191 replies to this topic

#101 rastus

rastus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:44 AM

One is my FD another is a boat I once owned, there is one that I do some volunteer work on and another is home.

Rastus,
What is the boat in the pic 3rd from the left?

Tawhiri a 1933 Colin Wild. Winner of the 1940 Lyttleton to Wellington race and the 1951 Wellington to Lyttleton race. She is currently under restoration by a trust. The pic is of the return trip sailing into Nelson harbour.

Thanks for posting that Rastus. I lived in Nelson as a kid in the early 60's and I well remember Tawhiri then; she was and is a lovely looking boat. I also remember a gorgeous little double ender sailed by the Jorgensen brothers that used to win everything but my long suffering grey matter cannot remember the name of that one. I went to Auckland Point Primary school, lived in Nile Street and was a junior member of the Aurora Sailing Club which looked suspiciously like what is now Nelson Yacht Club. I was also a Cub member of the Iron Duke Sea Scouts and remember rowing the longboats out to Haulashore Island. I was taught the fundamentals of sailing, the old fashioned way, by Pete and Aughtie Harley(of the brewery family) who both used to sail with my Dad on occasions and helped him sail his first yacht, a pretty little 20fter called Kipling, from Picton round to Nelson through French Pass.
I am just doing up an old Opti for my young son and it will be named Pelorus Jack in fond memory of those wonderful times in one of the loveliest parts of NZ. I have lived in Melbourne Aus for 40 years now but nearly 30 years ago my late Dad and I shared a J24 of the same name.

SportsCar
Thanks for that, the ASC as you remember is now the NYC. A great little club that has recently celebrated it's 150th anniversary. There are still a few old boys around, ie. The Harris brothers, the Wins and the Goulds. I'll ask around and see if they remember Kipling

#102 Alan H

Alan H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • Interests:Shorthanded Sailing

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:02 AM

http://www.schoonerc...Amati/amati.jpg

Steve Rander arranged to display her at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Show 3 times.

Almost 2 out of 3 folks on board to take a look at her said

"She can't be a wooden boat. Doesn't look like a wooden boat"

My wife caught me talking in my sleep for years after- "no, she is a wood boat" "no, she's not a racing boat she's a cruiser"
"well, we think she deserves to in a the show" etc. etc. etc. Repeat over 1,500 times.

Sorry I can't post a pic right here. Pitiful computer skills. And a balky hard drive. We were on show with Rage and Hana Mari.

Modern Wood

Paul B)

For some reason, you have to right click on the address and click "open in new window" argh. BTW, that's Tim Kernan tending the really wrinkle free jib.

Amati is now, and probably always will be one of my favorite boats. I just love the design. someday I will get up there with some time and I will message you and bring beer and if I'm lucky, I'll get to look her over in person.

#103 FormulaReed

FormulaReed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:36 PM

Hear is a pic of my 1964 Thunder right after I finished the paint. I have been working on her for about 2 years and I can't weight for the spring to get her out racing.

Attached Files

#104 puddin

puddin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:59 PM

Sweet Okole

Attached Files

#105 maxtrim

maxtrim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Interests:sailing, cruising, racing sailboats, bbq & cervezas

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:08 PM

not my wood, but a really nice Fife of friends who are currently through the panama canal and headed for the Med.

Attached Files

#106 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:20 PM

I grew up on Alden Schooners, those were the days!

Posted Image

Hey Billy is that Tar Baby?

Dunno, I snagged it from a google search. I didn't think Tar Baby was an Alden?

#107 ecosse4me

ecosse4me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Interests:Whisky, Sailing Photography and ski-ing

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:27 PM

Known locally as 'that bloody rough old Dragon' But its MY bloody rough old dragon!

Ah.. mini dragons in the back ground. Must be Aldeburgh with that many Loch Longs. How old is the Dragon, she looks not too bad for a tatty old dragon.

#108 Maine Sail

Maine Sail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:13 PM

There's a lot of wood here in Maine..

