28 replies to this topic

#1 TexasSailor

TexasSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:21 PM

I'm considering a move to the Annapolis area next year. Am curious - what are typical slip fees for a 20-25' sailboat on a monthly/yearly basis? Would like to stay within 15 miles of Annapolis.

Thanks in advance!

#2 cheapshacht

cheapshacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:27 PM

I'm considering a move to the Annapolis area next year. Am curious - what are typical slip fees for a 20-25' sailboat on a monthly/yearly basis? Would like to stay within 15 miles of Annapolis.

Thanks in advance!

TexasSailor, depending on where you keep your boat, you should plan on paying between $100 - $150 per foot per year for a slip near Annapolis and a good deal more in the primo locations. I pay $3400 per year for my 30 footer at one of the best marinas on the Chesapeake Bay, Herrington Harbour. Herrington Harbour is actually two marinas, Herrington Harbour North located in Traceys Landing, MD (near Deale, MD) and Herrington Harbour South in Rose Haven, MD (near Chesapeake Beach, MD). These two marinas are only about 17 miles south of Annapolis by water. Both marinas are conveniently located to Annapolis, Cambridge, St Michaels, Oxford, Solomons Island (home of the famous Screwpile Lighthouse Challenge), Baltimore (OK, that's a bit of a stretch). Herrington Harbour is also home to the Herrington Harbour Sailing Association (HHSA), a great sailing club with excellent racing.

PM me if interested.

cheap

#3 TexasSailor

TexasSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:48 PM

Thanks Cheap!

How about others? What are you guys seeing or paying in the Annapolis area?

#4 Trendsetter

Trendsetter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:22 AM

I keep my Cal next to J world in Eastport nice protected slip no bridges to mess with includes electric and water and two nice bathrooms with showers for $199 a month a few bucks less is you want to pay it all up front. on the other side I keep our 42' powerboat at near there at the entrance to back creek and its $6500 or there about's I think, and that does not include electric but does include cable... depending on the boat you could dry sail from bert jabins, i think thats around $225ish a month a little bit further up back creek but nice place... hope that helps

#5 Ringmaster

Ringmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Racing on the Chesapeake.
    Chartering in the BVIs
    O Gauge trains in the winter.

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:43 AM

If you don't need to be in Annapolis or a resort type marina there are plenty of places for less than $100 a foot per season. If you don't need a pool and minature golf then $60-$75 per foot at a less fancy boat yard is more the norm. I pay $2200 to park a thirty footer and I think that's expensive.

#6 cheapshacht

cheapshacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:47 AM

If you don't need to be in Annapolis or a resort type marina there are plenty of places for less than $100 a foot per season. If you don't need a pool and minature golf then $60-$75 per foot at a less fancy boat yard is more the norm. I pay $2200 to park a thirty footer and I think that's expensive.

Ringmaster, where're you located? That's a nice savings! BTW, I also hear that slips on the West River near Galesville are a pretty good deal - one of my crew docks his Catalina 34 up in that area. Only issue is that it takes a bit to get out to the Bay proper. But, then again, the WRSC racing scene is pretty active on the West River and Cheaspeake Bay.

cheap

#7 MacGregor_Lover

MacGregor_Lover

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:27 PM

What about a mooring? In the heart of Nap Town.

#8 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:51 PM

TS,
Alot of it depends on what you want to do with your boat...if you want to race (in a seriously competitve way) then you need to be in Annapolis itself, otherwise the transit by boat is too long. If you want to cruise and/or "club" race, then you can be farther away...as almost every river, harbor etc has some kind of racing (beer cans, etc).
Crash

#9 squidworth

squidworth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

Thanks Cheap!

How about others? What are you guys seeing or paying in the Annapolis area?

Jabins $4K+
Mears Marina $5K-$7K
Port A Dry sail $7K
Jabins Drysail 24' and under $300/month

#10 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:21 PM

Something on the order of 6000/yr for a 40' boat at Jabin's.

#11 Waterpilot

Waterpilot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:41 PM

A bit low try $7700 + 08' season slip holder 41'

Wonder how things shake out going into 09' numbers seem to be falling off, by that I mean less slip holders.

#12 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:45 PM

They are expensive and you have to be aboard. Not 24/7, you can go ashore, but you have to be living there. They aren't for storage.
You can put a mooring in the north/west half of Weem's Creek for free outside of what you spend on the actual equipment.

