• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 cemseller

cemseller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:40 PM

I found a 43' Peterson name Blue Norther, any information good or bad on the boat would be appreciated.

It's a 1977 Aluminum Hulled vessel so any sistership info would be good too.

#2 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,261 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:25 PM

Did you try google?

http://www.palisades...m?Story_ID=4351

#3 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:50 PM

no sisterships custom boat originally from So Cal/LAYC. original owner for many many years

#4 cemseller

cemseller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

no sisterships custom boat originally from So Cal/LAYC. original owner for many many years

Wow that's cool I think I just watched a video about surfing and sailing with you in it.

She is very pretty, and being an aluminum hull has many years to go. My son, wife and I are looking to sail around the world in 10 years ixne 9.5 years time is already flying. We are looking for a lifetime boat that can be used for this. I have a few concerns about her. I don't know if she is a wide fin or a bulb keel? and I know she's currently set up for racing but I see by the video you had rigged her more for cruising.

Any thoughts would be helpfull, but she is for sale.

Tim

#5 Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:07 PM

I found a 43' Peterson name Blue Norther, any information good or bad on the boat would be appreciated.

I dont know about the Peterson, but I bought a '83 42ft Dubois ex racer in Alloy.

Alloy scared my at first as I didnt know much about it, but i now I would own anything else. For a second hand cruiser/racer, I dont think there is a better material.

#6 SailorRose

SailorRose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • Interests:Sailing - what else is there?

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:11 PM

Check out this thread for some possible info. The person who started the thread also keeps a blog.

#7 View from the back

View from the back

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:24 PM

Is Blue Norther for sale? I LOVE that boat! I've sailed it several times, including a week at Catalina. Right after it sold to the guy in Ventura, I believe, my wife says that gee, we should have bought that boat! I asked why the hell she didn't say that BEFORE it sold?

Is it really for sale? What's he asking?
Yes, I know that boat very, very well.

#8 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,301 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:54 PM

Wasn't this the one that was on the market 8 years ago or so in MDR for a rather large chunk of change?...............

#9 cemseller

cemseller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:58 PM

Is Blue Norther for sale? I LOVE that boat! I've sailed it several times, including a week at Catalina. Right after it sold to the guy in Ventura, I believe, my wife says that gee, we should have bought that boat! I asked why the hell she didn't say that BEFORE it sold?

Is it really for sale? What's he asking?
Yes, I know that boat very, very well.

I would almost hate to mention because I think she's a steal and I'm somewhat interested. Of course the sale is predicated on the fact they haven't done a survey on the hull in quite some time. I'm negotiating with the guy now so you'll forgive me if I don't want to stack the odds against me. I bet if you're really interested you'll find her.

If I do get it though I'll sell you a Newport 30' on the cheap!

#10 garrett818

garrett818

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:59 PM

I saw it up in santa barbra right before the sb-kh race and she looked like she has seen better days. Lots of growth and needs a through going through. Having sailed on her before I can tell you that the basic structure was intact in 2004, always alot of zincs in the water...

... and for thoes of you that want to see my tits: www.swollentip.com

#11 Rod Spearin

Rod Spearin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:13 PM

I believe there were a few Peterson 42's built by Palmer Johnson in aluminum around 1977 / 78. I remember "Sleeping Bear" on Lake Michigan -- very pretty boat.

#12 in_TO

in_TO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:17 PM

I believe there were a few Peterson 42's built by Palmer Johnson in aluminum around 1977 / 78. I remember "Sleeping Bear" on Lake Michigan -- very pretty boat.

http://forums.sailin...p...ost&p=23017

#13 Rod Spearin

Rod Spearin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:30 PM

Thanks for the picture. I raced against her back in 1979 / 1980. Bloopers and dacron headsails, ugh!

#14 Flatbag

Flatbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts
  • Interests:Shattering illusions

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:56 PM

I dont know about the Peterson, but I bought a '83 42ft Dubois ex racer in Alloy.

Alloy scared my at first as I didnt know much about it, but i now I would own anything else. For a second hand cruiser/racer, I dont think there is a better material.