Here's a couple:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#109 stickboy

stickboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:28 AM

Attached File  Calin_A_Mara.jpg   14.83K   50 downloads
Wood for Sale!
http://www.yachtworl...E/United-States

#110 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,045 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:56 AM

I didn't think I had anything WORTHY to show this august assemblage, but while talking over a recent cruise with my wife, I suddenly realized I have the perfect t'ing, mon

Attached File  tida_wave_P1010245op1.jpg   148.57K   21 downloads

Attached File  tida_wave_P1010248a_op1.jpg   147.54K   17 downloads

Attached File  tida_wave_P1010248b_op1.jpg   149.12K   12 downloads

Class A 'Work' Sloop Tida Wave, Staniel Cay Bahamas

FB- Doug

#111 Prouda my Pickle Dish

Prouda my Pickle Dish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:01 AM

Hear is a pic of my 1964 Thunder right after I finished the paint. I have been working on her for about 2 years and I can't weight for the spring to get her out racing.

Put off working on her (she's lovely!) for a bit and take an adult class in spelling and communicative english. Or did you do that on purpose??

Oh yeah...

The Beach Boys former ride:

Attached File  three_1_.jpg   41.8K   8 downloads

Attached File  Harmony.jpg   40.93K   10 downloads

Attached File  Harmony_sprit.jpg   58K   4 downloads

"get there fast and take it slow..."

#112 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,116 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:35 PM

WP is made of wood?

9 posts to get to the almighty Wood Pussy?? We're really slacking around here....

There's a WP for sale on Craigslit... on Long Island.

http://newyork.craig.../942316725.html

#113 hyderally

hyderally

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Star, 210, Laser 28 (gone), Hobie 33, Int Fourteen (many years but no more)

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:24 PM

Known locally as 'that bloody rough old Dragon' But its MY bloody rough old dragon!

Ah.. mini dragons in the back ground. Must be Aldeburgh with that many Loch Longs. How old is the Dragon, she looks not too bad for a tatty old dragon.

Loch Longs! I remember them. Immediately after graduation from College (in the middle of Ohio), I taught sailing in Scotland on the Kyles of Bute at Tighnabruaich back in 1974. We had a Loch Long there and I recall that it was a nice sailing keel boat. Nice to know they are still being sailed.
There was a neat local class called Zeniths - trapeze dinghy, National 12's, Wayfarers, Enterprises, a lovely gaff rigged open cutter, "Iolaire". I always felt lucky to get the cutter or the Loch Long to teach in. A fun summer (except for the cold water!)

#114 Matt L

Matt L

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:Racing anything with rags!

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:50 PM

Yup, it's Aldeburgh. Not sure a Loch Long is a mini Dragon, but they do have a great fleet!
Pic is before I'd done much sailing with her after putting her back togther, by about a week after that pic was taken she had pushed the putty out of every one of her seams and looked pinstriped, then she looked very rough!
She was built in 1948 so she's not doing that badly, and I get to sail a dragon on a students budget...

#115 eliboat

eliboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:45 PM

My classic Cape Cod Frosty (I'm showing the fleet how to come out of a roll tack in a breeze). I built the boat a while back with $250,000 I had left over from the sale of some GE stock. Nothing but the finest materials went into building her. She is maintained in bristol condition and gets me laid all the time.

Attached Files

#116 Prouda my Pickle Dish

Prouda my Pickle Dish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:40 PM

Here is a pic of

The Ed's other boat

outrunning the authorities

a while back...

Attached File  post_255_1148072118_thumb.jpg   6.68K   1 downloads

Interestingly, the Ed's Sailing Master is

Somalian!
Attached File  wood.jpg   10.18K   0 downloads

#117 Chiz

Chiz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:56 PM

I LOVE the meter boats. Such classic lines and they look fast as hell just sitting there.

Amen!!

#118 Tranquilo

Tranquilo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:41 AM

not my wood, but a really nice Fife of friends who are currently through the panama canal and headed for the Med.

Aurora? She was in our bay a few weeks ago.

Posted Image

#119 Tranquilo

Tranquilo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:42 AM

Aurora? She was in our bay a few weeks ago.

Posted Image

Or was it Astor? I don't seem to remember anything that is more then two days old. :unsure:

#120 frenchie

frenchie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:04 AM

WP is made of wood?

9 posts to get to the almighty Wood Pussy?? We're really slacking around here....

There's a WP for sale on Craigslit... on Long Island.

http://newyork.craig.../942316725.html

built by Weeks = FRP hull.

