hence the question about how much of the series he'd done. My understanding is he has no benefit from the production, which is through a Polish yard, or possibly Turkish (some changes between Corby 29 and 33, with some recent updates such as a carbon rudder, blah blah blah). She's a sweet looking boat, although the 29', as a series, seemed to have a better run of results. Back on the money with Quokka though!

X34 & X35 come in at 40/45% jib area/total upwind sail area respectively, way lower than anything else I can find figures for even allowing for other IRC 2 designs No 3 sail areas, - seems to work, esp with large downhill sail area. Interestingly SA/disp figures are similar for Elan 37 and Dehler 36's so must be something in the main/jib balance

#95 Heavy Woman

Heavy Woman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:46 PM

On another note, got sent this X34 race reports recently. They've cleared up in IRC 2 this series, and should be in with a shout for Boat of the Series. Anyone care to comment on their success. Is it down to design or sailors? Shoudn't be that much better preped than others in class but probably have a few more pros on board.

Its the people!!!! - mind you I would say that as I've been out on it - sadly my second trip out was spoiled by the weather this last week - most dissappointing to get all the way out there only to be sent home again.

I have to say - the X34 is a nice boat to sail - goes like a train in big breeze and very handlable - though I think it is fair to say that I also like it because the guys on board are all very cool, very exprienced people, there is no drama, they just get out there and get on with it. They make turning corners a dream.

Sadly I'm not on the boat this weekend - but I'll be rooting for them for a series clean up - they've sailed really well.

Go Flexer

HW

#96 Flaming

Flaming

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:27 PM

On another note, got sent this X34 race reports recently. They've cleared up in IRC 2 this series, and should be in with a shout for Boat of the Series. Anyone care to comment on their success. Is it down to design or sailors? Shoudn't be that much better preped than others in class but probably have a few more pros on board.

Its the people!!!! - mind you I would say that as I've been out on it - sadly my second trip out was spoiled by the weather this last week - most dissappointing to get all the way out there only to be sent home again.

I have to say - the X34 is a nice boat to sail - goes like a train in big breeze and very handlable - though I think it is fair to say that I also like it because the guys on board are all very cool, very exprienced people, there is no drama, they just get out there and get on with it. They make turning corners a dream.

Sadly I'm not on the boat this weekend - but I'll be rooting for them for a series clean up - they've sailed really well.

Go Flexer

HW

They have been sailing well, and haven't made many mistakes. Only times we've beaten them over the course of a weekend was the first one when they were late for the first start, and the only weekend so far where we could break the number 3 out and let our weight and length deal with the solent chop upwind better.
I got told the make up of Flexer's crew recently, and frankly I'm pleased that we've beaten them in any races. It is slightly dissapointing that going into the last weekend we're looking over our shoulder at 3rd and 4th rather than trying to get past the top boat though.

#97 badlands

badlands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:37 PM

John Corby - designer of the Corby 33. and occasional anarchist, X-34 report referenced going past No Retreat with him at the helm, hence the question about how much of the series he'd done. My understanding is he has no benefit from the production, which is through a Polish yard, or possibly Turkish (some changes between Corby 29 and 33, with some recent updates such as a carbon rudder, blah blah blah). She's a sweet looking boat, although the 29', as a series, seemed to have a better run of results. Back on the money with Quokka though!

X34 & X35 come in at 40/45% jib area/total upwind sail area respectively, way lower than anything else I can find figures for even allowing for other IRC 2 designs No 3 sail areas, - seems to work, esp with large downhill sail area. Interestingly SA/disp figures are similar for Elan 37 and Dehler 36's so must be something in the main/jib balance
[/quote]

I gather John Corby has been on board for the whole series do far and was driving on the middle two weekends.

No Rerteat does not seem to be one of the quicker Corby 33's, see its results compared to the others at the Irish IRC's and Scottish Series.

#98 Cats Rule

Cats Rule

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:43 PM

Royal Southampton we're out to-day in usal force, with 3 multis blasting around (seacrat 30, raider 30 and dragon fly). Intrestin when big boats were going round the mark one way and Weston's dinghys going round the other way... at the same time, with the dinghy's having rights. But nippy and gusty out there today on the f18.

#99 waybarger

waybarger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:33 PM

at last a real winter series race and no cancellation!

our instruments went down but would estimate it got up to anbout 18-20 knots and it was bloody cold

#100 Heavy Woman

Heavy Woman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:12 PM

Cold, it was fricking freezing - I've only just got the feeling back in my hands properly - was a top day out though!

HW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users