Attached File  Seaquesta_1983.jpg   84.43K   213 downloads

This one Seaquesta! Alfies old ride, put together with loving care, regardless of cost and should last your lifetime and more. Legendary feats by members of the Mornington mafia were carried out aboard your boat in Aus and in Hawaii. Scanned this out of a book recently as it shows what was all wrong about IOR boats downwind in a bit of breeze. "She goes down like a catholic girl" was what they used to say about her :lol:

Sorry for the hijack, now back to the Peterson 43s. A solid f'glass one, the legendary Bacardi, was runner up in the Hobart Race a couple of years ago, absolutely bullet proof and will probably outlast humanity on this planet. Loves going upwind in a bit of puff.

#15 Nomenclature

Nomenclature

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:31 PM

Blue Norther had been donated to the Pacific Coast Sailing Foundation/ US Sailing.
They used it in their sailing program until they sold it fairly recently.
It is a great boat if you want to sail around the world upwind.

#16 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:35 PM

Ricochet was also a 42' PJ built Peterson two tonner out of BYC some time in the late 70's.

#17 whiskey

whiskey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:05 AM

Ricochet was also a 42' PJ built Peterson two tonner out of BYC some time in the late 70's.

It sailed out of EBC, not BYC.

#18 Keysrock35

Keysrock35

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:19 AM

Whatever happened to that boat, was up at JB for awhile... didnt the owner 'mysteriously' dissapear?

#19 egon

egon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Recursion, acronyms, and recursive acronyms.

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:43 AM

Check out this thread for some possible info. The person who started the thread also keeps a blog.

Not the same boats. Doug P designed both, but the "Peterson 43" came first and I don't believe as many were made as the Serendipitys. Additionally the Serendipitys are balsa cored fibreglass, aramid, or carbon.

--Resident Serendipity nut, Matt

#20 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:56 AM

It sailed out of EBC, not BYC.

Is that where Llwyd Ecclestone sailed out of ?

I thought it was Bayview when he first had the boat down for the ILYA regatta.

#21 Asymptote

Asymptote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:04 AM

Good solid boats, will challenge your wind vane/auto-pilot in a breeze downhill.

Biggest caveat is that aluminum is great when you keep the zincs in, not so great when you're sailing constantly in very salty water. I sailed on the aluminum Ragamuffin after a delivery from Oz to Hawaii in '81. There was electrolisis fuzz every where and they had to rebed lots of stuff.

I know another P 43', a Serendipity, that sailed the south pacific for years and the owners had an excellent trip. That was a fiberglas boat though.

#22 KTB

KTB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:09 AM

Whatever happened to that boat, was up at JB for awhile... didnt the owner 'mysteriously' dissapear?

Negative. Owner's around, just out of sailing. Still has a powerboat with the same name.

And to my knowledge, the boat was originally a BYC boat, built for the Canada's Cup in the 70s. Moved to EBC when Turner bought it. He has since sold it.

#23 A3A

A3A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:01 AM

Blue Norther is a pintail Peterson design built in 1977 by Sparcraft in Costa Mesa for Dr. Bill Sullivan of LAYC. Sistership was Terral III owned by Chato Saenz of Acapulco. I'm not sure, but BN might have been the last boat Sparcraft built. She was owned by Bill through the 90's and he sailed it extensively in SoCal, mostly to Catalina.

#24 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:14 PM

There's a Peterson 42 (highly modified) called Settler that sails on Narragansett Bay, owned by the owner of NEB. I'm pretty sure that one is built of aluminum also.

The boat (and sailors) kick ass.

#25 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:20 PM

Negative. Owner's around, just out of sailing. Still has a powerboat with the same name.

And to my knowledge, the boat was originally a BYC boat, built for the Canada's Cup in the 70s. Moved to EBC when Turner bought it. He has since sold it.

Ricochet was a Peterson design that Llwyd Ecclestone had built by Palmer Johnson. Hank Burkard heard about the boat and promptly became a partner. Ecclestone wanted the boat to sail in the World Two-ton Championships and Burkard wanted to go for the Canada's Cup. The boat was built in only nine weeks up at Sturgeon Bay. Hank campaigned it out of Bayview after losing to Golden Daisy in the CC trials of 1975. Dennis Turner bought it and campaigned it for many years out of Edison. It was converted to cruising at JB and has never been seen again.

