20 replies to this topic

#1 Buford

Buford

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:26 AM

Going to look at a Gulf 32 PH tomorrow... as a potential 'stage 1' retirement boat.

Stage 1 is getting present wife out on the Pacific for some sea time. (unfortunately the NORTH Pacific).
We are stuck here for a couple more years before we can head for warm water.

I have been nosing around reading about these boats for quite awhile. Impressions: Not a lot of waterline, full keel with cutaway so it's going to be slow and sticky downwind. But she is fairly narrow, deep keel and ballast ratio makes her stiff and points pretty well upwind. Good sea motion for its size.

I want her (wife)to be comfortable, safe and warm (hence the PH configuration). Stiff is good this time around as she doesn't like the rail in the water. If she takes to it... then stage 2 is a bigger boat and heading south. If not, then plan 'C'.

Thoughts? Any 'bad news' about these? Am I nuts?
Other boats of interest... Cal 34, C&C 33-35, Catalina 34, 36. Not PH of course, no doubt lots faster.
Dunno... everything is a trade of.

#2 FDer

FDer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:50 AM

I like what little I know about them, but if you want to get our wife hooked.

Attached Files

#3 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:23 AM

FDer - nice pic but not exactly a cruiser.

The G32 PH is not a bad cruiser for a couple to go gunkholing around the PNW and looks sturdy. It's also got a useful cruising sailplan. It does have some strange looking sections in the bows.
Attached File  g32_sailplan.jpg   29.5K   76 downloadsAttached File  G32_Specs.pdf   328.76K   14 downloads
Attached File  G32_layout.jpg   59.83K   67 downloadsAttached File  G32_layout.pdf   280.23K   12 downloads

#4 FDer

FDer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:06 PM

Maybe, but the best way to get hooked on sailing.

#5 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:11 PM

The G32 PH is not a bad cruiser for a couple to go gunkholing around the PNW and looks sturdy. It's also got a useful cruising sailplan. It does have some strange looking sections in the bows.
Attached File  g32_sailplan.jpg   29.5K   76 downloadsAttached File  G32_Specs.pdf   328.76K   14 downloads
Attached File  G32_layout.jpg   59.83K   67 downloadsAttached File  G32_layout.pdf   280.23K   12 downloads

And they are a little fugly in person...plus that's a lot of bottom paint for a 32-foot boat. You won't be getting anywhere fast.

#6 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:13 PM

How big is the difference between one built by these guys and one built by Newport Yachts?

http://gulfpilothouse.com/

#7 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,345 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:20 PM

There is one down here in SF on craigs list I think it might be the same boat. I remember getting passed by one motoring through the fleet in a drift fest during a race. Looked pretty beefy and seemed to have alot of go power under the hood.

#8 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 05:03 PM

I have always liked the look of the boat but I can guarantee that it will be very slow. Look at that keel. It's hard to imagine more keel on a boat that size.
The bow is very full and there are curious bulges in the midsection introduced to make room for the engine. That is just plain weird. On the other hand, it's one way to squeeze an engine in. But I have a soft spot for anything that Garden drew.

#9 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,458 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:09 PM

I can't imagine two boats that are both fiberglass monohulls being more different than that boat and a C&C 35!

*edit - why not give us a $$$ figure and see what we come up with.

#10 Nomenclature

Nomenclature

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:09 PM

I can't imagine two boats that are both fiberglass monohulls being more different than that boat and a C&C 35!

I agree, the C&C 35 or just about any '70s cruiser racer would be a much better choice.
The Gulf 32 could have come out in 1961 and it's hull/keel configuration would have still
been obsolete. There are too many boats coming on the market for very little $$$ to consider
a boat that will never sail well. And Capital Yachts would not have been considered a foremost
leader in construction quality. If you like the pilot house sort of look you might look for a
Cal Cruising 35 or 36.

#11 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:26 PM

Nomen:
You are right. That design came out when I was in high school and it was an antique then.
That is a 47 year old design. It was probably ahead of its time in terms of accomodations though.

#12 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:32 PM

Nomen:
You are right. That design came out when I was in high school...