#121 nutty

nutty

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:speed

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:31 AM

Gramps boat:
Attached File  real_blue_dolphin.jpg   23.97K   29 downloads

Mine: What is she???
Attached File  cor._lines.jpg   53.06K   34 downloads
Attached File  cor_deck.jpg   43.79K   33 downloads
Attached File  white_is.jpg   36.25K   20 downloads

#122 maxtrim

maxtrim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Interests:sailing, cruising, racing sailboats, bbq & cervezas

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:24 PM

"Aurora? She was in our bay a few weeks ago."

Posted Image
[/quote]

Or was it Astor? I don't seem to remember anything that is more then two days old. :unsure:
[/quote]

It's Astor, last I heard she was in Aruba. It looks like her in the pic, the pilot house is unique. She was originally built as a day sailor, when Richard bought her she had some awful house that had been added, he built the new one, much more in line with how Fife would have done it. They are great people, looking forward to joining them next year for some sailing/racing.

#123 ecosse4me

ecosse4me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:55 PM

Yup, it's Aldeburgh. Not sure a Loch Long is a mini Dragon, but they do have a great fleet!
Pic is before I'd done much sailing with her after putting her back togther, by about a week after that pic was taken she had pushed the putty out of every one of her seams and looked pinstriped, then she looked very rough!
She was built in 1948 so she's not doing that badly, and I get to sail a dragon on a students budget...

She is a very similar age to my Dad's first Dragon, which I think was D K-192. I just hate it when the paint does that pinstripe thing. The Local Loch longs get around the problem by splining the seams.

My dad's old Loch Long is in Aldeburgh now as well, No29, Akela. I was very impressed with the layout and build of the new loch longs from Aldeburgh, when they were up last year, Simon obviously has no problem swapping between the Loch Long and Dragon. Occasional I get to go sailing on them at Cove Sailing Club when my daughter is out on the dinghies. I have not had the pleasure of racing a dragon for far too long.

Have fun working on the wood during the winter.

#124 Keelsitter

Keelsitter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:02 AM

ok let the flames begin I know I know, its a powerboat..but nice lapstrake construction..

No flaming here. I grew up in a slightly smaller version of this boat and it carted me to a lot of sailboat races.

#125 ecosse4me

ecosse4me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:16 PM

She is a very similar age to my Dad's first Dragon, which I think was D K-192. I just hate it when the paint does that pinstripe thing. The Local Loch longs get around the problem by splining the seams.

My dad's old Loch Long is in Aldeburgh now as well, No29, Akela. I was very impressed with the layout and build of the new loch longs from Aldeburgh, when they were up last year, Simon obviously has no problem swapping between the Loch Long and Dragon. Occasional I get to go sailing on them at Cove Sailing Club when my daughter is out on the dinghies. I have not had the pleasure of racing a dragon for far too long.

Have fun working on the wood during the winter.

Spoke to my dad today and his boat, that was built in 1948, was sail number D-K225. She was built in Norway for the Olympics, but never raced as her owner raced in the 5.5m class instead.

My Grand dad's dragon was sail number D-K95

#126 Matt L

Matt L

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:49 PM

Mine is D-K207, Harkaway that also sails on the Alde is 151. There is a whole bunch of missing numbers between about 160-200 that were allocated to the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club but were apparently never built.

I want to try to get to Cowes week this year if I can possibly afford it, sailing the boat round like some of the Aldeburgh fleet used to. They seem to get few classics out for the week.

#127 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

Dad's old Six meter
I had a 1936 IOD at the same time.
Neither of our wives were happy with us...
second picture is as the Six is now - I found her again after a long time. Too sad. Eastern Shore of Maryland

I remember your dad's boat - after he first got it, he kept it at Young's Boatyard, a few slips away from me. He mentioned that his son had an IOD. It's really sad to see what happened to her - she was so beautiful when your dad had her.

The left picture is your dads boat on the old railway at Young's. Brings back old memories (good and bad) of working on my boat on it.