I personally liked when they filled the cockpit like a bathtub and hung out w/ bikini chicks, although I could have done w/o the banana hammocks.

#26 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,261 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:38 PM

Watch out for corrosion, especially anywhere you've got stainless fasteners.

#27 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:40 PM

FYI Ricochet is 40 feet.

#28 THC

THC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:17 PM

SD:

Remeber the blond on Rich that had the name cut out of bikini bootoms, so that when she mooned you the boat name was prominent?

Sorry for the hijack, but it is Friday.

TC

#29 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:03 AM

SD:

Remeber the blond on Rich that had the name cut out of bikini bootoms, so that when she mooned you the boat name was prominent?

Sorry for the hijack, but it is Friday.

TC

I remember, but I don't have pics. TGIF

#30 transit

transit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:36 AM

There's an aluminium Peterson 47 called Battlestar in West Australia, originally 'Superstar', skippered by John Bertrand in the 77 Admiral's Cup. Bit older than Blue Norther tho, pointier transom, tighter arse end. Raced competitively and successfully until retired cruising recently. Still rock-solid, always well annoded, bit of stainless fizz here and there- like all of them she loved it on the beak the stronger the better but downhill it was snout in the trough, little curly pink tail in the air and squealing, 2 on the wheel in a blow sometimes

Whilst we're having a bit of a Petersonfest, a glass (sorry not ally) 44 named Bacardi came second overall in the Sydney 2 Hobart year before last, (ugly upwind bash of a race). This boat still performs well on IRC consistently and according to the Rolex S2H website it has started and finished more S2H races than any other boat

pretty impressive, really, and good luck to the new owner this year

t

#31 transit

transit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:16 AM

Sorry Flatbag, just noticed your post above re Bacardi
Yeah she's solid glass allright, vinylesther resin i believe. She would have had to have crossed/ traversed Bass Straight 500 times at least

#32 egg&bacon

egg&bacon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:19 PM

We have one in the family, a 1975 peterson 41' Natelle Two, Sorry she glass one though Loves it on the nose the harder the better as with all early petersons and she also has that famous IOR trait of falling over down wind when pushed hard, the poor old girl, Dad also sailed on Otago back in the mid/late 80's which if my memorys correct was a 43' alloy later version bit wider in the stern and but it could actually run

#33 Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:13 AM

Attached File  5.jpg   176.08K   186 downloads

This one Seaquesta! Alfies old ride, put together with loving care, regardless of cost and should last your lifetime and more. Legendary feats by members of the Mornington mafia were carried out aboard your boat in Aus and in Hawaii. Scanned this out of a book recently as it shows what was all wrong about IOR boats downwind in a bit of breeze. "She goes down like a catholic girl" was what they used to say about her :lol:

Sorry for the hijack, now back to the Peterson 43s. A solid f'glass one, the legendary Bacardi, was runner up in the Hobart Race a couple of years ago, absolutely bullet proof and will probably outlast humanity on this planet. Loves going upwind in a bit of puff.

Hijack alert

Flatbag your a freakin legend!!. I always wanted to know what the original paintjob looked like.
Here she is getting splashed a few weekends ago after an internal gutting, some welding, a repaint, sandblast and a cabin head extention. Scuse the crappy photo.

I'll post some better pics once the mast is back in

#34 incongruity

incongruity

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:11 PM

We had a 1980 Peterson 38 timber though, I think the Petersons from up around 1977 - 1980 were possibly some of the prettiest boats af all time, there is a 51' from the same year which was owned by Hugh & Ian Trehahrne which was almost identical, Ian called ours a 'mini' Bright Morning Star. Viewed from the aft quarter the sheer couldnt have been more perfect. The ones built later got internal ballast, shorter sticks, bumps etc.

Sweet sea boat, and managable downhill, I got the old girl to 21.5 one night (tiller, big guy riding shotgun).

There were a handful of alloy, a few timber and a couple in glass down under I believe. Thhey are all rotting now somewhere I guess.

Tin boats - personally I hate them but on paper for cruising its close to ideal just as long as the skin isnt too thin (metal is meant to not be holded) and they need insulating etc all expensive especially if your putting an interior in.