I am tempted to ask if the design was chiseled on a cave wall...but I won't :lol:

#13 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,676 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

baba 30 baby, baba 30

#14 sailSAK

sailSAK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:45 PM

True these designs are slow and old, but they will get you there. There is a disconnect between fast cruising boats and slow cruising boats. And that is the $$$. If its fast it is going to cost you more in maintenance, sails, purchase price, and durability. If I were going to go with a Garden designed 30ft slow boat I wouldn't hesitate going the Rawson route again. If its going to be slow it may as well be bulletproof.... I think the build quality on the Rawson is superior to the Capital Gulf boats I have seen. Gulf and Rawson hull forms are very similar, since they both came off the same design table at about the same time. Rawson 30 PH's hold their value quite well for what they are. Plus you can buy 2-3 of them for the cost of a Baba 30! (which is still slow in the scheme of things, and certainly more wet)

#15 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:24 PM

Look at that keel.

If I remember right, Garden said in his book that these boats have some sort of iron-in-concrete ballast, so the keel is fat as well at long and deep. Or perhaps there were built differently than first envisioned.

Standards of sailing performance have changed a lot since this boat was designed. Still, if you are doing the kind of cruising that involves one day sailing, and three days enjoying the pleasures of the destination, performance becomes a lesser consideration than comfort and liveaboard practicality. Would this boat be a lot slower than an Island Packet of similar size?

#16 Buford

Buford

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:35 AM

Alas, the boat fit into a profile that I am seeing a lot. Once loved and cherished... now slipping into decline. Often with an older owner who didn't have the physical or financial resources to really maintain things... but found it hard to let go. Probably a good lesson to remember.

I actually think this hull would sail fairly well, given 15kts or better of breeze. Plus side was generous tankage, easy access to mechanicals, functional inside helm. Downside is that to a certain extent the PH takes away some 'living space' in the transitons between deck levels.

Yeah, my list is from soup to nuts. It is based quite a bit on my budget... which has been er... shall we say cut back due to the economic hard times. On top of budget restrictions I am facing the eternal dilemma... good sailing performance versus stability and amenities. Will keep looking... have a half dozen to look at down in the bay area. As always, suggestions and advice are welcome.

I sure do like the way the C&Cs 'sit' in the water.

#17 Rudder Madness

Rudder Madness

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:15 AM

You may also look at a Bombay Pilot House. They are a lot cheaper than the Gulf's and sail pretty good. I have owned one for a few years and am pleased with how it handles under sail.

#18 Buford

Buford

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:54 PM

>"You may also look at a Bombay Pilot House."

I saw one listed on YachtWorld up in Washington state. Is that yours or a sistership? Googling around, I haven't found much info about 'Bombay' or 'New Bombay' as a builder... or other info describing sailing characteristics/hull form/construction. Any insights you can offer on these boats are welcome.

Meanwhile the Saga continues.

I 'missed' an absolutely beautiful C&C 34 in the SF bay area. Freshwater boat, obviously loved and fully upgraded... sold the weekend I looked at the Gulf for $30 something (asking price was $36K). Damn. (kicks self)

I'd love to have a boat with great sailing characteristics... first thing the wife looks at is the galley and other accomodations. (quite natural I guess).
Somewhere there is a trade off. The Sailing Anarchy project boat really nails what I'm looking for... somebody's gotta build that boat.

In non PH models inside my budget limits... Catalina 34 and 36 look pretty good as coastal cruisers. C&C 34, 33 (a little small inside). Cal 31-34. Newport 33... Ericson 32-35, Islander 32, 36.

Whatever I get, I figure that I need to be able to manage the boat single handed, if CS (current spouse) doesn't take to sailing, that's what I'll be doing so mid-30's are about the top of the size range.

Boat transport at $3/mile (last quote) is a huge factor in what I'm able to buy. Yowser.

#19 Rudder Madness

Rudder Madness

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:38 AM

>"You may also look at a Bombay Pilot House."