#128 The Original Poor Anderson

The Original Poor Anderson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:35 PM

1926 Custom Schooner "Anitra" designed by my great grandfather.

Attached Files

#129 hyderally

hyderally

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Star, 210, Laser 28 (gone), Hobie 33, Int Fourteen (many years but no more)

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:39 PM

Dad's old Six meter
I had a 1936 IOD at the same time.
Neither of our wives were happy with us...
second picture is as the Six is now - I found her again after a long time. Too sad. Eastern Shore of Maryland

I remember your dad's boat - after he first got it, he kept it at Young's Boatyard, a few slips away from me. He mentioned that his son had an IOD. It's really sad to see what happened to her - she was so beautiful when your dad had her.

The left picture is your dads boat on the old railway at Young's. Brings back old memories (good and bad) of working on my boat on it.

Wow, you have a good memory. Yeah, it is Young's. Getting in and out of there was always dodgy. I recall reaching in the channel with the keel in mud so mucky that it hardly slowed us. In a breeze, you just had to go fast to get through. I remember clearly having the quarter wave drag up so high it washed over the aft deck as we ran into shallow water. Sometimes we'd get stuck though and I remember almost drowning when I jumped over to push off and instead of pushing the boat I pushed myself down into the mud up to the knees. I waved my hands frantically and Dad luckily realized what was happening and pulled me up!
What boat did you have?
Here's a picture of the Six meter just inches from sinking at the slip at Youngs! Super cold and windy. Seams opened by ice and we spent the day in the water, bailing and caulking. Near disaster.
TP

Attached Files

#130 5degrees

5degrees

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:55 PM

Attached File  beetle_paint_599.jpg   68K   13 downloads

Beetle Cat Open House

#131 hoom

hoom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:28 AM

Sure wish she was mine/I had enough $$$ to afford...
Got to see her on the way past at Gulf Harbour on the weekend though :D

Attached Files

#132 USA-7

USA-7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:34 AM

1974 Flying Dutchman USA-1354 built by Kurt Hein
Posted Image

#133 Quattro

Quattro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:50 PM

Attached File  P1010054.JPG   832.73K   21 downloads
Our S&S 53 in the shed for new teak in the cockpit, and some other repairs.

Quattro

#134 Gato Salvaje Pequeno

Gato Salvaje Pequeno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Fast and Flawless!

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:23 PM

These are the trophy's for the 50th anniversary of the Thunderbird this last August! Great kit boat and even better if Eddon Boatyard did your hull! I'll try to upload pics of our T-Bird later. What a fun boat with a nice hard chine! Amazing handler and upwind stormer!Posted Image

#135 statesidehaggis

statesidehaggis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:34 PM

My buddy Marc Turner was on the Clyde with camera in hand when the Fife's paid a visit in June.....

He's produced a calendar....if you like wooden classics...you're gonna love this.

www.fiferegattacalendar.com

Apologies for the plug....just trying to help a guy out.....and they are GREAT pics.

Haggis

Attached Files

#136 yotboy

yotboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:23 AM

Mine is D-K207, Harkaway that also sails on the Alde is 151. There is a whole bunch of missing numbers between about 160-200 that were allocated to the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club but were apparently never built.

I want to try to get to Cowes week this year if I can possibly afford it, sailing the boat round like some of the Aldeburgh fleet used to. They seem to get few classics out for the week.

You should ditch your geriatric dragon and get a dragon for geriatrics (or perhaps not, for they do in fact plane, I dun seed it with my own eyes!). Like you say, lots about your way, cheaper and you can push off the mud easier - if you're never on you're not trying hard enough!
Attached File  llstart.jpg   38.9K   42 downloads

#137 hyderally

hyderally

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:35 PM

You should ditch your geriatric dragon and get a dragon for geriatrics (or perhaps not, for they do in fact plane, I dun seed it with my own eyes!). Like you say, lots about your way, cheaper and you can push off the mud easier - if you're never on you're not trying hard enough!

In Maryland at Gibson Island, we have an Int 210 fleet. Half of our boats are wood, the rest glass. Completely equal in speed - in fact wood boats have won most regattas. Kind of a double ended Loch Long, with smallish sail plan. The wood boats are plywood and several have been glassed over which has made them largely trouble free. (for now). Built in the 60's. The balso cored glass ones are the problematic boats with soft decks and soggy cores.

