8 replies to this topic

#1 short stick

short stick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:34 AM

According to Lat 38 J92 Ragtime is for sail. Pretty sure she did a couple of hawaii trips, anbody know more about this boat?
ss

#2 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,400 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:43 AM

According to Lat 38 J92 Ragtime is for sail. Pretty sure she did a couple of hawaii trips, anbody know more about this boat?
ss

Are you sure you are talking about a J92? The J90 Ragtime has done a fair bit of distance racing including at least one hawaii trip - very different boat than a J92 - in a different hemisphere - incredible that both very conceived by the same designers/builders

The J90 is a real sport boat - the J92 is in the J105 camp

#3 ULDBGuy

ULDBGuy

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:53 AM

Are you sure you are talking about a J92? The J90 Ragtime has done a fair bit of distance racing including at least one hawaii trip - very different boat than a J92 - in a different hemisphere - incredible that both very conceived by the same designers/builders

We straightened this out at least once before -

The light blue "Ragtime" is a J90 (formerly Rod Johnstone's) - it has never done a TransPac. Ryan Finn did one on another J90.

The dark blue "Ragtime!" is a J92 and has done the Singlehanded TransPac twice.

Both boats are currently for sale. PM me for details on the 92.

#4 ULDBGuy

ULDBGuy

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:30 AM

Christian must have thought he was on the Sportboat Anarchy board, where that kind of comment is expected.

In the 92's defense:

Ryan did the windy 2004 race in his J90, finishing 17th out of 25 boats with a corrected time of 12:06:11:30
In the lighter-air 2008 race, the J92 finished 3rd out of 23 boats with a corrected time of 12:01:19:24

YMMV

#5 Alan H

Alan H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • Interests:Shorthanded Sailing

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:28 AM

I'm crewing for ULDB guy in some midwinters. The boat is cherry, it's flipping gorgeous, it's got nice new North rags and a spiffy new mainsail cover and ULDB guy spends money on it like there's no tomorrow....divers on the bottom, multi gazillion dollar haulouts every year, etc.. If I had fifty bills I'D buy it.

Don't buy this boat. I'm having fun crewing on it.

#6 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:20 PM

Christian must have thought he was on the Sportboat Anarchy board, where that kind of comment is expected.

In the 92's defense:

Ryan did the windy 2004 race in his J90, finishing 17th out of 25 boats with a corrected time of 12:06:11:30
In the lighter-air 2008 race, the J92 finished 3rd out of 23 boats with a corrected time of 12:01:19:24

YMMV

Ha, thanks for bringing up good times Bob. In the J90's defense, my result had nothing to do with the boat and everything to do with my risky race strategy and my poor preparation, which led to three instances of masthead damage starting on the first day. They are very differant animals though, and having done it, I'd have a hard time recomending the J/90 over the 92 for a trip to Hawaii. It sounds like Ragtime is ready to go anywhere though.

#7 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,572 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:23 PM

I'm guessing it ain't this RAGTIME. Too bad :-(

#8 smilingpolitely

smilingpolitely

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:41 PM

I expect RandomSailor shall be weighing-in on this directly...

#9 ULDBGuy

ULDBGuy

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

Ha, thanks for bringing up good times Bob. In the J90's defense, my result had nothing to do with the boat and everything to do with my risky race strategy and my poor preparation, which led to three instances of masthead damage starting on the first day. They are very differant animals though, and having done it, I'd have a hard time recomending the J/90 over the 92 for a trip to Hawaii. It sounds like Ragtime is ready to go anywhere though.

Thanks, Ryan. You sailed a good race under the circumstances - I just couldn't let Christian's slam go without a response. When he has done a SH TransPac in his Viper we'll see what he says about singlehanding "sportboats" in the ocean.

Tuffy you're right of course, no comparison. Reminds me of the Ford(?) vs. Jaguar line in "Silver Streak."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users