I saw one listed on YachtWorld up in Washington state. Is that yours or a sistership? Googling around, I haven't found much info about 'Bombay' or 'New Bombay' as a builder... or other info describing sailing characteristics/hull form/construction. Any insights you can offer on these boats are welcome.

Meanwhile the Saga continues.

I 'missed' an absolutely beautiful C&C 34 in the SF bay area. Freshwater boat, obviously loved and fully upgraded... sold the weekend I looked at the Gulf for $30 something (asking price was $36K). Damn. (kicks self)

I'd love to have a boat with great sailing characteristics... first thing the wife looks at is the galley and other accomodations. (quite natural I guess).
Somewhere there is a trade off. The Sailing Anarchy project boat really nails what I'm looking for... somebody's gotta build that boat.

In non PH models inside my budget limits... Catalina 34 and 36 look pretty good as coastal cruisers. C&C 34, 33 (a little small inside). Cal 31-34. Newport 33... Ericson 32-35, Islander 32, 36.

Whatever I get, I figure that I need to be able to manage the boat single handed, if CS (current spouse) doesn't take to sailing, that's what I'll be doing so mid-30's are about the top of the size range.

Boat transport at $3/mile (last quote) is a huge factor in what I'm able to buy. Yowser.

No, that boat is not mine. It is not a very good looking one that is currently for sale. There were not a lot of Bombay pilot houses made but most of them seem to be concentrated in the Pacific Northwest. They range in prices from $20,000 - $50,000. They were built in Clearwater Florida and the designer was W. H. Scott. Has a displacement of 10,250 lbs with a 3,400 lbs ballast. The main salon has a 6'6" head room which is pretty nice if your a tall person. The forward berth is a Pullman berth, which I like a lot, has a 6'1" head room. Some things that I do not like about these boats is they tend to have thin hulls and have deck problems on the coach roof. Some things that I like about the boat are the great visibility in the main salon/pilot house, has large tank age (60gal water, 30 gal holding tank and a 40 gal fuel tank), and lot's of storage.

Most of these boats were built with a crappy main furling system. This was removed from my boat and replaced with a nice Hasse main which makes the boat a really good sailor for what it is. It cruises under sail in about 10-15 knots of wind between 6-6.5 knots easily. I just replaced my diesel with a brand new Beta 25hp because the Westerbeke L-25 that was in it is a piece of shit and I would watch out for any boat that had one of these engines in it.

#20 Buford

Buford

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:54 PM

Tsu, thanks for the info on Bombay.

#21 islandplanet

islandplanet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:38 PM

True these designs are slow and old, but they will get you there. There is a disconnect between fast cruising boats and slow cruising boats. And that is the $$$. If its fast it is going to cost you more in maintenance, sails, purchase price, and durability. If I were going to go with a Garden designed 30ft slow boat I wouldn't hesitate going the Rawson route again. If its going to be slow it may as well be bulletproof.... I think the build quality on the Rawson is superior to the Capital Gulf boats I have seen. Gulf and Rawson hull forms are very similar, since they both came off the same design table at about the same time. Rawson 30 PH's hold their value quite well for what they are. Plus you can buy 2-3 of them for the cost of a Baba 30! (which is still slow in the scheme of things, and certainly more wet)

I don't know if it's true but many people have told me that Ron Rawson made some changes to the Garden design that did not help the sailing capabilities of the boat. The one person I know who owned and sailed a Rawson 30 told me he would not recommend it. I think there are some other 30ish footers that would be economical and capable. For someone in the PNW a Mercator 30 might fit the bill. Seems to be a few of those on the market at any given time. If I was looking for a low cost 30ish boat for low cost cruising I'd be thinking about a Vanguard 32 or Alberg 30. A buddy of mine recently picked up a really cherry Westsail 32 for a song but that might be even slower than the Gulf 32. I'm not dissing the Rawson but I think there are some good alternatives and based on my admittedly limited knowledge of the Rawson my concerns might be unwarranted. The Gulf has a bit too much freeboard for my taste and I think it's tough to get a decent pilothouse on such a short waterline. But if I was sailing primarily in the PNW it would be a much more comfy boat for year round use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users