Attached Files

#138 Gato Salvaje Pequeno

Gato Salvaje Pequeno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Fast and Flawless!

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:47 PM

Very Nice!
We have hull #589 all wood including the original spruce rig.
I'll try to get the photos up at home, if I don't get too drunk first!

#139 yotboy

yotboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:49 AM

In Maryland at Gibson Island, we have an Int 210 fleet. Half of our boats are wood, the rest glass. Completely equal in speed - in fact wood boats have won most regattas. Kind of a double ended Loch Long, with smallish sail plan. The wood boats are plywood and several have been glassed over which has made them largely trouble free. (for now). Built in the 60's. The balso cored glass ones are the problematic boats with soft decks and soggy cores.

Does that come with three sails or two?
LL adopted a 200 square foot odd kite in 1977 I think:

Attached File  Loch_20Long_20week_202008_20124.jpg   47.39K   20 downloads

Adds greatly to the interest though luddites mumped their gums put their boats away in the shed (sometimes for good!).

Most are carvel mahogany on oak, a few mostly earlier are spruce planked. Latest boats built in Aldeburgh (5 since 1993 I think) are strip planked cedar, this has started a bit of an arms race so some old boats have been rebuild with epoxy wedged seams (no WESTing allowed though).

Still on my original spruce mast, jealous of the backstay flicker, tres moderne!

#140 yotboy

yotboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:21 AM

Built in the 60's. The balso cored glass ones are the problematic boats with soft decks and soggy cores.

Here's a thought: As it's a balsa core FRP does that still qualify as a woody?

Stretch the concept. Anyone want to qualify a J24 too?

OK, I'll get my coat.

#141 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,378 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:15 AM

Posted Image

Chesapeake 20's from 1938. Interesting hiking style on Ranger is proof that the contortionistic tendencies of people on the rail did
NOT originate with the Melges 24

#142 Matt L

Matt L

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:18 AM

Not all woodend boat owners are geriatrics! I have at least 40 years before I even consider a Loch Long!
Anyway the dragon is cheaper to run in some ways, there are somany good second hand sails to be had.

#143 hyderally

hyderally

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:04 PM

The 210s do have spinnakers. We can use the class kite but because we sail them doublehanded mostly, have developed an asymmetrical (see pix). Class spin is a squat, wide sail with a short pole. Hooks back into the main on a run and very inefficient for it's area.
The flicker on the masthead is to enhance our cool factor. Actually, the class 210s (we are an isolated fleet), use a huge genoa. We decided not to use that cumbersome, non tactical sail and instead have a nice, class legal blade jib set up. To get back a little power and balance, we bumped out the top roach about 6-8" and that required the flicker. It is a very nice rig to sail and adequately fast, though not as fast as the genoa. Far more tactical and pleasurable to sail with though.

Adds greatly to the interest though luddites mumped their gums put their boats away in the shed (sometimes for good!).

Most are carvel mahogany on oak, a few mostly earlier are spruce planked. Latest boats built in Aldeburgh (5 since 1993 I think) are strip planked cedar, this has started a bit of an arms race so some old boats have been rebuild with epoxy wedged seams (no WESTing allowed though).

Still on my original spruce mast, jealous of the backstay flicker, tres moderne!

Attached Files

#144 sailingk8

sailingk8

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:10 PM

This thread is for WOOD boats peeps, keep it real.

I call serious party foul here! Where is the man flesh ....... (shaking head)

:P

#145 hyderally

hyderally

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:54 PM

Lots of long, slender boats here. Dr Freud would have a field day with us!

This thread is for WOOD boats peeps, keep it real.

I call serious party foul here! Where is the man flesh ....... (shaking head)

:P

#146 ecosse4me

ecosse4me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:51 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if the Loch Long had enough roach in the mainsail to need a backstay flicker, you might even get some weather helm :lol:

#147 solosailor

solosailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:37 PM

Sure wish she was mine/I had enough $$$ to afford...

You might be surprised to find out that she sold at a gov auction a few years ago for about $130k. I should have stayed in the bidding, it was a steal. I'm very pleased that they are out there racing her so much.

#148 Strategery

Strategery

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:36 PM

OK, So I know that this is SAILING anarchy, but Merc has worked a bunch as a committee boat, so I figure it counts.