Freight Train (Freisghtless) was a Frers 60 with a 3mm skin useless for puncture resistance, add a bit of corrossion and you have holes.

Incidently I think Frers Jr has designed some beautiful boats, but some of the Petersons were equals.

#35 egg&bacon

egg&bacon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:36 PM

Hijack alert

I completly agree with that last comment and according to a previous owner of our familys boat so did Doug Peterson back in the late 80's
heres a link to Richard Bennetts site for a couple of aussie owned petersons These 2 definetly arent rotting away somewhere

Natelle Two http://www.richardbe...imageField.y=10

Bacardi http://www.richardbe.../...rdi&start=6

It mght be time we started a pure Peterson thread
Any votes?

We had a 1980 Peterson 38 timber though, I think the Petersons from up around 1977 - 1980 were possibly some of the prettiest boats af all time, there is a 51' from the same year which was owned by Hugh & Ian Trehahrne which was almost identical, Ian called ours a 'mini' Bright Morning Star. Viewed from the aft quarter the sheer couldnt have been more perfect. The ones built later got internal ballast, shorter sticks, bumps etc.

Sweet sea boat, and managable downhill, I got the old girl to 21.5 one night (tiller, big guy riding shotgun).

There were a handful of alloy, a few timber and a couple in glass down under I believe. Thhey are all rotting now somewhere I guess.

Tin boats - personally I hate them but on paper for cruising its close to ideal just as long as the skin isnt too thin (metal is meant to not be holded) and they need insulating etc all expensive especially if your putting an interior in.

Freight Train (Freisghtless) was a Frers 60 with a 3mm skin useless for puncture resistance, add a bit of corrossion and you have holes.

Incidently I think Frers Jr has designed some beautiful boats, but some of the Petersons were equals.

#36 cemseller

cemseller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:45 PM

Hijack alert

I completly agree with that last comment and according to a previous owner of our familys boat so did Doug Peterson back in the late 80's
heres a link to Richard Bennetts site for a couple of aussie owned petersons These 2 definetly arent rotting away somewhere

Any votes?

Didn't know there was a cult associated with these boats but appreciate the information. Can anyone tell me what the holes in the transom are for. When I looked at the boat I couldn't figure it out but they were using one of them as a 'boat pole holder'

#37 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,261 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:48 PM

Hijack alert

Any votes?

Didn't know there was a cult associated with these boats but appreciate the information. Can anyone tell me what the holes in the transom are for. When I looked at the boat I couldn't figure it out but they were using one of them as a 'boat pole holder'

I did BDA in 82 on Flyway, ex-Williwaw, Peterson 48? I beleive there was a tube in the transom to stow MOB pole and float with flag on top.

#38 egg&bacon

egg&bacon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:48 PM

Hijack alert

Any votes?

I did BDA in 82 on Flyway, ex-Williwaw, Peterson 48? I beleive there was a tube in the transom to stow MOB pole and float with flag on top.

On natelle one holds the dan bouy with a lenght of pvc pipe running up the port side of the hull. the other has the outlet for the main bildge pump that way when pushed hard there no back flow problem still have one way valve fitted though

#39 Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:08 PM

Hijack alert

Any votes?

On natelle one holds the dan bouy with a lenght of pvc pipe running up the port side of the hull. the other has the outlet for the main bildge pump that way when pushed hard there no back flow problem still have one way valve fitted though

Also a great place to stash your backup SSB aerial and spare sail battens.

#40 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,261 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:33 PM

Hijack alert

Any votes?

"Dan Buoy", yeah that's what went in the transom tube(s) on older Petersons and others. I beleive they were connected to a horseshoe PFD or other throwable.

Posted Image

#41 Capt John

Capt John

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:09 PM

search here

#42 egg&bacon

egg&bacon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:16 PM

[quote name='billy backstay' post='2043458' date='Dec 16 2008, 08:33 PM'][quote name='egg&bacon' post='2043372' date='Dec 16 2008, 02:48 PM'][quote name='billy backstay' post='2043062' date='Dec 16 2008, 05:48 PM'][quote name='cemseller' post='2043053' date='Dec 16 2008, 12:45 PM'][quote name='egg&bacon' post='2043034' date='Dec 16 2008, 05:36 PM']Hijack alert

Any votes?