What about a mooring? In the heart of Nap Town.

#13 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:06 PM

A bit low try $7700 + 08' season slip holder 41'

Wonder how things shake out going into 09' numbers seem to be falling off, by that I mean less slip holders.

I think we paid 5600 or so in 07, but we got to the top of the list for the Navy MWR marina last April and cut our slip costs by 50%.

I believe Rod prices his slips by the 5' increment, so you may be in a 45' slip if you're 41 LOA. We're at Jabin's for dry storage again this year and that sure hasn't gone down.

#14 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:53 AM

Hmmmmm - maybe I need to rent out my dock - the renters don't have a boat anyway

#15 cheapshacht

cheapshacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:04 AM

Hmmmmm - maybe I need to rent out my dock - the renters don't have a boat anyway

Christian, are you serious? If so, where you located?

cheap

#16 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:29 AM

What this town needs is rent control and a market for illegal sublets.

#17 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:46 AM

Christian, are you serious? If so, where you located?

cheap

My house (which is rented out) is in Hillsmere and with the Duvall Creek in the backyard. The max draft is 6 feet to get in/out though - but there seems to be a push to dredge the creek. I am kinda serious - and especially with those slip fees.

#18 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:48 AM

If you are referring to me you are barking up the wrong tree - I own the property and can damn well rent it out.

Never heard of such a thing as rent control for slips.....................

#19 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:59 AM

If you are referring to me you are barking up the wrong tree - I own the property and can damn well rent it out.

Not at all and please don't take offense. The discussion of slip fees just reminded me of my years in NYC, particularly a few months I spent between schools, managing apartment buildings.

#20 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:02 AM

Not at all and please don't take offense. The discussion of slip fees just reminded me of my years in NYC, particularly a few months I spent between schools, managing apartment buildings.

No worries.

I think the real culprit is all the damn dockuminiums sprouting up - and naturally the amount of boats (which will be limiting itself for the next couple of years)

#21 bosundog

bosundog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:36 AM

I've seen a trend for the larger slips being more in demand (40' + ), with slips those size filling up along Back and Spa creeks. Since you're looking for a 20-25' slip, there will be more available, and at a lesser price. Check out Spinsheet magazine classifieds.

good luck!!

No worries.

I think the real culprit is all the damn dockuminiums sprouting up - and naturally the amount of boats (which will be limiting itself for the next couple of years)

#22 TexasSailor

TexasSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:37 AM

Good idea on the Spinsheet. Grabbed a copy last time I was up in Annapolis at some famous family owned crab shack (can't remember the name at the moment) this past August, but really didn't give it much of a look.

Will be visiting my Dad up there in a couple of weeks. Will snag a copy then and check it out.

#23 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,997 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:57 AM

what's your draft? some cheaper slips in West and So Rivers.. not sure about Herrington

#24 TexasSailor

TexasSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:01 AM

I'll let you know as soon as I score the boat. :)

Planning on picking up a pocket cruiser once I get relocated.

Where I think about parking her might play into things though.

#25 Problem Child

Problem Child

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:38 PM

The Spinsheet classifieds are also available online...

http://spinsheet.com/classified.asp

#26 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:04 PM

FYI if 15 miles includes Kent Island, you can get a 45 foot slip for $3K.

#27 DancingBear

DancingBear

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:57 PM

My house (which is rented out) is in Hillsmere and with the Duvall Creek in the backyard. The max draft is 6 feet to get in/out though - but there seems to be a push to dredge the creek. I am kinda serious - and especially with those slip fees.

Although Duvall Creek has 7 feet of water at mean low tide, the entrance is a fair bit shallower. At low tide it is only 5 feet deep. Believe me, I have been on the bottom there several times with a boat that only draws 5'6". Had to be bounced off by a power boat wake a few times.

#28 TexasSailor

TexasSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:39 PM

Is this an admission that powerboats actually do serve a purpose?

:)

#29 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:53 AM

Although Duvall Creek has 7 feet of water at mean low tide, the entrance is a fair bit shallower. At low tide it is only 5 feet deep. Believe me, I have been on the bottom there several times with a boat that only draws 5'6". Had to be bounced off by a power boat wake a few times.

Good to know - thanks

I hope they get an OK to dredge it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users