1946 47' Elco. I've been restoring her for the past 5 years - cruises at 20 knots. According to the log books, John Wayne and Lana Turner used to hang out on her. 11 were built - 3 remain. Merc is the only one in original condition (although I did repower her with diesels in 2005).

To really screw with your sense of propriety, she will be the committee boat at the A-Class nationals at FWYC in FL this spring...

www.yachtmercury.com

C.

Attached Files

#149 -Nathan-

-Nathan-

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:10 PM

Here are my two woodies.

In the foreground a 1984 Beetle Cat,
In the background a 1984 custom cold molded MORC 30
Posted Image
My boats
-Nathan

-Edited

#150 Gallus 102

Gallus 102

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:39 PM

1982 IC built by Martin Herbert

Attached Files

#151 thumper

thumper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Classboats, Sport Boats, Innovation, Cruising

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:18 PM

For all the left coasters and here in Hawaii, the original sled was Ragtime. During the same era of WP, she was is still racing.

Attached Files

#152 Thisbe_8Can9

Thisbe_8Can9

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Interests:Interested in all forms of SAILING not BOATING. Boating is for people who have engines in their boats and no sails. Current passion is racing vintage, wooden metre boats on Lake Ontario.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:32 PM

Just found this thread. Built in 1929 and raced the Canada's Cup for Rochester Yacht Club in 1930. Thisbe beat the challenger from RCYC, Quest, in a best of 5 races. Both boats are still racing in Toronto and my family has owned Thisbe since 1971. Still does not have an engine. Lots of work in the up-keep but it is worth it.

Attached Files

#153 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

Little Stowaway. Blue Jay #2752. Saybrook Yacht Yard built - probably early sixties. She won the Blue Jay Nationals in the late seventies.

Attached File  Little Stowaway.jpg   43.69K   23 downloads

#154 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:46 PM

My old IOD being "mounted" by a fellow SF Bay fleet member - genuine wood flying!

Posted Image

#155 RumLine

RumLine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

Little Stowaway. Blue Jay #2752. Saybrook Yacht Yard built - probably early sixties. She won the Blue Jay Nationals in the late seventies.

Back in the 90's I sailed Blue Jay #4245. Built by Skip Etchells, the thing weighed in at the minimum weight at every regatta. Will try to find some pictures this week.

#156 DarthSailor

DarthSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:07 PM

I learned to sail on Blue Jay #5 in the 70's good little boats.

#157 JMOD

JMOD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:the usual stuff

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

got a call a couple of weeks ago if i wanted to crew during cowes classic and 8mtr champs. Only needed two words: Hell YEAH! I love the metre classes! Mermaids are cool too, but if i recall correct they were started from a 5.5mtr mould to stop the increase in cost.

#158 MT14er

MT14er

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:14s Forever!

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:09 AM

How about a flying woody?

Attached File  IMG_0967.jpg   386.18K   30 downloads

#159 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,045 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:31 PM

Just found this thread. Built in 1929 and raced the Canada's Cup for Rochester Yacht Club in 1930. Thisbe beat the challenger from RCYC, Quest, in a best of 5 races. Both boats are still racing in Toronto and my family has owned Thisbe since 1971. Still does not have an engine. Lots of work in the up-keep but it is worth it.

WOW

gorgeous bpat... I'm sure you hear that a lot!

Thanks for sharing the photos

FB- Doug

#160 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

Back in the 90's I sailed Blue Jay #4245. Built by Skip Etchells, the thing weighed in at the minimum weight at every regatta. Will try to find some pictures this week.

I remember the Etchells boats. I knew of two of them. 4245 and 4242. 4242 was a legend in junior sailing on Long Island Sound. They went like scalded dogs and they drove Leggy Mertz nuts. Dave Pritchard and Matt Haiken won their fair share of pickle dishes with that boat. Several others too.

I sailed against both of those boats. We (our family) had 2752, then got 5261 a red hull named Lickety Split, and after that my younger brother sailed 6200. The latter two boats were glass, of course. When we traded in Little Stowaway for 6200, the buyer of Little Stowaway was there and he said he was going to wetsail it in Essex, Ct. Evidently that did not happen because it won the Nationals the next summer - much to my father's chagrin. We traded it in for a new boat because "it wasn't competitive anymore". The wood boats were fast as long as you could keep them together.