[quote name='incongruity' post='2042902' date='Dec 16 2008, 04:11 PM']We had a 1980 Peterson 38 timber though, I think the Petersons from up around 1977 - 1980 were possibly some of the prettiest boats af all time, there is a 51' from the same year which was owned by Hugh & Ian Trehahrne which was almost identical, Ian called ours a 'mini' Bright Morning Star. Viewed from the aft quarter the sheer couldnt have been more perfect. The ones built later got internal ballast, shorter sticks, bumps etc.

Incidently I think Frers Jr has designed some beautiful boats, but some of the Petersons were equals.[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

"Dan Buoy", yeah that's what went in the transom tube(s) on older Petersons and others. I beleive they were connected to a horseshoe PFD or other throwable.

Posted Image
[/quote]
you got it in one. Now days you can get inflatable ones so you could remove the tube and give yourself a bit more room down the quarters

#43 Flatbag

Flatbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts
  • Interests:Shattering illusions

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:32 AM

Attached File  5.jpg   176.08K   186 downloads

Hijack alert

Flatbag your a freakin legend!!. I always wanted to know what the original paintjob looked like.
Here she is getting splashed a few weekends ago after an internal gutting, some welding, a repaint, sandblast and a cabin head extention. Scuse the crappy photo.

I'll post some better pics once the mast is back in

You're welcome SQ. I remember a thread on here a while back with various local Melbourne "experts" trying to describe the colour details and getting it quite wrong as it turns out. As for the freaking legend bit; yeah, I knew that too! :lol:

and now we take you back to our regular program...

#44 I flag

I flag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:42 PM

"Sleeping Bear" is alive and well sailing out of Monroe harbor Chgo. Ill.

JT

#45 Pehrst

Pehrst

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:09 AM

One was "Love Machine" later "Fiddler". Beleive she's back on the GL's.

#46 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:19 PM

Geronimo was a Peterson 42 built by Dencho that kicked a lot of ass on the West Coast back in the day. Owned by Dick Compton of Santa Barbara.
Attached File  geronimo.jpg   24.61K   48 downloads

#47 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,261 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:55 PM

One was "Love Machine" later "Fiddler". Beleive she's back on the GL's.

Remember Love Machine, BN Blaine is still in FLL, I think he's an engineer on a big-ass power boat; saw him a couple of years ago. I remember Fiddler too, but cannot remember the owners name, or the BN's?

#48 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:15 PM

Geronimo was a Peterson 42 built by Dencho that kicked a lot of ass on the West Coast back in the day. Owned by Dick Compton of Santa Barbara.

jeez you are old no wonder you're so weathered. are you an original twisted sister? they can not have aged well

#49 @last

@last

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:58 PM

Saw her pass by here in mid november this year (not exactly prime sailing season-snowing when we raced M24's that day!) with rig down bound for Chicago/Mississippi River/Florida.

#50 sledracr

sledracr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:16 AM

twisted sister? they can not have aged well

Eeyyuuww. That's a thought I'm gonna have to bleach out of my head. They weren't all that pretty at the time, just... uh... enthusiastic. And "good sports". <g>

#51 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:13 AM

Eeyyuuww. That's a thought I'm gonna have to bleach out of my head. They weren't all that pretty at the time, just... uh... enthusiastic. And "good sports". <g>

that and a tendency to make bad decisions is all it takes

#52 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:45 AM

OK. Lets see if anyone can answer this.

Back in about 1981 Syd Fisher had a Peterson (I think it was) about 43'. His last smaller Rgamuffin. Went to the Admirals Cup with Hitchiker & Bondi Tram. Was sold to Bill Hodder of Melbourne who named it Vicious. It did 2 Hobarts under that name (DNF the first - broken boom) Did the first Hammo Race Week, then was sold to Japan about '84.
Anyone know what became of it?

I wouldn't mind finding out what became of Triad. A Farr non-IOR designed 45' boat originally built as Raffertys Rules in NZ. Wrecked at Mornington in about '83. Restored by a bunch of 14' guys as Triad, painted red. Did 3 Hobarts and was sold to NZ, subequently sold on to Hawaii with a name that incorporated the name Triad (maybe Triadic - or something)
Anyone know anything?.