#161 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

Just a little something to keep it rolling:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#162 Pops

Pops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Boats,, woodworking

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:44 PM

Orcas to Mexico

Attached Files

#163 Red Dragon

Red Dragon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Interests:Acquiring as many scars as is possible.

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

I have a 1963 Borresen Dragon, a 1950's era Fish class sloop (the Gulf Coast version), and a Penguin dinghy. I have my eye set on a 210 for this coming year, and in all probabiity it will be a woodie.

RD

#164 slater-san

slater-san

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

"Tinder Box" N/M 36

Attached File  Tinder%20Box.jpg   848.05K   45 downloads

#165 b6sfull

b6sfull

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

My 1974 Vic Carpenter

gettn ready for the hibernation......

Attached Files

• Attached File  003.JPG   558.15K   31 downloads

#166 hyderally

hyderally

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

Makes me weep a little.

My old IOD being "mounted" by a fellow SF Bay fleet member - genuine wood flying!

Posted Image

#167 hyderally

hyderally

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:12 PM

Dad's 6m on the rails, Jones Creek, Chesapeake Bay, back in the 80's . Racing Chesapeake Appreciation Day.

Attached Files

#168 hyderally

hyderally

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:16 PM

Bull and Bear in Annapolis (wintering at Gibson Island)

Attached Files

#169 FINS

FINS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

My 1974 Vic Carpenter

Is this the old bow rudder boat? I think called the GEEK or something close to it?

#170 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

Great re-activation of a great thread - long before Crusing Anarchy we dug ALL kinda boats right here on SA !

Charlie - that looks great - is it a Kettenberg ?

There has to be a great tale in that Carpenter, and I wish Steve Clark or someone would clue us all in about Red Herring - I thought the Canting keel boats were the product of the dyna-yacht guys in San Diego in the mid-80s, patented as the CBTF arrangement. But, then what do I know ?

#171 Andy P

Andy P

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:40 PM

My Cherub, built in 1980,
Attached File  ceriksi.jpg   19.39K   16 downloads

and restored this year ( by it's third and sixth/current owner )
Attached File  DSCN0979.JPG   404.99K   19 downloads

#172 TQA

TQA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Caribbean cruising as long as I can

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

I would not have a wooden boat.

I definitely would not have an old wooden boat.

I really definitely would not have an old wooden schooner even if you gave it to me for free.

However JUST maybe there is an exception. CLICKY

90 YEARS OLD, JUST FINISHED AN EXTENDED CRUISE TAKING IN BOTH THE PACIFIC AND THE ATLANTIC, STILL WINNING RACES AND CONCOURS.

#173 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:44 PM

Dad's 6m on the rails, Jones Creek, Chesapeake Bay, back in the 80's . Racing Chesapeake Appreciation Day.

Not a wrong line on that yacht............beautiful.

#174 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:22 AM

Great re-activation of a great thread - long before Crusing Anarchy we dug ALL kinda boats right here on SA !

Charlie - that looks great - is it a Kettenberg ?

There has to be a great tale in that Carpenter, and I wish Steve Clark or someone would clue us all in about Red Herring - I thought the Canting keel boats were the product of the dyna-yacht guys in San Diego in the mid-80s, patented as the CBTF arrangement. But, then what do I know ?

Kettenburg K-40 hull # 1, the Lady J. We did the restotration...

#175 b6sfull

b6sfull

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

My 1974 Vic Carpenter

Is this the old bow rudder boat? I think called the GEEK or something close to it?

no......oringinally called ORace.......used to have twin stern rudders though....
"Gleek" is in central Ontario being restored by new owner.

#176 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:26 PM

My 1974 Vic Carpenter

I was waitin' for a little attitude to show up. Beautiful as always.

Merry Christmas, brother!

#177 12 metre

12 metre

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

Is Windward Passage wood? WTF do I know anyway? I learn something new every day on this site. She sure as hell looks fast enough. I suppose I could do a search before opening my yap eh?

Yes, Windward Passage is wood. I think I read somewhere years so that she was built of Sitka spruce, which seems a bit unusual, for a boat anyways.

#178 12 metre

12 metre

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

1956 Sparkman & Stephens International 6 Metre

I Know, old post, but can anyone tell me if that Six in the photo is the restored Buzzy III? The photo caption says 1956 S&S, which would be about the right year. Sailed on her many times in the past (prior to restoration)

#179 @last

@last

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:31 AM

"Tinder Box" N/M 36

Attached File  Tinder%20Box.jpg   848.05K   45 downloads

Left coast boat? If so where? We have an almost identical looking N/M 36 cold molded "Moody Blue" here in the midwest in addition to a similiar vintage glass version ("Rush")

#180 slater-san

slater-san

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:44 AM

Tinder Box was originally sailed out of Dana Point in SoCal by the original owner (and builder) until the mid/late '80's. As of 6 months or so ago she was in Alamitos Bay (Long Beach--SoCal). As far as I know she's still there. A little worn now, but in her prime she was beautiful and very fast.

#181 hostage

hostage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:22 PM

Goodwood. Kirby design, Goetz built for 1976 3/4 Ton championships. Raced her in Lake Champlain, she won class in conference. Last seen in Charleston, SC.

Posted Image

#182 Omer

Omer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

Pirat Dinghy, mahogany and teak hull, pine spar.

Attached Files

#183 fogmachine

fogmachine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:Stirring things up from the poop deck.

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:33 PM

Posted Image

Makes me weep a little.

Only a bit of fir, mahogany, and ego was injured in the making of this photo.

It was very painful to watch - a pre-start left-turn-Clyde brain-fade. Not a shining moment for our fleet.

#184 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

Goodwood. Kirby design, Goetz built for 1976 3/4 Ton championships. Raced her in Lake Champlain, she won class in conference. Last seen in Charleston, SC.

Posted Image

Are you sure this isn't a Pari 34? Sure looks like one. Those were S&S lines, not Kirby.

#185 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,251 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

My 1974 Vic Carpenter

It was Gleek, and IIRC, it was not a Carpenter build. I think someone said it was in a shed in the middle of nowhere a few years ago.

#186 Tanton Yacht Design

Tanton Yacht Design

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:To Never Quit.

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:28 PM

Attached File  europeaumouillage.jpg   33.83K   19 downloads
Goelette Europe, 1926.
Re-Baptised by Princess Grace Kelly.
My family boat 1967-1971.

#187 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

Very nice that one...

#188 FINS

FINS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

In early 90's I found that boat sitting in a shed in Wiarton Ontario.

My 1974 Vic Carpenter

It was Gleek, and IIRC, it was not a Carpenter build. I think someone said it was in a shed in the middle of nowhere a few years ago.

#189 hostage

hostage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:56 PM

Are you kidding? It was my boat; I think I know what it was. Don't tell Bruce it's not his design.

Posted Image

Are you sure this isn't a Pari 34? Sure looks like one. Those were S&S lines, not Kirby.

#190 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:10 AM

New boat in a local racing class by a top notch 4th generation racing builder: http://<span class='...uel.com</span>/ with plenty more photographs.

Family used to have boats by them, 30 years on and not a glass of water.

Interesting choice of a name by that owner ;)

Attached Files

• Attached File  Jez.jpg   51.82K   48 downloads

#191 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:40 PM

Are you kidding? It was my boat; I think I know what it was. Don't tell Bruce it's not his design.

Posted Image

Take it easy there sparky. Don't tell Bruce Kirby that his boat looks like a Sparkman and Stephens? Please. The next time I see him I will mention it. Here is a shot of a Pari 34. The resemblance is uncanny. I have a better shot of this boat that shows the teak decks and stern configuration that looks exactly like Goodwood. BTW, the Pari 34 is also a wood (cold molded) 3/4 tonner from 1976.

Attached File  IMG_8845 Cropped Resized.jpg   632.37K   3 downloads

See also http://sparkmansteph...er-pari-34.html

#192 Tanton Yacht Design

Tanton Yacht Design

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:To Never Quit.

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:42 PM

Attached File  europesoustoile.jpg   49.86K   2 downloads

Very nice that one...

The story is even better at:
http://www.ailleurs-autrement.com
Check the video with the transformed rig from goelette to schooner/ketch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users