#53 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:43 AM

jeez you are old no wonder you're so weathered. are you an original twisted sister? they can not have aged well

No twisted sisters on Geronimo. We never had any groupies. But I am trying to remember the boat with the twisted sisters, big woofers at the back of the boat. One of our competitors. Damn what was it's name. I remember one of the last trophy presentations at the OLD LA yacht club. At trophy time the sisters brought their bare naked breasts to the podium which banned the boat from the Club forever. Actually those chicks were pretty amazing, I'm coming into the dock in foulies and here are two chicks in 4 inch heels and 4 inch leather skirts and a tray full of cocktails. I can't say that our crew wasn't jealous.

#54 Jaded

Jaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:54 AM

Shock Wave

#55 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:01 AM

No twisted sisters on Geronimo. We never had any groupies. But I am trying to remember the boat with the twisted sisters, big woofers at the back of the boat. One of our competitors. Damn what was it's name. I remember one of the last trophy presentations at the OLD LA yacht club. At trophy time the sisters brought their bare naked breasts to the podium which banned the boat from the Club forever. Actually those chicks were pretty amazing, I'm coming into the dock in foulies and here are two chicks in 4 inch heels and 4 inch leather skirts and a tray full of cocktails. I can't say that our crew wasn't jealous.

Schockwave. They get flicked out of YC, annouce the party's moving to the dock, and the YC instant empties out. Trophy presentation over. Classic.

#56 Never was

Never was

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:54 AM

Ah... the sisters! Cavalli? One of Croaky's best boats ever, the Frers. Made an impression at BBS, too. Madro drove and won class with a day left. We were hiking our arses off upwind on a 50 and hear Tone Loc from half a mile way. Here comes Shockwave on the run, crawling with people. Owner at the helm. MacPherson in the middle of it all. Good times!

The Ed was known to play a bit of music too, from time to time.

#57 Snapper

Snapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

that and a tendency to make bad decisions is all it takes

hey, the one with the red leather jacket at SDYC Hot Rum was hot. Shame she and RC were booted for a little exhibitionism... I miss the old Shockwave... no twisted sisters on Geronimo.

-Snap

#58 Chris in Santa Cruz, CA

Chris in Santa Cruz, CA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:12 AM

Did a BBS on Irrational which I think was a Peterson design. It was definitely aluminum. No pennies allowed as I remember. It was nicknamed "The Rat" in Santa Cruz. It had a plywood deck I think and you had to use a hammer to get the #3 jib cars to move on the tracks. The rig was a noodle.

Helped bring it back from Long Beach after a Coastal Cup which I didn't race on. On the way down they death rolled the thing in the middle of the night and got a spinny wrap of epic proportions. They had to rip and cut the chute down as it gotten wrapped in the aluminum double head foil. I mean "IN" the seams of the head foil. We spent hours at a stop in Santa Barabara on the way up taking the foil apart. We saved about 1/3 of it I think. Stout boat. We motored around Pt Sur in 40 knts plus on the second to last afternoon. One of the guys dropped it off a huge swell about 8 ft. Broke the seat off the head but the tennis ball stayed in. You can live on coca cola and not throw up for 14 hours with water flying in the air as long as you spit out the ocean and drink the coke.

#59 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:52 AM

An alloy 42 or 43 footer, claiming to be Syd Fischer's old Raggs of the Peterson variety was for sale about 6 years ago in Sydney... going by the name of Otago
Maybe Inch by Winch was also an alloy Peterson 43?

#60 charisma94

charisma94

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Anarchy

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

An alloy 42 or 43 footer, claiming to be Syd Fischer's old Raggs of the Peterson variety was for sale about 6 years ago in Sydney... going by the name of Otago
Maybe Inch by Winch was also an alloy Peterson 43?

Otago is Rags #4. A Peterson 46 & not the Vicious in question.

#61 Pehrst

Pehrst

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

"Love Machine" was also built by PJ in that time frame, became "Fiddler" US 711 out of newport. Dismasted in the BR in the late 80's now on the great lakes.

#62 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,022 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:27 PM

Yes. The "no pennies" rule. Important!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users